Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,416 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor (15222 Views)

Youngest Monarch/king On Earth Till Today; Dein Of Agbor Delta State / Stop Promoting Igbo Culture, Says #dein_of_agbor / Meet The World Youngest King "Dein Of Agbor" And The History Of Agbor Delta Stat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 10:52am On May 16, 2018
STOP PROMOTING IGBO CULTURE, SAYS DEIN OF AGBOR
The Dein of Agbor Kingdom, His Royal Majesty Dr. Benjamin Ikenchukwu Keagborekuzi I, has enjoined his subjects to stop promoting Igbo culture, describing the Agbor culture as ‘unique and peculiar’.

IMG_9531 STOP PROMOTING IGBO CULTURE, SAYS DEIN OF AGBOR

The Dein gave the admonition at his palace recently while giving his royal blessings to the new Iregwa of Ogbemudien Community, Pa. Bogi Abagi. He called on the good people of Agbor Kingdom to join hands with him to effect the changes he desires to be in place. According to him, “I am back and happy to be in the midst of my subjects. This kind of gathering gives me joy because it is an opportunity for me to learn more from my people. There is room for change, therefore my wish and desire for my subjects is that they adopt and respect every change that is being made. Going through the history of Agbor Kingdom, one will thank the gods for wisdom. Thus, everyone will join hands with me to reposition things the way they ought to be in order to restore our lost glory”.

He called on all Agbor indigenes to preserve Agbor culture and stop promoting Igbo culture. His words, “stop giving our children Igbo names. The native names given to our children should be pronounced and written in Agbor language and not in Igbo or Ika language as Agbor has its own unique language. The Igbo red cap should also be dropped as it is not a native cap for Agbor Kingdom. Soon, I will start driving away my palace chiefs who are fond of coming to the palace, wearing in red caps. Agbor traditions should be respected and preserved for future generations. Parents and the elderly should teach our children and the youths the culture of Agbor”.

The Odion of Agbor Kingdom, Chief Julius Ochei who led the new Iregwa and the people of Ogbemudien to the Dein’s Palace for blessing, said the Iregwa title goes to the oldest man in Ogbemudien Community, stating that it is the turn of Pa. John Bogi Abagi who is 89 years and the oldest man. The Iregwa, according to Chief Ochie is the traditional head of Ogbemudein Community in Agbor Kingdom.

In a chat with Ika Weekly Newspaper Reporter, the Chairman of Ogbemudien Community, Hon. Simon Okpali lauded the Dein for his wealth of knowledge and prayed the good Lord to empower him. He expressed his confidence in the new Iregwa of Ogbemudien to lead well and thanked the Dein for his blessings.

Julius Ehiabor, the Onu-otu of Ogbemudein Community, on his part, said Pa. Abagi leadership is good and that the good people of Ogbemudien Community are happy. He prayed God to give the new Iregwa good health and long life.

Mr. Johnbull Okwuogori Aghaulor felicitating with the Iregwa, appealed to him to continue to lead them in truth. He prayed God to bless the Dein of Agbor, the Iregwa, Ogbemudein Community and Agbor Kingdom.

Responding, Pa. Abagi thanked the Dein, saying that his joy knows no bounds, while soliciting for the cooperation of every son and daughter of Ogbemudein Community to enable him give the Dein the needed support to move Agbor Kingdom forward.

PATRICK GBUCHANYE

As posted on Ika weekly web site

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by scholes0(m): 11:07am On May 16, 2018
shocked shocked
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 11:15am On May 16, 2018
south southerners trying to re-write their history and direct it away from Igbo history.

Just because you think they're losers since after the war. before the war when they were big gamers in Nigeria you proudly identified with them in order to have protection and reach peak of political influence.

Continue..

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 11:45am On May 16, 2018
Extinction is loading....

Extinction in a bit.
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Klinee: 12:46pm On May 16, 2018
stupid man!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Igboid: 7:36pm On May 16, 2018
How authentic is the source of this story.

cc:Lalasticlala.

This thread is a sure front page banger. It could draw crowd. grin

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Fatherofdragons: 8:29pm On May 16, 2018
It's good that they are coming out now to denounce anything igbo in them so as to not get confused when u see someone with the name ameachi amadi but he is not igbo.

Stop bearing our names so as to know who is who Biko.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by agadez007(m): 9:45pm On May 16, 2018
Agbor ethnic Nationality

Makes sense

3 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 9:46am On May 17, 2018
But why grin grin grin
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by RedboneSmith(m): 3:39pm On May 17, 2018
I am a little amused at the level of attention the Dein's comments have been getting online. Why is everyone acting surprised over it? Like, y'all didn't know that Agbor is one of the Anioma towns with the strongest non-Igbo-identifying stance? Even when he appeared to insinuate that Agbor is not Ika, that too shouldn't surprise anyone who knows how Agbor people can sometimes take this superior stand-alone, I-am-unique-from-everyone posture.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by kayfra: 4:50pm On May 17, 2018
South-South isn't Igbo. Everybody knows that by now grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Emilokoiyawon: 3:17am On May 18, 2018
Well I guess for him Igbo is not Amaka

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 08, 2019
south southerners trying to re-write their history and direct it away from Igbo history.

Just because you think they're losers since after the war. before the war when they were big gamers in Nigeria you proudly identified with them in order to have protection and reach peak of political influence.

Continue..
keep quiet, you guys have no history with us

4 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by OMANBALA1: 7:13pm On Jan 09, 2019
The ignorant man called ikenchnkwu is towing the path of his forebears. That ffool has no modicum of wisdom in his existence.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Geesaintagape: 4:42pm On Jan 11, 2019
I still don't understand the idea behind all Ibo matter.
Nigeria is Nigeria
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by goalernestman: 8:35pm On Jan 20, 2019
OMANBALA1:
The ignorant man called ikenchnkwu is towing the path of his forebears. That ffool has no modicum of wisdom in his existence.

the man use no afor he used only the eben a Benin staff, the king have preserved the kingdom history right from time to time, he have been saying how them come from Benin but you igbos slave that started existing with British help wont want to accept

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 2:58am On Jan 21, 2019
Agbor culture is Igbo culture.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by RedboneSmith(m): 4:20am On Jan 21, 2019
goalernestman:

the man use no afor he used only the eben a Benin staff, the king have preserved the kingdom history right from time to time, he have been saying how them come from Benin but you igbos slave that started existing with British help wont want to accept

Ika clans, including Agbor, have ofor. Quit saying things you do not know.

4 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Donarozzi: 7:06pm On Jan 21, 2019

2 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 21, 2019

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Konquest: 6:14am On Jan 22, 2019
samuk:
The Dein of Agbor Kingdom, His Royal Majesty Dr. Benjamin Ikenchukwu Keagborekuzi I, has enjoined his subjects to stop promoting Igbo culture, describing the Agbor culture as ‘unique and peculiar’.

The Dein gave the admonition at his palace recently while giving his royal blessings to the new Iregwa of Ogbemudien Community, Pa. Bogi Abagi. He called on the good people of Agbor Kingdom to join hands with him to effect the changes he desires to be in place. According to him, “I am back and happy to be in the midst of my subjects. This kind of gathering gives me joy because it is an opportunity for me to learn more from my people. There is room for change, therefore my wish and desire for my subjects is that they adopt and respect every change that is being made. Going through the history of Agbor Kingdom, one will thank the gods for wisdom. Thus, everyone will join hands with me to reposition things the way they ought to be in order to restore our lost glory”.

He called on all Agbor indigenes to preserve Agbor culture and stop promoting Igbo culture. His words, “stop giving our children Igbo names. The native names given to our children should be pronounced and written in Agbor language and not in Igbo or Ika language as Agbor has its own unique language. The Igbo red cap should also be dropped as it is not a native cap for Agbor Kingdom. Soon, I will start driving away my palace chiefs who are fond of coming to the palace, wearing in red caps. Agbor traditions should be respected and preserved for future generations. Parents and the elderly should teach our children and the youths the culture of Agbor”.

The Odion of Agbor Kingdom, Chief Julius Ochei who led the new Iregwa and the people of Ogbemudien to the Dein’s Palace for blessing, said the Iregwa title goes to the oldest man in Ogbemudien Community, stating that it is the turn of Pa. John Bogi Abagi who is 89 years and the oldest man. The Iregwa, according to Chief Ochie is the traditional head of Ogbemudein Community in Agbor Kingdom.

In a chat with Ika Weekly Newspaper Reporter, the Chairman of Ogbemudien Community, Hon. Simon Okpali lauded the Dein for his wealth of knowledge and prayed the good Lord to empower him. He expressed his confidence in the new Iregwa of Ogbemudien to lead well and thanked the Dein for his blessings.

Julius Ehiabor, the Onu-otu of Ogbemudein Community, on his part, said Pa. Abagi leadership is good and that the good people of Ogbemudien Community are happy. He prayed God to give the new Iregwa good health and long life.

Mr. Johnbull Okwuogori Aghaulor felicitating with the Iregwa, appealed to him to continue to lead them in truth. He prayed God to bless the Dein of Agbor, the Iregwa, Ogbemudein Community and Agbor Kingdom.

Responding, Pa. Abagi thanked the Dein, saying that his joy knows no bounds, while soliciting for the cooperation of every son and daughter of Ogbemudein Community to enable him give the Dein the needed support to move Agbor Kingdom forward.

PATRICK GBUCHANYE

Very interesting! grin

I have friends from Agbor who identify as Ika with
Edo surnames but with an Iboid subculture due
to interactions with nearby Anioma communities.

Obaigbena, Irabor, Ovia are some popular
surnames from Agbor in Delta State.

As for the red cap it is originally of Igala origin
and was introduced into the Nsukka area by Igala
people. Yorubas of Kogi and Kwara also wear red
chieftaincy caps. It is not strictly an Ibo creation!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by goalernestman: 12:35pm On Jan 28, 2019
samuk:

PATRICK GBUCHANYE

yes the king is very right if you dig to history fact

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Donarozzi: 5:29pm On Jan 28, 2019
abdelrahman:
But why grin grin grin

I make these comments with due respect to the elders of Agbor and the entire Igbo institutions in Agbor. I am of the impression that the elders of Agbor who are the custodians of the Igbo traditions of Agbor are feeling uncomfortable with the way the current Dei of Agbor, Benjamin Ikechukwu, is piloting the affairs of their community. Benjamin Ikechukwu was not brought up in Igboland, does not speak Igbo, and as such does not really understand the intricacies of Igbo culture and traditions. That the kingship institution of Agbor is hereditary does not mean that the king has the right to burst in and ignorantly supplant the real traditions of his people with alien traditions. Let the elders of Agbor stand up and call Benjamin Ikechukwu to order. I don't know if Benjamin Ikechukwu really told his people to stop practising Igbo culture. But if the young king actually said so, the elders of Agbor must rise up immediately and educate him so that he could learn that Agbor is fundamentally Igbo.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jan 28, 2019
Donarozzi:

I make these comments with due respect to the elders of Agbor and the entire Igbo institutions in Agbor. I am of the impression that the elders of Agbor who are the custodians of the Igbo traditions of Agbor are feeling uncomfortable with the way the current Dei of Agbor, Benjamin Ikechukwu, is piloting the affairs of their community. Benjamin Ikechukwu was not brought up in Igboland, does not speak Igbo, and as such does not really understand the intricacies of Igbo culture and traditions. That the kingship institution of Agbor is hereditary does not mean that the king has the right to burst in and ignorantly supplant the real traditions of his people with alien traditions. Let the elders of Agbor stand up and call Benjamin Ikechukwu to order. I don't know if Benjamin Ikechukwu really told his people to stop practising Igbo culture. But if the young king actually said so, the elders of Agbor must rise up immediately and educate him so that he could learn that Agbor is fundamentally Igbo.
keep quiet and stop saying rubbish.

Igboland start and end in south East, you people have luck the British came and gave your people a region to call their own.

So you an Igbo man know better than the king and his people? SMH

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by goalernestman: 1:17am On Jan 29, 2019
RedboneSmith:

Ika clans, including Agbor, have ofor. Quit saying things you do not know.
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 27, 2019
Quite a pity Agbor... Shai

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by AreaFada2: 8:15pm On Apr 25, 2020
samuk:

PATRICK GBUCHANYE

Samuk, I know this is an old post.

You see, the British were so avowed to cut down the influence of Benin since the 1840s in Lagos that they didn't rest until 1960. From West to East.

While Benin didn't have large populations in its territories, their monarchs and nobility were pure Benin princes and nobility. From Eleko, Eletu Odibo and Obanikoro in Lagos to Ogiamie/Olu and his original chiefs in Warri.

Over 120 years was more than enough to suppress Benin history, while helping other previously tribal groups unite into large ethnic nationalities. The newly emerged larger tribes now took over the suppression crusade from colonial masters.

But in that time, when succession fight occurred in several of those former Benin territories, the matter would be settled in Benin palace. Because those monarchs previously got their approval from Oba of Benin and the history is well known in Benin.

Clearly, Dr Zik who was born in 1904 probably grew up to meet relatives born around 1830s to 1840s. The reign of Oba Osemwende. So he got the authentic history of Onitsha from those old relatives. Even a young man like me met elderly relatives well over 90 years old over 30 years ago. People born around 1880s to 1890s.

Their story of Lagos, Onitsha, much of Anioma, Itsekhiri and Edoid people were remarkably consistent. Even echoed what Zik wrote about Onitsha.

As for Agbor, they are a unique Igboid people but infused with much Benin royal and aristocratic traditions.

I think what many Igbo have refused to accept is that people cannot be forced to identify with you. Cultures evolve over time. The English, Dutch, Swedes, Danes. Flemish, Norwegians and others are Germanic people BUT THEY ARE NOT Germans. Urhobo/Okpe, Isoko, Degema and others are of Greater Benin/Edoid origin but they are not called Benin people of today.

So we cannot start throwing insult at people for carving out a unique identity for themselves. Otherwise the suspicion that it's all about domination of others becomes very potent.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 9:07pm On Apr 25, 2020
AreaFada2:

Samuk, I know this is an old post.

You see, the British were so avowed to cut down the influence of Benin since the 1840s in Lagos that they didn't rest until 1960. From West to East.

While Benin didn't have large populations in its territories, their monarchs and nobility were pure Benin princes and nobility. From Eleko, Eletu Odibo and Obanikoro in Lagos to Ogiamie/Olu and his original chiefs in Warri.

Over 120 years was more than enough to suppress Benin history, while helping other previously tribal groups unite into large ethnic nationalities. The newly emerged larger tribes now took over the suppression crusade from colonial masters.

But in that time, when succession fight occurred in several of those former Benin territories, the matter would be settled in Benin palace. Because those monarchs previously got their approval from Oba of Benin and the history is well known in Benin.

Clearly, Dr Zik who was born in 1904 probably grew up to meet relatives born around 1830s to 1840s. The reign of Oba Osemwende. So he got the authentic history of Onitsha from those old relatives. Even a young man like me met elderly relatives well over 90 years old over 30 years ago. People born around 1880s to 1890s.

Their story of Lagos, Onitsha, much of Anioma, Itsekhiri and Edoid people were remarkably consistent. Even echoed what Zik wrote about Onitsha.

As for Agbor, they are a unique Igboid people but infused with much Benin royal and aristocratic traditions.

I think what many Igbo have refused to accept is that people cannot be forced to identify with you. Cultures evolve over time. The English, Dutch, Swedes, Danes. Flemish, Norwegians and others are Germanic people BUT THEY ARE NOT Germans. Urhobo/Okpe, Isoko, Degema and others are of Greater Benin/Edoid origin but they are Benin people of today.

So we cannot start throwing insult at people for carving out a unique identity for themselves. Otherwise the suspicion that it's all about domination of others becomes very potent.

With the way the Igbos are going on with their Nri project, Biafra will unlikely extend more than the current 5 states that make up south east. Someone already told us in a different thread that the Obi of Onitsha will not break the cola is the presence of some Nri Ezes.

Imagine the Obi of Agbor with history spanning hundreds of years, probably more authentic and prestigious than any Nri Eze being made to become second class monarch to these Nri Ezes in a new Biafra.

Recently some of these monarchs and people in the south south are beginning to reaffirmed their traditional links with Benin because the dangers of their thrones and culture going extinct is very real should Nigeria breaks up and they are absorbed by these later days big tribes.

Under Benin empire, these various tribes were allowed their autonomy, something, they will likely lose under the so called big tribes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 10:00pm On Apr 25, 2020
samuk:

With the way the Igbos are going on with their Nri project, Biafra will unlikely extend more than the current 5 states that make up south east. Someone already told us in a different thread that the Obi of Onitsha will not break the cola is the presence of some Nri Ezes.

Imagine the Obi of Agbor with history spanning hundreds of years, probably more authentic and prestigious than any Nri Eze being made to become second class monarch to these Nri Ezes in a new Biafra.

Recently some of these monarchs and people in the south south are beginning to reaffirmed their traditional links with Benin because the dangers of their thrones and culture going extinct is very real should Nigeria breaks up and they are absorbed by these later days big tribes.

Under Benin empire, these various tribes were allowed their autonomy, something, they will likely lose under the so called big tribes.

This little kingdom of Benin will be making noise everyday.

Governor of Delta state is Ifeanyi Okowa not Izoduwa Obaseki....are yo guys really this drunk .

Yorubas trashed you and gave every reasons to justify that edos are Yorubas and na Igbos you want face now...you will hit the rock and learnt the history in blunt and abusive man....

Nonsense and gibberish kingdom...

5 local government constituting nuisance online. Go to asaba and tell the ruler obi chike Edozien that one history said you are Benin and one eben was in your palace and na we get you...

Nonsense and buhari.

Ndi ara

9 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 25, 2020
Benin should start attending Oduduwa meeting as others are fully represented in Ohanaeze.

Dissolve whatever is remaining if you into afenifere and join them...and stop all these talk talk talk..

How can people be naturally and diagonally stupid?

Someone in Benin dragging someone in ogoja and someone is Benin dragging someone in ekpeye answering njekwe....is that not asymetrical madness?

Hian....ooo chimooo...

There is nothing person no go read on nairaland.

Empire mbok

4 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 11:07pm On Apr 25, 2020
Osagyefo98:

This little kingdom of Benin will be making noise everyday.

Governor of Delta state is Ifeanyi Okowa not Izoduwa Obaseki....are yo guys really this drunk .

Yorubas trashed you and gave every reasons to justify that edos are Yorubas and na Igbos you want face now...you will hit the rock and learnt the history in blunt and abusive man....

Nonsense and gibberish kingdom...

5 local government constituting nuisance online. Go to asaba and tell the ruler obi chike Edozien that one history said you are Benin and one eben was in your palace and na we get you...

Nonsense and buhari.

Ndi ara

After all these ranting, one thing is very clear, Obi of Agbor is far more senior to any Eze in Igbo land because the popular saying in Igbo is "Igbo enwe eze", which translates to "the Igbo have no King".

2 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by chizakris: 2:43am On Apr 26, 2020
RedboneSmith:
I am a little amused at the level of attention the Dein's comments have been getting online. Why is everyone acting surprised over it? Like, y'all didn't know that Agbor is one of the Anioma towns with the strongest non-Igbo-identifying stance? Even when he appeared to insinuate that Agbor is not Ika, that too shouldn't surprise anyone who knows how Agbor people can sometimes take this superior stand-alone, I-am-unique-from-everyone posture.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Can Any Nigerian Man Look Like This Man (Pics Included) / Yorubas Lets Share Our Lineage Praises Here / Igbira Women, What About Them?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.