Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,093 members, 7,811,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (546) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302942 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (543) (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Endlessgrace: 8:46pm On Feb 04, 2021
zeb04:
Hello guys, pls i need you all to look at this.

I am an embryologist, and i just got a job with a Hospital in Manchester (CF) after doing series of interview.

the starting salary is 25k annually which i consider small for me.

I would like to find out the best city to stay,( within a 30mins radius to Manchester) because i dont think i can live in the city center with that amount. also do you advise i bring my family immediately? will that salary be enough for us.

Please i need help, i have just a month to get ready.

@justwise and everybody else.

thank you.

My cousin is on annual salary of £21k and it’s a family of three in Manchester. He works in city center but lives in Middleton which is about 25 minutes drive to work, so this can work.
For a start, you could get a shared room for 3-4 months, that will help you to save and settle down before bringing the family.
You can then get a two bedroom afterwards for about £500-600 in Rochdale, Bury, Middleton, Bolton or even Leigh which are all around 30 minutes drive from the city and all have direct bus/tram/train to Manchester.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 9:16pm On Feb 04, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Electric heating is way more expensive than gas heating.

When I was a student in Aberdeen I lived in a house with electric heating, its quite common in northern Scotland. You might have to use it sparingly, depending on your pocket, of course.

However, given this whole global warming stuff, the fact is that you rarely get extreme temperatures in most cities in the UK any more, and you could be fine with a fleece-covered duvet and bedding at night these days.

Thanks man. I think I understand you clearly.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:17pm On Feb 04, 2021
zeb04:

I am an embryologist, and i just got a job with a Hospital in Manchester (CF) after doing series of interview.

I would like to find out the best city to stay,( within a 30mins radius to Manchester) because i dont think i can live in the city center with that amount. also do you advise i bring my family immediately? will that salary be enough for us.

thank you.

While it might not be the greatest salary .... for me when it comes to first UK job I believe any bread is better than none. Once you have that "UK experience ".... it priceless as nobody can take it from you and you can then move after some years and command more salary

25k would give you £ 1,720.00 after tax..... luckily its not in London. Outside London if you can work towards putting all expenses at 720 then you still be alright. If you have a husband and he works then even better

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:18pm On Feb 04, 2021
muzzling17:

@LagosismyHome
Hi,
At the bolded word, I just want to tell you that I use your quote in an article I wrote. I hope you don't mind, you can find it between the first 15 line of the article here: https://musiliadebayo.medium.com/required-skills-to-become-a-data-scientist-7eab244b7073
PS: I am not the one that asked the question lol. i still dey lagos for my papa house single and unemployed. I do come to travel sections to keep the hope alive.

I will also be deleting link in the next few days. I hope you get to see the quote before then. me self won turn one of your mentees too oooo.

smiley cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:15pm On Feb 04, 2021
zeb04:

thank you.

Its a starting salary, keep that in mind, you will earn more as you stay with the company and get more experience , i don't know much about areas in Manchester but i understand that its an affordable city, 2yrs ago i went there for job but stayed in a hotel in Bolton, a tax drive who drives me to work couldn't stop telling me how affordable Manchester is especially accommodation, few friends a made within a month i stayed there confirmed what the taxi driver said. In many cities in the UK your salary reflects the cost of living in that city

Give yourself at least 6months to settle down before bringing your family, so i will take the job if I'm in your position.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 10:25pm On Feb 04, 2021
@ zeb04

I don't think it's a good idea to mention the name of the clinic, the location is enough info....especially as you've not really started.

Will also like to add, Manchester is very affordable they have many towns with good transport links to the centre.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 1:15am On Feb 05, 2021
muzzling17:

@LagosismyHome
Hi,
At the bolded word, I just want to tell you that I use your quote in an article I wrote. I hope you don't mind, you can find it between the first 15 line of the article here: https://musiliadebayo.medium.com/required-skills-to-become-a-data-scientist-7eab244b7073
PS: I am not the one that asked the question lol. i still dey lagos for my papa house single and unemployed. I do come to travel sections to keep the hope alive.

I will also be deleting link in the next few days. I hope you get to see the quote before then. me self won turn one of your mentees too oooo.

Lol I’m happy it got shared to inspire others. I’m also happy to share this glory with LIMH, she’s a great teacher.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by trishvik1: 3:13am On Feb 05, 2021
hello, please can any one explain this new health and social care visa? can a health care assistant/carer with a salary of 20,800 be eligible for this visa?

secondly please any idea if tier 4 students can get a mortgage in the uk. please kindly explain if u have an idea, thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 6:19am On Feb 05, 2021
trishvik1:
hello, please can any one explain this new health and social care visa? can a health care assistant/carer with a salary of 20,800 be eligible for this visa?

secondly please any idea if tier 4 students can get a mortgage in the uk. please kindly explain if u have an idea, thank you

Why the rush to get a mortgage with Tier 4..... mortgage can be a heavy responsibility.

Especially not at this time, if you don't want the house selling too is not that easy . Mortgage is income dependent as well, with 20 hours salary even if bank was to give, that Mortgage calculation will come out so small. Also Tier 4 cannot do BTL (buy to let) either so tier 4 should really be more focused on their studies . Except you are a cash buyer , I doubt if any mortgage lender will give a tier 4 mortgage. That won't be very wise

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EfoRiCx: 8:50am On Feb 05, 2021
Anyone got a room in a shared flat for rent in London ?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:58am On Feb 05, 2021
trishvik1:

You can’t get a mortgage on student visa, what job and salary will you use? How many years mortgage duration on 16months student visa?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 11:39am On Feb 05, 2021
Check https://www.gov.uk/health-care-worker-visa/your-job. "You’ll usually need to be paid at least £20,480 per year"

If you have a partner on a dependant visa working FT, s/he may qualify with a good credit history

trishvik1:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by trishvik1: 1:02pm On Feb 05, 2021
Bourne007:
Check https://www.gov.uk/health-care-worker-visa/your-job. "You’ll usually need to be paid at least £20,480 per year"

If you have a partner on a dependant visa working FT, s/he may qualify with a good credit history

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chukwuka16: 1:59pm On Feb 05, 2021
The country called Nigeria is a comedy anytime. How can CBN wake up and do this?

https://www.nairaland.com/6400654/cbn-shuts-down-cryptocurrency-exchange

But then what do you expect from a country ruled by animals?

Young Nigerians for once have utilised crypto to empower themselves and finance initiatives like Endsars amongst others with minimal contact with the existing financial system and the leaders are feeling threatened? Is it a crime for young people to have money?

Does the govt understand what it means to have NGN on Binance and even have them currently organising training for Nigerians and other Africans? Even the US is adopting USDC to catch up with Iran and CBN is thinking like herders?

Make I go find food chop jare.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 2:11pm On Feb 05, 2021
Chukwua16 couple of pages back lol

here i am trying to do that experiment David470 and finton did with binance> naira>Crypto> pounds

Our fintech was an outlet for young guys and companies. seems the old guards don't like anything they are not controlling

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chukwuka16: 2:25pm On Feb 05, 2021
DisGuy:
Chukwua16 couple of pages back lol

here i am trying to do that experiment David470 and finton did with binance> naira>Crpto> pounds

Our fintech was an outlet for young guys and companies. seems the old guards don't like anything they are not controlling

I am everyday confused by actions of the country leadership.

How can the NSE be working on blockchain technology and CBN is banning crypto - that is policy incongruence.

How can you be thinking of improving AI and IT savviness among Nigerian youths and banning crypto?

When the CBN came up with their useless policy on forex remittance, Binance among others provided the opportunity for Nigerians to make some money through arbitrage.

I agree that Nigerians aren't investing in the real sector thus job creation is difficult, but when you have perverse policies in place and an environment that doesn't encourage investments then people don't feel encouraged or incentivised to invest in the real economy.

Nigeria is a comedy anyway anytime.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:32pm On Feb 05, 2021
Chukwuka16:
The country called Nigeria is a comedy anytime. How can CBN wake up and do this?

https://www.nairaland.com/6400654/cbn-shuts-down-cryptocurrency-exchange

But then what do you expect from a country ruled by animals?

Young Nigerians for once have utilised crypto to empower themselves and finance initiatives like Endsars amongst others with minimal contact with the existing financial system and the leaders are feeling threatened? Is it a crime for young people to have money?

Does the govt understand what it means to have NGN on Binance and even have them currently organising training for Nigerians and other Africans? Even the US is adopting USDC to catch up with Iran and CBN is thinking like herders?

Make I go find food chop jare.

Oga chukwuka I actually opened my nairaland to mentioned you now now now, concerning what the govt has done.

So happy you got here before me!

Shey you were telling us that doing business in Nigeria is good? I’m happy you can see it with your eyes. I want to start a service centre in Nigeria but at the back of my head, I’m worried that they may shut me down if they know the CEO is Nigerian.

Shey you’re seeing what we were telling you? Doing business in Nigeria is literally vibes and Insha’Allah.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:35pm On Feb 05, 2021
Chukwuka16:

How can the NSE be working on blockchain technology and CBN is banning crypto - that is policy incongruence.

How can you be thinking of improving AI and IT savviness among Nigerian youths and banning crypto?

When the CBN came up with their useless policy on forex remittance, Binance among others provided the opportunity for Nigerians to make some money through arbitrage.

I agree that Nigerians aren't investing in the real sector thus job creation is difficult, but when you have perverse policies in place and an environment that doesn't encourage investments then people don't feel encouraged or incentivised to invest in the real economy.

Shey we were telling you!

Like, I am hardcore patriotic yeah, but business-wise, Naija no be am. I mentioned how the UK govt understands the importance of SMEs and creates policies favouring them, while our motherland prefers to keep the youths unemployed.

Bastards. Sorry I’m angry.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chukwuka16: 2:42pm On Feb 05, 2021
Aphrodite007:

Shey we were telling you!

Like, I am hardcore patriotic yeah, but business-wise, Naija no be am. I mentioned how the UK govt understands the importance of SMEs and creates policies favouring them, while our motherland prefers to keep the youths unemployed.

Bastards. Sorry I’m angry.

No, it isn't really abt business per se. This was just an avenue where the average Joe was earning a living without actually interacting with Nigeria's financial system fully.

Closing it in one way is beneficial but then it becomes counterproductive because lack of competition means the aboki BDC operator wakes up everyday to determine what the exchange rate should be.

I thought CBN'S policy on forex remittance was going to boost the Naira. Alas, I was shocked when my colleague showed me that Nigeria's exchange rate is determined on WhatsApp. In hindsight I realise that our currency has no fundamentals so not surprising.

Nigeria is still bae because you can earn 100% of your income back to back if you have brilliant accountants.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jesudaughter(f): 3:19pm On Feb 05, 2021
This amount is very ok for you and family so far you are not flamboyant..Meanwhile it's best you come alone, get settled before bringing in your family.

Best wishes

zeb04:

I am an embryologist, and i just got a job with a Hospital in Manchester after doing series of interview.

thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 6:58pm On Feb 05, 2021
Chukwuka16:

No, it isn't really abt business per se. This was just an avenue where the average Joe was earning a living without actually interacting with Nigeria's financial system fully.

Closing it in one way is beneficial but then it becomes counterproductive because lack of competition means the aboki BDC operator wakes up everyday to determine what the exchange rate should be.

I thought CBN'S policy on forex remittance was going to boost the Naira. Alas, I was shocked when my colleague showed me that Nigeria's exchange rate is determined on WhatsApp. In hindsight I realise that our currency has no fundamentals so not surprising.

Nigeria is still bae because you can earn 100% of your income back to back if you have brilliant accountants.
Bros what is the point of making 100% of your income if you can’t be sure of your life and security?....
The stories coming out of Nigeria every blessed day is full of sorrow and wickedness both by individuals and by the government....

What’s the point of making all this wealth and profit if you’ll be dead the next minute? Or if your business gets shutdown the next day without any due consultation?...

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 7:58pm On Feb 05, 2021
Chukwuka16:

CBN is slashing interest rates and pushing banks to "loan to potential investors in the real sector" and debiting them like crazy for CRR as if its the cost of money that's the problem at the moment. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, that's not the issue, its the perverseness of policies and the whole general economic environment that's making people wary.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AirBay: 8:57pm On Feb 05, 2021
wallg123:

Bros what is the point of making 100% of your income if you can’t be sure of your life and security?....
The stories coming out of Nigeria every blessed day is full of sorrow and wickedness both by individuals and by the government....

What’s the point of making all this wealth and profit if you’ll be dead the next minute? Or if your business gets shutdown the next day without any due consultation?...

Honestly, the country is getting really messed up.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:57pm On Feb 05, 2021
Chukwuka16:

Love your passion for Nigeria, I just really wish this passion could rub off on the whole government officials to aspire them to make Nigeria better.... the evil stories comes from that country is becoming unbelievable. From top to bottom, crimes everyday people were not commiting is now a regular story

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 11:52pm On Feb 05, 2021
UAE is opening its doors Ya’ll. Wawu.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by rigvod: 5:29am On Feb 06, 2021
I wonder why the moderator(s) are removing some people’s posts concerning currency exchange whilst leaving others.
You must understand that this is the situation at hand and for now this mini black market exchange has come to stay. It is nobody’s fault on this platform.
The Federal Government of Nigeria's new policies is making it difficult for banks to send money to those in Nigeria and there’s no timeline nor an end date in sight for this.

They made the harsh rules, blocked the avenues and all of us will be at the receiving end one way or the other, my own is just allow people be.
Thank you!

Pls I need naira.. if you want pounds, send a message

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 7:29am On Feb 06, 2021
Good morning folks. Please is there any way I can send pounds to naija and the recipient will get it in pounds instead of Naira ??
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by rigvod: 8:35am On Feb 06, 2021
Mimzyy:
Good morning folks. Please is there any way I can send pounds to naija and the recipient will get it in pounds instead of Naira ??
I have just heard u can send through world remit pounds and the recipient will pick up USD in Nigeria. Cash pick up of dollars, few banks listed eg FCMB, First Bank, GTB
Recipient must have the main photo id eg Intl passport, National id etc and the names must match and a valid phone number by which they will receive their code.
U and the recipient must not have an account in the bank to be able to do pick up. Dollars in cash will be given.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:47am On Feb 06, 2021
Mimzyy:

Yes....... Look for someone travelling down.......... Then handover the brown envelope.......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 9:13am On Feb 06, 2021
This is helpful. Thanks a lot.

rigvod:

I have just heard u can send through world remit pounds and the recipient will pick up USD in Nigeria. Cash pick up of dollars, few banks listed eg FCMB, First Bank, GTB
Recipient must have the main photo id eg Intl passport, National id etc and the names must match and a valid phone number by which they will receive their code.
U and the recipient must not have an account in the bank to be able to do pick up. Dollars in cash will be given.

(1) (2) (3) ... (543) (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.