Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,437 members, 7,819,605 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) - Properties (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) (111978 Views)

Expanded Polystyrene And Some Of Its Application / Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) / ALTERNATIVE BUILDING TECHNOLOGY (RED INTERLOCKING BRICKS) COMPARATIVE COST ANALY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 2:58pm On Aug 01, 2018
Do you know that Polystyrene can also be used as ceiling material just like POP ceiling?
Do you know that polystyrene ceiling prevents Noise (soundproof) than other types of ceiling Materials? It serves as extra layer of Insulation

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by geezyk(m): 7:55am On Aug 17, 2018
How much would it cost to make something like this in a 3 bedroom bungalow.??
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Makawhizzy: 8:02am On Aug 17, 2018
Do you have a working phone number not interested in email
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 10:25am On Aug 17, 2018
geezyk:
How much would it cost to make something like this in a 3 bedroom bungalow.??

Sir,
thanks for the enquiry, can you send us your architectural plan to frugesarenaltd@gmail.com so that we can calculate the Total linear meters and if you already know the total linear meters needed. kindly forward to us so that we can calculate based on different sizes available.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 10:28am On Aug 17, 2018
Makawhizzy:
Do you have a working phone number not interested in email
sir,
The reason why we always give email is for us to be able to send more information to you concerning the products and our company.
thanks for the advise.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by geezyk(m): 10:47am On Aug 17, 2018
Teewhy2:

Sir,
thanks for the enquiry, can you send us your architectural plan to frugesarenaltd@gmail.com so that we can calculate the Total linear meters and if you already know the total linear meters needed. kindly forward to us so that we can calculate based on different sizes available.
aiit I will.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2018
Below are some questions asked about polystyrene from a prospective client and our response. We took permission before posting the questions from the client. This is just to educate more people on the polystyrene Material.

[b]Prospective Client: I do appreciate your detailed pictures,but i still have a few reasons for bother on my mind‎. Firstly, how resistant is this product to weather factors over time and also fire?

Fruges : The material doesn't decompose or degrade with time, it can stay up to years in its state, and on the issue of fire resistance the materials is fire retardant as stated in one of the attachment sent earlier, from the material you can see that if EPS is exposed to temperature above 100 degree centigrade it begins to soften then contract before it turns to molten form instead of burning , also note that molten EPS will not be ignited by welding sparks or burning cigarette.

Prospective Client: Secondly, is there a way of preventing rodent attacks on the material?

Fruges: on the issue of Rodents they don't really attack the materials because the material has been treated and so they hardly eat it, and since it would have been covered internally by ceilings the way rodents will get to it will be reduced.

Prospective Client: being that the inner face of the component would be left bare without finishing? cause i have seen rodent nibble on polystyrene, though not expanded polystyrene...
Thirdly, how structurally stable is the component? Cause i know it might not directly carry the roof loading but part of the rafter loading would be on it cause i have seen cases where even precast concrete fascia collapses after installation...

Fruges: The rafters when installing will be on the roof beam if the building has a roof beam and if not it will be seating on the block walls, it will serve like a covering for the rafter and the building.

Prospective Client: Also, i have watched a documentary on the production process of EPS and learnt that two seperate coatings of special Cement is used on the visible surface, but is this EPs produce by you company produced in likewise manner cause the picture i saw doesn't depict a thick external cement coating...

Fruges: The ones that are produce here has a fibre mesh in front then the special cement (poly plaster) use as coating on the surface, the one you talking about doesn't have a fibre mesh but a different type of the poly plaster, which is on request and more expensive.

Prospective Client: Lastly, as regards the cost, i saw a detailed estimate comparison between EPS and Concrete fascia and the difference was quite convincing but i later noticed that the cost of the roof beam wasn't included there, so do you think that difference would still be convincing enough to try the material after the roof beam cost is included?

Fruges : On the issue of the roof beam, even when a roof beam is installed on the building, which is almost a constant to almost all types of parapet, there is still a difference between it and the cast in situ type of parapet, but you have an advantage of reduce the type of load you are putting on your foundation and the ground, also some people install the polystyrene parapet on buildings with client not making roof beams but am not a fan of that as the roof beams helps to tie the building together apart from the polystyrene panel having a good bond with it.
[/b]
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 9:01am On Aug 21, 2018
Happy Eid el Kabir to all our Muslim clients.
You will live to celebrate many more of it in good health.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Tammynator(m): 11:28am On Aug 21, 2018
Do I need to use columns on my bungalow to be able to use the EPS? Secondly, do u do your installations outside Lagos? I'm in Uyo, can u do a job here? Or, do u have an agent here? Thanks.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 4:17pm On Aug 21, 2018
Tammynator:
Do I need to use columns on my bungalow to be able to use the EPS? Secondly, do u do your installations outside Lagos? I'm in Uyo, can u do a job here? Or, do u have an agent here? Thanks.

Sir
The EPS material itself is a very light material but in construction no matter the ground nature it is always advisable to have columns at major points of the building especially at the four corners of the building and also to have a beam to chain the building together so that in case of building settling or ground shake the building are tied together and one side doesn't go down than the other.
Also I will like to also say that people who use stone coated roofing sheet needs to have roof beams and columns on their buildings even if it is a bungalow as the material itself is heavy and it needs something to effectively transfer the load to the ground.
I will also want my oga's segcymoor saydfact spyder880 mufutau55 on this platform to bear their mind on this.

On the issue of installation in UYO , you can send your architectural drawing to frugesarenaltd. To calculate the total linear meters and we can know how to begin from there.

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by saydfact(m): 4:10pm On Aug 24, 2018
Teewhy2:

Sir
The EPS material itself is a very light material but in construction no matter the ground nature it is always advisable to have columns at major points of the building especially at the four corners of the building and also to have a beam to chain the building together so that in case of building settling or ground shake the building are tied together and one side doesn't go down than the other.
Also I will like to also say that people who use stone coated roofing sheet needs to have roof beams and columns on their buildings even if it is a bungalow as the material itself is heavy and it needs something to effectively transfer the load to the ground.
I will also want my oga's segcymoor saydfact spyder880 mufutau55 on this platform to bear their mind on this.

On the issue of installation in UYO , you can send your architectural drawing to frugesarenaltd. To calculate the total linear meters and we can know how to begin from there.

@ Tammynator:
The materials are so light, the hardly add to the building weight........

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Tammynator(m): 5:06pm On Aug 24, 2018
saydfact:

@ Tammynator:
The materials are so light, the hardly add to the building weight........
So, do I need to use columns on my bungalow to be able to use the EPS?
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 9:19am On Aug 26, 2018
Tammynator:

Sir,
Columns in building serve a lot of purpose and it helps you to transfer majority of the building load ( roofing materials, beams e.t.c) directly to the ground without putting much pressure on the block walls. Most buildings without columns tends to have cracked walls easily than the ones which there's columns at strategic points

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Tammynator(m): 9:35am On Aug 26, 2018
Teewhy2:

Sir,
Columns in building serve a lot of purpose and it helps you to transfer majority of the building load ( roofing materials, beams e.t.c) directly to the ground without putting much pressure on the block walls. Most buildings without columns tends to have cracked walls easily than the ones which there's columns at strategic points
Thank u sir. I intend raising a 3 bedroom flat bungalow on a dry ground. Most people do not use any columns with the reason that, it is a small building and they are not using parapet. And, I'm considering going that same route that's why I asked if it can be used on a bungalow without columns.
That being said, is it also okay to just use columns only on the four corners of the building to help carry the load? Reason I'm asking this is because, my two bedroom flat I'm building in my home town that I have left for now has up to 6 columns. Plus the design pillars making 8. I don't want to have a repeat of that experience again.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by morningsta(m): 9:36pm On Aug 26, 2018
Hello OP, thanks for the enlightenment this thread is giving to some of us.

I am currently working on a project in a swapy area and looking to save cost without jeopardising safety and quality. To help those of us who are novice, kindly list all the uses of polysterene material known to you for us to know where we can possibly use it.

Thanks and well done!
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by saydfact(m): 6:01pm On Aug 27, 2018
Tammynator:

you dont need columns, but i'll advice you have a beam to tie them all together..... ie the Polysterene and your structure... you wld still require beams even if you had columns,,, so columns aint a deciding factor.

thanks

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Tammynator(m): 8:10pm On Aug 27, 2018
saydfact:

you dont need columns, but i'll advice you have a beam to tie them all together..... ie the Polysterene and your structure... you wld still require beams even if you had columns,,, so columns aint a deciding factor.

thanks

Sir, sorry for the plenty questions o. By beam, u mean lintel cast all round right?
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 10:52am On Sep 03, 2018
Tammynator:

Sir, sorry for the plenty questions o. By beam, u mean lintel cast all round right?

yes but as the top coach of the main load bearing walls or external walls.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 10:55am On Sep 03, 2018
morningsta:

Hello OP, thanks for the enlightenment this thread is giving to some of us.

I am currently working on a project in a swapy area and looking to save cost without jeopardising safety and quality. To help those of us who are novice, kindly list all the uses of polysterene material known to you for us to know where we can possibly use it.

Thanks and well done!

sir, sorry for late response.
It can be used as floor slabs( decking) window sills, wall bands, and virtual all the building components

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by morningsta(m): 1:47pm On Sep 05, 2018
Teewhy2:

sir, sorry for late response.
It can be used as floor slabs( decking) window sills, wall bands, and virtual all the building components

Great job. thanks for your feedback.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 9:03pm On Sep 06, 2018
adesanmi162:
Nice

Thanks sir
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Tammynator(m): 8:50pm On Sep 07, 2018
Teewhy2:

yes but as the top coach of the main load bearing walls or external walls.

Boss, how many people dey get money to do that one. That is, after lintel, u go put 3 courses come cast the fourth again. Na wa
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 9:49pm On Sep 07, 2018
Tammynator:

Boss, how many people dey get money to do that one. That is, after lintel, u go put 3 courses come cast the fourth again. Na wa

My chairman sir,
The roof beam serves as the third course while the Lintel are short ones which just spans little beyond each door/window opening.
The below shows what I mean, the building is not with a parapet

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by daniel122: 2:27am On Sep 20, 2018
working with EPS for affordable housing since i left school

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by daniel122: 2:30am On Sep 20, 2018
another project 2 semi detached bungalows in keffi nasarawa state

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by daniel122: 2:42am On Sep 20, 2018
as you can see in the building in keffi no columns and the building is caring the polystyrene slabbed as roof

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by daniel122: 2:45am On Sep 20, 2018
this was when the casting of the roof slab was being done

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 11:40am On Sep 21, 2018
daniel122:
this was when the casting of the roof slab was being done

Good one, I appreciate the pictures and lovely one , might do somethings together in future if we have projects in kebbi state or the northerner region.

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 11:46am On Sep 21, 2018
Happy Friday to everyone, we noticed it's been long we updated some of our work. we have decided to load one of our recent roof parapet work in benin for you.
below pictures are pictures of the work before commencement.

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 3:43pm On Sep 21, 2018
Picture 1:- Design sent in by client
picture 2: - Design converted into reality on sample cut ( below the cut is what is called corbels which can be placed at some intervals to make the parapet come out more and look different)
Picture 3: Final look of the Polystyrene panel delivered on site before work commencing.
Picture 4: Final look of Corbels

we always say Just dream it and we will Just do it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (25) (Reply)

Kitchen cabinets, Wardrobes & Doors @ Touchstone Design Solutions / 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX (A New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / Femi Osibona: Face Behind Collapsed 21-storey Building In Ikoyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.