Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,619 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. (35847 Views)

What Happens After We Die? Near-death-experiences & Reincarnation / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Scientist Discorvered There Is God After Researching (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 5:59pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

Catfishbilly quietly take several seats. Why are EEGS used on humans is it not to read brain activity? Doctors say that hallucinations occur only in the presence of brain activity which Eben Alexander did not have and it is a well established fact that during dreams or hallucinations brain activity or reactions are present and measurable with an EEG and Alexander had none.

Let's even push the alleged hallucinations aside for a minute. What would be your prognosis for someone in a coma and with no brain activity observed?

Would you say that person would wake up within days or would you say he may not wake up at all.

Even if he did somehow wake up would you say his brain functions would be intact and as sharp as it was before he had no brain activity after 7 days?

Would such a person wake up whole or wake up a vegetable?
EEGs are used cos they are noninvasive portable and accurate, but to increase the sensitivity especially in some cases of neurosurgery, Electrocorticogram is used.

And I've told you that he had his NDE as he was regaining cortical function which is obviously measurable in an EEG. Read the link I posted please. Everything is in there.

As for rate of recovery from a coma, several factors come into play including how long the person was in coma.
You can't compare the recovery rate of someone in coma for 7 days to someone in coma for 3 months.

At least, that your bullshit excerpt has been put to rest.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by felixomor: 6:10pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

I attacked his story, the one that isn't verifiable.
I never attacked his person.

The op attacked your competence also.
Not your person...
And thats not the first time your competence comes under attack

You see Thats how it works.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 6:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

EEGs are used cos they are noninvasive portable and accurate, but to increase the sensitivity especially in some cases of neurosurgery, Electrocorticogram is used.

And I've told you that he had his NDE as he was regaining cortical function which is obviously measurable in an EEG. Read the link I posted please. Everything is in there.

As for rate of recovery from a coma, several factors come into play including how long the person was in coma.
You can't compare the recovery rate of someone in coma for 7 days to someone in coma for 3 months.

Again I had to laugh out loud. cheesy cheesy

So an EEG is accurate ba? Yet this accurate EEG isn't credible when it comes to the case of Eben Alexander but it was credible when used to read the brain activity of other patients in coma or who also experience NDE while in coma (do you even see how ridiculous you sound and how you are making this up as you go along?)

Your last comment just proves your level of incompetence. Here is what someone more knowledgeable than you had to say.

In order to maintain consciousness, a person needs to have a perfectly functioning cerebral cortex and brainstem. Any significant impairment of cortical function—something as trivial as a few good whiffs of ether—can cause loss of consciousness. With further impairment of cortical and brainstem function, the person slips deeper and deeper into coma, a state where the person can't be awakened, fails to respond normally to painful stimuli and doesn't initiate voluntary actions.

The stages of coma can be charted with the Glasgow Coma Scale which assesses eye, verbal and motor responses. In addition, other neurological examinations, such as the pupillary light reflex, indicate the status of brainstem function. For example, if the pupils do not constrict on shining a light, this would indicate brainstem or similar impairment. (something Eben Alexander suffered from because his medical report cited the above).

Seizures of the sort exhibited by Eben Alexander, so called tonic-clonic seizures, are symptoms that present outwardly as wild thrashing movements. During the tonic phase the skeletal muscles will suddenly tense and the person may also express brief vocalizations like a loud moan or scream due to air forcefully expelled from the lungs. During the clonic phase, the person's muscles will start to contract and relax rapidly, causing convulsions. There may be exaggerated twitching of the limbs or violent shaking.

Alexander exhibited status epilepticus or persistent seizures.

The coma and seizures were brought on by the onslaught of the bacterial meningitis infection which spread very rapidly through his cerebral spinal fluid. The bacteria attacked the entire outer surface of his brain including the neocortex, hippocampus and other parts of the limbic system, and the brainstem. (That was what Alexander's medical report said)

This attack brought on Alexander's subjective experience of loss of memory, language and identity, and his loss of consciousness. The attack also induced wild neuronal fluctuations in his cortex and other regions which resulted in the persistent seizures.

Eben Alexander was in a meningitis-induced coma hours before the sedatives were administered. The sedatives were administered to control the seizures. Alexander remained in a meningitis-induced coma even after the sedating medications were stopped

Do you see how incompetent this report makes you?
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 6:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

So you did not see the question he asked Sam Harris ba? Okay make I show you.

To any skeptic who thinks he has explained my experience as brain-based, he then needs to address the non-local nature of consciousness ~ the broad clinical experience in transpersonal psychology (notably all of the past life clinical work, the reincarnation work from Ian Stevenson and Jim Tucker at UVA; also very relevant in terms of how I remembered so much) and address the overwhelming tsunami of evidence of the phenomena of non-local consciousness in Irreducible Mind.

I have shown you the question so there is no way you could miss it this time. Oya fire away with your explanation and let's have a lovely argument.

Instead of facing the truth and facts in the case you are applying a reverse methodology.

Do you see the attached meme? That is exactly what you are doing.
Everything about consciousness proves that it is seated squarely in the CNS.
The day science has irrefutable evidence to the contrary, I'll believe. That's my answer to you and Dr. Eben's pseudoscientific question.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by felixomor: 6:15pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

As a doctor
Have u used an EEG before?

Yes or No

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 6:17pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Everything about consciousness proves that it is seated squarely in the CNS.
The day science has irrefutable evidence to the contrary, I'll believe. That's my answer to you and Dr. Eben's pseudoscientific question.

Your last comment just proves your level of incompetence. Here is what someone more knowledgeable than you had to say.

In order to maintain consciousness, a person needs to have a perfectly functioning cerebral cortex and brainstem. Any significant impairment of cortical function—something as trivial as a few good whiffs of ether—can cause loss of consciousness. With further impairment of cortical and brainstem function, the person slips deeper and deeper into coma, a state where the person can't be awakened, fails to respond normally to painful stimuli and doesn't initiate voluntary actions.

The stages of coma can be charted with the Glasgow Coma Scale which assesses eye, verbal and motor responses. In addition, other neurological examinations, such as the pupillary light reflex, indicate the status of brainstem function. For example, if the pupils do not constrict on shining a light, this would indicate brainstem or similar impairment. (something Eben Alexander suffered from because his medical report cited the above).

Seizures of the sort exhibited by Eben Alexander, so called tonic-clonic seizures, are symptoms that present outwardly as wild thrashing movements. During the tonic phase the skeletal muscles will suddenly tense and the person may also express brief vocalizations like a loud moan or scream due to air forcefully expelled from the lungs. During the clonic phase, the person's muscles will start to contract and relax rapidly, causing convulsions. There may be exaggerated twitching of the limbs or violent shaking.

The coma and seizures were brought on by the onslaught of the bacterial meningitis infection which spread very rapidly through his cerebral spinal fluid. The bacteria attacked the entire outer surface of his brain including the neocortex, hippocampus and other parts of the limbic system, and the brainstem. (That was what Alexander's medical report said)

This attack brought on Alexander's subjective experience of loss of memory, language and identity, and his loss of consciousness. The attack also induced wild neuronal fluctuations in his cortex and other regions which resulted in the persistent seizures.

Eben Alexander was in a meningitis-induced coma hours before the sedatives were administered. The sedatives were administered to control the seizures. Alexander remained in a meningitis-induced coma even after the sedating medications were stopped.

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 6:19pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

So much hypocrisy. This kind of doctor that runs to other people's comments and uses them as a defence na wa o. He cannot write one single line of his own to at least show us how competent he is medically.

I have given him a direct question from Eben Alexander which he threw as a challenge to all sceptics. Let's see him try and answer that by himself without reference to others.
Runs to other other people's comment?
Remember I stated that Dr. Sacks has already offered an explanation to Dr. Eben's case, I am only here to differentiate between no detectable brain activity and no brain activity.

This is becoming ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 6:21pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

Again I had to laugh out loud. cheesy cheesy

So an EEG is accurate ba? Yet this accurate EEG isn't credible when it comes to the case of Eben Alexander but it was credible when used to read the brain activity of other patients in coma or who also experience NDE while in coma (do you even see how ridiculous you sound and how you are making this up as you go along?)

Eben Alexander was in a meningitis-induced coma hours before the sedatives were administered. The sedatives were administered to control the seizures. Alexander remained in a meningitis-induced coma even after the sedating medications were stopped

See why I said you don't even understand a quarter of what I'm talking about?

Just be making noise upandan and recycling the same argument.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 6:23pm On Aug 14, 2017
felixomor:

As a doctor
Have u used an EEG before?

Yes or No
I've had to examine the EEG tracings of a patient that we're managing for epilepsy, yeah.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 6:23pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Again you show your incompetence. Here is what another neurologist had to say.

Unfortunately, once there is no brain activity (as documented by 2 EEG's - brain wave tests), the person is "brain dead", and although the body can be kept alive by artificial means, the person can not recover from that.

From the pictures I attached in the OP how many EEG tests do you think Eben Alexander had?

Make I wait for your answer patiently. smiley

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 6:24pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

Eben Alexander was in a meningitis-induced coma hours before the sedatives were administered. The sedatives were administered to control the seizures. Alexander remained in a meningitis-induced coma even after the sedating medications were stopped.

Oh god.
What in this your lengthy article remotely debunked what I said?

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 6:26pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

See why I said you don't even understand a quarter of what I'm talking about?

Just be making noise upandan and recycling the same argument.

I understand perfectly ogbeni and deliberately posted the same answer to 2 of your comments and now I have given a specific response to the main one. You have no idea what you are talking about as an alleged competent doctor.

You now have to wonder why the doctor had to break the sad news to his wife not to expect anything but a pure vegetative state from Eben Alexander and lifelong medical assistance.

And your own prognosis is that he would recover. Ain't you a miracle working doctor who happens to be an atheist. cheesy
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 6:27pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

Again you show your incompetence. Here is what another neurologist had to say.

Unfortunately, once there is no brain activity (as documented by 2 EEG's - brain wave tests), the person is "brain dead", and although the body can be kept alive by artificial means, the person can not recover from that.

From the pictures I attached in the OP how many EEG tests do you think Eben Alexander had?

Make I wait for your answer patiently. smiley
You post radioimages and ask me to determine how many EEG that he had?
You see why I say you have no clue of what I'm talking about?

So, if he had no EEG readings, was Dr. Eben declared brain dead? Yes or No

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 6:29pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Look up.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by felixomor: 6:30pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

I've had to examine the EEG tracings of a patient that we're managing for epilepsy, yeah.

Examining and reading tracing is different from using the machine...
Have u used the machine?

Also so far, u have not demonstrated enough special knowledge to qualify you for management of epilepsy.
I wonder the hospital where u r doing EEg tracing examination

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 6:31pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

You have no clue of what you are talking about Mr competent doctor. All your comments and responses here are just being made up as you go along. I on the other hand have been giving you nothing but pure facts step by step. You have been making wild guesses and insinuations.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 6:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

Look up.
Vegetative state is equal to brain death in your Medical school abi?
See why I said you have no clue what you're talking about?

He isn't the first patient to defy prognostic odds and he won't be the last okay?

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 6:37pm On Aug 14, 2017
felixomor:

Have u used the machine?

Also so far, u have not demonstrated enough special knowledge to qualify you for management of epilepsy.

What next are you going to ask me?
Have I operated an x-ray machine, ct scan, MRI?
Since I must use the machine to be able to use the result and appreciate how the machine works.

Please what is there in managing epilepsy in a neurology unit? I said we've managed not I've managed.

EEG mchines are everywhere, that you've not seen one doesn't mean everyone is like you.

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 6:38pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

You have no clue of what you are talking about Mr competent doctor. All your comments and responses here are just being made up as you go along. I on the other hand have been giving you nothing but pure facts step by step. You have been making wild guesses and insinuations.
Sure, Pat yourself on the back if it makes you sleep better at night.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 6:39pm On Aug 14, 2017
felixomor:

Have u used the machine?

Whoever allows his to handle an EEG is on a death wish. I doubt he can read an EEG

attached is what an EEG image showing brain activity looks like or at least a guide. Compare that to the ones I attached in the OP and then he should tell me how he managed to miss the obvious fact that there is absolutely no brain activity shown in the one attached in the OP. He claims its too small to read. Is he using a micro device?

This same EEG is always accompanied with a chart showing brain activity in written form but both the images and charts showed absolutely nothing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 6:43pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Vegetative state is equal to brain death in your Medical school abi?
See why I said you have no clue what you're talking about?

He isn't the first patient to defy prognostic odds and he won't be the last okay?

The three essential findings in brain death are coma, absence of brainstem reflexes, and apnoea
Eben Alexander had all three.

Now link that to this below

You see you are just making things up as you go.

And oh yes I am still waiting for your response to the question he challenged physicians with. Don't let me grow old while waiting please.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by felixomor: 6:44pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

What next are you going to ask me?
Have I operated an x-ray machine, ct scan, MRI?
Since I must use the machine to be able to use the result and appreciate how the machine works.

Please what is there in managing epilepsy in a neurology unit? I said we've managed not I've managed.

EEG mchines are everywhere, that you've not seen one doesn't mean everyone is like you.
Oh so you were in a neurology unit, yet went numb when you were asked your specialty for days.
Mscheww, let us hear word.

Obviously, From your dribbles
Its obvious you have not used an EEG

And it's quite surprising that you are asking what is the relationship between using a medical device and reading its print out.
It clearly shows some incompetence on your part.
Sorry to say
because if you have seen it being used, some of the stupid questions and talk you vomitted on this thread wouldnt have come out from your mouth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 6:48pm On Aug 14, 2017
felixomor:

Oh so you were in a neurology unit, yet went numb when you were asked your specialty for days.

And it's quite surprising that you are asking what is the relationship between using a medical device and reading its print out.
Sorry to say
because if you have seen it being used, some of the stupid questions and talk you vomitted on this thread wouldnt have come out from your mouth.

There are specifics being looked out for when using an EEG and when seen the image is captured for reference. Without these deliberate focused investigations the images would not be needed.

Since we have images and the images showed no pattern even in the remotest form he claimed the images were too small to read.

His device must be good at targeting only my images and shrinking them to the point they cannot be seen by him.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 6:50pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

The three essential findings in brain death are coma, absence of brainstem reflexes, and apnoea
Eben Alexander had all three.

Now link that to this below

You see you are just making things up as you go.

And oh yes I am still waiting for your response to the question he challenged physicians with. Don't let me grow old while waiting please.
Please refer me to the part of the article where his doctors declared him brain dead. Thanks

I've already answered you and Dr. Eben's pseudoscientific question.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 6:51pm On Aug 14, 2017
felixomor:

Sorry to say

Someone who hasn't seen an EEG machine is calling me incompetent.
I don die

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 6:54pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

There are specifics being looked out for when using an EEG and when seen the image is captured for reference. Without these deliberate focused investigations the images would not be needed.

Since we have images and the images showed no pattern even in the remotest form he claimed the images were too small to read.

His device must be good at targeting only my images and shrinking them to the point they cannot be seen by him.
My God.
In fact, I'm tired really.
This is what happens when you have a medical discussion with a non medical personnel. You're hear all sorts of rubbish.

I'm definitely putting up your picture and your accompanying ridiculous question to my WhatsApp group.
I cannot laugh alone abeg
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 6:54pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Please refer me to the part of the article where his doctors declared him brain dead. Thanks

I've already answered you and Dr. Eben's pseudoscientific question.

Chai this man still cannot see even when he claims to have medical eyes.

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by felixomor: 6:55pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Someone who hasn't seen an EEG machine is calling me incompetent.
I don die
I have not seen yet
And i was able to spot your disconnect and foolish talk on EEgs
Just as the op said, you make up things as you go....

Just as u made up that magic "neurology' unit moments ago.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 6:57pm On Aug 14, 2017
CatfishBilly:

My God.
In fact, I'm tired really.
This is what happens when you have a medical discussion with a non medical personnel. You're hear all sorts of rubbish.

I'm definitely putting up your picture and your accompanying ridiculous question to my WhatsApp group.
I cannot laugh alone abeg

When you do please don't forget to post the images you claim are too small for you to read there as well so they can help you read them alright?

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by CatfishBilly: 7:01pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

Chai this man still cannot see even when he claims to have medical eyes.

To declare someone brain dead has massive medical and judicial consequences, so please, show me where in the articlehis doctors said that he's brain dead.

As in, they pronounced him brain dead, not that it was implied.
Categorical pronouncement.
Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by butterflylion: 7:01pm On Aug 14, 2017
felixomor:

I have not seen yet
And i was able to spot your disconnect and foolish talk on EEgs
Just as the op said, you make up things as you go....

Just as u made up that magic "neurology' unit moments ago.

If this talk was on a different medical miracle he would have claimed he once was Once a medical person in that field as well just to argue.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. by felixomor: 7:02pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

When you do please don't forget to post the images you claim are too small for you to read there as well so they can help you read them alright?

The guy has escaped .......
His quackery is legendary

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

The Divine Mercy Prayer (free Video and Audio Download) / Funny Names Of Nigerian Churches. / The 2017 Worship Songs That Have Made Your Year So Far?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.