Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,184 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

What Is Life? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Life? (24763 Views)

What Is Life? / Jesus Christ Is Life; And You Say He Is Not God? / Such Is Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Life? by kullozone(m): 9:02pm On May 06, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
To me life is a battlefield you fight for what you earn or own you lose some you win some . Nothing on earth is permanent that is why things and times changes.Your questions are valid nothing like happily ever after but I believe there is something like happily sometimes after.Meaning you can be happy today and sad tommorow.While reading through where you stated being a child is the best thing ever reminded me of a poem Birches by Robert frost in which he stated that you lose nothing or think about anything in childhood.

This comment is completely useless. There's no sense in it at all.

No hard feeling, please smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Life? by undisputed25(m): 9:02pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Those that didn't get the chance to reproduce nko?
Lost my best friend during NYSC. He was even part Of NCCF workerz... Since then have been asking lot of questions no one can answer.
Don't worry tomorrow I'll share the little I could. So we can rub minds together.
How are you doing?
Re: What Is Life? by nowpresence(f): 9:02pm On May 06, 2018
MrMystrO:

Lol in the bigger Picture, Everyone and everything fulfills their purpose. The purpose man gives to himself and other things is a Miniature purpose, a "fake" one. In the bigger picture, Everything Existing Fulfils a Purpose and that Purpose is ALWAYS fulfilled. The Universe is ALWAYS BALANCED.
yeah totally agree with you.
The universe find a way to be balanced.
Re: What Is Life? by begwong: 9:03pm On May 06, 2018
Shedrack777:
seems like you don't have christ. go and accept christ my dear
Can you please back up your assertion with some biblical verses if any. Tnx
Re: What Is Life? by Kendrick80(m): 9:03pm On May 06, 2018
1 generation to another passeth but the earth remains forever- King Solomon
imo we work so hard not for ourselves but for some1 else 2 take over and the cycle continues.
I'll play my part....then leave peacefully

2 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by nowpresence(f): 9:04pm On May 06, 2018
IamD18:

My dear, you cannot understand life.

Its beyond what you think it could be.
why don't you enjoy what you can enjoy and live that question to God. it's that simple.
Re: What Is Life? by iBanger(m): 9:05pm On May 06, 2018
now this is the thought of a man not in Christ. If at all u listen to the message of Christ we live, not to die but for eternal life. clearly something most Christian don't believe in. because we have not seen or experience it. Hence the emphasis of the word on Faith. Jesus asked what does it profit a man to profit the whole world and loose his soul. Hence the onus of the mortal life of man hinges on the preservation of the soul for eternity.
Yes there is nothing like happy ever after or constant. Because external factors will always bring in the change factor. Forever exists only in the after life, so also is prfection of happiness and other desired of ours like a pgood job, stable income, 24/7 power, security, and love. You can add more desires of yours.
I hope you get the picture of what life truly is, we live for eternity! Also worthy of note is that the life of eternity consciousness brings along with it good things of this life as we can see in the lives of true worshipers of Christ.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Life? by SirToothBrush: 9:05pm On May 06, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
To me life is a battlefield you fight for what you earn or own you lose some you win some . Nothing on earth is permanent that is why things and times changes.Your questions are valid nothing like happily ever after but I believe there is something like happily sometimes after.Meaning you can be happy today and sad tommorow.While reading through where you stated being a child is the best thing ever reminded me of a poem Birches by Robert frost in which he stated that you lose nothing or think about anything in childhood.
As a child my pet dog died and that was my first pain in life

2 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by IamD18: 9:07pm On May 06, 2018
nowpresence:

why don't you enjoy what you can enjoy and live that question to God. it's that simple.

I wasn't bothered to know
Re: What Is Life? by Nobody: 9:17pm On May 06, 2018
As far as I am concerned (and yes, I speak for myself) - life is meaningless. I won't quote any renown philosopher/psychologist, I'll just say it how I understand it.

There is no such thing as "purpose" in life. Life is a state and not a process.

I do not believe we exist to fulfil a particular purpose/destiny. We feel these sense of 'achievement' as a result of consequence and not purpose. The reason we strive hard to achieve certain things is not because those things are what we exist/created to do but because they are the circumstances/environment in which we find ourselves.

The difference between a college dropout & an accomplished medical doctor is choice not fate.

Choice.

We choose to pursue these things & prioritise them in our existence. Money, cars, houses, sex, religion, power etc now most humans see these things as achievements.

There are people who choose to ignore these things yet they exist with others who do. Its the same life that they live.

We are what we choose to become & what we become defines our existence. A cucumber for example can either be used for food or for sexual satisfaction. Likewise, fire can be used to create or to destroy. It all depends on the bearer.

There is no "afterlife" (why would a second life exist when both can be fused as one?) neither is man a "superior" being. What matters to a 25 year old man is completely irrelevant to a 25 year old elephant. That doesn't mean that the elephant's life is meaningless. Bacteria & viruses existed before man chose to manipulate them for other purposes like diseases.

Again, the keyword here is choice.

There are celibate buddhist monks in Asia who have no penny & find fulfilment in meditation & connectin' to nature - to him, his life is fulfilled whilst there are music artistes in the USA who find fulfillment in drivin' the latest cars & poppin' the most expensive champagnes.

Like OP said, we live only to die at the end. We do not "die" per se, we merely cease to exist in our current state. We cease to exist in this human state and become converted to another state (soil) which in turn will either remain in that state or will continue to be converted to various states of existence.

Will you then say our "purpose" as humans is to be turned into soil?

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is Life? by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 06, 2018
Thegamingorca:

It's thoughts like this that really make man evolve into who we are today.

Why are we distant from monkeys bacteria and non living things.

Because we are here for a purpose.

We have been programmed to keep evolving learning creating and passing information we garner to our successors to continue for us.

how did u knw the monekeys are not created for the same purpose??
Re: What Is Life? by Fidelismaria: 9:21pm On May 06, 2018
What a beautiful thread

This question thus bring another question

'DID WE CREATE GOD OR DID GOD CREATE US'?

personally I'm beginning to think we created God

3 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by pascalbenz: 9:22pm On May 06, 2018
What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare. No time to stand beneath the boughs And stare as long as sheep or cows. No time to see, when woods we pass, Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass. No time to see, in broad daylight, Streams full of stars, like skies at night. No time to turn at Beauty's glance, And watch her feet, how they can dance. No time to wait till her mouth can Enrich that smile her eyes began. A poor life this if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare. cry

1 Like

Re: What Is Life? by nowpresence(f): 9:24pm On May 06, 2018
princfred:
Death doesnt matter live well, catch fun and hope to die smiling. I promised myself i will die smiling so death cant even steal my joy but not living well can.
Yeah, I said same to myself as well. When death comes I will smile and laugh at it because I had lived a good life. More like defeating death.
This is my wish. With God by my side I will fulfill it.

1 Like

Re: What Is Life? by crafteck(m): 9:26pm On May 06, 2018
Shedrack777:
seems like you don't have christ. go and accept christ my dear

So in essence, u beleive you will live forever in christ
Re: What Is Life? by daneni1(m): 9:26pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Lol, okay.

Beautiful things of life lol. The only thing life promises us is death.

Hi Makydebbie,

I want to believe all these is all in the mind. Though each and everyone of us will die one day, dats the only certain thing on earth. However, b4 death comes knocking, there are lots of things to be happy abt.

one thing I have come to realise is DAT, each time we wear our problems on our face and worry abt dem each passing day, dats wen it weigh us down and eat us of our joy and happiness.

I once read a book, I have forgotten the author tho, its titled "game of life and how to play it".

The author sees life as a game, she believes that if we can have negative tot in our heart and dey come to past, y can't we be positive also for it to become a fruition in our lives.

There is no one without challenges, our attitude towards life is all that matters.

My motto has always been, "nothing is worth worrying over"

Also, each time we act like our challenges don't exist, dats wen we win but d more we meditate it in our mind, it becomes a stronghold, pulling us down always.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by Akalia(m): 9:27pm On May 06, 2018
OP redirect your question to your creator (Jehovah GOD), (Daniel 2:22); to be honest, I sometimes ponder over the same exact question but I am yet to get any plausible answer from GOD. The answer to your question is not in the knowledge of any man alive, at least for now.

1 Like

Re: What Is Life? by Nobody: 9:29pm On May 06, 2018
Logically, life has no meaning. But some may feel that live has a meaning. Personally, I also feel that life has no meaning. Science say that there is nothing after death and I’m very happy by this.
Re: What Is Life? by z3ln0(m): 9:32pm On May 06, 2018
I will suggest you grab a copy of 'The power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle. More so you can read 'A new Earth' by the same author.

Basically the author spoke about the dysfunctionality of the human mind and how identification with it is the cause of suffering, essentially this is the Ego. The mind can't accept and surrender to what is i.e the isness and suchness of the present of moment. And as long as humans continue to be identified with their mind they'd continue to suffer. Untill there's a permanent shift in state of consciousness, meaning humans need to go beyond the mind, the need to 'see' or 'realize' that they are not their mind, and this realization is what is called 'awakening' or 'enlightenment' only then can they truly be at peace and free of suffering. Surrender here does not imply giving up on life and not chasing your set out goals but means yielding and not in resistance to whatever it is in the now. It starts with awareness and realising we are not our mind. If you say 'I think' are you the thought or are you the consciousness that is aware of thought. What do you think will happen if you stop thinking? Can you choose your next thought?

Before I stop here I'd just leave with a quote from one of the most influential and powerful man the world has ever seen - Marcus Aurelios ' Accept whatever comes to you woven in the pattern of your destiny, for what could more aptly fit your needs?'

2 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by Fronesis: 9:32pm On May 06, 2018
This is it and i pray you understand. Life is a gift and given to you to make impact on earth. That impact is about others and that's where your greatness and wellness is attached to. So you are here on an assignment.That's all!
Re: What Is Life? by otabaotaba: 9:37pm On May 06, 2018
Our life here on earth is like one trying to cross the bridge to eternity, how u cross will determine ur destination. We are only here to live a life that will determine our eternity
Re: What Is Life? by kabillion(m): 9:37pm On May 06, 2018
Just live it the best way it pleases' you. In this Buhari govt. life is gat no essence. In the words of 2pac "I c deaths around the corner"
Re: What Is Life? by nowpresence(f): 9:47pm On May 06, 2018
Fidelismaria:
What a beautiful thread
This question thus bring another question
'DID WE CREATE GOD OR DID GOD CREATE US'?
personally I'm beginning to think we created God
We are all gods. This world was created by imperfections
Re: What Is Life? by MensCabal(m): 9:50pm On May 06, 2018
karlboss:

Unplug your soul from the matrix that the men that control this world has created then you will understand life. They keep you us in control by making us chase the things that we feel will make us happy but they don't. If you can remove your mind from the matrix around you. Your essence will appear.
The sole purpose of creation of man is to grow and become like the gods that created us but mundane things like money, fashion , sports, religion etc will prevent you from this
Sir, can you please teach me more about what you mean by the purpose of man is to grow and become like the gods that created us. How do i prepare myself to be like them?

1 Like

Re: What Is Life? by Egghead4real: 9:51pm On May 06, 2018
You are lucky that you will die one day.Non living things do not die.However,man born of a woman is of few days full of troubles...(Job 14v1).
Re: What Is Life? by Newboss(m): 10:04pm On May 06, 2018
MrMystrO:
This question i cannot answer and i believe nobody Alive can. Nevertheless My contribution to this and to help with your post and these thoughts of yours, is that first of all understand, What are we all striving for? Plato said the Ultimate Goal of Man is to be Happy. So then, how do you find happiness? Happiness is Subjective. One mans i don blow is another mans I'm in wreck!! First key to Unconditional happiness is to Understand that Material things DO NOT bring real happiness because they are never enough. They only activate a sense of self rewarding feeling but they do not bring True happiness. To me, i believe True happiness can be found in Appreciating to the highest degree, the Little things of life. Appreciate to the highest degree the sunrise and sunset, Appreciate the cool breeze that blows in the evening, appreciate the lovely stars that shine at night.. appreciate Art, Music and anything Artistic. Appreciate those special people in your life who love you and always care about your well-being. Think of Life as a whole as a work of art, including the happy times and the Sad times, Learn to appreciate this art and believe me you will find a very deep sense of fulfillment in every situation, deeper that any you've ever felt. Learn to Unconditionally appreciate this Chaotic Cage we've found ourselves in and watch yourself become free inside...

I do hope you Live free and find unconditional happiness my good friend.
I guess you meant to say that happiness is relative. Not really subjective because it really exists. So it can be anything but subjective.
Re: What Is Life? by djon78(m): 10:05pm On May 06, 2018
For you to understand the essence and meaning of life, you just need to go to the maker of life, God.

From my Bible God simply made man, a spirit, with a soul and then he made the body out of the clay to house the spirit and soul.
We interact with this earth plane with our body. The day we die, our spirit leaves the body and goes back to the maker God.

Now the real man is not our body, the real man is our spirit. Infact it is our spirit that gives our body life.

In continuance of the Bible, the first man created by God was Adam, then God made the woman from Adams ribs and she was called eve.

Now the woman caused Adam to sin and disobey God's command and this disobedience brought sin into the world.

Sin reigned supreme over mankind until God himself took the likeness of man and came in the flesh, His name was Jesus Christ. He was God's son, he came as a lamb to pay for Adam's disobedience, because for God's laws, sin must be paid for. So Jesus Christ was crucified and killed. All the sins of the world was all laid on Him. He paid it with His own life, by his blood because the life of anything is in the blood.

But the good news is that Jesus Christ died, but He never remained in the grave. He rose again from the dead on the third day.

Now Jesus Christ tasted death for all mankind. Jesus Christ tasted death so that those who believe and accept Him as their sacrifice and Savior will not taste death.

The new testament of the Bible always state that Christians have passed from death to life. Therefore the day a true Christian, believer and follower of Jesus Christ dies he will not taste death. Because the death he is supposed to die Jesus Christ has already tasted it for him or her.

Moreover when Jesus Christ was crucified, He was whipped with stripes on his body. And that stripes on his body was for our healing. Because sin brought in disease to human body. Jesus Christ also paid for the healing of our bodies.
So all manner of sickness, whatever can be cured. But you can't access it without faith. By understanding that you have been healed. When this truth dawns on your inner man, sickness and disease will never have effect on you. But it comes with understanding.

The essence of life is simply learning to develop our human spirit which is the real man. People spend their lifetime developing their intellect while neglecting their spirit man, the real man that goes to the maker when they die.

The human body has no profit. The day your spirit leaves the body, decay sets in. If the body is not buried in the earth back to the ground from which God formed the first man, it will smell.

Whether humanity likes it or not we are simply God's creation. It was God that created us. Everything we achieve on this earth is simply God. Our wife, husband, children, house, money etc. The day we die, we will not carry a single dime, naked we came from our mothers womb and naked or empty we will go.

That is why I laugh at those who foolishly live only for these things. They are empty.

Man was God's creation to worship God, simple. We were created to worship God with our life, our substance, talent, wealth, etc by sharing it with our fellow human beings. To make life easy and enjoyable for our fellow human beings we come in contact with.

Living only for oneself, selfishness, greed, wickedness has made humanity worse.
Looking for people we will easily take advantage of for our own is against God's will.

So man was created by God to worship Him and to relate well with our fellow human beings and make life easy for them in any way we can.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Life? by Bishopsgate(m): 10:06pm On May 06, 2018
Thank God!! A worthy thread finally!!

My brother I will not claim to have all the answers but I can at least share my own knowledge and insights with you and I hope they will help you.

Before I do I will like to let you know that you are at the precipice of self realization and revelation. The events and the thoughts that brought you to this point were all part of your journey to self realization and revelation of your true essence.

To understand the meaning or value of life on earth you would need disabuse your mind of a lot of things you have been thought by society, parents, religion, schools and all worldly influences perceived by the 5 senses. This is because life is spiritual and cannot be perceived in its true form by all of these senses.

In the first place, you need to understand that YOU predate your "life" on earth. Life is simply the time that you spend on earth. It is not the totality of your existence or being.

"Life" as it is known on earth is considered to begin from conception in the womb but counting starts the minute you are born into this world. If you continue to believe this calculation to be true then you will never understand the value life.

Before you or anyone on this earth was born he/she existed in spirit and lived in the spirit realm. This sounds far reaching but even the major religions hint at it but they continue to keep stuff from people because it makes them easier to control and keeps this world moving. Revealing the truth will kill the world as we know it. And this is why it is written that my people perish for the lack of knowledge.

Before you were born you existed and had your own name. And that is why it was written :
[i][b]
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."[/[/b]i]

All life comes from God Almighty. God is a spirit and we are all his children. Spirit begets spirit. You come into this world (life) with nothing except your flesh (body) and spirit but at death you leave with only your spirit. The flesh (no matter how beautiful and perfect it was) is left here on earth to rot away.

Life is a degraded form of our true existence and form to allow for a testing of the spirit for TRUTH. All the travails and challenges experienced by all men are only possible in this degraded form. Poverty, sadness, barrenness difficulty are all problems of the flesh and there is a reason why God allowed it all.

Your spirit man belongs to God as you are part of him and came from him. The Devil, the prince of this world owns the world (please note I said the world not the earth - they are not the same) and has permission to o test all of God's children in a bid to ensure that they become tainted and unable to return to God as God is pure and cannot behold sin.

Have you never asked why God has continued to allow all the evil and wickedness in the world when he could put it all to an immediate end? He is not wicked or heartless to just ignore his own children. Our life is a test to see if indeed we will do God's will when tested.
In the spirit everything is in black and white, good and bad only. There is no in between. He is The Truth and the Devil is the Father of the lie as written.

All our senses make all the tests possible because they have the capacity to portray the lies of the devil. This senses are the reason why the Fisherman sank when he realized he was walking on water. His whole being and senses told him it is impossible to walk on water.

These senses are man's greatest enemy in building faith. When Christ said we would tell mountains to move if we had faith like a mustard seed did you think he was lying? With Faith comes the understanding of the Truth and with that all things are possible.

So my brother seek God personally and believe me you will find him because he is in you and talks to you. It's is simply our sins (doing things against God's will due to weaknesses of our current degraded state in the flesh) that separate us from him.

One way to improve your closeness to God is through Fasting. Fasting weakens the body. Once the body (flesh) is weak the spirit is strenghtened. Pray and confess your sins to him and ask him to strengthen you and guide you. Do your prayers between the hours of 12 and 3 am he will speak to you through the gifts he already imbued you with at the point he allowed you come for this test.

The story of Job is underrated. Note that even after his fall the devil still came to heaven and even responds to God on his actions on earth. Note carefully that it was God himself that mentioned Job to the devil as he was pleased with Job's conduct on earth. Also note that every evil test thrown at Job by the devil was only possible with and to the extent of God's permission granted him.

This why it is written that:

" No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it
"

The value of life is only obtained in completing this test of life successfully. The value is only to be found in the spirit which you will become when you die. Life is a test and also a gift as it allows you the opportunity to return on to the father and see the true life he desires for is all, no poverty, Nigerian hunger, no sadness where all evil and falsehood are not found.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is Life? by blinxx(m): 10:07pm On May 06, 2018
Hi..
There is a reason for life. You are here to fulfill a purpose and if you don't find or know what that purpose is, then life seems meaningless.

You have asked a very good question. It's not just about having Christ.
I will advice you take out time to read this book 'The purpose driven life' by Rick Warren. Believe you me, it will shape your perspective and help you find that purpose and give your life a better meaning.

God bless.

makydebbie:
Please this post is not for the feeble or dull minds.

Is this life worth anything?

What is life?

Because, I've come to realize that we're just living to die. And is this life worth the whole stress of living? If my question makes any sense.

I've also come to understand you don't live happily at any point. Things will happen and situations will keep stressing you at every point. When you're poor, you want to be rich so that you can solve your problems. But when you're also rich, there'll be stress. You'll start trying to make sure you don't go back to poverty and invest wisely. You can't just sit and enjoy your wealth. Situations will keep cropping up. Sometimes I'm scared to be happy because happiness doesn't last. Something bad must always happen.

What is this life?
Is it worth the stress that issues will keep coming up and you don't even get to sit back and enjoy?

Being a child is the best thing that happened to us all. Because then you had no worries, as we grow, our needs becomes endless. We're insatiable.

What is life? I'm tired of living, living this hard life knowing I'm going to die anytime and my goals and dreams that I'm working for becomes nothing at the end. I'm tired of getting almost everything wrong. Tired of not being happy all the time and the stress that keeps coming up.

What is the essence of life if we're just living and suffering only to die. Because in this life, THERE'S NOTHING LIKE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. We're just going through hell, just to die at the end.

Re: What Is Life? by vicben27(m): 10:11pm On May 06, 2018
Life is just full of Shiit! its Just a Circle, Not Minding weather your rich, or poor we all get to end up in some shiit hole(six feet thats even for the lucky ones). l've thought of this lately. and it make me not to give a shiit any more! i'll just Do my Best, explore every positive opportunity and try to live life the Best way l can. there is always reward for every efort, only time Will tell.

1 Like

Re: What Is Life? by beatmonster(m): 10:17pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Please this post is not for the feeble or dull minds.

Is this life worth anything?

What is life?

Because, I've come to realize that we're just living to die. And is this life worth the whole stress of living? If my question makes any sense.

I've also come to understand you don't live happily at any point. Things will happen and situations will keep stressing you at every point. When you're poor, you want to be rich so that you can solve your problems. But when you're also rich, there'll be stress. You'll start trying to make sure you don't go back to poverty and invest wisely. You can't just sit and enjoy your wealth. Situations will keep cropping up. Sometimes I'm scared to be happy because happiness doesn't last. Something bad must always happen.

What is this life?
Is it worth the stress that issues will keep coming up and you don't even get to sit back and enjoy?

Being a child is the best thing that happened to us all. Because then you had no worries, as we grow, our needs becomes endless. We're insatiable.

What is life? I'm tired of living, living this hard life knowing I'm going to die anytime and my goals and dreams that I'm working for becomes nothing at the end. I'm tired of getting almost everything wrong. Tired of not being happy all the time and the stress that keeps coming up.

What is the essence of life if we're just living and suffering only to die. Because in this life, THERE'S NOTHING LIKE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. We're just going through hell, just to die at the end.

Life used to be beautiful until money was invented and Rothschild created the world financial and monetary system. That's why life is hard
Re: What Is Life? by killsmith(f): 10:18pm On May 06, 2018
Birth is a curse.

Existence is pain.

Life is a prison.

Relationships, morality, ambitions, goals etc are all Illusions created to take our minds of the fact that life has no meaning.

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Pastor David Ibiyeomie Celebrates His 55th Birthday (portrait Sketch). / Christ Embassy Sues Akwa Ibom Government Over Arrest, Detention Of Pastor / Satan, The Cherub That Covereth And The Inverted Pyramid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.