Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,550 members, 7,837,107 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

"Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ (30650 Views)

Good News, BGS, Engineering, Uniben. / "Your First Class Certificate Is Useless If..." - Miracle Uzoma (UNIPORT BGS) / UNIPORT BGS Lashes Back At Responses To "2 Hours Sleep" Statement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Nobody: 8:34am On Apr 12, 2017
Mskrisx:

angry angry
What is the matter?
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by maestroz: 8:35am On Apr 12, 2017
blacksand:
On a personal note, I'm so so loving this guy.

After four years of striving against all odds to excel in school, Uzoma Miracle Chinonso, made himself and his parents proud by emerging as not only the best student in his department, but also the best graduating student in University of Port Harcourt's 2015/2016 session.

NAIJ.com had a chat with the trailblazer who graduated with a 4.82 CGPA, where he revealed his background and shared his success story. Read his story below:

Can you give a brief rundown of your background?

I am Uzoma, Miracle Chinonso, a 21-year-old Imolite...born on 27th June, 1995. The first son of two (boys) born to Mr Sampson Uzoma, a tailor, and Mrs Felicia Uzoma, a trader. Though being an Imolite, I see myself more as an Abian, as I was born and bred in Aba, Abia state.

Share your educational background:

I am a recent graduate of Plant Science and Biotechnology (PSB) from the University of Port-Harcourt (UPH).

I did my Elementary education at Cameroun Barracks Primary School, Aba...then my Secondary education at Ngwa High School, Aba. I now have a BSc in Plant Science and Biotechnology (PSB) from the Unique University of Port-Harcourt.

Did you ever think you would become the best graduating student of your school?

"Best Graduating Student"? NO. "Top of my class"? NO. I did not apply for PSB...I never knew such a course existed. I applied for medicine (which was the only science-related course I knew then, aside Nursing and Engineering).

When the admissions list came out, I saw my name as the second to the last name in the third list for PSB. It was the first time I came across the word "BIOTECHNOLOGY". I wasn't happy with the course...but my dad advised that I take it up...I had to take it up after I made him promise to sponsor my masters degree immediately after my B.Sc. He promised, so I took the course.

I intended writing JAMB again...but then a lecturer and cousin of mine, Dr. Achugasim Ozioma, suggested that if I could get up to 4.0 CGPA after my first year, that I could switch to Medicine.

That propelled me...and also owing to the fact that I wanted to prove a point to myself that despite my meagre school fees in high school, that I could compete favorably with those rich kids from rich schools if we're placed in the same study environment...learning with the same facilities.
After my first year, I came out already on first class...but I had already developed a liking for PSB. It was then that I decided not to switch to Medicine (which I later discovered was not my passion)...rather to channel all the energy and enthusiasm I'd have used to study medicine to get the best of PSB (my new found love).

When did you start thinking you could actually top the class?

I started thinking I'd be top of my class during my third year, but I was not sure. It was under a 50% probability.

My class was full of super brains...Sonia, Prince (both graduated first class too), Austin, Oluchi, Cindy etc...and when I saw these people studying, it would send shivers down my spine that made me sit up and up my game.

Was there ever anything that happened while you were in school to make you doubt your ability to eventually top your class?

The finances were a problem. I always saw myself as being financially disadvantaged...I never got the money for textbooks and other materials as at when needed (more like when wanted)...and I was not living on my own...I stayed with my aunt's family all through my schooling (and I stay there now; though not out of necessity now, but out of habit).

I told my dad, that if he wanted me to graduate with a first class, that he should meet just two conditions: First, get me a place to stay on my own. Second, get me my study materials as soon as I call for them. So bad..he didn't meet anyone of them.

That didn't deter me...instead I took solace in what my friend and senior prefect in high school told me, "poverty provides the best environment for academic success". So, I changed my mentality and started seeing my financial disadvantage as a blessing....though it's a blessing I'm fighting so hard to deny my children. Hahaha.

How did you avoid distractions? Did you have a girlfriend in the four years you were a student?

Hahaha...please, allow me to laugh out loud. I didn't mention that, apart from being financially disadvantaged, I was also socially disadvantaged. I never had a girlfriend...and that was because of my social disadvantage.

First, I don't have a sister, and my family upbringing never smiled at such boy-girl relations. Secondly, I'm a very shy person. My shyness is quite unique in that I'd rather face an audience of a million persons than face an audience of just one girl. I call it "single-person shyness". I think this developed because of my schooling...I attended a boys-only school.

Thirdly, I associate girls with time consumption and money consumption...and it so happened that TIME and MONEY were two things I never had. So, I never had a girlfriend...

What's the next move for you? Where do you go from here?

I intend going into the academia...establishing in UniPort, hopefully. I'll have to further my studies...in a more relaxed environment, hopefully outside Nigeria...then come back to apply my skills in full service to my fatherland...and probably do some politics. Hahaha.

At what level do you want to do politics?

State and national levels...haha..it's sounding funny, but I believe I can make a difference.

In what way do you believe you can make the difference?

Hahaha...I'll leave that question unanswered until I breathe life into my political being. I still have seven (7) years to voice out my answer to that question...and that's seven more years left to study the Nigerian political climate.

What advice do you have for undergraduates and people seeking admission into the university?

My advice for admission seekers and undergrads: A man who has a target, even when he misses, does not go far from it. When you have an aim and you pursue it diligently, pushing aside all distractions, that aim will surely materialize...God willing.

Then, some students set low targets for themselves...why will you aim to graduate with a second class upper when it is possible to grab a first class? Even if you miss the first class, you end up with a 2:1. "Why be a king when you can be a god?"

Set high standards for yourselves...that's prayer; then work towards it. I did...I slept for two (2) hours everyday for four years to rectify my academic disadvantages.

Source:
UNIPORT's BGS bares it all to NAIJ

This guy just stressed himself in school to "force get" first class. Naturally gifted first class don't stress themselves, it happens naturally.

Anyway, Dino Melaye, kom give diz guy job.
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Mskrisx(f): 8:36am On Apr 12, 2017
optimusmind:

What is the matter?

That personal text
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Nobody: 8:37am On Apr 12, 2017
Mskrisx:

That personal text

Personal?
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by ReneeNuttall(f): 8:37am On Apr 12, 2017
2 hours of sleep for 4 years,and ur eyelids does not have bags?
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by crackhouse(m): 8:38am On Apr 12, 2017
Sleeping for 2hrs for 4yrs? Haba! It means ur brain finds it difficult to assimilate things u read. How can u suffer urself like that because u want to come out with good grade if u have a retentive and good memory?
If ur brain works fine i bet u u won't suffer yourself like that. I have seen people that only attend classes and read a little but at the end of the day they came out on top of their class.
I am not impressed at all.
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Anuoluwapo3054(m): 8:39am On Apr 12, 2017
femi4:
Your maths Teacher no try o

4 x 365 = 1460days

Total no of hrs of sleep = 2x1460= 2920hrs
sorry...it was a mistake and i don already submit before realizing that....hence, i overlooked that cos am busy at work...i don dey expect una to lash me sef....
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Mskrisx(f): 8:39am On Apr 12, 2017
optimusmind:

Personal?

Customized!
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Nobody: 8:40am On Apr 12, 2017
Anuoluwapo3054:
hahaha...the guy is funny, 2hrs daily for four years? meaning a total of 8 hours....it is not possible else such an individual want to run mad....

Lol, u lack logistics...
Do the maths well... It's about 3000hours in four years.
A normal person should have slept at least 850p hours in that period.
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 12, 2017
Mskrisx:

Customized!
I am starting to think the haters just arrived
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by OMEGA009(m): 8:44am On Apr 12, 2017
Slept for two hours in four years? See as konji don make your face strong like bone.
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Mskrisx(f): 8:45am On Apr 12, 2017
optimusmind:

I am starting to think the haters just arrived

Hehehehehe OK.
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by nadisman(m): 8:48am On Apr 12, 2017
boy u can lie oooo just bkos God give u dis good grade na eehm u wan turn ur self to gifty dem go evict uoooo.
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by micflo28(m): 8:48am On Apr 12, 2017
Good day nairalanders, I am a graduate of economics based in abuja, done with nysc, please, friends I need a job to take care of my ailing dad and my siblings here in abuja. Please help me, I am available for any job around abuja. Reach me on munachiso4u@gmail.com.
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by toideve(m): 8:49am On Apr 12, 2017
This guy is lying?
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Rilwayne001: 8:49am On Apr 12, 2017
Na lie undecided
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Anuoluwapo3054(m): 8:51am On Apr 12, 2017
optimusmind:

Lol, u lack logistics...
Do the maths well... It's about 3000hours in four years.
A normal person should have slept at least 850p hours in that period.
i already admitted it was an error and cos i was busy then i couldn't wait to edit....so am expecting the tongue lashes
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Nobody: 8:54am On Apr 12, 2017
Anuoluwapo3054:
i already admitted it was an error and cos i was busy then i couldn't wait to edit....so am expecting the tongue lashes
Well, it still means you lack logistics. ....

Joking ooo... Before you stone we work stress
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by duduade: 8:59am On Apr 12, 2017
Loool.. If I talk now.. Everyone will think I have a bad mouth!!!
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by petermichaels(m): 9:01am On Apr 12, 2017
How astonishing it is dat everybody lies in Nigeria. Even a school graduate??! Kai I taya 4 dis country built by lies,govern by lies and exists on lies.
It I hear!! 2hrs sleep everyday 4 four years!!! I pity yor interview for any job cos u don't fail already.
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by temitope277(m): 9:06am On Apr 12, 2017
stupid guy, is he nw the manager at shell?
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by KingBillionaire(m): 9:10am On Apr 12, 2017
bros, this your lie nor good for ear atal. 2hrs everyday for 4year? haaaa! shocked
if u had said 4hrs, en hen, that wud v bin reasonable..

anyway congratulations for the 1st class LIE grin
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Nobody: 9:10am On Apr 12, 2017
Guy u worked hard but stop lying to us. 2hrs everyday for four yrs. Ur dad must be lie mohamed.
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by donhils: 9:14am On Apr 12, 2017
One word for sleeping 2hrs daily for 4yrs; Impossible.
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by DaBlaize(m): 9:19am On Apr 12, 2017
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by ibietela2(m): 9:21am On Apr 12, 2017
Imagine? And he is proud of
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by Omojudy: 9:26am On Apr 12, 2017
blacksand:
On a personal note, I'm so so loving this guy.

After four years of striving against all odds to excel in school, Uzoma Miracle Chinonso, made himself and his parents proud by emerging as not only the best student in his department, but also the best graduating student in University of Port Harcourt's 2015/2016 session.

NAIJ.com had a chat with the trailblazer who graduated with a 4.82 CGPA, where he revealed his background and shared his success story. Read his story below:

Can you give a brief rundown of your background?

I am Uzoma, Miracle Chinonso, a 21-year-old Imolite...born on 27th June, 1995. The first son of two (boys) born to Mr Sampson Uzoma, a tailor, and Mrs Felicia Uzoma, a trader. Though being an Imolite, I see myself more as an Abian, as I was born and bred in Aba, Abia state.

Share your educational background:

I am a recent graduate of Plant Science and Biotechnology (PSB) from the University of Port-Harcourt (UPH).

I did my Elementary education at Cameroun Barracks Primary School, Aba...then my Secondary education at Ngwa High School, Aba. I now have a BSc in Plant Science and Biotechnology (PSB) from the Unique University of Port-Harcourt.

Did you ever think you would become the best graduating student of your school?

"Best Graduating Student"? NO. "Top of my class"? NO. I did not apply for PSB...I never knew such a course existed. I applied for medicine (which was the only science-related course I knew then, aside Nursing and Engineering).

When the admissions list came out, I saw my name as the second to the last name in the third list for PSB. It was the first time I came across the word "BIOTECHNOLOGY". I wasn't happy with the course...but my dad advised that I take it up...I had to take it up after I made him promise to sponsor my masters degree immediately after my B.Sc. He promised, so I took the course.

I intended writing JAMB again...but then a lecturer and cousin of mine, Dr. Achugasim Ozioma, suggested that if I could get up to 4.0 CGPA after my first year, that I could switch to Medicine.

That propelled me...and also owing to the fact that I wanted to prove a point to myself that despite my meagre school fees in high school, that I could compete favorably with those rich kids from rich schools if we're placed in the same study environment...learning with the same facilities.
After my first year, I came out already on first class...but I had already developed a liking for PSB. It was then that I decided not to switch to Medicine (which I later discovered was not my passion)...rather to channel all the energy and enthusiasm I'd have used to study medicine to get the best of PSB (my new found love).

When did you start thinking you could actually top the class?

I started thinking I'd be top of my class during my third year, but I was not sure. It was under a 50% probability.

My class was full of super brains...Sonia, Prince (both graduated first class too), Austin, Oluchi, Cindy etc...and when I saw these people studying, it would send shivers down my spine that made me sit up and up my game.

Was there ever anything that happened while you were in school to make you doubt your ability to eventually top your class?

The finances were a problem. I always saw myself as being financially disadvantaged...I never got the money for textbooks and other materials as at when needed (more like when wanted)...and I was not living on my own...I stayed with my aunt's family all through my schooling (and I stay there now; though not out of necessity now, but out of habit).

I told my dad, that if he wanted me to graduate with a first class, that he should meet just two conditions: First, get me a place to stay on my own. Second, get me my study materials as soon as I call for them. So bad..he didn't meet anyone of them.

That didn't deter me...instead I took solace in what my friend and senior prefect in high school told me, "poverty provides the best environment for academic success". So, I changed my mentality and started seeing my financial disadvantage as a blessing....though it's a blessing I'm fighting so hard to deny my children. Hahaha.

How did you avoid distractions? Did you have a girlfriend in the four years you were a student?

Hahaha...please, allow me to laugh out loud. I didn't mention that, apart from being financially disadvantaged, I was also socially disadvantaged. I never had a girlfriend...and that was because of my social disadvantage.

First, I don't have a sister, and my family upbringing never smiled at such boy-girl relations. Secondly, I'm a very shy person. My shyness is quite unique in that I'd rather face an audience of a million persons than face an audience of just one girl. I call it "single-person shyness". I think this developed because of my schooling...I attended a boys-only school.

Thirdly, I associate girls with time consumption and money consumption...and it so happened that TIME and MONEY were two things I never had. So, I never had a girlfriend...

What's the next move for you? Where do you go from here?

I intend going into the academia...establishing in UniPort, hopefully. I'll have to further my studies...in a more relaxed environment, hopefully outside Nigeria...then come back to apply my skills in full service to my fatherland...and probably do some politics. Hahaha.

At what level do you want to do politics?

State and national levels...haha..it's sounding funny, but I believe I can make a difference.

In what way do you believe you can make the difference?

Hahaha...I'll leave that question unanswered until I breathe life into my political being. I still have seven (7) years to voice out my answer to that question...and that's seven more years left to study the Nigerian political climate.

What advice do you have for undergraduates and people seeking admission into the university?

My advice for admission seekers and undergrads: A man who has a target, even when he misses, does not go far from it. When you have an aim and you pursue it diligently, pushing aside all distractions, that aim will surely materialize...God willing.

Then, some students set low targets for themselves...why will you aim to graduate with a second class upper when it is possible to grab a first class? Even if you miss the first class, you end up with a 2:1. "Why be a king when you can be a god?"

Set high standards for yourselves...that's prayer; then work towards it. I did...I slept for two (2) hours everyday for four years to rectify my academic disadvantages.

Source:
UNIPORT's BGS bares it all to NAIJ
No wonder he is quite slim. Hope his body hasn't gotten used to only two hours sleep per day or he will not last to enjoy his success.
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by holluphemydavid(m): 9:30am On Apr 12, 2017
blacksand:

School oo or no school, am already fallin for dat guy
try and get his contact and express ur feelings,afterall its a free world lol
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by ideaz: 9:31am On Apr 12, 2017
2 Hours everyday? No wonder you have Nigeria politics in focus.

Congratulations anyway!
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by davidif: 9:33am On Apr 12, 2017
If true, that's actually not healthy for him.
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by ObinnaVal93(m): 9:37am On Apr 12, 2017
@chyy5 u well !!!...na uniport u dey talk abt lyk dat...from ur name u re ibo and e no go pass nekede or imo poly u graduate frm...
Re: "Why be a king when you can be a god?" - Uniport's BGS Reveals secrets To NAIJ by TheVictorious(m): 9:39am On Apr 12, 2017
I kinda like the guy even thouigh I don't know him. Thumbs up!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 / I'm In Final Year Yet I've Completely Lost Focus. / Funny Ways Kids Are Taught In Schools(share Your Experience)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.