Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,354 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Pure Water Biz(Discuss) - Business (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Pure Water Biz(Discuss) (229800 Views)

Poll: Who is to blame for the empty satchet pure water that litter the streets.

Pure water producers: 12% (1 vote)
End users: 50% (4 votes)
Ministry of environment: 25% (2 votes)
Hawkers: 0% (0 votes)
Waste disposal contractors: 12% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Hw To Write A Pure Water Biz Proposal / How Lucrative Is Pure Water Biz In Lagos? / Pure Water Biz In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by kabarka(m): 6:48pm On Dec 07, 2011
cejo:

hahahahahh,ThankGod with me, At long last my Nafdac number is out for production to commence its good to be patient.fluting TABLE WATER is the name located along C.O.E/Iwofe road near Rivers State Univ. of Education in Rumuolumeni Port harcourt R/state.All finishing touches are been made n ready to roll out the drums of quality water consumption.Pls Kabarka,madam L and others already plying d trade, any final advice on the way forward for dis season in dis biz?
congratulations cejo.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by madamL(f): 7:05am On Dec 08, 2011
@cejo. Comgrats. Do not lower prices too much as a way of getting customers and avoid selling on credit.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by Afamdman(m): 9:03am On Dec 08, 2011
Good day everyone, I am so happy I came across this thread, I have learnt so much reading from page 1 till 18, thanks all contributors, I noticed many came and didn't come back to give feedback, I would encourage you guys to do so. Now, I have some questions, directed to madam L, in page 14 you made mention of a franchise idea which you say is a growing trend, that of breaking the process from the production process and the sales, as for me I am interested in the bottled water part of the business and would like the scenenrio where I have an existing company bottle my water for me while I handle the sales part of the business, but I would like to see that handled under my brand name. Now I have this idea that many water companies have equipments that have capacity to bottle more than they sell so it will be good business sense to sell the extra bottling capacity to individuals like me who are ready to meet up to the challenges. So my questions are 1. Are there companies which such extra capacity 2. I would like to have the water branded in my own company name. Thanks for your response. For the record I stay in the festac area.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by rafiusalis: 4:59pm On Dec 08, 2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
karbaka,
Please i am interested in going into the pure water business, i have a borehole, water pump machine and accomodation. Pls I need your advice and help. kindly send me a comprehensive details of all equipments for the pure water biz
my email address is rafiu.salisu@yahoo.com. Thanks for your assistance.

Rafiu Salisu
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by kabarka(m): 10:25am On Dec 10, 2011
Afamdman:

Good day everyone, I am so happy I came across this thread, I have learnt so much reading from page 1 till 18, thanks all contributors, I noticed many came and didn't come back to give feedback, I would encourage you guys to do so. Now, I have some questions, directed to madam L, in page 14 you made mention of a franchise idea which you say is a growing trend, that of breaking the process from the production process and the sales, as for me I am interested in the bottled water part of the business and would like the scenenrio where I have an existing company bottle my water for me while I handle the sales part of the business, but I would like to see that handled under my brand name. Now I have this idea that many water companies have equipments that have capacity to bottle more than they sell so it will be good business sense to sell the extra bottling capacity to individuals like me who are ready to meet up to the challenges. So my questions are 1. Are there companies which such extra capacity 2. I would like to have the water branded in my own company name. Thanks for your response. For the record I stay in the festac area.

This is a sound idea,only if people will key into it.
The Big question is "will Nafdac approve of this?
For now i think using words like "PRODUCED BY X FOR Y" on the label may make the idea acceptable.

What i personally call the franchaise idea is ''Sharing of SYSTEMs" A good and prosperous business is all about management of systems.There could be a lot of stress handling a lot of systems.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by Afamdman(m): 10:33am On Dec 10, 2011
Sounds fair to me as per the idea produced by X for Y. Which means producer X nafdac number is still in use. The reason for NAFAC is to ensure that the water produced is of good quality, so if prouducer X is producing for producer Y, I don't see a big issue here. Only if people key into the idea. Producer X stands to gain a whole lot, more money and more spread of its brand name. My 5cents. So the question still stands are there producer X in this house or around. Thanks.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by madamL(f): 11:30am On Dec 10, 2011
kabarka is right here. you have to clear this idea with nafdac first. i do not know of any such labels in nigeria now but it is don in some other climes. pls go to nafdac office and ask if it can de done and then ask producers in de festac area if You can work with any of them on your terms.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by HEAL: 4:30pm On Dec 13, 2011
Madam L & Kabarka thanks for your enouragement. I guess the season is keeping you preety busy.We just got our Nafdac number!!! grin We had some isues cos our first sample taken to the nafdac lab did not pass their analysis. It had to do with the source of our water. But we identified the issue and fixed it. We sent another sample and it passed.
@Cejo congratulations, i understand your joy grin and like you, we are warmng up to STTARRRTTT!!!!
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by naijaobi(m): 9:48am On Dec 14, 2011
@KABARKA, Thanks for this wonderful thread, plz i will like to venture into this biz, pls send me detailed info on how to go about this, the cost of materials of production and everyoda thing needed, thanks so much, God bless, my email add is naijaobi@gmail.com
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by cashful(m): 8:44pm On Dec 14, 2011
Afamdman:

This type of arrangement is existing for juice and some other beverage/food products, like drinks, seasoning too. though i don't now of water but i think its possible.
You will need to have your own nafdac no. for your brand different from the company packing for you, the process of registration is same as if you own the premises and facilities.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by Afamdman(m): 10:48pm On Dec 14, 2011
cashful:

This type of arrangement is existing for juice and some other beverage/food products, like drinks, seasoning too. though i don't now of water but i think its possible.
You will need to have your own nafdac no. for your brand different from the company packing for you, the process of registration is same as if you own the premises and facilities.
Hmmmm. Nice to know such an idea is already being practised. Would sure like to do a case study, know any company that is into it?
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by remite66: 3:26am On Dec 15, 2011
A very big thank U to madam L and co with your candid advice and help.  Its so good to see fellow nigerians trying to help others.  Im one of the many in diaspora who are looking to come home and establish.  I have already brought land with the purpose to start my pure water biz next year. Kabarka, I would be grateful if you could also send me details on the start up side.  Madam L, would it be possible to come and talk to you when next Im in Lagos?  I hope to travel down late January and would like to see what a successful pure water factory looks like and if there are any pointers you can give me I would be very grateful.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by cashful(m): 9:16am On Dec 15, 2011
Afamdman:

Hmmmm. Nice to know such an idea is already being practised. Would sure like to do a case study, know any company that is into it?

Yes, eg a company called Milan has so many food/beverage products but don't have any production facility, look out for Milan juice or drinks and check it out.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by ng4am(f): 7:41pm On Dec 15, 2011
Madam L, PLS SEND ME DETAILS ON EQUIPMENT AND PRICES OF WANT I NEED TO START UP A TABLE WATER AND PURE WATER BUSINESS.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by ng4am(f): 11:31pm On Dec 15, 2011
My e mail address is ng4am@yahoo.com i already ve space and borehole pls ur assistance will be appreciated.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by PHIL2011: 11:39am On Dec 16, 2011
@ Madam L & Kabarka (your comments were vital eyeopeners for me). Our Pure Water business just got it’s NAFDAC number and is housed in payed off premises (in Benin: bag of pure water sells for 50N/ 80N in raining/ dry season) with:
- 1 packaging machine
- 1 Toyota Dyna (4 tyres)
1) Why should there be a sales man among the workers? What does a sales man exactly do – since I thought the truck will be driving around and selling as it goes?
2) How can I team up with an excisting company to gain experience whilst having the Nafdac number and all machinery available to produce?
3) @ Madam L – at which vital points in your company did you place your two trusted people? I have 1 trusted person (in terms of integrity and diligence, but not in terms of hands on pure water business knowledge) and would like to know where exactly to place this person. What are the parameters you check to monitor the performance these trusted people?
4) What about setting up distributors- other than selling to them at a low price are there other incentives you can give them?
5) @ Kabarka: could you state the areas were you believe your e-books will be an added value to the information found in this thread?
Thanks philsappmp@gmail.com
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by madamL(f): 1:57pm On Dec 16, 2011
It is good to see a lot of people expressing interest in this business. Kabarka has packaged all you need to buy to start the biz so those who need the information should direct enquiries to him. I do more of advise on the business side as well as practical training for owners and key staff.

@remite66. You are free to visit my factory and ask your questions. I can be reached on livcord@yahoo.com and my website is www.livcord.bloombiz.com .

@Phil2011. Why are you hiring loaders for what you will produce with one machine. The driver’s assistants will do the loading for now. The more you hire non-needed staff, the more your cost of production rises. Loaders are only needed in very big places where up to 10000 bags are loaded and sold in a day so as to relieve the drivers’ assistants who will do all the off loading alone. You need salesmen to find customers if you don’t want the van to do too much roaming about to sell especially with the high cost of diesel. You can do without hiring and paying salesmen if you poach a good driver or motor boy of an existing company. They will pull in customers from their old place of work.

You can approach a factory near you and see if the owner can accept to be your mentor and friend. Some will agree others will not let you come into their premises. My experience at the beginning was being turned back at the gates of factories I went to visit to ask for advice. It cost me millions as I made very many expensive mistakes. Continue until you see someone experienced enough to mentor you; it is very important.

My two trusted people: one is the manager and the other, a lady, heads production. The manager must be trustworthy or else you are wasting time. He also has to have experience in pure water biz or he won’t know when you are being robbed bind and how to stop it. Pls let him go for some training at another company for about a week or he will not know what to watch out for.
Avoid granting too much credit facilities because it will finish you off. Try as much as you can to operate on a cash and carry basis,
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by ng4am(f): 2:18pm On Dec 16, 2011
Thank you madam L, Kabarka. Am anxiously waiting for ur reply. Thanx
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by PHIL2011: 7:01pm On Dec 16, 2011
@ madam L: Thanks for your advice grin . I will implement your suggestions as will as I can. I will keep everyone posted on the progress. But I can allready testify that in reading all the pages of this thread last night (I did not sleep at all, since it revealed so many interesting points) my view of the business has already transformed. I believe my business would have lost vital assets to the point of collapsing, but now I am alerted and will apply all shrewdness to make sure that sales will be up and costs will be down. It seems simple enough, but I did not realise there were so many angles in which money can be lost. The fact that there are companies selling their pure water sachets 20% cheaper (see earlier thread of tunapa4dem, June 07, 2010, 06:50 PM) as my supplier was offering me 20 bags per kg while other suppliers are offering me 20 bags per kg for the same price in using a better quality material. It first I thought what is four bags, but 4 bags extra out of 20 means 20% more, which for my tiny company with one packing machine will save me 2500N per day, 15.000N per week or 60.000N per month! Also the advice to understand the mechanics of your car, in particular the balljoints is vital. In waiting for my NAFDAC number (nearly 9 months) I had to change the CVjoint 7 times of my nissan Primera. Nobody told me that simple cleaning and greasing of the rubber cover of the CV joint would prevent it from ripping, send entering the balljoints thus breaking it prematurely. Imagine the money I would have saved (and this Nissan was only used occasionally, without any heavy loads on the very bad internal roads of Benin City) , but imagine more the headacke of a broken DYNA that cannot deliver (and I have only one car), just because the mechanic wants my money and doesn't give any hints on maintanance. I will also try to sell locally in as much as possible to avoid much physical strain on my vehicle and hassle with roadsafety, etc. I will not sell under credit and will also no go under the price, as I realise now that this will ruin all my survical chances. Lastely I also not rely merely on integrity of my workers, since inexperience can be very, very costly. So thanks again a million of the practical advice, that has allready has saved me tens of thousands of naira per month.
A new point I would like to raise. My packing machine (Dingli) consumes relatively little electricity, the UV lights consumes practically nothing. It is only the borehole pump and the filtration pumps that consume much. I will therefore will experiment with generators. My big (Tiger) generator uses fuel (not diesel) and can easily handle the pumps. When I put this on for 8 hours I expect to use about 1000N a day (but the pumps are only used for 20 minutes and this 3 times a day). For the packing machine I am planning to use a very little (Tiger) generator (that uses fuel at about 200N a day). This generator costs only 18.000N and if it works (and I think it will) I will use 5 times less fuel than the big Tiger. The fuel is 65N instead of the very high diesel prices (is it 150 or 160N?). So I believe much money can be saved there. Should the company grow in having more packing machines I will evaluate which will cost less fuel: 1 slightly bigger gen that can handle all the packing machine, or just using 1 little (noisy) Tiger seperately for very packing machine. As I start my company I will put this plan into practice. I have gotten much resistance from the people on ground and the electrician who all claim I should only use the big (money consuming) generator, but a small business owner in the FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) had brillant results in using this little Tiger for appliances that uses little electricity and has no maintainance/ breakage issues - when Neppa fails his generator is only eating 200N from his profits! Please ask me about this generator issue, should I fail to report on this in a few months.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by PHIL2011: 7:07pm On Dec 16, 2011
point of correction: my current supplier is offering me 20 bags per kg, while others are offering 24 bags per kg. These 4 bags mean and extra 60.000N per month for me!
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by remite66: 9:28pm On Dec 16, 2011
thank you Madam L. I will contact you when I arrive in Lagos.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by DEBOLABI: 7:04pm On Dec 17, 2011
@PHIL2011

nice post, and this is really encouraging, i really appreciate this and i believe every body in the forum will do same.

please @PHIL2011, can i have the detail analysis of the cost you incur on equipment procurement, structure of your building, nafdac fee etc.

please i will appreciate this, likewise your mobile number so i can call you if i'm in a tight corner. debolabi@yahoo.com

below is my forecast of fundamental/necessary equipment cost apart from borehole and others.

electrical                                   34000
sealing machine 1 270000 270000
20 x 4ft module 1 150000 150000
uv 8gpm                 1   40000   40000
jumbo housing         1   50000   50000
carbon filter         1     2500     2500
plumbing fittings 1   40000   40000
uv air steriliser         2   15000   30000
nafdac                                     30000

please comment on this analysis?

Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by PHIL2011: 3:15pm On Dec 19, 2011
@ DEBOLABI
This was my bill: - 1X Dingli sealing machine 310.000N,
- 2X Stainless tank 110.000N
- 4X Complete filter housing 22.000N
- 1X UV sterilizer 20.000N
- 1x filter hanger 2.000N
- 2X 1.0 water pump 32.000N
- 2X AW sterilizer 10.000N
- 10X Bags of Chemical 35.000N
- 1x pH Meter 12.000N
- 1xTds meter 12.000N
- 1x Beakes 3.000N
- 1X lab cylinder 3.000N
TOTAL: 569.000N
Also needed for pure water company: - Transport vehicle (I bought: Toyota Dyna 1.2M)
- Borehole (was already in place)
- the first down payment for pure water sachets (my supplier recommends
210.000N which is 500kg [about 2 weeks for 1 machine] or 420.000N which
is 1000kg [about 4 weeks for 1 machine)
- Company registration, lab analysis of water/ borehole, vaccinations of staff,
fumigation (against pests) + application report, university trained manager:
I actually payed someone
to handle all this paperwork: 250.000N - I believe you can do all this
yourself, but be prepared for a lot of hassle (all test results of fumigation/
borehole/ water/ vaccinations may not be older than 3 months when you
submit your application report. I actually met a guy trying to do it himself,
but had to redo everything because the reports had expired (his university
trained manager was not accepted, because this person was already working
in too many other water companies - and he ran out of time in finding
another person). Because of the stress I did not suffer I am happy I payed
someone to do the paperwork for me (and I am university trained),
although it did not come cheap.
I believe cheaper products can always be obtained. They have advised me that cheaper products will not last as
long. I'm happy with the service my supplier of equipment offers (I bought everything at the same company): he
can give me all the explanations that I need, make all the changes/ repairs I ask for, knows all the players
(NAFDAC, cellofilm, suppliers, labs, requierements, etc.) in the fiels, responds within
short notice, keeps to his words and has several qualified assistants who he can send. Today (about 9 months after
I first started) I am wondering if I hadn't been wiser to buy a second hand Dingli sealing machine and a cheaper
transport vehicle to start with.

@ Madam L: my current supplier is claiming that he can make 24 bags per 1 kg, but that the sachets will break easily - so he recommends me sticking to the 20 bags per 1 kg. I saw that you contacted Sundid (Sunday) - did you actually order his cello-film? How many bags per kg does he deliver? Where your customers satisfied with the quality?
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by madamL(f): 6:58pm On Dec 19, 2011
Debo I dont know what your rolls supplier is talking about but sure he is lying and preying on ur ignorance. Drop him.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by kabarka(m): 3:39pm On Dec 20, 2011
PHIL2011:

@ Madam L & Kabarka (your comments were vital eyeopeners for me). Our Pure Water business just got it’s NAFDAC number and is housed in payed off premises (in Benin: bag of pure water sells for 50N/ b80N in raining/ dry season) with:
- 1 packaging machine
-b 1 Toyota Dyna (4 tyres)
1) Why should there be a sales man among the workers? What does a sales man exactly do – since I thought the truck will be driving around and selling as it goes?
2) How can I team up with an excisting company to gain experience whilst having the Nafdac number and all machinery available to produce?
3) @ Madam L – at which vital points in your company did you place your two trusted people? I have 1 trusted person (in terms of integrity and diligence, but not in terms of hands on pure water business knowledge) and would like to know where exactly to place this person. What are the parameters you check to monitor the performance thaese trusted people?
4) What about setting up distributors- other than selling to them at a low price are there other incentives you can give them?
5) @ Kabarka: could you state the areas were you believe your e-books will be an added value to the information found in this thread?
Thanks philsappmp@gmail.com

@PHIL2011
My reply goes thus:
Q1,First of all,just as in every area of human endeavour,some ppl are devoted and faithful where as some behave like LovePeddlers.
When your worker approach a prospective customer,the customer buys because of many reasons among which are
a,Way of presentation
b,Ability to open simple conversation and convince the buyer
c,availability
d,name etc
Now,theres nothing wrong abt leaving your marketing to FATE.Infact you can do that if you enjoy a LOT of MONOPOLY but if you target a competitive market,the reverse is the case.You need a worker that can create regular customer for you.Someone articulate enough to know the rate of each customer.You need a niche that will sustain you and the closer this niche is to your factory the better.This does not mean you hire a fat salary earning worker as salesman but someone that can take simple instruction.Someone who can develop good inter-personal relationships infact a peoples' person is what you need.

Q2 Make a producer friend who is ready to share ideas and experiences.Attend ATWAP meeting and get one you are not competing with.

Q3 If he is not gud @ pure water production the office work(management) has to suit him.If this person is not educated or even if he is ,you have to create a system he has to follow.Someone has to be trusted to take simple account,count and note the number of bag being taken out and reconcil it with returns.Somebody has to stand in for you in your absence.

HOW DO YOU TEST AND QUALIFY THEM?
Ans:- over time.It is not a day job.You have to teach them,guide them,try them and test them.Come in when yöu are not expected to see whats going.Create scenario that does not exist in order to test them.TEST THE STRENGTH OF THEIR CHARACTER! Whenever their's problem,inquire how he handled it.Ofcoure test them in money areas.Again sometimes you may need to know them reach house or has a strong guarantor.

Q4 The answers to this question is reveal both in words and pictures in the ebook.It is what worked for us and can work for you too.

Q5, The difference between film producers.
How to make your money when you buy your film roll.
What the bigwigs do and how you can replicate it.
How to establish accounting system that can stand the test of time.
What to do to make customer stay with you forever,for example what separates one company from four others that are competing in a niche.And lots more real alife experience.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by surveycash(m): 3:56am On Dec 21, 2011
Sir, you are doing a great job here. May God increse your knowledge. Can I also have by mail the ebook on how to startup a profitable Pure Water Business?

Thank you,
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by cejo(m): 3:09pm On Dec 21, 2011
Xmas greetings to all NL member n api new year in advance.Im jus happy 4 dis forum because ideals helped me in my pure water production n distribution process many thankz to KABARKA n MADAM L + ORDERS,whose insight into this tread made gr8t meaning 2 oda aspiring members.
Well im selling at PH approved price,no credit sales,good customer relationship,booking early b4 running short of waterproofs n oda materials n enjoying d season generally.
D only problem i had was dat d very 2nd week of production i discovered dat there was wastage due to d enormous size of my water being bigger than 50/60cl abt 70/80cl, i called my technician n d machine was regulated(its settings),i had to change d producers of the nylon in oda to check if it was their nylon or the packaging machine settings.So d new nylon wil b comin 2morow while afta d resetting by my techinician its production was normal bt i knew i lost due to lesser number of bags produced for instance if 100kg shld giv me say 2000bags i was able 2 get btw 1400-1500bags.BT ive learnt dat lesson.
N/B:@kabarka n Madam L i need more advice from u on oda things 2 be expected at dis early stage into d biz.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by madamL(f): 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2011
@cejo. i suggest you get the e~book from kabarka. i believe you will get all you need to know there. he is also in the same town with you so befriend him. i know he is also a machine technician. why are u cutting water too big? some hawkers at oshodi told me once that they avoid big sachets it is heavy load to them. they will love to sell your water if you dont overburden them.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by kabarka(m): 11:11pm On Dec 23, 2011
madam L:

@cejo. why are u cutting water too big? some hawkers at oshodi told me once that they avoid big sachets it is heavy load to them. they will love to sell your water if you dont overburden them.

The above response is a good point from a concerned citizen.

But my viewpoint is as
follows-
i recommend sticking to the standard size of 50/60cl because the higher your size is above this standard size,the lower the yield and your PROFIT is affected instantly.
Re: Pure Water Biz(Discuss) by PHIL2011: 12:24am On Dec 26, 2011
@ everyone: Seasons greetings. I hope you all a beautiful X-mas. May you have a blessed & peaceful New Year. My special thanks go to Madam L & Kabarka - keep! up the good work in 2012 and may your dreams, hopes and plans be exceeded! smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (72) (Reply)

Lotto Forecast (sure Game) / Do It Yourself Importation Guide Free / MerryBet Punt For Pride IV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.