Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,281 members, 7,839,387 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (1497) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4453680 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1494) (1495) (1496) (1497) (1498) (1499) (1500) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 4:35pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

UNITA shot down more MiG-23 at close range than SADF....Means UNITA faced more deadly air attacks than SADF.

80% of Angolan war was fought by UNITA in that bush war era, historical records show that !

Or maybe UNITA had better MANPADS because the Americans gave them Stingers

Maybe, Stingers allowed them to shoot down more Mig's because the Stinger was better than what we had at the time?

Stop looking for cheap insults you clown
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 09, 2014
Wheres @Henry120 at least i can have a sort of decent debate with him than that village idi0t @agaugust/AugastineAgian.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:36pm On Dec 09, 2014
patches689:

Moving the goal posts

Nope, that was my original question, ALL olifant tanks is what I asked him to prove, but he could not.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

Go back to school and learn comprehension. You get confused easily.

Yes you probably should, because you dont even know what the two letter word OR stands for.
Shocking really!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:40pm On Dec 09, 2014
patches689:

54. March 1st. 1988 MIG-23 ML? ? Felled by SADF
55. March 17, 1988 MIG-23 ML Cuito 1 Ernest Chavez
56. March 23, 1988 MIG-23 ML? ? Felled by SADF

Yes by ground fire and UNITA
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

Nope, that was my original question, ALL olifant tanks is what I asked him to prove, but he could not.
I did prove it go read both sources.... OH wait i keep on forgetting..... you cant READ!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 4:44pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

centurion uses petrol engine

They were equipped with petrol engines, which necessitated the use of an extra externally mounted 100-imperial-gallon (450 L) fuel tank, which was attached to the vehicle's rear.[19][27]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_tank

All olifants Mk1 use diesel engines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_tank#South_Africa_2

All SANDF Olifants were upgraded to Mk1 standard in 1985
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_of_the_South_African_Army

If you bothered to spend 5 min on google you would not have wasted everyones time, and furthermore, you would not have yet again illustrated what an argumentative child you are.

Your petulance is tiresome.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 4:44pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

Yes by ground fire and UNITA

making stuff up are we?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 09, 2014
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:52pm On Dec 09, 2014
patches689:

bt
They didnt specify, so we will happily assume all of them.

Since you happily assume you will be getting 40 Junk Fighters

No we have money, you are broke !

Then buying a brand new fighter is not same as turning an ancient bush war gun into a 21st century air defence system.

How many of the Oerlikon remain in service? Many destroyed by enemy, many unserviceable after 30 years, many written off.

Show us numbers, NAF said 25-40 JF-17, now show us SANDF numbers scheduled for Oerlikon upgrade to CRAM....we are waiting....
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 09, 2014
patches689:

centurion uses petrol engine

They were equipped with petrol engines, which necessitated the use of an extra externally mounted 100-imperial-gallon (450 L) fuel tank, which was attached to the vehicle's rear.[19][27]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_tank

All olifants Mk1 use diesel engines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_tank#South_Africa_2

All SANDF Olifants were upgraded to Mk1 standard in 1985
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_of_the_South_African_Army

If you bothered to spend 5 min on google you would not have wasted everyones time, and furthermore, you would not have yet again illustrated what an argumentative child you are.

Your petulance is tiresome.

It wont help posting sources(tust me ive tried)this man just cant read.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:56pm On Dec 09, 2014
jln115:

Its you that need glasses go read the sources again...oh wait...you cant READ

No you can't read your own source that says 26 tanks out of about 230 tanks, what of the over 200 tanks? Wind blew them away? Burden of proof is on you ! Prove it....the other 200 tanks
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 4:57pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

No we have money, you are broke !

Then buying a brand new fighter is not same as turning an ancient bush war gun into a 21st century air defence system.

How many of the Oerlikon remain in service? Many destroyed by enemy, many unserviceable after 30 years, many written off.

Show us numbers, NAF said 25-40 JF-17, now show us SANDF numbers scheduled for Oerlikon upgrade to CRAM....we are waiting....

Until proven otherwise, 169

South Africa has 3X the money Nigeria does.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

No you can't read your own source that says 26 tanks out of about 230 tanks, what of the over 200 tanks? Wind blew them away? Burden of proof is on you ! Prove it....the other 200 tanks
READ the other source village idi0t! F0kkit
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:59pm On Dec 09, 2014
patches689:

Just like no contract has been signed for your Junk Fighters

Did you not read the artical? The SANDF does not panic buy like Nigeria, we take our time, we study the ships and what is best suited to our needs, we are in no rush. The RFI has been issued, RFQ for the IPV's was issued on December 3rd and the tender will be closed in June, OPV acquisitions will begin thereafter
http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=37288:movement-on-the-ipv-front&catid=111:sa-defence&Itemid=242

Not to mention that the number of IPV's to be acquired now stands at 6, not 3.

And unlike your day dreams about obsolete Pakistani knock-offs, our project have clear mile-stones and come with concrete information.

"broke" SADF just outdid Nigeria in one fell swoop, soon orders will be places for 3 "light frigates" that bring our tally up to 7.

Deal with it.

Nigeria named what we are buying....JF-17 Thunder.

You name what OPV South Africa is buying...answer now !
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

We are building our own unlike nigeria which buys all their equipment!

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 5:03pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

Feel free to show us where it says Nigeria is buying the JF-17

Infact, show us where Nigeria has issued a RFQ, RFI or tender for a single new fighter jet

Answer now!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 5:05pm On Dec 09, 2014
jln115:

Dont no why i even bother posting sources, when you cant even READ them,but here you go.

www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=37288:movement-on-the-ipv-front&catid=111:sa-defence&Itemid=242

You see why you don't like me?

I said show source to prove your navy is buying OPV, you replied above with source saying you will buy IPV....

See why you had problem understanding HMS/D and HMS ?

Reason why you don't like arguing with me.....
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 5:08pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

I said show source to prove your navy is buying OPV, you replied above with source saying you will buy IPV....

New IPV's is the first stage of Project Biro

The re-furbed Warrio class only have 5 years left on their hulls and the Mine-Hunters are also nearing the end of hull life, their replacement takes priority before we aquire new capabilities

Its a clear sign that project Biro is moving ahead as planned, and with bigger orders than anticipated.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 5:08pm On Dec 09, 2014
jln115:

READ the other source village idi0t! F0kkit

I read it, and it proved you wrong ! Retaarrd !
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 5:09pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

Nope, we have shown that all Olifant Mk1's use diesel not standard petrol engines.

Retaarrd!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeCZAR: 5:11pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

UNITA shot down more MiG-23 at close range than SADF....Means UNITA faced more deadly air attacks than SADF.

80% of Angolan war was fought by UNITA in that bush war era, historical records show that !
UNITA was only involved low intensity skirmishes, when things got hot. The SADF was sent in to destroy columns advancing South.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

Ok your right ,source was about ipv not opv my bad in the heat of the moment i posted without reading it properly, although other sources have been posted that prove that SAN will acqiure OPVs, as for the HMSD and HMS argument i just cant help if you are unable to understand what the word OR means.

And why i dont like arguing with you? You are just to DOM to have a decent debate with!
BTW where is your friend @Henry120 at least he is more intelligent than you.

Oh before i forget here is a source about the new equipment the navy will be acquiring in 2016,including OPVs:
www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6229:fact-file-ranking-african-navies&catid=79:fact-files&Itemid=159
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 09, 2014
agaugust:

Obviously you havent.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 09, 2014
Patchesagain:

US has only conducted 135 airstrikes in Kobani

They cannot drop bombs as they please as ISIS have responded to US bombing by moving their positions as close as 15m to the Peshmerga

ISIS have lost 4000 fighters trying to take Kobane
http://www.vox.com/2014/10/28/7079695/isis-iraq-syria-defeat

This ammounts to 13% of their total manpower lost
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/11/world/meast/isis-syria-iraq/

Not to mention that the town was about to fall when the bombing started, and the bombing stopped the town falling.

You joker.

You see how you're back to telling lies angry

As at November the U.S has carried out more than 270 airstrikes on ISIL positions in kobani.

BEIRUT (AP) — More than two months into its assault on Kobani, the Islamic State group is still pouring fighters and resources into trying to capture the besieged Syrian Kurdish town, but the drive has been blunted.

Helped by more than 270 airstrikes from a U.S.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fe772268a5fd4145a5ef006e55961c09/islamic-state-groups-drive-kobani-blunted

ISIS fighters are not 15 meters away from pershmerga forces, as the forces only joined in the conflict. ISIL fighters are definitely not 15meters away from YPG fighters.

ISIL fighters are still dug in, in kobani despite having no form whatsoever of air support, and in turn taken over 270 U.S air strikes.

This is a military failure, no matter how anybody wants to spin this. It has show, if you don't have the resources the U.S has, you have no business deploying Fighter jets for CAS. It would be a catastrophic failure for that nation.

Kobani proves once and for all, fighter jets have no place in CAS.

270+ U.S airstrikes, and also coalition patners strikes.
Over 2 months
A single town on the border,
ISIL still dug in.

Yet, you claim it to be a success for Fighter jets shocked shocked

Clown.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Hostermipo(m): 5:38pm On Dec 09, 2014
here for a while again
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Dec 09, 2014
Patchesagain:

15 years to train a total of 72 aircrew

14 Gripen pilots
54 Hawk pilots

We have more jet qualified aircrew than Nigeria has jets

Henry, you said you prayed for me. Now I must ask, do you not feel at least guilty by sticking to this lie that we only have 8 pilots?

Why are you so obsessed by this lie?

Oga, you do not have 14 Gripen pilots, you only got 8.

"Besides are you seriously proud you only managed to train 14 pilots for 26 planes after 15 years?".

Is this something to be proud of undecided undecided

How low can you sink?

If you could read properly, you would have noticed I did not make any claim about praying for you.

Go back, read properly. Problem is, you make too many fraudulent claims, it's almost impossible to keep tabs.

Patches 689, SAAF only has 8 pilots for 26 Gripens. This is the fact.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Dec 09, 2014
Patchesagain:

posting outdated information

14 pilots, 18 aircrew, 54 hawk pilots, 18 000 hours

8 pilots
26 Gripens
15 years
18, 000 hours flown almost entirely by your presidential air fleet.

Bravo.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Dec 09, 2014
Henry120:

You see how you're back to telling lies angry

As at November the U.S has carried out more than 270 airstrikes on ISIL positions in kobani.

BEIRUT (AP) — More than two months into its assault on Kobani, the Islamic State group is still pouring fighters and resources into trying to capture the besieged Syrian Kurdish town, but the drive has been blunted.

Helped by more than 270 airstrikes from a U.S.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fe772268a5fd4145a5ef006e55961c09/islamic-state-groups-drive-kobani-blunted

ISIS fighters are not 15 meters away from pershmerga forces, as the forces only joined in the conflict. ISIL fighters are definitely not 15meters away from YPG fighters.

ISIL fighters are still dug in, in kobani despite having no form whatsoever of air support, and in turn taken over 270 U.S air strikes.

This is a military failure, no matter how anybody wants to spin this. It has show, if you don't have the resources the U.S has, you have no business deploying Fighter jets for CAS. It would be a catastrophic failure for that nation.

Kobani proves once and for all, fighter jets have no place in CAS.

270+ U.S airstrikes, and also coalition patners strikes.
Over 2 months
A single town on the border,
ISIL still dug in.

Yet, you claim it to be a success for Fighter jets shocked shocked

Clown.
Although Fighters wont preform COIN duties as well as a designated COIN Aircraft obviously, there are some Multi-role Fighters that can fulfill the CAS role at almost the same level, for example the Gripen and Eurofighter are able to fly at very low speeds thankx to their fly-by-wire systems, I know the Gripen has a min speed of 170km/h before stalling not 100% sure about the eurofighter stall speed but it ought to be at +- the same speed as the Gripen,maybe a bit higher because its heavier.
What is the JF-17 stall speed? will it be able to preform COIN duties if the need arises, because that is what nigeria need at the moment.

As for the battle of Kobani i cant comment dont have enough knowledge of whats going on over there.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 6:06pm On Dec 09, 2014
patches689:
Just a reminder:

7 "frigates"

Yes,

cool

Name the 7 Frigates
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 6:11pm On Dec 09, 2014
MikeCZAR:
ALL Olifants use engines different from the Centurion.

Prove it with clear Source
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Dec 09, 2014
jln115:

Although Fighters wont preform COIN duties as well as a designated COIN Aircraft obviously, there are some Multi-role Fighters that can fulfill the CAS role at almost the same level, for example the Gripen and Eurofighter are able to fly at very low speeds thankx to their fly-by-wire systems, I know the Gripen as a min speed of 170km/h before stalling not 100% sure about the eurofighter stall speed but it ought to be at +- the same speed as the Gripen,maybe a bit higher because its heavier.
What is the JF-17 stall speed? will it be able to preform COIN duties if the need arises, because that is what nigeria need at the moment.

As for the battle of Kobani i cant comment dont have enough knowledge of whats going on over there to comment.

Which modern fighter doesn't have Fly by wire? They all do.

The Eurofighter is an interceptor/ dog fighter, built with a Cold war mindset and designed primarily for Air-Air combat.

EADS is only recently rolling out Ground attack variants. Instead, you should have mentioned the french Rafale which was designed for Air-ground combat operations as it's primary role.

I don't know why you SAns keep mentioning the Gripen, all right, let's go with the supposed 170 km/h min speed, it is still too fast for CAS, how many jihadists can you hope to killl flying at that speed?

The JF-17 and all other fighters can carry out COIN. NAF use both the F-7, L-39z and alpha jets for COIN operations. If eventually Nigeria gets the JF-17's, they would be used for COIN duties. However, they would beg for the effectiveness the Super tucano and A-10's can provide.

My point is, kobani is proof, CAS = CAS based assets. You think any other airforce's around the world would have the luxury of more than 270 airstrikes on a single town?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1494) (1495) (1496) (1497) (1498) (1499) (1500) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.