Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,156 members, 7,815,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (325) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1305555 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (322) (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 6:20pm On May 31, 2020
fatima04:

Lol, egungun be careful oo. Wetin you dey find

Gallivanting my dear cheesy The weather can't go to waste.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:40pm On May 31, 2020
umarwy:
Ogas and Madams I hail oh

I wanted some information and tips regarding buying a home in the UK,

What are the mistakes I should avoid?

Is rent to buy and shared ownership as good as it looks??

Housing association, chain properties etc. Please any information is appreciated

My main reason for considering a mortgage is I am tired of paying rent.

Thank you in advance.

@justwise
@lagosismyhome
@stenon
@lexusgs430
@dustydee
@et al

RENT MONEY IS DEAD MONEY......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:43pm On May 31, 2020
umarwy:

Housing association, chain properties etc. Please any information is appreciated

Thank you in advance.

@justwise
@lagosismyhome
@stenon
@lexusgs430
@dustydee
@et al

If you financially can, avoid all those nonsensical schemes.......

Buy a FREEHOLD MORTGAGED PROPERTY + REPAYMENT MORTGAGE ONLY ......

6 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:47pm On May 31, 2020
umarwy:

Thank you in advance.

@justwise
@lagosismyhome
@stenon
@lexusgs430
@dustydee
@et al

If a job means switching country, rent it out (so someone else too can pay your mortgage).......... grin

NB : Your present landlord too, might be an expat............ cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 7:35pm On May 31, 2020
umarwy:

Thank you in advance.

@justwise
@lagosismyhome
@stenon
@lexusgs430
@dustydee
@et al

Do you mean Buy to rent?

Share ownership is not bad IF you see a good one..i mean one with a higher ownership share..50% up is good as it helps you staircase easily.

Check how many years left on the leasehold, 99yrs up is good else it has little or no resable value .

Check the service charge and google council tax band of that post code else you will be in for a shock.

Unless expressly permitted by the housing association..you are not allowed to rent out share ownership property until you have 100% ownership but you can resale

Register with Help To Buy first if approved then open lifetime isa as Help To Buy is closed now.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:39pm On May 31, 2020
justwise:

Do you mean Buy to rent?

Share ownership is not bad IF you see a good one..i mean one with a higher ownership share..50% up is good as it helps you staircase easily.

Check how many years left on the leasehold, 99yrs up is good else it has little or no resable value .

Check the service charge and google council tax band of that post code else you will be in for a shock.

Unless expressly permitted by the housing association..you are not allowed to rent out share ownership property until you have 100% ownership but you can resale

Register with Help To Buy first if approved then open lifetime isa as Help To Buy is closed now.

When it's time to staircase, you get a financial shock.......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:50pm On May 31, 2020
Who would believe in the very good old days, we had 0% deposit mortgage schemes...... tongue

Just pay your stamp duty and associated costs and move in......... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 7:59pm On May 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:

When it's time to staircase, you get a financial shock.......... grin

The same process..that is why its good to start with higher ownership share so that you don't have to staircase too many times
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:01pm On May 31, 2020
justwise:

The same process..that is why its good to start with higher ownership share so that you don't have to staircase too many times

Hence freehold and be 100% staircased at inception of the mortgage.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:12pm On May 31, 2020
umarwy:

Thank you in advance.

@justwise
@lagosismyhome
@stenon
@lexusgs430
@dustydee
@et al

Yes to buy buy buy.....as long as you have the finances for me it's much better. Even if it to start small and then buy bigger as the family grows. It still better than renting because of the potential built up equity

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:17pm On May 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Hence freehold and be 100% staircased at inception of the mortgage.....

There is a good reason why people go for Share ownership
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LuvlyIva(m): 8:32pm On May 31, 2020
Bourne007:
They are recognised. I've used for all my applications with no issues/questions whatsoever.

Hmmmm! Never heard of it in spouse visa application. You can ask any body
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:39pm On May 31, 2020
LuvlyIva:

Yes , it doea not have to be court marriage.

It can be a catholic church marriage as an example and in such cases you are given a certificate issued by the court or something. Not sure what its officially called and that is a valid marriage certificate.

Its valid in nigeria and valid to use in UK as well
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:

If you financially can, avoid all those nonsensical schemes.......

Buy a FREEHOLD MORTGAGED PROPERTY + REPAYMENT MORTGAGE ONLY ......
Explain this to me pls.

Also what do u mean by staircase....

Don't answer me with another parable pls grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 8:45pm On May 31, 2020
justwise:

Do you mean Buy to rent?

1. No rent to buy,
2. Thank you.
3. Not looking to rent the property out.
3 I have a help to buy ISA account thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 9:00pm On May 31, 2020
just to add...

please whats the consequence of one not being able to pay mortgage for maybe 1/2 months maybe cos of financial issues? will the house be immediately reposessed? any rules?

justwise:

Do you mean Buy to rent?

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:13pm On May 31, 2020
profemebee:
just to add...

please whats the consequence of one not being able to pay mortgage for maybe 1/2 months maybe cos of financial issues? will the house be immediately reposessed? any rules?

You have to discus this with your lender quickly and ask for time to clear up, some will be understanding else it will be accelerated

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:16pm On May 31, 2020
umarwy:

1. No rent to buy,
2. Thank you.

That is a good start, nothing wrong with it, low deposit, low monthly repayment and rent, leaving you with some money to invest in other things while you building up equity

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 9:20pm On May 31, 2020
LuvlyIva:

The catholic church gives two certificates on the day of your wedding...one paper church marriage certificate and a court marriage certificate accepted all over the world.

I think you should calm down so you can listen to advice from the right people...you are talking to too many people in your surroundings who sadly do not have the right info you need

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 9:23pm On May 31, 2020
Not sure if you misread. I've used in all my applications including dependant and spousal visas.

@bolded .. will ask myself first grin

LuvlyIva:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by gratefulme40: 9:23pm On May 31, 2020
fatima04:

If its on the list of partner countries, it should work fine could be delayed due to different timezone (working hours).

Their customer service is pretty good and you can chase up with that if any issues. Come gist us after grin grin

I no use again.... I had to use money gram. I no fit shout. It wasn’t gonna be a direct bank transfer. It was gonna be a pick up from their partner office. I jus say make I respect myself
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by gratefulme40: 9:30pm On May 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:
Who would believe in the very good old days, we had 0% deposit mortgage schemes...... tongue

Just pay your stamp duty and associated costs and move in......... cheesy

Hence forth you are “Baba/Papa Lexusgs430.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:51pm On May 31, 2020
sassysure:

Explain this to me pls.

Also what do u mean by staircase....

Don't answer me with another parable pls grin

Freehold vs leasehold

Freehold you own outrightly

Leasehold, renting with a swag over a period of time........

Also, if you do an interest only mortgage. Over the term of the mortgage, let's say 25 years. You would have only paid the interest and not the capital.....

So after 25 years, the capital would be due for payment. So you would either have to sell the house to repay the capital or hopefully kill a granny, to inherit her massive bank account or her financially liquid estates........ grin

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:56pm On May 31, 2020
profemebee:
just to add...

No. If one falls into financial hardship, don't bury your head....... Speak with your lender immediately.......

The banks would keep writing, but if one cannot still pay, after about 6 months (repossession is the only way out).....

NB : Even if you cannot pay the full mortgage, try and keep paying something towards it (in agreement with your lender)....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:11pm On May 31, 2020
profemebee:
just to add...

in america it is 120 days default , never really checked what UK terms was before foreclosure starts kicking but i would guess it would be similar

hopefully it never gets to that ....amen

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 10:14pm On May 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:

No. If one falls into financial hardship, don't bury your head....... Speak with your lender immediately.......

The banks would keep writing, but if one cannot still pay, after about 6 months (repossession is the only way out).....

NB : Even if you cannot pay the full mortgage, try and keep paying something towards it (in agreement with your lender)....

May I add that if your failure to pay is due to covid,you can get a payment holiday. Please discuss with your lender. I m not sure where I saw this though but I have read this
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:25pm On May 31, 2020
missjekyll:

May I add that if your failure to pay is due to covid,you can get a payment holiday. Please discuss with your lender. I m not sure where I saw this though but I have read this

Very true, but i was talking about generally.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Phenmeson(m): 10:54pm On May 31, 2020
Tobexin:
it really obvious your marriage is a sham one! You married her because you knew he had England Pali! But God don catch the woman got that Pali wuruwuru and I am damn sure she can’t fill in for you. If you wanna come to England to study it not a child play at all! You need close to 8 million. Can you affford that? Don’t think you can come to England and work to pay your school fees lol ko jo! You matter move on with your life. I don talk my own oo

Oga u dey para for the BroS oooo.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:01pm On May 31, 2020
gratefulme40:

Hence forth you are “Baba/Papa Lexusgs430.

Haba, e neva reach like that. Nah for paper i read am...... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Endlessgrace: 11:17pm On May 31, 2020
umarwy:

1. No rent to buy,
2. Thank you.

I’m a little confused, do you mean ‘help to buy’ or ‘rent to buy’? Cos they are are two different schemes.
Rent to buy is when you rent a new build at 80% rate for a maximum of 5 years. This is in place to help you save the 20% towards down payment when you are ready to buy a property.
‘Help to buy’ is when the govt substitute upto 25% of the value of a new property in order to augment your deposit/down payment. This will reduce the amount you’ll borrow from your mortgage provider and also help you get very good and competitive rates.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 11:22pm On May 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Freehold vs leasehold

Also, if you do an interest only mortgage. Over the term of the mortgage, let's say 25 years. You would have only paid the interest and not the capital.....

So after 25 years, the capital would be due for payment. So you would either have to sell the house to repay the capital or hopefully kill a granny, to inherit her massive bank account or her financially liquid estates........ grin
kiss kiss
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 11:31pm On May 31, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Freehold vs leasehold

Is interest only mortage still available for residential property ?..... that is like impossible to get if it even exist

(1) (2) (3) ... (322) (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.