Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,731 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired (12829 Views)

And So I Finally Visit Enugu For APC Political Rally And Is Full Of Brown Roofs / Boko Haram Uses Special Roofs To Evade Air Bombardment —Army / What's Wrong In Having Brown Roofs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Yyeske(m): 4:35am On May 07, 2017
Okezenwa:

Iboes are truly hypocrite. Today they cry marginalization, the next day they claim there land is Dubai. SW is rubbish and they cant stop trooping to same place, something must be wrong with the brain of an average Iboe man. Confused people
Oniranu, pay a visit to the SE and clear your doubts

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Okezenwa: 4:53am On May 07, 2017
Yyeske:

Arindin, I should visit a place where everyone is running away from, are you sane? Its just like telling to go visit Somalia grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Eastwalk(m): 7:59am On May 07, 2017
Yyeske:
Ala Igbo

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by arinze2015: 8:09am On May 07, 2017
ib city

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by arinze2015: 8:12am On May 07, 2017
more of ib city

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by myplaydiary: 9:23am On May 07, 2017
arinze2015:
more of ib city
chai chai chai, Abeg Igbo's make una small small dey knack our sufferiscated brothers cone skulls, for the sake of them unity beggars Abeg...

See as them dey cry come dey post markets as brown roofs, chai grin

Afonjas pele tongue

Make I park for this thread first grin

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by SIRTee15: 9:32am On May 07, 2017
MXrep:

bros, this your wailing is a consolation, urbanization simply implies houses clustering together in a nucleated settlement, as against igboland with dispersed settlement, yorubaland is highly urbanized, but urbanization has nothing to do with better standard of living. zinc takes less than 30 years to rust, so your excuse about age is untenable, secondly, when zinc rusts, the right thing is to change to aluminum, when mud house becomes shaky, you demolish and built decent block house, if you can't do any of these, it is lack of wherewithal and not those flimsy excuses

I agree with u, but another option is to build a new house.....
At least that's what my dad n his siblings did.....
Thus abandoning their grandfather's house.....
Yoruba towns urbanized very early n the development was right in the the town centre....
This explains the nucleated arrangement of ancient houses in Yorubaland.....
New houses springing up are mainly in the outskirts, where land is cheap and purchase has less problems......
If ur notion is Yoruba people don't build modern houses, then u get it all wrong.....
In Yoruba hinterland, people don't live in rented apartment for long duration.....
U gather whatever money u have and build ur own house, whether u be upper class or working class.....
Although,I'll admitt they mostly build bungalows.....

Now coming to erecting mansions in places where u don't live.......
Yoruba elites in the 80s n 90s did just that.......
Building mansions in their home town n celebrating it with so much pomp n pageantry.....
It was the rave then n wealthy men competed amongst each other.....
Unfortunately, those houses are abandoned today........
People now make reference to those houses, not because of their elegance, but......
A reminder of how not to waste ur money in the time of plenty.......
A perfect example is a place called shokaz estate in IJEBU Igbo.....
I remember sunny ade calling it paradise on earth......
It doesn't look so anymore......
Now will u blame the younger generation if they choose to build in places where they live or has prime real estate value......

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Eastwalk(m): 9:37am On May 07, 2017
SIRTee15:

I agree with u, but another option is to build a new house.....
At least that's what my dad n his siblings did.....
Thus abandoning their grandfather's house.....
Yoruba towns urbanized very early n the development was right in the the town centre....
This explains the nucleated arrangement of ancient houses in Yorubaland.....
New houses springing up are mainly in the outskirts, where land is cheap and purchase has less problems......
If ur notion is Yoruba people don't build modern houses, then u get it all wrong.....
In Yoruba hinterland, people don't live in rented apartment for long duration.....
U gather whatever money u have and build ur own house, whether u be upper class or working class.....
Although,I'll admitt they mostly build bungalows.....

Now coming to erecting mansions in places where u don't live.......
Yoruba elites in the 80s n 90s did just that.......
Building mansions in their home town n celebrating it with so much pomp n pageantry.....
It was the rave then n wealthy men competed amongst each other.....
Unfortunately, those houses are abandoned today........
People now make reference to those houses, not because of their elegance, but......
A reminder of how not to waste ur money in the time of plenty.......
A perfect example is a place called shokaz estate in IJEBU Igbo.....
I remember sunny ade calling it paradise on earth......
It doesn't look so anymore......
Now will u blame the younger generation if they choose to build in places where they live or has prime real estate value......

No mind am, like SA no be that same Ibadan residential be this

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Allann(m): 11:36am On May 07, 2017
MXrep:

bros, this your wailing is a consolation, urbanization simply implies houses clustering together in a nucleated settlement, as against igboland with dispersed settlement, yorubaland is highly urbanized, but urbanization has nothing to do with better standard of living. zinc takes less than 30 years to rust, so your excuse about age is untenable, secondly, when zinc rusts, the right thing is to change to aluminum, when mud house becomes shaky, you demolish and built decent block house, if you can't do any of these, it is lack of wherewithal and not those flimsy excuses

There are two factors you need to consider in your argument :
1. Igbos are known for living in dispersed settlements. So, as they urbanized, the empty Space are built up to have morden towns. However, in yoruba land, they live in nucleated settlements. So, modern development has to be in the outskirts.

2. The inheritance systems also have some roles to play. In Igbo land, the eldest son inherits the father's property, an so becomes the owner. He could do whatever he likes with such inherited building. However, in Yoruba land, all the deceased owner's children have right to the building. So it's always difficult to agree on joint effort at refurbishing the inherited building(especially in a polygamous family). Individuals will rather go and erect their personal buildings in the outskirts to avoid family problems.

Dont you wonder why Ibadan has remained the largest city in Nigeria (and beyond) for almost a century?

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by arinze2015: 11:48am On May 07, 2017
Eastwalk:
No mind am, like SA no be that same Ibadan residential be this

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by mercyville: 8:47pm On May 07, 2017
[quote author=arinze2015 post=56289220][/quote]ALL SE STATES PUT TOGETHER ARE ONLY COMPARABLE TO OYO STATE.SE IS A SMALL ENCLAVE BUT STILL HAVE BROWN ROOFS.45 MILLION PEOPLE...IGBOS CANNOT DEVELOP THAT SMALL ENCLAVE...SHAME.
IBADAN
I-IPATA
B-BOYS
A-ARE
D-DANGEROUS
A-AT
N-NIGHT .
IBADAN is indeed a beautiful African world class city.
All the south east states put tgda can never be beautiful like IBADAN.
what are our biafra governors doing?
wake up from slumbering and develop biafra.

If only igboland can have half as beautiful skyline like this,only then will the world take them serious.

https://www.nairaland.com/2303392/recent-beautiful-pictures-ibadan-pride

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 9:09pm On May 07, 2017
bakynes:

But do you know Ibadan is bigger than 2-3 states combined in the South East land mass wise and Oyo state is almost the size of the entire South East.
their so called 10% manageable part is even bigger than enugu and owerri combined.

Enugu=bodija

owerri=oluyoe-ringroad-challenge axis.
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by arinze2015: 9:11pm On May 07, 2017
mercyville:
ALL SE STATES PUT TOGETHER ARE ONLY COMPARABLE TO OYO STATE.SE IS A SMALL ENCLAVE BUT STILL HAVE BROWN ROOFS.45 MILLION PEOPLE...IGBOS CANNOT DEVELOP THAT SMALL ENCLAVE...SHAME.
IBADAN
I-IPATA
B-BOYS
A-ARE
D-DANGEROUS
A-AT
N-NIGHT .

If only igboland can have half as beautiful skyline like this,only then will the world take them serious.

let me not reply you badly cos you have not beento onitsha not talk of other south east cities
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by arinze2015: 9:21pm On May 07, 2017
Basic123:
their so called 10% manageable part is even bigger than enugu and owerri combined.

Enugu=bodija

owerri=oluyoe-ringroad-challenge axis.
you suppose sy that bodija is bigger than coal city illiterate

you think its by landmass if it is by landmass then Niger state must hav be the best in africa

ibadan is almost same size with lagos state but lagos is 10000000 bigger than ibadan in everything except landmass

ibadan may be 5 time bigger than enugu but go and check igr by state and see how enugu beat oyo handsdown

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by arinze2015: 9:57pm On May 07, 2017
[quote author=arinze2015 post=56303892] let me not reply you badly cos you have not beento onitsha not talk of other south east cities[/quote
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by arinze2015: 10:01pm On May 07, 2017
mercyville:
ALL SE STATES PUT TOGETHER ARE ONLY COMPARABLE TO OYO STATE.SE IS A SMALL ENCLAVE BUT STILL HAVE BROWN ROOFS.45 MILLION PEOPLE...IGBOS CANNOT DEVELOP THAT SMALL ENCLAVE...SHAME.
IBADAN
I-IPATA
B-BOYS
A-ARE
D-DANGEROUS
A-AT
N-NIGHT .

you can go online and check out most beautiful cities in nig
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 6:16am On May 08, 2017
arinze2015:
you suppose sy that bodija is bigger than coal city illiterate

you think its by landmass if it is by landmass then Niger state must hav be the best in africa

ibadan is almost same size with lagos state but lagos is 10000000 bigger than ibadan in everything except landmass

ibadan may be 5 time bigger than enugu but go and check igr by state and see how enugu beat oyo handsdown
lolz,Mr IBRF....your sentiments hold no water for everyone except for pseudolitrates like you.

BODIJA=ENUGU

Are you sure enugu IGR>ibadan's.Walahi,IBRFs bragging and chest beating is legendary.
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 6:18am On May 08, 2017
arinze2015:
you can go online and check out most beautiful cities in nig
lolz...we've always know that the purpose of your multiple thread on cities is to confuse online gullible visitors.The same area taking from different shot angles.
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Yyeske(m): 10:35am On May 08, 2017
Allann:

2. The inheritance systems also have some roles to play. In Igbo land, the eldest son inherits the father's property, an so becomes the owner. He could do whatever he likes with such inherited building. However, in Yoruba land, all the deceased owner's children have right to the building. So it's always difficult to agree on joint effort at refurbishing the inherited building(especially in a polygamous family). Individuals will rather go and erect their personal buildings in the outskirts to avoid family problems.

This makes sense but not really an excuse
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by arinze2015: 10:39am On May 08, 2017
Basic123:
lolz...we've always know that the purpose of your multiple thread on cities is to confuse online gullible visitors.The same area taking from different shot angles.
if that is what you have to say then i quit cos you have no point
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by arinze2015: 10:40am On May 08, 2017
Basic123:
lolz,Mr IBRF....your sentiments hold no water for everyone except for pseudolitrates like you.

BODIJA=ENUGU

Are you sure enugu IGR>ibadan's.Walahi,IBRFs bragging and chest beating is legendary.
i dont even get your point
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 10:46am On May 08, 2017
arinze2015:
if that is what you have to say then i quit cos you have no point
your judgement is not relevant.
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 10:48am On May 08, 2017
arinze2015:
I knew you would not.
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 10:51am On May 08, 2017
arinze2015:
I knew you would not.However,its not for your own consumption alone.Those that would get the point have gotten it.
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Allann(m): 6:18pm On May 08, 2017
Yyeske:
This makes sense but not really an excuse

Not really trying to give any excuse but just trying to explain the "brown roofs ". They should not be seen as a sign of backwardness or stagnancy, rather as a phase in development. It appears most Igbo towns are now going nucleated, and Yoruba towns growing on the outskirts. Some people have chosen to ignore the development but rather overemphasized the brown roofs.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 7:02pm On May 08, 2017
Allann:

Not really trying to give any excuse but just trying to explain the "brown roofs ". They should not be seen as a sign of backwardness or stagnancy, rather as a phase in development. It appears most Igbo towns are now going nucleated, and Yoruba towns growing on the outskirts. Some people have chosen to ignore the development but rather overemphasized the brown roofs.
leave them,the only method to reach orgasm by them is to mention brown roofs and post the pictures.That is why they are called brown roof fetishists.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by arinze2015: 8:01pm On May 08, 2017
Basic123:
I knew you would not.However,its not for your own consumption alone.Those that would get the point have gotten it.
actually i dont want to reply you again but it better to educate you rather than leaving you in your ignorance
before coming here to disgrace yourself by saying i am chest beating why cant brows richest nig state 2014/2015 or2015/2016
you can as well browse most beatiful nig cities and know where ibadan fall to
pls dont quote if you dont have good point or fact to challenge my point
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by Basic123: 8:03pm On May 08, 2017
arinze2015:
actually i dont want to reply you again but it better to educate you rather than leaving you in your ignorance
before coming here to disgrace yourself by saying i am chest beating why cant brows richest nig state 2014/2015 or2015/2016
you can as well browse most beatiful nig cities and know where ibadan fall to
pls dont quote if you dont have good point or fact to challenge my point
I knew you would not.However,its not for your own
consumption alone.Those that would get the point
have gotten it.
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by arinze2015: 8:05pm On May 08, 2017
Allann:

bro that is a very big lie go and renovate your house and stop giving meaningless excuses
Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by arinze2015: 8:07pm On May 08, 2017
Basic123:
I knew you would not.However,its not for your own
consumption alone.Those that would get the point
have gotten it.
do you read my post at all ?

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by MXrep: 8:58pm On May 08, 2017
Eastwalk:
Ala Igbo
Mumu, did you see any rusted roofs or shanties, take a look at ala yoruba slum

Re: Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired by MXrep: 9:01pm On May 08, 2017
mercyville:
IBADAN
I-IPATA
B-BOYS
A-ARE
D-DANGEROUS
A-AT
N-NIGHT .

skyline surrounded by shanties and shitty dilapidated mudhouse and rusted roofs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Senator Sonni Ogbuoji Decamps To APC From PDP / Port Harcourt Refinery Not ‘Fully’ Ready – Leadership / Abiola’s Wife Emerge UPN Lagos Governorship Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.