Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,064 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (662) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1307012 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (659) (660) (661) (662) (663) (664) (665) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:17am On Jun 14, 2021
ELff:
Please how do you guys send things to Nigeria, last time I did, it costed a lot because it was by air. I need a cheaper and affordable option Please. Someone was saying I could it by sea, but it takes like a month to get to its final destination.

My fear is won't it get missen or won't they tear the bag open because those Apapa guys and clearing agents are something else. Please help.

Ever heard of Mamatukwas...... cheesy

Stop been an elf, become a gnome.......... cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 6:03am On Jun 14, 2021
jtech17:

The thing is the project management msc is in the construction industry.. so its kind of related.. I've had other mechanical engineering experiences as well as outside engineering work experiences... and I think teeside is one of the cheapest when it comes to some engineering courses .. most engineering courses ive checked in other schools re expensive or not related to what I hve skills in... PM is very well related.

I will worry about the fees oo to be honest.. I'm gonna be sponsored by a Relative but the funds will be in my account...

That has it’s downside too which affects a lot of Internatioal students.. when you graduated from one of those cheap universities getting a graduate job can be a long walk compared to others with certificate from much better ranked universities.

Marriage for paper should not be your focus as that is risky and expensive too but if you genuinely fall in love with someone without sham arrangement then that is better.

Definitely almost all foreign students plan to stay back and get a job and it’s possible if you graduated with a good result possibly from a good university.

Check if project management is in occupational job shortlist because studying the right course helps that process of staying back after graduation

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Vooom: 7:25am On Jun 14, 2021
This exactly!!

2023 they would forget the suffer of 8years and fight for one worse human the continue to cry for another 8 years

Nigerians deserve her leaders
justwise:

Nigerians don't deserve better than Buhari, we are who we are.

We are good at writing pages after pages of complain but lack the backborn to take action.

We will still vote in another useless president after Buhari
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jtech17: 7:33am On Jun 14, 2021
justwise:

That has it’s downside too which affects a lot of Internatioal students.. when you graduated from one of those cheap universities getting a graduate job can be a long walk compared to others with certificate from much better ranked universities.
Ok

justwise:

Marriage for paper should not be your focus as that is risky and expensive too but if you genuinely fall in love with someone without sham arrangement then that is better.
definitely I would want it to be genuine because of love.. I'm not in a relationship with anyone currently, and I plan on settling down, so I feel the only issue here will getting a citizen with genuine intentions like myself.

justwise:

Definitely almost all foreign students plan to stay back and get a job and it’s possible if you graduated with a good result possibly from a good university.
Well,i will only know that after my degree,but l have technical skills in pool construction and maintenance, as well as plumbing, I think pending when d kpali go begin pay off make I hustle with those skills, as well as any other small jobs that come to put body n soul together, I know certification in those field will also be a prerequisite. I feel teeside is a good university sha. Good no go shame us.[/quote]

justwise:
Check if project management is in occupational job shortlist because studying the right course helps that process of staying back after graduation
Okay will do dat research...

thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:37am On Jun 14, 2021
Vooom:
This exactly!!

2023 they would forget the suffer of 8years and fight for one worse human the continue to cry for another 8 years

Nigerians deserve her leaders

Nigerians in general don't hate crime, they just hate who is committing it and depending on who that person is.

I watched Buhari speak last week and i was wondering how on earth did we get this man elected/selected x2?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:43am On Jun 14, 2021
jtech17:

Ok

definitely I would want it to be genuine because of love.. I'm not in a relationship with anyone currently, and I plan on settling down, so I feel the only issue here will getting a citizen with genuine intentions like myself.

Well,i will only know that after my degree,but l have technical skills in pool construction and maintenance, as well as plumbing, I think pending when d kpali go begin pay off make I hustle with those skills, as well as any other small jobs that come to put body n soul together, I know certification in those field will also be a prerequisite. I feel teeside is a good university sha. Good no go shame us.

Okay will do dat research...

thanks

Those are good set of skills that will help you greatly when you finally settled here but the process of getting settled is where the battle is.

If you managed to graduated without repeating any module and get your PSW then those skills will be handy.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jtech17: 9:13am On Jun 14, 2021
justwise:

Those are good set of skills that will help you greatly when you finally settled here but the process of getting settled is where the battle is.
Me done start prayer for that settling down matter oo..
justwise:

If you managed to graduated without repeating any module and get your PSW then those skills will be handy.
Whaat is PSW?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 9:13am On Jun 14, 2021
justwise:

Can one mitigate the effects of cheap universities via self development, certifications and or experience?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:18am On Jun 14, 2021
jtech17:

Whaat is PSW?

Post-Study-workpermit
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:19am On Jun 14, 2021
hustla:

Can one mitigate the effects of cheap universities via self development, certifications and or experience?

Definitely.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Boltstride: 10:42am On Jun 14, 2021
Advanced Course in Plumbing at Leicester University.
What are my chances of getting admission, convenient accommodation etc.
Please advice needed.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 12:50pm On Jun 14, 2021
justwise:

Definitely.

Okay bro
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 1:17pm On Jun 14, 2021
justwise:

Nigerians in general don't hate crime, they just hate who is committing it and depending on who that person is.

I watched Buhari speak last week and i was wondering how on earth did we get this man elected/selected x2?

Same here, i was cringing with embarassment.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:07pm On Jun 14, 2021
Rubyventures:

Same here, i was cringing with embarassment.

if he runs again he has a good chance of getting reelected/reelected. Look back in history and tell me the last time we elected a decent president.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ogilinsaka: 2:58pm On Jun 14, 2021
fatima04:
This thread is about Life in the UK for Immigrants

I discovered there is a gap in the research community of families living in the UK unlike other countries (Canada and Australia) though there are numerous thread on visa applications and survival tips for students .

It is an avenue for people that have emigrated to United Kingdom (with or without their families) to share their experiences to help future applicants.

Kindly share your personal experiences and comments on:

* Your visa application experience /adjustment status experience

* Picking up your BRP (disadvantage of not travelling within the 1month vignette and protocols to follow in picking it up)

* Travelling experience (airlines and airport to use)

* What are the immigration rules to follow?

* Visa renewals and what you are entitled to after 5yrs

* Can you open a bank account while still in Nigeria and what bank has the best customer service and plan)

* Which State/suburb did you settle in and why?

* Public Transportation Vs Driving in the UK

* Driving in UK? How long can you use your Naija driving license before you get a license?

* Where you live and why you like it or don't like it? Tips on choosing the right neighborhood.(Internet plans, electricity company to use, setting up a house)

*Renting Vs Mortgage (pitfalls to avoid when choosing mortgage)

* Using a credit card (things to avoid)

* Childcare for kids below 5 (cost and how do you go about choosing a minder)

* Business Tips you can do both over there and abroad

* How do you send money home (without much loss)

* What does the NHS fully cover?

* Tips on raising kids in a western environment as an African

* What culture shock have you experienced?

* Tips on how to cloth and cope with the cold weather

* Nigerian restaurants and market in your location

* How much does your family survive on in a month?

* Developing Nigeria from Abroad (How to go about it)

* Nigeria Community in Glasgow

* Fun things to do grin

* And any other ...

Cc justwise, DisGuy, lexusgs430 ekpotek, Brightingsus, claremont, UKmigrant, dupyshoo

I've always wanted to ask this: I have never seen governors, senators or top individuals at the embassy doing biometrics. How do they go about it. Or are they exempted from biometrics? Please answer. Thanks

Cc justwise please help me with this question. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:07pm On Jun 14, 2021
Ogilinsaka:

I've always wanted to ask this: I have never seen governors, senators or top individuals at the embassy doing biometrics. How do they go about it. Or are they exempted from biometrics? Please answer. Thanks

The embassy goes to them........... grin

On a more serious note, if they ever need the embassy, ever heard of VIP entrance......... You never see them, they get offered biscuits, coffee, a chat and handshake...... wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 3:09pm On Jun 14, 2021
Ogilinsaka:

DO you live in the embassy 247?/

Moreover the embassy can go to them.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:15pm On Jun 14, 2021
Ogilinsaka:

They travel with red passport so i don't think they do biometric or need a visa

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ogilinsaka: 3:21pm On Jun 14, 2021
justwise:

They travel with red passport so i don't think they do biometric or need a visa

Thanks a lot. that settles it
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by deept(m): 3:23pm On Jun 14, 2021
Ogilinsaka:

Those that need to do don't enter through the same doors that you and I use.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Vooom: 3:38pm On Jun 14, 2021
Haven gotten a mail to proceed to London office for capture without date nor time would you afvise I proceed?

In in midlands not in London
Zdig:

Hiya, I just did Biometric Capture on Tuesday 8/06/2021. I applied and made payment October 2020. Passport to be posted to me via Royal Mail, so fingers crossed. My experience at the High Commission was surprising; well organized and no delays, was in and out in 1 hour. There is also the Fast Track provision now, just cost £100 more. All the details of requirements and process are here:http://www.nigeriahc.org.uk/. Cheers
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Syludo1: 3:42pm On Jun 14, 2021
Ogilinsaka:

Please for someone looking to move to the Uk on a work visa, what is the easiest way to apply for a job or the sites to apply for a job…
Thank you

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Zdig: 3:43pm On Jun 14, 2021
Vooom:
Haven gotten a mail to proceed to London office for capture without date nor time would you advise I proceed?

In in midlands not in London

I think you will get another mail with a date and time. Alternatively , there is a fast track route now where you go on any day with a £120 postal order and get attended to.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 3:52pm On Jun 14, 2021
Good news, No more requirement for resident labour market test.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by cooldragon: 6:44pm On Jun 14, 2021
Good evening everyone,please I need someone who I can pay naira into their Nigerian account and they give ££ to someone in UK
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 7:02pm On Jun 14, 2021
jtech17:

Whaat is PSW?

With your skill,I would advise you switch to Civil Engineering Msc as that is broad and on the shortage occupation list last I checked. Teeside is good but I will advise location where there are huge construction works going on. For example the hs2 project, with phase 1 running from London to Birmingham makes those areas hot.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 7:05pm On Jun 14, 2021
Lexusgs430:

The embassy goes to them........... grin

On a more serious note, if they ever need the embassy, ever heard of VIP entrance......... You never see them, they get offered biscuits, coffee, a chat and handshake...... wink

Tls has all those special assistance services that suits them. You know UKVI is all about the money

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 7:06pm On Jun 14, 2021
umarwy:

Even for those not on shortage occupation? That is nice
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 7:10pm On Jun 14, 2021
I can do that for you sir
cooldragon:
Good evening everyone,please I need someone who I can pay naira into their Nigerian account and they give ££ to someone in UK
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jtech17: 7:55pm On Jun 14, 2021
fatima04:

With your skill,I would advise you switch to Civil Engineering Msc as that is broad and on the shortage occupation list last I checked. Teeside is good but I will advise location where there are huge construction works going on. For example the hs2 project, with phase 1 running from London to Birmingham makes those areas hot.

Thanks for that..... will start looking for schools in London and Birmingham...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jtech17: 7:57pm On Jun 14, 2021
umarwy:

Please can you explain better.. what's the resident Labour market test for?

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (659) (660) (661) (662) (663) (664) (665) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.