Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! (26879 Views)

Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe / Famous Quotes By Ojukwu / History Lesson 2: Gideon Orkar Broadcast Message-unedited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Onlytruth(m): 8:35pm On Nov 15, 2009
Duduknight:

It is obvious from your post that your view is that everyone in Nigeria is guilty except for people from the east. We all know that can not be true. If what you are looking for is for the North and the South-West to acknowledge and apologise to the East, the IT IS NEVER going to happen. Like I said previously, if you feel so strongly about, quit whining on the Internet and do something about it.

It is presumptious of you to imply that all the Igbo crave is an apology. You even sound trite! Did you even read my last post?

You do not care what led to the regrettable events in the 1960s because IGBO officers were responsible for starting the death and destruction but you want others to acknowledge and apologise for sins committed against the Igbos. Keep that line of thought.

Familiar line of murderous thinking! The Tutsi rebels killed the Hutu President (Juvenal Habyarimana), hence the Hutus were justified in butchering 800,000 Tutsi civilians, most of them neighbors and friends. Nigeria is really a very funny country. I hope my Igbo brothers and sisters, and the minorities are reading this!
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Onlytruth(m): 8:44pm On Nov 15, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Onlytruth - How can shared values be more important than bringing rapists and murderers to book and seeing that justice is done?

@Sapeleguy

I'm just saying that seeking justice in an atmosphere of different value systems is an exercise in futility, and Duduknight just proved me right.
Justice only means the same to peoples of shared values. Nigeria just never bothered to ensure that component tribes and peoples shared values before creating a single nation.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Duduknight(m): 8:46pm On Nov 15, 2009
Onlytruth:

It is presumptious of you to assume that all the Igbo crave is an apology. You even sound trite! Did you even read my last post?

Familiar line of murderous thinking! The Tutsi rebels killed the Hutu President (Juvenal Habyarimana), hence the Hutus were justified in butchering 800,000 Tutsi civilians, most of them neighbors and friends. Nigeria is really a very funny country. I hope my Igbo brothers and sisters, and the minorities are reading this!

Continue with your claustrophobic mind-set; the only views you want are the ones that are similar to yours. I have made my point, I will not discuss it further with you.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by WilyWily: 8:47pm On Nov 15, 2009
no one need you, Bye Bye
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Onlytruth(m): 8:53pm On Nov 15, 2009
Duduknight:

Continue with your claustrophobic mind-set; the only views you want are the ones that are similar to yours. I have made my point, I will not discuss it further with you.

No, c'mon! let's see how you re-write your murderous history and mask your justification for a continuation of such tendencies; yet, you pretend we share one "indivisible nation".  Go and find out what nations that have used that term do to ensure that everyone signed on to a common creed. You can't even acknowledge a simple truth. Funny Nigerians!
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Duduknight(m): 8:55pm On Nov 15, 2009
Onlytruth:

@Sapeleguy

I'm just saying that seeking justice in an atmosphere of different value systems is an exercise in futility, and Duduknight just proved me right.
Justice only means the same to peoples of shared values. Nigeria just never bothered to ensure that component tribes and peoples shared values before creating a single nation.

Give it a rest; what values are you talking about? The values that allow you to slap someone and whine like a little girl when the the other guy gives you a body slam. Like I said feeling this strongy about it and moaning on the Internet is cowardly. It is time to do something, if you have the courage.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 8:57pm On Nov 15, 2009
It is only one tribe which can see the truth, all other tribes are oblivious and ignorant grin
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Onlytruth(m): 9:02pm On Nov 15, 2009
Duduknight:

Give it a rest; what values are you talking about? The values that allow you to slap someone and whine like a little girl when the the other guy gives you a body slam. Like I said feeling this strongy about it and moaning on the Internet is cowardly. It is time to do something, if you have the courage.

I don't want to insult you, but you have really missed the entire point of this conservation. You guys keep saying "go and do something about it". What do you think this whole thing is? Never mind, the most important thing for now is for Igbos to understand the nation they claim. This understanding is so critical. Before, we had only few months to defend ourselves against you. Now,we have forever! So, ol boy calm down. Time is on our side! Relax. I once prophesized that you guys will one day beg us to leave Nigeria and we will then give you the terms under which we leave. So jeje my friend, no hurry in life! grin
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by RichyBlacK(m): 9:06pm On Nov 15, 2009
Okay, we are still in the Nigeria; how is that working out?

People of every ethnic group are complaining about the perpetual failure of the Nigerian state. How is this "unity by any means" working out?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SapeleGuy: 9:23pm On Nov 15, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Okay, we are still in the Nigeria; how is that working out?

People of every ethnic group are complaining about the perpetual failure of the Nigerian state. How is this "unity by any means" working out?

Very good question, however, this is different from the point currently under discussion. What can be done to punish those who commited war crimes and atrocities? An ICC action will go a long way to check our culture of impunity.

Without wanting to go 'Oprah' on anybody we need to acknowledge the grief and bring healing by making sure that justice is done and bring closure to the episode.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 9:34pm On Nov 15, 2009
Before, we had only few months to defend ourselves against you. Now,we have forever! So, ol boy calm down. Time is on our side! Relax. I once prophesized that you guys will one day beg us to leave Nigeria and we will then give you the terms under which we leave. So jeje my friend, no hurry in life!

grin grin grin. Na craze man na craze man b that. I say na craze man be that. I pity you cry cry cry. I think it is too late for you to understand that united we stand, divided we fall. And for obvious reasons too- there is no feasibility in biafra, you guys are too small and will fail economically- work out the terms for staying in nigeria than waste time dreaming up a nation that would wreck the lives of your children cry
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 9:35pm On Nov 15, 2009
It also seems none of these people have read the so-called ikemba's biography- please do so, the guy jumped into war without significant thought.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by WilyWily: 9:43pm On Nov 15, 2009
SEFAGO:

It is only one tribe which can see the truth, all other tribes are oblivious and ignorant grin
Many tribes knew the truth, but because some of their people were partly involved on that Genocide decided to keep quite.
For Example, an Elder Urhobo man told how some of his own people and some other Warri Natives were helping Nigeria Soldiers hunt down and kill innocent Igbo women and Kids, he went to the extent of showing me Houses own by Igbos before they were killed. The next thing they saw was, one by one some of their people packed in and claimed ownership of those houses till today.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Onlytruth(m): 9:53pm On Nov 15, 2009
SEFAGO:

grin grin grin. Na craze man na craze man b that. I say na craze man be that. I pity you cry cry cry. I think it is too late for you to understand that united we stand, divided we fall. And for obvious reasons too- there is no feasibility in biafra, you guys are too small and will fail economically- work out the terms for staying in nigeria than waste time dreaming up a nation that would wreck the lives of your children cry

And they have already started! Don't worry now. We offered confederation or loose federation in 1967, even after 50,000 of our people were killed, you first agreed and then made a volte face. When we insisted on the agreement, you levied a war against our people. In the war, you continued what you didn't finish in the pre-war genocide. And today, you are here to revise history, though your murderous nature is making you do a poor job of it. You simply can't afford not to be gleeful of your "exploits" in genocide.
My children have no future in such a country, and 40 wasted years after the war is a clear proof of the unworkability of Nigeria.  
A nation that is denying an atrocity against 50 million of its own citizens is a doomed nation.
The other mistake you guys make is you keep assuming that Igbos are simply after the creation of Biafra. Ol boy, you don't even have a clue! Like I told your brother DuduKight, one day you guys will beg us to leave and we would then give you our terms! Time and history is on our side.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 11:19pm On Nov 15, 2009
shocked shocked shocked whatever keep making noise, you dont get it, everything is not about igbo people- i repeat you are not that special. The problem is that a loose federation is not politically efficient, I however agree that might be a good case for nigeria- the problem is that if you guys are offered a loose federation, then you would decide to secede. But you guys are definitely not leaving; you are staying- This is a marriage of convenience, and we have to hash it out, but you guys are definitely not going anywhere
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by WilyWily: 11:40pm On Nov 15, 2009
But bear one thing in mind, No Forced marriage is ever a happy one.
Very soon if care is not taken, the next War in Nigeria will be one of the most destructive War in Human History. mark my word.
It is not going to by like 1967. Every one have leart his/her mistakes from the previous one. People are no more happy how things are going in this Country.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 1:15am On Nov 16, 2009
But bear one thing in mind,  No Forced marriage is ever a happy one.

But a forced marriage can turn into one of happiness if the parties decide to learn and respect each others culture and differences in general. The problem is your decision not to seek cultural understanding itself. I think if a step was taken towards understanding each other- and celebrating our differences instead of magnifying them, it would be a significantly less of an effort than full blown war. Whether you like it or not African countries cannot keep dividing into tribal divisions and expect to survive in such an economically fast paced world. You cut yourself out in the cold- you still have to reestablish diplomatic relation with other countries, go through the strenuous process of nation building.

Very soon if care is not taken, the next War in Nigeria will be one of the most destructive War in Human History. mark my word.

Likely not, it would just lead to severe massacres of igbo people, so why not avoid it, by taking the path of some sort of conflict resolution. your words are as empty as that of TB Joshua- u dont know what could happen, yes we might have a war is tribalism keeps on being a focus. But we could also avert that war. The problem is that all of us are guilty of tribalistic tendencies are looking out for our own- this is perfectly, and biologically normal. However, we should be aware that this is a basic instinct of group think- evolved as a result to ensure our survival. But in this age of globalization, the group think known as tribalism is inconsequential. If I decide to place my son with an igbo family and he learns everything like every normal igbo child- isn't he igbo, and if there is a civil war whose side will he take then- that of his biological father or those who fed him? What I am trying to say is that these alliances are superficial but you guys are still holding on to it.

That brings me to my second problem- the civil war was all our fault. Culpability is not limited to one tribe or the other- our forefathers (no one in my family fought in the civil war or partook in the decision, but due to the hands of fate and because of my tribe, I am apparently guilty for the blood of numerous igbo kids  angry). The tribalism of igbos caused some of the series of unfortunate events that led to the war. The tribalism of Yorubas and Hausas led to the death of tens of thousands of innocent igbo souls who were unwary participants of the war.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 1:27am On Nov 16, 2009
Also you guys should bear in mind that the war occurred 7 years after Nigeria gained independence from Britain. We were new to ourselves, totally ignorant of our cultures. Yorubas saw igbos as a totally different group of people. Now as more and more people get educated, and interact with each other across tribal borders, we become aware that these differences are superficial. There isn't much we can do for the older generation, scarred by deep tribalism, people like Eziachi and Only truth. They are hopeless cases. Neither can we do anything for Yar'adua of Obasanjo or any of the others who might have through tribalism elevated their people above other tribes because of this basic group think. However, what we should avoid is the pernicious action of demonizing a specific group- this is not how you solve conflict but exacerbate it.

IMO,  I will concede that the civil war was a great tragedy to igbo people and nigeria alike. For it tore open for international public view, deep wounds that had been initiated by british colonialism. But if we focus on increasing those wounds instead of healing them, who is going to suffer?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 1:34am On Nov 16, 2009
So basically what we need is inter-ethnic dialogue. Get a bunch of the supposed main leaders of various ethnicity in nigeria (how many od we have again? I wish becomrich could come and help) and they should talk about your grouses. I do agree, the north has had too much power in Nigeria, for such a lowly educated ethnic class.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Beaf: 2:18am On Nov 16, 2009
@Sefago

You sound like you are dictating and handing out undeserved benevolence. The map of Nigeria has changed irreversibly, but you can't see it.
The same thing happened to those sorry racist souls that organised and interrupted the Beijing Olympics torch, they couldn't yet see that the map of the World had changed (now they do). A couple of years can bring a World of difference.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 2:25am On Nov 16, 2009
erm i dont actually get what you are saying
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Eziachi: 3:01am On Nov 16, 2009
SEFAGO:

erm i dont actually get what you are saying

How can you get what he was saying? When you are swimming in you utopian world of illusion. Whatever you say, it is now a fact that in Nairaland you are the guy or gal that GLOFIED RAPE as weapon of war.
That is a TAG you will never ever escape now. “SAFEGO THE WAR RAPE ADVOCATE”
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by udezue(m): 3:10am On Nov 16, 2009
SEFAGO,
The massacres you are wishing the Igbo will be visited upon ur own people 10 times. U should know by now that Igbos of 1966 are not the same as the ones in 2009. The younger generation of Igbos have proven several times that if push comes to shove they can wipe out any group in their enclave and outside their enclave. The Northerners even fall victims to reprisal actions right in the North by Igbos. In the East Igbos no longer hesitate to pay them back in the same coin when they misbehave so if you want massacres expect it to reach ur village sef Umu Igbo are no longer willing to play the good guys.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 3:28am On Nov 16, 2009
“SAFEGO THE WAR RAPE ADVOCATE”

lol, who cares about ppl in NL. What exactly do you guys want? throughout all your posts- from beaf, to eziachi to udueze- non e of you have given a clear descriptions of how to resolve this issue but shout, and complain and place accusations. Look, i am so far away from your world of poverty and misery, that yes i am in an illusion. But i am still nigerian and i feel these issues are my issues.

The massacres you are wishing the Igbo will be visited upon your own people 10 times

do you think i care. i dont care about tribe neither do i feel any special obligation to my tribe. However an attempt to foster tribal hatred is a problem, and hence why i have to come to the defence of Yoruba's. Shout all you want, but it is only noise.

By the way i am not interested in massacres or hoping for one- is that all you are searching for in all my posts- i never lived a life of violence so i dont understand it. However, i know if a war breaks out the igbos would be on the losing side, which could lead to massacres. So why not make steps to prevent these?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Beaf: 3:36am On Nov 16, 2009
SEFAGO:

lol, who cares about ppl in NL. What exactly do you guys want? throughout all your posts- from beaf, to eziachi to udueze- non e of you have given a clear descriptions of how to resolve this issue but shout, and complain and place accusations. Look, i am so far away from your world of poverty and misery, that yes i am in an illusion. But i am still nigerian and i feel these issues are my issues.

do you think i care. i dont care about tribe neither do i feel any special obligation to my tribe. However an attempt to foster tribal hatred is a problem, and hence why i have to come to the defence of Yoruba's. Shout all you want, but it is only noise.

By the way i am not interested in massacres or hoping for one- is that all you are searching for in all my posts- i never lived a life of violence so i dont understand it. However, i know if a war breaks out the igbos would be on the losing side, which could lead to massacres. So why not make steps to prevent these?

Excuse me! For one thing, I don't remember ever mentioning the Yoruba's, neither is this topic excplicitly about any ethnic group. So what exactly is your point? You think you are so smart that you want to make an issue that concerns every living being in Nigeria, a discussion between me and you on Igbo vs Yoruba. Boy (or girl)! You fooling only yourself.

You are deaf to all but your own words.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 3:47am On Nov 16, 2009
You think you are so smart that you want to make an issue that concerns every living being in Nigeria, a discussion between me and you on Igbo vs Yoruba. Boy (or girl)! You fooling only yourself.

yeah right. Its not hard to infer what people mean, is it? You could read the whole thread again and repeat your silly statements. And why so bothered about my ability to comment- you are also commenting- are you that smart yourself? Of course I never made it put one or the other, eziachi and company did. Buf of course because they agree with your opinions, they are perfectly ok. Usually when you critique, you do so objectively, but you guys are all the same.

Be aware of your follies mate, b4 you point out those of others, i know mine quite well, but I also have a clear view of what i really want to get out of this thread.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Beaf: 3:53am On Nov 16, 2009
SEFAGO:

yeah right. Its not hard to infer what people mean, is it? You could read the whole thread again and repeat your silly statements. And why so bothered about my ability to comment- you are also commenting- are you that smart yourself? Of course I never made it put one or the other, eziachi and company did. Buf of course because they agree with your opinions, they are perfectly ok. Usually when you critique, you do so objectively, but you guys are all the same.

Be aware of your follies mate, b4 you point out those of others, i know mine quite well, but I also have a clear view of what i really want to get out of this thread.

The title of this article is;
[size=14pt]HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! [/size]
So whats your game? Did you see any ethnic group get mentioned in the title? Along the way, someone has even mentioned my ethnic group as taking part in the evil. Have I jumped up to defend? Whats so special about yours (which you even claim not to care much about)? British, Germans, Edo's, Americans etc have all been quoted. Whats your real game?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by udezue(m): 4:04am On Nov 16, 2009
No mind the bagger. He feels the need to defend any quote made by someone from his ethnic group but claims to not care about them.

This topic is all about factual quotes not ethnic groups.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 4:09am On Nov 16, 2009
u guys are quite hilarious. shocked shocked shocked

anywas thnxs for reminding us of the topic. And also thnxs for stating specifically that this was not a genocide but a civil war. My main game is to show that ethnic bigotry caused the war, and that it is unlikely that another war would be advantageous for igbo people, and more likely to cause significant massacres, typical of mmost wars- capische?

No one should use "my people to refer to me then", is that ok?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Beaf: 4:09am On Nov 16, 2009
udezue:

No mind the bagger. He feels the need to defend any quote made by someone from his ethnic group but claims to not care about them.

This topic is all about factual quotes not ethnic groups.

If you check the first page, surprise, surprise!!! The 4th post is from Sefago, although nobody had said anything disparaging about any ethnic group.
Sefago has an agenda, let us sit down and watch him / her trip up herself / himself. grin

Sefago: anywas thnxs for reminding us of the topic. And also thnxs for stating specifically that this was not a genocide but a civil war. My main game is to show that ethnic bigotry caused the war, and that it is unlikely that another war would be advantageous for igbo people, and more likely to cause significant massacres, typical of mmost wars- capische?

No one should use "my people to refer to me then", is that ok?

Funny playing God, but you are out of touch and far from reality. Sit back and take an intelligent look at the country. . .
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by udezue(m): 4:14am On Nov 16, 2009
LOL hahah grin whatever he or she is. pretending to be preaching about peace yet on the other end preaching wars and massacres.

SEFAGO,
please tell us why you believe Igbos will be massacred like that again. Why do u believe so strongly that any kpararam Igbos will be the ultimate losers. Explain
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 4:22am On Nov 16, 2009
SEFAGO,
please tell us why you believe Igbos will be massacred like that again. Why do u believe so strongly that any kpararam Igbos will be the ultimate losers. Explain

Because they will be significantly outgunned, financially, man power wise, equipment and such. Just exactly like the biafran war, except the nigerian government would now have access to money from oil. They would freeze all the accounts of all the wealthy igbo peoplein major cities like lagos and abuja b4 u guys can even start mobilizing. None of you businessmen would even have time to move. How will the war be funded?

Then this war would give ethnocentric people the opportunity of carrying out any aims they have on igbo people, and yes, FG troop would side with their countrymen, by standing aside when igbo people are being slaughtered- these are uneducated ethnocentric people. The FG army of course has its own share of tribalist but it doesnt mean that is the opinion of other nigerians in general

It seems that you guys love alluding to war quickly without accessing the situation, then when you finally jump into the war and war tactics are used against you- you would blame that on somethin else.

Sefago has an agenda, let us sit down and watch him / her trip up herself / himself.

Thats the problem- you gusy are really paranoid. I am writing my thesis, while chatting with you. What agenda, do i have

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Soldiers Invade Polling Units In Ondo, Shooting Sporadically Into The Air / Michael Olawale-Cole Joins APC / Bola Adegunloye: Sanwo-Olu Will Betray Tinubu, Leading To Hypertension, Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.