Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor (15167 Views)

Youngest Monarch/king On Earth Till Today; Dein Of Agbor Delta State / Stop Promoting Igbo Culture, Says #dein_of_agbor / Meet The World Youngest King "Dein Of Agbor" And The History Of Agbor Delta Stat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Donarozzi: 5:36am On Aug 30, 2020
RedboneSmith:

This same Zik they keep calling wrote an article in the 1930s, long before his autobiography came out, where he said Chime and his people came from a kingdom near Benin (most probably in Anioma) and were driven out in a war with Benin.

But even though I've brought this article to their attention, they conveniently choose to act like there are no alternative (more logical) accounts of Ezechime's origins than the He-came-from-Benin account.

Go to Obomkpa, an Ezechime-descent town in Delta. They'll tell you Ezechime came from a now-destroyed Anioma town called Ogidi, near where Agbor is situated today and was driven out in a war with Benin. Note how Obomkpa traditions closely parallels what Zik wrote in the 1930s.

Even apart from the names being Igbo names, all the traditions affirm that Ezechime left with ofo and ufie. Ask Benin people if Ofo and Ufie are part of their culture. And if not how did a Benin man leave Benin with ofo and ufie?

On the origin of Ezechima...

https://www.nairaland.com/2727354/ezechime
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Donarozzi: 8:18pm On Sep 01, 2020
Kirigidi:
Mr man, you that is from South East cannot tell an Agbor man his history because you are not from there.

"Of the twenty-one clans in Agbor, many were founded by lgbo migrants; only three were founded by Benin. Some have mixed Agbo, Benin and Ishan origin. For instance, Igbodo and a few like Agbor-Nta claim autochthony. Agbor is very complex: a melting pot of all cultures in which in spite of its nearness to Benin, the lgbo culture dominates because it is an ancient settlement founded by speakers of proto-Igboid."

2 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Abagworo(m): 2:38pm On Sep 09, 2020
Ika language is Igbo language very much like Igbo spoken in present day Imo State. It sounds different from Igbo spoken in Asaba, Ogwashi and others that sound like Anambra. All these confusion are unnecessary and if thorough study is done their ancestors should be same as Isu because there is no way the language will jump from Imo State past all those communities except through ancestry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lz8ghE25Aw

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by RedboneSmith(m): 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2020
Abagworo:
Ika language is Igbo language very much like Igbo spoken in present day Imo State. It sounds different from Igbo spoken in Asaba, Ogwashi and others that sound like Anambra. All these confusion are unnecessary and if thorough study is done their ancestors should be same as Isu because there is no way the language will jump from Imo State past all those communities except through ancestry.

Apart from wu and ri, Ika is closer to the Igbo of Nsukka than to Imo.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Daum: 3:25pm On Sep 11, 2020
Agbor is complex. And also with Anioma.
There is a community in Delta North called Oza Nogogo. They speak Benin. Another is Idumwun oza and some other communities.

These communities will never agree to be Igbo origin no matter what

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Omanambala(m): 5:33pm On Sep 11, 2020
Abagworo:

Contrary to what I initially believed, that Ika is not intelligible to the rest of the Igbo nation I was surprised to understand 80% of what the lady was speaking. Lol..how long will the deceit continue?

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Bigsunny01(m): 5:43pm On Sep 11, 2020
Donarozzi:

On the history that Agbor of Western Igboland originated from Umunagbor village of Amagbor Ihitte in Mbaise...

https://books.google.com/books?id=nFlX9bCPKzMC&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=umun-agbor&source=bl&ots=75L-yk6gFT&sig=DOjUzhXzhGMcfSXE3VdJVdKxc4Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwit6eua_dvfAhVCQKwKHVU-DP0Q6AEwAnoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=umun-agbor&f=false

No be only, keep talking trash.... It seems u don't know where u came from as human. Dis people know where dey came from

For ur information de name AGBOR is a corrupted name from AGBON and Agbon means THE WORLD in Benin
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Bigsunny01(m): 5:44pm On Sep 11, 2020
Donarozzi:

On the history that Agbor of Western Igboland originated from Umunagbor village of Amagbor Ihitte in Mbaise...

https://books.google.com/books?id=nFlX9bCPKzMC&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=umun-agbor&source=bl&ots=75L-yk6gFT&sig=DOjUzhXzhGMcfSXE3VdJVdKxc4Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwit6eua_dvfAhVCQKwKHVU-DP0Q6AEwAnoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=umun-agbor&f=false

No be only, keep talking trash.... It seems u don't know where u came from as human. Dis people know where dey came from

For ur information de name AGBOR is a corrupted name from AGBON and Agbon means THE WORLD in Benin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by darfay: 4:51pm On Sep 12, 2020
Osagyefo98:

This little kingdom of Benin will be making noise everyday.

Governor of Delta state is Ifeanyi Okowa not Izoduwa Obaseki....are yo guys really this drunk .

Yorubas trashed you and gave every reasons to justify that edos are Yorubas and na Igbos you want face now...you will hit the rock and learnt the history in blunt and abusive man....

Nonsense and gibberish kingdom...

5 local government constituting nuisance online. Go to asaba and tell the ruler obi chike Edozien that one history said you are Benin and one eben was in your palace and na we get you...

Nonsense and buhari.

Ndi ara

Loool @ 5 lga(actually 7)
But that 5(7) lga is bigger in landmass than all Igbo states except maybe only Enugu
Just stating the obvious, no harm meant

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 12, 2020
darfay:

But that 5(7) lga is bigger in landmass than all Igbo states except maybe only Enugu

So Bini of 5 local government is now a state?

So other ethnicities there like Esan, even auchi Edo north no follow.

Your logic sounds too childish and weak.

Your obvious is empty.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by darfay: 11:52pm On Sep 12, 2020
Osagyefo98:

So Bini of 5 local government is now a state?

So other ethnicities there like Esan, even auchi Edo north no follow.

Your logic sounds too childish and weak.

Your obvious is empty.

Loooool
I meant landmass and bini land is over 50% of Edo state which makes it bigger than almost all SE Hamlets/states

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 11:59pm On Sep 12, 2020
darfay:

Loooool
I meant landmass and bini land is over 50% of Edo state which makes it bigger than almost all SE Hamlets/states

I am not in league of discussing Bini neither of her neighbours (Isoko) like you. I don't spend much time on such.

Bini remains a senatorial district and I wonder how a senatorial district will be higher than many senatorial districts.

Sometimes after writing, read what you wrote. Imagine arguing Bini this Bini that, this night...Abeg.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by darfay: 12:23am On Sep 13, 2020
Osagyefo98:

I am not in league of discussing Bini neither of her neighbours (Isoko) like you. I don't spend much time on such.

Bini remains a senatorial district and I wonder how a senatorial district will be higher than many senatorial districts.

Sometimes after writing, read what you wrote. Imagine arguing Bini this Bini that, this night...Abeg.

And choose osagye as you preferred anti Edo (oid) moniker?
Have yourself a good night rest

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Omanambala(m): 1:06am On Sep 13, 2020
darfay:

Loooool

Bini is a little irrelevant to the Igbo nation. Go sleep , little boy....see insolence

2 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 13, 2020
darfay:

And choose osagye as you preferred anti Edo (oid) moniker? Have yourself a good night rest
You nigeria and Nigerians shallow way of research
Osagyefo is a Ghanaian word not edo or related to edo.
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by gregyboy(m): 10:58am On Sep 13, 2020
darfay:

Guy chill you got me rolling

So short and killing

The obsession is beyond that of the yorubas
Osagyfo98 i have told you one day you will commit ethnic cleansing on the igbo people because of benins

Am the one who is trashing yoruba so talk to me

Darfay nor mind the idiot

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 13, 2020
gregyboy:

Guy chill you got me rolling

So short and killing

The obsession is beyond that of the yorubas
Osagyfo98 i have told you one day you will commit ethnic cleansing on the igbo people because of benins

Am the one who is trashing yoruba so talk to me

Darfay nor mind the idiot

Why should I commit such?

Not possible.

My stand, infact our stand is simple, we will never our any bini-igbo history sail through especially for future purposes.

I mean future purposes. The Bini history must be pushed at Yorubas doorstep.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 7:22pm On Sep 13, 2020
RedboneSmith:

I have heard two explanations.

1. Oko + uwa. Oko is Igbo for man or male. Uwa is Edo for wealth. So it would mean man of wealth or wealthy man. I disagree with this explanation because Ika people do not say uwa but uwe. If the name was wealthy man, it would have been Okowe or Okuwe.

2. The second explanation which makes more sense to me is Oko + Owa, where Oko is still Igbo for man, and Owa is the name of the town. So that Okowa would mean man from Owa.

Ifeanyi Okowa is from Owa by the way.
Oko means friend in Ika language. Going with your explanation, his name means friend of Owa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 13, 2020
Abagworo:

Owerri and Ika is highly unintelligible. I understand other Igbo better than this Oweri you guys also try to connect us with and I've been with lots of Owerri people and asked them if they understand what I talk with my friends and they don't. Even the Enugu and Anambra guys understand us better. The Owerri narrative hold no water

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 13, 2020
Omanambala:

Contrary to what I initially believed, that Ika is not intelligible to the rest of the Igbo nation I was surprised to understand 80% of what the lady was speaking. Lol..how long will the deceit continue?
You're a liar. I'm sure about that

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by RedboneSmith(m): 7:49pm On Sep 13, 2020
Takeproft:
Oko means friend in Ika language. Going with your explanation, his name means friend of Owa

I've always known friend in Ika to be Osi. Are you Ika?
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 13, 2020
RedboneSmith:

I've always known friend in Ika to be Osi. Are you Ika?
Osi, Owu, Oyi, Oko etc. Yes, I'm Ika

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by scholes0(m): 8:14pm On Sep 13, 2020
proeast:

Honestly, I really blame some of the Anioma people who doesn't understand the implications of allowing such insult by these guys to stand against them.

People are relying on myths and legends to claim being superior to another group of people that are totally different from them.

Of what benefit would associating with Benin offer to the Anioma people when they're even more populous, more educated, and more endowed in terms of human and natural resources than the said Bini, a minority group with nothing to offer?

Chaiiii
Gregyboy see your life? See how bini was totally and utterly disgraced! c’est dommage grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 14, 2020
RedboneSmith:

I have heard two explanations.

1. Oko + uwa. Oko is Igbo for man or male. Uwa is Edo for wealth. So it would mean man of wealth or wealthy man. I disagree with this explanation because Ika people do not say uwa but uwe. If the name was wealthy man, it would have been Okowe or Okuwe.

2. The second explanation which makes more sense to me is Oko + Owa, where Oko is still Igbo for man, and Owa is the name of the town. So that Okowa would mean man from Owa.

Ifeanyi Okowa is from Owa by the way.

There are other people who still say Enyi-oko..More like my friend. " Bia enyi oko " what is your problem.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 14, 2020
Takeproft:

Noted.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 7:04am On Sep 14, 2020
Takeproft:
Owerri and Ika is highly unintelligible. I understand other Igbo better than this Oweri you guys also try to connect us with and I've been with lots of Owerri people and asked them if they understand what I talk with my friends and they don't. Even the Enugu and Anambra guys understand us better. The Owerri narrative hold no water

I have to agree. I believe someone in asaba will understand you more better and faster than far owerri.

The paper narratives is a hogwash.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by AutomaticMotors: 8:39am On Oct 06, 2022
samuk:

The Igbo gave Nigeria the current unitary system of governance we are practicing, we are all going to stay and enjoy it together. If you don't like it, you can try to leave and we can still remember how that ended before.

Wotowoto grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Shugavee(f): 11:55pm On Feb 04, 2023
Fatherofdragons:
It's good that they are coming out now to denounce anything igbo in them so as to not get confused when u see someone with the name ameachi amadi but he is not igbo.

Stop bearing our names so as to know who is who Biko.
our names !! You’ll very irritating, Igbo is a language , just like English , which one is our names? Lol Anioma has nothing to do with Igbo. Hope you getting use to it by now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Shugavee(f): 11:58pm On Feb 04, 2023

I have to agree. I believe someone in asaba will understand you more better and faster than far owerri.

The paper narratives is a hogwash.
lol makes zero sense , but feel free to think whatever, it’s your thinking spirit
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by AutomaticMotors: 9:39am On Feb 06, 2023
darfay:

grin grin grin grin Orhiomwon LGA alone is bigger than Enugu and Imo state combined grin cheesy
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by XAUBulls: 10:28pm On Dec 13, 2023
samuk:
STOP PROMOTING IGBO CULTURE, SAYS DEIN OF AGBOR
The Dein of Agbor Kingdom, His Royal Majesty Dr. Benjamin Ikenchukwu Keagborekuzi I, has enjoined his subjects to stop promoting Igbo culture, describing the Agbor culture as ‘unique and peculiar’.

IMG_9531 STOP PROMOTING IGBO CULTURE, SAYS DEIN OF AGBOR

The Dein gave the admonition at his palace recently while giving his royal blessings to the new Iregwa of Ogbemudien Community, Pa. Bogi Abagi. He called on the good people of Agbor Kingdom to join hands with him to effect the changes he desires to be in place. According to him, “I am back and happy to be in the midst of my subjects. This kind of gathering gives me joy because it is an opportunity for me to learn more from my people. There is room for change, therefore my wish and desire for my subjects is that they adopt and respect every change that is being made. Going through the history of Agbor Kingdom, one will thank the gods for wisdom. Thus, everyone will join hands with me to reposition things the way they ought to be in order to restore our lost glory”.

He called on all Agbor indigenes to preserve Agbor culture and stop promoting Igbo culture. His words, “stop giving our children Igbo names. The native names given to our children should be pronounced and written in Agbor language and not in Igbo or Ika language as Agbor has its own unique language. The Igbo red cap should also be dropped as it is not a native cap for Agbor Kingdom. Soon, I will start driving away my palace chiefs who are fond of coming to the palace, wearing in red caps. Agbor traditions should be respected and preserved for future generations. Parents and the elderly should teach our children and the youths the culture of Agbor”.

The Odion of Agbor Kingdom, Chief Julius Ochei who led the new Iregwa and the people of Ogbemudien to the Dein’s Palace for blessing, said the Iregwa title goes to the oldest man in Ogbemudien Community, stating that it is the turn of Pa. John Bogi Abagi who is 89 years and the oldest man. The Iregwa, according to Chief Ochie is the traditional head of Ogbemudein Community in Agbor Kingdom.

In a chat with Ika Weekly Newspaper Reporter, the Chairman of Ogbemudien Community, Hon. Simon Okpali lauded the Dein for his wealth of knowledge and prayed the good Lord to empower him. He expressed his confidence in the new Iregwa of Ogbemudien to lead well and thanked the Dein for his blessings.

Julius Ehiabor, the Onu-otu of Ogbemudein Community, on his part, said Pa. Abagi leadership is good and that the good people of Ogbemudien Community are happy. He prayed God to give the new Iregwa good health and long life.

Mr. Johnbull Okwuogori Aghaulor felicitating with the Iregwa, appealed to him to continue to lead them in truth. He prayed God to bless the Dein of Agbor, the Iregwa, Ogbemudein Community and Agbor Kingdom.

Responding, Pa. Abagi thanked the Dein, saying that his joy knows no bounds, while soliciting for the cooperation of every son and daughter of Ogbemudein Community to enable him give the Dein the needed support to move Agbor Kingdom forward.

PATRICK GBUCHANYE

As posted on Ika weekly web site

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Yorubas Too Are Jews - New Research / Let's Learn Swahili / Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.