Stats: 3,156,000 members, 7,828,527 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay (2409 Views)

Isnt He The Cutest Young NBA Player @ The Moment? / Guy Reveals His Shock Discovering He Had Twins Ex-gf Said She Had Aborted / What Does It Mean When A Guy Reveals His Backside To U (2) (3) (4)

Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by adconline(m): 7:43am On Feb 08, 2007
How Do U Say Gay In Your Language? This Naija Guy Is Gay

Former NBA player Amaechi to reveal he is gay

BRISTOL, CONNECTICUT (TICKER) --
Former NBA player John Amaechi will declare he is gay in his book to be released later this month.
Amaechi would be the first NBA player to publicly declare his homosexuality and join a very short list of males in professional team sports who have come out.
The book is entitled "Man in the Middle" and is published by ESPN Books. Amaechi's declaration in the book was reported Wednesday on ESPN.com, and he will appear on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Sunday at 9:30 a.m. EST.

Currently a TV personality in England, Amaechi helps fund the Amaechi Basketball Center in Manchester, which encourages children to become involved in sports and their communities.
"I don't think (Amaechi's declaration) will have any effect on his ability to do that," said Cyd Ziegler, the co-founder of Outsports.com, a web site dedicated to the gay influence in sports. "You will have some people who will raise an eyebrow."
Amaechi, 36, was born in Massachusetts and raised in England. The 6-10 forward-center played collegiately at Penn State before entering the NBA in 1995.
In five seasons with Cleveland, Orlando and Utah, Amaechi averaged 6.2 points and 2.6 rebounds before retiring in 2003. While with the Jazz, he accused the coaching staff of making anti-gay remarks about him.
Very few male team sports members have publicly declared their homosexuality. Among them are former NFL players Esera Tuaolo, Roy Simmons, Dave Kopay and Jerry Smith and former baseball players Glenn Burke and Billy Bean.
Kopay told Outsports.com in an interview that he had a sexual encounter with Smith while they were teammates with the Washington Redskins in the 1960s.
Ziegler said he has read an advance copy of Amaechi's book and spoken with him on the telephone. He gave some insight to Amaechi's upbringing in England, where he was raised by his mother and felt isolated because of his size and black race.
After the 1999-2000 season, Amaechi was offered a $17 million multi-year contract by the Los Angeles Lakers, who featured Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant and had just won the NBA title.
However, Amaechi elected to re-sign with the Orlando Magic at a much lower figure in order to maintain his commitment to some of the community programs he became involved with in central Florida.
"He's dedicated his life to philanthropy, " Ziegler said. "His real passion is helping kids."
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by Maneater1(f): 2:35pm On Feb 08, 2007
Good for him, he does'nt have to APOLOGISE FOR WHO HE IS. aND WITH ALL HE'S DONE FOR CHARITY, HE'S MORE OF A MAN THAN MANY POOR EXCUSES OUT THERE. smiley
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by ucantseeme: 3:13pm On Feb 08, 2007
I was shocked when i saw it, but i also think its a publicity stunt to sell his book, he has been out of NBA for some time now prolly abit broke
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by ima1(f): 10:18pm On Feb 08, 2007
Well watching all those hot NBA guys shower will turn any guy gay so i don't blame him lol atleast he knows who he really is now instead of hiding it all these while.
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by Stilettos(f): 12:35am On Feb 09, 2007
Good luck to him. Very brave man.
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by Free(f): 2:26am On Feb 09, 2007
what a shame
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by OmoEko1(f): 2:29am On Feb 09, 2007
@ the topic

Good for him at least he was man enough to admit his gay, unlike this down low ones
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by Free(f): 2:34am On Feb 09, 2007
nonsense
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by OmoEko1(f): 2:35am On Feb 09, 2007
@free
weting be nonsense grin grin grin
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by Free(f): 2:37am On Feb 09, 2007
wetin u said be nonsense grin
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by OmoEko1(f): 2:39am On Feb 09, 2007
@ free
it's not nonsense o, we can't change him for who he is but we can do is pray for him for God to enter is heart.
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by Free(f): 2:59am On Feb 09, 2007
das not what he is

is all in his mind

i jus pray he will turn around grin grin
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by OmoEko1(f): 5:15am On Feb 09, 2007
i hope so too, but i don't think it's possible, i feel like is to late for him to change sha.
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by ZuluNation(m): 5:18am On Feb 09, 2007
Ok we've all heard his Gay can we just move on now, if his gay that's his business. Are we Nigerian nosey or what.
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:22am On Feb 09, 2007
Am sure he is not the only NBA player.
Good that he has come out, now he can deal with his demons
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by ZuluNation(m): 5:25am On Feb 09, 2007
Hey jboy what's your deal with gayness you've been talking about it all day
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by OmoEko1(f): 5:29am On Feb 09, 2007
JosBoy4Lif:

Am sure he is not the only NBA player.
Good that he has come out, now he can deal with his demons
you right his not the only NBA player that happened to be gay that because most of them in the closet, and on the other hand you don't expect the gays in NBA to come out also only if they want their career to be over for them.
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:30am On Feb 09, 2007
True say, I don't think too many players would want that person posting up on them yknow wink
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by jgirl3: 5:58am On Feb 09, 2007
oh boy. here we go. Good luck to him though. May he be happy
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by desiree(f): 2:36pm On Feb 09, 2007
Why did he wait this long to come out-- I bet his naija father where ever he might be would be crying in silence.

I cannot help feeling sorry for him though, considering his background without a father figure, I've seen this case too often in the UK; boys that don't have any relation with black side, often raised by their white moms or foster parents/boy's boarding schools.
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by lewa(m): 3:18pm On Feb 09, 2007
Amaechi has/had a Nigerian pa!Not a Nigerian!
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:20pm On Feb 09, 2007
Ayah, so you people wont accept the guy is Igbo? Genetics are a wonderful thing grin grin
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by Uche2nna(m): 3:22pm On Feb 09, 2007
Sharap Josboy angry
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by desiree(f): 3:28pm On Feb 09, 2007
As far as I’m concerned, he is Nigerian, igbo to be precise. We are so quick in claiming NAS, SADE and chamillionaire as Nigerians. We cannot deny this one, he is naija grin grin
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by toptho(f): 3:30pm On Feb 09, 2007
desiree,lol.
Justin Fashanu committed suicide becos of this issue,it is much easier for pple to come out nowadays
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by desiree(f): 3:34pm On Feb 09, 2007
toptho:

desiree,lol.
Justin Fashanu committed suicide because of this issue,it is much easier for people to come out nowadays

True, it is better and more consequential to come out than to commit suicide. Justin’s case was just another sad example of absentee father and a black boy fostered by white folks.
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by lakers: 3:39pm On Feb 09, 2007
Atleast he was bold enough to say it. Its pretty hard to admit such when you are involved in major sport in US.
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by TerraCotta(m): 3:43pm On Feb 09, 2007
Amaechi's not the only one to come out of the closet recently--UK Nairalanders probably know this guy better than I do, but [url=http://music.guardian.co.uk/rock/story/0,,1984350,00.html]Kele Okereke of Bloc Party[/url] hinted that he's gay recently, as did Rev. Jide Macauley, who has a predominantly gay Nigerian church.

In all likelihood, most of us on Nairaland probably know a gay Naija at home or abroad, whether they're out about it or not. Homosexuality is not new to Nigeria (or Africa, for that matter before someone comes to say something about how it's 'foreign' to 'African culture'). Gay Naijas are all around us in churches, schools, friends etc.
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by JustGood(m): 3:52pm On Feb 09, 2007
you people always try to prove what is not real.

Amaechi, 36, was born in Massachusetts and raised in England. The 6-10 forward-center played collegiately at Penn State before entering the NBA in 1995.

Is that a proper 9JA guy?
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by desiree(f): 3:58pm On Feb 09, 2007
There is nothing like proper or improper Naija, as long as he has naija blood running in his veins then he is TOTALLY NIGERIAN

Kele was born in Nigeria, SO, what about that?
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by Stilettos(f): 7:43pm On Feb 09, 2007
ah lol see my people oh lol nobody wan accept the boy? ayah. he is Naija mehn lol . Na wah o! why our brothers let us down now? anyway God dey.
Re: Former NBA player John Amaechi( Naija Guy) reveals he is gay by JustGood(m): 11:43pm On Feb 09, 2007
this one no get 9ja mind and upbringing, na why e be gay tongue

I Want To Dump Her, She's Too Demanding / "i Have A Crush On Him But His Told Me He Want To Be A Priest" Wat Do I Do? / What Do You Love Most About The Opposite Gender?