Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,522 members, 7,836,994 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution (39257 Views)

BREAKING: OPC Announces New Leader, Oshibote Oodua / YOLICOM To Declare Oodua Republic, Rejects Restructuring / Northern Youths Order Igbo Out Of Region (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedee1: 3:59pm On Jul 01, 2017
YungMillionaire:
Fascinating original post and MOST of the comments so far.

I have been having some serious discussions with fellow Itshekiris over the past month or so. In the event of a Nigerian break-up what is our best option? Biafra is a no-no not only because we have no historical/cultural ties with Ibos but the way and manner Ibos have gone about with their latest Biafra saga has left a very bitter taste in the mouths of so many of our people. I will give you a basic example. Nnamdi Kanu spent countless hours on radio Biafra raining curses on Yorubas while at the same time inviting Itshekiris to join Biafra. Most Itshekiris, my family included, orignated from Ijebu in present day Lagos/Ogun State. Kanu, because of his lack of historical knowledge, failed to see that insulting Yorubas will not go done well with at least some Iteshekiris.

So these are the options we are left with:

1. A single Iteshekiri nation. 2. Part of a Niger-Delta Republic. 3. Part of a greater Oduduwa nation.

The truth is the vast majority of people of have conversed with prefer option 2. Option 1 is very romantic but the low population might pose a serious problem. Personally, I think its better we join hands with the Yorubas in an Oduduwa nation. However, to be honest, this position is a minority one among Itshekiris. Having said that, I agree that education of history is the problem plaguing many non-SouthWestern Yoruba groups in Nigeria. There are many Itshekiris who don't even know about our strong Yoruba connections. I am almost certain that if these people find out the true history of our origins MOST will decide to form stronger ties with the greater Yoruba nation.
Bro, i think itshekiri will be better in niger-delta or edoid republic.
We dont want anybody to join us. I dont hate itshekiri people since some originate from yorubas, but many dont see themseleves as yorubas anymore. They have a different identity.
We dont want to hear cries of marginalization anymore. Afterall that is one of the reason why we left nigeria. We dont want another "Mini Nigeria" in the making.
You guys are better with your fellow minorities. You will have surely have peace and become prosperous

8 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 3:59pm On Jul 01, 2017
FisifunKododada:

Very depressing I must say. So what do you think is the way forward?

Make no mistakes. There is a way forward.We force the issue by encouraging and promoting secessionist forces across the country. Plain and simple. There are secessionist forces within the three major tribes. The secessionist forces in the North want a Sharia ONLY nation. Remember that Boko Haram's founder was a secessionist of this kind. The Northern elites (fearing that he was making serious inroads in the hearts and minds of many Northern Muslims) murdered him in his jail cell. His murder led to what we know today as Boko Haram - the insurgency. However, the idea of a SHARIA only country is still alive and well in the North. This people love Mohammed/Islam more than their own lives. Continuously feed them a vision of a country were ISLAM is ABSOLUTE and they will uproot the political elites eventually.

15 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedee1: 4:01pm On Jul 01, 2017
walemoney007:
the best bet is for the itsekiri to form a country with isoko and urobo,the country should be run the way UAE is run
You just nailed it. The edos can also join them since their culture are linked.

4 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedee1: 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:
We don't need efulefu Yorubas in our Oduduwa Republic. We will be willing to cooperate with anyone who wants to cooperate with us. Not dissimilar to the way the US works together with Britain on international issues. We seek a YORUBA nation were Yoruba language and culture will be at the forefront. We don't want some minorities to start complaining that we are marginalizing them - like some Iboes are crying in Akure because we told them they must respect our way of life. Many Nigerian Yorubas are ignorant of the strength of our culture. Four years ago, I visited Bahia in Brazil. I attended a festival and when the people discovered I was a Yoruba from Nigeria, they were all over me. They were asking a million questions at a time/inviting me to their homes. They treated me like a cousin they have not seen in years. Come and see young/old Brazilians playing the talking drums; dancing; dropping Orisa names like Sango, Obatala etc.Some of those people are more Yoruba than some of the useless Yoruba Christians and Muslims we have in Nigeria.
Useless Yoruba Christians and Muslims.

Lolz!!!

8 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by FisifunKododada: 4:07pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Make no mistakes. There is a way forward.We force the issue by encouraging and promoting secessionist forces across the country. Plain and simple. There are secessionist forces within the three major tribes. The secessionist forces in the North want a Sharia ONLY nation. Remember that Boko Haram's founder was a secessionist of this kind. The Northern elites (fearing that he was making serious inroads in the hearts and minds of many Northern Muslims) murdered him in his jail cell. His murder led to what we know today as Boko Haram - the insurgency. However, the idea of a SHARIA only country is still alive and well in the North. This people love Mohammed/Islam more than their own lives. Continuously feed them a vision of a country were ISLAM is ABSOLUTE and they will uproot the political elites eventually.

You know - I have always wondered why that guy was murdered like that. Now, I see how he was a serious threat to the 'family business of the Northern overnight billionaires.

9 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedee1: 4:08pm On Jul 01, 2017
maisauki:
Please forget that nonsense we are part and parcel of one nigeria
Baba Northerner, go and form your "one Nigeria" with your Northern brothers and sisters

11 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 4:12pm On Jul 01, 2017
FisifunKododada:

You know - I have always wondered why that guy was murdered like that. Now, I see how he was a serious threat to the 'family business of the Northern overnight billionaires.

They murdered him because he was a serious threat to their kwaraption business. Anyway, the issue has to be politically forced. The day secession enters the ballot will be the beginning of the end. The seeds are already there, we just need to nurture.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 4:14pm On Jul 01, 2017
deedeedee1:

Useless Yoruba Christians and Muslims.
Lolz!!!

Guy - you have no idea how irritating some (Not all) of those people can be. They love Jewish culture more than the Jews themselves. They love Arab culture more than the Arabs themselves.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by YungMillionaire: 4:17pm On Jul 01, 2017
deedeedee1:

Bro, i think itshekiri will be better in niger-delta or edoid republic.
We dont want anybody to join us. I dont hate itshekiri people since some originate from yorubas, but many dont see themseleves as yorubas anymore. They have a different identity.
We dont want to hear cries of marginalization anymore. Afterall that is one of the reason why we left nigeria. We dont want another "Mini Nigeria" in the making.
You guys are better with your fellow minorities. You will have surely have peace and become prosperous

The politics in the Niger-Delta is far more complicated than some of you think. But we will see what happens.

2 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Demmzy15(m): 4:17pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:
We don't need efulefu Yorubas in our Oduduwa Republic. We will be willing to cooperate with anyone who wants to cooperate with us. Not dissimilar to the way the US works together with Britain on international issues. We seek a YORUBA nation were Yoruba language and culture will be at the forefront. We don't want some minorities to start complaining that we are marginalizing them - like some Iboes are crying in Akure because we told them they must respect our way of life. Many Nigerian Yorubas are ignorant of the strength of our culture. Four years ago, I visited Bahia in Brazil. I attended a festival and when the people discovered I was a Yoruba from Nigeria, they were all over me. They were asking a million questions at a time/inviting me to their homes. They treated me like a cousin they have not seen in years. Come and see young/old Brazilians playing the talking drums; dancing; dropping Orisa names like Sango, Obatala etc.[s]Some of those people are more Yoruba than some of the useless Yoruba Christians and Muslims we have in Nigeria[/s].
That's not necessary, you've passed your message bro!

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by YungMillionaire: 4:22pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Akin how far? As always I trust you to focus on the core of issues. From Boko Haram to Boko Haram insurgency. Fascinating.

8 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 4:28pm On Jul 01, 2017
YungMillionaire:

Akin how far? As always I trust you to focus on the core of issues. From Boko Haram to Boko Haram insurgency. Fascinating.

YungMill - I dey kampe. How body? Unfortunately, Nigerians are poor historians. Even very recent history. Also, I will have you know that there would not be an Ipob IF MASSOB had not be unwilling to generously share the bribe (given by SE politicians) with Kanu.

8 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by YungMillionaire: 4:33pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

YungMill - I dey kampe. How body? Unfortunately, Nigerians are poor historians. Even very recent history. Also, I will have you know that there would not be an Ipob IF MASSOB had not be unwilling to generously share the bribe (given by SE politicians) with Kanu.

body dey joor. That Ipob-Massob thing is funny abeg grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Rilwayne001: 4:35pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Interesting^

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedee1: 4:36pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Guy - you have no idea how irritating some (Not all) of those people can be. They love Jewish culture more than the Jews themselves. They love Arab culture more than the Arabs themselves.
You are right. Some Yoruba christians guys will not want to marry a yoruba muslim girl but will rather marry an Igbo or south south, because they practise same faith. It does matter to them if they speak the same native language or practise same culture. Parents are not even helping. Especially these days.
It is really annoying i tell you.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 4:43pm On Jul 01, 2017
YungMillionaire:

body dey joor. That Ipob-Massob thing is funny abeg grin grin grin grin grin

The thing funny but na true o! Our people forget the basic law of consequence. If you see a tortoise on top a fence, definitely somebody MUST have put it there. Kanu was a struggling student in the UK trying to make ends meet. Then he discovered Biafran business but Fidelis Onwuzurike cornered all the SE politicking shush money. Kanu became enraged and decided to encroach on the market. Now, that Kanu is becoming a political threat to Obiano and Peter Obi (these are Kanu's sponsors - quote me anywhere) he will either have to look for other money bags and fizzle out like his senior 'brother' Fidelis.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by FisifunKododada: 4:49pm On Jul 01, 2017
Walahi I love the way Akin thinks and approaches issue. Very insightful. Very practical. Tinubu should encourage guys like this to enter politics.

7 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by maisauki: 4:55pm On Jul 01, 2017
deedeedee1:

Baba Northerner, go and form your "one Nigeria" with your Northern brothers and sisters
I'M A ROYAL BLOODED YORUBA GUY BUT JUS USED THAT MONIKER INTENTIONALLY...omo yoruba atata ni mi

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 01, 2017
seunmsg:

I am from Okemesi Ekiti and we trace our roots and crown directly to ile-ife. Apart from okemesi, I know of lots of towns in Ekiti that also trace their roots directly to Ile Ife. Efon, Aramoko, Ijero, Otun etc are a few examples.

Thank you buoda mi.
I was supposed to include Ekiti in the first list. It is one of the original sub-groups of what is now Yoruba.
That was a mix-up on my path. I will correct it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 5:01pm On Jul 01, 2017
deedeedee1:

You are right. Some Yoruba christians guys will not want to marry a yoruba muslim girl but will rather marry an Igbo or south south, because they practise same faith. It does matter to them if they speak the same native language or practise same culture. Parents are not even helping. Especially these days.
It is really annoying i tell you.

My guy you are absolutely right. For many Yorubas (especially the Christians) foreign religion has become far more important than culture. For them, discarding their cultural affiliation is a small price to pay for 'heaven' in the 'bosom' of the Palestinian, Jesus. In the event of a Nigerian break-up, the first order business for Oduduwa nation is a serious cultural re-orientation of our people.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by FisifunKododada: 5:09pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

My guy you are absolutely right. For many Yorubas (especially the Christians) foreign religion has become far more important than culture. For them, discarding their cultural affiliation is a small price to pay for 'heaven' in the 'bosom' of the Palestinian, Jesus. In the event of a Nigerian break-up, the first order business for Oduduwa nation is a serious cultural re-orientation of our people.

Some of our people have lost their minds to foreign religions. But I believe many will come around. The Ife line runs deep. Akin what's your opinion on the Yorubas in Akoko-Edo?

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 01, 2017
For Yoruba independent state to succeed and thrive.

Religion has to be properly discussed.

A nation where the Adeboyes, Mr. Winnders etc as well Arab followers in Iwo, Ilorin and Ibadan will pose a threat to our stability or provide a loophole for external forces to exploit will not work. Yoruba religion has to be allowed to thrive by giving it the recognition it requires. And if possible, law should be passed banning these Abrahamic religions from preaching anti-traditional religion sermons for we know this is what they thrive on -- an imaginary lifelong battle against traditionalists automatically presumed to be evil and Esu that has no bearing in Christianity/Islam. This is despite both religions having their own battles with Satan and Shaitan respectively.

Take away the usual preaching, fasting and prayers against Esu, Aje, Oso, Emere and watch most churches fizzle out. Na why Yoruba people no like Catholic church; they've automatically assumed the death of traditionalists and their deities is the solution to their problems grin

There's also the need to put Yoruba culture at the forefront of the state. The state does not have to retain residue of former British colony. It has a lot to put out to create an identity for Yoruba in Brazil, Cuba, USA and so on to latch on to.

There's also the question of the appointment and role of Oba. Me thinks law should be passed that any Oba that cannot and will not stick with socio-cultural demands (spirituality) attached to the office need not vie for the throne and any king having problems taking charge of cultural demands of the office will/can be removed. Being a king requires a lot of rituals to ascend the throne; a lot of rituals to remain on the throne and a lot of ritual the king will be subjected to when he dies. We do not need these Nigerian kings who get on the throne and morph into Christ evangelists or Uthman Fodio.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 5:20pm On Jul 01, 2017
FisifunKododada:

Some of our people have lost their minds to foreign religions. But I believe many will come around. The Ife line runs deep. Akin what's your opinion on the Yorubas in Akoko-Edo?

Our map goes up to North-Eastern Ondo. If the Yorubas in Akoko-Edo want to be counted then it is left for them to stand up - ki won gberra. The new Republic must comprise of people whose heart and minds are FULLY committed to the progress of the Yoruba people and culture. One of the major problems with this current contraption is a lack of full commitment due to major cultural differences - the Northerners think they are born to rule; the Ibos think they are superior Jews from Galilee; and we Yorubas think both of them are raging mad.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by FisifunKododada: 5:27pm On Jul 01, 2017
Obaluf0n:

A nation where the Adeboyes, Mr. Winnders etc as well Arab followers in Iwo, Ilorin and Ibadan will pose a threat to our stability or provide a loophole for external forces to exploit will not work. Yoruba religion has to be allowed to thrive by giving it recognition is requires. And if possible, law should be passed banning these Abrahamic religions from preaching anti-traditional religion sermons for we know this is what they thrive on -- an imaginary lifelong battle against traditionalists automatically presumed to be evil and Esu that has no bearing in Christianity/Islam. This is despite both religions having their own battles with Satan and Shaitan respectively.

Take away the usual preaching, fasting and prayers against Esu, Aje, Oso, Emere and watch most churches fizzle out. Na why Yoruba people no like Catholic church; they've automatically assumed the death of traditionalists and their deities is the solution to their problems grin

There's also the need to put Yoruba culture at the forefront of the state. The state does not have to retain residue of former British colony. It has a lot to put out to create an identity for Yoruba in Brazil, Cuba, USA and so on to latch on to.

There's also the question of the appointment and role of Oba. Me thinks law should be passed that any Oba that cannot and will not stick with socio-cultural demands (spirituality) attached to the office need not vie for the throne and any king having problems taking charge of cultural demands of the office will/can be removed. Being a king requires a lot of rituals to ascend the throne; a lot of rituals to remain on the throne and a lot of ritual the king will be subjected to when he dies. We do not need these Nigerian kings who get on the throne and morph into Christ evangelists or Uthman Fodio.

This is very good. CC Akinphysicist

4 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 5:34pm On Jul 01, 2017
FisifunKododada:

This is very good. CC Akinphysicist

The writer is absolutely spot on. Nigerians underestimate the extent to which these two foreign religion have devastated our traditional cultures. The Yorubas are still faring better - go to the North and see how entire cultures have gone completely extinct because of Islam. And I mean COMPLETELY.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by YungMillionaire: 5:43pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

The thing funny but na true o! Our people forget the basic law of consequence. If you see a tortoise on top a fence, definitely somebody MUST have put it there. Kanu was a struggling student in the UK trying to make ends meet. Then he discovered Biafran business but Fidelis Onwuzurike cornered all the SE politicking shush money. Kanu became enraged and decided to encroach on the market. Now, that Kanu is becoming a political threat to Obiano and Peter Obi (these are Kanu's sponsors - quote me anywhere) he will either have to look for other money bags and fizzle out like his senior 'brother' Fidelis.

I like the way you crystallized some of these recent history in light of what is happening today. You know I have ALWAYS suspected Peter Obi to be one of Kanu's sponsors. I know he is currently working with IBB to push for his candidacy in 2019.

2 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jul 01, 2017
FisifunKododada:
Walahi I love the way Akin thinks and approaches issue. Very insightful. Very practical. Tinubu should encourage guys like this to enter politics.
Guys like that are better as neutrals. The moment he enters politics, his allegiance will change and he will start singing a new song, change his tune perhaps. May our loyalty not be tested in Fashola's voice

6 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by 9jakool: 5:52pm On Jul 01, 2017
YungMillionaire:

FK - its quite straight forward:

1. There are two MAIN forces in Niger-Delta:- Ijaw and Bini. So, the incentive (political and otherwise) for non-Ijaw groups to associate with Yorubas is very small. So, the Bini link (which is very weak when compared to the Yoruba link) of the Itshekiris is emphasized more than the Yoruba link. This does not affect the Itshekiris alone. Also, the Olukunmis (another Yoruba group) of Anioma are also affected in similar manner. This does not only affect Yoruba groups because there are Ibo groups in Delta who are affected by the same forces.

2. Simple. Because I am a student of my people's history. I know that Yoruba blood runs deep within our veins. The Nigerian construct has made it difficult for ANY of the minority tribes to trust ANY of the majority tribes (Yoruba, Hausa and Ibo). As far as the Itshekiris are concerned the 'devil' (aka fellow Niger Delta tribes) they know is better than the 'angel' (aka Yorubas) they do not. Most Itshekiris live among Ijaws and Bini-groups and have very little knowledge of Yoruba people. Hence the reluctance.

I've seen many Itsekiri blurring or downplaying the Yoruba ancestry by saying that they are of mixed ancestry of Bini, Ijaw, Urhobo, and Portuguese, so the Yoruba ancestry is just one of the many ancestries they have. To me, they are just a Yoruboid stock of people who were absorbed by Bini.
I definitely agree that history education in Nigeria is lacking.

4 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 5:52pm On Jul 01, 2017
YungMillionaire:

I like the way you crystallized some of these recent history in light of what is happening today. You know I have ALWAYS suspected Peter Obi to be one of Kanu's sponsors. I know he is currently working with IBB to push for his candidacy in 2019.

Obi is using Kanu to position his presidential candidacy. However, Kanu is like the proverbial tiger - you might have fun riding it but its very likely you end up in its mouth. Rochas is definitely Babangida's choice for now. Everyone knows Buhari is close to expiration. The consequent political confusion will surely test Nigeria's fragile unity. This is when the secessionist voices would become even louder - we never see anything yet.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 01, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

You're wrong. "especially the Christians" This is very false. We know those who suck Buhari and Fulani balls on here and in the real world. And they're not Christians. we also know those who have been in the fore front of restructuring/regionalism.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jul 01, 2017
Obaluf0n:

A nation where the Adeboyes, Mr. Winnders etc as well Arab followers in Iwo, Ilorin and Ibadan will pose a threat to our stability or provide a loophole for external forces to exploit will not work. Yoruba religion has to be allowed to thrive by giving it recognition is requires. And if possible, law should be passed banning these Abrahamic religions from preaching anti-traditional religion sermons for we know this is what they thrive on -- an imaginary lifelong battle against traditionalists automatically presumed to be evil and Esu that has no bearing in Christianity/Islam. This is despite both religions having their own battles with Satan and Shaitan respectively.

I agree with you. The ooni of ife comes to mind. I don't know what da hell is wrong with that guy. Hangs committed a lot of sacrileges - making Pst Adeboye to sit on his stool, carrying offering baskets in church and his excessive romance and obsession with the church. This is someone who is supposed to be the custodian of the Yoruba traditions and you'll still some of our Christian brothers supporting that disgracing acts
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by AkinPhysicist: 6:03pm On Jul 01, 2017
ColonelDrake:

You're wrong. "especially the Christians" This is very false. We know those who suck Buhari and Fulani balls on here and in the real world. And they're not Christians. we also know those who have been in the fore front of restructuring/regionalism.

YOU are dead wrong. You are confusing CULTURE with POLITICS. Now answer me this (truthfully):

Which of the two religions promote the destruction of traditional shrines and cultural monuments the most?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (30) (Reply)

Appeal Court Slams ₦‎40m Fine On Lawsuit Seeking To Stop Tinubu Inauguration / FG Fulfils Promise Starts Paying Salary On 25th! / Campaign Posters Of Candidates For Rivers Re-run Elections (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.