Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport (17226 Views)

‘ghosts’ Set Shops Ablaze In Anambra Over High Cost Of Goods (photo) / People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) / Abuja Traders Using Cars As Shops Because Of High Cost Of Rent (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Kobojunkie: 1:51am On Apr 30, 2010
doyin13:

lol. . the biggest projects this government has undertaken have been on the mainland.

The waterworks project. . . the rail projects, the badagry express road, BRT. the maternity and child hospitals
have or will predominantly be on the mainland.

Big road projects that have not been in the news. . . also mostly on the mainland. Many of the new BRT lanes
being proposed will be on the mainland.

So it is unfair. . .The mainland's sheer size simply swallows all these projects unlike the Islands where they will
be easily visible.

hmmmm . . .  I really hoped for a marvelous list that would include structures that can compare to airports and the likes,    lipsrsealed

@Doyin, Ok . . . if you say so!

Like I said earlier, I am not against FTZ, I simply wish we could have similar calibre or even half projects on the mainland and not more roadbuilding and local general hospitals.  cheesy

netotse:

we have the adopt a school thingy now. . .

@at the emboldened
but that's the thing, companies go into business to make profit, so it's only natural they chase the attractive places.

adopt-a-who? The federal ministry has been trying that project for almost 6 years now, if not longer. How many schools have been adopted and transformed since then? Anywho, I am sure I am clear on where I am with these projects. This project is not another road project or another bus lane or the sort. It is not to be compared to the many shopping malls like the payless plaza and the lot.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 2:00am On Apr 30, 2010
lol. . .so what kind of project on the mainland would satisfy
your similar calibre criterion.

Another airport perhaps
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by PapaBrowne(m): 2:02am On Apr 30, 2010
netotse:

we have the adopt a school thingy now. . .

@at the emboldened
but that's the thing, companies go into business to make profit, so it's only natural they chase the attractive places.

Exactly! Investors would naturally prefer to put their money where they would get the highest return on Investments.

@Kobojunkie
I understand your point, but I think it is a matter of priorities. Over time Ikorodu, Alimosho and the other areas would have their turn in one way or the order. Its a natural process. Lekki at some point in time was not an attractive place. Remember Maroko? The bulldozing of MAaroko actually birthed Lekki's development.  Its only when VI and Ikoyi started turning into commercial areas that Lekki became a beautiful bride.

Overtime as Lagos evolves in it's development, and as the residents move up the social ladder,hopefully many of the slummy areas would naturally become ghost towns which would automatically make them ripe for the bulldozers, after which they can be turned into modern urban settlement.

In the meantime the best the Government can do is to provide survival amenities(hospitals, schools, portable water, etc) for such areas, anything beyond that would almost be wasteful as someday sometime those areas would face the bulldozers.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Kobojunkie: 2:04am On Apr 30, 2010
doyin13:

lol. . .so what kind of project on the mainland would satisfy
your similar calibre criterion.

Another airport perhaps

Why would we need a fourth airport in a state like Lagos? Seriously think of that question please. Na only AIRPORT be the only major project wey fit happen for that lagos? jeeezzz
ROFLMAO!! grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 2:12am On Apr 30, 2010
na why me i dey ask na. . .you said projects of ''similar calibre''
but not roads or general hospitals.

So which ones would u rather see~?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Kobojunkie: 2:13am On Apr 30, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Exactly! Investors would naturally prefer to put their money where they would get the highest return on Investments.

@Kobojunkie
I understand your point, but I think it is a matter of priorities. Over time Ikorodu, Alimosho and the other areas would have their turn in one way or the order. Its a natural process. Lekki at some point in time was not an attractive place. Remember Maroko? The bulldozing of MAaroko actually birthed Lekki's development.  Its only when VI and Ikoyi started turning into commercial areas that Lekki became a beautiful bride.
hhmmmm . . . Ever wonder what happened to the people who used to be in Maroko? They didn't disappear into thin air, you know? They are still out there, still as poor as ever, some even poorer, WANTING!
PapaBrowne:

Overtime as Lagos evolves in it's development, and as the residents move up the social ladder,hopefully many of the slummy areas would naturally become ghost towns which would automatically make them ripe for the bulldozers, after which they can be turned into modern urban settlement.

How many of the state's own residents(let's assume those who have lived in Lagos State upwards of 10 years) have actually moved up this social ladder? How many of the former Maroko dwellers have moved up the social ladder?

Over the last 10 years, the states population has witnessed serious increase. When the claimed 2 million jobs come in from FTZ, how many lagosians will be skilled and ready for these new jobs?
It is easy to come on here to say it will happen this way and that without necessarily considering the reality of things. How many people have actually moved up the social ladder?

PapaBrowne:

In the meantime the best the Government can do is to provide survival amenities(hospitals, schools, portable water, etc) for such areas, anything beyond that would almost be wasteful as someday sometime those areas would face the bulldozers.

I am not convinced it is the best he can do yet!

doyin13:

na why me i dey ask na. . .you said projects of ''similar calibre''
but not roads or general hospitals.

So which ones would u rather see~?
Don't worry about it!! I just enjoy dreaming big, and so bridges, and more general hospitals filled with nurse "muyiwa" positions, and jakande buildings don't cut it for me anymore!
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 2:21am On Apr 30, 2010
no no no. . .Mr Woman. we want to hear your big dreams.

Indulge us please
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by oyinda3(f): 2:28am On Apr 30, 2010
lol. i wanna know the big dream as well grin grin

maternity and child hospitals are pretty big to me. esp if they are well equipped n state of the art.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ziga: 2:29am On Apr 30, 2010
doyin13:

no no no. . .Mr Woman. we want to hear your big dreams.

Indulge us please

I hereby propose that a new Lagos international airport be built on the mainland.

I need suggestions about possible sites for this.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by PapaBrowne(m): 2:32am On Apr 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

How many of the state's own residents(let's assume those who have lived in Lagos State upwards of 10 years) have actually moved up this social ladder? How many of the former Maroko dwellers have moved up the social ladder?

Over the last 10 years, the states population has witnessed serious increase. When the claimed 2 million jobs come in from FTZ, how many lagosians will be skilled and ready for these new jobs?
It is easy to come on here to say it will happen this way and that without necessarily considering the reality of things. How many people have actually moved up the social ladder?

All the over a hundred thousand new residential structures that have cropped up in Lekki, (an area which is adjudged the fastest growing in Africa) where do you think the inhabitants came from? Most were once poor Lagosians living in the mainland. As the Lagos economy blossomed especially in the last 5 years, many people moved up the ladder and started relocating in droves to places like Lekki. That's what caused the massive jump in prices of real estate in the Lekki axis.

So yes, poor people are getting out of poverty, and with the LFTZ in place they would get out even much faster.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by oyinda3(f): 2:34am On Apr 30, 2010
ziga:

I hereby propose that a new Lagos international airport be built on the mainland.

I need suggestions about possible sites for this.

i suggest it should be built in the middle of ajegunle grin tongue
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Kobojunkie: 2:44am On Apr 30, 2010
PapaBrowne:

All the over a hundred thousand new residential structures that have cropped up in Lekki, (an area which is adjudged the fastest growing in Africa) where do you think the inhabitants came from? Most were once poor Lagosians living in the mainland.

You are telling me that thousands of people who used to live in Maroko are now rich people in Lekki? Can we verify this? Cause this is HUGE if true.

PapaBrowne:

As the Lagos economy blossomed especially in the last 5 years, many people moved up the ladder and started relocating in droves to places like Lekki. That's what caused the massive jump in prices of real estate in the Lekki axis.

So yes, poor people are getting out of poverty, and with the LFTZ in place they would get out even much faster.

You did not answer any of my questions though. New jobs were created over the last 5 years, sure. But How many of those jobs actually went to Lagosians and not to imports(people from other parts of the country, and even expatriates)? How many actual lagosians got those social-ladder climbing jobs, compared to those who didn't?

I hate to break it to you but in the same time period, the number of poor has significantly increased across Lagos and Nigeria as a whole. You sound like you have seriously high hopes for this particular project but can we please not get carried away here and especially when reality is being considered?

I love using stats for discussions such as these as we are better able to understand where the other is coming from with numbers. In the US, banks and companies are recording record profits BUT unemployment rate is still at a serious high. One would be naive to conclude that since companies are bringing in almost pre-recession profits, companies are now hiring, and things are getting back to normal. But we all know that is far from reality.

So, is there a way we can verify some of the claims you are making here?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ziga: 2:50am On Apr 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You did not answer any of my questions though. New jobs were created over the last 5 years, sure. But How many of those jobs actually went to Lagosians and not to imports(people from other parts of the country, and even expatriates)? How many actual lagosians got those social-ladder climbing jobs, compared to those who didn't?

I'm guessing you are not in Nigeria, and i'm also guessing that you work there. This is inevitable.

Kobojunkie:

I hate to break it to you but in the same time period, the number of poor has significantly increased across Lagos and Nigeria as a whole. You sound like you have seriously high hopes for this project but can we please not get carried away here and especially when reality is being considered?

Also inevitable. If other states don't develop as fast as Lagos is, people will always move in large numbers to Lagos. But that shouldn't stop the attempts by the LASG to cater for these large numbers by embarking on Large projects.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Kobojunkie: 2:55am On Apr 30, 2010
ziga:

I'm guessing you are not in Nigeria, and i'm also guessing that you work there. This is inevitable.

Also inevitable. If other states don't develop as fast as Lagos is, people will always move in large numbers to Lagos. But that shouldn't stop the attempts by the LASG to cater for these large numbers by embarking on Large projects.

What has A to do with B?  Please choose to ignore if you are not ready to READ and add to what is actually being said. I am tired of the many disconnected retorts!
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 2:56am On Apr 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What has A to do with B?  Please choose to ignore if you are not ready to READ and add to what is actually being said. I am tired of the many disconnected retorts!

grin grin grin grin

ROTFLMAO cheesy grin tongue grin
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ziga: 3:00am On Apr 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I think you are the one who makes disconnected retorts.

You say jobs created by LASG is going to imports and i say that happens all over the world. It is a sign that the state has something to offer. People complain daily everywhere in the world that jobs created are taken up by foreigners. And if you are in a foreign country, and you are working there, that applies to you.

What are you actually in favor of and please defend it.

You have to choose a side to stand and give a sincere reason for it. Even if it is prejudiced, people might be able to understand your point of view.

But throwing stones at everything won't get us anywhere
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Kobojunkie: 3:03am On Apr 30, 2010
ziga:

I think you are the one who makes disconnected retorts.

You say jobs created by LASG is going to imports and i say that happens all over the world. It is a sign that the state has something to offer.
What are you actually in favor of and please defend it.
You are kidding me? I have made my stance clear from post one and you are still asking me the question above? LEARN TO READ rather than making baseless assumptions!!
ziga:
You have to choose a side to stand and give a sincere reason for it. Even if it is prejudiced, people might be able to understand your point of view.

Again, learn to READ!!!

ziga:

But throwing stones at everything won't get us anywhere

For the umpteenth time, learn to READ!!! Anyone with a brain and ability to read would have figured out my stance by now, but then if you do not read what I actually posted, how would you?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 3:03am On Apr 30, 2010
Fashola Offers Recipe For Accelerated Development Of Lagos
…As Oluwole Urban Market is commissioned

Governor Fashola, who spoke at the official commissioning of the first phase of the New Oluwole Urban Market in Central Lagos, also disclosed that the State Government is embarking on a total re-planning of the Island along with other parts of the State.

The Governor said the successful development of the former Oluwole slum should serve as an eye-opener to families owning lands in other slums that now constitute eyesore in the Island adding, “I have often said, the Lagos of our dreams is daily getting within our reach”.

Pointing out that the Oluwole Model could be used to rebuild offices, create new flats and apartments for residential purposes in the Lagos Central Business District, Governor Fashola solicited, “We encouraged families to do what we have done here whenever they can agree and pool their small parcels of land together to attract investment support”

“This is the way we can re-build Isale Eko, Offin, Olowogbowo, Oke-Arin, Balogun, Kakawa and so many other parts of our historic and beautiful Island”, the Governor said advising that all involved should use the services of professionals such as Architects, Estate Surveyors, Lawyers, Town planners and others in order to ensure that the proper thing is done.

Eko o ni baje lai lai
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ziga: 3:10am On Apr 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You are kidding me? I have made my stance clear from post one and you are still asking me the question above? LEARN TO READ rather than making baseless assumptions!!
Again, learn to READ!!!

For the umpteenth time, learn to READ!!! Anyone with a brain and ability to read would have figured out my stance by now, but then if you do not read what I actually posted, how would you?

Kjunkie

The only thing you've been doing is trying to put holes in peoples argument for the need of an airport in the FTZ. You claim most of the projects will not benefit the poor even when people have stated clearly the ways it can benefit the poor.

Please give suggestions about how the project can be modified to favor the poor.

And i have a load of insults in my mouth too. But i wasn't brought up that way.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 3:13am On Apr 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Again, learn to READ!!!

You keep asking people to learn to read, but when are you going to cure your Ignorance ravaged brain with basic knowledge about Lagos state?

You don't know anything, you wont offer any meaningful solution to anything. All you do is say no to and object to everything Lagos.

It's just a shame that people are going back and forth with you because they don't know you and your twilight zone sense of reasoning, I'm sure they are catching on. 

You are nothing but a nuisance in the arena of ideas and intelligent discussion.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by selingel: 10:36am On Apr 30, 2010
babapupa:

You keep asking people to learn to read, but when are you going to cure your Ignorance ravaged brain with basic knowledge about Lagos state?

You don't know anything, you wont offer any meaningful solution to anything. All you do is say no to and object to everything Lagos.

It's just a shame that people are going back and forth with you because they don't know you and your twilight zone sense of reasoning, I'm sure they are catching on. 

You are nothing but a nuisance in the arena of ideas and intelligent discussion.

Haba!. I think you are going too far here. Check all her postings here, and you will see some sense in all. She might not be on your side does not mean she does not know anything. How many ladies contributed here?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by sley4life(m): 10:56am On Apr 30, 2010
Fashola is on the right track. But he should thread softly. The airport in Lag is ok. I would implore him 2 remove those toll gate located in VI mainly ajah. Its terrible having about 3 tolls there.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Moves: 11:00am On Apr 30, 2010
@ BabaPupa and All pro Airport in LFTZ; Can you list what benefit the airport would bring to the 16 Million lagosians in the next 5years, note 16Million lagosians and not the less than 1million living in the Lekki Axis, I am not saying it is a bad project but at this point in time and with the situation of infrastructures in lagos state embarking on this would be doing the right thing at the wrong time; hence the reason why I termed it elitist;
At a time when Most lagosians are still wasting up to 4-5 hours daily in traffic due to bad road or inadequate road infrastructure, ensuring that the proposed rail lines come to fruition ASAP is paramount as it benefits every lagosian; would lead to job creation; investors are guaranteed to get their returns quicker; people will spend less time commuting; less congestion on the road will mean goods and services get to their destination quicker, Also the goods; people (2Million jobs/workers as they most likely wont All be living on the island) would not fly IN or Out of LFTZ.

Am a fashola admirer;but that doesnt mean I can't fault some of his actions, the land can be left as it is; allocated & earmarked for airport development in the future; london got Heathrow T5 only recently but that land has been there since forever and the required and supporting services where put inplace first; LFTZ has not taken off yet; the purported business and job are not there yet;if the investments are made towards roads; 4th mainland bridge; train services now, this infrastructures have been on the card since the time of Jakande thats close to 30years ago; when the LFTZ becomes functional this rail and road infrastructures will serve it, Lagos does need another Tinapa like project; Do you not agree that if Tinapa was only 2-3hours by train (efficient) to lagos; regardless of whether there is federal govt support for the project or not; it wouldn't be the monumental failure it is today, The Business case for the need for this airport does not cut it All,
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by jokingmary(m): 11:17am On Apr 30, 2010
nice cool
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 11:17am On Apr 30, 2010
Moves:

@ BabaPupa and All pro Airport in LFTZ; Can you list what benefit the airport would bring to the 16 Million lagosians in the next 5years, note 16Million lagosians and not the less than 1million living in the Lekki Axis,  I am not saying it is a bad project but at this point in time and with the situation of infrastructures in lagos state embarking on this would be doing the right thing at the wrong time; hence the reason why I termed it elitist;
At a time when Most lagosians are still wasting up to 4-5 hours daily in traffic due to bad road or inadequate road infrastructure, ensuring that the proposed rail lines come to fruition ASAP is paramount as it benefits every lagosian; would lead to job creation; investors are guaranteed to get their returns quicker; people will spend less time commuting; less congestion on the road will mean goods and services get to their destination quicker, Also the goods; people (2Million jobs/workers as they most likely wont All be living on the island) would not fly IN or Out of LFTZ.

Am a fashola admirer;but that doesnt mean I can't fault some of his actions, the land can be left as it is; allocated & earmarked for airport development in the future; london got Heathrow T5 only recently but that land has been there since forever and the required and supporting services where put inplace first; LFTZ has not taken off yet; the purported business and job are not there yet;if the investments are made towards roads; 4th mainland bridge; train services now, this infrastructures have been on the card since the time of Jakande thats close to 30years ago; when the LFTZ becomes functional this rail and road infrastructures will serve it, Lagos does need another Tinapa like project; Do you not agree that if Tinapa was only 2-3hours by train (efficient) to lagos; regardless of whether there is federal govt support for the project or not; it wouldn't be the monumental failure it is today, The Business case for the need for this airport does not cut it All,

Please, once I again I implore you to actually read and try to understamd what is happening. You might probably take it as an insult but your post is filled with so much misinformation and a dash of ignorance in regards to the actual state of things and significant misunderstanding with regards to the actual project and contract to the point of being shocking. . . . . . . . it really is. Stop trying to be a voice of authority if you are not sure of what you are talking about. I could go on and pick the holes in your reasoning but considering I already attempted last time and you still couldn't take it upun yourself to actually understand what is going on, no offence but I won't bother. I have however bolded the some of the points in your proposed arguement you might want to do some more research on. This is shocking stuff.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by mrkoma2012: 11:17am On Apr 30, 2010
A welcome development by our great governor
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by KnowAll(m): 11:52am On Apr 30, 2010
[size=14pt]Comprehensive map of Lekki and environs[/size]

http://www.maplandia.com/nigeria/lagos/ibejulekki/lekki/
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ajibawealt(m): 11:58am On Apr 30, 2010
This is a case of a misplaced priority. All they want to do is to further increase the gap btw the rich and the poor. I'm sure the proposed airport will be built b4 the 4th mainland bridge and rail projects comes to fruition.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by mbulela: 12:12pm On Apr 30, 2010
As long as BAT's companies are not the beneficiary of the billions.
Lagos state will never be free until they get rid of that character called BAT.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Moves: 1:04pm On Apr 30, 2010
Sky Blue:

Please, once I again I implore you to actually read and try to understamd what is happening. You might probably take it as an insult but your post is filled with so much misinformation and a dash of ignorance in regards to the actual state of things and significant misunderstanding with regards to the actual project and contract to the point of being shocking. . . . . . . . it really is. Stop trying to be a voice of authority if you are not sure of what you are talking about. I could go on and pick the holes in your reasoning but considering I already attempted last time and you still couldn't take it upun yourself to actually understand what is going on, no offence but I won't bother. I have however bolded the some of the points in your proposed arguement you might want to do some more research on. This is shocking stuff.
@ SkyBlue, am not assuming myself to be an authority on any of the issue mentioned here; but based on what i have read and what I have physically witnessed on ground in lagos gave rise to my submission; if you have more information or allude to being better informed please provide evidence,
Kindly Note and Understand that there is a clear difference between something being proposed and actualisation; hence the Infrastructures that I Mentioned might have been proposed ala light railway (since Jakande); 4th mainland bridge; oh and no major roads are bad in lagos again,
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by DisGuy: 1:12pm On Apr 30, 2010
someone mentioned 2million jobs in the lekki project alone-that is about half the unemployed adults in lagos

Is this figure from the government or someone got it from the business plan?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Nobody: 1:44pm On Apr 30, 2010
wast of time and money undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Dangote To Invest $12 Billion In Nigerian Economy / Phone Number For Usa And Uk Paypal Verification / Innoson Boss, Innocent Chukwuma Released On Bail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.