Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,529 members, 7,837,020 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution (39260 Views)

BREAKING: OPC Announces New Leader, Oshibote Oodua / YOLICOM To Declare Oodua Republic, Rejects Restructuring / Northern Youths Order Igbo Out Of Region (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 9:33pm On Jul 01, 2017
maisauki:

YOU'V NOT GOTTEN MY DRIFT ...OK let it go like this from all you'v known give me just one example of a county that separated without war JUST ONE and i wil giv you numerous examples of those that their situation isn't as tolatile as ours but still went to war before they finally got separated...

Trust me - I get your drift. But you still have not address my point about inevitability. What if the Balkanization of Nigeria is inevitable? Do we then fold our arms and refuse to prepare? Think about it. Sometimes, the forces that hold a country together no longer can. When the inevitable happens you must be ready to move forward. Part of that involves doing EVERYTHING you can to minimize the likelihood of war.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedee1: 9:37pm On Jul 01, 2017
Dalek:

if the south leaves (we don't have to be friends to do that tho) the north has no choice. dere can't be war, dey can't take on all the south at ones, they know dat. best dey can do is go dere own way. den we drag them to the table for trade talks.
This is what should happen. The northerners are not powerful like way people see them

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Sanchez01: 9:37pm On Jul 01, 2017
9jakool:

The bolded is a myth which is long regarded that the Itsekiri's culture is Bini and the only thing they share with Yorubas is language. While Itsekiri's culture does have plenty of Bini's influence, it would be incorrect to say that there is no element of proto-Yoruba cultural traits among the Itsekiris. For example there is a lot of similarities between the religion (ebora tsitse), social structure, naming of twins and ifa(ife). There are even Itsekiri communities that claim direct descendant to Yoruba subgroups. Many of these communities predate the arrival of Ginuwa.
The Itsekiri consider the Ilajes, a Yoruba subgroup to be the closest to them even more so than Edos. The umale festival for example is a spectacle only found among the Ilaje and Itsekiri.

I just want to highlight the facts. Anyways, Itsekiris have long claim their distinctness from Yorubas and reinforce their tie to Edos, so they would rather form a union with them I'm guessing.
You seem to be lumping culture and tradition into one giant, big ball. Traditionally, they share quite some practices with the Yorubas, as well as belief in gods, but culturally? Heck no.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Theleutenant: 9:38pm On Jul 01, 2017
OK the flatheaadss have arrived.

Cc:SGTsmith001,Agentsmith001,Anago5000 ,Egghrader101.the party is on this thread
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedee1: 9:41pm On Jul 01, 2017
^^Pls nobody should reply this one. When he gets tired, he will leave

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Theleutenant: 9:41pm On Jul 01, 2017
calling on my comrades
Cc:afonjaheadhunt,beberebe,pentlumpro,

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Theleutenant: 9:42pm On Jul 01, 2017
Cc:ruggedized1
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by YungMillionaire: 9:44pm On Jul 01, 2017
Please lets ignore the fool immediately above

AkinPhysicist:

Trust me - I get your drift. But you still have not address my point about inevitability. What if the Balkanization of Nigeria is inevitable? Do we then fold our arms and refuse to prepare? Think about it. Sometimes, the forces that hold a country together no longer can. When the inevitable happens you must be ready to move forward. Part of that involves doing EVERYTHING you can to minimize the likelihood of war.

This is one of the finest posts I have read concerning the current situation in the country. I used to have a discussion with one of the philosophers here about the law of inevitability. I do not know if Nigeria's disintegration is inevitable, however, if it is then shouldn't we all prepare for the aftermath? Akin please keep the gem coming. I don't grab my popcorn and bottle of stout

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Dalek(m): 9:44pm On Jul 01, 2017
One thing that has always bother me tho are:

1) Changing our currency: Do we change it immediately without notice like the Indian did to flush out hidden looted cash or just change it incrementally knowing other nations of the B.A.D(Biafra, Arewa, Delta) regions have the naira and can bring dem here to change to dollars.

2) is it possible we keep the name nigeria (Western Republic of Nigeria) cuz of bilateral reasons, i believe if we keep the name we can easily get allies from other nations.

3) what will happen to our previous political classes who damned us,dey will surely come back to try and rule.
solution: Military government, we arrest all past leader, create a public panel a la oputa panel. we strip dem of dere wealth and redistribute it.

yes I know thats a bit radical, but think of it can we really avoid the political corruption that plagued dis nation without a clean slate protocol. a Pro-yoruba military council can do that. we need iron hand in this country and we know it.

3 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Generalyemi(m): 9:47pm On Jul 01, 2017
AshiwajuFoward:

Mr. Flathea.d, nobody invited you here. Oya bounce.

OK Sir,,let me bounce b4 u mine my skull for rituals
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Dalek(m): 9:48pm On Jul 01, 2017
deedeedee1:

This is what should happen. The northerners are not powerful like way people see them

exactly dey may be many in the army, but dey don't have the resources to fund a war to keep nigeria together. its a big folly to try it.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 01, 2017
Igbos are really matured people..... Igbos have not invaded this Thread like ants behaving like lunatics on loose. Nice Thread my Yoruba people, deliberate on you struggle, wishes and hope, and make sure to push it to conclusive end. good luck guys.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedee1: 9:50pm On Jul 01, 2017
Why is it that non of our reps has talked about referendum? What are they really scared of? I will love to see one do that
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Agumbaa: 9:56pm On Jul 01, 2017
Sanchez01:

I wouldn't have said it better. Truth is, you would find thread as this with more intellectual contents than insults as opposed to the other people. The Itsekiris, though have their origin deeply rooted in the South West, do not share cultural similarities with the Yorubas. The guys here are intelligent, believe me.

But did u see how Biafrans cleared way for them to discuss their issues the way they like, start up an intelligent discuss on Biafra now, oduo minions will be spamming the thread like we owe them. Check out what Sarki and his friends do, they don't give us chance to even deliberate before them come with beer-fraud, nnamdi kanu scam cliches and all sorts of demoralizing mocking comments.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Agumbaa: 9:58pm On Jul 01, 2017
YungMillionaire:

O boi u no lie o! these guys are cool-headed but very sharp/bright. This is what NL should be.

Let reverse be the case, and just watch out how idiotic yoruba minions will derail the thread.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 10:00pm On Jul 01, 2017
The overriding principle must be: The smoothest possible transition. This is how, I think it should apply to the areas you have raised.

Dalek:
One thing that has always bother me tho are:
1) Changing our currency: Do we change it immediately without notice like the Indian did to flush out hidden looted cash or just change it incrementally knowing other nations of the B.A.D(Biafra, Arewa, Delta) regions have the naira and can bring dem here to change to dollars.
Currency is too sensitive an issue to be done immediately. A gradual phasing in of the new currency should be adopted. And you are right, this is best done in collaboration with our neighbors.

Dalek:

2) is it possible we keep the name nigeria (Western Republic of Nigeria) cuz of bilateral reasons, i believe if we keep the name we can easily get allies from other nations.
Name change can be done immediately (relatively speaking). After the constitution is written the name change should be able to go into full effect within a year or so.

Dalek:

3) what will happen to our previous political classes who damned us,dey will surely come back to try and rule.
solution: Military government, we arrest all past leader, create a public panel a la oputa panel. we strip dem of dere wealth and redistribute it.
This is not necessary. In fact could be counter-productive if not properly managed. Our focus should be the constitution. If it is well done and articulated, the structures would be in place to make sure that the old Nigerian mentality does not flourish in the new country.

Dalek:

yes I know thats a bit radical, but think of it can we really avoid the political corruption that plagued dis nation without a clean slate protocol. a Pro-yoruba military council can do that. we need iron hand in this country and we know it.
What is most important is a progressive vision and strong-willed men and women who are fully committed to carry it to fruition.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Theleutenant: 10:05pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:
The overriding principle must be: The smoothest possible transition. This is how, I think it should apply to the areas you have raised.

Currency is too sensitive an issue to be done immediately. A gradual phasing in of the new currency should be adopted. And you are right, this is best done in collaboration with our neighbors.

Name change can be done immediately (relatively speaking). After the constitution is written the name change should be able to go into full effect within a year or so.

This is not necessary. In fact could be counter-productive if not properly managed. Our focus should be the constitution. If it is well done and articulated, the structures would be in place to make sure that the old Nigerian mentality does not flourish in the new country.

What is most important is a progressive vision and strong-willed men and women who are fully committed to carry it to fruition.
. Mr Akin,when was the last time you visited ur sick mother? forget all this nonsense you are talking here because they don't mean anything. let's talk about ur family. they really need you now
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Outofsync(m): 10:05pm On Jul 01, 2017
I had to recheck whether it is the same NL I used to know. So much intellectualism on this thread that it's almost unbelievable.

Kudos to you people man!

However some corrections I feel should be made are :

• The post of an Aare is largely redundant and might lead to heating up the polity unneccesarily. The ever present tussle between the Alaafin and the Ooni bears Testament to this.
Instead the Ooni should merely just be recognized as the Offical spiritual Oba and ile ife as the cradle of the Yoruba Race.
Not only will it finally put to rest saucy claims by revisionists over the origin of the Yoruba Race (Some idiots believe we come from Mecca or Middle East. Others claim Nimrod is Oduduwa and other annoying theories); it will also aid massively in tourism. We are after all, a very well represented tribe all over the world, something we are seriously underutilizing.

The tussle over who is the superior Oba will surely continue but with this, I think it will be severely limited.

• I think ColonelDrake is too unneccesarily harsh with his descriptions of Yoruba Muslims. I would remind him that MKO Anjola and other Yoruba leaders have been Muslim. Calling them asslickers and other saucy words will merely be counterproductive. Refine your words sir!!!

• The issue of Itshekiri is more convoluted than you're seeing it actually. Most Itshekiri's are lukewarm about Yorubas because they really do not know much about our culturally shared similarities and vice versa. I got the shock of my life when I saw a friend of mine from waari speak Yoruba rather well. I bet many have no idea Yoruba is spoken as far as Ghana and Sierra Leone. However, as of now they are an independent group and I respect their wishes

• The need for promoting our culture cannot be overemphasized. Despite the shyte standard of some Yoruba Nollywood movies, they are still doing a lot in popularising our culture. But we need more.

The world is shifting from the major abrahamic religion and is becoming more interested in exploring other gods. Me thinks this is a ripe opportunity for us.

After all we have 401 deities, a full pantheon with countless diverse stories. I strongly believe it is time to popularize them.
Imagine Thor made millions of dollars while we have shango.

What is the difference between 300 and the Jalumi war??
We have so many stories waiting to be told man...

In any and all case, we are lucky to have retained our spirit of oneness despite so many tribulations and envy of detractors. I have heard of Yorubas who have housed fellow Yorubas in diaspora which they had no idea of whom they were before. Such unity warms the heart.

I remain loyal to the OoduA nation (or whatever you call it).

Oodua o gbe wa o..

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by beberebe: 10:07pm On Jul 01, 2017
Theleutenant:
calling on my comrades
Cc:afonjaheadhunt,beberebe,pentlumpro,
I Don land
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Agumbaa: 10:07pm On Jul 01, 2017
GreatSE:
Igbos are really matured people..... Igbos have not invaded this Thread like ants behaving like lunatics on loose. Nice Thread my Yoruba people, deliberate on you struggle, wishes and hope, and make sure to push it to conclusive end. good luck guys.

exactly my point, let the tables turn, the oduo minions wll flood our threads, saying all sorts of useless things. They will even magnify comments of anti-Biafra Igbos. Very annoying.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Agumbaa: 10:10pm On Jul 01, 2017
Theleutenant:
. Ikenwa Agumba,i see you my man

the weekend party is gonna happen here.am already enjoying myself. please tag others
Nwanne madu, biko lets show maturity lets leave their thread for them.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by 9jakool: 10:11pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

I tell you, I was greatly moved. It took a great deal of self-control to hold back tears. Their thirst for knowledge about the culture is deep and genuine. And they truly want to look up to us to help guide them in their journey.

Indeed. But make no mistakes. Our connection across the Atlantic will be repaired. It is only a matter of time. But first, there must be a cultural revolution within the core Yoruba enclave of SW Nigeria. And you shouldn't be surprised when I say that these Yorubas in South America, Carribean and West Indies are gonna play a major role in this revolution.

I can't wait for that cultural revolution. I agree that the work start from the Yorubas in Nigeria. They need to promote more culture: making Yoruba history mandatory in schools in Yorubaland, using Yoruba as a language of education, further development of the language including the various dialects, promoting traditional Yoruba arts and institutions, preservation natural grounds, preserving archaeological sites and allowing further archaeological exploration in Yorubaland.

I also believe in revitalizing many of the aspects that defined the old Western region. This include the revitalization of agriculture, especially the cocoa industry, bringing back the universal health care and universal primary education. I also believe in extensive development that will raise the standard of living for the people. I imagine cultural tourism in Yorubaland, where those from the Americas or those interested would come to explore and gain some knowledge about Yoruba culture, but that's a long way from now.

9 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (30) (Reply)

El-Rufai's Letter To Buhari About Shehu Sani (Photos) / 2019: Group Dumps Atiku For Buhari / Daughter Of Prince Iyen, Obaseki's Late SSA Calls On Her Dad's Pic On Poster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.