Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,475 members, 7,816,120 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:45 AM

Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? (26915 Views)

I Have A BSc Degree And Want To Join The Army / Do I Need A Degree To Become An HMO Officer? / See The Youngest Mechanic Apprentice In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by tballeyy(m): 7:25am On Apr 15, 2018
U dey craz?
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by presentley: 7:26am On Apr 15, 2018
FortifiedCity:
Do whatever ypu can but make sure you start something of your own.

Meanwhile there is a woman that fries sweet akara outside my estate, she needs an apprentice, You can put up with her for the mean time
And you chose to let him down when he believed you had something in your brain

7 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by MAJORBANKZ(m): 7:27am On Apr 15, 2018
if its not adding more zeros in ur bank account then is not a priority.

1 Like

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Nigeriadondie: 7:28am On Apr 15, 2018
ewa20buredi100:
Hi,
I need your advice or counsel on this issue that has been giving me sleepless night.
I am sharing this on nairaland because i feel there are men and women of mature minds and who have lots of experiences on here from diverse walks of life who can be of help.

I have been unemployed for almost 10months now, though before now i worked as a Chemistry teacher for some years until tragedy struck early last year(lost a very vital person in my life). I had to quit the teaching job (because the incident happened at the time where the senior students were preparing for their WASSCE) and as the first born i had funeral rites to perform.
After the burial things weren't too pleasant with me, so i had to re-locate from Lagos to Benin (to stay with an Uncle). My plan was that after everything i would go for any professional course or do one of these HSE courses to boost my chances of getting a job, but due to re-location and financial constraint i had to think of something else.

It happens that where i am currently staying in Benin; along Benin-Agbor road, close to NNPC depot before Benin-Agbor by-pass; has this influx of trailers and heavy duty trucks transporting goods and PMS/diesel/coaltar to and from other states.
Hence the availability of lots of truck's spare-parts markets in the area as well truck mechanics with shops everywhere dealing in repairs of different types of truck (Scania, MACK, M.A.N diesel, etc).

Being that i have been idle for a while now, a thought just came to me that instead of staying idle why not apply to be a Diesel Injector engine mechanic apprentice.

I want to know if that thought is worth giving a try and what are the things that may likely happen being that i did not read an engineering course from the University and what may become of my life. I am 28years of age.

Please help a brother by pushing it to front page mod.
1forall
Handwork is far better than yeye degrees. Believe me it is worth it.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 15, 2018
Bro start the apprenticeship at once, you will eventually become one of those learned mechanics who will be highly respected. Even if you later get a job, the mechanic skills will still be useful to you in the long run

3 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by xtophy(m): 7:30am On Apr 15, 2018
SternProphet:
This is NIGERIAN THINKING at its worst. The IQ is so low that people post meaningless stuff because they are thinking in Nigerian language instead of just thinking. Look at this premise for instance. In what way does doing auto mechanics ( a very good and rewarding line of work ) invalidate your chemistry degree?
Why does one render the other useless and indeed what kind of inferior educational system even develops the mind to think this way?

He's not the boss. He wants to be an apprentice.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Oju4190: 7:30am On Apr 15, 2018
I have a friend that read science laboratory technology HND). After becoming jobless for a while he then opt to learn tailoring(fashion designing) for about two and half years. O boy that guy is made with the tailoring stuff. No knowledge is lost bro, go for it. If tomorrow u have a lucrative job with ur bsc and eventually have a car,no mechanic will do yaga for u.Wish u gudluck in ur future endeavour

3 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by NnamdiEducamia(m): 7:31am On Apr 15, 2018
FortifiedCity:
Do whatever ypu can but make sure you start something of your own.

Meanwhile there is a woman that fries sweet akara outside my estate, she needs an apprentice, You can put up with her for the mean time

Your first sentence made me think you were a reasonable fellow!

Most times, first impression does not matter and you are a typical example.

10 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Lifeofpolice1(m): 7:31am On Apr 15, 2018
ewa20buredi100:

Sir, I just have this fear of uncertainty of what may become of me in years to come and again the way things are in Nigeria. I don't want to end up regreting the decision.
what are your fear

Let me tell you
I am an apprentice learn business and serving my boss for 8yrs
I am not fear if there will be settlement or not
Because I know it does take money to be rich, your ideas make you who you are.

So drop your pride and hustle
There's no age limit in Education

1 Like

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by ositadima1(m): 7:33am On Apr 15, 2018
Like some people said here, go for it, it's a good skill. Don't forget that there are truck mechanic that work for big companies. I am telling you you will be successful in a few years, being educated and having a hand skill as well is the best, plus who says its not related to your degree.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Kamalu1190(m): 7:33am On Apr 15, 2018
OP the only advise I can give you is don't do, diesel mechanics, instead learn automobile mechanics and learn how to scan automobiles, its a goldmine these days, I'm thinking of becoming a mechanic's apprentice soon, mechanics nowadays are making hell of cash most especially the ones who have decided to read more and advance themselves technologically. Fixing cars nowadays is more of a science than a skill.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by jamesharryson(m): 7:34am On Apr 15, 2018
My dear, if there is any business worse than mechanic which u know can keep food on the table, pls involve me. I will even join u. Certificate does not feed someone, hustling does

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Hector09(m): 7:34am On Apr 15, 2018
Do u knw how long we it takes for u to be free frm d so called automobile mechanics,
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by ositadima1(m): 7:37am On Apr 15, 2018
Hector09:
Do u knw how long we it takes for u to be free frm d so called automobile mechanics,

It depends on how fast he can learn.

1 Like

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by seguno2: 7:37am On Apr 15, 2018
You should already if you have no reliable connection to GUARANTEE you a well-paid job after your graduation.
A university certificate of attendance is not a meal ticket.
Be wise, bro.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by 1234IKECHhukwu: 7:41am On Apr 15, 2018
This is the best decision u 'll d ever take in ur life.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by BigIyanga: 7:41am On Apr 15, 2018
Do apprenticeship with someone and also learn via online platforms like youtube,webforums etal.You’re going to distinguish yourself! It’s very hard to find good Mack Rotor( Electronic Unit Pump) mechanic. Put more emphasis on electronic injection systems.. cos most roadside mechanics dont bother to read.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Chubhie: 7:41am On Apr 15, 2018
You have my blessings.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by nelsonebby(m): 7:41am On Apr 15, 2018
28. You’re still young, but it’s time to start making decisions by yourself
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by fashrola(m): 7:42am On Apr 15, 2018
ewa20buredi100:
Hi,
I need your advice or counsel on this issue that has been giving me sleepless night.
I am sharing this on nairaland because i feel there are men and women of mature minds and who have lots of experiences on here from diverse walks of life who can be of help.

I have been unemployed for almost 10months now, though before now i worked as a Chemistry teacher for some years until tragedy struck early last year(lost a very vital person in my life). I had to quit the teaching job (because the incident happened at the time where the senior students were preparing for their WASSCE) and as the first born i had funeral rites to perform.
After the burial things weren't too pleasant with me, so i had to re-locate from Lagos to Benin (to stay with an Uncle). My plan was that after everything i would go for any professional course or do one of these HSE courses to boost my chances of getting a job, but due to re-location and financial constraint i had to think of something else.

It happens that where i am currently staying in Benin; along Benin-Agbor road, close to NNPC depot before Benin-Agbor by-pass; has this influx of trailers and heavy duty trucks transporting goods and PMS/diesel/coaltar to and from other states.
Hence the availability of lots of truck's spare-parts markets in the area as well truck mechanics with shops everywhere dealing in repairs of different types of truck (Scania, MACK, M.A.N diesel, etc).

Being that i have been idle for a while now, a thought just came to me that instead of staying idle why not apply to be a Diesel Injector engine mechanic apprentice.

I want to know if that thought is worth giving a try and what are the things that may likely happen being that i did not read an engineering course from the University and what may become of my life. I am 28years of age.

1forall

If you can answer these questions truthfully then you can proceed

1. Are you going into Diesel Engine Mechanic because you are staying in an area where there's influx of heavy duty trucks?

2. If you were not staying in such area, would you have such idea to go into repairing Diesel engines?

3. Do you really have a passion for the job? If yes since when? Or you are desperate because you are idle?

4. Are you gonna endure your apprenticeship peradventure you end up with a rude and greedy master?

5. Are you gonna dedicate your 7-8 years serving and learning the trade? (Since you are already 28 years of age)

6. Do you still want to trade on your field (Industrial chemistry) in case something juicy comes out while undergoing your apprenticeship.

7. Do you have the money to pay for the training?

If you can answer these questions diligently, then you can make your decision to forge ahead

5 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by abbyyworld: 7:42am On Apr 15, 2018
Dear brother,
I have once toed this path and am so glad today for that decision. It is not too late to start but it will be very difficult in the beginning to point that you will blame your gut and regret your decision. The deal is that you will sometime in the future become an employer of labors instead of chasing monthly earnings like most average Nigerians. Also use your level of education to leverage your choice in terms of making research concerning diagnosing and repairs of heavy duty equipment.
Remember, don't put money first, get the necessary knowledge and experience.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by ipobarecriminals: 7:43am On Apr 15, 2018
sad i won't. say sorry/pity u over ur loss.I only pity people in a pit.As for. u,u aren't. in a pit. .Be strong. and be of good courage.It is well with u.Back to d main issue,if u have d mean/peep wey go sponsor ur education,u are good to go for it.If u have passion for mechanic work,dnt waste time,go and do it.Some mechanic are better by far than. some graduate.;

3 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by gbagyiza: 7:45am On Apr 15, 2018
I am an automotive technicl trainer for over 10 years..I am the head of the automotive department in a vocational training college here in Nigeria..If you dont mind chart me on watsap for professional advice on 08060788299..

1 Like

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by hustler86(m): 7:46am On Apr 15, 2018
Baba... I was like you tooq sometimes ago... But now I thank God for a heads up from a friend ... As a mechanical engineer you are very versatile... Means you can do anything... Learn and Earn at the same time... Go find out about cars45 and how to deal with them. Thank me later
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by BabbanBura(m): 7:48am On Apr 15, 2018
ewa20buredi100:
Hi,

1forall

Bros, you dont need anyone's approval or nudge to get your hands legitimately, most importantly industriously dirty to earn a good life.
I like sharing ma stories; a friend refused to go to school while we sweated it out earning B.Scs, B.Eng and even Masters etc, he did exactly what you are trying to do but in his case, twas after sec. sch., he graduated from his training, moved to a new town and set up his own workshop, he became one of the best diesel engine injector mechanic in the region that even his former boss invites him to fix a hard-nut the boss couldn't fix. Guess what? He made money, was swimming in money that we all are proud he is our friend, ladies out do each other to be with him though he is a good guy and so humble. He became sought-after from Northeast all the way to middle belt in Kogi State. He eventually opened workshops in all the big towns trucks stop to do repairs e.g. Kibo, Kaba, Lokoja, Ashaka, Potiskum, Maiduguri etc
On my own part, during my degree program i sold sugar cane like those mallams u see during my vacations, i was a sales boy in a pharmaceutical store too. After degree but before NYSC i went for tailoring, did diploma in computer applications as well (i bought computer and accessories like printer, scanner etc with NYSC money).
After NYSC, i opened computer centre at home and had so much partronage that all my younger ones got busy typing or producing one thing or another, i also taught in JAMB and WAEC preparatory classes as well as holiday classes. - i never stayed idle for a month and from my experience, you are better with what you can do for yourself rather than paid salary.
However, i never settled for these 'menial jobs'. i called them menial because they were not my focus in this life. So i only see them as time-fillers and enhancers for me to get there. The temptation is very strong to settle in one of such partocularly when it is going well but becareful not to settle for less, see it as a springboard for something bigger. Don't be too comfortable in this mechanic stuff and live your whole life repairing injector nozzles - keep focus on your goal though you may try different things along the way.

Best wishes - Do you have matured, successful mentors? if you don't, please get atleast one!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by gabrielokeke555(m): 7:50am On Apr 15, 2018
Lexusgs430:
Been a competent mechanic would constantly put food on your table........

A skill that you can always pick up and drop, when other options become available.....

Bsc certificate is worthless, If its not providing you the employment options you desire.......
Truly, the main aim of education in Nigeria has been defeated... Smh. Learn the handwork rather than being idle. An idle man is the Devils workshop.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by okerekeikpo: 7:51am On Apr 15, 2018
As if u r the only one that has BSC guy drop ur degree enter street o, work no dey Naija, with that ur degree hunger go still kill you
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Nobody: 7:54am On Apr 15, 2018
I wanted to learn a skill before going for my university education but my parents objected to it instead prefered i did a one year computer program.

After my university education, the first thing i did was follow my passion. I dumped my Bsc immediately after service and moved into cinematography.

There is nothing like acquiring a skill. In Nigeria, you require a skill to survive not a Bsc.

1 Like

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by ghostfacekillar(m): 7:59am On Apr 15, 2018
28 yrs and still hustling*chai a graduate*i tire for this country

1 Like

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by supereagle(m): 7:59am On Apr 15, 2018
Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

1 Like

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by luvcherish(m): 8:00am On Apr 15, 2018
xtophy:
Only God and the angels know how people think on this forum. Please, if he possibly put up for the apprenticeship, what will he be eating throughout the years? And hope you guys know how many years it takes to be well grounded in automobile repairs especially if u have bosses that hide works? Guy, please THINK, THINK AND DON'T FORGET TO THINK...SHALOM

very good contributiion,,,,,, having d same feeling , buh in my own case i graduated as a computer sci, and am very good in desktop publishing packages and the internet, i have thumbprinting machine and the system i use in sch then is still working though has become plug and play. thinking of opening an online registration center and business center but the capital is much, still hustling around.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by DwayneGy(m): 8:01am On Apr 15, 2018
Bros please learn it. With your little education, you can do things differently from the ordinary mechanic. Coscharis started off with sales of spare parts under someone, today he imports almost all the luxury cars into Nigeria with an estimated net worth of $500million. Just learn it and have a definite plan, you'll be glad you did.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Resigned From The "Land Of Slavery" In 2015, My Testimony Now / Isaac Balami: I Was Soak-away Evacuator, Painter, Mason 18 Years Ago / Ladies, Which Of These Can You Do For A Living?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.