Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,593 members, 7,816,462 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca (11698 Views)

Wike’s Impeachment In The Offing So Soon?- By Kennedy Friday / Gej Lied About Being Loyal To His Wife - What Other Lies Are In The Offing / Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by bilymuse: 10:54pm On Apr 15, 2010
During the Abacha regime, Ojukwu collected money from Abacha and went globe trotting trying to drum up sopport for the regime. In one of his speech in Washinton DC he praised Abacha to high heaven, and said the annulment of June 12, and the continuous incarceration of Abiola is a good thing that would teach the Yoruba's a lesson. He supported the execution of Ken Saro Wiwa, according to him, its pay back time.

Finally he told his audience in Washinton DC , that Igbo people are going to produce the next president, all they need to do is to support Abacha regime.

More than 15 years later, Igbo people could not produce a VP. The Yoruba have taken their turn, now Ken Saro Wiwa cousin, an Ijaw man is on the throne. Ojukwu has sold you out, he has collected dividend upfront. If such a man is your hero , then this generation is doom.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by mamagee3(f): 11:23pm On Apr 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

So, in your warped sense, only dead soldiers are heroes?  undecided

Don't attract attention to yourself here please. We haven't forgotten what Mama-gee in Nollywood did for a living.  undecided
Hey, Mr Onlytruth or Onlymoron. . .

I'm entitled to my Opinions and nobody can change it not even your biased opinions. . .

I said the "Real" heroes, oh yes, a soldier isn't defined a hero only when they die. . .

But in this case, the real heroes are the dead soldiers who fought to secure our Independence not a guy who promised to lay his life for his country and then went on to dodge from a bomb attack on his Camp. grin

So, Pleaseee don't try feeding me with that Cock and Bull Story of Ojukwu is the Greatest Hero in Nigeria.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by OgidiBoy(m): 11:56pm On Apr 15, 2010
When the Ikemba of Nnewi lives this world to join his ancestors I wonder what kind of funeral Nnewi, Anambra, and the Igbo community would give

this hero. This is one time I pray I'll be in Nigeria to witness this event.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by sjeezy8: 12:13am On Apr 16, 2010
well im waiting for his daughter to turn 18 after which her biafran yansh is MINE grin

Okwa e mana egwu ka eji amara nde nwere ego ayyyyy!
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by akigbemaru: 5:09am On Apr 16, 2010
@ szjeezy8
Don't do that bro. You know a butcher will never allow anyone to brandish cutlass all around his or her  neck. Cows take a lot of perseverance, knife is odious to the neck.
I Startle as how Dede and Onlytruth blatantly displaying their "yeye" stupidity on this thread. This also amounts to their errant nonsense for publicly showering encomiums on a glorified geriatric pae//do//phi//le. Don't mIscontrue heroism with greediness, rapacity and precociosness. When it comes to Biafran war, you can praise Ojukwu's heroism, not on the level of old man wanting to gravitate is obscene or lewdly ferlatio virilty towards sweet-sixteen girls. Don't get it twisted that such dishonorable
acts is not the bane of just one tribe or better a nation; it amounts to huge societal condemnations to deface such incorrigible acts.
@dede
Would shut the f**** up, because you sound more intelligent when you close your mouth. It doesn't take a genius to discern that this "young lady" Bianca doesn't feel comfortable with this old man again. As they say, actions speak louder than voices. Err is human and nobody is above mistake, she knew she had made such a irremediable mistake which has also greatly defined her life. Who knows Oju-iku might have used levitation to succumb the innocent girl to his mischivious will.
This is a comphrensive lesson for you girls out there, especially to those "OBO OLEs". A word is enough for a wise; just a simple clarion call!
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by EzeUche(m): 5:17am On Apr 16, 2010
mama-gee:

I'm entitled to my Opinions and nobody can change it not even your biased opinions. . .

I said the "Real" heroes, oh yes, a soldier isn't defined a hero only when they die. . .

But in this case, the real heroes are the dead soldiers who fought to secure our Independence not a guy who promised to lay his life for his country and then went on to dodge from a bomb attack on his Camp. grin

So, Pleaseee don't try feeding me with that Cock and Bull Story of Ojukwu is the Greatest Hero in Nigeria.

Mama-gee!!! Shame on you! angry Alambalagada!

Nne gi bu akwunna! Do not ever insult Ojukwu you deluded Igbo woman! Obele nsi! Nne gi na Nna gi na umunnegi nile nwukwa idiot!
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by baslone: 7:02am On Apr 16, 2010
bilymuse:

During the Abacha regime, Ojukwu collected money from Abacha and went globe trotting trying to drum up sopport for the regime.

I don't believe this! His wife said he's not interested in Money!
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Afam(m): 8:03am On Apr 16, 2010
bilymuse:

Finally he told his audience in Washinton DC , that Igbo people are going to produce the next president, all they need to do is to support Abacha regime.

Just as some people have been spreading lies that Nzeribe collected money from IBB until people provided facts and information to prove otherwise. This is another shameless lie by a desperate person.

On Saro Wiwa, yes Ojukwu made the famous statement "Good morning" to Saro Wiwa when he came to beg the Igbos to help him in his Ogoni course in Enugu and Ojukwu told him that he was just seeing what he saw a quarter century ago and that he remembered the stand Saro Wiwa took at that time so the Igbos would not help him.

Saro Wiwa went to school in the Eastern region with Eastern region's money not oil money but he championed the abandoned properties project as he was made the youngest commissioner in the newly created Rivers state. What goes around comes around so call it nemesis or karma he simply reaped what he sowed. Months later he was hanged.

One good thing about this forum is that every single attempt made to rubbish the likes of Nzeribe and Ojukwu with lies has provided opportunities for others to clarify and provide information that many of us never knew about as we have all been fed with lies and misinformation to achieve one clandestine goal or the other by the manipulators of the information.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by medolala: 8:07am On Apr 16, 2010
@ metal-gong
hank you for acknowledging at least one good thing about the Igbos;unfortunately, the world is still waiting to see the usefulness of you lazy and parasitic yorubas to the cesspit called Nigeria.

You even wrote about political leaders, I guess Tinubu, segun Oni, Alao Akala,Awolowo, Obasanjo et cetera are the much touted political leaders of Yoruba extraction. A society where these criminals and wimps are the only leaders they can boast of, goes a long way to show how bereft of leaders you Yoruba men are. However, I must admit that your political leaders are really good in thuggery and assasinations .

[color=Black][/color]

First i'll like to apologise to all my Igbo brothers. this might sound insulting but it is only meant for metal-gong and his likes who don't know anything except how to yapp there mouth at others.

i know a lot of cool igbo dudes and don't have a thing against Ikemba or Bianca. As far as am concerned however there life is, is really non of my biz. Ikemba did what he had to at that period. It cost the igbo populace dearly but no war is without reason,

But, It is obvious that you are one of those arrogant and uneducated Igbo loud mouths that has been oppotuned to have the inclination of what the internet is (won't be surprised if you are one of those businessman dropouts, online scammers, or local 419).

You guys are so easy to notice. its like a sign post on your forehead that reads " look at me, am a loudmouth"

always ego tripping (and falling by the road side)

you people flock into Lagos like sheep without a herdsman and destroy everything that gets in contact with you. you are involved in all sorts of illicit businesses & call yourselves businessmen, *humm! -   a lame excuse for an entrepreneur.

for your info; Yorubas are enterprising and so are some Igbos and hausas!
So stop acting like a jerk and speak maturely next time you have something to say.   wink
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by igboboy1(m): 9:07am On Apr 16, 2010
I dey bow for this yoruba peeps o, Werrin concern Ojukwu with Odua people?'

Una dey worship and praise Obasanjo, your oba's, Bode george etc we talk?

Abeg make una concern yourself with una matter and leave igbo peeps with their own matter shooooo
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 9:09am On Apr 16, 2010
Lol! Mama-gee has gone gaga! lmfao!  grin

The Ikemba is an IGBO ICON and stainless. He is my idea of a leader. I am one of his students and I'll try to get as many young Igbos as possible to enroll in the school of Ikemba"ism" -single minded love and devotion.  cool
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by baslone: 9:39am On Apr 16, 2010
Afam:

Saro Wiwa went to school in the Eastern region with Eastern region's money not oil money but he championed the abandoned properties project as he was made the youngest commissioner in the newly created Rivers state. What goes around comes around so call it nemesis or karma he simply reaped what he sowed. Months later he was hanged.

Mind what you say, Saro was never a coward because he died for the cause he was fighting for!
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by cap28: 10:05am On Apr 16, 2010
the reason he hasnt thought about writing these his so called memoirs until now is that what is left of his conscience continues to prick him, he knows that he is a charlatan and a fraud who caused 3m innocent people to lose their lives because of his delusional political ambitions.  I do not know of any true leader or man of the people who after losing out to an elite power structure, GOES BACK TO TRY AND FORM AN ALLIANCE WITH THEM - this man embarked on a suicide mission because of his thirst for power, many delusional igbos continue to worship and genuflect before this megalomaniac, they are totally brainwashed and browbeaten by the fact that he came from a wealthy background and studied at Eton and Oxford - my answer to that is - so what? Were other great revolutionaries educated at elite institutions? Did Chavez attend Oxford or Cambridge, Did Fidel Castro attend Yale or Harvard? if anything his foreign education instilled an exaggerated sense of self importance in him, im sure he continues to be haunted by the images from that terrible war and the needless loss of lives.

If this man truly stood for the good of igbos what on earth was he doing fraternising with the likes of abacha?
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by cap28: 11:10am On Apr 16, 2010
A man who was poised to cash in on power, grandeur and history if the "toil, sweat, tear and blood" of his people pay off, and prepared to run away if everything goes crashing, is not a hero, not even a leader, but an opportunist who gambled with human lives

Tochukwu Ezukanma i applaud you for being a courageous and honest igbo man unafraid to say what most brainwashed igbos are too s.tu.p.i.d to see and accept as the truth. This man Ojukwu used and betrayed igbos - and yet many continue to sing his praises like the pathetic gullible i.d.i.o.t.s that they are.

Ojukwu is an elitist, he never gave a hoot about the people - it was all about him and his relentless thirst for power, unfortunately he didnt care how many lives it would cost him as long as he didnt lose his own life in the process.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by 1Emmy: 11:34am On Apr 16, 2010
Ojukwu remains a hero, a man who fearlessly fought a civil war against housa, yorubas even the united kingdom. Can any tribe raise even a riot against all tribes in Nigeria.
Most of you fools have the guts to call him names. Fools
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Afam(m): 11:54am On Apr 16, 2010
baslone:

Mind what you say, Saro was never a coward because he died for the cause he was fighting for!

Do you have a problem comprehending english language? My comment was based on something - seizing the properties of Igbo people even when he went to school using Eastern region money (not oil money) and still went back to beg the Igbos to help him in the Ogoni struggle. A request that was rightly rejected based on the man's actions not speculations or mere allegations.

cap28:

Tochukwu Ezukanma i applaud you for being a courageous and honest igbo man unafraid to say what most brainwashed igbos are too s.tu.p.i.d to see and accept as the truth. This man Ojukwu used and betrayed igbos - and yet many continue to sing his praises like the pathetic gullible i.d.i.o.t.s that they are.

Ojukwu is an elitist, he never gave a hoot about the people - it was all about him and his relentless thirst for power, unfortunately he didnt care how many lives it would cost him as long as he didnt lose his own life in the process.

@cap28,

I want you to keep a list of the number of times you have called those that have not joined you in abusing Ojukwu idiooooottttts or stupiiiidddd. Just in case you turn around to complain when you are addressed in like manner.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by AzukaO(m): 12:02pm On Apr 16, 2010
The first time I went to Ojukwu's house and saw him feeding and playing with his and Bianca's kids, I was somewhat embarrassed that this IRON-MAN could be doing such menial and unbecoming things. He was doting over his kids and wife and behaving like a teenager in love for the first time.

But looking back, I saw that that is why young ladies usually prefer older men to young men, because older men over-pamper their young wives and children begotten at old age the way grandpas/grandmas 'spoil' their grandchildren, unlike young men who usually go into marriage with over-sized ego and lick their wounds soon after.

Just look at the rate our celebrity marriages are crashing in Nigeria and thank God that Ojukwu and Bianca have been together this far.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by AzukaO(m): 12:33pm On Apr 16, 2010
Excerpts of Bianca's interview with The Sun

How long have you been married to Dim Odumegwu Ojukwu
We have been into a relationship since 1989 but we got married formally on November 12, 1994. We have been together for over 20 years because we have been living together since 1989.

How old were you and how old was he at the time
Well I was 22 while he was in his mid 50s

People considered you too young for him at that time. How did you feel then.
Its not your conventional relationship. Looking back now I certainly realise that I was very young at that time but it didn’t seem to matter because we had so much in common and we had good communication. The gap was not there in our day-to-day interactions. People found the relationship a bizarre one because of the age difference but it is only now when I look back, now that I have children of my own that I realise that it was rather unusual.

You were so much in love at the time that you didn’t notice any disparity in your ages.
I don’t know whether I would classify it as being in love. I just know that the difference tended to melt away when compared to the common grounds that we had. We had a similar background and we had so much to talk about. We had common interests and we just did a lot of things together. We went to see plays at the theatre, we went on vacations and there was just no disparity in our interaction. I didn’t feel it at the time.

How come you are feeling it now
No I don’t feel it now because we have got used to each other having been together for so long. I always say to him I am like the furniture in your house. We are too used to each other. I can complete his sentences and he can complete mine. Really I think at the end of the day that’s what is imperative in every relationship. You must be able to communicate. He understands me fully and he appreciates that mine has been a life of dedication to him. I know the travails he has been through and I appreciate that a man such as him needs somebody to step in and play the role of wife, sister and mother simultaneously and give him peace of mind in his day to day life.

Would you say therefore that you were psychologically prepared to be Ojukwu’s wife
I come from a political family. If that is being psychologically prepared well I am not the one to say so. But I think I had to shoulder a lot of responsibilities beyond what somebody of my age would reasonably be expected to go through. I had to learn in the process. I think I have done well because it requires diplomacy and the fact that sometimes you have to get out of your skin to mediate in conflicts that will generally arise around a man of his stature. It’s been quite challenging but I thank God that I have been able to navigate the terrain.

Has it ever occurred to you that people never gave this marriage a chance, yet it has lasted this long. How does that make you feel

I feel blessed. I have known friends in more conventional marriages, who break up, remarry and break up again in this space of time and I am still here. I thank God for his grace because nobody gave this thing a chance of survival. In all honesty I was really young at that time and I did believe that I could handle it. Now when I look back I wonder how I did it. That was not a situation your average 22-year-old could handle. Normally the disparity ought to make the interests different. But the truth is that I didn’t miss those things the average 22-year old would want, like going to parties, clubs and the like. Those were not my interest. Though people have always said that I am very old fashioned and I didn’t have those things that propel people of my age. I wanted a stable marriage. I wanted to live with a man that I had a lot in common with and a man that I could spend the rest of my life with. Having said that the truth is that it requires a lot of sacrifice, commitment and hard work to be able to make it work.

Was it that you had to grow up to him or he had to come down to you? How was the mix
No question about that, I had to grow up to him. I had to learn to interact with people who were a lot older than I was. Generally from the time I was 22 people who were coming to our various homes were people of his age. They were his friends and by extension they have become my friends too. I give God the glory. He has some of the most dedicated, committed and loyal friends who are dedicated to him and to his struggle. I feel privileged to have met those categories of people. I consider them as family. So I had to grow up to his life.

You were not scared by that calibre of people
Don’t forget that I am the daughter of a former governor. My father was the Governor of old Anambra State, now consisting of Enugu and parts of Ebonyi. So I was certainly not intimidated because we had such regular high calibre people visiting us. There were Presidents, ex-presidents, Ambassadors, governors were frequent visitors. I was not intimidated in the least. It was just a progression. Just that the same calibre of people were now visiting in another house. The routine was basically the same, just a little bit accentuated.

Obviously he loves you and says it to anyone who cares to listen. What are the things he does differently to you that also gives you the impression that he really does love you

I think it is the absolute trust that he has in me, the faith. I think every man is looking for a replacement for his mother. That’s one thing I have learnt. In life every man looks for that woman who would not just be his wife but his mother, whose paramount objective is to ensure that he can be the best man he is meant to be. I wouldn’t say that he loves me in an irrational way.

Perhaps in me he has been able to find that combination of wife and mother. The mother element is very important because its only your mother that you would trust so absolutely to be able to deliver the best judgments and to be able to pull you back when they think you are doing something wrong. It is just to have absolute trust in your judgment and go to bed with both eyes closed. A lot of people don’t have that in their families. A lot of men find that their wives tend to be quite demanding and impatient and the men then reflect that in their attitude. But I think a woman cannot get the best out of any man by nagging him or making him feel bad and less of a man. But if you let him be a man then you get the best out of him. That’s what has helped this marriage to stay the way it is today.

MY COMMENTS

Single guys and babes on Nairaland should listen to Bianca and follow her words if they want to have the marriage of their dream.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Nobody: 2:03pm On Apr 16, 2010
Somehow I don't believe Ojukwu really is an ethnic champion despite what some fascist elements here want us to believe. By upbringing and orientation he was and still is very much a One Nigeria man.
However he has always been a very politically ambitious man. That has always been his primary motivation.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Eziachi: 2:13pm On Apr 16, 2010
bilymuse:

During the Abacha regime, Ojukwu collected money from Abacha and went globe trotting trying to drum up sopport for the regime. In one of his speech in Washinton DC he praised Abacha to high heaven, and said the annulment of June 12, and the continuous incarceration of Abiola is a good thing that would teach the Yoruba's a lesson. He supported the execution of Ken Saro Wiwa, according to him, its pay back time.

Since you know more than his wife, can you tell us the number of the cheque Abacha used in paying him or wasn't it in cash? You will only leave the bottom that farted and start knocking the head. If I remember correctly, Abacha's number two was Abiola's brother Ola Diya, most of Abacha's ministers were Abiola's brothers including Abacha’s attorney general that was formulating all the decrees and his name is Olu Onagoruwa. Abacha's chief money Launderer was Aloa Arisokola, another of Abiola's brothers, the Mr Mudashiru that provided info to trail Kudirath to murder her is not Ojukwu's cousin. Shonekan is Abiola’s brother, the same for the famous apostle of Abiola is not the messiah we are looking for and his name is Mr OBJ- again Abiola’s brother. It was Oni of Ife and your traditional rulers, the first to land at Aso Rock on their usual solidarity visit to IBB then, immediately after the annulment and told him that the annulment is an act of god, probably Sango god. So if you are looking for the killers of June 12, please look closely at home.
Ojukwu despite his privilege upbringing and background is not a materialistic man, as you have heard from the horse’s mouth, that is why he pitched his tenth and stake his neck out to support Peter Obi because he saw the same quality in Obi. As for Ken Saro Wiwa, he was executed by his former friends and has nothing to do with Ikemba. Abacha use to sit at the same executive council with Wiwa during Diette Spiffe’s Rivers state government as a commissioner and Abacha, the commandant of the 32 amphibious brigades in Port Harcourt, while Ojukwu was in exile. Always get you facts first. I know you don't care about facts because you live and breathe fantasies.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Eziachi: 2:17pm On Apr 16, 2010
mama-gee:

So what criteria did you use to come to your conclusion that in the Biafra case, your real heroes are only the dead ones? It will be nice to hear your great wisdom is this regard.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Eziachi: 2:32pm On Apr 16, 2010
cap28:

Tochukwu Ezukanma i applaud you for being a courageous and honest igbo man unafraid to say what most brainwashed igbos are too s.tu.p.i.d to see and accept as the truth.  This man Ojukwu used and betrayed igbos - and yet many continue to sing his praises like the pathetic gullible i.d.i.o.t.s that they are.

I learn new thing every day, as in your warped opinion, the far less minority now tend to carry the vote in your best of wisdom. 35 million gullible and idiotic Igbo men against your one man Igbo hero-Tochukwu Ezukanma. A name you don't even know if it's real or not and I hope your Igbo hero will have the gut to express his wonderful wisdom among his family members, let alone his town folks and then live the next day to tell you more of his wisdom. Ojukwu betrayed the Igbo’s, you told us, and I wonder who is exactly this I Igbo’s you are crying your eyes out for? That must include me I suppose. Nice of you to care so much about us gullible and betrayed Igbo’s who can't recognise their ignorance and needed you the messiah to remind them. You deserve a chieftaincy title for that.

But you fool no one. Hypocrites always shed crocodile tears and cry more than the bereaved. They will kill you in the bush and jumped out of the road to organise your funeral and carry the casket themself.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by EzeCanada: 3:48pm On Apr 16, 2010
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 4:00pm On Apr 16, 2010
cap28:

the reason he hasnt thought about writing these his so called memoirs until now is that what is left of his conscience continues to prick him, he knows that he is a charlatan and a fraud who caused 3m innocent people to lose their lives because of his delusional political ambitions.  I do not know of any true leader or man of the people who after losing out to an elite power structure, GOES BACK TO TRY AND FORM AN ALLIANCE WITH THEM - this man embarked on a suicide mission because of his thirst for power, many delusional igbos continue to worship and genuflect before this megalomaniac, they are totally brainwashed and browbeaten by the fact that he came from a wealthy background and studied at Eton and Oxford - my answer to that is - so what? Were other great revolutionaries educated at elite institutions? Did Chavez attend Oxford or Cambridge, Did Fidel Castro attend Yale or Harvard? if anything his foreign education instilled an exaggerated sense of self importance in him, im sure he continues to be haunted by the images from that terrible war and the needless loss of lives.

If this man truly stood for the good of igbos what on earth was he doing fraternising with the likes of abacha?

Ojukwu did not attent Eton College; he attended Epsom college in Surrey.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Dede1(m): 4:07pm On Apr 16, 2010
bilymuse:

[size=15pt]OJUKWU & IGBO LEADERSHIP[/size]

By
Tochukwu Ezukanma

I am ambivalent about the past because on the one hand, the past is irretrievably lost, but on the other hand, the present is only a reflection of the past, and an understanding of the past provides necessary tools for resolving the problems of the present. So, while there are many more contemporary issues that should rivet the focus of most imaginative writers, I cannot help to retrospect, and glean insights from the events of the past. As we ponder the vast scene of confusion that is our beloved country, are we not confronted with the inexorable reality that our present problems are the direct results of the happenings of yesteryears. Not surprisingly, as I brood over the plight of the Igbo nation, I am irresistibly drawn to the past, to the civil war. While there may be some fundamental cultural and historical factors that militate against Igbo political progress, it was the civil war that actually deal the Igbo a bludgeoning blow. To really address the present Igbo political problems, we cannot escape an objective assessment of that war and the central figure in that war, Chukwuemeka Ojukwu.

Ojukwu's recent presence in the Washington DC area did not inspire much enthusiasm within the Igbo community. The Igbo's earlier perception of him was shaped through the distorted prisms of the Biafran propaganda. The Biafran propaganda apotheosized him, so, in the Igbo minds, he became something of a deity, an invaluable political asset. But, over the years, he proved himself a political profligate, improvidently spending his political capital. His repeated political blunders, especially, that his infamous waltz with Sani Abacha demystified and stripped him of much of his political legitimacy. It left him devoid of any political good will, except for the lingering grip of the Biafran propaganda on some Igbo minds.

As an emissary of the Abacha government, he was in Washington DC. His mission then was to burnish the badly blemished image of the Abacha government, evidently for a consideration. It was 1995, and he stood before an exclusively Igbo audience. As usual, he was a riveting presence: a consummate orator, a captivating demagogue. With credulous and adoring listeners, he was spouting some half truths, twisted facts and some downright falsehood; and his audience in their gullibility were applauding.

That forum reinforced my earlier conviction that the problem with politicians is that they generally lie too much, that the problem with their following is that they barely think, and that it is the volatile mix of these two worrisome realities that has brought the world most of its political calamities.

He said that the Igbo will provide the next Nigerian president. Surprisingly, this statement drew a thunderous applause from his audience. I was appalled by this brazen piece of demagoguery. I crafted some questions for him. I wanted to rattle him with some pointed questions. I raised my hand frantically, but I was not allowed the opportunity to ask any of my questions. The self-appointed Igbo leaders of Washington DC were at work. It was their evening, and they were putting a spin on it. They have a penchant for ingratiating the Nigerian Embassy, and fawning over every important visitor from Nigeria. So, in their customary sycophancy, they orchestrated the event in a way that will preclude serious questions that may disconcert the August visitor. Applicants for the most menial jobs are subjected to rigorous interviews. Lamentably, men who lay claim to the leadership of a people are shielded from meaningful questions from those whom they supposedly lead. Evidently, we carried across the Atlantic elements of that hero-worshipping that imperiled accountability in Nigeria public life.

The Igbo producing the next president as of 1995? Staggering nonsense! After all, Moshood Abiola who was wasting away in jail as of then was a crony of the northern dominated military elite and an intimate friend of the northern aristocracy. Moreover, like the majority of the northerners, he was a Moslem. If the northern powerbrokers could not trust him with power, what Igbo could they have entrusted with it.

In the same speech, he also extolled the Constitutional Conference. The Constitutional Conference was tendentious rubbish, a gaudy political ploy that kept the politicians busy while Abacha tightened his hold on power. It was something of a nursery game at which a bunch of venal politicians played at the supervision of Sani Abacha. Ojukwu and the other Igbo leaders stampeded into the Constitutional Conference ostensibly to "enshrine" rotational presidency, and the devolution of power to regional units in the new constitution. What of the previous constitutions, and all the grandiose ideals enshrined in them? Were they not all violated, and shoved aside at the whims of the northern feudal lords and their military surrogates. If all previous constitutions were tossed away as worthless pieces of paper, what was to ensure the sacrosanctity of the one written by the Constitutional Conference? If the Hausa/Fulani as of then were refusing to rotate the presidency with the Yoruba who had been their allies for about 30 years, why would anyone expect them to rotate it with the Igbo whose presidency, in the words of Abubakar Umar (supposedly, a progressive), "will be too much for the country to bear"?

I had a feeling that Ojukwu left that forum dismayed by the quality of his listeners, that is, not knowing that it was the hero-worshippers in their traditional shamelessness who deliberately searched out mostly the incoherent, and inarticulate to ask questions. Is Ojukwu really a hero, or do we just glory in nonentities?

In a naval battle in the South Atlantic, the British Navy disabled a German warship, and the commander of the German warship, Hans Langsdorff shot himself in the head. In his suicide note, he stated that "for a captain with a sense of honor, his personal fate cannot be separated from that of his ship". Ship, captain, and honor. What of nation, leader, and honor? "In politics and statecraft", Richard Nixon once wrote "power means life or death, prosperity or poverty, happiness or tragedy for millions of people".

Honor linked the personal fate of a captain to that of his ship. So, quite naturally, honor should inextricably bind the personal fate of a leader to the life or death, happiness or tragedy of his people. Ojukwu led the Igbo in a war against northern domination of Nigeria. That war was not wrong in itself. However, while there were insinuating circumstances that impugned the basis for one Nigeria, Biafranism was not the only political option open to the Igbo. Eastern Region of Nigeria, even Igboland was not an ideological monolith. There were contending views as to the response to the mass murder Easterners in northern Nigeria. There were knowledgeable and respectable voices who urged for a more circumspect approach. Nnamdi Azikiwe among others disagreed with Ojukwu's methods, and counseled against his policy of secession. Ojukwu ignored and/or suppressed all such dissenting views, and set off on his own political course. So, he is liable for Biafranism, and all the pains, sorrows, and ravages it wrought on the Igbo. Even the qualified endorsement of secession by the Ojukwu appointed Consultative Assembly does not in any way exonerate him from this responsibility.

Yakubu Gowon was then an ill-baked, insecure and mild-mannered ethnic and religious minority foisted on Nigeria by the northern feudal lords and neo-colonial interests. He was inexorably beholden to his northern masters and Yoruba allies. Still, he is culpable for the war to keep Nigeria and all its concomitant horrors. Even in democracies where the leader's choices are circumscribed by the constitutional prerogatives of the parliament/congress, the leader is still held answerable to his political decisions and actions. For example, in spite of the intrinsic limitations placed on leadership by the institutional moorings of democracy, it will be most grotesque to suggest that Winston Churchill was not responsible for the British stance in the 2nd World War, or that President Roosevelt be not accountable for both the New Deal and American involvement in the 2nd World War.

Soldiers by both training and orientation are ill equipped for political leadership. Edward Gibbon, that 18th century man of letters, once wrote that ", the temper of soldiers, habituated at once to violence and (servitude), renders them very unfit guardians of a legal or even a civil constitution. Justice, humanity, or political wisdom, are qualities they are too little acquainted with in themselves to appreciate them in others". In spite of these inherent handicaps, the soldiers were thrust into Nigeria politics by a political accident. They were neither expecting it nor prepared for it. Out of the confines of the barracks and the parochialism and regimentation of military life, these young army officers were overnight saddled with enormous powers and responsibilities. That mixture of military brashness, political power and youthful ebullience was to be a dangerous experiment. Yakubu Gowon, probably conscious of his limitations, sought the advise of the politicians - older men and experienced men. Ojukwu, on the other hand, befogged by his imperiousness, arrogance and superciliousness, ignored the counsel of older and experienced politicians, notably Nnamdi Azikiwe.

Azikiwe, although notorious for his equivocation and inconsistence, was still universally revered for his learning, prudence and experience. It was a profound act of irresponsibility for a 33year old soldier to rebuff the political advise of the father of Nigerian nationalism renowned for his political instincts and intellectual penetration. It smacked in the face of the traditional Igbo, actually African respect for age and the wisdom of the elders. He chose to tread his own political path, a path devoid of the foresight, staidness and somber reflection of the elder, but replete with youthful impulsiveness, wanton despotism and military license. Not surprisingly, he led the Igbo into a quagmire of powerlessness and helplessness.

By building an autonomous power structure that defied, and to some extent repressed the traditional Igbo political power structure, he disjointed and severely weakened the Igbo leadership order. Historically and culturally, the Igbo do not readily submit to a hierarchical social order, or coalesce around a leader. So, the pre-1966 power establishment in Igboland must have been painstakingly cobbled together over many decades. Ojukwu's repudiation of the established Igbo leadership form, rocked that traditional power structure to its core. Subsequent swipes at it after the civil war only furthered the deterioration of an already decrepit system. War is an infernal monster that racks, devours and devastates. It generally takes its highest toll on the youths. With their reckless idealism, impressionable minds and an excitability that can easily be kindled, they are readily whipped into a frenzy. Youthful idealism and exuberance are forged into combat material by military training, a zombification process that drills men into obeying orders unquestioningly. The word "infantry" evolved from the French word for child because of the child-like compliance instilled in soldiers. For every soldier thus trained, armed, and ordered into battle, his stake is clear. He is staking his life for some lofty ideals as made believe by the leadership. But, what are the moral obligations of that supreme commander who is ordering young men to their death in droves from the comfort and security of his bunker? What are the stakes for him that has convinced young men that the struggle was worth their lives, hundreds of thousands of them?

Some leaders in history dramatized the stakes of leadership under such circumstances. As the German Third Reich with all its attendant dreams tumbled down, Adolf Hitler took his own life, and Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's minister for propaganda, killed his six children,. and with his wife, Magda, committed suicide. When her revolt against Roman suzerainty ended in her defeat, the Icenic queen, Boudica, drank poison and died. But, as it all closed in on Emeka Ojukwu, he packed his bag and baggage and ran away.

The civil war exposed the Igbo to untold hardship. The Igbo persevered in the fight because they believed in the superior validity of their cause, and were acutely conscious of the unmitigated danger of northern hegemony. That war decimated the flower and promise of Igboland (it is estimated that hundreds of thousands of Igbo youth died in that war), and the associated hunger took a devastating toll on the Biafran populace. It did irreparable damages to many families, and irretrievably shattered many dreams.

If the war for Igbo self-determination was worth that many lives, and such a colossal sacrifice, was it not worth Ojukwu's life? If Biafranism was not Ojukwuism, that is, if in Biafra, Ojukwu was not merely serving a personal interest, or realizing a personal ambition, if he was giving expression to the collective aspirations of the Igbo, then his personal survival of the war was not important, because there will always be men to lead the Igbo, and consequently give voice to the Igbo interests and aspirations in accordance with the social and political realities of the time. These men need to be guided by examples. Ojukwu should have therefore been prepared to die with Biafra as a tribute to the hundreds of thousands of men who died obeying his orders, an atonement for the pains and sorrow his decisions and choices cost his people, and above all, as an example to future generations of Igbo leaders. The example being that no Igbo leader should ever abandon the Igbo in times of adversity, that every Igbo man, especially, those in authority - those who have been entrusted with the fate of the entire ethnic group - must be ready to make the ultimate sacrifice for the Igbo nation.

The public good requires the rigorous subordination of the individual to the nation. According to Richard Goodman, "the process of the individual life is bound by irrevocable limits"; it is but a blip in time inexorably sandwiched between birth and death - just a breathe that can be snuffed out by the vagaries of life. On the other hand, the life of the nation is eternal.

Therefore no sacrifice made by the individual for the group can ever be too much. The obsession by man to cling unto to life is laudable, even sublime as long as it is not given precedence to the welfare of the entire group. As the war ended, the issue was not Ojukwu's personal survival, but the future of the Igbo nation. Laying the ground rule for this future was more important for the Igbo nation than the continued existence of any one individual, because irrespective of any one's station in life, he is but a dispensable cog of history.

The future of a people is predicated on their collective attitudinal disposition (especially attitude towards sacrifice, honor and loyalty) and the quality of their leaders. Ojukwu led the Igbo through the most trying period of their history. To the Igbo, the civil war was both attitudinal and psychological watershed. Wars, especially of such devastation brings about a convulsive transformation of the society, a sharp break with the past. This break was obvious in different facets of Igbo life, but especially in the Igbo mindset; there was a psychological and attitudinal shift. Overhanging this shift was Ojukwu's abandonment of the Igbo.

Ojukwu's desertion of the Igbo had a subliminal, but profound effect on the Igbo psyche. It perverted the Igbo value system, and debased her public virtue. Subliminally, it impressed on the Igbo, especially those in authority that it was alright to use your people for personal advancement, and abandon them when things go wrong. It ushered into the Igbo ranks a new culture - a culture of opportunism. It is this culture of opportunism, more than any other single factor that has been the bane of the Igbo nation since the end of the civil war.

A man who was poised to cash in on power, grandeur and history if the "toil, sweat, tear and blood" of his people pay off, and prepared to run away if everything goes crashing, is not a hero, not even a leader, but an opportunist who gambled with human lives. On the other hand, we should always respect the courage, and determination of those men who made up that ill-equipped, but indomitable army that bogged down the Nigerian military machine for nearly 3 years. We should always appreciate the sacrifices of those young men who had their lives rent permanently, and their future turned bleak by the crippling and disfiguring injuries they sustained fighting for Biafra. Finally, we should always remember, and pay tribute to those fallen heroes who laid down their youthful lives for Biafra.

Dec 2002

I know that reasonable individuals will take the side of prudent before hoisting conjectural craps cull from Internet as a protestant placard. Billygoat, I have long taken a leaf from fact that if you show me your friend I shall tell you what you constitute. I have known Tochukwu Ezukanma for very long period. I think you would agree with me that it is completely out of norms for a person who is more than 33 years old and colossally failed to save his stay in USA due to redeemable immigration problem had no moral justification to level blistering indictment on Ojukwu’s political shrewdness or lack thereof at the same age.

I attended the aforementioned gathering between Ojukwu and Ndigbo in Washington, DC and remained one of those who admired and at the time scolded Ojukwu for committing one of the worst military blunder in the annals of military history by appointing Banjo as the commander of 101 BEF. I shall inform you that Ojukwu displayed yet again the love he had for fellow Biafrans when he personally appealed to the rowdy crowd to accord courtesy to the few that mustered the courage to question some of the Ojukwu’s rationales during the war.

I am not surprised that this arrant nonsense emanated from Tochukwu who joined forces with one Dr. Okoroji to spearhead the foolish support for the so-called June 12. Believe me anybody that supports the alleged shameful election that deemed MKO Abiola of International Total Thief (ITT) pedigree as duly elected Nigerian presidential candidate is an irredeemable slowpoke. It is only in a cesspit called Nigeria that discernable electorate would elect a renowned embezzler such as MKO Abiola as dog catcher.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by beeke(m): 4:09pm On Apr 16, 2010
To all those Ojukwu haters i have just two words 4yall Zap YALL  incase u don know IKEMBA NNEWI is like Nelson Madiba Mendela of Igboland so if u dont have anything to say please shut the Zap.u.p

i cannot but notice one billymouse that guy is full of s.t.u.pidi.ty in the highest level

Long live Ikemba nnewi
Long live Eze Ndigbo
Long live Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

if you truly know wot Odumegwu means
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 4:16pm On Apr 16, 2010
Dede1:

I know that reasonable individuals will take the side of prudent before hoisting conjectural craps cull from Internet as a protestant placard. Billygoat, I have long taken a leaf from fact that if you show me your friend I shall tell you what you constitute. I have known Tochukwu Ezukanma for very long period. I think you would agree with me that it is completely out of norms for a person who is more than 33 years old and colossally failed to save his stay in USA due to redeemable immigration problem had no moral justification to level blistering indictment on Ojukwu’s political shrewdness or lack thereof at the same age.

I attended the aforementioned gathering between Ojukwu and Ndigbo in Washington, DC and remained one of those who admired and at the time scold Ojukwu for committing one of the worst military blunder in the annals of military history by appointing Banjo as the commander of 101 BEF. I shall inform you that Ojukwu displayed yet again the love he had for fellow Biafrans when he personally appealed to the rowdy crowd to accord courtesy to the few that mustered the courage to question some of the Ojukwu’s rationales during the war.

I am not surprised that this arrant nonsense emanated from Tochukwu who joined forces with one Dr. Okoroji to spearhead the foolish support for the so-called June 12. Believe me anybody that supports the alleged shameful election that deemed MKO Abiola of International Total Thief (ITT) pedigree as duly elected Nigerian presidential candidate is an irredeemable slowpoke. It is only in a cesspit called Nigeria that discernable electorate would elect a renowned embezzler such as MKO Abiola as dog catcher.   

The hate in your heart stops you from analysing issues logically. What as MKO got to do with this thread? You can call MKO an embezzler but at least he didn't run away like a coward. He died in prison for a cause he believed in. Whether you believed in that cause is your prerogative. If you don't want to hear the truth about Ojukwu, you had better leave MKO out of this.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by beeke(m): 4:34pm On Apr 16, 2010
bilymuse:

During the Abacha regime, Ojukwu collected money from Abacha and went globe trotting trying to drum up sopport for the regime.

billymouse Wot the hell have you been smoking lately and who the f.c.k told you that Ikemba Nnewi took money from abacha or anybody becos your people steal and loot the treasury dos not mean every other person is a thief if u know dis MAN every well u will start to realise how STU.P.ID u can be. indeed you are a sillymouse  shocked shocked shocked shocked WTF
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Eziachi: 5:05pm On Apr 16, 2010
cap28:

the reason he hasnt thought about writing these his so called memoirs until now is that what is left of his conscience continues to prick him,  he knows that he is a charlatan and a fraud who caused 3m innocent people to lose their lives because of his delusional political ambitions.  I do not know of any true leader or man of the people who after losing out to an elite power structure, GOES BACK TO TRY AND FORM AN ALLIANCE WITH THEM - this man embarked on a suicide mission because of his thirst for power, many delusional igbos continue to worship and genuflect before this megalomaniac, they are totally brainwashed and browbeaten by the fact that he came from a wealthy background and studied at Eton and Oxford - my answer to that is - so what? Were other great revolutionaries educated at elite institutions? Did Chavez attend Oxford or Cambridge, Did Fidel Castro attend Yale or Harvard? if anything his foreign education instilled an exaggerated sense of self importance in him, im sure he continues to be haunted by the images from that terrible war and the needless loss of lives.

Since you believe that 35 million Igbos are brainwashed for almost fifty years, you must be extra ordinary brainy. And these brainwashed men and women includes icons like Chinua Achebe and I know you must have got one or two things to say about Achebe too, maybe how he betrayed the Ndigbo by writing things fall apart, as nothing is impossible with you when it comes to Ndigbo. Now, Please don’t tell me how many Igbo friends you got!!
Also since you happened to know Ojukwu’s mind to know why his memoir is delayed, can you kindly tell us when he will die as you seem to know better than even your god. Now your question is whether Castro had oxford degree therefore why should Ojikwu going to Oxford at the time important? I am sure if Ojukwu is a semi illiterate like Obasanjo, Babangida, Abacha or Buhari, you must surely also had qualms with him. Castro/Cher is now your heroes but what made them heroes in your eyes is exactly what Ojukwu tried to do, protecting defenceless people in the face of genocide.
Ojukwu did not sanction starvation of children as a weapon of war. He did not seize the money from the poor war victim and refugees as a collective sadistic punishment; he did not ban even importation of frozen fish for hungry war survivors as their further punishment and confiscated the roof over their head and declared it abandoned while they sleep on the streets. He did not make the policy to call people they said to be bunch of traders as “educational advantaged” just to deny them places in the university for almost 35 years. But still, those behind these policies and agendas were you heroes and those you look up to.
It is time to put or just shut up! So my challenge to you now is to point out one, not two things Ojukwu did or said that had affected your life and that of your family in the negatives in any form or shape. I am waiting!!
Your new vocation now is crying for millions of Igbos that they are fools because they recognised a genuine and uncorrupted leader when they see one in a country where corruption is past time. All in your greatest wisdom. Again, put up or shut up!!
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Afam(m): 5:15pm On Apr 16, 2010
Katsumoto:

The hate in your heart stops you from analysing issues logically. What as MKO got to do with this thread? You can call MKO an embezzler but at least he didn't run away like a coward. He died in prison for a cause he believed in. Whether you believed in that cause is your prerogative. If you don't want to hear the truth about Ojukwu, you had better leave MKO out of this.

While I agree that MKO is not the issue on this thread could you explain to us what the truth you are telling us about Ojukwu is? It seems this truth is an imaginary truth because all we see here are baseless accusations, crying more than the bereaved and outright lies being told about the man.

So, what is the truth about Ojukwu that your type want to tell us?

You see, no matter how hard you try you cannot hide your hatred for anything Igbo and yet again you show it here.

You call Ojukwu a coward but you display real cowardice by claiming not to hate Igbos yet any opportunity you have to comment on anything related to the Igbos you use it to support baseless accusations or outright lies. This is not just an act of cowardice but a very shameful position.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by bilymuse: 5:17pm On Apr 16, 2010
During the biafra war, Ojukwu encouraged Igbos to fight and die for biafra.  Deserters and collaborators were summarily executed: order from the above. Ojukwu was killing people who ran away from the war. But at the eleventh hour, the bald headed coward ran away himself.

Yet, some psychiatric cases on this forum, with the same hypocritical and betrayal blood running in their vein, are telling me Ojukwu is right. Most of the people defending Ojukwu, without acknowledging historical reality  are exactly like Ojukwu. They are vultures.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 5:26pm On Apr 16, 2010
Afam:

While I agree that MKO is not the issue on this thread could you explain to us what the truth you are telling us about Ojukwu is? It seems this truth is an imaginary truth because all we see here are baseless accusations, crying more than the bereaved and outright lies being told about the man.

So, what is the truth about Ojukwu that your type want to tell us?

You see, no matter how hard you try you cannot hide your hatred for anything Igbo and yet again you show it here.

You call Ojukwu a coward but you display real cowardice by claiming not to hate Igbos yet any opportunity you have to comment on anything related to the Igbos you use it to support baseless accusations or outright lies. This is not just an act of cowardice but a very shameful position.

This debate as been going on for a few days; did you see any comment from me? My first comment was to correct someone who wrongly stated that Ojukwu attended Eton. My second was the comment to dede1. You continue to debate with emotions and no logic; if someone disagrees with you, insults come out. I am not interested in receiving insults. Just let me be.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Revealed: How Ibb, Buhari, Atikuothers Sponsor Boko Haram! / ACN Convention Adopts APC As New Party / Rivers Assembly Screens, Confirms 20 Commissioner-nominees For Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.