Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,106 members, 7,814,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution (38934 Views)

BREAKING: OPC Announces New Leader, Oshibote Oodua / YOLICOM To Declare Oodua Republic, Rejects Restructuring / Northern Youths Order Igbo Out Of Region (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by jjjjj2017: 11:32am On Jul 01, 2017
oladeebo:

'omo eru k'eru a bi lala l'enu'!
am I address at you?
keep off here!
ok!
shove ya head to ur hairyass!
iranu
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedee1: 11:39am On Jul 01, 2017
inkon:
Channel that energy towards restructuring of Nigeria. Nobody is leaving this country. Nigeria is one and so shall it remain. Thank you
Dey there they deceive yourself. Nigeria will soon separate

4 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by oladeebo: 11:44am On Jul 01, 2017
jjjjj2017:

shove ya head to ur hairyass!
iranu
awon oleolole!
wa gbe'le Yoruba!
ta nia ni gomina ile owo yin tin fowosi takada!
beyin o ba jeranko!
iran ibo ti sasasaju yoruba ri!
Nibo leti gboo ninu itan!
iran ibo ni o wa sasaju ko ile Yoruba kuro lorile ede Nigeria, laye!
osi laafi taka aabuu!
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by oladeebo: 12:05pm On Jul 01, 2017
If you elites and polical jobbers can't respect your self and respect Nigeria constitution, can't you respect the Nigeria nation! why nation inside nation?
All you Elites were how many to the illiterates in Nigeria?
You share the national cake as you wish! who argue with you? you looted the coffer to zero and now you're calling to balkanise the Caracas left!
let me tell you, The nation have the mandate, gave it to who ever want, and owe anybody excuse!
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jul 01, 2017
Yorubas want to secede​ too? who wan come remain for Lugards "Naigeriya"?
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by DaFlash: 12:08pm On Jul 01, 2017
Please let not integrate Edo and delta into Great Oodua, I think making them satellite states which will have a very close relationship with Great Oodua is advised.
A very strong Diplomatic, economic and military pact. "An attack on this nations is an attack on Great Oodua"

4 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by oladeebo: 12:14pm On Jul 01, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:
Yorubas want to secede​ too? who wan come remain for Lugards "Naigeriya"?
Who is Yoruba you are talking about!
The stupidity is not celebrated in Yoruba land!
they were the shameless who promise Gej of 100% of Yoruba vote, but what happen then!
if some one tell you it's igbo that will lead Yoruba nation out of Nigeria, do you agree?
Never in life!
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Olu317(m): 12:19pm On Jul 01, 2017
HopeAtHand:

May God punish you a million times if you've ever commented on a Biafra, SS or SE thread when not invited. As if commenting there is your priority.
I say AMEEEN to your PRAYERS IF I EVER COMMENT NEGATIVELY AGAINST YOUR AGITATION FOR YOUR BIAFRA BUT AS A TRUE SON OF YORUBA LAND, AS I AM WITHOUT HAVING HATRED TOWARD YOUR AGITATIONS, THEN IT IS WELL WITH ME..
NOW REVERSE THE INSULT ON YOURSELF AS AN IPOB MEMBER

I infer that you PLACE SUCH CAUSE ON YOURSELF IF YOU ARE AS UPRIGHT AS I AM...... I am % bold and confident you as an IPOB can't do such in this LIFE OR NEXT LIFE..

DIFFERENCE IS CLEAR between you and I.... inferiority complex infested personified is WHO YOU ARE.

10 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by HopeAtHand: 12:28pm On Jul 01, 2017
Olu317:
I say AMEEEN to your PRAYERS IF I EVER COMMENT NEGATIVELY AGAINST YOUR AGITATION FOR YOUR BIAFRA BUT AS A TRUE SON OF YORUBA LAND, AS I AM WITHOUT HAVING HATRED TOWARD YOUR AGITATIONS, THEN IT IS WELL WITH ME..
NOW REVERSE THE INSULT ON YOURSELF AS AN IPOB MEMBER

I infer that you PLACE SUCH CAUSE ON YOURSELF IF YOU ARE AS UPRIGHT AS I AM...... I am % bold and confident you as an IPOB can't do such in this LIFE OR NEXT LIFE..

DIFFERENCE IS CLEAR between you and I.... inferiority complex infested personified is WHO YOU ARE.

I'm not an IPOB member, and I CAN comment on any thread I wish, either for or against.

You seem like someone who loves to pick a quarrel. You were prolly raised by women or women-livered men. Please shift.

4 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by walemoney007(m): 12:35pm On Jul 01, 2017
deedeedee1:

Baba face your biafra. Stop being two-faced
it's jebba part of Yoruba land?
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by walemoney007(m): 12:41pm On Jul 01, 2017
9jakool:

And who was the blind fool that demarcated the Yorubas in Kogi and Kwara to the North. What boundary exists other than the artificial boundary that exist between the SW and the Yorubas in NC. Why do many Yorubas of today act like those in Kwara and Kogi are some type of foreign race. Was that the way it has always been? The Oya overlooking Jebba marks the Northernmost frontier of Yoruba people at least in Nigeria hence the land North of that mark is known as Oke Oya where foreign traders came from.

Somehow one is going to include Ila Orangun, and the Igbominas in Omu Aran are not going to want to join. If Ekiti state is included, won't the Ekitis in Kwara join likewise the Ibolos. Are the Okun in Northern parts of Ekiti somehow more Yoruba than those in Kogi?
is jebba part of Yoruba land?
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Efewestern: 12:41pm On Jul 01, 2017
Olu317:
Let us not over drag this because Ishekiri is Yoruba offshoots. The reason people were not in tune with Yoruba tag at first is that, it was used to identify Odu'a descendants by the Malians traders , other traders of Arab descents and Berbers in the olden days. So, don't be too conservative to denying our other sibling in Ishekiri land access to Odua land. Beside, Ishekiri speaks 70.3% (Ijumu/Okun Yoruba), 71.5% (standard Yoruba), 72.0% (Ijesha), 74.0% ( Ekiti) of Yoruba language. Where do you place such people? You need to read their history, written by their people and you will understand ,where they identify with as far as Nigeria is concerned.

Believe me the itsekiris don't see themselves as Yoruba.. yes they speak similar language with you, bear similar names with you.. but hey that doesn't make them Yoruba. Itsekiri is itsekiri, Yoruba is Yoruba. and I think itsekiri are more connected with ondo (Ilaje) than those from Lagos.

Wow I love the comments here, glad you guys love and respect minorities, Good to know.

cc: onuwaje
frathermathy
Sanchez01
wirinet
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by seunmsg(m): 1:24pm On Jul 01, 2017
Obaluf0n:

Sir, I think I should define my context of what ties to Ile Ife means. For me, it means towns whose monarchy derive its legitimacy from Ife throne or towns whose throne was founded by an Ife person unconnected to Ife royal family. The former during coronation (originally) looks/ed to the Ooni for validation while the former does not but has a tie to a family compound in Ife.

1. Examples are the 8 original crowns in Yoruba land followed by towns like Ifewara, Ife Odan, Iwo to mention a few.

2. These are towns like Apomu, Iwo, Ejigbo, Ifon, Sagamu, 'Remo, Ijebu Ife, Awori and so on.

To answer your question, towns lacking these ties to Ife and are still Yoruba are Ikoyi (Osun & Lagos), Eko (Lagos island under Eleko), Ede, Osogbo, all towns in Oke Ogun, Ibadan, Ijebu, Egba, Ekiti, Ogbomoso, all Iresa towns and so on. These towns have no ties to Ile-Ife and they are either mostly off shoots/creations of other towns such as Ede being a military outpost of Oyo & in response Osogbo being a military outpost of Ijesa. Most of them have no original crowns or any coronation ceremony requiring inputs from Ife. Most have no ties to any family compound in Ile Ife -- apart from Maye an Ife man founding Ibadan who was killed by Oyo folks, Ibadan was usurped by diverse Oyo elements thereby blurring out any Ife connection.

I agree to your thoughts on the idea being sold than enforced sir.

I am from Okemesi Ekiti and we trace our roots and crown directly to ile-ife. Apart from okemesi, I know of lots of towns in Ekiti that also trace their roots directly to Ile Ife. Efon, Aramoko, Ijero, Otun etc are a few examples.

8 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by onuwaje(m): 1:44pm On Jul 01, 2017
Let me clear the air.

The Itsekiri is an hybrid tribe of many origins. Before the Benin party came
Some villages owe their origins to Ijebu, others Ilaje and awori.
That is why the language is more of yoruba and culturally Benin.

They also borrow some things from their neighbours too

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by YungMillionaire: 2:17pm On Jul 01, 2017
Fascinating original post and MOST of the comments so far.

I have been having some serious discussions with fellow Itshekiris over the past month or so. In the event of a Nigerian break-up what is our best option? Biafra is a no-no not only because we have no historical/cultural ties with Ibos but the way and manner Ibos have gone about with their latest Biafra saga has left a very bitter taste in the mouths of so many of our people. I will give you a basic example. Nnamdi Kanu spent countless hours on radio Biafra raining curses on Yorubas while at the same time inviting Itshekiris to join Biafra. Most Itshekiris, my family included, orignated from Ijebu in present day Lagos/Ogun State. Kanu, because of his lack of historical knowledge, failed to see that insulting Yorubas will not go done well with at least some Iteshekiris.

So these are the options we are left with:

1. A single Iteshekiri nation. 2. Part of a Niger-Delta Republic. 3. Part of a greater Oduduwa nation.

The truth is the vast majority of people of have conversed with prefer option 2. Option 1 is very romantic but the low population might pose a serious problem. Personally, I think its better we join hands with the Yorubas in an Oduduwa nation. However, to be honest, this position is a minority one among Itshekiris. Having said that, I agree that education of history is the problem plaguing many non-SouthWestern Yoruba groups in Nigeria. There are many Itshekiris who don't even know about our strong Yoruba connections. I am almost certain that if these people find out the true history of our origins MOST will decide to form stronger ties with the greater Yoruba nation.

11 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by FisifunKododada: 2:32pm On Jul 01, 2017
A Yoruba ONLY nation should be our goal. Its far easier this way. Why leave Nigeria and end up in a mini-Nigeria? Please (No offense but) let the Itshekiris forge their OWN path. As for the Yorubas in Akoko-Edo, if they are very sure of their Yoruba identity they should let their voice be heard. Nigeria is a big mistake. And believe you me, as population increases and global warming puts more and more pressure on food productivity, things are only gonna get worse. It is easy to see the impending doom and quite frankly the earlier each region find its own way forward the better.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by FisifunKododada: 2:34pm On Jul 01, 2017
YungMillionaire:

I have been having some serious discussions with fellow Itshekiris over the past month or so. In the event of a Nigerian break-up what is our best option? Biafra is a no-no not only because we have no historical/cultural ties with Ibos but the way and manner Ibos have gone about with their latest Biafra saga has left a very bitter taste in the mouths of so many of our people. I will give you a basic example. Nnamdi Kanu spent countless hours on radio Biafra raining curses on Yorubas while at the same time inviting Itshekiris to join Biafra. Most Itshekiris, my family included, orignated from Ijebu in present day Lagos/Ogun State. Kanu, because of his lack of historical knowledge, failed to see that insulting Yorubas will not go done well with at least some Itshekiris.

1. A single Itshekiri nation. 2. Part of a Niger-Delta Republic. 3. Part of a greater Oduduwa nation.

The truth is the vast majority of people of have conversed with prefer option 2. Option 1 is very romantic but the low population might pose a serious problem. Personally, I think its better we join hands with the Yorubas in an Oduduwa nation. However, to be honest, this position is a minority one among Itshekiris. Having said that, I agree that education of history is the problem plaguing many non-SouthWestern Yoruba groups in Nigeria. There are many Itshekiris who don't even know about our strong Yoruba connections. I am almost certain that if these people find out the true history of our origins MOST will decide to form stronger ties with the greater Yoruba nation.

Interesting write-up YungMill. So could you address these concerns of mine:

1. Why is it that most Itshekiris are not aware of their Yoruba roots?

2. And why do you (in person) prefer the Itshekiris to join a greater Yoruba nation.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by walemoney007(m): 2:43pm On Jul 01, 2017
YungMillionaire:

I have been having some serious discussions with fellow Itshekiris over the past month or so. In the event of a Nigerian break-up what is our best option? Biafra is a no-no not only because we have no historical/cultural ties with Ibos but the way and manner Ibos have gone about with their latest Biafra saga has left a very bitter taste in the mouths of so many of our people. I will give you a basic example. Nnamdi Kanu spent countless hours on radio Biafra raining curses on Yorubas while at the same time inviting Itshekiris to join Biafra. Most Itshekiris, my family included, orignated from Ijebu in present day Lagos/Ogun State. Kanu, because of his lack of historical knowledge, failed to see that insulting Yorubas will not go done well with at least some Iteshekiris.

1. A single Iteshekiri nation. 2. Part of a Niger-Delta Republic. 3. Part of a greater Oduduwa nation.

the best bet is for the itsekiri to form a country with isoko and urobo,the country should be run the way UAE is run
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by YungMillionaire: 2:49pm On Jul 01, 2017
FisifunKododada:

Interesting write-up YungMill. So could you address these concerns of mine:

1. Why is it that most Itshekiris are not aware of their Yoruba roots?

2. And why do you (in person) prefer the Itshekiris to join a greater Yoruba nation.

FK - its quite straight forward:

1. There are two MAIN forces in Niger-Delta:- Ijaw and Bini. So, the incentive (political and otherwise) for non-Ijaw groups to associate with Yorubas is very small. So, the Bini link (which is very weak when compared to the Yoruba link) of the Itshekiris is emphasized more than the Yoruba link. This does not affect the Itshekiris alone. Also, the Olukunmis (another Yoruba group) of Anioma are also affected in similar manner. This does not only affect Yoruba groups because there are Ibo groups in Delta who are affected by the same forces.

2. Simple. Because I am a student of my people's history. I know that Yoruba blood runs deep within our veins. The Nigerian construct has made it difficult for ANY of the minority tribes to trust ANY of the majority tribes (Yoruba, Hausa and Ibo). As far as the Itshekiris are concerned the 'devil' (aka fellow Niger Delta tribes) they know is better than the 'angel' (aka Yorubas) they do not. Most Itshekiris live among Ijaws and Bini-groups and have very little knowledge of Yoruba people. Hence the reluctance.

8 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by YungMillionaire: 2:52pm On Jul 01, 2017
walemoney007:
the best bet is for the itsekiri to form a country with isoko and urobo,the country should be run the way UAE is run

Perhaps. We shall see.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by FisifunKododada: 2:55pm On Jul 01, 2017
YungMillionaire:

FK - its quite straight forward:

1. There are two MAIN forces in Niger-Delta:- Ijaw and Bini. So, the incentive (political and otherwise) for non-Ijaw groups to associate with Yorubas is very small. So, the Bini link (which is very weak when compared to the Yoruba link) of the Itshekiris is emphasized more than the Yoruba link. This does not affect the Itshekiris alone. Also, the Olukunmis (another Yoruba group) of Anioma are also affected in similar manner. This does not only affect Yoruba groups because there are Ibo groups in Delta who are affected by the same forces.

2. Simple. Because I am a student of my people's history. I know that Yoruba blood runs deep within our veins. The Nigerian construct has made it difficult for ANY of the minority tribes to trust ANY of the majority tribes (Yoruba, Hausa and Ibo). As far as the Itshekiris are concerned the 'devil' (aka fellow Niger Delta tribes) they know is better than the 'angel' (aka Yorubas) they do not. Most Itshekiris live among Ijaws and Bini-groups and have very little knowledge of Yoruba people. Hence the reluctance.

Thanks. Very illuminating. I have never thought of it in this way.

6 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 3:13pm On Jul 01, 2017
We don't need efulefu Yorubas in our Oduduwa Republic. We will be willing to cooperate with anyone who wants to cooperate with us. Not dissimilar to the way the US works together with Britain on international issues. We seek a YORUBA nation were Yoruba language and culture will be at the forefront. We don't want some minorities to start complaining that we are marginalizing them - like some Iboes are crying in Akure because we told them they must respect our way of life. Many Nigerian Yorubas are ignorant of the strength of our culture. Four years ago, I visited Bahia in Brazil. I attended a festival and when the people discovered I was a Yoruba from Nigeria, they were all over me. They were asking a million questions at a time/inviting me to their homes. They treated me like a cousin they have not seen in years. Come and see young/old Brazilians playing the talking drums; dancing; dropping Orisa names like Sango, Obatala etc.Some of those people are more Yoruba than some of the useless Yoruba Christians and Muslims we have in Nigeria.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by FisifunKododada: 3:21pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:
[b]We don't need efulefu Yorubas in our Oduduwa Republic. We will be willing to cooperate with anyone who wants to cooperate with us. Not dissimilar to the way the US works together with Britain on international issues. We seek a YORUBA nation were Yoruba language and culture will be at the forefront. We don't want some minorities to start complaining that we are marginalizing them - like some Iboes are crying in Akure because we told them they must respect our way of life. Many Nigerian Yorubas are ignorant of the strength of our culture. Four years ago, I visited Bahia in Brazil. I attended a festival and when the people discovered I was a Yoruba from Nigeria, they were all over me. They were asking a million questions at a time/inviting me to their homes. They treated me like a cousin they have not seen in years. Come and see young/old Brazilians playing the talking drums; dancing; dropping Orisa names like Sango, Obatala etc.Some of those people are more Yoruba than some of the useless Yoruba Christians and Muslims we have in Nigeria.[/b]

Akin (longest time). Which one be efulefu Yorubas again? grin
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 3:24pm On Jul 01, 2017
FisifunKododada:

Akin (longest time). Which one be efulefu Yorubas again? grin

Fisi, no need to mention names. They know themselves. I have been traveling for work. BZ like a modafvcker.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by FisifunKododada: 3:28pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Fisi, no need to mention names. They know themselves. I have been traveling for work. BZ like a modafvcker.

So do you think a Nigerian break up is imminent?
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 3:38pm On Jul 01, 2017
FisifunKododada:

So do you think a Nigerian break up is imminent?

Absolutely not. The greedy, visionLESS forces holding Nigeria together would rather burn the country to the ground than see a restructuring let alone a break-up. The last time I was in Abuja, I sat down with the thirty something year old son of one of the Northern political billionaires (you know the people who make their money by literally diverting government funds allocated for human/infrastructural development). Anyway, this guy basically said that Nigerian politics is their family business to be passed done from generation to generation. Nigeria is big business. The people who are making a killing are not gonna wake up one morning and hand it over. Not happening. At least not anytime soon.

5 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by 9jakool: 3:39pm On Jul 01, 2017
walemoney007:
is jebba part of Yoruba land?
Have you been to Jebba before? Anyways, Jebba is a Yoruba town ruled by an oba. Jebba is split into two: the island of Jebba and Jebba(main town). Jebba (main town) is Yoruba and it falls in Kwara state. The of island of Jebba is a Nupe settlement and it's in Niger state just north of Jebba (main town).

5 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by maisauki: 3:42pm On Jul 01, 2017
Please forget that nonsense we are part and parcel of one nigeria
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by FisifunKododada: 3:44pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Absolutely not. The greedy, visionLESS forces holding Nigeria together would rather burn the country to the ground than see a restructuring let alone a break-up. The last time I was in Abuja, I sat down with the thirty something year old son of one of the Northern political billionaires (you know the people who make their money by literally diverting government funds allocated for human/infrastructural development). Anyway, this guy basically said that Nigerian politics is their family business to be passed done from generation to generation. Nigeria is big business. The people who are making a killing are not gonna wake up one morning and hand it over. Not happening. At least not anytime soon.

Very depressing I must say. So what do you think is the way forward?
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jul 01, 2017
I read all the comments so far, but it is nice to disagree to to agree.
But let me look at it from another angle, when it's comes to pan oduduwa , states like lagos, osun, ogun, oyo, kwara, ekiti, ondo, kogi, edo, delta (ishekiri) all present.
for me our problem should be how we are gonna get oduans in Benin republic and Togo back us in one nation if possible

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedee1: 3:45pm On Jul 01, 2017
DaFlash:
Please let not integrate Edo and delta into Great Oodua, I think making them satellite states which will have a very close relationship with Great Oodua is advised.
A very strong Diplomatic, economic and military pact. "An attack on this nations is an attack on Great Oodua"
I disagree with you bro. An attack on edo and delta is an on them not us. They are their own business not ours.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (30) (Reply)

Between Peter Obi And A Nigerian Who Asked Him To Contest Presidency In 2023 / Doyin Okupe Mocks Buhari For Attending Thanksgiving Service In Lagos / Chinedum Orji: Orji Kalu, My Dad, Gov Ikpeazu And I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.