Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,701 members, 7,813,308 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired (12813 Views)

And So I Finally Visit Enugu For APC Political Rally And Is Full Of Brown Roofs / Boko Haram Uses Special Roofs To Evade Air Bombardment —Army / What's Wrong In Having Brown Roofs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by inourcare: 8:14am On May 05, 2017
Can't Beat.
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Nwakaumu(m): 8:23am On May 05, 2017
Omofunaab2:

It's not poverty. Recently amosun started a road construction in abeokuta, he wanted to demolish some houses and relocate the old people there to another place but they preferred to remain there.

Infact it's even a taboo in most parts of Yoruba land to sell a family house. We have most of our great grandfathers buried in most of these family houses... And since most of the locals still worship gods ,Infact most of the gods have been buried inside the family house..

You guys won't understand sha.. .besides there are modern places in ibadan (new areas) brown roofs is part of our culture.. We will preserve it like that.
but the same family houses that you claimed It is taboo to be sold,but yoruba people sell their house,inluding their grand papa grave to igbo people in lagos.or are you waiting for igbo to come develop ibadan for you just like they did in lagos,so by tomorow you will be shouting suffer-sticated up and down.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by legislatively: 8:54am On May 05, 2017
Owerri is older than Ibadan, Ibadan was formed in the 1800s, owerri was in 1400s

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Omofunaab2: 9:12am On May 05, 2017
Nwakaumu:
but the same family houses that you claimed It is taboo to be sold,but yoruba people sell their house,inluding their grand papa grave to igbo people in lagos.or are you waiting for igbo to come develop ibadan for you just like they did in lagos,so by tomorow you will be shouting suffer-sticated up and down.

Are you guys not ashamed of yourselves for repeating this "we developed" line over and over again

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Nwakaumu(m): 9:19am On May 05, 2017
I'm proud to tell you that youruba are tenants in our house in ijesha road, surulere.do you have land for sale? so you can change ur brown roofs and thhrow some owanbe party. Shame less clown who are tenants in their land.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Coolitempq: 9:24am On May 05, 2017
Op I get am before no be property,

Secondly Igbo's don't sell their family or ancestral lands, it is Yorubas that do this, so if that is you standard for measuring respect you have to review respect in Yoruba land cause we all know that it is not Igbo's that sold all the Yoruba lands in Lagos and ogun state instead Igbo buy them or is it disrespectful to buy them too. grin

Third, your post goes to show you have never been to the SE, or Igboland because in igboland, when you enter any family compound you see the house built by the Son, father and grandfather all standing there, in most cases tenants are put either the father or grandfathers house to take care of the compound when the family travels to their various states or countries of residence.

Than again stop all the lies of wealth blah blah blah, or children out of respect not destroying those homes because their parents live there, MR OP do you think you are talking to people who have not set foot in Ibadan? Now let me correct your lies, those house in Ibadan have no streets no compounds no drainage, no toilet facilities, many of them are bungalows and worst of all they are not built on up too a quarter plot of land with foot paths connecting each together, so tell me how a standard building can enter such.

The only solution is for the government to demolish all those eyesore and map the area out for real estate and sell them off.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 9:27am On May 05, 2017
Okoyiboz3:
For all those from the land of the rising scams, I know you'll be here to deride the brown roofs of Ibadan. However, before you do, kindly point to one single ancient city developed by your ancestors?

As at the time the houses with brown roofs in Ibadan were being built, your fathers were still living in trees and learning how to make human sounds.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Coolitempq: 9:31am On May 05, 2017
Op, let me state here that it is not only Ibadan that has brown roofs, All SW States in Nigeria and Yoruba settlements in Lagos have brown roofs, it will also be important to note that Yorubas till this very day still build with zinc sheets in their cities and villages even in Lagos, that is why you can only find Yorubas selling second hand zinc roofing sheets is that one too a sign of wealth. grin

Op I need answers.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Agimor(m): 9:31am On May 05, 2017
HardMirror:
It is pitiable that many busy themselves here on nairaland on tribalistic battles. Afonjas vs Ipodyoots and the that sort of gibby-gabber.

Well when next you see pictures of ibadan and the obvious predominance of brown roofs remember this.

the brown roof is actually a dipiction of wealth. yes! Those brown roofs you see actually shows wealth. The wealth of the cocoa farmers and merchants.
They were wealthy enough to build storey buildings and put zinc roofing sheet on it. There was no aluminium sheeet in those days.

other states envied Ibadan at that time. They were simply too under developed to compete with ibadan in terms of classic and exotic buildings. Many were still using mud while ibadan was building with blocks and those zinc roofs that are now brown.

nothing lasts forever. Aluminium roofing could become obsolate in some years to come

yoruba's respect for elders. Many want to demolish those old buildings, but the old people still occupying them won't allow it. They keep telling tales of how "baba baba re" built the house igbos on the other hand don't have this problem they can demolish and sell their properties without thinking of history all they measure if the money to be made.

So my fellow afonjas don't be perturbed by the brown roof. It reminds us of the greates city in west africa for decades while other states were still forests
As much as I want to agree with you, this does not in anyway validate the brown roof still been use.... For God sake it's being ages already so find a sellable excuse.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 9:33am On May 05, 2017
Every city or town in nigeria has brown roof!!!!......The igbos just hate ibadan out of envy and jealousy.The bigger the city in nigeria ,the bigger the brown roof.I guess this part of enugu is part of Ibadan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Agimor(m): 9:39am On May 05, 2017
Coolitempq:
Op, let me state here that it is not only Ibadan that has brown roofs, All SW States in Nigeria and Yoruba settlements in Lagos have brown roofs, it will also be important to note that Yorubas till this very day still build with zinc sheets in their cities and villages even in Lagos, that is why you can only find Yorubas selling second hand zinc roofing sheets is that one too a sign of wealth. grin

Op I need answers.
Guy why you wicked like this Lolxxx..... He never answer questions wen he raised finish you they ask an another wey go throw an off balance...
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by legislatively: 9:41am On May 05, 2017
Basic123:
Every city or town in nigeria has brown roof!!!!......The igbos just hate ibadan out of envy and jealousy.The bigger the city in nigeria ,the bigger the brown roof.I guess this part of enugu is part of Ibadan.
that picture is ogbete market, they are not buildings. Its a market place

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 9:44am On May 05, 2017
Yyeske:
See consolation over rubbish. Is Ibadan the oldest city in the world? Why is more than 90% of the city brown roofed or is it a case of arrested development.
Remember, I get am before no be property
This thing go strike you if the brown roof is >90% of the city.Stop this stereotyping now.People will not take you serious again!!

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 9:45am On May 05, 2017
legislatively:
that picture is ogbete market, they are not buildings. Its a market place
lolz,its now market!!!...consolable excuse.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by legislatively: 9:48am On May 05, 2017
Basic123:
lolz,its now market!!!...consolable excuse.
ask anybody, that's a market place, people don't live there

8 Likes

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Coolitempq: 9:49am On May 05, 2017
Basic123:
olodo the picture you posted is that of a open market, were you expecting them to use long span aluminum sheets of a open market. grin Afonja.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Coolitempq: 9:51am On May 05, 2017
Agimor:
Guy why you wicked like this Lolxxx..... He never answer questions wen he raised finish you they ask an another wey go throw an off balance...
my brother I dey even vex say I enta this thread late, nothing spoil sha... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 9:54am On May 05, 2017
Coolitempq:
olodo the picture you posted is that of a open market, were you expecting them to use long span aluminum sheets of a open market. grin Afonja.
Yes,i'm Afonja.

Awwa you Omo yeeboo,the Igbo.

oh,you can call it market.!,consolating excuse...we thought yeeboo land if full of red roofs..lolz

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by nduchucks: 9:55am On May 05, 2017
HardMirror:
It is pitiable that many busy themselves here on nairaland on tribalistic battles. Afonjas vs Ipodyoots and the that sort of gibby-gabber.

Well when next you see pictures of ibadan and the obvious predominance of brown roofs remember this.

the brown roof is actually a dipiction of wealth. yes! Those brown roofs you see actually shows wealth. The wealth of the cocoa farmers and merchants.
They were wealthy enough to build storey buildings and put zinc roofing sheet on it. There was no aluminium sheeet in those days.

other states envied Ibadan at that time. They were simply too under developed to compete with ibadan in terms of classic and exotic buildings. Many were still using mud while ibadan was building with blocks and those zinc roofs that are now brown.

nothing lasts forever. Aluminium roofing could become obsolate in some years to come

yoruba's respect for elders. Many want to demolish those old buildings, but the old people still occupying them won't allow it. They keep telling tales of how "baba baba re" built the house igbos on the other hand don't have this problem they can demolish and sell their properties without thinking of history all they measure if the money to be made.

So my fellow afonjas don't be perturbed by the brown roof. It reminds us of the greates city in west africa for decades while other states were still forests

This post is a very interesting post but is a potentially false narrative.

Please note that during the period of prosperity in Ibadan, mentioned in the above post, cities such as Kano in the North prospered as well because of the economic success of the groundnut pyramids. Houses built in Kano and other cities in the Northern region during the same period used zinc roofs hence you will not find brown roofs, the likes of those found in Ibadan, in the said region.

Lets try not to unnecessarily revise history in the defense of a badly planned city. Would the OP have an explanation for the reason why, after 50 - 60 years, the brown roofs and the dilapidated buildings on which they are installed have not yet been demolished and replaced by modern buildings?

4 Likes

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by AnambraDota: 10:00am On May 05, 2017
grin grin grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by kanayoNickel: 10:12am On May 05, 2017
the point is that the yorubas in Ibadan are low-income earners. I dont see why someone with enough money wouldnt buy a nice zinc or upgrade to WC.

and that Phyno music pic is ogbete market , i can site my Uncle's Law office building overlooking the market.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Coolitempq: 10:13am On May 05, 2017
Basic123:
Yes,i'm Afonja.

Awwa you Omo yeeboo,the Igbo.

oh,you can call it market.!,consolating excuse...we thought yeeboo land if full of red roofs..lolz
stop crying Afonja I know you are so pained that we don't do brown roofs in Igboland, which is common sight in Ibadead grin

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 10:17am On May 05, 2017
Coolitempq:
stop crying Afonja I know you are so pained that we don't do brown roofs in Igboland, which is common sight in Ibadead grin
lolz..your claim,bragging,chestbeating you are known for are not necessary,relevant and important,you can even claim,brag and chest beat that you imported london to igboland.But this picture speaks volume.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Coolitempq: 1:43pm On May 05, 2017
Basic123:
lolz..your claim,bragging,chestbeating you are known for are not necessary,relevant and important,you can even claim,brag and chest beat that you imported london to igboland.But this picture speaks volume.
what chest beating was I the Lagos governor that said Igbo's have 60% real estate in Lagos or am I the Oba of Lagos that confirmed that Lagos is not yorubaland or is it now my fault that I came to Lagos with one Nylon bag like many other Igbo brothers and now own mansions in the city and even buying up Afonja ancestral homes thereby forcing them to live on the lagoon or sea shores like fishermen grin

Afonja ronu cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by MXrep: 2:53pm On May 05, 2017
Ibadan is not an ancient city, the cause of rusted roofs in Ibadan can be found in the Bible. Ecclesiastes 10:18 Through laziness, the rafters sag; because of idle hands, the house leaks.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by MXrep: 2:55pm On May 05, 2017
Basic123:
Lo, we can see modern multistorey appartments on the background, compare to this picture of ibadan

9 Likes

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 3:10pm On May 05, 2017
MXrep:

Lo, we can see modern multistorey appartments on the background, compare to this picture of ibadan
Lolz..we thought igbo land has no brown roof at all untill we found this:

lolz..your claim,bragging,chestbeating you are
known for are not necessary,relevant and
important,you can even claim,brag and chest beat
that you imported london to igboland.But these picture
speaks volume.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by MXrep: 3:18pm On May 05, 2017
Basic123:
yes every city has brown roof but the percentage is what matters, look at the pic you posted, the brown roof area did not extend so long and modern multistorey blocks of flats can be seen fast replacing them. compare to Ibadan, 90% rust.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 3:18pm On May 05, 2017
MXrep:

That is what an igbo man will see because tribalism and empty chest beating have beclouded his vision and reasoning.An objective,hausa/fulani,bini,and yoruba man after seeing ibadan brown roof will also see these

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 3:21pm On May 05, 2017
MXrep:

yes every city has brown roof but the percentage is what matters, look at the pic you posted, the brown roof area did not extend so long and modern multistorey blocks of flats can be seen fast replacing them. compare to Ibadan, 90% rust.
The bigger the city in nigeria the bigger the brown roof.Also,I pray this Amadihoa strike you if that is >90% of ibadan

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by MXrep: 3:21pm On May 05, 2017
Basic123:
Lolz..we thought igbo land has no brown roof at all untill we found this:

lolz..your claim,bragging,chestbeating you are
known for are not necessary,relevant and
important,you can even claim,brag and chest beat
that you imported london to igboland.But these picture
speaks volume.
Lol, consolation is allowed

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by MXrep: 3:23pm On May 05, 2017
Basic123:
The bigger the city in nigeria the bigger the brown roof.Also,I pray this Amadihoa strike you if that is >90% of ibadan
Lol, more consolations, change your roofs bro

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hardworking Leaders, The Lazy Youths And The $320m Abacha Loot / Policeman Kill Makoko Traditional Ruler / Federal High Court Redeploys Justices Liman, Abang, Nine Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.