Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me - Politics (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me (25299 Views)

Gauck Advised Buhari To Use Illegal Means To Recover Looted Funds -PremiumTimes / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 12:26am On Nov 04, 2010
guddsid:

@jason what onlytruth is telling you is totally true . you are looking at the smaller picture , you need to look at the big picture ,  it wasn't a "tribal conquest" and neither did he "invade" yorubaland , it was deeper than tribal boundaries , its like saying america invaded iraq because they hate the iraqi people ? or like saying the allied forces invaded germany because they hate the germans ?? we can choose to see things from a more naive perspective or we can look deeper and broader and see things the right way  .  you are being naive on your assessment of the biafran "invasion"

so what is the broader picture? that awolowo and the rest of the country (north and ijaws) killed biafran out of jealousy undecided. pls explain to me the broader picture.

if it was about jealousy, don't you think the biafrans would have been wiped out what happened in rwanda was the definition of jealousy where a particular ethnic group was almost wiped out by the other.

i seriously doubt it was jealousy.  if it was, then the jealousy would still be practiced today and an igbo man would not be made a commissioner in Lagos. An igbo man would be discriminated against in SW and north and would not be allowed to have bussiness in sw and the north. infact, an igbo man would have not been in any position of power or authority!!!!!!!!

you cannot claim it was jealousy, you absolutely cannot claim that.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 12:32am On Nov 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

Dude are you serious? shocked shocked

You think Ndigbo are staying in SW and North because of the benevolence of Yoruba and Hausa people? Ol boy you must be smoking a very strong ganja! shocked shocked

Since after the war, Ndigbo have migrated out of Igbo land to escape economic strangulation imposed by Awolowo and Gowon. I don't know how much you understand the mindset of war survivors. They are TOUGH. So Igbo are in south west because IGBO want to be there, not because Yoruba welcomed them. The same with the north which occasionally attack us, and which we have learned to repel. Today if you try anything against us, we will fight you right there in your land and wage a looooooooong war IN YOUR LAND. The same with north. So, I want you to understand that part clearly.
You come here pretending to want to mend fences when in fact you are the same TYPICAL south westerner.

Like I told you before, Ndigbo are not interested in your schemes. We don't need it. We have ALREADY recovered from the war and are already dominating some sectors of the Nigerian economy -your worst fear. Learn to live with it. cool

Like Ojukwu told Igbo men in Kano, we are now Nigerians, entitled to live in and DOMINATE ANY part of Nigeria -your worst fear again.

If anyone dares attack us, we will show him that 2010 is 40 years away from 1970.

You fought to bring us back into Nigeria. WE ARE BACK! grin grin grin

By the way if I were that your Igbo friend, I'd watch my back.

grin grin grin grin. you have serious issues!!! grin

it is talks that make me happy. atleast, you know you are nigerians grin.

and i am not a pretender, i am only stating the obvious
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 12:36am On Nov 04, 2010
jason12345:

grin grin grin grin. you have serious issues!!! grin

it is talks that make me happy. atleast, you know you are nigerians grin.

and i am not a pretender, i am only stating the obvious

You used the word yourself.

Dude, I told you we don't care what you think about us. It is irrelevant. Our survival and ultimate vindication and victory over you is guaranteed. We are already doing it.  grin  grin

Your statement shows you are really afraid of a Biafra more. grin

Don't worry, that MAY never happen again. It all depends.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 12:43am On Nov 04, 2010
jason12345:

so what is the broader picture? that awolowo and the rest of the country (north and ijaws) killed biafran out of jealousy undecided. pls explain to me the broader picture.

if it was about jealousy, don't you think the biafrans would have been wiped out what happened in rwanda was the definition of jealousy where a particular ethnic group was almost wiped out by the other.

i seriously doubt it was jealousy.  if it was, then the jealousy would still be practiced today and an igbo man would not be made a commissioner in Lagos. An igbo man would be discriminated against in SW and north and would not be allowed to have bussiness in sw and the north. infact, an igbo man would have not been in any position of power or authority!!!!!!!!

you cannot claim it was jealousy, you absolutely cannot claim that.

The bolded shows how NAIVE you are. The war ended on a no victor no vanquished basis. Above all, we are now Nigerians, but we are still testing out that Nigerianness. If for a second we think that we are not wanted in ANY part of Nigeria, guess what? Deja vous all over again.
So, it is not out of benevolence that we are in your land. You have NO CHOICE. It is Nigerian territory.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by ezeagu(m): 12:45am On Nov 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

[size=15pt]So, it is not out of benevolence that we are in your land. You have NO CHOICE. It is Nigerian territory.  [/size]
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 12:47am On Nov 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

The bolded shows how NAIVE you are. The war ended on a no victor no vanquished basis. Above all, we are now Nigerians, but we are still testing out that Nigerianness. If for a second we think that we are not wanted in ANY part of Nigeria, guess what? Deja vous all over again.
So, it is not out of benevolence that we are in your land. You have NO CHOICE. It is Nigerian territory.  

no, i am not naive. any neutral person that reads that would not say i am naive.

dejavu   undecided, GOD FORBID IT!!!!!.

and yes it is your country, exercise your rights wink
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 12:47am On Nov 04, 2010
ezeagu:

Amen grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by ezeagu(m): 12:48am On Nov 04, 2010
I propose that Ijebu-Igbo should be changed to Ije-ndi-Igbo. Igbo-Ora should be Igbo-na-ndi-Ora. That way the names will be more traditionally Nigerian.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 12:50am On Nov 04, 2010
ezeagu:

I propose that Ijebu-Igbo should be changed to Ije-ndi-Igbo. Igbo-Ora should be Igbo-na-ndi-Ora. That way the names will be more traditionally Nigerian.
grin grin grin oh boy, stop am oooo!!! grin grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by ezeagu(m): 12:51am On Nov 04, 2010
jason12345:

grin grin grin oh boy, stop am oooo!!! grin grin grin

Okay, it's time for Biafra! angry
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 12:53am On Nov 04, 2010
ezeagu:

grin grin grin grin grin grin.

our brothers are going nowhere!!! they are in lagos to stay grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 12:53am On Nov 04, 2010
ezeagu:

I'm laughing. grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Dawgpound: 1:16am On Nov 04, 2010
*mchew* @ the fact that Biafra is always and only associated with the Igbo yet my father an Ogoni fought and paid the price for it. Have people forgotten about our own contributions? Anyway Nigeria was imposed on me as Ogoni while Biafra was a choice my family made to follow.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 1:53am On Nov 04, 2010
Dawgpound:

*mchew* @ the fact that Biafra is always and only associated with the Igbo yet my father an Ogoni fought and paid the price for it. Have people forgotten about our own contributions? Anyway Nigeria was imposed on me as Ogoni while Biafra was a choice my family made to follow.

Biafra was not an Igbo thing. You may hear Igbos talking about it more because others have not stepped forward to claim their pride of place in that history. Most simply denied any role, while some claimed that Igbos forced them. We know the truth though and will never forget. No Biafran will ever forget those who fought in her defense. We ALWAYS CHERISH their bravery and tenacity in the face of almost insurmountable opposition. History has since vindicated us.
Your father is a hero.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by EzeUche0(m): 2:02am On Nov 04, 2010
Dawgpound:

We need to hear more of this from other Eastern groups. My Ibibio side of the family also fought on behalf of Biafra. My mother lost 2 brothers in that war, while they were fighting in the area that is now called Cross River State.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by ezeagu(m): 2:32am On Nov 04, 2010
Dawgpound:

That's because an Igbo person will catch hell if they mention any other group in the recollection of Biafra. They don't even need to start mentioning any other ethnic group before some attention seekers start shouting the over used speeches, "don't call us oh", "you better keep Biafra within the 5 Igbo states only", "Ika are not part of Biafra!", etc, when the main coup leaders were __________, when the second in command of Biafra was _______ and when the person that actually came up with the name Biafra was an _________. I think many people inside of these groups are happy 'no one' (you know who no one is) knows they were part of Biafra or fought for it. . . . . . . .too bad a person from Abonnema, on leaving the east, would be called Igbo! (Well, from what I've 'heard', they'd probably be half right, but I'll leave that story to the hundreds of threads dedicated to it)
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by vicenzo(m): 4:23pm On Nov 04, 2010
It is funny how most southwesterners wil see no wrong in the actions of awolowo during and after the war, but wil rather see him as a hero but stil expect ndiigbo to form alliance with them,didnt abiola say he can do without ndiigbo.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by EzeUche0(m): 4:41pm On Nov 04, 2010
vicenzo:

It is funny how most southwesterners wil see no wrong in the actions of awolowo during and after the war, but wil rather see him as a hero but stil expect ndiigbo to form alliance with them,didnt abiola say he can do without ndiigbo.

And we all know what happened to both these individuals. Let them choke on their words.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by T9ksy(m): 5:29pm On Nov 04, 2010
Quote from: vicenzo on Today at 04:23:54 PM
It is funny how most southwesterners wil see no wrong in the actions of awolowo during and after the war, but wil rather see him as a hero but stil expect ndiigbo to form alliance with them,didnt abiola say he can do without ndiigbo

Quote from: vicenzo on Today at 04:41:15 PM
And we all know what happened to both these individuals. Let them choke on their words.

And who told you guys that we yorubas want to form alliance with you? And what for?
I laugh in Yoruba.

You take care of your region and we will, ours. we don't need you guys for anything as we are quite capable of taking care of our own affairs. Just as we told your pseudo-nationalist Zik during the carpet-crossing saga when he tried to become governor of Yorubaland and also later told your hero, Ojukwu who was coming to "liberate" us with his purportedly seceedung troops, so we are saying now. we do not need you guys. we are quite capable of managing our affairs. We yorubas are here to stay and we 'll not choke on anything!!!

Thanks but no thanks!!!
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 6:16pm On Nov 04, 2010
vicenzo:

my brother, i never said what he did was not wrong. all i am saying is ojukwu threatened the yorubas by the so called liberation act by trying to invade the yorubas. do you know that in in any invasion, the invading army commit all sought of atrocities in the disguise of invasion and people don't notice.

we were threatened and we needed to defend ourselves as your brother (rip) tried to defend his family.

its a war, terrible things are bound to happen. when ojukwu bombed the ""capital"" do you know how many lives that would have been lost undecided.

a war always has two sides to the story.

but all in all, i feel really sad and bad because of what happened to you!! but you guys don't even blame the northerners that invaded you instead you blame the yorubas that were defending themselves undecided.

about the abiola thing, he won the freest and fairest election in nigeria's history and it wouldn't have been possible without the igbos.

EzeUche0:

shut the eff up. you know nothing about nigeria!!! all you do is to sow discord among brethrens and sit in america waiting for war to happen.
do you know what war brings this is just one story out of possibly a million and all you can contribute is ""let them choke on their words"". undecided
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by chyz(m): 6:29pm On Nov 04, 2010
For the Igbo: There was nothing wrong with the Yorubas protecting their land from being invaded. Did you actually thing that Banjo wasn't going to betray the Biafra when they wanted to enter on his people's land? You would have done the same.

For the Yoruba: You cannot point fingers on the invasion of land. The Yorubas invaded Igboland first. Each divison consisted majority of it's indigenes so the yoruba divison came on Igbo soil when they entered the Midwest(The Igbo part).

For the Hausa: You are hypocrites, you were the first to go for secession from nigeria until the US and Britain told you about oil and promise your region power but when the Igbo called for secession you said nigeria is ONE and igbos do not have the right to leave.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 6:36pm On Nov 04, 2010
chyz:

For the Igbo: There was nothing wrong with the Yorubas protecting their land from being invaded. Did you actually thing that Banjo wasn't going to betray the Biafra when they wanted to enter on his people's land? You would have done the same.

For the Yoruba: You cannot point fingers on the invasion of land. The Yorubas invaded Igboland first. Each divison consisted majority of it's indigenes so the yoruba divison came on Igbo soil when they entered the Midwest(The Igbo part).

For the Hausa: You are hypocrites, you were the first to go for secession from nigeria until the US and Britain told you about oil and promise your region power but when the Igbo called for secession you said nigeria is ONE and igbos do not have the right to leave.

GOD bless you!!! for the first bolded point!!! if it was the yorubas that invaded their land, ojukwu would have done the same if not worse

@ second bolded

we did not invade. they came to ORE, where the yoruba land starts and we had to defend our territory.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by chyz(m): 6:53pm On Nov 04, 2010
jason12345:

GOD bless you!!! for the first bolded point!!! if it was the yorubas that invaded their land, ojukwu would have done the same if not worse

@ second bolded

we did not invade. they came to ORE, where the yoruba land starts and we had to defend our territory.

Jason, I dont know man. Your comment just made me question your claim of Itsekiri. You just said the Ore is where yoruba starts. Do you not see itsekiri as yoruba? you said we had to defend OUR territory. . .

I'm not sure the initial plan was to march to lagos to crush the headquarters otherwise i think Banjo wouldn't have agreed to fight for Biafra, he could have been made to do so against his will. However, it could have been the initial plan and Banjo could have been planning to sabotage it all along. All in all, his action is back stabbing but at the same time understandable because of his love for his people. Isn't that what Ojukwu was fighting for "the love of his people"?

The march on Ore was a reaction to their invasion of the midwest. You all stepped foot on our land first, both Igbo and Ijaw lands.That's fact so there shouldn't be any finger point when it comes to going on the other tribe's land. Remember Biafra didn't bring war to nigeria, nigeria brung war on Biafra.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 6:58pm On Nov 04, 2010
chyz:

Jason, I dont know man. Your comment just made me question your claim of Itsekiri. You just said the Ore is where yoruba starts. Do you not see itsekiri as yoruba? you said we had to defend OUR territory. . .

I'm not sure the initial plan was to march to lagos to crush the headquarters otherwise i think Banjo wouldn't have agreed to fight for Biafra, he could have been made to do so against his will. However, it could have been the initial plan and Banjo could have been planning to sabotage it all along. All in all, his action is back stabbing but at the same time understandable because of his love for his people. Isn't that what Ojukwu was fighting for "the love of his people"?

The march on Ore was a reaction to their invasion of the midwest. You all stepped foot on our land first, both Igbo and Ijaw lands.That's fact so there shouldn't be any finger point when it comes to going on the other tribe's land. Remember Biafra didn't bring war to nigeria, nigeria brung war on Biafra.

i firmly see itsekiris as a subgroup of yoruba and if there is any break up, itsekiris i think itsekiris would join yoruba (olu of warri). same goes for the efik and ibibio, they would join the igbos.

to be honest, you are right about no pointing of fingers. i'll let the topic go. smiley
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by bkbabe97y(m): 7:40pm On Nov 04, 2010
chyz:

Remember Biafra didn't bring war to nigeria, nigeria brung war on Biafra.

Sure! Nigeria seceded from Biafra, right?

Lying monkeys!
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 7:52pm On Nov 04, 2010
@ vicenzo

pls don't mind the e-warriors (whether yoruba or igbo). pls, i would love you to embrace nigeria. i know it would be difficult!!! but pls my brother!!! let any hatred go! pls, i really feel for you. how can i help?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by MShittu: 8:26pm On Nov 04, 2010
I want Igbos to spread around Nigeria and dominate economic sectors as they deem fit, as by doing so, Igbo people'll finally feel like a real part of the nation and the others'll see them as such, hopefully.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 8:28pm On Nov 04, 2010
MShittu:

I want Igbos to spread around Nigeria and dominate economic sectors as they deem fit, as by doing so, Igbo people'll finally feel like a real part of the nation and the others'll see them as such, hopefully.

amen
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by rethink: 8:40pm On Nov 04, 2010
I am not surprised at the stupidity of some of our assumed "Political" elite some are so myopic that they cant see their Noses. I have always thought that being a literary writer kills one part of your brain. It is becoming more like our southern Elite are so foolish that teaching them social science would be a waste of time.

Some of our fake leaders are so insignificant that they bring up comon class struggle as a proof to show that they know what is happening in the Nigerian soceity there by making themselves significant. just because you are a musician does not mean you know anything about the workings of the society and how to engineer social change. Soon they will soon interview Terry G. Mr Achebe and Wole should put a bandage on their heads.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by rethink: 8:53pm On Nov 04, 2010
@chyz jason and the other members of the He goat family

Dont stop, make sure you continue. I can see brilliant Ideas from your Arguements. I need advise , ,.,.,.,, There are some people that fought some time ago I want you to use your very high Intellect to solve the problem, ,.,,.,,. Ok I will explain , Some people were fighting and then took someones food can you help me solve the matter because the other one said the smell of the food was so sweet so he had to fight and take part of the food. Give me advise I need to solve this matter that happened 4 million years ago when Neandethal were living in caves. Some of their descendants want to fight over this matter with spears and stones.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by T9ksy(m): 11:30pm On Nov 04, 2010
Posted by:chyz
I'm not sure the initial plan was to march to lagos to crush the headquarters otherwise i think Banjo wouldn't have agreed to fight for Biafra, he could have been made to do so against his will. However, it could have been the initial plan and Banjo could have been planning to sabotage it all along.
Oh yes, it was! Ojukwu definately wanted to capture Lagos. Please read Ojukwu's letter to Banjo dated 22nd August, 1967. It was quite clear what fate Ojukwu had in mind for the yorubas after his initial success subjugating the Mid-west region. Our reverred obas would not have been able to f.a.r.t in their palace without taken permission from Ojukwu!!!! There was no way, we yorubas would have accepted such a deal from ojukwu. He undoubtedly aimed to subjugate us and annexed our land into his new Biafran nation.
http://www.dawodu.com/biafra1.htm

All in all, his action is back stabbing but at the same time understandable because of his love for his people. Isn't that what Ojukwu was fighting for "the love of his people"?

I thought Ojukwu was a brilliant student of History from the prestigious Oxford College in England? Oh well, it was a pity that he didn't bother to acquint himself with the history and culture of the yorubas before taking it upon himself to "liberate" us. In our culture, its only an "omo-ale"-a ba.st.ard that will bring in outsiders to wreck havoc on his father's house. It wasn't backstabbing on banjo's part but there is no way the yorubas will have taken to hthe im been made governor of western region after leading Igbos troops to destroy yorubaland. Remember, even the mid-west region had resistance fighters effectively opposing Ojukwu's imposed govt rule of their region.

Moreover, the story of Afonja who brought in fulanis to destroy old Oyo empire which eventually culminated in the loss of Ilorin to the Jihadists, is still very fresh in our minds. As such we weren't fooled by Ojukwu's TROJAN HORSE.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 12:59am On Nov 05, 2010
T9ksy:

Quote from: vicenzo on Today at 04:23:54 PM
Quote from: vicenzo on Today at 04:41:15 PM
And who told you guys that we yorubas want to form alliance with you? And what for?
I laugh in Yoruba.

You take care of your region and we will, ours. we don't need you guys for anything as we are quite capable of taking care of our own affairs. Just as we told your pseudo-nationalist Zik during the carpet-crossing saga when he tried to become governor of Yorubaland and also later told your hero, Ojukwu who was coming to "liberate" us with his purportedly seceedung troops, so we are saying now. we do not need you guys. we are quite capable of managing our affairs. We yorubas are here to stay and we 'll not choke on anything!!!

Thanks but no thanks!!!

My friend you are choking already! grin grin

By the way, you are NOT in control of at least Lagos , and we are only warming up.
I laugh when you babble without brains. We already OWN a HUGE CHUNK of Yoruba land, and we intend to keep it irrespective of your actions or OURS. Gerrit! cool

And yes we will still control the East. cool cool

We DON'T NEED your alliance 'cos it is WORTHLESS. Irrelevant. cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 / "I Own Properties In Dubai" - Abdullahi Dikko (Sahara Reporters) / Osinbajo, NASS Set For Showdown Over Vp's Refusal To Sign 4 Bills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.