Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,296 members, 7,818,995 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage (29732 Views)

What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? / Inter-tribal Marraiges / Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Kellibae(f): 12:33am On Apr 18, 2017
ab11baddo:
alright sister... We av heard u... U dont av to tell us these stories that touch

Lol..ok
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Kellibae(f): 12:35am On Apr 18, 2017
henryhemon:

I'm nwafo but we 're not blinded by sentiments....owerri girls if you marry ask your husband that won't live there to avoid stories.

lies u read on net!..
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ugosample(m): 12:36am On Apr 18, 2017
AreaFada2:

I am not babalawo to know.
But most of them said they wanted to avoid those things by marrying outside of tribe.

But they got even worse marrying outside.

But perhaps they turned down guys that might have been better within tribe by deliberately choosing to go outside. At least, the siblings who married within tribe remain married, and from what is known, those ladies appear to have got a better deal.

Therefore maybe your question should have been directed at the ladies who were biased against their own tribe. They used the experiences of some relatives from a previous generation to negatively judge their own tribe. Maybe they should have realised that whether within or outside tribe, things can go awry. My unscientific observation is that for those who married around similar time within tribe, divorce rate is much lower than those who went outside. Maybe just a coincidence, but it is as it is.

Marriage is not that easy. You need every support structure you can get. Friends, family, etc.
While love is great, it can be fickle and can also fade. Mills & Boon love exist only in Mills & Boon. grin grin

Let's not fool ourselves: race, tribe, religion are still very important factors people consider when marrying. I have seen it across many countries. What would be ideal in 21st century and what happens in reality do not always sync.

It depends really.....
There are many intra tribal marriages that hit the rock too, especially Yoruba to Yoruba marriage.

The bottom line is that a couple that is not ready to put in the work and compromise will lose his or her marriage, regardless of which tribe or race the person marries from.
And it's worse in Nigeria tho because of black man reasoning undecided

6 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by henryhemon(m): 12:37am On Apr 18, 2017
Kellibae:

lies u read on net!..

Suit yourself.

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ugosample(m): 12:38am On Apr 18, 2017
Kellibae:

Now look at ur lines "some of them" but u said "many" do it in imo..
Now i can see biasness in ur comment.
U shot urself in d leg.

Now i bliv u are not igbo forget the igbo u speak.
Anyone can speak igbo. cool

Na wa....
I am talking based on what I saw na
it was not all of my neighbours back then doing side job, that is why I said some

Na you sabi sha
What you believe changes nothing
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 12:39am On Apr 18, 2017
Honestly, any man that cannot make his family understand that he has the right to marry anyone he loves and has chosen to marry is still immature and not ready for marriage.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Kellibae(f): 12:41am On Apr 18, 2017
Ugosample:

Na wa....
I am talking based on what I saw na
it was not all of my neighbours back then doing side job, that is why I said some
Na you sabi sha
What you believe changes nothing

Yea bye!.
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by jiinxed: 12:49am On Apr 18, 2017
afroxyz:
While y'all are still brewing in 17th century ideology, I've matched my action with words

No one cares about your marriage, it does not change the status quo in any way.

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Critically: 1:02am On Apr 18, 2017
AreaFada2:
Very desirable but not easy.

You will have to work harder to make it work. Especially if one or both party's parents are against it.

Should things go awry, you will have to bear a lot of poo in silence. Just to avoid "I told you so" from the anti/suspicious side.

I have noticed the poo the majority of female relatives who married into other tribes have had to put up with. They went into these marriages with much naivety and enthusiasm, brushing aside concerns raised by some people. Their usual position was "people withing our tribe do these things too".

They have put up with worse things they initially said they wanted to avoid within tribe. Such as the hubby impregnating other women, hubby secretly using joint property deeds to secure loans without wife knowing, reckless behaviour of covering corruption of a female colleague at work and getting fired from a very lucrative job without benefits/pay off, making wife sole provider for family, secretly taking unsecured loans that wife has to be paying back all over the place later, etc.

Those guys did just about every stupid thing possible and even surpassed the fears of some family members. cheesy grin

About half got divorced but the rest soldiered on, albeit not happily most times. Very unfortunate.

Going into inter-ethnic marriage, please go in with a VERY thick skin. The odds may already be against you ab initio.

I suppose if it works, it can be very sweet. Like the lovely ladies from other tribes married into our family. grin cheesy

Of course they might have worked hard to endear themselves in the beginning. Once they proved their loyalty, it has been all love.

Most have blended in so well that they are not distinguishable from natural born daughters of the family.
biased
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Hannysmilez(f): 1:12am On Apr 18, 2017
12inches1:
Honestly, any man that cannot make his family understand that he has the right to marry anyone he loves and has chosen to marry is still immature and not ready for marriage.
You think African mothers want to hear that one. After they 'carried you for nine months'.

5 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Critically: 1:18am On Apr 18, 2017
12inches1:
you nailed it

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Hannysmilez(f): 1:21am On Apr 18, 2017
Personally,I wouldn't marry anyone my fam don't consent to. Its hard but I love them like that.
I also wouldn't marry a man if his fam members don't like me. It isnor by force. I cannot come and die. I don't believe in 'coping' or 'managing','one day,they will change'.
Thirdly,we're Africans;when you marry someone(esp as a lady),you marry his family and culture and traditions too. For this reason,I think it is best if you marry into a culture you totally understand and appreciate. So they won't pull a 'dazz how we do in our place' on you.

9 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Critically: 1:24am On Apr 18, 2017
Hannysmilez:
You think African mothers want to hear that one. After they 'carried you for nine months'.
and you survived by their power? Any mother that plays this card is not grateful to God. The fist step to independence is de-mystifying and de-deifying parents.(I hope my english is correct)

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by vigasimple(m): 1:34am On Apr 18, 2017
1Rebel:
I'd rather marry from another nationality.

This, unfortunately was what the then Saudana of Sokoto Sir. Ahmadu Bello said about the Igbo' s way back in the 60's . BTW that video is still on the youtube.

In terms of tribal problem in this country, we all have make some not too good contributions.

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by tealaw(m): 2:42am On Apr 18, 2017
Igbos are always after everythg scatter, scatter.

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by NaijaBinaryKing: 2:52am On Apr 18, 2017
Fresia01:
I'm Igbo dating a Yoruba guy.. .i love him BUh I'm still scared.. ...
Follow your heart dear, as long as you are sure of his love for you.

I am Yoruba, but married to an Akwaibom woman. I have never for one day regretted getting married to her.

9 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ndipe(m): 3:25am On Apr 18, 2017
To each his/her own.
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by fratermathy(m): 3:27am On Apr 18, 2017
Kellibae:

I guess u check the person i quoted.. u dnt just jump into comments withoit readin d cause.

My initial comments was IM NOT MAREYING OUTSIDE MY TRIBE! . befor some1 quoted me n start complaining .

Your use of language is quite appalling for someone with high tribalistic standards! angry Even tribalistic men want women who can teach their children how to communicate well, offline or online. I suggest you leave this issue of marriage and work on yourself for a while. It may do you some good.

@thread:
I'm a proud Urhobo man and in a relationship with an Igbo lady. She and her family are totally devoid of these tribalistic bunkum I'm seeing on this thread!

I guess upbringing and exposure matters a lot. So many people have never left their villages and enclaves. They are blinded by tribalism and propaganda against other tribes without realising that the things they complain of are common to all humans, across ethnic barriers! Tell me of an Urhobo cheater and I'll tell you thrice of Yoruba/Igbo/Hausa cheaters! Point being that cheaters and bad spouses exist everywhere.

In this modern society, we should be concerned with love, understanding, homely virtues and every other thing that makes a good spouse. Your ethnic group/family won't be the ones in the house with you. You alone can tell what's best for you.

19 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Revolva(m): 4:37am On Apr 18, 2017
1Rebel:
In all honesty, I do not see myself marrying from another tribe. I would want my kids to have pure Igbo genes. Mixing their genes with some other dirty oily cowardly genes just doesn't seem right.

Besides, Igbo girls got it all; beauty, brains and everything else. wink

**Yes I'm a proud tribalist, deal with it.

shame on you........

6 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by 9ja4show: 5:21am On Apr 18, 2017
Any educated Nigerian still thinking of what tribe not to marry and to marry should kindly return his certificate back to his school and apologize to his/her family for wasting their resources they spent in school

9 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by jessica042: 5:34am On Apr 18, 2017
If you get a good wife/husband, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.

hmmmm...dats deep and so true

3 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by omolayomi06: 5:48am On Apr 18, 2017
1Rebel:
In all honesty, I do not see myself marrying from another tribe. I would want my kids to have pure Igbo genes. Mixing their genes with some other dirty oily cowardly genes just doesn't seem right.

I know this common with you IBO's, you will never allow your daughters marry from another tribe most especially Yoruba's but you will come to yoruba girls with your Ogun owo to marry them.... I don't blame you any way na because of some stupid Yoruba girls that can do anything because of money,..

3 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 5:57am On Apr 18, 2017
dumo1:

Just like that. This is where your power of persuasion should have come into play.

Naaaaaaaa.

This is not the days of Romeo and Juliet bro.

These days, Romeo is hustling more than usual. He gat little time for a DOA r/shp

3 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 6:01am On Apr 18, 2017
omolayomi06:
I know this common with you IBO's, you will never allow your daughters marry from another tribe most especially Yoruba's but you will come to yoruba girls with your Ogun owo to marry them.... I don't blame you any way na because of some stupid Yoruba girls that can do anything because of money,..

He has successfully drawn you to the mud.

Don't go any further. Wash yourself and go home in peace.

God bless you

5 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 6:07am On Apr 18, 2017
Kellibae:

U be igbo and she is yoruba i guess

Obvious
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by ElsonMorali: 6:39am On Apr 18, 2017
1Rebel:

Lolest.

They asked all animals with horns to queue up, snail is also showing face. cheesy cheesy cheesy

I wonder who the unfortunate female who would marry you will be. Please send my heartfelt condolences to her already.

Just imagine marrying your daughter to a man, and after a year or so, She has to start looking for another husband because the one She married is stuck in a jail in Malaysia awaiting the hangman's noose.

Abegi comot hia.

Maybe that's why your women are so eager to have their kids' genes mixed with some other "dirty oily cowardly genes".

12 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by 989900: 6:41am On Apr 18, 2017
I have dated women from different tribes, countries, races, and of different colours, the qualities I want in a woman remain constant irrespective of where they come from.

When someone gets you, your communication becomes more fluid than your own kin of same tongue.

How many people of same tribe -- hell, even cousins get divorced in less than 3 years of marriage, or live through the hell they label, 'marriage'?

When our kinsmen behave badly, we tend to gloss over it or even accept it or make excuses for them, but when people of other 'genre' do same, we wail "impale him, impale him".

I refuse to allow my folks transfer their xenophobia borne out of myopia to me.
Same folks that will gladly approve you of marrying from another race entirely (probably much older, uglier, no morals, background unknown) when there are material benefits involved.

I pray y'all grow up and see the grand 'stoopidity' of subjectivity and prejudice.

10 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by ElsonMorali: 6:43am On Apr 18, 2017
1Rebel:
I'd rather marry from another nationality.

Is there a female in this world who will marry this fool? undecided

Unless of course you are talking of marrying Arabian camels angry

That's bestiality.

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by codemaniacs: 6:45am On Apr 18, 2017
k

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by nkwuocha: 6:48am On Apr 18, 2017
Well, it depends. Not all tribes I can marry from.One of which is the Yoruba tribe. They don't value marriage and cheats alot.

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Makz: 6:48am On Apr 18, 2017
Fresia01:
I'm Igbo dating a Yoruba guy.. .i love him BUh I'm still scared.. ...

Igbo kwenu! One Nigeria pls
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by ElsonMorali: 6:49am On Apr 18, 2017
Kellibae:

lol.. ur comments ar funny anyways grin
but get my facts rights..its more rampant in soutwaste i kno wat im.tellin u.

Where a pregnant woman will not respect her current situation and still go around bleepin.

Oh Yeah, is that why we have so much baby factories in the Southeast? Or are you a product of one?

Have you forgotten so quickly what your dilector said about you guys being 99% ashy?

Better get your facts right and ask around for who your dad is.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Siblings Prank Their 10-Year-Old Sister For Stealing Their Mum's Wine / Bride Gets A Peck From Her Granny (Adorable Photo) / What Happens To Orphanage Kids That Weren't Adopted and grew to adulthood?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.