Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,966 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women (23578 Views)

My View On Nairaland As A Home For Diffrent Cultures... / African Culture, Nigeria -my View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Go Down)

My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by Nobody: 5:52am On Feb 23, 2010
Well first and foremost let me introduce myself before I rant. Yes I am a newbie here. I actually found about this site while looking up relations between Africans (from the continent) and African descendants. Unfortunately I came across BULL. I've read posts about "why are nigerian men dating jamaican women?", "why dont nigerian men in the UK get along with Jamaican women?" I've seen some of the most pathetic posts about "Jamo women smoke weed (90 percent of them)", "Jamo women wear blue. black, lime green, yellow, blonde weave", "Jamo women will cut off your male anatomy" etc. Complete, utter RUBBISH. Let me just say I come here with NO disrespect intended, as I am a black woman therefore of the African vine that you all born on the land or to parents who were. I have dated African men and I adore them. I will also have you all know I am the product of a Jamaican mother and an African American father. What I read burned my soul because I was raised by a Jamaican women with so much dignity, respect and pride that it has rubbed off on me. The disrespect is MAJOR! I could not believe a people who claim to be the "super powers of Africa" and intelligent would say such vile, and disgusting stereotypical junk that has plaqued ALL black people. I do NOT appreciate the slander what so ever. I have NEVER worn blonde, lime green, pink, purple, blue, yellow etc weave, I do not find it cute nor will I ever. As for SOME of my Jamaican sisters? to each his own. Every orchard has its spoiled apples, Africans should know this first hand as African ppl are by far the most stereotyped humans on the planet.

Futhermore this issue between some of you rude and envious Nigerian women and Jamaican women is childish and pitiful. If a Nigerian MAN, not child, not boy but MAN, should decide that he will like to wed, bed or even get to know a Caribbean/Jamaican woman, so be it. This anomousity is rediculous. To the fool who claimed that 90 percent of my sisters smoked weed let me ask you this there are nearly 3.5 million Jamaican ppl on my island, to every man there is about 4 women, so let me ask you this "you really want me to believe that you have actually spoken to/met millions of Jamaican women to be sure that 90 percent of us smoke weed?" you are but a fool. You are ignorant and should be ashamed of yourself. Nigerian women who dislike us GET OVER YOURSELVES! Every African man I have dated has exclaimed/declared they will nolonger date African women because apparently you all are "dramatic and over the top not to mention loud". Sure SOME of you may be but I am woman enough to know that some do not speak for all, futhermore I am also woman enough to tell them that African woman birthed you so you cannot turn your back on them. I am a fair person and a proud college bound HARD WORKING Jamaican woman. If you want to know why is it Nigerian/African men like us, ask yourselves "what is wrong with us to make them stray?"; that statement alone by now has spawned fire inside of some of you because you are biased but I could careless.

The reason Africa and other black nations cannot thrive is foolishness such as this. This ethnocentric, tribalistic crap has raped us of years and chances of elevation generation after generation! Is My Jamaican blood enough to make me not a good choice for an African man? or is it my character that should be questioned? Ask yourself that. Someone said "isnt there other Caribbean women? why Jamos?" I guess as if to say we are the bottom of the pit and should be overlooked. Let me explain this clear so that I am not to repeat myself: Jamaican women are WOMEN. We are not extraterrestial beings we are not inbetween the sexes we are WOMEN; and like ALL women we range from mild mannered to extreme ignorance. Like ALL women you have (excuse my language) "Ladies" and "b.tches" (again pls excuse me). If you go to Trinidad same story. Barbados? same story. Colombia? Same. America? Same. Africa? You fill in the blank. We are more than worth it after all we are also of African descent which regardless of how you all feel connects us. The only division between us that should be evident is the Atlantic Ocean nothing more. Grow up and educate yourselves on the tribes that make up Jamaica: Igbo and Yoruba are among the many f.y.i.

To my Nigerian brothers and sisters who understand me, bless up and respect. I look forward to conversing with you all and getting to know Nigerian culture and history to all else grow up!, AND FAST.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by chiogo(f): 6:30am On Feb 23, 2010
I agree with you but that's some essay up there. wink grin

Welcome to Nairaland = Dramaland!
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by Nobody: 6:41am On Feb 23, 2010
Lol. Thank you. I apologize for the chapter book LOL. I was in the moment.
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by Pataki: 6:44am On Feb 23, 2010
@ OP,

Wow! That was surely a write-up burning right up from your soul. I faintly remember the thread you are talking about which has instigated this thread/topic you passionately drafted with extensive verbiage.

Stereotype is wrong. Unfortunately, we all have to live with it. I wish it never exists, but it does. While you might have been angry with the postings on that thread, kindly note that on this forum, not everything stated here should be taken seriously. More importantly, there are some posters who just derive joy in seeing others (posters) emotionally aggravated by their own nonsensical posts.

I strongly encourage you to skimp/gloss over posts that make no meaning to you. Enjoy your stay here on the forum. Otherwise, every other day, you do be having series of verbiage entwined with expletives to address to some set of forumites on this board.

B.T.W, I reckon this thread should be in the culture section or sumfin.

1 Like

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by Nobody: 7:04am On Feb 23, 2010
well, i purposely posted it here because it is here that i saw those disgusting posts.

1 Like

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by 190: 7:56am On Feb 23, 2010
hiss and bailsss
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by parislomo(f): 8:30am On Feb 23, 2010
welcome mademoiselle to nairaland. And I'd implore you to hearken to this advice:

Pataki:

@ OP,

kindly note that on this forum, not everything stated here should be taken seriously. More importantly, there are some posters who just derive joy in seeing others (posters) emotionally aggravated by their own nonsensical posts.

I strongly encourage you to skimp/gloss over posts that make no meaning to you. Enjoy your stay here on the forum. Otherwise, every other day, you do be having series of verbiage entwined with expletives to address to some set of forumites on this board.

B.T.W, I reckon this thread should be in the culture section or sumfin.

1 Like

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by smooooooth: 8:38am On Feb 23, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

Well first and foremost let me introduce myself before I rant. Yes I am a newbie here. I actually found about this site while looking up relations between Africans (from the continent) and African descendants. Unfortunately I came across BULL. I've read posts about "why are nigerian men dating jamaican women?", "why dont nigerian men in the UK get along with Jamaican women?" I've seen some of the most pathetic posts about "Jamo women smoke weed (90 percent of them)", "Jamo women wear blue. black, lime green, yellow, blonde weave", "Jamo women will cut off your male anatomy" etc. Complete, utter RUBBISH. Let me just say I come here with NO disrespect intended, as I am a black woman therefore of the African vine that you all born on the land or to parents who were. I have dated African men and I adore them. I will also have you all know I am the product of a Jamaican mother and an African American father. What I read burned my soul because I was raised by a Jamaican women with so much dignity, respect and pride that it has rubbed off on me. The disrespect is MAJOR! I could not believe a people who claim to be the "super powers of Africa" and intelligent would say such vile, and disgusting stereotypical junk that has plaqued ALL black people. I do NOT appreciate the slander what so ever. I have NEVER worn blonde, lime green, pink, purple, blue, yellow etc weave, I do not find it cute nor will I ever. As for SOME of my Jamaican sisters? to each his own. Every orchard has its spoiled apples, Africans should know this first hand as African ppl are by far the most stereotyped humans on the planet.

Futhermore this issue between some of you rude and envious Nigerian women and Jamaican women is childish and pitiful. If a Nigerian MAN, not child, not boy but MAN, should decide that he will like to wed, bed or even get to know a Caribbean/Jamaican woman, so be it. This anomousity is rediculous. To the fool who claimed that 90 percent of my sisters smoked weed let me ask you this there are nearly 3.5 million Jamaican ppl on my island, to every man there is about 4 women, so let me ask you this "you really want me to believe that you have actually spoken to/met millions of Jamaican women to be sure that 90 percent of us smoke weed?" you are but a fool. You are ignorant and should be ashamed of yourself. Nigerian women who dislike us GET OVER YOURSELVES! Every African man I have dated has exclaimed/declared they will nolonger date African women because apparently you all are "dramatic and over the top not to mention loud". Sure SOME of you may be but I am woman enough to know that some do not speak for all, futhermore I am also woman enough to tell them that African woman birthed you so you cannot turn your back on them. I am a fair person and a proud college bound HARD WORKING Jamaican woman. If you want to know why is it Nigerian/African men like us, ask yourselves "what is wrong with us to make them stray?"; that statement alone by now has spawned fire inside of some of you because you are biased but I could careless.

The reason Africa and other black nations cannot thrive is foolishness such as this. This ethnocentric, tribalistic crap has despoiled us of years and chances of elevation generation after generation! Is My Jamaican blood enough to make me not a good choice for an African man? or is it my character that should be questioned? Ask yourself that. Someone said "isnt there other Caribbean women? why Jamos?" I guess as if to say we are the bottom of the pit and should be overlooked. Let me explain this clear so that I am not to repeat myself: Jamaican women are WOMEN. We are not extraterrestial beings we are not inbetween the sexes we are WOMEN; and like ALL women we range from mild mannered to extreme ignorance. Like ALL women you have (excuse my language) "Ladies" and "b.tches" (again pls excuse me). If you go to Trinidad same story. Barbados? same story. Colombia? Same. America? Same. Africa? You fill in the blank. We are more than worth it after all we are also of African descent which regardless of how you all feel connects us. The only division between us that should be evident is the Atlantic Ocean nothing more. Grow up and educate yourselves on the tribes that make up Jamaica: Igbo and Yoruba are among the many f.y.i.

To my Nigerian brothers and sisters who understand me, bless up and respect. I look forward to conversing with you all and getting to know Nigerian culture and history to all else grow up!, AND FAST.

now this is a real post from a jamaican woman, u just cant ignore them , you just have to R.E.S.P.E.C.T them. grin

1 Like

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by madlady(f): 8:38am On Feb 23, 2010
@Poster I am a Jamo, and to be honest you have made SOME truthful comments (your  write-up really is far too long) but why let it bother you.

I used to find it a bit much but lets face it some ppls can be plain NASTY, one even called me "ashy"  but sticks and stones and all that.

Ignore it, there are some GREAT PPLS ON THIS SITE kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by madlady(f): 8:52am On Feb 23, 2010
@Poster I have read your post again, I think you may have gone too far in some of the things you said. Just my 10 cents worth. lipsrsealed
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 23, 2010
why do you refer to yourself as "jamo"? we are not Jamos we are yardies lol secondly i realise it is long. i wasnt expecting ppl to reply i just wanted to dead the issue with class. yu simme?

1 Like

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by Nobody: 8:55am On Feb 23, 2010
gone too far? i hardly think so.
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by madlady(f): 9:02am On Feb 23, 2010
@Poster, I do not even like the term "yardi" my Mother who is a Jamaican born Jew does not even know what it means.
The word Jamo does not offend me at all.

Some times I feel it's better to take a less confrontational stance, but that's me, I am 31 and I have seen soo much nasty comments it's nearly water off a ducks back.

When it gets bad I LOG OFF.

1 Like

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by ThoniaSlim(f): 9:03am On Feb 23, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

The reason Africa and other black nations cannot thrive is foolishness such as this. This ethnocentric, tribalistic crap has despoiled us of years and chances of elevation generation after generation! Is My Jamaican blood enough to make me not a good choice for an African man? or is it my character that should be questioned? Ask yourself that. Someone said "isnt there other Caribbean women? why Jamos?" I guess as if to say we are the bottom of the pit and should be overlooked. Let me explain this clear so that I am not to repeat myself: Jamaican women are WOMEN. We are not extraterrestial beings we are not inbetween the sexes we are WOMEN; and like ALL women we range from mild mannered to extreme ignorance. Like ALL women you have (excuse my language) "Ladies" and "b.tches" (again pls excuse me). If you go to Trinidad same story. Barbados? same story. Colombia? Same. America? Same. Africa? You fill in the blank. We are more than worth it after all we are also of African descent which regardless of how you all feel connects us. The only division between us that should be evident is the Atlantic Ocean nothing more. Grow up and educate yourselves on the tribes that make up Jamaica: Igbo and Yoruba are among the many f.y.i.

You were making sense. . .till you said that! Get over yourself. . .You know who you are and you shouldn't allow anyone dictate who you are. . .I must also add if you had as much confidence as you claim to have. . .dear you won't be ranting or getting your blood pressure up over what some faceless baboons behind a computer screen think!

Just my two cents!
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by milkan05(m): 9:03am On Feb 23, 2010
hmmmmmmmmmmmm *musing*

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by Nobody: 9:47am On Feb 23, 2010
we overstand man. grin nuff respect
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by SisiKill1: 10:21am On Feb 23, 2010
Lol @ posts.
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 23, 2010
ThoniaSlim:

You were making sense. . .till you said that! Get over yourself. . .You know who you are and you shouldn't allow anyone dictate who you are. . .I must also add if you had as much confidence as you claim to have. . .dear you won't be ranting or getting your blood pressure up over what some faceless baboons behind a computer screen think!

Just my two cents!
I don't think we've ever seen eye to eye on any issue but on this issue, I agree with you ma'am.

Threadstater, you come across as a very intelligent, refined and above all passionate lady.
While I agree with the larger part of your post i think
Every African man I have dated has exclaimed/declared they will nolonger date African women because apparently you all are "dramatic and over the top not to mention loud".
is rather out of place. Now, i'm beginning to think if you are actually intelligent and refined. Your passion, however is not in doubt.
Surely, you do not need a juju priest to tell you that you need to ignore podunk and asinine comments especially if they are made by some troglodyte.

Apart from the highlighted, I think you have a brilliant post up there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by DOAweb(m): 12:10pm On Feb 23, 2010
  smiley What an explosion, quite constructive in challenging the stereotypes  - let it all out girl!!  cool cool

However, having dated few Caribbean ladies in my lifetime (2), there are elements of truth in some of the claims. The problem is that this mad world is full of hypocrites and Africans are just so full of it.

To be honest, I love dem Caribbean any day any time  wink wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by Nobody: 12:51pm On Feb 23, 2010
I really do think you are up your arse. Yes you read some foul things but why attack Nigerian women and do the exact same thing you are accusing people here of doing
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by madlady(f): 12:56pm On Feb 23, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

I really do think you are up your arse. Yes you read some foul things but why attack Nigerian women and do the exact same thing you are accusing people here of doing

Very sorry @Poster, but I really do agree with @Ebonyeyes on the comment you made about Nigerian women. Not nice at all lipsrsealed
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by r231(m): 1:04pm On Feb 23, 2010
wow

dats all i can say cheesy
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by daylae(m): 1:16pm On Feb 23, 2010
Me too!
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by simplychic(f): 3:14pm On Feb 23, 2010
madam talk for yourself,you may be decent good for you but i have also seen lots of jamaican guys dissing nigerian guy,they even beef any of their ladies dating nigerians,cos they believe they are better of,so its vice versa but to be candid most not all of the jamican ladies are wierd,just last week a jamaican hairdresser attacked her own boss a nigerian woman cos of a little arguement,i can't call that rudeness cos she was moving close so as to fight.
The choice od whom to marry depends on the individual,can you tell us the % of nigerians marrying jamaicans? Its not much but they go out with each other but when it comes to marriage,its rare cos they always end up with divorce,not becos of anything but because of the difference in their cultural background.
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by Nobody: 3:42pm On Feb 23, 2010
I wonder why dating a Nigerian man makes some of you feel you have to attack Nigerian women, or that you're better than them simply because a naija dude is telling you all kinds of sweet nothings?

Black men say the same things when they're dating whites- ie that they can never be with a black woman because of their (black women's) nasty attitude.

When will some of you women wise up and face the fact that a man, especially a black one, will say literally anything when he's in the mood?

Then after you discover he was lying to you just like he lied to everyone else, you go bananas.

All you need is a little dose of reality.

1 Like

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by Hauwa1: 4:16pm On Feb 23, 2010
tpia.:

I wonder why dating a Nigerian man makes some of you feel you have to attack Nigerian women, or that you're better than them simply because a naija dude is telling you all kinds of sweet nothings?
Black men say the same things when they're dating whites- ie that they can never be with a black woman because of their (black women's) nasty attitude.

When will some of you women wise up and face the fact that a man, especially a black one, will say literally anything when he's in the mood?

Then after you discover he was lying to you just like he lied to everyone else, you go bananas.

All you need is a little dose of reality.

Nig guys would do anything to land a puzzie so let them dream on, at the end of the day, they still prefer us cool

1 Like

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 23, 2010
amazing how women always fall for such lines every single time.

1 Like

Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by madlady(f): 5:13pm On Feb 23, 2010
^Not I.

I know most human beings feel more comfortable with their own.

But we can all get along. I really think the poster went way too far and the new title is quite inflammatory.
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by agabaI23(m): 6:38pm On Feb 23, 2010
madlady:

@Poster, I do not even like the term "yardi" my Mother who is a Jamaican born Jew does not even know what it means.
The word Jamo does not offend me at all.

Some times I feel it's better to take a less confrontational stance, but that's me, I am 31 and I have seen soo much nasty comments it's nearly water off a ducks back.

When it gets bad I LOG OFF.
Who dare insult you? Let me know next time. It appears Scooby is not doing his job well! angry
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by H2O2: 6:40pm On Feb 23, 2010
Idiotic pot calling the kettle black. FAIL
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by madlady(f): 6:49pm On Feb 23, 2010
agabaI23:

Who dare insult you? Let me know next time. It appears Scooby is not doing his job well! angry

grin grin grin Scooby 1 was not around, leave him nah. Would you believe it but baybootz came to my aid, but it's all good.

I really do not think this thread helps at all  embarassed embarassed, why rack up muck, do you think it will do any good, i  cool cool cool trouble.
Re: My View: Nigerian vs Carribbean Women by titsqueez(m): 6:55pm On Feb 23, 2010

I will also have you all know I am the product of a Jamaican mother and an African American father.

Akata plus Jamo = double wahala  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13)

Which Top Ten African Countries to you Contribute To The Image Of Africa Today? / Alaafin Presents Car To Journalist Sanni Agboola / Ebenezer Tunde Omobobami Begs Police To Stop Him From Being Ogun Chief Priest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.