Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (532) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1305634 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (529) (530) (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Adaaam: 5:19pm On Jan 22, 2021
ardamz:
the country is actually England, London on the list o not UK

Thanks dear. I appreciate
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 6:04pm On Jan 22, 2021
Boy, 14, arrested after male, 15, was 'shot dead by gang of youths'
........At this age I was thinking how to write junior Waec

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 7:00pm On Jan 22, 2021
DisGuy:

So many of these lifestyle vloggers on YouTube now. They talk about it like it's nothing, even offering discounts to their followers. Thanks to the lockdown I've been consuming a large dose of these content.

So sad all the little kids without a mummy

Are you watching in order to to manage your amusement park 6-pack? wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 7:22pm On Jan 22, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

Are you watching in order to to manage your amusement park 6-pack? wink

The 1 pack I was managing pre-covid, I can't find it. I blame gym closure!!!

Watching all the favourite spots and food in naija!! If DisGuy can't get to lasgisdi...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Gracegal: 7:47pm On Jan 22, 2021
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:49pm On Jan 22, 2021
DisGuy:

Haaaa no wonder I talk am!

You see so bros Lexus. You sef see am

grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Gracegal: 7:50pm On Jan 22, 2021
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:51pm On Jan 22, 2021
Lexusgs430:

You want to reduce your height......... cheesy

Tufia! reduce to where? Abeg o! grin Maybe if I’m tall, people will take me seriously grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:52pm On Jan 22, 2021
Aphrodite007:

Tufia! reduce to where? Abeg o! grin Maybe if I’m tall, people will take me seriously grin

That's a tall order....... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:52pm On Jan 22, 2021
Lexusgs430:

That's a tall order....... grin

Hahahaha
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 8:00pm On Jan 22, 2021
Lexusgs430:
Now wey una don dey earn £'s una belle and yansh don dey expand....... Avoid temptations.......... grin

She’s just unlucky. May her soul rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:27pm On Jan 22, 2021
phyl123:

She’s just unlucky. May her soul rest in peace.

It's so sad sha the pressure of Social Media and I must flaunt bikini body. There was a time being fat was the in thing. Now the 3 kids are left without their mum at such a young age.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:29pm On Jan 22, 2021
LagosismyHome:

This our high in carbohydrates food self na cause am. It will not allow us slay slim stomach in peace angry

Very painful as it's an avoidable death. ....but she get mind sha. How wont you tell your hubby about such a trip
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9172649/Mother-died-liposuction-surgery-Turkey.html

Or Instagram fitness queen's where a lot of them don do surgery up and down. Learnt thats the reigning thing in Lagos now, awon Dr Anu fans
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 7:27am On Jan 23, 2021
Good morning my seniors �

So I got my tier 4 student visa and I'm officially about to start my 10years journey to settlement ( I hope I will be able to cut it down to 8years sha)

Please I'm preparing for the whole travels , I will like to ask the elders in the house what are the necessary stuffs for to bring to UK. Be it food items or anything that will be cheaper for me to get from here and other tips for someone coming alone to UK ( I don't have any family member or Friend there)

I will also like to know about the prospect of MSc Civil and Structural Engineering in UK ( that's what I will be studying),

I look forward to hearing from you guys. Thank you in advance
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 8:29am On Jan 23, 2021
starboychan:

So I got my tier 4 student visa and I'm officially about to start my 10years journey to settlement ( I hope I will be able to cut it down to 8years sha)

Please I'm preparing for the whole travels , I will like to ask the elders in the house what are the necessary stuffs for to bring to UK. Be it food items or anything that will be cheaper for me to get from here and other tips for someone coming alone to UK ( I don't have any family member or Friend there)

I will also like to know about the prospect of MSc Civil and Structural Engineering in UK ( that's what I will be studying),

Bring a LOT of Money.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 8:41am On Jan 23, 2021
That lot of money is the problem.

I'm on managing level hence why I want to know things that will be cheaper for me to bring from Nigeria

umarwy:

Bring a LOT of Money.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sagbar(m): 9:16am On Jan 23, 2021
Greetings all,
Need your advice:
What do you think of someone on salary of 400k in Nigeria and wife currently studying in the UK -newly wedded couple and wife want him to join her, settle down and start a family over there.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by FraudMan: 9:41am On Jan 23, 2021
sagbar:
Greetings all,
Need your advice:
What do you think of someone on salary of 400k in Nigeria and wife currently studying in the UK -newly wedded couple and wife want him to join her, settle down and start a family over there.

Is the wife an undergraduate or a postgraduate student?

Better still, go to the Uk government website and read on visa and immigration - student visa. Then you can go to the uk student visa section of nairaland and ask specific questions.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 9:53am On Jan 23, 2021
starboychan:

There's really nothing you NEED that is cheaper in terms of purchasing power parity, unless you're addicted to Nigerian food grin.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by FraudMan: 9:59am On Jan 23, 2021
starboychan:

Oooshey, 10years geng cheesy

Bourne007 can relate grin

I pray you are able to cut it down to 7 sef. All the best!!!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 10:23am On Jan 23, 2021
sagbar:
Greetings all,
Need your advice:

Why can’t I understand this question?
Oga please ask specific question so we fit understand smiley
Are you weighing options of moving with ur wife or not ?
Are you weighing your 400k Naira salary to what you’ll earn in Uk ?
Are you weight the possibilities or you getting same type of job you’ve got in Nigeria to what you’ll get in the Uk?
Ask the question well no vex

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 10:26am On Jan 23, 2021
7 is actually the goal .

You mean I should sharply follow @bourne007

FraudMan:

Oooshey, 10years geng cheesy

Bourne007 can relate grin

I pray you are able to cut it down to 7 sef. All the best!!!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 10:28am On Jan 23, 2021
Thank you so for the input.

Well I have a very sensitive stomach, so it will take time to adapt to foods available there.

I just don't want to miss out on things I should pack , may reason why I came here for help

TheGuyFromHR:

There's really nothing you NEED that is cheaper in terms of purchasing power parity, unless you're addicted to Nigerian food grin.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 10:34am On Jan 23, 2021
starboychan:

Welcome to the uk my brother...
Learn how to walk before you think of flying wink ...
Enjoy the Uk student experience before you start worrying about settlement.....
As for civil/ structural engineering jobs you’ll get loads from my experience....
Good luck
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 10:35am On Jan 23, 2021
sagbar:
Greetings all,
Need your advice:

If his wife is studying here, he should get either a visiting visa or a Tier 4 dependant visa depending on her study level and come and visit and see how things are here for himself first before taking any plunge. Also to be taken into consideration are the realistic chances of settlement here in line with the spouses' current/planned occupations, especially in the time of Covid.

Emigration is a state of mind - some people are ready to leave Nigeria no matter what awaits them in their intended destination, others are more calculating. Some people are ready to take off to eastern Europe or south Asia with a visiting visa to "hustle" while others will only leave for a stable western country such as Canada on a permanent residence permit.

I first came out to the UK to take a masters in the early 2000s, and went back after I got a job back home. My enduring memory of those times immersed in the Nigerian community is of the amount of complaining that many Nigerians used to do about "bills, bills, bills", and "tax, tax, tax", their disdain for non-white collar employment, and the rush to dive into the wonderful world of credit and consumption (it was way easier then for newcomers than now). I remember when the government said they'd start crushing cars caught without insurance and these people started grousing about the costs of insurance and road tax (apparently many of them had bought cars, but were driving uninsured) which in many cases can amount to the same price that many Nigerian students had paid for the jalopies they were cruising around to their Tesco jobs, etc., etc.

My point being that a lot of these people experienced the UK as a major culture shock and gave one the distinct impression that they'd no idea what life in a regulated and organised society would be like before they came. That's what your friend should avoid. We can only give him opinions, but only he can advise himself on what path to follow.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 10:37am On Jan 23, 2021
Thanks so much for the input.

I will take one step at a time ( goal number is to get a distinction and industrial placement since my course is 2years )

wallg123:

Welcome to the uk my brother...
Learn how to walk before you think of flying wink ...
Enjoy the Uk student experience before you start worrying about settlement.....
As for civil/ structural engineering jobs you’ll get loads from my experience....
Good luck
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 10:39am On Jan 23, 2021
starboychan:

Well I have a very sensitive stomach, so it will take time to adapt to foods available there.

I just don't want to miss out on things I should pack , may reason why I came here for help

The journey to boiled potatoes and beef is not a long one, my brother. grin
When I was a student in Scotland, I dey follow them sometimes dey chop their haggis self.
And that was then, when students had lives, clubs to go to, women to befriend, the odd trip to France to plan, London month ends to look forward to, easier jobs to get, better lives generally.

This Covid period, if you don't have some good money in your pocket as a previous poster advised, you will find that thinking about what to eat will be the least of your worries.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 10:44am On Jan 23, 2021
starboychan:
Thanks so much for the input.

I will take one step at a time ( goal number is to get a distinction and industrial placement since my course is 2years )

For placements send PM

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by descarado: 11:07am On Jan 23, 2021
Hello guys, do you know why money vex isn't working.
Any good alternative please?
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by MichaelUde: 11:14am On Jan 23, 2021
starboychan:

Lol@ haggis. I’m a silent reader, but had to drop in to say something here.
@TheGuyFromHR, senior man, I don chop that thing, its tasty, for me na ngwongwo and Quaker oats.

Bros starboychan, I dey UK now, moved here last year. Me too dey get sensitive stomach, I used to be an abuser of Flagyl in those days when I used to travel to Nsukka by road from Lagos, I eat nothing the day before travelling and nothing on the whole journey except dry biscuit, while my friends go dey laugh me dey chop anything dem see for roadside. As I dey UK, I dey try anything, and as Oga HR said, food is the least of my worries. As long as you are not allergic to stuff or, if so, you know what you are allergic to, no worry about food matter, abeg.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 11:15am On Jan 23, 2021
Done

umarwy:

For placements send PM
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 11:16am On Jan 23, 2021
descarado:
Hello guys, do you know why money vex isn't working.
Any good alternative please?
Thanks

If you need Naira I might be able to help.

(1) (2) (3) ... (529) (530) (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.