Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,130 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola (47986 Views)

Togo, Niger, Benin Owe Nigeria ₦32.04 Billion For Electricity Supplied In 2019 / We Now Know Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Ghana / This Is Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic –Minster Of Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by CASTOSVILLA(m): 8:59pm On Jul 11, 2017
Ehiscotch:
How do you possibly generate electricity from stagnated water? Mr Alternative Physicist.
This is the most stupid comment I've seen on Nairaland. (((Please don't try quoting me cause I won't even bother reading it)))
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Ehiscotch(m): 9:00pm On Jul 11, 2017
CASTOSVILLA:
This is the most stupid comment I've seen on Nairaland. (((Please don't try quoting me cause I won't even bother reading it)))
LOL. You obviously don't know your physics.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by deomelo: 9:01pm On Jul 11, 2017
Lighthouseman:

no one has right to block even a stream that passes through. blocking it means you are denying people downstream of their source of livelihoods and it could be termed genocide.
imagine someone blocking your way to your office where u make ur livelihood... what would u result to.
It's called riparian rights ... Both the tributor and tributee have right to the water resources including electricity. imagine if nigeria blocked the niger from flowing into the Atlantic ocean what would happen to these countries? They would become rivers and not countries and if it burst... nigeria becomes a river too. It's a win win situation.

Abeg list the countries ...

What's going on here?

Is this comedy or they just don't teach geography in our schools.?

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by miqos02(m): 9:02pm On Jul 11, 2017
dacovajnr:
Na you get water wey u wan sanction them?
haba, werey on top this matter?
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by mapet: 9:03pm On Jul 11, 2017
Kelvin1971:
Fashola you no go die better your head l I'm like grinding stone idiot

Shame!

.....and I suppose you were born in 1971
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by mapet: 9:05pm On Jul 11, 2017
deomelo:

Mcreloaded: :

No wonder Nigerians are suffering. We have a very poor thinking government. A government that doesn't care for its people. Do you think if Aso rock depended on that current its giving out, it will continue to give it out? But because its Nigerians that need it right?

Hey listen if Benin or Niger should decide to dam their own part of the five to generate their own electricity then kainji dam will cease to exist as it won't have enough water to turn the turbines generation electricity yo Nigerians.
So in other words they are doing Nigeria a favour after all they are paying for the electricity though I expect our Nigerian government to re negotiate the MW they will sell to them so we can have more light time

How do you reconcile both highlights?

They are poor thinking and at the same time did the right thing to make sure our turbines doesn't cease to exist.

Are you confused or just talking from both sides of your mouth.?

abi he mixed up his drugs grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by iamord(m): 9:06pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
my assertion is not flawed, from my research i discovered that Nigeria sell power to three countries (Benin, Ghana, Togo.) and if you take into account the population of this three countries is close to 50 million people. can you boldly say that 50 million Nigerians have access to electricity. i still stand by my point, we should renegotiate.
rather your research is flawed, have you heard of the saying "you can't give what you don't have " now let that sink in. Nigeria does not supply ghana and Togo electricity .o bet you have not weight on the generating capacity of all the countries u mentioned

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:06pm On Jul 11, 2017
deomelo:

Abeg list the countries ...

What's going on here?

Is this comedy or they just don't teach geography in our schools.?

Bros as I read the thing ehn, remain small dem tie me rope, because I just dey laugh de shake head.

I even screenshot the damn thing for future generation.

I hope fainting is allowed

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by deomelo: 9:07pm On Jul 11, 2017
mapet:

abi he mixed up his drugs grin grin grin grin grin

Obviously all of the above. grin grin grin
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by barikay: 9:09pm On Jul 11, 2017
What a lame excuse
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Chukazu: 9:13pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:
Fashola we trusted you, now you are spewing this nonsense? Which dam? ehn? stop selling to them, when they overflow the dam, sanction them. sell something else not what you do not have in abundance.

But he is saying the truth... It has been the case for decades

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by siloXIX(m): 9:19pm On Jul 11, 2017
Nigeria should take a cue from Ghana, they don't depend on one source of electricity generation.

The population of Niger and Benin may grow warranting them to need more MW or better still building their own dams.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Okadalifestyle(m): 9:19pm On Jul 11, 2017
Oji river powered the whole southeast down to calabar in the 60s. What has happened to this country for God sake. Who did we wrong ? Can't this govt jus stop lies and grow us all togeda. Haba
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Intrepidone(m): 9:22pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:
Fashola we trusted you, now you are spewing this nonsense? Which dam? ehn? stop selling to them, when they overflow the dam, sanction them. sell something else not what you do not have in abundance.
If the countries dam the river we won't have enough water turbulence / force to generate electricity here in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 9:22pm On Jul 11, 2017
Lighthouseman:

no one has right to block even a stream that passes through. blocking it means you are denying people downstream of their source of livelihoods and it could be termed genocide.
imagine someone blocking your way to your office where u make ur livelihood... what would u result to.
It's called riparian rights ... Both the tributor and tributee have right to the water resources including electricity. imagine if nigeria blocked the niger from flowing into the Atlantic ocean what would happen to these countries? They would become rivers and not countries and if it burst... nigeria becomes a river too. It's a win win situation.
honestly otodos full this forum.
A mere Google search of water war between China India and Pakistan in disguise of building dam for meeting local water demand and hydroelectric project conflicting with Indus Water Treaty would have cure your ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by jiorhemen(m): 9:24pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:

The river that sustains Kainji Dam flows from those countries. If they dam it in order to build their own hydroelectric power plant, there will be a shortage in Kainji. So we need to keep selling to them in order to prevent them from saying that they want to build a dam to generate their own electricity

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by zachanalysis: 9:27pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
just look at your self, does your statement make sense to you? how can you sell what you need.
pardon my french but you are the ignorant one here. In diplomatic circle there is what is called mutual benefit. This is used when the fate of one state is tied to that of another and any attempt to subscribe to the alternative would only spell doom for the parties involve. Apart from electricity generation, Kainji is also the source of water for many farmers who depend on the irrigation channels along its stretch to safe their agro product especially during the choking heat in the northern part off Nigeria. Since this body of water is 'multilateral' by natural Providence, then it is only reasonable that the laws of give and take be embraced.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 9:28pm On Jul 11, 2017
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by juman(m): 9:31pm On Jul 11, 2017
Adek15:
exactly..
Oga ehiscotch, since kainji dam can't give us all what we need, any other alternative? Like osun river...

What of coal and gas? Do you think it's feasible?

APC government is unserious and senseless government.
There is no hope in sight of improved availability of light.

A new minister with new idea and more serious intent is needed.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Notatribalist(m): 9:34pm On Jul 11, 2017
Ehiscotch:

I should not be replying you because you obviously failed to read or understand or both.
The rivers from which water is flowing into our dam is situated in some of these countries and in order to prevent blockage and to keep the river flowing into our dams we need to sort of give them an incentive or some sort of compensation so we make them pay for the electricity just as you and I also pay.
so is it possible to block a flowing River?please don't call me names, I just want to learn.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by abashi47(m): 9:35pm On Jul 11, 2017
d real deal here shouldn't be abt weather giving them electricity is either right or wrong . it should b abt how to generate more electricity....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 11, 2017
That's probably why all electricity generated in Nigeria has to enter the national grid grin grin.... to supply Niger in exchange for their river grin

We know you guys are lying, but keep it up.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by vikstandon(m): 9:39pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
just look at your self, does your statement make sense to you? how can you sell what you need.

Once you all give to learning, Nigeria would be a better place, go through his statement again...It was a rational statement. From my days in Primary school I was told the reason why Nigeria sells to Niger and Benin Republic. It is even to our advantage, we are really disadvantaged if they dam for the purpose of generating their own hydrological energy...They are before us in the water course flow, doing that sure would breach flow, meaning the water wouldn't get to our own dam
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by abashi47(m): 9:41pm On Jul 11, 2017
can get adequate electricity through many energy sources like nuclear energy ,coal, gas ,petroleum,solar energy,wind, hydropower etc.

among these how many sources do Nigerians use?
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by TheMortician: 9:41pm On Jul 11, 2017
All these ignorant softheads here defending Nigeria giving electricity to insignificant countries like Niger and Benin should cover their heads in shame. What's a archaic kanji dam still doing in service when we know it can't even power all of Lagos sufficiently?

Countries are investing in nuclear generation of power like South Africa which was already producing above 40 thousands mega watt before embarking on building nuclear plants. Nigeria can only boast of 4 thousand mega watt and still selling electricity to her neighbours when she's already carrying ECOWAS services, logistics and dues of the region on her shoulders.

Niger republic's economic is dependent on the Cotonou border and the trade that goes on their. Can't Nigeria leverage on that?

Dumb move from dumb leaders!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:42pm On Jul 11, 2017
Notatribalist:
so is it possible to block a flowing River?please don't call me names, I just want to learn.

Not completely,
The equation which changes everything is if they build their own dams and distribute the water for irrigation purposes making the water at Kanji loose its ability to revolve the machinery for generating electricity

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by tomdon(m): 9:44pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:

Chief you need to first understand the original post before posting
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by munas: 9:46pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:

You are just too ignorant.

If they deceide to dam the niger,then your kianji and jebba dams will not have much water to power the turbine.
This practice is all over the world.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by munas: 9:49pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
well!from your explain it look like a stupid business or it shows that we are not good manager, i cant be giving someone 24 hour electricity and can't boost of five hours of light. we should go back to renegotiate with this countries we are selling electricity to. my opinion though.

How many are they and how many mega watts are we giving them?

You guys will just be ranting over what you practically know nothing about

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by multiplierk(m): 9:50pm On Jul 11, 2017
For USA For canada Gift cards Sale. 'iTunes gift cards, Amazon gift card, vanilla,Walmart...' Don't give your cards to rippers !!!
a trial will convince you. .
check my profile/signature for my contact. . .
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Truthisit: 9:52pm On Jul 11, 2017
Mr. Elsheriff, you don't know how things work in this sector. I am sure you are a customer care officer in a bank who has little or no knowledge of the geography of river Niger, it's tributaries and traverses. Google will enlighten you about this.
ElSherriff:

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by 2oby: 10:03pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:

Am sure u really dont have good knowledge of the subject matter.
Fasola is very correct. Our dams r sustained by the water pressure passing through this country. If they block this water for their dam, water pressure reaching us will b greatly reduced.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Treasury ‘virtually Empty’ Says Buhari. / Suicide Bomber Refuses To Detonate Her Explosive Out Of Mercy (PHOTOS) / Peoples' Gazette Suspends Ayoola Babalola Who Posted Peter Obi & Oyedepo Call

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.