Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (243) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306999 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 12:31pm On Nov 27, 2019
Lexusgs430:

I remember this too well, part of that £3000 i saved you..... Send me £1000.00........ grin

Ayam greedy......... smiley
That won't be a problem at all. I can easily pay its worth in stock fish if you want cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:35pm On Nov 27, 2019
Southsky:

That won't be a problem at all. I can easily pay its worth in stock fish if you want cheesy

Okporoko of £1000? Haba, this your trade by barter method, is tantamount to making my whole house smell....... cheesy

We shall be having an Okporoko parry.......... cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:37pm On Nov 27, 2019
Southsky:

Lol, someone must have said that about you at some other location, trust me. The day you pursued me from that other thread and saved me from that mistake eh, I know say no be all heroes dey wear cape. In fact wifey asked me one day, how much do those guys on NL charge (she's not familiar with NL at all)... I just smiled and told her it's FOC shocked

We're the Pro Bono institute..... Seun should be the one paying us..... Maybe he is kúkú paying, but justwise is not telling us.......... cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 27, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Okporoko of £1000? Haba, this you trade by barter method, is tantamount to making my whole house smell....... cheesy

We shall be having an Okporoko parry.......... cheesy
grin grin I have neither silver nor gold, but what I have...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 12:43pm On Nov 27, 2019
ornicus:

Hey man! Long time! How's it going? How and where is sisikill/babyjinx and what is she doing these days?

smiley

All well Alhamdulilah, just hiding in the saner sections of NL nowadays! many member metamorphed into usernames or log in as guests and read in peace grin so very difficult to keep track
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 12:44pm On Nov 27, 2019
Southsky:

Na to dey smell like stock fish around hospital ward be that.

Congrats bro. Welcome to the land of milk and honey grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 12:57pm On Nov 27, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

Na to dey smell like stock fish around hospital ward be that.

Congrats bro. Welcome to the land of milk and honey grin
Thanks a lot bro
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 1:14pm On Nov 27, 2019
Southsky:
Hello everyone,

I want to thank everyone on this thread for the amazing job you are doing. You guys help thousands of people without even knowing it.

My process was successful without stress and I just landed in the UK. Special thanks to Justwise and Lexusgs430 - I was even applying for the wrong visa if not for their guidance and they kept assisting me through out the process. Special thanks to fatima04, Hunnybee and Uglyduckling for answering my questions when I needed assistance. May God bless you all abundantly.

Short story:
On my way from Obalende some time last month, a random guy's phone rang, he picked up and after listening for a while (the caller was somewhat distressed), he said "calm down, calm down, everything will be alright. Don't send any money to any agent, I will ask Justwise on [b]our forum to know if it's true and let you know once he replies".
I smiled because I knew it could only be one Justwise. He has saved more hearts than any heart surgeon can imagine cheesy[/b]

To everyone who contributes on this thread, just know that you are helping lots of people out there and on behalf of all those who never came back to appreciate you all, I say THANK YOU!! As you help in making people's dreams come true, may everything you lay your hands upon prosper without limits and may all your dreams com true.

Congratulations bro! I'm happy for you and your family.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 1:16pm On Nov 27, 2019
Lexusgs430:

We're the Pro Bono institute..... Seun should be the one paying us..... Maybe he is kúkú paying, but justwise is not telling us.......... cheesy

Send me your bank details or send it to Seun to receive my next pay on my behalf

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olalekank(m): 1:26pm On Nov 27, 2019
justwise:

Send me your bank details or send it to Seun to receive my next pay on my behalf
Where's your humour cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 1:35pm On Nov 27, 2019
Olalekank:

Where's your humour cheesy grin

Dude that was actually tongue in cheek comment, you failed to get that but managed to ask about my humour.?

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 27, 2019
justwise:

Congratulations bro! I'm happy for you and your family.

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:57pm On Nov 27, 2019
Lexusgs430:

But Oga, you must return to that Obalende, till you hear someone else say....... 'Don't pay any agent let me ask Lexusgs430'............... grin

Yours was in the UK on the new train to london Euston grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:03pm On Nov 27, 2019
Southsky:
Hello everyone,

I want to thank everyone on this thread for the amazing job you are doing. You guys help thousands of people without even knowing it.

My process was successful without stress and I just landed in the UK. Special thanks to Justwise and Lexusgs430 - I was even applying for the wrong visa if not for their guidance and they kept assisting me through out the process. Special thanks to fatima04, Hunnybee and Uglyduckling for answering my questions when I needed assistance. May God bless you all abundantly.

Short story:
On my way from Obalende some time last month, a random guy's phone rang, he picked up and after listening for a while (the caller was somewhat distressed), he said "calm down, calm down, everything will be alright. Don't send any money to any agent, I will ask Justwise on our forum to know if it's true and let you know once he replies".
I smiled because I knew it could only be one Justwise. He has saved more hearts than any heart surgeon can imagine cheesy

To everyone who contributes on this thread, just know that you are helping lots of people out there and on behalf of all those who never came back to appreciate you all, I say THANK YOU!! As you help in making people's dreams come true, may everything you lay your hands upon prosper without limits and may all your dreams com true.

Congratulations and welcome. Please keep updating us on settling in et al. All the best.

Also appreciating everyone dt contributes on the thread one way or another.. Never thought this page was going to grow this much when it first started.

Gods blessing on us all

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:56pm On Nov 27, 2019
Southsky:

Lol, someone must have said that about you at some other location, trust me. The day you pursued me from that other thread and saved me from that mistake eh, I know say no be all heroes dey wear cape. In fact wifey asked me one day, how much do those guys on NL charge (she's not familiar with NL at all)... I just smiled and told her it's FOC shocked

When we peruse/investigate further, some people feel our questions are too intrusive......

But some people have the habit of not been entirely honest, with their questions......... I wonder how they expect bespoke advice, to suit their real situations, when they have been economical with the truth .....

If you paid that £3K plus, it's a non refundable payment, you would have to pay again for the right visa route......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:57pm On Nov 27, 2019
fatima04:

Yours was in the UK on the new train to london Euston grin grin

HS2?...... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:58pm On Nov 27, 2019
justwise:
[/b]

Sent....... Kindly also back date other payments....... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 7:04am On Nov 28, 2019
Lexusgs430:

When we peruse/investigate further, some people feel our questions are too intrusive......

But some people have the habit of not been entirely honest, with their questions......... I wonder how they expect bespoke advice, to suit their real situations, when they have been economical with the truth .....

If you paid that £3K plus, it's a non refundable payment, you would have to pay again for the right visa route......
Bro, I don't even want to imagine what would've become of me if I had gone through such pain. I hope no one ever gets to experience that.

About people withholding info, I think they're probably trying to protect their identity, trust me this forum is popular and before you know it someone somewhere will start connecting your dots for you cheesy They just need to find better ways to remain anonymous.
Person wey go see doctor and no gree tell am everything wey dey worry am, na the person loss.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 28, 2019
fatima04:

Congratulations and welcome. Please keep updating us on settling in et al. All the best.

Also appreciating everyone dt contributes on the thread one way or another.. Never thought this page was going to grow this much when it first started.

Gods blessing on us all
Amen. Thanks a lot and I will keep sharing my experience. That's how it's done here, innit? grin *adjusts my fine Londoner winter scarf* grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:22am On Nov 28, 2019
Southsky:

Bro, I don't even want to imagine what would've become of me if I had gone through such pain. I hope no one ever gets to experience that.

About people withholding info, I think they're probably trying to protect their identity, trust me this forum is popular and before you know it someone somewhere will start connecting your dots for you cheesy They just need to find better ways to remain anonymous.
Person wey go see doctor and no gree tell am everything wey dey worry am, na the person loss.

Unfortunately, i understand their reasons. But if you act on advice and information, based on the half truths you posted........ You're on a long tin......

That person would still return and this time, be more sincere......

Whose time and money den waste? You know say we no get work..... We're always here........ cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 28, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Unfortunately, i understand their reasons. But if you act on advice and information, based on the half truths you posted........ You're on a long tin......

That person would still return and this time, be more sincere......

Whose time and money den waste? You know say we no get work..... We're always here........ cheesy
Lol @no get work. Speaking of work, do you recommend I register with agencies or just continue to apply to companies directly for IT jobs?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:50am On Nov 28, 2019
Southsky:

Lol @no get work. Speaking of work, do you recommend I register with agencies or just continue to apply to companies directly for IT jobs?

Does not matter who comot work, so long as work comot......

Put ur eggs in all baskets......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 28, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Does not matter who comot work, so long as work comot......

Put ur eggs in all baskets......... cheesy
Okay, thanks a milli
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mayluv(f): 10:46am On Nov 28, 2019
This thread is really a wealth of information and I have benefited significantly from the advice here, thanks to selfless people here who take out time to respond and help in any way they can.
I need help beautiful people. I have been in the UK for almost 6 months now and I have been trying to get a job without success. Initially I wanted a job in accounting field which I studied in school but at this point, I just want to earn income and create value. I have three years of banking operations and very little accounting experience as I barely worked 3 months in a finance company back in Nigeria.
I have attended several interviews too but always get the regret mail which honestly speaking is really depressing. What kind of jobs can you recommend that l look for now and where or how do I apply. I don't want to remain idle in this last month of the year please. I am on a tier 2 dependent visa.

Aphrodite007 Lexusgs430 fatima04 justwise and every other person. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:55am On Nov 28, 2019
mayluv:
This thread is really a wealth of information and I have benefited significantly from the advice here, thanks to selfless people here who take out time to respond and help in any way they can.
I need help beautiful people. I have been in the UK for almost 6 months now and I have been trying to get a job without success. Initially I wanted a job in accounting field which I studied in school but at this point, I just want to earn income and create value. I have three years of banking operations and very little accounting experience as I barely worked 3 months in a finance company back in Nigeria.
I have attended several interviews too but always get the regret mail which honestly speaking is really depressing. What kind of jobs can you recommend that l look for now and where or how do I apply. I don't want to remain idle in this last month of the year please. I am on a tier 2 dependent visa.

Aphrodite007 Lexusgs430 fatima04 justwise and every other person. Thanks in advance.

That you were able to get interview is a good sign that your Cv is at least acceptable. What your need to try is work on your delivery and how you sell yourself . ...because even if you change job sector , it still key that you sell yourself well to get into the door

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 11:09am On Nov 28, 2019
mayluv:

What little experience have you got in Accounting? What accounting softwares are you competent in even if its just basic? What about your excel level?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mayluv(f): 11:47am On Nov 28, 2019
LagosismyHome:

That you were able to get interview is a good sign that your Cv is at least acceptable. What your need to try is work on your delivery and how you sell yourself . ...because even if you change job sector , it still key that you sell yourself well to get into the door

Thanks for your input. I will work more on my ability to sell myself and improve my confidence. It is an area I know I am deficient in.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mayluv(f): 11:56am On Nov 28, 2019
Rubyventures:

What little experience have you got in Accounting? What accounting softwares are you competent in even if its just basic? What about your excel level?
I used quickbooks briefly while I worked at the finance company and I found it relatively easy in carrying out my responsibilities then. I need to use it more often to gain a total understanding of how it works fully. I have an average knowledge in excel too and can improve if I am to use it on a regular basis for reporting and analysis at work. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:09pm On Nov 28, 2019
mayluv:

If you want my honest opinion, i would suggest 2 things.....

What sort of visa do you have?

A top up course OR
Career change

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 12:38pm On Nov 28, 2019
mayluv:

I used quickbooks briefly while I worked at the finance company and I found it relatively easy in carrying out my responsibilities then. I need to use it more often to gain a total understanding of how it works fully. I have an average knowledge in excel too and can improve if I am to use it on a regular basis for reporting and analysis at work. Thank you

I'd suggest working on improving your Excel skills (many free tutorials on youtube/udemy/etc). Companies will train you to use their bespoke software if they hire you.
Also, the best tip is on selling yourself better, and showing the company how they need you in their organisation by telling them improvements you can make.
You should network more too. Speak to Nigerians who are well-employed and who have contacts. Seek and attend professional networking events and speak to recruiters, offline and online (especially linkedin).
You just have to persevere, don't get disillusioned and lose hope. It can be hard, I know. I've been through this process in Nigeria and in UK. *hugs*

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 2:31pm On Nov 28, 2019
mayluv:

What you need to do is register with a recruitment agency that specialises in accounting jobs e.g Reeds, hays etc if you are registered with the accounting body ACCA, they have got loads of jobs on their website. There are loads of accounting jobs out there, the easiest to get in are the accounting firms/practice. Also majority use sage, Xero is taking over the market, the very small ones might use QuickBooks. If you are good at QuickBooks you will be able to muddle your way through any accounting software.

Before you go for interviews, try and find out from the agents what software the company uses, then go on YouTube and try and get a grasp. You can also improve your excel skills by practising.

When you go for interviews, the less hesitations the better.

Good luck

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Broadenyourhori: 2:41pm On Nov 28, 2019
mayluv:

Okay, lets face it as it is.... You have no UK experience!. It may be a little bit difficult but not impossible and that's what you are experiencing now. The good news is - You get to the interview stage. So, It will benefit you if you can take the following steps:

1. Register as a student member of a professional body eg ACCA - To show progression
2. Do couple of hours a week unpaid work with a charity organisation. There you will learn to build your self confidence and understand the work culture.
3. Attend meetup groups - www.meetup.com. Socialise with like minded people in Accounting. You can get a job here with little effort. You will also learn about the industry.
4. Up skill yourself with latest accounting IT packages.
5. Don't lie on your CV. Only include what you know and can do. It one thing getting a job and another thing to deliver. Oyinbo will not hesitate to fire you.
6. Learn from past interviews. What are the common questions and what exactly are they looking for in terms of personality.
7. Give yourself some time. Too much rejections can be frustrating. You are already thinking of "Any" job. Prepare yourself and go for it when you are ready!

7 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.