Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (509) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1310311 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by uzo009: 11:18pm On Jan 03, 2021
Also, what is the cost of living like in the U.K? Including children's school fees, and other expenses? Is it so high and unbearable? I'd like to know how much I should be expecting to spend weekly/monthly
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by uzo009: 11:20pm On Jan 03, 2021
Haha I guess. But seeing as i haven't entered the area yet, I was expecting to be enlightened. It's a bold step I'm considering to take later this year. Make i know as e dey be
Lexusgs430:

Your best bet is to walk into loads of African shops, speak with the owners and pitch your idea..........

They are in a better position to guide/direct/mentor you.......

If i want to sell dog food, would be useless seeking ideas from cats............ grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by uzo009: 11:23pm On Jan 03, 2021
I see. I believe there's still some quota coming from Nigeria. I'm just looking for active work to make me some good money whilst I'm there part-time
LagosismyHome:

Maybe you target owners of African shop to get an idea..... I noticed a lot of nigerian food these days are coming more from Ghana than Nigeria. There must be a reason why price, quality control, difficulty etc.? I cant say why because it not my line .
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:00am On Jan 04, 2021
uzo009:
Also, what is the cost of living like in the U.K? Including children's school fees, and other expenses? Is it so high and unbearable? I'd like to know how much I should be expecting to spend weekly/monthly

If your kids have not attained University age, school fees is £0.00.................

For rent, bills feeding etc etc = £1500.00 pcm (safe budget)......

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 12:03am On Jan 04, 2021
uzo009:

This will depend on so many factors, where you plan to stay, work and age of the kids involved.

You don't pay fees for kids above 5 to 16 unless you want to go private. Also for kids below 5, nursery fees in London can be from £1k pounds per month while for a place in Midlands can be £660 to £750 per month.

All in all its not too bad if there is a reasonable source of income.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:33am On Jan 04, 2021
fatima04:

This will depend on so many factors, where you plan to stay, work and age of the kids involved.

You don't pay fees for kids above 5 to 16 unless you want to go private. Also for kids below 5, nursery fees in London can be from £1k pounds per month while for a place in Midlands can be £660 to £750 per month.

All in all its not too bad if there is a reasonable source of income.

Wow £660 .... chei london is really expensive ooo. £660 a month per child would have been fabulous for a twin mama
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Pegzzyg(f): 8:59am On Jan 04, 2021
Happy New Year all. Experienced seniors in the UK @Justwise et all... Please, I need your advise & suggestions as I don't want to make a mistake. I have a Half-Brother (same Father, Mother Nigerian & both resident in the UK) we don't talk per say, I am not sure the City he is now but he was born in the UK, England precisely! My Mom said he used to stay with us over 30 years ago while on Holidays in Nigeria.

My question now is if to declare him in my Tier 4 Application or not? I want to be very transparent in my Application but he has never acknowledged me as a Sibling, me too same, feeling is mutual, I'd say we are incommunicado & I don't even know the City he is now, we just don't talk....

Between, my Late Dad was also a British Citizen. What's your advise please? I would really anticipate & appreciate your inputs, guidance and suggestions.... Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 11:10am On Jan 04, 2021
Pegzzyg:
Happy New Year all. Experienced seniors in the UK @Justwise et all... Please, I need your advise & suggestions as I don't want to make a mistake. I have a Half-Brother (same Father, Mother Nigerian & both resident in the UK) we don't talk per say, I am not sure the City he is now but he was born in the UK, England precisely! My Mom said he used to stay with us over 30 years ago while on Holidays in Nigeria.

My question now is if to declare him in my Tier 4 Application or not? I want to be very transparent in my Application but he has never acknowledged me as a Sibling, me too same, feeling is mutual, I'd say we are incommunicado & I don't even know the City he is now, we just don't talk....

Between, my Late Dad was also a British Citizen. What's your advise please? I would really anticipate & appreciate your inputs, guidance and suggestions.... Thanks!

The answer is Yes you have/know someone in the UK but you are not in touch and you are not planning to visit the individual
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 12:12pm On Jan 04, 2021
Pegzzyg:

If it’s me I’d say No with my full chest. The fact that someone bears the same last name as you but in your own words is a brother in name only (not in deed) is not enough for me to declare on any Visa application. In fact it sounds like you’ve never spoken to him. Issa No for me. So under immediate family I’d say No. Under extended family/people I know I could say yes. And even here if mainly be referring to everyone else including him.

Ask yourself this, if the Visa office asks you to provide any information about him can you? The answer should be able to guide you.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Pegzzyg(f): 12:44pm On Jan 04, 2021
Thanks so much for your input on my inquiry, I appreciate...
Mamatukwas:

If it’s me I’d say No with my full chest. The fact that someone bears the same last name as you but in your own words is a brother in name only (not in deed) is not enough for me to declare on any Visa application. In fact it sounds like you’ve never spoken to him. Issa No for me. So under immediate family I’d say No. Under extended family/people I know I could say yes. And even here if mainly be referring to everyone else including him.

Ask yourself this, if the Visa office asks you to provide any information about him can you? The answer should be able to guide you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Pegzzyg(f): 12:48pm On Jan 04, 2021
Thanks so much for your input on my inquiry, I appreciate...
justwise:

The answer is Yes you have/know someone in the UK but you are not in touch and you are not planning to visit the individual
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dejol88: 12:53pm On Jan 04, 2021
Good afternoon, I need 100 pounds, who is selling?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 12:54pm On Jan 04, 2021
Is there any Nigerian foreign embassy that is actual professional and efficient, and not embarrassing itself and us? undecided

I've paid for my passport renewal since June 2020. I've tried multiple times to book. Yet up till now, the London High Commission has not given me a date for my biometrics. Outrageous behaviour.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by zeezaa(f): 12:58pm On Jan 04, 2021
Mamatukwas:

I have been trying to contact you on WhatsApp but no response
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:01pm On Jan 04, 2021
Mamatukwas:

Pegzzyg can get unto trouble for false declarations.... at the end of the day this is a biological sibling. You must not be in best terms with a family member neither do you have to love each other or talk to each other . Neither does the form state only relatives you are in best terms with

The question is straight forward. Do you have a relative in the UK. Yes or No . It is not a subjective question but a direct question which has only one truthful answer

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 1:09pm On Jan 04, 2021
zeezaa:

I have been trying to contact you on WhatsApp but no response

My apologies. I’m on a break till the 11th so I’m not really checking.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 1:11pm On Jan 04, 2021
LagosismyHome:

She can get unto trouble for false declarations.... at the end of the day this is a biological sibling. You must not be in best terms with a family member neither do you have to love each other or talk to each other . Neither does the form state only relatives you are in best terms with

The question is straight forward. Do you have a relative in the UK. Yes or No . It is not a subjective question but a direct question which has only one truthful answer

I understand. I’m only saying what I would do personally. If I don’t consider you a brother or sister I won’t declare it. That’s me.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:20pm On Jan 04, 2021
Mamatukwas:

Whether she never spoken to him/ seen him etc does not dismiss the fact that he is his brother and he lives in the UK. That is the fact.

Now does she know his address or city? No, is she going to visit him? No. Does she have to provide details of someone she is not visiting? No.

They may reconnect in future and she decided to visit him then the answer to this question becomes relevant.

Saying yes will cost her nothing but no has future implications.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 5:31pm On Jan 04, 2021
Good afternoon all,

Please is there any problem with using the date after your course start date as the date you intended to arrival UK during visa application.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 04, 2021
justwise:

Whether she never spoken to him/ seen him etc does not dismiss the fact that he is his brother and he lives in the UK. That is the fact.

Now does she know his address or city? No, is she going to visit him? No. Does she have to provide details of someone she is not visiting? No.

They may reconnect in future and she decided to visit him then the answer to this question becomes relevant.

Saying yes will cost her nothing but no has future implications.

What of someone who doesn't know they have siblings or a sibling in uk. There are families that don't know themselves but share same name.

Someone such a situation will it implicate them in the future?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Samgalaxy: 5:53pm On Jan 04, 2021
Can one survive with 700 pounds as student in the a place like Manchester, accommodation, feeding etc?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 6:29pm On Jan 04, 2021
Greetings,

Abeg aside from this Monzo, any other account one can open online and get card delivered to the house. The Monzo guys are yet to deliver the card and quarantine go finish tomorrow. They initially said it will be delivered between 30th n 3rd January, later I saw there was an adjustment to 31st to 4th. I want to assume it’s the holiday plus COVID. Now they are saying if I don’t receive it I should reorder another card. That’s gonna be another days again and I don’t think I can wait. I need to do some grocery/other shopping on Wednesday. If there is any bank that will let me open an account and get card instantly. I really need to have an account set up and funds transferred. Please i need suggestion for any bank in Glasgow that is ok and reasonable. Thanks

Ejo help a brother.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 6:41pm On Jan 04, 2021
Try revolut or Starling.
Chreze:
Greetings,

Abeg aside from this Monzo, any other account one can open online and get card delivered to the house. The Monzo guys are yet to deliver the card and quarantine go finish tomorrow. They initially said it will be delivered between 30th n 3rd January, later I saw there was an adjustment to 31st to 4th. I want to assume it’s the holiday plus COVID. Now they are saying if I don’t receive it I should reorder another card. That’s gonna be another days again and I don’t think I can wait. I need to do some grocery/other shopping on Wednesday. If there is any bank that will let me open an account and get card instantly. I really need to have an account set up and funds transferred. Please i need suggestion for any bank in Glasgow that is ok and reasonable. Thanks

Ejo help a brother.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 6:49pm On Jan 04, 2021
Chreze:
Greetings,

Ejo help a brother.
With Revolut you get a virtual card. Check if Monzo has that feature too.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 7:04pm On Jan 04, 2021
It's available on Monzo Plus/premium which requires an account upgrade and costs £5 monthly.
dustydee:

With Revolut you get a virtual card. Check if Monzo has that feature too.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 7:04pm On Jan 04, 2021
Go to Monzo app, accounts and add to Google pay / Apple wallet which ever you use.

You can then pay through that means.

Chreze:
Greetings,

Ejo help a brother.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 7:07pm On Jan 04, 2021
Chreze:
Greetings,

Ejo help a brother.

Why cant you transfer the money to someone to help you get the cash. I'm not sure they practice the naija style of printing bank cards arbitrarily here.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by noulish: 7:16pm On Jan 04, 2021
dejol88:
Good afternoon, I need 100 pounds, who is selling?

State how u need it. Is it into your Domiciliary account or Bitcoin or PayPal or cash?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 7:18pm On Jan 04, 2021
The card details aren't usually available on the app and can't be added to Google Pay until the card has arrived and is activated.
Bourne007:
Go to Monzo app, accounts and add to Google pay / Apple wallet which ever you use.

You can then pay through that means.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 7:46pm On Jan 04, 2021
Thanks guys for the swift reply.

1. I can’t add card to apple or google pay as there is no card yet from the Monzo.

2. Monzo app is not functional until after card is activated.

3. I tried opening a starling account and they are requesting for proof of address to complete account opening. I am currently in an Airbnb apartment.

4. Does Revolut request for same as above, if so, then there is gonna be another hold up.

Thanks for the replies.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 8:03pm On Jan 04, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

Why cant you transfer the money to someone to help you get the cash. I'm not sure they practice the naija style of printing bank cards arbitrarily here.

Thanks for your reply. I really don’t know anyone and I believe transferring money to someone’s account is not too cool. At least I will be wary getting funds to my account from someone I don’t know or the source of fund. I try not to ask for what I know I won’t be able to do or give if asked. The only option in this case is getting cash physically. This won’t be bad, but I trade and don’t really think it’s wise getting funds for that black market rate given. Trust me, I don’t expect anyone to offer less than that rate as money is hard to make( I respect that). But I don’t really dig that exchange rate used. I have seen it fly around on here, I don’t think it’s wrong, like I said, working and making money is not an easy thing, so I don’t expect anyone to do bonanza with it.

The summary is my own too much... What can you do for me in this case? Direct me to a way to get what I ought-to/need and I will be very much grateful. Thanks in advance.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dejol88: 8:05pm On Jan 04, 2021
noulish:

State how u need it. Is it into your Domiciliary account or Bitcoin or PayPal or cash?
UK bank account

(1) (2) (3) ... (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.