Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,987 members, 7,866,714 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 01:04 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (496) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4469750 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 6:24pm On Jul 13, 2013
GidiNaijaPikin:

You never stop to outdo yourself just as you always fail to address/rebut the salient points instead choosing to digress.

Point is ... SA's nice university buildings are meant for the hot brains and intellectual minds from outside of South Africa to help improve the your local dull brains from its current 33% levels. You fail to address the perennial teachers strikes across South Africa and the books delivery failure of your education sector managers to the Limpopo Province -- on of the dullest population centres in South Africa.

Nigeria is never in short supply of academic/intellectual manpower ... they come-off the production line every year and get introduced to the system via our profound NYSC Corp programme.

We can take this further! Try again.

Show me a single university in the world that does not have international professors?

Fact is Naai-geria loses it's professionals to better countries, because it is useless. Professionals from Naai-gerian would rather go elsewhere. How many of your doctors and professors do you lose to better countries?

Just recently, you people tried to argue that our better trained army personnel get poached by other countries. So, by your logic, these South African army personnel are going to help build these useless countries they get poached to?

You don't know how to debate! grin grin

Here's what your professor has to say about the better country that is South Africa grin

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/online-special/what-nigeria-should-learn-from-south-africa/

I am posting the whole thing plus the comments, before you try to ignore it:

What Nigeria should learn from South Africa’
January 26, 2013 at 4:08 pm
Written by Lekan

A Nigerian professor of mass communication, Abiodun Salawu was recently appointed Mazisi Kunene Chair at the University of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa. In this online interview with Lekan Otufodunrin, Professor Salawu speaks on his plan for his new assignment and experience teaching and living in South Africa.

What is your reaction to your appointment as the Mazisi Kunene Chair at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN), South Africa?

I am delighted to have been appointed into the Chair. I was actually invited to the position by the university. I was in the United States attending a conference when I received the e-mail inviting into the position. I never saw the advert. The university had been advertising the position since 2010. If I had seen the advert, I wouldn’t have felt that I qualified for the job. Why? This is because one of the requirements for the job is that that the applicant should be a speaker of one or more Nguni languages. Nguni languages comprise isiZulu, isiXhosa, isiNdebele and isiSwati. I don’t speak any of these languages. In fact, at the interview which I attended for the job, I asked them why they sought me out for the job, they refused to tell me. What I could only guess was that they must have known about my work in indigenous language media in Africa. To me, the Chair appointment serves as recognition of my work in that area and I appreciate the University of KwaZulu-Natal for that.

What do you hope to accomplish during your tenure as Chair?

I hope to promote the works of Mazisi Kunene and creative writings in African languages in general. Special attention will be paid to oral poetry which is a genre that late Professor Kunene is known for. We will also invest our energy into research on African language media, either it is the print, broadcast or the internet. All these media will also be studied in relation to their application for development purposes. All these we hope to achieve through postgraduate students research, seminars, workshops and conferences. We hope to have a quantum of publications on the issues mentioned.

You are supposed to focus on African oramedia and the modern media using African languages is there a future for African languages?

There is future for African languages as long as the speakers of the languages still live. Even though we are in the age of globalisation, diversity is still imperative. Language is the single most characteristic of any people. So, as long as we do not want to lose our identity, we cannot wish away our languages. Any language can be used for anything as long as we are ready to develop it. In Ethiopia today, Amharic is the dominant language, over and above English language. It is the major language of government, business and the media.

What is your view of how new media is used in Africa?

There has been a huge penetration of new media in Africa and it is still rising. From the simple mobile phones to the most complex of the new media technologies, Africans are doing reasonably well. It is hoped that the use could be better with more broad bandwidth and better adoption of the innovation by more people. Many people are still not into the culture of the internet, but we do hope there will be a change for the better. I am particularly glad that quite a reasonable number of people, particularly the youth, are on the social media.

Why did you relocate to South Africa?

I relocated to South Africa because of the better infrastructures in the country. Today, it has the best infrastructures on the continent; certain aspects of these, some people call world class. The research environment is also an attraction. There are motivations and facilities for research.

What is the difference between being a lecturer in South Africa and Nigeria?

This goes back to my last statement. The infrastructures and facilities are there to enable you do your work without much hassles. Colleagues in the Sciences appreciate this better as they require certain equipment and facilities in their laboratories to do their work. For us in the Humanities, we appreciate more the abundant online resources that we have to do our work. Provision of basic office facilities is also appreciated.

What do you miss about Nigeria?

I miss the culture of our people. I miss the culture of respect for elders, of appreciation of good deeds, of communalism and of industry. I miss listening to high standard Yoruba on certain radio/television programmes and movies. I also miss our foods –amala, ewedu, yam, fried plantain etc.

Have you experienced any form of xenophobia during your stay in South Africa?

I won’t say I haven’t, but in a subtle way. Such things do not really bother me much because I know there is xenophobia, tribalism, racism all over the world. As long as we are different in one form or the other, there will always be discrimination. I believe there is a kind of xenophobia that is pervasive everywhere in the world – people would definitely want to protect the interest of their own against the ‘outsiders’. Even in Nigeria, an Igbo man may not have priority over a Yoruba man in a Yoruba community. The same goes for a Yoruba man in Igbo land or a Hausa man in Urhobo land and on and on. The only times it becomes a problem is when it takes the form of violence, that is when resentment against the outsiders is expressed in violence. That was what happened in South Africa in May 2008 when a number of foreigners were killed. This has remained a dent on the image of the country and that tag of xenophobia has remained till today. Apart from this, I believe we also need to avoid any kind of xenophobia that is scandalous. There is a limit to which one can go in sacrificing merit for ethnic affinity or whatever.

How would you describe living in South Africa?

It is a more organised living.

What has Nigeria got to learn from South Africa?

It is not for no reason that certain South African universities remain the top universities in Africa. Nigeria can learn organisation of higher education from South Africa. Research is a priority in South Africa and there is huge provision of funds to facilitate, motivate and incentivize it. Many of our colleagues in Nigeria do not have (regular) opportunities to attend international conferences, but this is what an average lecturer in South Africa takes for granted.

We can also do better with little or no disruption in our academic calendars as a result of staff strikes. Since I came here, I have not heard of staff (either academic or non-academic) going on strike. May be, we can just say such is rare here. Of course, there are grievances but they hardly result into industrial actions. I guess we need to find a way of managing conflict in our public institutions. This requires sincerity. The campuses in South Africa are much more peaceful than our own campuses. The fear of student cultism is remote. Even when students go on strike, it is not usually prolonged; and the grievances may be about lack of study loans. There was a time when students at University of Fort Hare demonstrated and one of the things they were demonstrating about was lack of internet in their residences.

Nigeria may also learn appreciation of indigenous languages from South Africans. It is still a paradox to me that peoples who were subjugated for decades under apartheid system refuse to surrender their languages. The long period of colonization affected some other aspects of their culture but really not their languages. In fact, universities here make use of African languages of their respective domains in their corporate symbols – websites, letterheads, signboards etc. This, I believe, is due to the national language policy which Nigeria can benefit from.

ShareTweet+ 1Mail
Previous Post Next Post
14 Responses

Sunday
January 27, 2013
Academics is treated as non granter in Nigeria. And all those facilities mentioned by Professor is a privilege in Nigerian educational institutions! One thing that was missing in the questions & answers is the ethics in educational institutions. Here in SA, you can change you any of your supervisors if you feel you cannot work together and produce any meaningful progress. Any student that tries that in Nigeria will not only be dealt with psychologically, but should take a good advice to withdraw from that institution and probably move far away from the area because of the ring-caucus phenomenon in Nigeria educational system. It is shameful to note that some Nigerian lecturers in SA still display such over-bearing tendencies, though not to South African but to their fellow Nigerians here.

Lawrence Ifo
January 27, 2013
If they display it,report them and they will be dealt with.Don’t allow any Nigeria to apply their negative tendencies on you in SA no matter their position.

Emmah
January 31, 2013
This message is a very big lesson to Nigerian Government. Any country that wants to forge ahead technologically must not ignore research, up grading of schools, and motivation of lecturers to boast their morale. SA African ways of doing things is more appreciable than ours, they protects masses interest more than personal interest unlike Nigerians. They also don’t shield any corrupt leader. They have focused judiciary and treats every body equally.

Julius Joel
February 11, 2013
You tell a big lie about judiciary. The media, the security forces and the judiciary in SOuth Africa are big weapon of xenophobia.

AKWARAIKE.
January 31, 2013
Nigeria can never be like south africa in another 100 years to come because tit is an evil entity !

One nnwa?
February 2, 2013
hahahaahh What Nigeria should learn from South Africa is that our politicians should stop travelling to other countries to Bleep girls and give them $20,000 for a roud of Bleep..hahahah they did it very well during Nigeria’s celebration of golden jubilee…%0 years annivesary…hahahha all the politicians that went to Malaysia got chinese ladies…these ladies were brought in a white commuter bus…I know the name of the hotel…they gave these girls $35,000 for one night…I don’t know how many nights they spent..hahahahahh

Obinna kalu
February 5, 2013
Prof. Salawu’s words are very challenging.How I wish leaders in Nigeria can just listen.We have the required human and material resources to be the best organised nation in Africa but corruption cannot allow us to be.Anyway nothing is impossible for God to do.The incoming REVOLUTION will sweep all those enemies of progress out of their offices.Then the likes of Prof. Salawu can begin to return home and enjoy their amala and gbegiri.God help Nigeria!We miss u Prof.

Julius Joel
February 11, 2013
All that glitters is not gold. I will not advice any Nigerian to just take everything that Mr Salawu said as gospel truth. He just came, by the time he is five years on the job he will sing a different tune. I have spent more than five years at UKZN and can testify to the attitude of Indians to foreigners

ej ohwodiame
February 16, 2013
Our leaders are killing us in Nigeria, God please free us from the hand of devil called nigeria leader. I feel like starting school all over again in South Africa. Imagine protesting lack of internet facility in the hostel, or changing your supervisor.

jOE
February 18, 2013
South Africa was ruled by white people for centuries . South Africa aparthied ended some 35 years ago or little more with the help of Nigeria. and few others developed world. .South Africa ahead nigeria as colony over 100 years under briitsh rule. Nigeria poised to lead the continent after south africa economy fall. Theres no magic behind south Africa infrastructure nigeria cannot surpass if corrupption attack head on .Nigeria problems are numerous start from political, religion, and corruption .It was just revealed the former chairman of pension fund suspect had escaped from nigeria to where? . As long those high level criminals recieve no capital purnishment development and growth remain very fragile . In the event nigeria surpass south africa economically in the next few years it would be short lived because some part of northern nigeria not adding to the economic value but setting the country backward and because of myopic islamic religious belief and lack of good goverance of the people believe other region should move at their pace which not possible because it was tried and failed.The same leaders when in power introduced quoter system, federal character and many other useless measure to catch up with the south but things didnt workout because the region dependant too much on federal government and to continually spoonfed .Because of the desparity and iliteracy level poverty contnue to ravage many part of the region today. Finally cultuture and religion play important regressive role in the region for example in a situation where young girls 8- 10 year old got married to older men without consider her education future is a crime to humanity. The boys usually force out the house to roam the street for money, food and become full fledge beggers year after year.These problems started centuries ago in the name of islamic religion in the northern nigeria and had caught up with the few elite minority in the region. Many other west African muslim countries north Africa middle east had no deplorable situation as nearly as northern nigeria and something is seriously wrong with these people.. Theres an adage which simply says train your child so it will give you peace. HAUSA / FULANIS BORNU parents failed to do what is expected of them as a parents and now crying wolf that the presidency should come back to the north after more than 40 years rule without anything to show . Are you people even think? Just for a record purpose its not too late the leaders in the region to come together and to addressing the problems including traditional leaders and stop shift blame at the federal government Boko haram crises Should be the first agenda on the table if the region really want to move forward and because the region leaders knew all the members of B,H who started the senseless activities and all them are within your finger tips. Democracy has come to stay in nigeria where the best and qualified candidate to rule the country not just bunch of stark iliterate . Nigerians elecorate wake up .

Abba Sani
February 24, 2013
My friend Joe you are typical sentimental, you are part of nigeria’s problem, could you remember the damage your parents of Biafra civil war coursed. What about MEND. You people claimed to be literate but your hidden ignorants. Arm robbery and kidnapping are notebly introduced by southners. Think wisely joe. And even the crises in the north are masterpiece of C. A. N

OneManSquad
February 27, 2013
what has Joe’s parent or even the Biafran war got to do with the arguement? you are one of the bad eggs that spoils the image of your Ethnicity. be wise my man!

AKIN
March 14, 2013
This guy is brain dead. Needs no reply. We need a constitution that will seperate the chiecken from the dove.
We owe the North nothing, they will sort themself out.

Abba Sani
February 24, 2013
Joe your really sentimental and a hidden ignorant. What about Biafran Civil war and that looting MEND. And most of crises in the North are planned by C. A. N
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GidiNaijaPikin: 6:24pm On Jul 13, 2013
CraigB:

Of course it's the wrong equipment for our nation. We would never allow the government to use it. It will never fly over Joburg or Cape Town. South Africa isn't a ghetto that flies balloons over its cities.

For want of something to say, you keep embarrasing yourself.
It's quite an interesting trait for a growing kid like you!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 6:26pm On Jul 13, 2013
GidiNaijaPikin:

For want of something to say, you keep embarrasing yourself.
It's quite an interesting trait for a growing kid like you!

There's no substance in what you just said grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GidiNaijaPikin: 6:32pm On Jul 13, 2013
CraigB:

Show me a single university in the world that does not have international professors?

Fact is Naai-geria loses it's professionals to better countries, because it is useless. Professionals from Naai-gerian would rather go elsewhere. How many of your doctors and professors do you lose to better countries?

Just recently, you tried to argue that our better trained army personnel get poached by other countries. So, by your logic, these South African army personnel are going to help build these useless countries they get poached to? [color=#990000][/color]

You don't know how to debate! grin grin

Here's what your professor has to say about the better country that is South Africa grin

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/online-special/what-nigeria-should-learn-from-south-africa/

I am posting the whole thing plus the comments, before you try to ignore it:

‘What Nigeria should learn from South Africa’
January 26, 2013 at 4:08 pm
Written by Lekan

All the copy and paste was needless. However, you have tacitly just proved that Nigeria's homegrown, home-trained, and world-class academic and skilled "professionals" run the show in South Africa, yet your 33% brains continue to guide you in self-denial and condescending talk about universities in Nigeria and the rest of Africa.

Keep maintaining the buildings for us!!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GidiNaijaPikin: 6:34pm On Jul 13, 2013
CraigB:

There's no substance in what you just said grin

... Says the deluded owner of a brain built to maximum 33% capacity.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 6:34pm On Jul 13, 2013
GidiNaijaPikin:

You never stop to outdo yourself just as you always fail to address/rebut the salient points instead choosing to digress.

Point is ... SA's nice university buildings are meant for the hot brains and intellectual minds from outside of South Africa to help improve the your local dull brains from its current 33% levels. You fail to address the perennial teachers strikes across South Africa and the books delivery failure of your education sector managers to the Limpopo Province -- one of the dullest population centres in South Africa.

Nigeria is never in short supply of academic/intellectual manpower ... they come-off the production line every year and get introduced to the system via our profound NYSC Corp programme.

We can take this further! Try again.

NYSC produces 300,000 fresh nigerian graduates every year. no shortage of smart brains. some other 'big' africa countries depend on educated immigrants to come and sustain their 'more adavnced' country where mathematics and science is a difficult mountain for its citizens to climb grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 6:37pm On Jul 13, 2013
GidiNaijaPikin:

All the copy and paste was needless. However, you have tacitly just proved that Nigeria's homegrown, home-trained, and world-class academic and skilled "professionals" run the show in South Africa, yet your 33% brains continue to guide you in self-denial and condescending talk about universities in Nigeria and the rest of Africa.

Keep maintaining the buildings for us!!

Of course it's useless to you because it hurts your feelings.

Did you read what the professor said? That should answer all your questions about why there are Naai-gerian professors in South Africa, even though your country is in dire need of same.

Even on the doctors sides, Naai-geria exports doctors to other countries when you actually so not have doctors grin

That's because Naai-geria is useless.

Look at you. You're in Hillbrow yourself. And you aren't even a doctor! grin grin You've been exported pout of Naai-geria. Despite your lack of skill.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 6:38pm On Jul 13, 2013
GidiNaijaPikin:

... Says the deluded owner of a brain built to maximum 33% capacity.

Ok, you've become a one-liner. I've come to predict you. You've lost.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 6:41pm On Jul 13, 2013
agaugust:

NYSC produces 300,000 fresh nigerian graduates every year. no shortage of smart brains. some other 'big' africa countries depend on educated immigrants to come and sustain their 'more adavnced' country where mathematics and science is a difficult mountain for its citizens to climb grin

No shortage of smart brains, you say. Well, show us were these "smart brains" prefer working in Naai-geria. They get brain-drained out, because of the uselessness f the Naai-gerian system.

Anyway, you've become a cheer leader on the subject grin

I should go eat. My job is done here kiss
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GidiNaijaPikin: 6:49pm On Jul 13, 2013
CraigB:

I repeat- governments do spy. The trick is to find finesse. Please - do us all a favour and find a South African who celebrates being spied on like your backward Naai-gerian lot do. Just one South African please.

You mail & guardian article proves my point. South Africans don't take kindly to being spied on willy-nilly.Our media exposes it and we have the opportunity to confront government. So, yes - thank you for the article. The very South African article cool. We can all agree, that given the article alone, the SA government couldn't get away with a balloon over Joburg.

That how civilised nations respond to warrantless spying. But noooo, not in Naai-geria! Citizens themselves say : "we'll done government! Please fly a balloon over us and spy on us". They celebrate it.

The fact that Naai-geria cannot find a more civilise way to deal with its perceived threats is an indictment to the country. The fact that your Naai-gerians celebrate the barbaric zeppelin balloon is an indictment to all Naai-gerians.

Oh, please make up your mind. Decide whether the balloon is a space thing or spy thing. Do let us know.

Before I forget, your 33% quip has long lost its potency. You need another one.

So the American forces in Afghanistan that have also applied a similar device lack finesse because CraigB thinks/says so? You don't take kindly to being spied on ... cannot stop being spied, and yet continue to spy on others.

This quote is from the report the had a very apt title: Spy wars: South Africa is not innocent

"And, much like the United States, South Africa spies on its own citizens illegally, and continues to do so despite knowing the spying cannot be justified under the Constitution. That includes listening in on the conversations had by specific people, supposedly individuals who require watching, but also extends to the bulk harvesting of information about law-abiding citizens – with little to nothing in the way of oversight or assurances that the data will not be misused, and a history of exactly such misuse"

http://mg.co.za/article/2013-06-21-00-spy-wars-south-africa-is-not-innocent

Don't come here acting embarrassingly stupid!

Finally, as long as you have failed to deny the 33% benchmark pass for your matriculating kith and kin ... by your own admission it has made the desired impact ... and continues to do so very potently. For once CraigB speaks the truth ... unknowingly!

Now go home to mummy!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 6:55pm On Jul 13, 2013
GidiNaijaPikin:

Another poor attempt at being a comedian! You sound desperately eager to get a free beer from me! Pathetic fellow calling his piggy-bank/coin box a bank. My children have better bank balances to show.

I no fit laugh abeg!

Your children miss daddy. Thats the only thing you should be worried about, not me buying agustine a ticket. Im sure they cant wait 4 you to arrive at OR Thambo.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GidiNaijaPikin: 7:00pm On Jul 13, 2013
CraigB:

No shortage of smart brains, you say. Well, show us were these "smart brains" prefer working in Naai-geria. They get brain-drained out, because of the uselessness f the Naai-gerian system.

Again you coyly agree silently that the brains from Nigeria are in hot demand ... which speaks to the quality of output of Nigeria universities ... something the so-called university rankings fail to figure out.

Yes, go eat so you can replenish your wasted energy! It must be such hard labour responding to the high-level debates here. Dammit ... it's your low brain capacity that's causing the rapid energy drain!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GidiNaijaPikin: 7:08pm On Jul 13, 2013
saengine:

Your children miss daddy. Thats the only thing you should be worried about, not me buying agustine a ticket. Im sure they cant wait 4 you to arrive at OR Thambo.

Humour me some more young man! You seriosuly could earn yourself a career in comedy at this rate! No! I'll arrive via the Airforce Base near Pretoria. Let me know ... I can have the beer you're dying for delivered to an address of your choice! Such is the desperation of a South African comedian. Just name your brand.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GidiNaijaPikin: 7:11pm On Jul 13, 2013
CraigB:

It must hurt you so deeply whenever I reduce you to just one line!
Okay ... here's a second line. Like it now?

Chei! No be small thing o!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 7:18pm On Jul 13, 2013
CraigB:

I said show me a civilised nation that has spy balloons hover over their own populations!

if you don't mind me asking. What is the difference between using a sky balloon for intels and the Prism program america abd britain runs?
What are the similarities between spy balloon and a satelite?
There are diferences so i expect an aswer to prove you are not really S.TUPID
these civilized countries can't run a spy balloon because what they operate is far more sophisticated than it.

Guy, if they didn't have such tech. They would rely on spy balloons you DUMYMY
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by HezronLorraine(m): 7:19pm On Jul 13, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GidiNaijaPikin: 7:23pm On Jul 13, 2013
agaugust:

True talk my brother!

And for real South Africans get scholarships to study DJ-ing! No brains for the hard maths and science stuff.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 13, 2013
GidiNaijaPikin:

True talk my brother!

And for real South Africans get scholarships to study DJ-ing ! No brains for the hard maths and science stuff.

sad but true grin . They call it sound engineering
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Fynline(m): 7:29pm On Jul 13, 2013
Special Forces

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 13, 2013
CraigB:

I like how you always put these boko goats in their place, I knew sooner or later they'd start with the usual we got the best brains in Africa crap.
Here's a nairalander discussing the arrogance of Nigerians

I’ve observed Nigerians are incredibly
arrogant and I’m often left wondering
what makes this conceited posturing
justifiable. I was reading a thread
yesterday enquiring as to why South
Africans and Ghanaians hate
Nigerians and the predictable
response from several delusional
people was the usual rhetoric about
how everyone envies us and what
not. I think many of us have to start
appreciating a few home truths:
1) Nigeria is one of the most
impoverished nations on the planet
and ranks extremely low on every
single index measuring standard of
living and development. We generally
only out-perform war-torn or drought
ravaged countries like Sudan, Somalia,
Eritrea etc.
2) No foreigner who appreciates
order and security would love to come
to a country like Nigeria. Expatriates in
this country are some of the highest
paid in the world because of the
adverse, hazardous working
conditions.
3) Being an overpopulated,
lumbering, befuddled giant doesn’t
make us the “giant of Africa”. I don’t
see why any sensible person should
brag about our population as some
kind of virtue – else we may as well
claim to be greater than every country
in Europe simply cos we pop out kids
like rabbits putting greater strain on
scarce resources. What makes this
line of reasoning even worse is that
we are a contrived product of our
colonial masters who have left us with
a big socio-political challenge to
surmount. Our size is probably more
an inhibitive hindrance than an
advantage to thump our chests
about.
4) We’re not smarter or richer or
better looking than the countries we
flood with all our vices. It’s hilarious,
pretentious, delusional, wishful
thinking. Little separates the average
Southern Nigerian from the average
Ghanaian or Cameroonian or Ivorian
or the average Northern Nigerian
from the average Nigerien or
Senegalese or Sudanese etc. Any
pretentions to the contrary is just
subscribing to the delusion that
makes us loathed outside these
shores.
5) We’re a society as mediocre as they
come and applaud mediocrity from
the banal music of D’banj to our
embarrassing movie industry to the
mediocre politicians we love to cheer
for the most mundane
accomplishments.
Basically, there’s absolutely nothing
spectacular about us and our
insufferable arrogance is totally
unjustified and contributes to why
citizens of many other countries find
us totally contemptible. When you
think of France, you think of well aged
Bordeaux wine, high fashion and
couture, romance, beautiful cities etc;
when you think of Italy, you’re thinking
of great cuisine, beautiful ancient
cities of Venice, Florence, Rome, great
art, opera etc; when Nigeria is heard
around the world, people think of
scammers and frauds, drug pushers,
venal, avaricious politicians, exported
prostitutes etc.
That’s why we’re blacklisted from
utilizing certain web services, that’s
why we’re humiliated and rejected in
every embassy. I never subscribe to
stereotype and judge everyone on
their merits as individuals but I’d like
to see a little humility and
acknowledgement of our failures as a
nation rather than the rabid chest
thumping. It’s the first step to making
progress.
And for the record, I’m a full-blooded
Anambrarian pointing out some plain
facts rather than a foreigner on the
attack. Personal/national pride is one
thing (however misguided); unbridled
arrogance and hubris is on a whole
different scale.

www.nairaland.com/898486/hate-arrogance-nigerians
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 13, 2013
zetdee:

I like how you always put these boko goats in their place, I knew sooner or later they'd start with the usual we got the best brains Africa crap.
Here's a nairalander discussing the arrogance of Nigerians

I’ve observed Nigerians are incredibly
arrogant and I’m often left wondering
what makes this conceited posturing
justifiable. I was reading a thread
yesterday enquiring as to why South
Africans and Ghanaians hate
Nigerians and the predictable
response from several delusional
people was the usual rhetoric about
how everyone envies us and what
not. I think many of us have to start
appreciating a few home truths:
1) Nigeria is one of the most
impoverished nations on the planet
and ranks extremely low on every
single index measuring standard of
living and development. We generally
only out-perform war-torn or drought
ravaged countries like Sudan, Somalia,
Eritrea etc.
2) No foreigner who appreciates
order and security would love to come
to a country like Nigeria. Expatriates in
this country are some of the highest
paid in the world because of the
adverse, hazardous working
conditions.
3) Being an overpopulated,
lumbering, befuddled giant doesn’t
make us the “giant of Africa”. I don’t
see why any sensible person should
brag about our population as some
kind of virtue – else we may as well
claim to be greater than every country
in Europe simply cos we pop out kids
like rabbits putting greater strain on
scarce resources. What makes this
line of reasoning even worse is that
we are a contrived product of our
colonial masters who have left us with
a big socio-political challenge to
surmount. Our size is probably more
an inhibitive hindrance than an
advantage to thump our chests
about.
4) We’re not smarter or richer or
better looking than the countries we
flood with all our vices. It’s hilarious,
pretentious, delusional, wishful
thinking. Little separates the average
Southern Nigerian from the average
Ghanaian or Cameroonian or Ivorian
or the average Northern Nigerian
from the average Nigerien or
Senegalese or Sudanese etc. Any
pretentions to the contrary is just
subscribing to the delusion that
makes us loathed outside these
shores.
5) We’re a society as mediocre as they
come and applaud mediocrity from
the banal music of D’banj to our
embarrassing movie industry to the
mediocre politicians we love to cheer
for the most mundane
accomplishments.
Basically, there’s absolutely nothing
spectacular about us and our
insufferable arrogance is totally
unjustified and contributes to why
citizens of many other countries find
us totally contemptible. When you
think of France, you think of well aged
Bordeaux wine, high fashion and
couture, romance, beautiful cities etc;
when you think of Italy, you’re thinking
of great cuisine, beautiful ancient
cities of Venice, Florence, Rome, great
art, opera etc; when Nigeria is heard
around the world, people think of
scammers and frauds, drug pushers,
venal, avaricious politicians, exported
prostitutes etc.
That’s why we’re blacklisted from
utilizing certain web services, that’s
why we’re humiliated and rejected in
every embassy. I never subscribe to
stereotype and judge everyone on
their merits as individuals but I’d like
to see a little humility and
acknowledgement of our failures as a
nation rather than the rabid chest
thumping. It’s the first step to making
progress.
And for the record, I’m a full-blooded
Anambrarian pointing out some plain
facts rather than a foreigner on the
attack. Personal/national pride is one
thing (however misguided); unbridled
arrogance and hubris is on a whole
different scale.

www.nairaland.com/898486/hate-arrogance-nigerians
look who's talking about arrogance lipsrsealed
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 13, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Fynline(m): 7:35pm On Jul 13, 2013
Mali

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 13, 2013
Fynline: Special Forces

Beautiful. I haven't seen this one before.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 13, 2013
Fynline: Mali

Special forces in mali.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 13, 2013
CraigB:

baseless posts as usual
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jul 13, 2013
Mali operations, malian, french and chadian forces

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GidiNaijaPikin: 7:45pm On Jul 13, 2013
CraigB:

And suddenly when pinned to a corner (seemingly by a simple one-liner) you conveniently drop your ranting about "warrantless spying methods"? Show more grit and spine boy!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 7:48pm On Jul 13, 2013
CraigB:
Now, all you people that have been celebrating this supposed balloon have been telling us about its range and how it helps to spy over large territories. Not so?
a spy balloon falls under warrantless spying methods.

first of all, we are happy about it becuase so far it has assisted our operatives in fighting insurgencies a lot. And we were told before the operation was launched and what it would be launched for.

This raises the question whether you know the meaning of ''warrantless'' if you can condemn an operation that was widely accepted by the populace and praise the one that does worst and was done without public support.

You always talk before you think and in an effort to correct your fooli*shness you confuse yourself even more.

You are a S.TUPID kid and you need to grow up.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GidiNaijaPikin: 8:57pm On Jul 13, 2013
To finally put the envy of South Africans -- AndrewZA, Mike..ZA, SAEngine, CraigB and crew to shame with regards to Nigeria's President and Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces - President Goodluck Jonathan's constitutional right to wear his nice-fitting uniform ... Can these same South Africans explain why civilian lady Lindiwe Sisulu pictured below is dressed in Military uniform as an ordinary Minister of Defence and not the spineless president Jacob Zuma?

[img]http://news.iafrica.com/assets/13/1119/160012/577500.JPEG[/img]

[img]http://cdn.mg.co.za/crop/content/images/2012/06/13/Lindiwe-and-JZ.jpg/676x380/[/img]

So much for the NO civilian in army uniforms blabbing! Hopefully, our ever comical CraigB can help provide us with at least a basis for this weak military command hierarchy. This definitely clearly points to the disorganised lines of command/order/communication within SA's highly unionised and indiscpline SANDF. These pictures show how casual serious military business is handled.

Can someone give those fat SANDF trio in the background a round of applause.

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 9:03pm On Jul 13, 2013
GidiNaijaPikin:

Again you coyly agree silently that the brains from Nigeria are in hot demand .!

Let's see, Africa exports football players to Europe. Therefore, African football is much better than European football? Naai-gerian logic.

undecided

No. Better emoticon. - grin

Naai-gerians lost in the middle of a debate.

The point is you are in dire need of professionals grin

But you cannot hold on to your professionals. They prefer to go to better countries. Better countries, being South Africa, the Uk, the US etc.

Answer me this: Why can you not attract international professionals at the same level? . You do have shortages, don't you?

You know why? Your system is useless and has no foundations. So people leave you and you cannot plug the holes. Brain drain. Even you, All4NAija are in South Africa. Who is building naai-geria while you are in South Africa. Certainly not Agaugust.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 9:09pm On Jul 13, 2013
chris365:

first of all, we are happy about it becuase so far it has assisted our operatives in fighting insurgencies a lot. And we were told before the operation was launched and what it would be launched for.

This raises the question whether you know the meaning of ''warrantless'' if you can condemn an operation that was widely accepted by the populace and praise the one that does worst and was done without public support.

You always talk before you think and in an effort to correct your fooli*shness you confuse yourself even more.

You are a S.TUPID kid and you need to grow up.

The balloon has assisted you? Please show us where the Zeppelin balloon has assisted you "a lot"? Please, we beg you. grin I know we will not get an answer.

It is clear who doesn't know what "warrantless spying" means.

For a "smart" person, you sure know how to lose your way in debates.

I repeat. There is no civilised democracy that will support a Zeppelin balloon flying over its cities. Not one. Only Naai-gerians are happy with such a proposal because there is no civilisation there.

So, enough talking - show us where the Zeppelin balloon has assisted you. Please. cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.