Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere (10334 Views)

Court Orders Gov Lamido, 3 Others To Pay APC Candidate N30m In Damages / Court Orders Police To Pay N12m As Damages To Salesboy / Assault: Arogundade, Navy Lose Appeal In Miss Uzoma Okere Assault Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by sjeezy8: 11:50pm On Jan 27, 2010
good ruling

and the chick isnt poor her father was or is a General, with influence. Probably the reason why this situation didnt go away like so many others.

If she was poor i doubt the same outcome would have happend.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Fhemmmy: 11:51pm On Jan 27, 2010
sjeezy8:

good ruling

and the chick isnt poor her father was or is a General, with influence. Probably the reason why this situation didnt go away like so many others.

You could be right, but i see this as a good start for those that dont even have a voice.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by sjeezy8: 11:53pm On Jan 27, 2010
^^^ true
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by ayettymama(f): 11:58pm On Jan 27, 2010
@ dis guy there wasnt heavy traffic

no2 she was being stubborn

however she didnt deserve what they were doin to her

if she were in london

they will have mased her or tactifully brought her down

at least 4 officers will have sat on her whilst a 5th was cuffin!

what happened with the soilders was lack of training

they were strugglin with the woman so it looked like she was bein manhandled!!

not to say they shouldt have been fined

i mean the policemen that killed an innocent brazilian got a mere slap on the wrists
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Cotton(m): 12:02am On Jan 28, 2010
Thats some £5M and above bruv

I think it's more like <£0.5m
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Fhemmmy: 12:08am On Jan 28, 2010
ayettymama:

@ dis guy there wasnt heavy traffic

no2 she was being stubborn

however she didnt deserve what they were doin to her

if she were in london

they will have mased her or tactifully brought her down

at least 4 officers will have sat on her whilst a 5th was cuffin!

what happened with the soilders was lack of training

they were strugglin with the woman so it looked like she was bein manhandled!!

not to say they shouldt have been fined

i mean the policemen that killed an innocent brazilian got a mere slap on the wrists

Regardless, nothing warrants the treatment, so i think she deserves all the money she got.
Though, i am sure or at least would expect the defendant to appeal, but i wont be surprised if the judge will go and collect his/her own tithe later.
Cotton:

I think it's more like <£0.5m

We were talking about how much, she would have collected if the case was in the western world.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by sjeezy8: 12:19am On Jan 28, 2010
sjeezy8:

[s]good ruling

If she was poor i doubt the same outcome would have happend.[/s]

forget what i said
The babe was being stubborn and was doing so because she knew her daddy was a big guy in VI. Ive seen it happen before. I saw the video and you can tell she felt BIG or above the officers(probably due to her dad's status).

The naval officers should have immediately arrested her(if they could or called police on her) for holding traffic- instead of pulling her around tearing her blouse and exposing her unclothedness. that was just stupidity and babaric on their part.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by CarlosVent(m): 12:24am On Jan 28, 2010
Justice stil prevail in this country. well good to hear
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Skidoc(m): 12:30am On Jan 28, 2010
I saw the video and the think the babe was really humiliated. She was hit, manhandled and her top was pulled off infront of scores of people. She deserves every kobo of the N100 million naira.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Tudor6(f): 12:38am On Jan 28, 2010
And who is deceiving you guys that the money will EVER be paid?

This is Nigeria and Peoples pensions and salaries are still being owed.

If the govt refuses to pay, what will the court do, bludgeon them to death with a gavel?

Our country is a mess.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by buyemails(m): 12:41am On Jan 28, 2010
Whoa, thats a big amount , ??
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by rafcrown(m): 12:51am On Jan 28, 2010
VERY GOOD NEWS
JUSTICE AT LAST
GBA MI LETI KI N DI OLOWO -SLAP ME MAKE I BECOME RICH
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Gamine(f): 1:25am On Jan 28, 2010
Doesn't make much sense to me,
Happy they didn't go free though.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by mamagee3(f): 1:25am On Jan 28, 2010
Maybe the police should think twice next time before beating people up.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by spoilt(f): 1:46am On Jan 28, 2010
buyemails:

Whoa, thats a big amount , ??

She deserves every penny. Damn military stripping a defenceless woman and handcuffing her like a criminal.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by 0hsisi: 1:56am On Jan 28, 2010
sjeezy8:

good ruling

The most important thing is that a precedent has been set
Law works on precedents,citing past cases and  their outcome.
It has gone down in the books that the military assaulting civilians is punishable by a hefty fine
It is now up to the military to train their men aright or more suits will rightfully follow.
I am actually pained that those ratings (or whatever the low life naval boi boi are called,) are not going to serve any prison time
They should have been locked up.
I hope the are at least relieved of their duties.
let them start riding okada
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Vallo57(m): 2:04am On Jan 28, 2010
Mekuelele'

Wetin now? This tribalism BS never tire you?
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by aieromon(m): 2:16am On Jan 28, 2010
Nothing to celebrate until the lady confirms receipt of the money.
Till then,i remain pessimistic undecided
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by olugbon01(m): 3:40am On Jan 28, 2010
aieromon:

gbam!
i reserve my comment too till then
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by spoilt(f): 4:56am On Jan 28, 2010
aieromon:

That the case even made it to court is a miracle in itself in naija. Step one. progress.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by parislomo(f): 7:08am On Jan 28, 2010
waiting to read apology in the papers; waiting to read money paid/collected before I'd jump at judgment meted out!
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by NosaHenry(m): 7:32am On Jan 28, 2010
You can bet me on this, an appeal court will throw away this trash judgement. At the end of the day she might only get letter of apology.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by princekevo(m): 7:33am On Jan 28, 2010
It is becoming very sad the way our judiciary system are going now.The rich men buying freedom with millions in the name of punishment for crime. What happened to jail term for a navy officer who ordered his boys to committ such a barbaric act on an innocent civilian.
100million for the damages to Uzoma Okere, what is then punishment for such offence? Nothing.
For those who said 100million is enough to be beaten naked on the street of Lagos, i wonder if Nigerians have lost their conscience and integrity. How much can be paid to worth such a public humiliation?
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Remii(m): 7:45am On Jan 28, 2010
This a good case of "Gba mi leti ki ndolowo" more of this should happen often, especially with those soldiers that abuse drivers at will, the other day I say some drivers made to swim in muddy filthy, disgusted gutter waster just for not stopping in time to "roger".
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by segzicres(m): 8:21am On Jan 28, 2010
Thats one good thing this year.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by aganaboos1: 8:26am On Jan 28, 2010
Congrats Uzoma Okere.U deserve even N200m for damages.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Abeskey: 8:29am On Jan 28, 2010
This is a great judgement but not without one or two flaws.I agree that the lady should be compensated for the ordeal she went through in the hands of those uncultured naval officers but who bears the incidence of this judgement matters.I dont think this guys will learn any lesson if they do not bear the incidence of this punishement.If the compensation is paid from the tax payers money then I wonder what difference it makes,I think it will even encourage force men to beat up innocent citizens with the expectation that the government will pay.This can even become a new 419 source because an arranged beating can even be planned and staged to defraud the government.
I think this naval officers should pay for this compensation with all they have worked for until they are liquidated they govt can step in to pay the rest.I also think they should serve some other punishements like imprisonment.
The compensation is actually outrageous and it shows clearly how our currency is devalued.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by oluwabamis(m): 8:41am On Jan 28, 2010
Deep Soul, pls dont underrate what mopol can do, my advice is try not to cross their path, meanwhile that uzoma may not get 50% of the cash eventually, she must pay all legal charges, bank charges, settle court officials etc etc
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by desgiezd(m): 8:43am On Jan 28, 2010
This is really a refreshing news and I hope this puts a stop to arrogant behaviours of men of power who look at other Nigerians as if  they are creatures made of inferior materials!!
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Ziggyduben(m): 8:45am On Jan 28, 2010
OmO. Where dem dey? Make dem come beat me make I collect my share.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by rasputinn(m): 8:50am On Jan 28, 2010
Good judgement
I'm so looking forward to reading the letter of apology
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by kkkossy(m): 8:52am On Jan 28, 2010
Fg ar the ones causing dis whole anomaly,if d roads were wide enuf at least d naval convoy wud hv found its way tru. But seriously,i hate hearing loud siren behind me insunuating my car 2b clear 4 them evn wen der's no space 2 clear. She deserves dat N100m

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jonathan Got Me Tripping With His Facebook Comment / Borno Elders Warn Jonathan On Security Pact With Us / Jonathan Has No Credible Opposition For 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.