Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,028 members, 7,828,609 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me (25402 Views)

Gauck Advised Buhari To Use Illegal Means To Recover Looted Funds -PremiumTimes / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by vicenzo(m): 2:12am On Nov 01, 2010
@ alj harem.Does ur ignorance know no bounds,what has mtn,a south african telecom company got to do wit ndiigbo,as for glo we know why they wil always be second to glo,dangote cement huh?we are talking about successful ventures and u are here talking about dangote cement,wake up. @ jason. Who are u? surely not an igbo.For ur information the igbos wil not repeat the mistakes of our past leaders,who fail to realize that in this country of ours,nobody is a friend to us,before the independence zik had the chance to give us a country of our own but sacrificed it on the alter of one nigeria,aguiyi ironsi did the same when he went to ibadan despite the pleas of ndiigbo and surrouded himself wit northern and western frenemies,the rest is history.Any igboman that is dreaming of a day when nigerians wil like the igbo is better wake up,not when we are richer than them,poverty we know goes wit witchcraft.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by vicenzo(m): 2:17am On Nov 01, 2010
@ alj harem. i meant to write glo being second to mtn
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by aljharem(m): 10:15am On Nov 01, 2010
vicenzo:

@ alj harem.Does your ignorance know no bounds,what has mtn,a south african telecom company got to do wit ndiigbo,as for glo we know why they wil always be second to glo,dangote cement huh?we are talking about successful ventures and u are here talking about dangote cement,wake up. @ jason. Who are u? surely not an igbo.For your information the igbos wil not repeat the mistakes of our past leaders,who fail to realize that in this country of ours,nobody is a friend to us,before the independence zik had the chance to give us a country of our own but sacrificed it on the alter of one nigeria,aguiyi ironsi did the same when he went to ibadan despite the pleas of ndiigbo and surrouded himself wit northern and western frenemies,the rest is history.Any igboman that is dreaming of a day when nigerians wil like the igbo is better wake up,not when we are richer than them,poverty we know goes wit witchcraft.

am not here to fight u
all am saying is that do not call other groups as slaves to u
and yes if u think igbos rule the economy, then that is ignorant of u
if u think the igbos are the ones driving nigeria, well that is dumb

no group is jealous of the igbos, trust me

if they are more ppl will be going to the east not the other way around

or do u think if the hausas are jealous of igbos they well be there gateman, we are very humble ppl we even clean ppl shoes and don't care if they call us aboki and all types of degrading names, facts

if yorubas are jealous of igbos do u think the opc would not rain havoc on the igbo community in lagose and ibadan
at least that is what they do to northerners over there.

so shut ur mouth about this supremacy of the igbos, ok because u know nothing and they way u talk i don't think u will
EzeUche0:

Save your talks of peaceful means for someone else. We must fight fire with fire. If they kill one Igbo, their whole community in the East should be put to the fire.

They raze a village, then we will raze an entire city. All is fair in love & war. . .
Onlytruth:

This is a deceitful statement.
When you say "most" northerners, what is the percentage of educated northerners?

If I say most Igbos, chances are that about 80% attended at least a secondary school education.  So I can equate "most" Igbos with literate or semi-literate conduct. I cannot do that with northerners because the opposite is the case.
So, if most northerners are illiterate, then one can deduce that most northerners are murderers of unarmed women and children.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 11:26am On Nov 01, 2010
vicenzo:

@ alj harem.Does your ignorance know no bounds,what has mtn,a south african telecom company got to do wit ndiigbo,as for glo we know why they wil always be second to glo,dangote cement huh?we are talking about successful ventures and u are here talking about dangote cement,wake up. @ jason. Who are u? surely not an igbo.For your information the igbos wil not repeat the mistakes of our past leaders,who fail to realize that in this country of ours,nobody is a friend to us,before the independence zik had the chance to give us a country of our own but sacrificed it on the alter of one nigeria,aguiyi ironsi did the same when he went to ibadan despite the pleas of ndiigbo and surrouded himself wit northern and western frenemies,the rest is history.Any igboman that is dreaming of a day when nigerians wil like the igbo is better wake up,not when we are richer than them,poverty we know goes wit witchcraft.

my brother, i know you are bitter. but you talking like that is going to make matters worse for ndigbo in nigeria.

yes, im not igbo. i consider myself as a youba man but i was not born yoruba.

my best friend here in uk is igbo. i'm triing to bring unity between yorubas, SS and igbos smiley. i pray God will make it possible.

but when you say something like that on a public forum, its not just you or the members of NL that reads this. it is read by various non-members all over nigeria.
with your statement, it will be virtually impossible to create bridges required for an igbo man to be president. that sought of statement can even lead to ethnic riots in nigeria if care is not taken.

you have to face the truth, if yorubas and hausas hate igbos, then all the igbos in lagos, ibadan, abuja,edo, delta, kano, kaduna and sokoto would have been wiped out!!! but thats not the case, when last have you heard any ethnic riots in those cities.

we all need eachother. if biafra, arewa,or odua republic is formed, the market in those economies would be insignificant compared to the grand scheme of things.

one question, are you in nigeria? pls if you are, dont listen to ezeuche. i beg you, pls don't . people like him are in the USA shouting war in nigeria. when the war starts they will run back to the USA. so my brother "n ndo" grin "biko"
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by vicenzo(m): 7:22pm On Nov 01, 2010
@alj harem.i laugh with thick igbo accent,since wen has polishing people's shoe become humility,if nothing it speaks of laziness and lack of dreams dat characterize the north,nafdac was a mess before dora came to rescue,nigeria was in serious debt before ngozi came to rescue,what about the ict sector men like david mark made it a rich man affair,but see what ndukwe has achieved,what about the banking sector and soludo solution,see what sanusi has turned it into,even the so called most free and fair election was conducted by an igbo man,can u mention any achievement nigeria has made with a northerner at the centre,surely the wisemen always come from the east. @jason. who told u ndiigbo needs the presidency of nigeria to survive,we have managed to survive the harsh enviroment of nigeria without that luxury(ask ibeto),and yet we are better of than all nigerians;we dont need to be trusted or trust any body again,the last time we did that,we lost millons. I think nigeria needs an igbo president more than the igbo because we have faired better without the presidency but nigeria hasnt without the igbo,when nigeria becomes tired of experimenting;then it wil seek for wisdom and the wisemen we know always come from the east.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 7:44pm On Nov 01, 2010
vicenzo:

@alj harem.i laugh with thick igbo accent,since wen has polishing people's shoe become humility,if nothing it speaks of laziness and lack of dreams dat characterize the north,nafdac was a mess before dora came to rescue,nigeria was in serious debt before ngozi came to rescue,what about the ict sector men like david mark made it a rich man affair,but see what ndukwe has achieved,what about the banking sector and soludo solution,see what sanusi has turned it into,even the so called most free and fair election was conducted by an igbo man,can u mention any achievement nigeria has made with a northerner at the centre,surely the wisemen always come from the east. @jason. who told u ndiigbo needs the presidency of nigeria to survive,we have managed to survive the harsh enviroment of nigeria without that luxury(ask ibeto),and yet we are better of than all nigerians;we dont need to be trusted or trust any body again,the last time we did that,we lost millons. I think nigeria needs an igbo president more than the igbo because we have faired better without the presidency but nigeria hasnt without the igbo,when nigeria becomes tired of experimenting;then it wil seek for wisdom and the wisemen we know always come from the east.

@ bolded
okay, i'll hold on to those words!!!. but how old are you?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by aljharem(m): 10:01pm On Nov 01, 2010
vicenzo:

sharrap dia
igbo this, igbo that
so without igbos in the country, nigeria would not survive, do u hear how dumb u sound ah ah!!!! dumb!!!!!!

so the wise igbos, are the one kidnapping ppl in the name of money abi
or the wise clifford orji

just stop typing rubbish, because the so called wise igbos can not even make there states better than others so just shut it.
jason12345:

@ bolded
okay, i'll hold on to those words!!!. but how old are you?

it is true how old are u because u just keep saying igbos grin grin dumb
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by vicenzo(m): 1:29am On Nov 03, 2010
@jason.I dont know why u are obsessed with age,where i come from,age is respected while achievement and success are celebrated.Like i said before nigeria cann ot just ignore the war and move on like nothing happened,nigeria needs to address the issues that led to the war and events dat happened during and after the war.During the war i lost my brother,he was shot and couldnt run,he didnt join the army because he was forced by ojukwu ,he did it to protect us against the invading nigerian army,the biafra war was about survival contrary to what nigeria believes.mum watched helplessly as chuka died from malnutrition courtsey of awolowo and yet today he adorns the naira note as a hero,what sort of hero advocates the starvation of helpless women and children,after the war grandpa lost all his life savings courtsey of awolowo, the abandoned property issue that followed soon after was too much for him to bear and he later died of stroke,he was not the only one, many rich igbo people suffered the same fate.Today nigeria accuses ojukwu of being greedy and wanting to claim the niger delta oil reserve ,if dat was the case,ojukwu would have sent the strongest troop to niger delta to protect the oil wells,but he didnt rather the strong troops was sent westwards and northwards.It is obvious dat nigeria killed millions of biafrans because of OIL,the manner in which she gave bakassi(a small quantity of oil)away to gain biafra(a large quantity of oil) says it all,the war was never about regaining biafrans,it is about regaining the oil fields.believe me the war might have occured some years ago but to most igbo people the scares are stil there,they showed this wen they closed their shops throughout the federation wen uwazuluike declared a sit at home strike.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 2:10am On Nov 03, 2010
vicenzo:

@jason.I dont know why u are obsessed  with age,where i come from,age is respected while achievement  and success are celebrated.Like i said before nigeria cann ot just ignore the war and move on like nothing happened,nigeria needs to address the issues that led to the war and events dat happened during and after the war.During the war i lost my brother,he was shot and couldnt run,he didnt join the army because he was forced by ojukwu ,he did it to protect us against the invading nigerian army,the biafra war was about survival contrary to what nigeria believes.mum watched helplessly as chuka died from malnutrition courtsey of awolowo and yet today he adorns the naira note as a hero,what sort of hero advocates the starvation of helpless women and  children,after the war grandpa lost  all his life savings courtsey of awolowo, the abandoned property issue that followed soon after was too much for him to bear and he later died of stroke,he was not the only one, many rich igbo people suffered the same fate.Today nigeria accuses ojukwu of being greedy and wanting to claim the niger delta oil reserve ,if dat was the case,ojukwu would have sent the strongest troop to niger delta to protect the oil wells,but he didnt rather the strong troops was sent westwards and northwards.It is obvious dat nigeria killed millions of biafrans  because of OIL,the manner in which she gave bakassi(a small quantity of  oil)away to gain biafra(a large quantity of oil) says it all,the war was never about regaining biafrans,it is about regaining the oil fields.believe me the war might have occured some years ago but to most igbo people the scares are stil there,they showed this wen they closed their shops throughout the federation wen uwazuluike declared a sit at home strike.

my brother, i am so so sorry. ha, my brother you have gone through alot. my best friend (igbo) also told me a similar story. i am deeply sory for you loss. cry

i always see igbos as my brothers, and i always will. nothing will ever change that. not even the so called e- warriors.

i am not here to justify what awolowo did. but i read in histroy books he did that because ojukwu tried to invade the west.

my brother, i am almost crying here. i don't know what to say!!! all i can canvass for is unity. pls my brother, biko., forgive any wrong doing of any yoruba that might have had a hand in this crazy act. all i have read was that ojukwu invade the west and bombed lagos killing alot of yorubas and it was an act of self defence from the biafra soldiers. my brother, pls lets unite. yoruba, igbo, ss. please. i feel really sad and bad. pls, i am not nigerian government, i am helpless.

this cannot happen again in Nigeria never. the yorubas would never, ever allow it. tufiakwa!!! never. pls. thats why the yorubas have never laid hands on the igbos in the sw. we see igbos as brothers not enemies. there might be one or two fight but thats all,  we are too similar to fight.

pls let me know how i can help>pls any way possible!!!

i also read that when the igbos killed the northern leader in a coup, they were sing " we rule the country" and thats what angered the northerner.

my brother, do you see why i dont pray for war?!!!!! all this ezeuche and becomerich are all just jokers. they are in diaspora while the true nigerians are suffering yet they want war pls, let be the elment of peace.

again, i am deeply sorry. let me know how i can help. anyway possible. stay blessed
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 2:22am On Nov 03, 2010
it was also said that awolowo returned all the igbo properties after the war
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 2:37am On Nov 03, 2010
also, you forgot about the ijaws and the middlebelt that fought against biafra. its not just the yorubas and hausa you know
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 2:40am On Nov 03, 2010
jason12345:

my brother, i am so so sorry. ha, my brother you have gone through alot. my best friend (igbo) also told me a similar story. i am deeply sory for you loss. cry

i always see igbos as my brothers, and i always will. nothing will ever change that. not even the so called e- warriors.

i am not here to justify what awolowo did. but i read in histroy books he did that because ojukwu tried to invade the west.

my brother, i am almost crying here. i don't know what to say!!! all i can canvass for is unity. pls my brother, biko., forgive any wrong doing of any yoruba that might have had a hand in this crazy act. [b]all i have read was that ojukwu invade the west and bombed lagos  killing alot of yorubas [/b]and it was an act of self defence from the biafra soldiers. my brother, pls lets unite. yoruba, igbo, ss. please. i feel really sad and bad. pls, i am not nigerian government, i am helpless.

this cannot happen again in Nigeria never. the yorubas would never, ever allow it. tufiakwa!!! never. pls. thats why the yorubas have never laid hands on the igbos in the sw. we see igbos as brothers not enemies. there might be one or two fight but thats all,  we are too similar to fight.

pls let me know how i can help>pls any way possible!!!

i also read that when the igbos killed the northern leader in a coup, they were sing " we rule the country" and thats what angered the northerner.

my brother, do you see why i dont pray for war?!!!!! all this ezeuche and becomerich are all just jokers. they are in diaspora while the true nigerians are suffering yet they want war pls, let be the elment of peace.

again, i am deeply sorry. let me know how i can help. anyway possible. stay blessed

Chei! My friend where did you read that?   shocked
Chineke me!  shocked shocked

Look, all you need to do is discover the truth. Ndigbo are a very perceptive people. You don't even need to say anything. Just show, through actions, that you are for real. Most Yoruba here don't share in your remorse undecided undecided, though they may want a united south.  
All that Ndigbo need in Nigeria is JUSTICE. We can fend for ourselves. God will avenge for the innocent women and children starved to death in Biafra.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 2:45am On Nov 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

Chei! My friend where did you read that?   shocked
Chineke me!  shocked shocked

Look, all you need to do is discover the truth. Ndigbo are a very perceptive people. You don't even need to say anything. Just show, through actions, that you are for real. Most Yoruba here don't share in your remorse undecided undecided, though they may want a united south.  
All that Ndigbo need in Nigeria is JUSTICE. We can fend for ourselves. God will avenge for the innocent women and children starved to death in Biafra.

apart from books, my parents told me that that is what happened. they were alive during the war undecided and lived in lagos

justice CAN only be done with a united south. if not, its impossible to get justice in nigeria
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 2:51am On Nov 03, 2010
jason12345:

apart from books, my parents told me that that is what happened. they were alive during the war undecided and lived in lagos

justice CAN only be done with a united south. if not, its impossible to get justice in nigeria

You mean your parents told you that Igbos attacked Lagos?  shocked shocked
What type of parents would lie so brazenly to innocent kids?

Igbo parents never lie to their kids about the war. They tell us the truth because we need to know to survive in Nigeria. Moreover, some of Igbo commentators here bear the scar of the pogrom and civil war proper. My father was one of those survivors and a Biafran soldier. He never lies to me about what happened in Biafra. There is NO NEED to lie about it.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by vicenzo(m): 2:59am On Nov 03, 2010
yes i heard they returned the property in the west and north and but the betrayal of the rest of igbo nation by their ikwerre broders made sure we lost our property in port harcourt but awolowo's 20 pounds policy was the knockout blow.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 2:59am On Nov 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

You mean your parents told you that Igbos attacked Lagos?  shocked shocked

Igbo parents never lie to their kids about the war. They tell us the truth because we need to know to survive in Nigeria. Moreover, some of Igbo commentators here bear the scar of the pogrom and civil war proper. My father was one of those survivors and a Biafran soldier. He never lies to me about what happened in Biafra. There is NO NEED to lie about it.

MY PARENTS WOULD NEVER LIE angry. and i am not a kid. i know my parents. they would not lie to me for what reasons? so i can hate the igbos undecided. never. they even have igbo friends themselves and the igbo friends have confirmed the story. even my "core" igbo friend confirm the story. he even told me," he regrets the day ojukwu invade the mid-west since they were neutrals.

my friend is even going to teach me igbo, they speak igbo in his house well. he wouldn't lie to me. cool
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 3:06am On Nov 03, 2010
vicenzo:

yes i heard they returned the property in the west and north and but the betrayal of the rest of igbo nation by their ikwerre broders made sure we lost our property in port harcourt but awolowo's 20 pounds policy was the knockout blow.

my brother, i feel for you cry.

i think the 20 pounds policy was to cover the cost of the nigerian government accumulated during the war. but, i was not there, and i did have not asked my parents this question.

my brother, yorubas cannot lay hand on igbos in the west and you now it. the igbos in the west feel safe. even during the civil war, my parents protected tried some igbo properties and tried to convince my igbo family friends to stay in SW but they left for biafra instead.

about the ikwerre, pls let it just go. i can never know how you feel but pls forgive them
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 4:00am On Nov 03, 2010
jason12345:

MY PARENTS WOULD NEVER LIE angry. and i am not a kid. i know my parents. they would not lie to me for what reasons? so i can hate the igbos undecided. never. they even have igbo friends themselves and the igbo friends have confirmed the story. even my "core" igbo friend confirm the story. he even told me," he regrets the day ojukwu invade the mid-west since they were neutrals.

my friend is even going to teach me igbo, they speak igbo in his house well. he wouldn't lie to me. cool

If they told you that Biafrans invaded LAGOS and KILLED YORUBAS, then, they ARE LYING.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 9:56am On Nov 03, 2010
i said they bombed lagos not invaded lagos
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by vicenzo(m): 10:42am On Nov 03, 2010
@jason. I dont understand what u mean by core igbo,that term was introduced and promoted by our enemies after the war and should not be used in the modern time,no part of igboland is core or peripheral irrepective of the geopolitical zone.Yes some igbo people were rejoicing after the death of tafawa belewa and co but didnt the north stage a counter coup that killed aguiyi ironsi,but what does the death of northern leaders has to do with the masaccre of innocent citizens, believe me if u were in the east then and saw how dead bodies were brought back in mass to their families ur wil be moved to tears and u wil find it dificult to love this geographical expression(nigeria) again,villages were set on cries of anguish,they trusted nigeria believed in one nigeria yet nigeria couldnt perform the first duty a country owns its citizen,which is safety of their live,the murder of these innocent citizens may have been triggered by the nzeogwu led coup but u cant deny the element of jealousy in it,by 1967 the igbo who are highly enterprising has set itself as an economic power in the country,this is similar to the jewish scenario,the economic recession of germany in 1920's and 1930's didnt affect the business minded jews like it did to the germans,it gave the jews the economic power in the country and jealousy sets in,thus common hatred for the prosperous jews became a unifying factor for the nazi, setting the stage for the pogrom on the jewish nation by hitler.It was obvious dat the hatred of the igbo because of her domination of the economy of then nigeria became a unifying factor for the rest of nigeria against her and the 20 pounds policy of awolowo was made to make ndiigbo economically irrelevant in the post war nigeria.It was a wicked and inhumane act and has no justification and men like awolowo are in the class of hi tler and it aches my heart each time i see the hundred naira note.of course germany has since addresed the jewish issue but nigeria hasnt addressed the biafra issue,of course ndiigbo just like the jews has regained the economic power back.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 11:16am On Nov 03, 2010
By brother, I am in a lecture.ill reply you around 1.30.- 2.30.thanks
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 2:37pm On Nov 03, 2010
vicenzo:

@jason. I dont understand what u mean by core igbo,that term was introduced and promoted by our enemies after the war and should not be used in the modern time,no part of igboland is core or peripheral irrepective of the geopolitical zone.Yes some igbo people were rejoicing after the death of tafawa belewa and co but didnt the north stage a counter coup that killed aguiyi ironsi,but what does the death of northern leaders has to do with the masaccre of innocent citizens, believe me if u were in the east then and saw how dead bodies were brought back in mass to their families your wil be moved to tears and u wil find it dificult to love this geographical expression(nigeria) again,villages were set on cries of anguish,they trusted nigeria believed in one nigeria yet nigeria couldnt perform the first duty a country owns its citizen,which is safety of their live,the murder of these innocent citizens may have been triggered by the nzeogwu led coup but u cant deny the element of jealousy in it,by 1967 the igbo who are highly enterprising has set itself as an economic power in the country,this is similar to the jewish scenario,the economic recession of germany in 1920's and 1930's didnt affect the business minded jews like it did to the germans,it gave the jews the economic power in the country and jealousy sets in,thus common hatred for the prosperous jews became a unifying factor for the nazi, setting the stage for the pogrom on the jewish nation by hitler.It was obvious dat the hatred of the igbo because of her domination of the economy of then nigeria became a unifying factor for the rest of nigeria against her and the 20 pounds policy of awolowo was made to make ndiigbo economically irrelevant in the post war nigeria.It was a wicked and inhumane act and has no justification and men like awolowo are in the class of hi tler and  it aches my heart each time  i see the hundred naira note.of course germany has since addresed the jewish issue but nigeria hasnt addressed the biafra issue,of course ndiigbo just like the jews has regained the economic power back.

the core igbo stuff was introduced by the igbos themselves. it was the through the igbos i even heard that not from an outsider.
if i was in the east, i would probably have been dead. it was a sad event that CANNOT repeat itself ever again. but my brother, i know you would be very difficult for you to accept nigeria but we have to move on. we cannot hold on to the past, if we do we cannot progress.

what happen to the igbos CANNOT in anyway be compared to what happen to the jews. you cannot put it as an element of jealousy. if it was then the igbos would have been wiped out of existence because in africa no one would hear your cry.

im sorry but you cannot compare awolowo to hitler, he gave the igbos back their properties and still gave them money yes even if it 20 pounds its something compared to what happens in other countries. as i said earlier, the money was that was given might have been to cancel the losses nigeria accumulated during an unneeded war.

my brother, i am again sorry for your all that yoou have been through. but its a war not a genocide thats why it was called the biafra war. and in wars terrible things happen.

i can assure you, that it would not happen again in nigeria whether in the north or the SW. and i am deeply sorry.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 03, 2010
I laugh when I hear pple describe the Yorubas as cowards and 'backstabbers'. I pray none of u ever witnesses a war, where u would be faced with a determined Yoruba race.
The truth is that the Yorubas are a wise lot and would never go into any battle they re not prepared to win unless brought to their front doors.
Don't get it wrong, am not making excuses for my race, but isn't it obvious that in ds time and age, the real coward is 'THAT MAN THAT REFUSES TO DIALOGUE' What is he afraid of?
I love Chinua Achebe, who wouldn't? But I do not agree with some of his 'postulations'. His generation destroyed this nation as a result of that inability to accept Nigeria as their father and mother land and also for their inability to dialogue, dialogue, re-dialogue and negotiate.
One of the lessons I learnt growing up is never to engage in fiscuff (and it has never been an option), I would rather dialogue, shout, dialogue, scream, then negotiate.
The sooner the Coup or civil generation dies and leave this country, the better for everyone.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by T9ksy(m): 4:09pm On Nov 03, 2010
Quote from: Onlytruth on Today at 02:51:46 AM
You mean your parents told you that Igbos attacked Lagos?     
Yes o, the igbos did attack Lagos. They flew planes that dropped bombs at Obalende, Ebutte-meta and other parts of lagos mainland. I might have been quite young then but i remember it all. I grew up in Lagos and lived in Fadeyi, along ikorodu rd during the war. l also recollect the civil defence programs my parents were forced to listen to, on what to do in the event of hearing sirens signalling enemies planes approaching the city. They usually turn off the lights and gather in makeshifts area of the streets, then.

Oh btw, didn't your parents tell you of the battle at Ore? Guess you never heard of the slogan "Ija Ore, oleku" that is, "the Battle at Ore was quite ferocious". It marked a turning point in the war as far as the yorubas were concerned, anyway.

And where do you think Biafran soldiers were going when they were stopped at Ore? KANO or kADUNA? Go ask those that resides in Ore then, how they fared on being told of the approaching igbo "seceeding-cum-liberation" troops.  

Quote from: Onlytruth on Today at 02:51:46 AM

Your kind of Parents!!!  shocked
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 4:32pm On Nov 03, 2010
@ vicenzo

my brother, if you notice. ojukwu did not invade north wards insisted he invaded west ward.

i think he was thinking yorubas are cowards as the e-warriors say everytime, and he invaded the west to try to conquer the yorubas. that must be the reason for the blockade.

even if you ask ojukwu today about the position of the yorubas at the early stages in the war, he would tell you they were neutrals until he invaded.

meanwhile, when he was invading the mid-west the biafrans soldiers would have killed and raped the mid-west people.

the gentleness and the liberal culture of the yorubas was taken for granted.

don't get me wrong, killing cannot be justified. but i think the death of millions of biafra was all because of ojukwu and his invasion. pls don't be sentimental, instead be honest with yourself ad tell me whether what ojukwu tried doing to the yorubas was right.

we yorubas like to keep our culture (yet we are liberal) and any invasion would be deemed as a treat to our existence and we would bite harder.

that why late last year to early the year when mend attacked lagos, they were warned to to ever try that again.

i am not saying anyone is superior but even you have to admit that it was partly ojukwu's fault for the death of people (yorubas, igbos, ijaws).

pls reply, i want to hear your response!
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 4:55pm On Nov 03, 2010
l̴͖̲̖̱͎͋́̀̏̀͂͜ơ̴̢̘͖͖̟͔̲͉̣̖̒͐̑̑̈́̀̓̆̑͒̏̈́̽̇͌͆̚͘r̴̢̛͕̞̠̼̥͇͙̥̥̗̼͎̰̻̗̩̹̬̰̜̰̪̜̯͈̓̇͆͜ę̴̧̦̩̞̫̬̫͓̫̟̣͖̝̤̩̱̻͌̆̈̅̊̇̈́̄͒͆͂̒̋͗̀́͐̚͜͜m̵̳̬͎̦̼̖͙̻̞̲̳͎͖̤̜͙̞̘̪̥͈̮̲̫̈́̂̑̓̅͌̉̃̄́̎̈́͛̔̃̈͒͛̆̉̉̍̍͌̅̒̿͘͝ͅͅ ̸̨̛̛̮̱͖͇̗͉͙̭͉͕͖̯̼͂̀̆̔̀̽̿̆͐͑͑̀̈́̈͂͒̽̅̒́̒̚͘̚̚̕͝ͅͅͅį̷̨͚̜͖̪̯̦̼̹̤͇̱͕̹̯̓̂̎͊̎͐͊͂̽̈́͊̅̈̏̋͗̀̾̎̂̀̚͝ͅp̵̡͖̱̮̹̫͖̱̺͖͚̙͇̘͈̥̭͎̅̃͗͒̒̐̀̽͑̕̕̕͜͜ş̵̧̛͚͎̘̹̻̩͉̩͕͕͍̲̼̳̲̬͖̟͊̒̽̊͛͂͒̍̇̾̅̀̑̽̆͌̈́͒̀̒́̒̏̚͝͠u̸̧̫̯͉̥̬̗͚̹͙̇̑̾͌̃͌̈́̉̀͛̍̂̄̃̑͝m̵̨̧̛̲̰̰̫̰̖̗̟͉̝͚̯̞̮̪̝͚̯͔̖̻͉͈̫̫̩̞͗̀̈́̅͆̽̆̎͐͂͆̐̾͊̆͝ ̵̛̛̯̮͍͎̜̖̥̫̱͕̥̻̖̮͈̖͎̯͊̒̉̔̔̓̀̍̆̈̊̈́̀͑̓̎̓̄̚͘͜͠͝n̵̟̜̗̩̬̯̫͇̝̙̖̟͋́̒̾̃͒͊̂̇̔͌̎͌̂͠ͅả̸̡͇̟͕̓̾͗̋̄͆̆̒͆̃͐͝i̵̢̧̧̮̞̺̻̝̬̤̲͉̟̟̺̙̣̣̭̘̱̰͇̦̍̌̀̒̎̒͋̊͐̇̿̌͛̓̓͑̆́̉͊͗̿́͘͜͝r̵̻̱̼̣̊̏͂͌̎͊̿̈͂̒͂́̐̔͂̅̅̀͘͝a̵̢͓͉̪̯̯͕̲͔̘͎͓͖̅̄͌̓̈́̒̾̇̀̈́̊̐̋͊̏̎͒̆̊̈̿̑̀͋̒̕̕͠ͅͅl̵̺̩̙̣͉̙͍̱͉͚͖̬̻̮͒̓̄́̀̋̈́͋̈̚͠ḁ̷̛̼̤͔̩̱̜̱̯̦̭̗͓̘͈͔̹̟̥̹̈́̇̔̄̂̀̔͂̏́̆͂̀̀̈́̑͐̇̓͒͊̕̕͝͝n̴̢̛̥͇͇̤̓̎̅̐͑̔͒̐͆͒̾͗̒̓̒́̓̾͗̒͜͝͝ḑ̴̧̨̝̞̦̯̯̠̺̭̭̗̭̱̯͉̹͔̪̦̉͂̋̽̿͑̃̽̐͐͋̌̏͌͑͗̀̎͜͠͠͝͠
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by T9ksy(m): 5:45pm On Nov 03, 2010
@ guddsid,

Yeah, Lagos might have been the capital (of nigeria) then but everyone knows that the affairs of state were been orchestrated from the north. In fact, it was rumoured that Gowon was already packing his stuffs ready to abandon the state for safety in the north.

Anyway, Ojukwu claimed that he was coming to "liberate" us (sic!) from the northern yoke. Not that i can recollect when anyone from yorubaland asked his seceeding army for liberation. Moreover, we already seen how Ojukwu's seceeding army "liberated" the Mid-west region. The western region then was occupied by northern troops who Awo had been pressing Gowon to remove as he described them as "occupation troops" and he Gowon kept on procrastinating. The yorubas were against the war yet Ojukwu still found a rationale to bring the war to our doorsteps just as he did to the mid-westerners , who too were against the war. In fact, Ojukwu had a bounty of David Ejoor's head- the military gov. of the region, then.

And btw, what do you think would have happened, had Ojukwu managed to ransack Lagos? Would Ojukwu and the igbos still seceed from the nation? Bearing in mind that, practically the whole of southern nigerian would have fallen under his command.

I postulate that ojukwu would have annexed the whole south into his Biafran Nation and the rest of us would probably be coming here on the net agitating for freedom from igbo's hegemony.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 8:24pm On Nov 03, 2010
guddsid:

@jason , during the time of the civil war Lagos was the capital of Nigeria . Everyone knows when the capital of a nation is seized / thrown into turmoil then a rebellion has reached its highest point and that's what Ojukwu wanted to do , its wasn't about him "invading the yorubas because he thought they were weak " it was about bringing the war to the most "sacred" part of the nation and that part was the capital of Nigeria , Lagos . Besides the yorubas didn't create a "resistance army" to stand against the Biafran army , Rather the Federal troops where the one's who fought . lets not forget that the federal troops are made of soldiers nationwide and in the Nigerian military you are not assigned to a region because you are an indigene of that region or state , so there's a possibility that the federal troops who fought against the biafran army where probably not yorubas or at least they comprised of yorubas not that they were totally yoruba's . I hope you understand .

no, i do not understand.

how can you say he brought the war to the "capital" of the country then , despite several warning from the "western regional leader".

lagos is like the "heart" of yoruba land and any war bought to that area would be deemed as a treat to the yoruba nation.

my brother, its like saying mend should bomb kano or kaduna and expect the northerners not to react or opc should bomb enugu and expect the igbos not to react.its not possible.

if ojukwu had conquered lagos, definitely, the whole southern nigeria would have been under his control and the yorubas would have been marginalised . you have to see that coming and you have to admit thats is what would have happened.

it might have not been the yoruba army but it was lead by yoruba generals (obj and adekule).
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 9:16pm On Nov 03, 2010
jason12345:

no, i do not understand.

how can you say he brought the war to the "capital" of the country then , despite several warning from the "western regional leader".

lagos is like the "heart" of yoruba land and any war bought to that area would be deemed as a treat to the yoruba nation.

my brother, its like saying mend should bomb kano or kaduna and expect the northerners not to react or opc should bomb enugu and expect the igbos not to react.its not possible.

if ojukwu had conquered lagos, definitely, the whole southern nigeria would have been under his control and the yorubas would have been marginalised . you have to see that coming and you have to admit thats is what would have happened.

it might have not been the yoruba army but it was lead by yoruba generals (obj and adekule).

My friend, you see why I told you that you need to step aside and allow the issue of Igbo/Yoruba to be.  undecided undecided

We (Yoruba and Igbo) have an irreconcilable difference over it. Biafran forces were marching to seize the capital and end the war (yes win the war!). If the war happened today, they would march to ABUJA not Lagos.

What annoys Ndigbo most, is when Yorubas say that we declared war on them. We DID NOT. If we did, the war would have turned out differently. You do not invade your "enemy" territory by putting the same "invading force" under the command of a son of the territory you plan to subdue and dominate. That is why none of the commanders of the Nigerian divisions invading Biafra was Igbo.

Banjo was commanding the Biafran expeditionary force (BEF). If we wanted to invade Yoruba land, we would have put that force under an Igbo or Ijaw or Ibibio son.

The more you guys make this argument, the more convinced we become  that you are not sincere in your hope for peace.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 9:28pm On Nov 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

My friend, you see why I told you that you need to step aside and allow the issue of Igbo/Yoruba to be.  undecided undecided

We (Yoruba and Igbo) have an irreconcilable difference over it. Biafran forces were marching to seize the capital and end the war (yes win the war!). If the war happened today, they would march to ABUJA not Lagos.

What annoys Ndigbo most, is when Yorubas say that we declared war on them. We DID NOT. If we did, the war would have turned out differently. You do not invade your "enemy" territory by putting the same "invading force" under the command of a son of the territory you plan to subdue and dominate. That is why none of the commanders of the Nigerian divisions invading Biafra was Igbo.

Banjo was commanding the Biafran expeditionary force (BEF). If we wanted to invade Yoruba land, we would have put that force under an Igbo or Ijaw or Ibibio son.

The more you guys make this argument, the more convinced we become  that you are not sincere in your hope for peace.

you are the one that is not embracing peace.

i am not asking you to agree with my version of events instead appreciate how the yorubas see things as we yorubas have appreciated how the igbos see things.

you cannot expect the yorubas to see things in a different way. i was an invasion whether you were going for the "capital" or not.

you have to repect the occupants of a land no matter what you are doing.

about the peace thing, if the yorubas and hausas do not want peace then igbos will not be able to survive in SW and the north without discrimination
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 11:05pm On Nov 03, 2010
l̴͖̲̖̱͎͋́̀̏̀͂͜ơ̴̢̘͖͖̟͔̲͉̣̖̒͐̑̑̈́̀̓̆̑͒̏̈́̽̇͌͆̚͘r̴̢̛͕̞̠̼̥͇͙̥̥̗̼͎̰̻̗̩̹̬̰̜̰̪̜̯͈̓̇͆͜ę̴̧̦̩̞̫̬̫͓̫̟̣͖̝̤̩̱̻͌̆̈̅̊̇̈́̄͒͆͂̒̋͗̀́͐̚͜͜m̵̳̬͎̦̼̖͙̻̞̲̳͎͖̤̜͙̞̘̪̥͈̮̲̫̈́̂̑̓̅͌̉̃̄́̎̈́͛̔̃̈͒͛̆̉̉̍̍͌̅̒̿͘͝ͅͅ ̸̨̛̛̮̱͖͇̗͉͙̭͉͕͖̯̼͂̀̆̔̀̽̿̆͐͑͑̀̈́̈͂͒̽̅̒́̒̚͘̚̚̕͝ͅͅͅį̷̨͚̜͖̪̯̦̼̹̤͇̱͕̹̯̓̂̎͊̎͐͊͂̽̈́͊̅̈̏̋͗̀̾̎̂̀̚͝ͅp̵̡͖̱̮̹̫͖̱̺͖͚̙͇̘͈̥̭͎̅̃͗͒̒̐̀̽͑̕̕̕͜͜ş̵̧̛͚͎̘̹̻̩͉̩͕͕͍̲̼̳̲̬͖̟͊̒̽̊͛͂͒̍̇̾̅̀̑̽̆͌̈́͒̀̒́̒̏̚͝͠u̸̧̫̯͉̥̬̗͚̹͙̇̑̾͌̃͌̈́̉̀͛̍̂̄̃̑͝m̵̨̧̛̲̰̰̫̰̖̗̟͉̝͚̯̞̮̪̝͚̯͔̖̻͉͈̫̫̩̞͗̀̈́̅͆̽̆̎͐͂͆̐̾͊̆͝ ̵̛̛̯̮͍͎̜̖̥̫̱͕̥̻̖̮͈̖͎̯͊̒̉̔̔̓̀̍̆̈̊̈́̀͑̓̎̓̄̚͘͜͠͝n̵̟̜̗̩̬̯̫͇̝̙̖̟͋́̒̾̃͒͊̂̇̔͌̎͌̂͠ͅả̸̡͇̟͕̓̾͗̋̄͆̆̒͆̃͐͝i̵̢̧̧̮̞̺̻̝̬̤̲͉̟̟̺̙̣̣̭̘̱̰͇̦̍̌̀̒̎̒͋̊͐̇̿̌͛̓̓͑̆́̉͊͗̿́͘͜͝r̵̻̱̼̣̊̏͂͌̎͊̿̈͂̒͂́̐̔͂̅̅̀͘͝a̵̢͓͉̪̯̯͕̲͔̘͎͓͖̅̄͌̓̈́̒̾̇̀̈́̊̐̋͊̏̎͒̆̊̈̿̑̀͋̒̕̕͠ͅͅl̵̺̩̙̣͉̙͍̱͉͚͖̬̻̮͒̓̄́̀̋̈́͋̈̚͠ḁ̷̛̼̤͔̩̱̜̱̯̦̭̗͓̘͈͔̹̟̥̹̈́̇̔̄̂̀̔͂̏́̆͂̀̀̈́̑͐̇̓͒͊̕̕͝͝n̴̢̛̥͇͇̤̓̎̅̐͑̔͒̐͆͒̾͗̒̓̒́̓̾͗̒͜͝͝ḑ̴̧̨̝̞̦̯̯̠̺̭̭̗̭̱̯͉̹͔̪̦̉͂̋̽̿͑̃̽̐͐͋̌̏͌͑͗̀̎͜͠͠͝͠
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 12:19am On Nov 04, 2010
jason12345:

you are the one that is not embracing peace.

i am not asking you to agree with my version of events instead appreciate how the yorubas see things as we yorubas have appreciated how the igbos see things.

you cannot expect the yorubas to see things in a different way. i was an invasion whether you were going for the "capital" or not.

you have to repect the occupants of a land no matter what you are doing.

about the peace thing, if the yorubas and hausas do not want peace then igbos will not be able to survive in SW and the north without discrimination

Dude are you serious? shocked shocked

You think Ndigbo are staying in SW and North because of the benevolence of Yoruba and Hausa people? Ol boy you must be smoking a very strong ganja! shocked shocked

Since after the war, Ndigbo have migrated out of Igbo land to escape economic strangulation imposed by Awolowo and Gowon. I don't know how much you understand the mindset of war survivors. They are TOUGH. So Igbo are in south west because IGBO want to be there, not because Yoruba welcomed them. The same with the north which occasionally attack us, and which we have learned to repel. Today if you try anything against us, we will fight you right there in your land and wage a looooooooong war IN YOUR LAND. The same with north. So, I want you to understand that part clearly.
You come here pretending to want to mend fences when in fact you are the same TYPICAL south westerner.

Like I told you before, Ndigbo are not interested in your schemes. We don't need it. We have ALREADY recovered from the war and are already dominating some sectors of the Nigerian economy -your worst fear. Learn to live with it. cool

Like Ojukwu told Igbo men in Kano, we are now Nigerians, entitled to live in and DOMINATE ANY part of Nigeria -your worst fear again.

If anyone dares attack us, we will show him that 2010 is 40 years away from 1970.

You fought to bring us back into Nigeria. WE ARE BACK! grin grin grin

By the way if I were that your Igbo friend, I'd watch my back.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

2019: PDP Governor Plots With Buhari’s Men - Tribune / FG Begins Disbursement Of Tradermoni In Katsina / Junaid Mohammed: Nigeria Will Never Know Peace If Buhari, APC Remain In Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.