Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,188 members, 7,811,481 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (544) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1303445 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (541) (542) (543) (544) (545) (546) (547) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Luchiano54: 4:10am On Feb 01, 2021
Please,I need people's advice/suggestions with this.
For a healthcare worker on tier 2 visa living in Northern Ireland but wants to relocate to England,what part is advisable considering coming from a region with lower cost of living though rent has gone up within the last 6months (Eg. A two bedroom house used to be between £475-£500 but is currently between £575-£650).
Also,is Middlesbrough a good place?
Is there a job prospect for spouse(any job at all).
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jagaban17: 5:25am On Feb 01, 2021

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by emerald16: 10:50am On Feb 01, 2021
Good morning everyone, I intend going to university of west Scotland (London campus) for May intake
I tried searching for 1 bedroom apartments in London and places around London but the cost of the apartments I saw was very expensive. I intend traveling with my hubby and toddler and i do not want to stay in a shared apartment. Can I get a 1 bedroom apartment or a studio flat in London or anywhere around London for £600, if possible Please help me with the name of the town/city so I Channel my search there, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 12:29pm On Feb 01, 2021
jagaban17:
Good Day Elders. I Got my Student Visa last week and i'll be in the UK this month By God's grace.

I will be studying Engineering Management and I'll love to ask some questions.

1. Is Engineering Management a good choice as regards JOB SEARCH ?- I have a background in Mechanical Engineering with about 6 years experience in Power Plant engineering and M&E.

-i can do other kind of Jobs that pay bills too.

2. What kind of Job should I start looking for in UK immediately I get in ? I need Job asap.

3. I need Job website and where can I get help as regards Jobs.

I'll appreciate every help I can get. Thanks.

1. Long-term, I don't think your proposed course of study differentiates you in any way, while your work experience, if transferable, will make more sense to potential employers, Covid job market considerations aside. When is your course supposed to end? If September '21, you need to start applying for graduate schemes now.

2. So do 2 million other people and counting (the real state of the employment situation will be revealed when the furlough scheme ends from April).
The reality with no sugar-coating is that you should plan to draw upon your maintenance money for at least your first 6 months here.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AirBay: 12:35pm On Feb 01, 2021
icon8:

If you meet the eligibility requirements for Canada and you have no specific attachments to the UK, then I’d say Canada, with UK as plan B.

For a neutral, other than the UK’s nearness to Nigeria and Canada’s horrible winter (very very cold and long) I can’t think of anything the UK has over Canada.

O' wrong nau O wrong juju grin grin

Health
Transport
Internet/data
Banking
1 Pound = #650....lol

Scotland is cold too grin

Canada just Fast PR and citizenship.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 12:37pm On Feb 01, 2021
emerald16:
Good morning everyone, I intend going to university of west Scotland (London campus) for May intake
I tried searching for 1 bedroom apartments in London and places around London but the cost of the apartments I saw was very expensive. I intend traveling with my hubby and toddler and i do not want to stay in a shared apartment Can I get a 1 bedroom apartment or a studio flat in London or anywhere around London for £600, if possible Please help me with the name of the town/city so I Channel my search there, thanks.

Highly unlikely...London
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:04pm On Feb 01, 2021
emerald16:
I tried searching for 1 bedroom apartments in London and places around London but the cost of the apartments I saw was very expensive. I intend traveling with my hubby and toddler and i do not want to stay in a shared apartment. Can I get a 1 bedroom apartment or a studio flat in London or anywhere around London for £600, if possible Please help me with the name of the town/city so I Channel my search there, thanks.

TO Choose LONDON means you need to be fluid because the rent here is no joke. £600 won't even get you a shared room in some places how much more what you need. A one bed apartment plus bills you would need to increase that budget or maybe get away with staying outside London due to covid and most classes are virtual for now....

so maybe if covid drags till Dec you might get away with staying outside London and never have to attend classes
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:27pm On Feb 01, 2021
jagaban17:
Good Day Elders. I Got my Student Visa last week and i'll be in the UK this month By God's grace.

1. Is Engineering Management a good choice as regards JOB SEARCH ?- I have a background in Mechanical Engineering with about 6 years experience in Power Plant engineering and M&E.

2. What kind of Job should I start looking for in UK immediately I get in ? I need Job asap.

I’m beginning to think that we should create a page that answers questions like this for people that come asking these questions (which seems to be everyday).

Also, just to share my experience, I have never once visited a thread without starting from page 0, 100, 200 or 300 to see if my questions have been answered before asking again.

I want to encourage new people to form a habit of reading backwards (previous 10 pages before posting, at least). I assure you, when you read backwards, you’ll see answers that you didn’t even know you wanted to ask.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:36pm On Feb 01, 2021
jagaban17:

Also. Your university pay some people salaries to help new students to settle down. Your SU and Nigerian student association are elected officials to help you settle down. Your student ambassadors are paid to help you out. It is their job to give you information on jobs and best places to live. Some even offer new students accommodation in their homes before they find their footing.

Please ask your international students department these questions. They are better suited to helping you. I heard care is the job in London, but warehousing could be the job in your area; if you ask me and I give you bad advice, would you be happy?

Most of us here are not students so we really don’t know the best advice for you which is why most questions go unanswered here. Don’t be angry iye.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jagaban17: 4:00pm On Feb 01, 2021
Alright. Thanks. . �
Aphrodite007:

I’m beginning to think that we should create a page that answers questions like this for people that come asking these questions (which seems to be everyday).

Also, just to share my experience, I have never once visited a thread without starting from page 0, 100, 200 or 300 to see if my questions have been answered before asking again.

I want to encourage new people to form a habit of reading backwards (previous 10 pages before posting, at least). I assure you, when you read backwards, you’ll see answers that you didn’t even know you wanted to ask.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jagaban17: 4:02pm On Feb 01, 2021
Thank you.
TheGuyFromHR:

1. Long-term, I don't think your proposed course of study differentiates you in any way, while your work experience, if transferable, will make more sense to potential employers, Covid job market considerations aside. When is your course supposed to end? If September '21, you need to start applying for graduate schemes now.

2. So do 2 million other people and counting (the real state of the employment situation will be revealed when the furlough scheme ends from April).
The reality with no sugar-coating is that you should plan to draw upon your maintenance money for at least your first 6 months here.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jagaban17: 4:03pm On Feb 01, 2021
Got you!! Thanks.
Aphrodite007:

Also. Your university pay some people salaries to help new students to settle down. Your SU and Nigerian student association are elected officials to help you settle down. Your student ambassadors are paid to help you out. It is their job to give you information on jobs and best places to live. Some even offer new students accommodation in their homes before they find their footing.

Please ask your international students department these questions. They are better suited to helping you. I heard care is the job in London, but warehousing could be the job in your area; if you ask me and I give you bad advice, would you be happy?

Most of us here are not students so we really don’t know the best advice for you which is why most questions go unanswered here. Don’t be angry iye.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Haryoureendey4(m): 6:15pm On Feb 01, 2021
Anyone here in UK that can partner with me with my graphics design work....u work as a middle man by bringing clients from UK, i do the design work and we share the pay profit.

Pls dm me on my whatsapp number attached with my signature if u are interested....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mopeds: 7:25pm On Feb 01, 2021
Hello guys,
Please I moved to the UK in Nov since then I haven't been able to get my Brp, I mailed and mailed the home office, they finally replied that I can't get a brp because my visa is valid for less than 6 months (visit visa) meanwhile i applied for a student dependant visa which is what is on visa...I can't work because of this, I keep still mailing them, no response yet, please can somebody help with who I can contact
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 8:20pm On Feb 01, 2021
Mopeds:
Hello guys,
Please I moved to the UK in Nov since then I haven't been able to get my Brp, I mailed and mailed the home office, they finally replied that I can't get a brp because my visa is valid for less than 6 months (visit visa) meanwhile i applied for a student dependant visa which is what is on visa...I can't work because of this, I keep still mailing them, no response yet, please can somebody help with who I can contact

What category of visa was stamped on your passport??

It is like you have entered one chance.

Furthermore, What ever the category of visa, if it's less than 6 months,. BRP is not issued for it.

Check your passport to confirm that it's not visit visa you applied for?

Did you pay IHS during your application??
How much was your visa fees
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:43pm On Feb 01, 2021
Mopeds:
Hello guys,

The home office is all over the place of late.. even issuing comments on the vignette and BRP Incorrectly. Some tier 4 dependent are seeing notes on their visa saying " no work ". The quality control has gone down and actually terrible

Guess maybe we blame it on covid, working from home, short staff and many other disruption caused by covid.

You just have to keep contacting them or see if the school can intervene to help the student and their dependents . Students paid a lot of money in fees for what has become online learning which is not fair for the cost. The least Universities can do is support student and family

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:44am On Feb 02, 2021
Haryoureendey4:
Anyone here in UK that can partner with me with my graphics design work....u work as a middle man by bringing clients from UK, i do the design work and we share the pay profit.

Pls dm me on my whatsapp number attached with my signature if u are interested....

Ever heard of fiverr...........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Haryoureendey4(m): 2:01am On Feb 02, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Ever heard of fiverr...........
Yes, yahoo guys not making these white people to trust we the real hustlers....been there for like 3-4yrs not getting job from them once they see me as a nigerian

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:10am On Feb 02, 2021
Haryoureendey4:

Yes, yahoo guys not making these white people to trust we the real hustlers....been there for like 3-4yrs not getting job from them once they see me as a nigerian

Unfortunately, bad news is like passing Type 7 stool, all over a versace bespoke suit.......... wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by rs172(m): 9:19am On Feb 02, 2021
Good morning everyone, is there anyone coming to Newcastle this month and seeking a student accommodation, the month of February has been paid for, pm me if interested.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Horlaidey007: 10:22am On Feb 02, 2021
Anyone studying Cyber Security at the University of Sunderland?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 11:07am On Feb 02, 2021
rs172:
Good morning everyone, is there anyone coming to Newcastle this month and seeking a student accommodation, the month of February has been paid for, pm me if interested.
What type of accommodation?
I have someone looking for 2bed apt
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by assumpta1: 11:22am On Feb 02, 2021
@mwenhen I sent you an email. smiley please check.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by brine(m): 11:38am On Feb 02, 2021
Haryoureendey4:

This is not actually true. Sites like Fiverr and others, offer an escrow system which makes them more secure. You need to step up your gigs on Fiverr if you want to stand out.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mopeds: 11:55am On Feb 02, 2021
My visa clearly states tier 4 dependant visa which is what I applied for, I also filled in the post office where my Brp should be delivered when asked
umarwy:

What category of visa was stamped on your passport??

It is like you have entered one chance.

Furthermore, What ever the category of visa, if it's less than 6 months,. BRP is not issued for it.

Check your passport to confirm that it's not visit visa you applied for?

Did you pay IHS during your application??
How much was your visa fees
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by rs172(m): 12:30pm On Feb 02, 2021
onecoder:

What type of accommodation?
I have someone looking for 2bed apt

It’s a student accommodation, not a bedroom flat.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by FraudMan: 2:01pm On Feb 02, 2021
Last I checked, this thread is titled “living in the uk/life as a uk immigrant. So whether you on tier4, tier2, ILR or a british passport, etc everybody is equal. Nobody here is more senior than anybody.

So if a student (already in the uk) is asking a question, it’s up to you whether to reply or jump and pass.

My own observation.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 2:22pm On Feb 02, 2021
I don't know why mention seniority when some of the people that ask questions actually copy certain names - implying they think those people's opinion carry more gravitas.

Regardless of the above, you mentioned students living in the UK asking questions... You must seed the point entirely, there are those still in Nigeria asking very basic questions that can be easily researched in many other ways...

One person asking 10 questions like some sort of exam questions and many of the questions bare very specific and some not so urgent for someone still in Nigeria.

Someone already got a place to study a particular course but asking about job opportunities in that course; the person is already coming to UK to study that course. Will it be not easier to get on the course and then ask questions then; while in the UK and with people doing the course or lecturer and more.

Many of the questions are answered or swerved but a certain amount of reality has to be injected into the forum or it will soon become questions band questions and many will go unanswered resulting in frustration for some people with more urgent or easily answered questions...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 2:22pm On Feb 02, 2021
You are fraud man

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 2:26pm On Feb 02, 2021
Also, there is far more overlaps these days between the main UK threads: there is general visa, students/tiered, spousal visas and living in the UK as an immigrant. It is inevitable but people should try harder to post in more relevant threads...

Who is going to a certain university is not really that relevant to living in the UK... Who is at certain university is more relevant... Yes?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 3:07pm On Feb 02, 2021
FraudMan:
Last I checked, this thread is titled “living in the uk/life as a uk immigrant. So whether you on tier4, tier2, ILR or a british passport, etc everybody is equal. Nobody here is more senior than anybody.

So if a student (already in the uk) is asking a question, it’s up to you whether to reply or jump and pass.

My own observation.

We have been jumping and passing but most people complained. Also, because it is called a “Restaurant” doesn’t meant they will serve shaki and agbodi with okro soup.

Won’t I be doing a disservice if I don’t signpost you to the right place to ask questions? No one mentioned seniority, you assumed that.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 3:34pm On Feb 02, 2021
Mopeds:
My visa clearly states tier 4 dependant visa which is what I applied for, I also filled in the post office where my Brp should be delivered when asked

How long is your visa valid for??

If its less than 6 month you dont get a brp.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (541) (542) (543) (544) (545) (546) (547) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.