Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,360 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere (10336 Views)

Court Orders Gov Lamido, 3 Others To Pay APC Candidate N30m In Damages / Court Orders Police To Pay N12m As Damages To Salesboy / Assault: Arogundade, Navy Lose Appeal In Miss Uzoma Okere Assault Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by mastalee(m): 11:49am On Jan 28, 2010
Great Judge
Good Justice!
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by rethink: 12:05pm On Jan 28, 2010
@childchris

@post,
who is even sure that the girl will recieve the money? the girl in question must trade with caution as nigeria no get conscience. at the end of the day, the news will be the girl was murdered in cold blood the govt will set a committee of inquiry. those same actors that featured in the bola ige movie will be used again as the killers.
one thing is to give instruction and the other thing is to carry it out.
for the girl, i wish her luck. i wish someone will beat me up and then settle me with just n50m.

just take a good at your post. you are swiming in the sea of pessimism and you are trying to indoctrinate us here.

You said Nigeria no get conscience eh? perhaps you know just 1million nigerians and their names and how they behave. Do you live in there hearts to know their CONSCIENCE? YOU ARE PESSIMIST WITH GREAT BIAS FOR 200 MILLION NIGERIANS SUPPOSING YOU KNOW 5 MILLION NIGERIANS THAT ARE EVILL DO YOU JUDGE THE REMAINING 195 MILLION ARE YOU JUST IN YOUR HEART. YOU HAVE TRAINED YOUR HEART TO SEE EVIL AND THINK EVIL OF THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE. HOW DARK IS YOUR HEART

The Bola Ige issue has no bearing on this matter. Your lying machinery will not work here. We know that Bola refused security and the ease by which he was killed confirms this and the killer was an amatuer. The next thing you will insinuate is that Bola Ige was killed by OBJ for what Purpose? tell me?

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE PESSIMISTIC BUT TO INDOCTRINATE OTHERS WITH THIS IS EVIL.

TO EVERY RIGHT IS A RESPONSIBILITY

TO EAT YOU MUST WORK
TO SLEEP YOU MUST PROVIDE A SLEEPING PLACE
TO HAVE A EDUCATION YOU MUST GO TO SCHOOL

TO BE PESSIMISTIC YOU MUST ,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by martinosi: 12:06pm On Jan 28, 2010
mastalee:

Great Judge
Good Justice!

Whoa!i saw the video of the beating on youtube
and it also on one of those video share sites, but as the jist goes
the girls father was also a big-shot ie military guy or top
government official!! so people hold your breath!
and also for real - is she really going to receive
this money, this is naija?~~~? !!! and if she does where is it coming from?
the navy heck no!!!

This story is not over!!!
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 28, 2010
who
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by yuppydon(m): 12:35pm On Jan 28, 2010
that serves him right
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by frudokafor(m): 12:56pm On Jan 28, 2010
am ready to accept beating from mopol, army, navy, airforce, millitant and JTF for half the amount i dont mind the press interference too.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by ayettymama(f): 1:01pm On Jan 28, 2010
Wrex:

Can you hear yourself?
she wasn't really beaten - that means she was beaten afterall
she was stripped unclothed - that means she was harrassed.
Are nigerians meant to be harassed and beaten up by the police or navy?I wish you were the one that was beaten and stripped unclothed in public,then i will see what you would have said.Rubbish!!!

no nigerians are not meant to be beaten or harrased

but they are meant to respect the navy

she was being stubborn

short of gettin into a fist fight with officers

the real problem is lack of training

cos down here, minute amt of stubborness regardless of whose fault it is

will result in the person being pinned down like a goat

and painfully cuffed, even mased

and in the states definitely tasered!!

it was a suit, so im guessing the military is payin it

i.e ALL OF YOU MOFO'S!!!!
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by atilla(m): 1:12pm On Jan 28, 2010
Good for her civillians deserve it.
she better run before militants kidnap her father or mother oooo.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by DisGuy: 1:21pm On Jan 28, 2010
ayettymama:

she was being stubborn

ayettymama, were you there?
what do you mean she was being stubborn
you mean she just went to the navy officers and started fighting them?
In the UK there's absolutely no way, anybody will move their car for the navy (i dont even think they use siren)
People don't move their cars for police except they are going for an emergency call and have to move put their siren on, even with the siren on if there's no road there's no road simple! only criminals or drunk people causing public disorder are mazed
what's the point of moving for your car for one idiot going to his guest house?
Only the president/governor/ senate are allowed to use siren

the other time it was a pregnant lady taht was beaten black and blue by governor convoy,
about 4 people were shot dead in December by policemen at checkpoints in nigeria!! -thats just the number that made news o
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by ayettymama(f): 2:14pm On Jan 28, 2010
Dis Guy:

In the UK there's absolutely no way, anybody will move their car for the navy (i dont even think they use siren)
People don't move their cars for police except they are going for an emergency call and have to move put their siren on, even with the siren on if there's no road there's no road simple!
only criminals or drunk people causing public disorder are mazed

the other time it was a pregnant lady taht was beaten black and blue by governor convoy,
about 4 people were shot dead in December by policemen at checkpoints in nigeria!! -thats just the number that made news o

you have absolutely no idea!!

in this country you move you car (regardless of direction traffic of safety hazards) for the following

gov.t convoys, royal convoys, celebrity convoys, public transport buses, emergency services, footballers convoys, horses and carrieges the list is actually endless!!

its people like you that give the law enforcers an excuse to be aggresive

in what position is the woman to judge who she should give way to??

who died and made her legislator

we should respect our leadership, army is army, navy is navy and police is police!

you cant bring that attitude to this country, in fact people dont even try it

it against the law and incurs heavy penalties if u dont give way to the bus

imagine, common molue will pass u!!

abeg
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Wrex(m): 2:46pm On Jan 28, 2010
ayettymama:

she was being stubborn

What do you mean by saying she was stubborn?because she didn't give way for the convoy, you are not conversant with law and you will continue to be repressed and harrassed until you are wise enough to study and understand your rights.I hate unwise people
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Wrex(m): 2:46pm On Jan 28, 2010
ayettymama:

she was being stubborn

What do you mean by saying she was stubborn?because she didn't give way for the convoy, you are not conversant with the law and you will continue to be repressed and harrassed until you are wise enough to study and understand your rights.I hate unwise people
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Wrex(m): 2:49pm On Jan 28, 2010
Dis Guy:

People don't move their cars for police except they are going for an emergency call and have to move put their siren on, even with the siren on if there's no road there's no road simple! only criminals or drunk people causing public disorder are mazed

No mind ayettymama .She is just saying rubbish!!.She needs a job.She is unemployed!!!
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by ayettymama(f): 2:53pm On Jan 28, 2010
i wouldnt be oppresed or harrased if i co operate with law enforcers!

i had no clue the law in nigeria said you must argue and struggle with officers

here its not like that sha

nuff sed

whilst some people suffer at thier hands for no reason at all

the rude woman gets 100million

what a shame
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Wrex(m): 3:05pm On Jan 28, 2010
ayettymama:

i wouldnt be oppresed or harrased if i co operate with law enforcers!

i had no clue the law in nigeria said you must argue and struggle with officers

here its not like that sha

nuff sed

whilst some people suffer at thier hands for no reason at all

the rude woman gets 100million

what a shame
so you don't stay in nigeria?That shows you have absolutely no idea how the police and other military officers harrass innocent citizens here and you are still posting comments.this topic is not for you
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by vislabraye(m): 3:10pm On Jan 28, 2010
Congrats to her. The power of the press plus enough connection got her that reward. I hope other assaulted Nigerians could be treated that way,
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by jumie(f): 3:30pm On Jan 28, 2010
Am so happy about this! For once Justice has taken place!

Shame to the NAVY men who harrassed her!!!
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by GeorgeD1(m): 4:39pm On Jan 28, 2010
this is a big lesson not only to the navy but also to the rest armed forces including the police.
beat a woman civillian and be ready to cough out 100 million!  grin
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Rmc1(m): 5:17pm On Jan 28, 2010
Good judgment and a lesson for other brutal millitary men, attack an inocent civilian and pay for it. The judiciary seems to be the only arm of government in nigeria that makes sense.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by rhymz(m): 5:29pm On Jan 28, 2010
Rmc1:

Good judgment and a lesson for other brutal millitary men, attack an inocent civilian and pay for it. The judiciary seems to be the only arm of government in nigeria that makes sense.
U know I saw the clip of that assault on Ms Uzoma,it was horrible and she deserves it.However,I will like to add this,I think the lady pull'd this through because of the status of her dad,He is a retired army major.I can bet that if this had happened to the daughter of a commoner,the issue would ve died a natural death and given a decent burial.But thank God he met his match anyway.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Mekusxyz: 5:35pm On Jan 28, 2010
Unfortunately for you and I, the money will be paid by the Navy and by Arogunadade. I wonder the proportion that each party will pay. Arogundade would have been made to pay all (even if it means selling himself to do so), to teach him a lesson. Payment by the Navy implies payment by you and I because it is our tax money. Why should we reward stupidity (of Arogundade)?

================================================================================================================

Court orders Navy, Arogundade to pay N100m for assault
By Bertram Nwannekanma

A LAGOS High Court yesterday ordered Rear Admiral Harry Arogundade and the Nigerian Navy to pay N100 million damages to Uzoma Okere and Abdulahi Abdulazeez who were attacked by six naval ratings on November 3, 2008.

In a judgment which lasted several hours in respect of the suit filed by Okere and Abdulahi against Arogundade, the six naval ratings on his convoy and the Nigerian Navy, Justice Opeyemi Oke also described the defendants as a disgrace to the entire nation.

The judge, who granted the plaintiffs all the reliefs sought in the suit, further ordered the respondents to issue an unreserved apology to the applicants in major print and electronic media within one month of the judgment

In the judgment, the judge raised three issues for determination, namely: Whether or not the applicants (Okere and Abdulahi) have succeeded in establishing that their fundamental human rights were infringed upon by the respondents (Arogundade and others); If yes, whether the first respondent (Harry Arogundade) can be held responsible for the conduct of the naval ratings; and thirdly, whether or not the applicants are entitled to the reliefs being sought.

On the first issue, Justice Oke noted that the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria guaranteed certain rights which by their setting out in Section 4 makes them fundamental.

The judge stated further that these rights were real. In deciding the issue, the judge said in the face of conflicting averments, she had no option than to rely on the documented evidence of the incident, which was recorded on a compact disc.

The judge noted further that the video recordings of the incident revealed that the first applicant (Uzoma Okere) was seen being dragged on the road by two naval ratings attached to Arogundade to the point of striping her half unclothed.

The judge lambasted the respondents for filling their counter affidavits with lies. According to her, "the various submissions of the respondents in their counter affidavits were cooked up to the extent that they got burnt."

In resolving this issue in favour of the applicants, Justice Oke described the naval ratings as having disgraced their uniform, adding that they had no fear of God.

She condemned their actions in very strong terms and recommended that they should be subjected to a psychiatric test to confirm their mental state.

She said: "The ratings have disgraced the uniform they wear, they are a disgrace to the nation. The re-branding exercise should begin with them."

On the second issue, Justice Oke noted that there was no way the first respondent (Harry Arogundade) would claim ignorance of the actions of the ratings since they were all in a convoy.

She then held that Arogundade and the Nigerian Navy were vicariously liable for the actions of the ratings. The last issue was also resolved in favour of the applicants.

Tools
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by DisGuy: 5:52pm On Jan 28, 2010
She said: "The ratings have disgraced the uniform they wear, they are a disgrace to the nation. The re-branding exercise should begin with them."

where is madam Dora sef? she's been a bit quiet nowadays
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 28, 2010
Won't they appeal?
Na so dem dey give 100mill?
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 28, 2010
I like this smiley, She stood her ground, she knew her rights.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by ayettymama(f): 7:15pm On Jan 28, 2010
thats the reason she won

the defendants tried to perjure the courts
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by chosen6(f): 8:32pm On Jan 28, 2010
We all that pay our taxes to Lagos State govt shld also part in sharing the 100 milla
Cos Gov. Fashola used our tax money to fight for her case. I mean that Lagos State govt took care of all her legal expenses using tax payers money.

Wish Gov. Fash will also pay for others who have similar cases to fight.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jan 28, 2010
Chosen04
where have been all this while,did seun ban you?
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Lolladey(f): 9:16pm On Jan 28, 2010
good news, bysayo, kudos to u
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by GeorgeD1(m): 9:58pm On Jan 28, 2010
if only those naval ratings knew as they were kicking uzoma that they would be kicking away 100million, ha! they would have thought of more profitable ways to expend their useless energy!  grin
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by ssumpta(f): 10:06pm On Jan 28, 2010
Good. I hope they won't say its coz its a female judge.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Pifa: 10:25pm On Jan 28, 2010
There is a precedent for this type of judgment in an assault on a civilian by military personnel. From what family sources told me, during Gowon’s administration, the then governor of Rivers had his military hangers-around beat up a reporter in the state house. The reporter sued in court and was awarded what amounted to more than $10,000 at the time (based on 1:1 exchange rate). Adjusted for 5% annual inflation rate, $10k during Gowon’s administration may be the equivalent of $60k in today's buying power. Inflation in Nigeria may be more than 5%/yr, but 5% seems like a reasonable assumption.

I am not sure of the correct spelling, but I think the governor's name sounded something like was Dieter Spiff. He, too, was a naval officer.

------------
My memory is sketchy, but this was told to me last November. Some of you may have more accurate information.
Re: Judge Awards ₦100m Damages To Uzoma Okere by Pifa: 10:27pm On Jan 28, 2010
frudokafor:

am ready to accept beating from mopol, army, navy, airforce, millitant and JTF for half the amount i dont mind the press interference too.

What is "mopol"?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan: Nigeria's Embattled President (cnn Special) / Police To Declare Farouk Lawan Wanted / Improve Power Supply, Not Tariffs, Labour Union Tells Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.