Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,503 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

"Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday (12213 Views)

The Celebration Of The Prophet's Birthday / Ten Reasons You Shouldn't Celebrate Maolid Nabiyy / It's Maulid Nabiyy, Let's Celebrate Our Prophet. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Empiree: 8:53pm On Dec 13, 2016
This One No Concern anybody. But if you feel the need to challenge it, bismillah. I have said earlier my post on Mawlud and related topics would be for educational purposes whether I am in support of it or not. Problems we are facing today is people seem to neglect Shari'a rules sometimes. We were taught basics definition of Hadith which comprises of ACTIONS, WORDS, SILENT APPROVAL of Nabi (sallaAllahu alaiy wasalam).

SHARIAH RULE that EVEN the MERE SILENCE of the Holy Prophet upon his witnessing of any event / action (and not preventing or expressly forbidding it) constitutes an implied approval of the same, and it thus becomes an approved action. It is most disappointing to see these days that Muslims are being accused of doing shirk etc at Mawlid gatherings. These are nothing but futile accusations for the very essence of being a Muslim is to worship the One and only One Deity worthy of ALL WORSHIP - Almighty Allah.

Take for example the saying of Shaykh al-Islam Imam Ibn Hajr al Haytami (Rahimuhullah):

The gatherings of Mawlid and Adhkaar which take place during our time, they are mostly confined to good deeds, for example in them, Sadaqat are given, Dhikr is done, Darud and Salam is sent upon the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) and he is praised.......And the second type of gathering is sunnah which comes under those ahadith which are regarding adhkaar Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: The people do not sit but they are surrounded by angels and covered by Mercy, and there descends upon them tranquillity as they remember Allah - narrated by Muslim. [Fatawa al-Hadithiyyah, Page 202] (The fatwa also warns against prohibited actions - but this is standard all year round to avoid prohibited actions)

Definition of Milad-un-Nabi

The word Milad has been derived from "viladut" which means birth. Therefore, according to the Arabic language, Milad is a word which signifies the place and time of birth. In the light of Shariah, we mean, Milad is to remember the events which took place at the birth time of the Holy Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam) and we get the opportunity of narrating the Seerat of the Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam) on this occasion. We also present the Holy Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam) gifts of Durood -o- salam. We mention before the people attributes and praises of the Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam). We do not believe that Milad is restricted to only one day but we believe that the remembrance of the Holy Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam) is incumbent in every minute and second of time. Milad un Nabi (salallaho alaihi wasalam) is a great source of preaching. It is an opportunity for dawah and the scholars to teach Muslims on this Holy occasion, moral behavior of the Holy Prophet, (salallaho alaihi wasalam) His etiquettes, His affairs, His Seerat, His dealings and His shamail.

Fixing a day or selecting one day for the propagation of Islam

One of the allegation brought is FIXING A DAY to send salaam on the prophet(SAW) for example. for this reason, they deemed it bid'a.

Did the Sahaba fix days for propagation of Islam like we see the Muslim ummah commemorating on the 12th Rabbi-ul-Awwal every year??

Read below for the answer from Sahih Bukhari..

Narrated Abu Wail: Abdullah ibn Masud (R.A) used to give a religious talk to the people on EVERY Thursday. Once a man said, "O Aba 'Abdur-Rahman! (By Allah) I wish if you could preach us daily." He replied, "The only thing which prevents me from doing so, is that I hate to bore you, and no doubt I take care of you in preaching by selecting a suitable time just as the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) used to do with us, for fear of making us bored." [Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 3, Number 70]

Of Course - the commemoration of Mawlid should not be restricted to the 12th of Rabbi-ul-Awwal but instead should be remembered every breath we take through constant dhikr of Allah and reciting durood upon the Master Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam). This is why some Ulama in Nigeria also commemorate Milad on other than Rabiu Awal to avoid such criticism.

Problem we have today is some muslims rely on only parts of Shari'a i:e ACTIONS and WORDS of nabi(saw) and discard the other (SILENT APPROVAL) unless where it suits them.

more to come in sha Allah
Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 13, 2016
snapscore:

Like Shaykh Al-Albaani (may Allah be pleased with him) mentioned - The person who is seeking the truth, one evidence will be enough for him. A person who is upon their desires, a thousand evidences will still not be clear for him.

One of my favorite quote from the Shaykh

2 Likes

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Sufisunni: 9:19pm On Dec 13, 2016
snapscore:
With regards to Qur'an competition,

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

Is it permissible to compete for prizes in memorising Qur’an, hadeeth, fiqh and other beneficial sciences, and getting questions right? The companions of Maalik, Ahmad and ash-Shaafa‘i disallowed it, but the companions of Abu Haneefah and our shaykh regarded it as permissible; Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr also narrated that from ash-Shaafa‘i, and prizes are more appropriate in wrestling and swimming. If it is regarded as permissible to compete in these fields for prizes, then it is more appropriate that it should be permissible to compete in knowledge. This is similar to the case when (Abu Bakr) as-Siddeeq made a bet with the disbelievers of Quraysh regarding the truth of what he told them. We have stated previously that there is no shar‘i evidence to suggest that this has been abrogated, and Abu Bakr took the wager from them after gambling had been prohibited. Religion is established by means of proof and jihad; if betting was permissible with regard to tools of jihad, then it is more appropriate that it should be permissible with regard to knowledge. This view is the correct one.

The least we can say is that the scholars differed on it. But regarding the celebrating Mawlid none of the scholars viewed it as permissible except the sheikh I read on the other thread claiming that some innovations are obligatory.

Horse racing and Archery
It is undoubtedly permissible for participants (and not for spectators) in horse racing and archery to bet among themselves. The winner can rightfully own the amount he wins. Islam has permitted these two competitions because such sports contribute to the overall capabilities of a warrior, and a Muslim well versed in these is better equipped to challenge his adversaries. The details could be pursued in the books of legal rulings.
Shahīd Thani in his book “Masalik” quotes the unanimous verdict of the Mujtahids. Three traditions are recorded in the book “Al-Wafi” from Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq (a.s.) which state that except for horse racing and archery whenever a game is played for stakes, the angels are infuriated and curse the people who lay the bet.
It is recorded that the Holy Prophet (S) said:
“Angles are present when a competition of horse and camel racing or archery is held. Except for these Three, every competition is gambling and (also) Harām.” 6
In another tradition, the Holy Prophet (S) has prohibited all types of competitions except these Three.
“Except for horse racing, camel racing and archery, no contest is proper.” 7

2 Likes

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Sufisunni: 9:43pm On Dec 13, 2016
Empiree:
This One No Concern anybody. But if you feel the need to challenge it, bismillah. I have said earlier my post on Mawlud and related topics would be for educational purposes whether I am in support of it or not. Problems we are facing today is people seem to neglect Shari'a rules sometimes. We were taught basics definition of Hadith which comprises of ACTIONS, WORDS, SILENT APPROVAL of Nabi (sallaAllahu alaiy wasalam).

SHARIAH RULE that EVEN the MERE SILENCE of the Holy Prophet upon his witnessing of any event / action (and not preventing or expressly forbidding it) constitutes an implied approval of the same, and it thus becomes an approved action. It is most disappointing to see these days that Muslims are being accused of doing shirk etc at Mawlid gatherings. These are nothing but futile accusations for the very essence of being a Muslim is to worship the One and only One Deity worthy of ALL WORSHIP - Almighty Allah.

Take for example the saying of Shaykh al-Islam Imam Ibn Hajr al Haytami (Rahimuhullah):

The gatherings of Mawlid and Adhkaar which take place during our time, they are mostly confined to good deeds, for example in them, Sadaqat are given, Dhikr is done, Darud and Salam is sent upon the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) and he is praised.......And the second type of gathering is sunnah which comes under those ahadith which are regarding adhkaar Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: The people do not sit but they are surrounded by angels and covered by Mercy, and there descends upon them tranquillity as they remember Allah - narrated by Muslim. [Fatawa al-Hadithiyyah, Page 202] (The fatwa also warns against prohibited actions - but this is standard all year round to avoid prohibited actions)

Definition of Milad-un-Nabi

The word Milad has been derived from "viladut" which means birth. Therefore, according to the Arabic language, Milad is a word which signifies the place and time of birth. In the light of Shariah, we mean, Milad is to remember the events which took place at the birth time of the Holy Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam) and we get the opportunity of narrating the Seerat of the Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam) on this occasion. We also present the Holy Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam) gifts of Durood -o- salam. We mention before the people attributes and praises of the Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam). We do not believe that Milad is restricted to only one day but we believe that the remembrance of the Holy Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam) is incumbent in every minute and second of time. Milad un Nabi (salallaho alaihi wasalam) is a great source of preaching. It is an opportunity for dawah and the scholars to teach Muslims on this Holy occasion, moral behavior of the Holy Prophet, (salallaho alaihi wasalam) His etiquettes, His affairs, His Seerat, His dealings and His shamail.

Fixing a day or selecting one day for the propagation of Islam

One of the allegation brought is FIXING A DAY to send salaam on the prophet(SAW) for example. for this reason, they deemed it bid'a.

Did the Sahaba fix days for propagation of Islam like we see the Muslim ummah commemorating on the 12th Rabbi-ul-Awwal every year??

Read below for the answer from Sahih Bukhari..

Narrated Abu Wail: Abdullah ibn Masud (R.A) used to give a religious talk to the people on EVERY Thursday. Once a man said, "O Aba 'Abdur-Rahman! (By Allah) I wish if you could preach us daily." He replied, "The only thing which prevents me from doing so, is that I hate to bore you, and no doubt I take care of you in preaching by selecting a suitable time just as the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) used to do with us, for fear of making us bored." [Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 3, Number 70]

Of Course - the commemoration of Mawlid should not be restricted to the 12th of Rabbi-ul-Awwal but instead should be remembered every breath we take through constant dhikr of Allah and reciting durood upon the Master Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam). This is why some Ulama in Nigeria also commemorate Milad on other than Rabiu Awal to avoid such criticism.

Problem we have today is some muslims rely on only parts of Shari'a i:e ACTIONS and WORDS of nabi(saw) and discard the other (SILENT APPROVAL) unless where it suits them.

more to come in sha Allah
Jazakallhu khair.

2 Likes

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Empiree: 9:46pm On Dec 13, 2016
FriendChoice:

And who has tell that is part of religion? Do they tell you its part of religion. Example if you celebrate independence of Nigeria as a Nigerian is that Islam.

It's not even Islam talkles of categorizing it as Sunnah or Bid'a. What of Maulud and Salatul fatihi?

Educate yourself here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_National_Day
Yea, I was expecting you to say "it is not part of religion". How then you all got mouth when individual muslim celebrate their own birthday?. They all shouting "the prophet did not do it, sohaba did not do it". Is that part of religion?. So next time, Never ever condemn people celebrating their birthday. And 'you' here does not necessarily mean you. If celebrating national/kings birthday is not religious one to you then one's birthday is not either. Saudi is 100% islamic. You cant compare it with Nigeria and many others.

I have absolutely no problems with whatever they do. However educate yourself too. http://www.almonitor.com/pulse/tr/originals/2013/09/saudi-national-day-contradictions-in-culture-and-identity.html

Now, using (sorry to speak) salafi methodology, "we are to not imitate kufar", here is what they wrote too.

The “National Day” is Bid’ah (Blameworthy Innovation) and an Imitation of the Non-Muslims

Help yourself please and make sure you read http://www.bakkah.net/en/the-saudi-national-day-is-bidah-blameworthy-innovation-and-an-imitation-of-the-non-muslims.htm

Now read the twist by your favorite islamqa website. Who are they deceiving?. They said National day is just a gathering. Dont other people said the same for theirs?. And who gave them authority to oversee islam?.

Help yourself http://islamqa.org/maliki/binbayyah/29785

If milad is bida'a this is bid'a as well. People just twisting base on ego. Abeg, make i hear word. So they can gather for nonsense national and kings holiday, beating drums, dancing and singing but condemn the same of other muslims. They dont want muslims together for religious reason but they can gather for nonsense holiday. I begin to understand more of this crazy fatawa now. This really exposes islamqa. I am speechless. As clear as day light, they are simply trying to protect certain people. Have long suspected that.

We cant gather for zikr, dua but we can gather to dance, smoke shisha, etc. What a world. I thank you very mr. friendchoice for pushing me through. Thanks again sir. Dont come with nonsense to me anymore. I got the picture.
Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 13, 2016
Empiree:
Yea, I was expecting you to say "it is not part of religion". How then you all got mouth when individual muslim celebrate their own birthday?. They all shouting "the prophet did not do it, sohaba did not do it". Is that part of religion?. So next time, Never ever condemn people celebrating their birthday. And 'you' here does not necessarily mean you. If celebrating national/kings birthday is not religious one to you then one's birthday is not either. Saudi is 100% islamic. You cant compare it with Nigeria and many others.

I have absolutely no problems with whatever they do. However educate yourself too. http://www.almonitor.com/pulse/tr/originals/2013/09/saudi-national-day-contradictions-in-culture-and-identity.html

Now, using (sorry to speak) salafi methodology, "we are to not imitate kufar", here is what they wrote too.

The “National Day” is Bid’ah (Blameworthy Innovation) and an Imitation of the Non-Muslims

Help yourself please and make sure you read http://www.bakkah.net/en/the-saudi-national-day-is-bidah-blameworthy-innovation-and-an-imitation-of-the-non-muslims.htm

Now read the twist by your favorite islamqa website. Who are they deceiving?. They said National day is just a gathering. Dont other people said the same for theirs?. And who gave them authority to oversee islam?.

Help yourself http://islamqa.org/maliki/binbayyah/29785

If milad is bida'a this is bid'a as well. People just twisting base on ego. Abeg, make i hear word. So they can gather for nonsense national and kings holiday, beating drums, dancing and singing but condemn the same of other muslims. They dont want muslims together for religious reason but they can gather for nonsense holiday. I begin to understand more of this crazy fatawa now. This really exposes islamqa. I am speechless. As clear as day light, they are simply trying to protect certain people. Have long suspected that.

We cant gather for zikr, dua but we can gather to dance, smoke shisha, etc. What a world. I thank you very mr. friendchoice for pushing me through. Thanks again sir. Dont come with nonsense to me anymore. I got the picture.

First of all it was never a religious gathering Saudi National King talkles of categorizing it as Bidi'a.

People that celebrate their birthday are not doing so in the name of Islam. Are they?

Maulud is done in the name of Islam. Salatul Fatihi also is done in the name of Islam (Its even have a stipulated reward which is greater than Qur'an.)

Maulud is bid'a and all Muslim should abstain from it.

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by President99: 10:17pm On Dec 13, 2016
[quote author=snapscore post=51844990]With regards to Qur'an competition,

Is it permissible to compete for prizes in memorising Qur’an, hadeeth, fiqh and other beneficial sciences, and getting questions right? The companions of Maalik, Ahmad and ash-Shaafa‘i disallowed it, but the companions of Abu Haneefah and our shaykh regarded it as permissible; Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr also narrated that from ash-Shaafa‘i, and prizes are more appropriate in wrestling and swimming. If it is regarded as permissible to compete in these fields for prizes, then it is more appropriate that it should be permissible to compete in knowledge. This is similar to the case when (Abu Bakr) as-Siddeeq made a bet with the disbelievers of Quraysh regarding the truth of what he told them. We have stated previously that there is no shar‘i evidence to suggest that this has been abrogated, and Abu Bakr took the wager from them after gambling had been prohibited. Religion is established by means of proof and jihad; if betting was permissible with regard to tools of jihad, then it is more appropriate that it should be permissible with regard to knowledge. This view is the correct one.

The least we can say is that the scholars differed on it.
A hundred scholars cant make even a weak sunna. The point is, it is still a Bid'a
But regarding the celebrating Mawlid none of the scholars viewed it as permissible
Jst look at hw ur displayed stark illiteracy in public! The great scholars below did view it as permissible, but if they r not scholars then tell me who r scholars? or any Ulama that differs in opinion from ur Wahabbiyya is not a scholar??
except the sheikh I read on the other thread claiming that some innovations are obligatory.
[/b]
This is sheer hypocrisy! Prophet(SAW) never did any Quranic competition, same for Abubakar(RA), Umar(RA), Uthman(RA) and Ali(RA). The earlier salafs(earlier guided believer & not as misconstrued by the neo salfists) never practised quranic competition. Ibn qayyim is entitled to his ijthad likewise scholars like: Suyuti Hajara Hayatami and Hajara Asqalani who supported Mawlud.
U r busy up there, that scholars differ on quranic competition, didnt scholars differ on Mawlud too? infact most sunni scholars supported.
Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Empiree: 10:19pm On Dec 13, 2016
FriendChoice:

First of all it was never a religious gathering Saudi National King talkles of categorizing it as Bidi'a.

People that celebrate their birthday are not doing so in the name of Islam. Are they?

Maulud is done in the name of Islam. Salatul Fatihi also is done in the name of Islam (Its even have a stipulated reward which is greater than Qur'an.)

bla bla bla....You are cornered. I am done. For your problems with solati fatih, i rather leave you in ignorance. That was explained and i understood it. NOTHING IS GREATER than Quran. Perhaps, you might even criticize a hadith which says reciting Sura iklas is like reciting entire Qur'an in one night.

Brother, your case is like tarzan who survived the jungle and then lost his way in the city.

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 13, 2016
Empiree:
bla bla bla....You are cornered. I am done. For your problems with solati fatih, i rather leave you in ignorant. That was explained and i understood it. NOTHING IS GREATER than Quran. Perhaps, you might even criticize a hadith which says reciting Sura iklas is like reciting entire Qur'an in one night.

Brother, your case is like tarzan who survived the jungle and then lost his way in the city.

Hahaha He has no evidence he is having mouth diarrhoea. Maulud and Salatul Fatih are all Bidi'a.

2 Likes

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Sufisunni: 11:18pm On Dec 13, 2016
FriendChoice:

Abstain from what? For your information, muslim population is around 1billion and most celebrate Mawlid except Qatar and Saudi(2.2 million and 29million respectively) which is infinitesimal compare with those that do. HERE IS WHAT WIKIPEDIA HAS FOR U!
ONLY SAUDI AND QATAR DONT OFFICIALLY CELEBRATE MAWLID OTHER MUSLIM-MAJORITY NATIONS DO.Traditionally, most Sunni and nearly all of the Shia schoglars have approved of the celebration of Mawlid,
[6][7][28][29][30] while Wahhabi and
Ahmadiyya[31] scholars oppose the celebration. [32]
Examples of historic Sunni scholars who permitted the Mawlid include the
Shafi'i scholar Al-Suyuti (d 911 A.H.) who stated that:

My answer is that the legal status of the observance of the Mawlid-as long as it just consists of a meeting together by the people, a recitation of apposite parts of the Qur'an , the recounting of transmitted accounts of the beginning of (the biography of) the Prophet-may God bless him and grant him peace-and the wonders that took place during his birth, all of which is then followed by a banquet that is served to them and from which they eat-is a good innovation (bid'a hasana), for which one is rewarded because of the esteem shown for the position of the Prophet-may God bless him and grant him peace-that is implicit in it, and because of the expression of joy and happiness on his-may God bless him and grant him peace-noble birth. [33]

The Shafi'i scholar Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani (d 852 A.H.) too approved of the Mawlid [34] and states that:

As for what is performed on the day of the Mawlid, one should limit oneself to what expresses thanks to God, such as the things that have already been mentioned: [Qur'anic] recitation, serving food, alms-giving, and recitation of praise [poems] about the Prophet-may God bless him and grant him peace-and g which motivate people to perform good deeds and act in view of the next world.[35]

The Damascene Shafi'i scholar Abu Shama (d 665 A.H.) (who was a teacher of Imam al-Nawawi (d 676 A.H.)) also supports the celebration of the Mawlid
[36][37] as does the Maliki scholar Ibn al-Hajj (d 737 A.H.) who spoke positively of the observance of the Mawlid in his book al-Madhkal .[38] Likewise, the Shafi'i Egyptian scholar
Ibn Hajar al-Haytami (d. 974 A.H.) was an avid supporter of the Mawlid and wrote a text in praise of it. [39] This was supported and commented on by the Egyptian scholar and former head of Al-Azhar University Ibrahim al-Bajuri[39] and by the Hanafi Syrian
Mufti Ibn Abidin. [40] Another Hanafi Mufti Ali al-Qari (d. 1014 A.H.) too supported the celebration of the Mawlid and wrote a text on the subject
[41] as did the Moroccan Maliki scholar
Muḥammad ibn Jaʿfar al-Kattānī (d. 1345 A.H.). [42] Ibn al-Jazari (d. 833 A.H.), a Syrian Shafi'i scholar considers the celebration of the Mawlid to be a means of gaining Paradise.[43]
In the Muslim world, the majority of Sunni Islamic scholars are in favor of the Mawlid. [44] Examples include the former Grand Mufi of Al-Azhar University Ali Gomaa, [45] Muhammad Alawi al-Maliki [46][47] of Saudi Arabia, Yusuf al-Qaradawi , [48][49] the primary scholar of the Muslim Brotherhood movement, Habib Ali al-Jifri, [50] Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri ,
[51][52] Muhammad bin Yahya al-Ninowy[52][53] of Syria, Muhammad Ibn Ahmad al-Khazraji, president of the Heritage and History Committee of the United Arab Emirates [54] and Zaid Shakir, all of whom subscribe to Sunni Islam , have given their approval for the observance of Mawlid.
The Mawlid was not accepted by all scholars.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mawlid

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Sufisunni: 11:24pm On Dec 13, 2016
FriendChoice:

Hahaha He has no evidence he is having mouth diarrhoea. Maulud and Salatul Fatih are all Bidi'a.
What about salat usually recited by ur scholars in most of their opening speeches? or u dont know that is a naked bid' a?
Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 11:31pm On Dec 13, 2016
[s]
Sufisunni:
Abstain from what? For your information, muslim population is around 1billion and most celebrate Mawlid except Qatar and Saudi(2.2 million and 29million respectively) which is infinitesimal compare with those that do. HERE IS WHAT WIKIPEDIA HAS FOR U!
ONLY SAUDI AND QATAR DONT OFFICIALLY CELEBRATE MAWLID OTHER MUSLIM-MAJORITY NATIONS DO.Traditionally, most Sunni and nearly all of the Shia schoglars have approved of the celebration of Mawlid,

My answer is that the legal status of the observance of the Mawlid-as long as it just consists of a meeting together by the people, a recitation of apposite parts of the Qur'an , the recounting of transmitted accounts of the beginning of (the biography of) the Prophet-may God bless him and grant him peace-and the wonders that took place during his birth, all of which is then followed by a banquet that is served to them and from which they eat-is a good innovation (bid'a hasana), for which one is rewarded because of the esteem shown for the position of the Prophet-may God bless him and grant him peace-that is implicit in it, and because of the expression of joy and happiness on his-may God bless him and grant him peace-noble birth. [33]

The Shafi'i scholar Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani (d 852 A.H.) too approved of the Mawlid [34] and states that:

As for what is performed on the day of the Mawlid, one should limit oneself to what expresses thanks to God, such as the things that have already been mentioned: [Qur'anic] recitation, serving food, alms-giving, and recitation of praise [poems] about the Prophet-may God bless him and grant him peace-and g which motivate people to perform good deeds and act in view of the next world.[35]

The Damascene Shafi'i scholar Abu Shama (d 665 A.H.) (who was a teacher of Imam al-Nawawi (d 676 A.H.)) also supports the celebration of the Mawlid
[36][37] as does the Maliki scholar Ibn al-Hajj (d 737 A.H.) who spoke positively of the observance of the Mawlid in his book al-Madhkal .[38] Likewise, the Shafi'i Egyptian scholar
Ibn Hajar al-Haytami (d. 974 A.H.) was an avid supporter of the Mawlid and wrote a text in praise of it. [39] This was supported and commented on by the Egyptian scholar and former head of Al-Azhar University Ibrahim al-Bajuri[39] and by the Hanafi Syrian
Mufti Ibn Abidin. [40] Another Hanafi Mufti Ali al-Qari (d. 1014 A.H.) too supported the celebration of the Mawlid and wrote a text on the subject
Muḥammad ibn Jaʿfar al-Kattānī (d. 1345 A.H.). [42] Ibn al-Jazari (d. 833 A.H.), a Syrian Shafi'i scholar considers the celebration of the Mawlid to be a means of gaining Paradise.[43]
In the Muslim world, the majority of Sunni Islamic scholars are in favor of the Mawlid. [44] Examples include the former Grand Mufi of Al-Azhar University Ali Gomaa, [45] Muhammad Alawi al-Maliki [46][47] of Saudi Arabia, Yusuf al-Qaradawi , [48][49] the primary scholar of the Muslim Brotherhood movement, Habib Ali al-Jifri, [50] Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri ,
[51][52] Muhammad bin Yahya al-Ninowy[52][53] of Syria, Muhammad Ibn Ahmad al-Khazraji, president of the Heritage and History Committee of the United Arab Emirates [54] and Zaid Shakir, all of whom subscribe to Sunni Islam , have given their approval for the observance of Mawlid.
[/s]

Summarize what you're trying to says. Don't have don't time to read this long essay. What exactly in the post that make Maulud Sunnah. This people celebrate this people celebrate is not the question here.

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 11:42pm On Dec 13, 2016
Sufisunni:
What about salat usually recited by ur scholars in most of their opening speeches? or u dont know that is a naked bid' a?

What about. What about. What about. When you cannot answer this you move to this.

'Innal hamdalillaah, nahmaduhu wanasta’inuhu, wanastaghfiruh. Wana’udzubillaahi minsyururi
anfusina wamin sayyiati a’amalina, may yahdihillahu fala mudillalah, wamay yud’lil fala hadiyalah. Asyhadu alailahaillallahu wahdahu la sharikalah wa assyhadu anna muhammadan abduhu warasuluh.Salallahu'alaihi wa 'ala alihi wa sahbihi wa man tabi'ahum bi ihsanin illa yaumiddiin'. Fainna ashdaqal hadits kitabaLLAH wa khairal hadyi hadyu Muhammad Salallahu alaihiwassalam, wa sharral ‘umuri muhdasatuha, Wa kullu muhdasatin bid’ah. wa kullu bid’atin dhalalah wa kullu dhalalatin fin nar.

3 Likes

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Empiree: 11:56pm On Dec 13, 2016
President99:
This is sheer hypocrisy! Prophet(SAW) never did any quranic competition, same for Abubakar(AS), Umar(AS), Uthman(AS) and Ali(AS). The earlier salafs(earlier guided believer & not as misconstrued by the neo salfists) never practised quranic competition. Ibn qayyim is entitled his ijtihad likewise scholars like: Suyuti and Hajara Asqalani who supported Mawlud.
U r busy up there, that scholars differ on quranic competition, didnt scholars differ on Mawlud too? infact most sunni scholars supported.
Seconded. You understood my point. Thanks. They don't understand noffing

2 Likes

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Sufisunni: 12:00am On Dec 14, 2016
FriendChoice:
[s][/s]

Summarize what you're trying to says. Don't have don't time to read this long essay. What exactly in the post that make Maulud Sunnah. This people celebrate this people celebrate is not the question here.
What do u think that makes quranic competition sunnah?
Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Sufisunni: 12:02am On Dec 14, 2016
FriendChoice:

What about. What about. What about. When you cannot answer this you move to this.

'Innal hamdalillaah, nahmaduhu wanasta’inuhu, wanastaghfiruh. Wana’udzubillaahi minsyururi
anfusina wamin sayyiati a’amalina, may yahdihillahu fala mudillalah, wamay yud’lil fala hadiyalah. Asyhadu alailahaillallahu wahdahu la sharikalah wa assyhadu anna muhammadan abduhu warasuluh.Salallahu'alaihi wa 'ala alihi wa sahbihi wa man tabi'ahum bi ihsanin illa yaumiddiin'. Fainna ashdaqal hadits kitabaLLAH wa khairal hadyi hadyu Muhammad Salallahu alaihiwassalam, wa sharral ‘umuri muhdasatuha, Wa kullu muhdasatin bid’ah. wa kullu bid’atin dhalalah wa kullu dhalalatin fin nar.
I s this sunnatic?
Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 12:05am On Dec 14, 2016
Sufisunni:

I never said it's Sunnah or Bidi'a. Go back to my previous post. There you will see how school of taught (Malik, Hanbali, Shafi'i... etc) view it. Some take it as permissible backing it with horse racing hadith while others don't. Am on their stand (Which one of the school of taught am in regarding this issue does not concern you.) My question is which school of taught recognized Maulud with proof?

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 12:12am On Dec 14, 2016
Sufisunni:
I s this sunnatic?

This was recited by the prophet himself.

ﻋَﻤْﺮُﻭ ﺑْﻦُ ﻣَﻨْﺼُﻮﺭٍ، ﻗَﺎﻝَ ﺣَﺪَّﺛَﻨَﺎ ﻣُﺤَﻤَّﺪُ ﺑْﻦُ ﻋِﻴﺴَﻰ، ﻗَﺎﻝَ
ﺣَﺪَّﺛَﻨَﺎ ﻳَﺤْﻴَﻰ ﺑْﻦُ ﺯَﻛَﺮِﻳَّﺎ ﺑْﻦِ ﺃَﺑِﻲ ﺯَﺍﺋِﺪَﺓَ، ﻋَﻦْ ﺩَﺍﻭُﺩَ، ﻋَﻦْ ﻋَﻤْﺮِﻭ
ﺑْﻦِ ﺳَﻌِﻴﺪٍ، ﻋَﻦْ ﺳَﻌِﻴﺪِ ﺑْﻦِ ﺟُﺒَﻴْﺮٍ، ﻋَﻦِ ﺍﺑْﻦِ ﻋَﺒَّﺎﺱٍ، ﺃَﻥَّ ﺭَﺟُﻼً، ﻛَﻠَّﻢَ
ﺍﻟﻨَّﺒِﻲَّ ﺻﻠﻰ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﻭﺳﻠﻢ ﻓِﻲ ﺷَﻰْﺀٍ ﻓَﻘَﺎﻝَ ﺍﻟﻨَّﺒِﻲُّ ﺻﻠﻰ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ
ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﻭﺳﻠﻢ " ﺇِﻥَّ ﺍﻟْﺤَﻤْﺪَ ﻟِﻠَّﻪِ ﻧَﺤْﻤَﺪُﻩُ ﻭَﻧَﺴْﺘَﻌِﻴﻨُﻪُ ﻣَﻦْ ﻳَﻬْﺪِﻩِ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪُ
ﻓَﻼَ ﻣُﻀِﻞَّ ﻟَﻪُ ﻭَﻣَﻦْ ﻳُﻀْﻠِﻞِ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪُ ﻓَﻼَ ﻫَﺎﺩِﻱَ ﻟَﻪُ ﻭَﺃَﺷْﻬَﺪُ ﺃَﻥْ ﻻَ ﺇِﻟَﻪَ
ﺇِﻻَّ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪُ ﻭَﺣْﺪَﻩُ ﻻَ ﺷَﺮِﻳﻚَ ﻟَﻪُ ﻭَﺃَﺷْﻬَﺪُ ﺃَﻥَّ ﻣُﺤَﻤَّﺪًﺍ ﻋَﺒْﺪُﻩُ ﻭَﺭَﺳُﻮﻟُﻪُ
ﺃَﻣَّﺎ ﺑَﻌْﺪُ " .
Reference : Sunan an-Nasa'i 3278
In-book reference : Book 26, Hadith 83
English translation : Vol. 4, Book 26, Hadith 3280.

By the way this is not the topic. Answer the question on Maulud.

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Sufisunni: 12:35am On Dec 14, 2016
FriendChoice:

I never said it's Sunnah or Bidi'a. Go back to my previous post. There you will see how school of taught (Malik, Hanbali, Shafi'i) view it. Some take it as permissible backing it with horse racing hadith while others don't. Am on their stand (Which one of the school of taught am in regarding this issue does not concern you.) My question is which school of taught recognized Maulud with proof?
hope u dont have cognition challenge! Go back to my post to read up on Mawlid. Nevertheless, None of the four sunni imams categorically supported Quranic competition and ur arrangement of sunni schools' views is a blatant lie; it never happened in history that schools took such position just a collection of various scholars' thoughts. Now ur situation is quite pathetic! After braging in ur earlier posts that everything that is neither from quran nor hadiths should be discarded, but here u r resorting to Ijtihad of followers of sunni imams not even the imams. In ur wildest imagination Imam Suyuti and Hajar Asaqalani and host of other scholars who supported Mawlid were what?

3 Likes

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Sufisunni: 12:38am On Dec 14, 2016
FriendChoice:

ﺣَﺪَّﺛَﻨَﺎ ﻳَﺤْﻴَﻰ ﺑْﻦُ ﺯَﻛَﺮِﻳَّﺎ ﺑْﻦِ ﺃَﺑِﻲ ﺯَﺍﺋِﺪَﺓَ، ﻋَﻦْ ﺩَﺍﻭُﺩَ، ﻋَﻦْ ﻋَﻤْﺮِﻭ
ﺑْﻦِ ﺳَﻌِﻴﺪٍ، ﻋَﻦْ ﺳَﻌِﻴﺪِ ﺑْﻦِ ﺟُﺒَﻴْﺮٍ، ﻋَﻦِ ﺍﺑْﻦِ ﻋَﺒَّﺎﺱٍ، ﺃَﻥَّ ﺭَﺟُﻼً، ﻛَﻠَّﻢَ
ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﻭﺳﻠﻢ " ﺇِﻥَّ ﺍﻟْﺤَﻤْﺪَ ﻟِﻠَّﻪِ ﻧَﺤْﻤَﺪُﻩُ ﻭَﻧَﺴْﺘَﻌِﻴﻨُﻪُ ﻣَﻦْ ﻳَﻬْﺪِﻩِ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪُ
ﻓَﻼَ ﻣُﻀِﻞَّ ﻟَﻪُ ﻭَﻣَﻦْ ﻳُﻀْﻠِﻞِ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪُ ﻓَﻼَ ﻫَﺎﺩِﻱَ ﻟَﻪُ ﻭَﺃَﺷْﻬَﺪُ ﺃَﻥْ ﻻَ ﺇِﻟَﻪَ
ﺇِﻻَّ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪُ ﻭَﺣْﺪَﻩُ ﻻَ ﺷَﺮِﻳﻚَ ﻟَﻪُ ﻭَﺃَﺷْﻬَﺪُ ﺃَﻥَّ ﻣُﺤَﻤَّﺪًﺍ ﻋَﺒْﺪُﻩُ ﻭَﺭَﺳُﻮﻟُﻪُ
ﺃَﻣَّﺎ ﺑَﻌْﺪُ " .

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 12:58am On Dec 14, 2016
Sufisunni:
hope u dont have cognition challenge! Go back to my post to read up on Mawlid. Nevertheless, None of the four sunni imams categorically supported Quranic competition and ur arrangement of sunni schools' views is a blatant lie; it never happened in history that schools took such position just a collection of various scholars' thoughts. Now ur situation is quite pathetic! After braging in ur earlier posts that everything that is neither from quran nor hadiths should be discarded, but here u r resorting to Ijtihad of followers of sunni imams not even the imams. In ur wildest imagination Imam Suyuti and Hajar Asaqalani and host of other scholars who supported Mawlid were what?

Lair will continue to lie. Let me help you if you cannot go back and read.

Look at you. I have never tell you I do Qur'an competition or not. I accept it or not is not your own business. The below is my stand.

snapscore:
With regards to Qur'an competition,

What of Maulud? We will past on Monday of every week inshaAllah that's what He (SAW) did regarding his birth day not your innovation. Go and practice your innovation but we will never do so and we will tell people to fast on Monday and stay away from Maulud (The christmas of Sufis)

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 12:58am On Dec 14, 2016
[s]
Sufisunni:

[/s]

Repeating the same previous trash on who did Maulud or did not.. How many people. Majority this Majority that bla bla bla.. Is that the question? Let the whole world do Maulud. That will never make it Sunnah and we will not do it.

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Sufisunni: 1:37am On Dec 14, 2016
FriendChoice:

Look at you. I have never tell you I do Qur'an competition or not. I accept it or not is not your own business. The below is my stand.

What of Maulud? We will past on Monday of every week inshaAllah that's what He (SAW) did regarding his birth day not your innovation. Go and practice your innovation but we will never do so and we will tell people to fast on Monday and stay away from Maulud (The christmas of Sufis)
The christmas of Wahhabis is Saudi National day

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Sufisunni: 1:44am On Dec 14, 2016
FriendChoice:

Happy reading!
Horse racing and Archery
It is undoubtedly permissible for participants (and not for spectators) in horse racing and archery to bet among themselves. The winner can rightfully own the amount he wins. Islam has permitted these two competitions because such sports contribute to the overall capabilities of a warrior, and a Muslim well versed in these is better equipped to challenge his adversaries. The details could be pursued in the books of legal rulings.
Shahīd Thani in his book “Masalik” quotes the unanimous verdict of the Mujtahids. Three traditions are recorded in the book “Al-Wafi” from Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq (a.s.) which state that except for horse racing and archery whenever a game is played for stakes, the angels are infuriated and curse the people who lay the bet.
“Angles are present when a competition of horse and camel racing or archery is held. Except for these Three, every competition is gambling and (also) Harām.” 6
In another tradition, the Holy Prophet (S) has prohibited all types of competitions except these Three.
“Except for horse racing, camel racing and archery, no contest is proper.”
Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Empiree: 1:57am On Dec 14, 2016
Sufisunni:
U dey mind him grin

He was skeptical bcuz he realized mawlud falls in the same category. That's why he refused to give his opinion on Quran competitions.

He knew where I was driving him at that's why he was careful not to fall on my hands cheesy

He cant deny ALL Muslims and ALL Muslim countries favored it. That's why I pressured him that, by his definition of bidah, "whatever not practiced by nabi (saw) or companions is bidah". This competetions of quran is in that category. So those saying there is no bid'a hassanat must be living in disneyland grin unless they would admit it's bidah which I don't believe.

Those imams he highlighted are not companions. They came after tab'in or tab'in themselves. What excuse does he have now.

Make I trouble him small about hadith (he posted) usually recited at khutba......

I dey come in sha Allah

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Sufisunni: 2:18am On Dec 14, 2016
FriendChoice:

ﺃَﻣَّﺎ ﺑَﻌْﺪُ " .

Here is what I was asking u ' Allahuma sali ala Muhammad wa ala ahlihi wa ala as'abihi ajmain' and other two Which r too lengthy for to bw written now. Tommorow I would upload it audio. So which hadith is this salat from

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Empiree: 4:04am On Dec 14, 2016
FriendChoice:

No one denies this hadith usually quoted on juma'ah. But if you think everything is bida base on this hadith, then, ALL Muslims are in bida one way or the other.

That means you take the above hadith literally just like "73 sects". Obviously if we count all sects carefully, they are more than 73. Every now and then, there have been sects coming up. Anytime someone wants to write about 73 sects, before they finish the book, another sect emerges which proves the hadith is not talking literally.

See attachment for its explanation of bidah

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 8:39am On Dec 14, 2016
Empiree:
No one denies this hadith usually quoted on juma'ah. But if you think everything is bida base on this hadith, then, ALL Muslims are in bida one way or the other.

That means you take the above hadith literally just like "73 sects". Obviously if we count all sects carefully, they are more than 73. Every now and then, there have been sects coming up. Anytime someone wants to write about 73 sects, before they finish the book, another sect emerges which proves the hadith is not talking literally.

See attachment for its explanation of bidah

We are not talking on Jumuah or 73 sect. He ask whether its sunnatic or not.

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 8:46am On Dec 14, 2016
[s]
Sufisunni:
Happy reading!
Horse racing and Archery
“Except for horse racing, camel racing and archery, no contest is proper.”
[/s]

We are talking on Maulud not this your explanation. I couldn't see where you point out it's Sunnah.

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 14, 2016
Sufisunni:
Here is what I was asking u ' Allahuma sali ala Muhammad wa ala ahlihi wa ala as'abihi ajmain' and other two Which r too lengthy for to bw written now. Tommorow I would upload it audio. So which hadith is this salat from

Am not here to be answering your questions. From this you move to this from that you move to that.

My question and the topic is clear. How did Maulud become Sunnah? It's Bidi'a and we shall tell people to stop it. Those who will hear will hear and they will fast on Monday as birth day of the prophet not celebration on 12 rabiul awwal. Deaf and Dumb will continue to do so.

Regarding the salat. You should go and find out whether it's Sunnah or not. But this thread was not for that. How did Maulud become Sunnah (Sufi version of Christmas)

1 Like

Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by shawl: 9:11am On Dec 14, 2016
lexiconkabir:

imagine him saying what i did not say..

The context was set: "Reasons why you should not celebrate maulud...", then you brought the quotation from imam Malik, rahmatUllahi alayh. So I replied you with the context in view.

Or were you quoting out of context?
Re: "Reasons Why You Should Not Celebrate Maulud Nabiyy: Supposed Prophet's Birthday by Nobody: 9:23am On Dec 14, 2016
shawl:

The context was set: "Reasons why you should not celebrate maulud...", then you brought the quotation from imam Malik, rahmatUllahi alayh. So I replied you with the context in view.

Or were you quoting out of context?

you claimed, i made that quote because imam maalik made the statement specifically for mawlud which i did not say.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Man Who Stole Some Flour And Lessons From The Quran / Atheism, Islam And Paganism: The Meeting Point / Can A Pregnant Or A Nursing Mother Fast During Ramadan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 190
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.