Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (533) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1309764 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (530) (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) (536) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 11:17am On Jan 23, 2021
descarado:
Hello guys, do you know why money vex isn't working.
Any good alternative please?
Thanks

Has CBN also hammered MoneyFex?
I used it on Wednesday and it went through as always.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 11:18am On Jan 23, 2021
That's a relief.

I don't eat when I'm traveling as well. I don't have any allergy so I should be fine .

Thank you

[quote author=MichaelUde post=98353

Bros starboychan, I dey UK now, moved here last year. Me too dey get sensitive stomach, I used to be an abuser oFlagyl in those days who Nsukka by road from Lagos, I eat nothing the day before travelling and nothing on the whole journey except dry biscuit, w.
[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 11:19am On Jan 23, 2021
It's still working, I wonder how they are operating

TheGuyFromHR:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 11:29am On Jan 23, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

At first I thought Buhari had kept his promise of 1pounds to 1 naira .... tongue . But no , we wish

I think they must have heard from CBN.... saw a message this morning that they have suspended issuing to naira account

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 11:42am On Jan 23, 2021
starboychan:
Good morning my seniors �

So I got my tier 4 student visa and I'm officially about to start my 10years journey to settlement ( I hope I will be able to cut it down to 8years sha)

Please I'm preparing for the whole travels , I will like to ask the elders in the house what are the necessary stuffs for to bring to UK. Be it food items or anything that will be cheaper for me to get from here and other tips for someone coming alone to UK ( I don't have any family member or Friend there)

I will also like to know about the prospect of MSc Civil and Structural Engineering in UK ( that's what I will be studying),

I look forward to hearing from you guys. Thank you in advance

Which city are you coming?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 11:51am On Jan 23, 2021
LagosismyHome:

At first I thought Buhari had kept his promise of 1pounds to 1 naira .... tongue . But no , we wish

I think they must have heard from CBN.... saw a message this morning that they have suspended issuing to naira account

Lol, that particular promise don dey overdue to keep o. Anytime I go to the money transfer sites, liver dey fail person when I see the exchange rates, keep wondering whether the naira can come out of this particular slump.

Anyway, this particular move by CBN is a good one at least, as much as it is an annoyance to have to find alternative means to send money home.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 11:51am On Jan 23, 2021
justwise:

Justwise happy new year oh/good morning....

Long time since we saw u here wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by descarado: 11:54am On Jan 23, 2021
Mamatukwas:

If you need Naira I might be able to help.

Can you put your details in a dead thread please and qoute me.
Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 11:54am On Jan 23, 2021
MichaelUde:

Lol@ haggis. I’m a silent reader, but had to drop in to say something here.
@TheGuyFromHR, senior man, I don chop that thing, its tasty, for me na ngwongwo and Quaker oats.

Bros starboychan, I dey UK now, moved here last year. Me too dey get sensitive stomach, I used to be an abuser of Flagyl in those days when I used to travel to Nsukka by road from Lagos, I eat nothing the day before travelling and nothing on the whole journey except dry biscuit, while my friends go dey laugh me dey chop anything dem see for roadside. As I dey UK, I dey try anything, and as Oga HR said, food is the least of my worries. As long as you are not allergic to stuff or, if so, you know what you are allergic to, no worry about food matter, abeg.

Lol, Quaker Oats and ngwongwo is a pretty apt description.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 12:04pm On Jan 23, 2021
descarado:

Can you put your details in a dead thread please and qoute me.
Thanks.

No I can’t unfortunately. Send me a PM and il respond. Gracias.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 12:05pm On Jan 23, 2021
Middlesbrough sir

justwise:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 12:57pm On Jan 23, 2021
wallg123:

Justwise happy new year oh/good morning....

Long time since we saw u here wink

Happy new year to you. i do come here to read and move on.. post from time to time as well

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 1:10pm On Jan 23, 2021
starboychan:
Middlesbrough sir

Well .. like people have said already you need to come with money....you know that maintenance money and school fees you presented during visa application? You need to come with it .

1. Get part time job as soon as possible, don't pick and choose jobs until you settle.

2. You need to learn how to cook and not depend on eating out

3. Avoid getting contract phone, get sim-only contract from Smarty, meaning you only pay for what you used.

4. Look for bills inclusive accommodation a bit far from town centre...just 10-15mins walking distance to university .

5. Pick carefully the type of African/Nigerian church to attend.

16 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 1:57pm On Jan 23, 2021
Thanks so Justwise

justwise:

Well .. like people have said already you need to come with money....you know that maintenance money and school fees you presented during visa application? You need to come with it .

1. Get part time job as soon as possible, don't pick and choose jobs until you settle.

3. Avoid getting contract phone, get sim-only contract from Smarty, meaning you only pay for what you used.

4. Look for bills inclusive accommodation a bit far from town centre...just 10-15mins walking distance to university .

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:03pm On Jan 23, 2021
justwise:

No 5 is interesting to see on this list smiley..... abeg explain.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olalekank(m): 2:11pm On Jan 23, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Check out this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/6375808/share-experience-nigerian-churches-abroad

It pretty much describes it

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:14pm On Jan 23, 2021
LagosismyHome:

If you are not ready to let go a chunk of your money on weekly and monthly basis then avoid some Africa/Nigerian churches.

They sell you hope in exchange for your various financial contributions.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 2:16pm On Jan 23, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Our people can be good in some aspects, but the OP needs to be aware that Nigerians are Nigerians wherever they are. wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 2:20pm On Jan 23, 2021
justwise:

If you are not ready to let go a chunk of your money on weekly and monthly basis then avoid some Africa/Nigerian churches.

They sell you hope in exchange for your various financial contributions.

When I first came to the UK, I had an old secondary school friend in London who had been living here for more than 10 years by that time and who told me to "avoid Nigerian churches in London o"

I told him that I even avoid Nigerian churches in Lagos self, so no worries. cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:35pm On Jan 23, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

When I first came to the UK, I had an old secondary school friend in London who had been living here for more than 10 years by that time and who told me to "avoid Nigerian churches in London o"

I told him that I even avoid Nigerian churches in Lagos self, so no worries. cheesy

Good decision.

2yrs ago a friend stopped going to one Nigerian church i think in London too because of heavy financial demand.

According to him..he pays 10% of his salary as tithe, £30 monthly for kingdom investment. £10 weekly to support God's work or what he calls mission support. Every Dec they have thanksgiving service where members are tasked to pay certain amount. 2yes ago they were asked to pay £1000 each for certain project, a year after that its £500 at least.

Then every Jan you have to give up your salary as first fruit and you still have to sold-seed and appreciate pastor from time to time.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:44pm On Jan 23, 2021
justwise:

Good decision.

2yrs ago a friend stopped going to one Nigerian church i think in London too because of heavy financial demand.

According to him..he pays 10% of his salary as tithe, £30 monthly for kingdom investment. £10 weekly to support God's work or what he calls mission support. Every Dec they have thanksgiving service where members are tasked to pay certain amount. 2yes ago they were asked to pay £1000 each for certain project, a year after that its £500 at least.

Then every Jan you have to give up your salary as first fruit and you still have to sold-seed and appreciate pastor from time to time.
Ehnnn so people still fall for such ..... na wa ooo!i I have noticed majority of my friends have switched from Nigerian churches to Oyibo majority churches

I still attend Redem JH, I dont hear such but me self never been into all those cash exchange for Gods favour

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sagbar(m): 2:46pm On Jan 23, 2021
wallg123:

Why can’t I understand this question?
Oga please ask specific question so we fit understand smiley
Are you weighing options of moving with ur wife or not ?
Are you weighing your 400k Naira salary to what you’ll earn in Uk ?
Are you weight the possibilities or you getting same type of job you’ve got in Nigeria to what you’ll get in the Uk?
Ask the question well no vex
Yeah he's just considering the option of moving with his wife. He knew that he can earn more if he get a professional job in the UK but he's not sure of job opportunities amidst this covid. Though he's open to anything to do anything legit so far it brings money until he get something suitable for him.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:58pm On Jan 23, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Ehnnn so people still fall for such ..... na wa ooo!i I have noticed majority of my friends have switched from Nigerian churches to Oyibo majority churches

I still attend Redem JH, I dont hear such but me self never been into all those cash exchange for Gods favour

This is very common in many Nigerian churches both here and in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 3:55pm On Jan 23, 2021
sagbar:

Yeah he's just considering the option of moving with his wife. He knew that he can earn more if he get a professional job in the UK but he's not sure of job opportunities amidst this covid. Though he's open to anything to do anything legit so far it brings money until he get something suitable for him.

I understand you clearly now.....
I’ll advice him and his wife to sort out there UK driving licence within the 1st year of arriving as that would also help them in the pursuit of jobs, especially professional jobs in the future....
Since COVID-19 started online business have grown greatly, meaning there is now a high demand for delivery drivers... he can do this in conjunction with whatever is available within his location until he settles in properly.....
There are other things I can think of but let me not bore people here ...

Goodluck
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 4:01pm On Jan 23, 2021
People like me wey no dey attend church at all..
Na hell fire go get me so kiss cry

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by descarado: 4:03pm On Jan 23, 2021
Mamatukwas:

No I can’t unfortunately. Send me a PM and il respond. Gracias.
K
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 4:14pm On Jan 23, 2021
wallg123:

You'll be surprised you're not alone.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by oluwaloseyi2009: 4:26pm On Jan 23, 2021
Good day all . Plss I need u all advise on my visa proposal . I got admission to a UK university and my senior brother based in UK paid the school fees for me, but the living expenses and all other I have all that in my account . All documents sent to the school for CAS . Plsss what is my stand with the UK embassy on my brother helping with school fees payment . Thank you all
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 4:50pm On Jan 23, 2021
oluwaloseyi2009:
Good day all . Plss I need u all advise on my visa proposal . I got admission to a UK university and my senior brother based in UK paid the school fees for me, but the living expenses and all other I have all that in my account . All documents sent to the school for CAS . Plsss what is my stand with the UK embassy on my brother helping with school fees payment . Thank you all

That absolutely fine. You just need that payment reflected on your CAS and you can get a receipt from the school

Join the student thread and read up on all information you need for the next step (visa application)

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 4:51pm On Jan 23, 2021
wallg123:

Just imagine govt takes at least 20% of your salary, you pay council tax, you pay your bills and rent/mortgage, road tax, MOT, car insurance THEN

You joined a church.. you pay 10% of your salary as tithe, at least £30 for kingdom investment, £10 for mission support weekly, you give offering and appreciate pastor, £500 at least every Dec then by Jan you give up your salary.

So how will you save in this country?

Every Jan we get long list of prophies from many pastors but not a single one of them saw coronavirus coming last year?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 4:53pm On Jan 23, 2021
wallg123:

Very many people are on this table or gradually joining this table ....las las only God go judge us all.

Man never had such powers despite the constant gra gra of judging sin, who be sinners, determining how God dey bless person and judging people up and down . In the end all na noise with no power to judge nothing but mere self interpretation

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (530) (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) (536) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.