Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,604 members, 7,823,624 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? (12573 Views)

Is Hellfire Enough Deterrent For Sin? / The Only Antidote For Sin / Are Natural Disasters God's Way Of Punishing The World For Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Josephjnr(m): 2:59pm On Sep 04, 2017
701ecilana:

God is not a Democrat.

grin
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 701ecilana: 3:05pm On Sep 04, 2017
OneManLegion:

The basis that I don't agree should suffice. If I was actually created by yahweh, then he didn't seek my permission to be created but he went ahead anyway only to subject me to unreasonable laws. Does that make sense to you?

I will advice you to put all your questions together so that you and Him shall have a go at each other. When he says the following to you, you say what you said here to Him.
Here is what He says;

Isaiah 45:9-12
Does a clay pot dare argue with its maker, a pot that is like all the others?

Does the clay ask the potter what he is doing? Does the pot complain that its maker has no skill? Do we dare say to our parents, “Why did you make me like this?”

The Lord, the holy God of Israel, the one who shapes the future, says: “You have no right to question me about my children or to tell me what I ought to do!

I am the one who made the earth and created human beings to live there. By my power I stretched out the heavens; I control the sun, the moon, and the stars.

Pls don't forget to present your case when he says this to Him.

Shalom.

2 Likes

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by hopefulLandlord: 3:05pm On Sep 04, 2017
701ecilana:

I will gladly take you on fully on this discussion if you'd admit that at least God exist.

Does God exists?

you already know the reply to that
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 701ecilana: 3:06pm On Sep 04, 2017
OneManLegion:

The basis that I don't agree should suffice. If I was actually created by yahweh, then he didn't seek my permission to be created but he went ahead anyway only to subject me to unreasonable laws. Does that make sense to you?
And, have you ever gone demanding from your parents why they ever had to have sex to have you? Why haven't you told them or even suit them to court for not aborting you?
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 701ecilana: 3:10pm On Sep 04, 2017
OneManLegion:

This, right here, is one of the biggest issues I have with religions: confusion. Do we have freewill or not? If we do, then don't punish us for our choice; if not, don't make us engage in this charade then.

I wish loving others were the only rules. Your religion depicts a genocidal, partial, petty god and tells me to worship it? Why is he so thirst for our worship? Is he suffering from low self esteem? Check your bible, on countless occasions did he order genocide by asking the Israelites to completely annihilate other nations because they serve other gods (remember the moabites, jebusites, amorites, amalekites etc?) and allowed the needless torment of a good man as well as the murder of his children in order to prove his loyalty to his arch-enemy (remember Job?).
Hmmm Pride, the ultimate nature of satan.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 701ecilana: 3:23pm On Sep 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you already know the reply to that
Then why do you always jump into threads that talks about God? If God doesn't exist, then he shouldn't be responsible for any thing you keep accusing him of. If he exists, then we can continue to talk about those things and how they came about.

2 Likes

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 701ecilana: 3:27pm On Sep 04, 2017
Josephjnr:

grin
Yes nah. These people want the God they can control.

It's a choice, rule, or be ruled.

God rules on dictates, Laws, Commands and order, not by democracy. It's either we accept or reject it.

If we accept it, the door opens and we enter, if we reject it, whatever you encounter out there, it's on you.

1 Like

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by hopefulLandlord: 3:59pm On Sep 04, 2017
701ecilana:

Then why do you always jump into threads that talks about God? If God doesn't exist, then he shouldn't be responsible for any thing you keep accusing him of. If he exists, then we can continue to talk about those things and how they came about.

Haha, I've explained this many times in the past, I won't go over it again
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 701ecilana: 4:16pm On Sep 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Haha, I've explained this many times in the past, I won't go over it again
You won't go over what again?
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by hopefulLandlord: 4:17pm On Sep 04, 2017
701ecilana:
You won't go over what again?
over why I talk about imaginary friends
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 701ecilana: 5:47pm On Sep 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

over why I talk about imaginary friends
No, you just talked about your imaginary friend here. If those days are over, your time in NL wld've been over too.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by thesicilian: 6:03pm On Sep 04, 2017
OneManLegion:

Lmao! I wasn't even going to really expose the legions of instances of manifest absurdity in your holy book but since you're mentioning them yourself, let's analyse the ones you've mentioned. You mentioned the possibility that perhaps those laws are there and that strict in order to forestall a 'coup' orchestrated by man. So, you're admitting that your omni-powerful, omni-scient God is afraid of the power of our collective will? Besides, how do barbaric rules (like commanding someone to kill idolaters, homosexuals, rebellious kids etc) prevent us from going against him? Humanity is currently trying her hardest to create ASI (Artificial Super Intelligence) who can have the kind of intelligence we'd normally only ascribe to God. There's no one curtailing the limits of their intelligence. However, for obvious safety reasons of having a self-conscious, super sentient entity on earth with us, humans have to put all safety measures in place so that we wouldn't end up masterminding the creation of something which poses an existential threat to us. Eternity in hell doesn't serve this purpose. It's just an inconceivably malevolent and sadistic form of punishment only a psychopathic psychotic can think of and actually execute.

The tower of Babel signified the height of scientific and practical ignorance that all religions, particularly christianity, are enmeshed in. As at the time the Bible was compiled, the humans who didn't know any better thought the earth was flat so they reasoned one could go on building a tower that could reach up to the heavens. Your all-knowing god who should have laughed off their cute ignorance off became threatened of people that thought they could build tower to heaven! Nawa o! Where is heaven? Is it in the stratosphere? Can any building break out of our orbit? What would they breathe? If God, who created everything, didn't know any better and had to make them start speaking different languages in order to make them desist from a quest that was void ab initio anyway, what does that say about your religion and god? Doesn't that bear a suspicious resemblance to human error?

Brother, please think logically and objectively about these. Abeg. You're too intelligent to be ruled by fear of eternal damnation in a mythical fire or the promise of some imaginary heaven. Do good because it is the right thing to do. Do good because you're a humanist. Do good because you want to, not because you want to make heaven or to escape hell.

And most importantly, reject toxic ignorance and intellectual regression.
Cheers, bro.

***smiles*** Your mode of reasoning makes for a good laugh after a stressful day. Let's take a closer look:
OneManLegion:

Lmao! I wasn't even going to really expose the legions of instances of manifest absurdity in your holy book but since you're mentioning them yourself, let's analyse the ones you've mentioned. You mentioned the possibility that perhaps those laws are there and that strict in order to forestall a 'coup' orchestrated by man. So, you're admitting that your omni-powerful, omni-scient God is afraid of the power of our collective will?
Man was made after the image of God, and given powerful attributes that we may not even begin to be capable of comprehending, even as at today. So it therefore follows that the collective will of man is not to be toiled with. God is bound by his own principles, as a just Person. He says Whatever you bind on earth, shall be bound in Heaven also... Think about that.

Besides, how do barbaric rules (like commanding someone to kill idolaters, homosexuals, rebellious kids etc) prevent us from going against him? Humanity is currently trying her hardest to create ASI (Artificial Super Intelligence) who can have the kind of intelligence we'd normally only ascribe to God. There's no one curtailing the limits of their intelligence.
You cannot give what you don't have. No ASI can be more intelligent than the cumulative intelligence of its programmers.

However, for obvious safety reasons of having a self-conscious, super sentient entity on earth with us, humans have to put all safety measures in place so that we wouldn't end up masterminding the creation of something which poses an existential threat to us.
So you do agree here that a creator is indeed amenable to being destroyed by his own creation, but the mark of a truly smart and intelligent manufacturer is the ability to put in place appropriate prophylactic mechanisms. Same thing I have been telling you: this is a quality handed down to man by a Maker he so passionately denies.

Eternity in hell doesn't serve this purpose. It's just an inconceivably malevolent and sadistic form of punishment only a psychopathic psychotic can think of and actually execute.

The tower of Babel signified the height of scientific and practical ignorance that all religions, particularly christianity, are enmeshed in. As at the time the Bible was compiled, the humans who didn't know any better thought the earth was flat so they reasoned one could go on building a tower that could reach up to the heavens. Your all-knowing god who should have laughed off their cute ignorance off became threatened of people that thought they could build tower to heaven! Nawa o! Where is heaven? Is it in the stratosphere? Can any building break out of our orbit? What would they breathe? If God, who created everything, didn't know any better and had to make them start speaking different languages in order to make them desist from a quest that was void ab initio anyway, what does that say about your religion and god? Doesn't that bear a suspicious resemblance to human error?
First, irrespective of whether mankind would have found Heaven or not, the act itself was a rebellion against the Almighty and that couldn't have gone without punishment - a light one at that.
Second, we still do not know where Heaven is. Whether it is in the stratosphere, here with us on earth or in another galaxy, we can't say. I guess those of us fortunate enough to make it will find out later. After all, even the Garden of Eden is here on earth [from both Biblical & Scientific evidence] yet no man has been able to find it because it has been hidden from man's physical eyes. Same thing could have happened concerning Heaven.

Brother, please think logically and objectively about these. Abeg. You're too intelligent to be ruled by fear of eternal damnation in a mythical fire or the promise of some imaginary heaven. Do good because it is the right thing to do. Do good because you're a humanist. Do good because you want to, not because you want to make heaven or to escape hell.

And most importantly, reject toxic ignorance and intellectual regression.
Cheers, bro.
We studied a poem in junior school, The Blind Men & The Elephant. You can Google it later if you have not already come across it. It is about some blind men who visited an elephant and because of their visual limitations, they had to rely on other senses like hearing, touch etc to describe it. So while the one who felt the knee described the elephant as being like a tree, the one who touched the broad body said it was like a wall while another referred to the giant pachyderm as being like a sharp spear just because he felt the tusk!
So what I'm saying in essence is that in as much as we may claim to know it all because we have read so much, we are still very much limited in our sensory perceptions by virtue of being humans. Maybe one day we'll find out that the Christian was right all along and the atheist wrong, or vice versa, or maybe both theists and atheists are wrong and there's a third explanation. I guess we'll get to know as time goes on, or on the Last Day. Until then, keep doing what you believe in.
Thanks for a rather lively session. You have made my day. I'll pray for you.

1 Like

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by uboma(m): 9:14pm On Sep 04, 2017
701ecilana:
Do you what sin is?

Please tell me the meaning of sin.
I am open to learn more if what you will say is not what I already know.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 701ecilana: 10:01pm On Sep 04, 2017
uboma:

Please tell me the meaning of sin.

I am open to learn more if what you will say is not what I already know.
Sin is a disease of the Spirit, just like Cancer is the disease of the flesh.

The way Cancer ravishes and destroys the flesh, so also sin ravishes and destroys the Spirit.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Hiccups: 10:41pm On Sep 04, 2017
701ecilana:

@bolded got me. Let me say this, The mercy of God is for man while in the flesh, not when he has died and become a spirit. If God's mercy is for the Spirits, Satan would have obtained that Mercy.

The Justice of God is that God will keep his words.

Remember that God never created Hellfire for man, any man who goes there is doing that by choice.

Hellfire burns forever not for a million years an stops. In their realm of the spirit, there's no time.

This is just what I posted earlier, what scriptural backing do you have to these claims of yours? Do you know Christ himself when he died went to preach in spirit prison? (1 Peter 3:18-19). Why would Christ preach to spirits in spirit prison if no mercy for spirit? Please understand your Bible first, do not use human wisdom in things of God. One love.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by skotch(m): 7:39am On Sep 05, 2017
twosquare:
Hell is not forever, neither is it for eternity. (Rev 20:14)

Please which Bible are u quoting?
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 05, 2017
701ecilana:

Hahahahaha. What won't i see? So Yahweh does things that are down right stupid and disturbing, yet He is not real?
Man, insanity comes in different shades.
stupidity is always obvious.

According to your logic, the other 4200 gods must be real since they also do really stupid things. how hard is it to grab context?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 701ecilana: 9:19pm On Sep 05, 2017
Teempakguy:
stupidity is always obvious.

According to your logic, the other 4200 gods must be real since they also do really stupid things. how hard is it to grab context?
Why are you so stupid yet can't see it?

Read your comment i quoted you from. Chai ikwe of stupid people.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Sep 05, 2017
701ecilana:

Why are you so stupid yet can't see it?

Read your comment i quoted you from. Chai ikwe of stupid people.
I'll leave you to figure out my post. I can see it will take you a long time.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Emmanystone: 10:48pm On Sep 06, 2017
701ecilana:

@bolded got me. Let me say this, The mercy of God is for man while in the flesh, not when he has died and become a spirit. If God's mercy is for the Spirits, Satan would have obtained that Mercy.

The Justice of God is that God will keep his words.

Remember that God never created Hellfire for man, any man who goes there is doing that by choice.

Hellfire burns forever not for a million years and stops. In the realm of the spirit, there's no time.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Peacefullove: 3:46pm On Sep 19, 2017
701ecilana:

lol. But allah promises everyone who rejects muhammed as his prophet hellfire, what are you saying here?

Just read the post again and stop embarrassing yourself.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by 701ecilana: 11:22pm On Sep 19, 2017
Peacefullove:

Just read the post again and stop embarrassing yourself.
If we go into this, you'll be the one to run out. Don't make me take you on this.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Ken4Christ: 11:43pm On Sep 19, 2017
milkymesh:
When a person commits a crime, the punishment is based upon both the severity of the crime and the person whom the crime is against.

I know that because God is just, people will suffer according to there deeds, and some will suffer longer than others. But how can you say that a just God would allow me who who stole a goat suffer the same fate as Boko Haram's Shakau who is responsible for thousands deaths?
Why should I suffer eternally for a sin I probably committed for a few weeks or years?
And how can a just God cause men to suffer torture FOREVER?
Will HE in His mercies shut his heart against those who in agony have been crying for thousands of years in hellfire asking for mercy and forgiveness??

The picture of God painted thought the doctrine of hellfire seems to contradict the merciful and loving God taught in the bible.

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

Even with the teachings of eternal hell, people still commit sin unrestrained. What will happen if the Bible teaches hell is not forever? Even you cannot stay secured on this earth.
Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by Peacefullove: 6:41pm On Sep 27, 2017
Ken4Christ:

Even with the teachings of eternal hell, people still commit sin unrestrained. What will happen if the Bible teaches hell is not forever? Even you cannot stay secured on this earth.

Have you forgotten what your bible said at Revelation 20 vs 14 ? Hell was casted into the lake of fire . does that not prove it's not forever ?

Meanwhile, how can Hell be casted into fire .. Is hell an individual to be punished by fire, or for what sin was it casted there ?

Am glad you admit the man created threat of hell by the pastorpreneurs hasn't stop badness, and it has even worsen it . it's a Falsely created Fear in the mind of those who believe it . just thinking about it is enough to make any rational person know its false .

1 Like

Re: Is Eternity In Hellfire A Fair Punishment For Sin? by milkymesh: 8:00am On Jan 18, 2022
A man stole mango from a tree because he is hungry. A lady resorted to prostitution because his parents died and no support from anywhere.
Evans kidnapped, killed and extorted millions from victim because he needed a big house and Benz.
Alade killed his neighbors child for money ritual.
All four criminals are sentenced to death.
Is the punishment fair to all the criminals.

thesicilian:
If you are already aware of the punishment for a crime before you still go ahead to commit it, on what basis then would you argue that the punishment is unfair?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pastor Poju Oyemade In The House! / Bishop Mike Bamidele: COVID-19 Is From Hell, Not From God / EXPOSED : Atheist Truthman83 LIED And DECEIVED Nairalanders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.