Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor (15122 Views)

Youngest Monarch/king On Earth Till Today; Dein Of Agbor Delta State / Stop Promoting Igbo Culture, Says #dein_of_agbor / Meet The World Youngest King "Dein Of Agbor" And The History Of Agbor Delta Stat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by IDENNAA(m): 12:56am On Apr 30, 2020
You want us to believe a people w/o written history who we also couldn't verify a single aspect of their purported origin ? Are you ok.

Go to google and search origin of Umuoji and I can tell you somebody wrote that my ancient Umuoji town originated from Arochukwu...this person is from Umuoji , educated and influencial yet they are peddling false accounts of Umuoji history. Should I believe him knowing very well there is absolutely nothing that link us to Arochukwu.

Likewise, there is absolutely nothing liking Onicha to Bini except few item of kingship they borrowed. Oga , abeg , vamoose!

2 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 1:03am On Apr 30, 2020
IDENNAA:

Yes, he stated what the oral tradition told before the mind blowing research that proved absolutely that Onicha couldn't have originated from Bini. If , so , how in the world does 99.9% of all Onicha people including Olona, Ukwu , Ugbo bear Igbotic name. This cant happen over night...explain that mystery.

How often does Bini , Uhrobo, Efemai , Eshan , Etsako have children and they all ended with Igbotic names. Its not possible except if we Igbo were oppressors that forced our culture on others but we aren't. Bini were the oppressors in the old times yet they ended up with nothing.

And , yes, you are eternally insecure and ignorant. Because if you knew Onicha culture very well you would never pay mind to any soul thats peddling the Bini story. Even the Bini closest neighbors like Igbanke and Agbor held on to their Igbo cultures....even the Ignophobic Obi/Dein of Agbor held to his Igbotic names till this day while he was busy cajoling his subjects to denounce Igbo. Dein Ikencuku Keagborekuzi is his name yet this is the most Igbo hating group on planet earth!!

How many Igbos and people of south south people bear English names and does that make them English people, I guess former president Godluck Jonathan must be an English man.

I also guess the following Agbor names are Igbo names.

1. Ovia

2. Obaze

3. Obaigbena

4. Igunbor

6. Ogbemudien

And the Agbor traditional title Dein is an Igbo title.

Far more people in Agbor have Benin names compared to people of Edo North in Edo state, it doesn't makes them less of the descendants of the old empire.

Benin empire was a conglomerate of various people, tribes and languages just as Nigeria comprises of various tribes but all Nigeria. The same way the people that call themselves Igbo of today have various dialects.

Benin empire didn't force its subjects to speak one general language.

In your ignorant mind, Benin empire equates to Benin City. Even inside Benin city of today, not all Benin people bear Benin names.

Long before your anthropologists was born, a freed Igbo slave, Oluadah Equiano who is probably the first writer of Nigeria descent, wrote in 1776 that his Anambra native land was under the kingdom of Benin and the Oba of Benin was their overlord. You can now see that Benin empire didn't mean Benin City.

1n 1920 people of Onitsha and Anioma told your anthropologists the same thing.

1970 Nnamdi Azikiwe said the same thing.

In 2020 there are people in that area and beyond still claiming Benin. What more evidence do you require.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 1:28am On Apr 30, 2020
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by RedboneSmith(m): 3:03am On Apr 30, 2020
samuk:

I wasn't referring to you but the so called anthropologists and those feeding on their nonsense. The people clearly told them their oral history and who was their overlord, it's not in place of the writer to doubt the people's history.

After the British sacked Benin in 1897, they went all out to diminished the influence of Benin across the region. Even after the monarchy was restored, the British discouraged traditional rulers that w 2ere part of old Benin empire from paying homage to the new Oba of Benin.

Today, there are traditional rulers in Anioma and across south south that still claim Benin ancestry over 120 years after the empire ended. Benin is not the one claiming these people, but we will not reject but acknowledge them. Benin ancestry is not the monopoly of those that live in Benin alone.

In the screenshot you posted, it wasn't the people that said they weren't from Benin, it was the anthropologists that said he couldn't find the basis for the people's claim to Benin or you didn't read it before you posted it. You submission said there was an annual message being sent between the Anioma/Onitsha and Benin until around 1840.

Okay. Any comment on what Azikiwe himself wrote in 1930?

Mind you, the tradition that Ezechime came from near Benin, but not from Benin itself, persists till today in some Umuezechime towns. Obomkpa, for example, will tell you that he came from a kingdom called Ogidi which was destroyed by Benin.

What I've been trying to let you understand is that there are other traditions that contradict the Benin-emigration account, and if we want to be objective students of history, we should take those traditions too into account and not simply focus on the one that has gained popularity.

We should also ask such questions as: Why did a Benin man have a name like Chima? Why did a Benin man leave Benin with an Ufie? Benin people have no Ufie. Ufie is an Igbo thing.

Today, Benin scholars are countering the story that brass-casting was introduced from Ife. Despite the fact that there are centuries-old recorded traditions that the craft came from Ife. They point out, for example, that Iguegha is not a Yoruba name. I think other historians working in other fields ahould be afforded the same leeway to question traditions that are questionable.

Traditions are not sacrosant. If they were there wouldn't be more than one version the same story. Yet we find various versions existing side by side. Anyone attempting to reconstruct the past from these oral traditions must place all the versions side by side and criticise them, applying logic where it should.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 9:03am On Apr 30, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Okay. Any comment on what Azikiwe himself wrote in 1930?

Mind you, the tradition that Ezechime came from near Benin, but not from Benin itself, persists till today in some Umuezechime towns. Obomkpa, for example, will tell you that he came from a kingdom called Ogidi which was destroyed by Benin.

What I've been trying to let you understand is that there are other traditions that contradict the Benin-emigration account, and if we want to be objective students of history, we should take those traditions too into account and not simply focus on the one that has gained popularity.

We should also ask such questions as: Why did a Benin man have a name like Chima? Why did a Benin man leave Benin with an Ufie? Benin people have no Ufie. Ufie is an Igbo thing.

Today, Benin scholars are countering the story that brass-casting was introduced from Ife. Despite the fact that there are [b]centuries-old recorded traditions that the craft came from Ife. [/b]They point out, for example, that Iguegha is not a Yoruba name. I think other historians working in other fields ahould be afforded the same leeway to question traditions that are questionable.

Traditions are not sacrosant. If they were there wouldn't be more than one version the same story. Yet we find various versions existing side by side. Anyone attempting to reconstruct the past from these oral traditions must place all the versions side by side and criticise them, applying logic where it should.

To answered your question about why will a Benin bears Chime.

I already told you that there are Benin people in today Benin city that neither bear Benin names or even speak Benin language and that doesn't deny them of Benin ancestry.

To your second question of alternative history that disproved the Benin oral history of some of these tribes.

My answers to that in my post, is you will hardly see Benin people claiming anyone, but when any tribe traces their root to Benin we acknowledge them.

As to your claim that there was centuries old tradition of Benin Bronze being influenced from Ife.

That is a big fact lie, there is no centuries old tradition of Benin art coming from Ife. Show me any written accounts that says so before the end of Benin empire in 1897. All the fabrications some of you are regurgitating as Benin history started after 1897.

There is nothing written, recorded and documented about Benin/Ife for the first 500 years of Benin history.

The current Benin/Ife history was written in 1930, but Benin/Lagos relationship was documented as far back as 1603.

The Igbos are having the same problem as the Yorubas. There was no such thing as a unified Igbo ethnicity or the word Igbo until recently. There are still people in Anioma that denies being Igbo. The Dein of Agbor being one of them. He even changed his title from Obi to Dein.

There are people in Rivers state that doesn't see themselves as Igbo.

Igbo is a political creation to bring various independent tribes together under one umbrella called Igbo.

You don't force your Igboness on people that are not comfortable with it. We are on this thread debating because the Dein of Agbor is not happy that his people culture is being Igbonised.

Benin doesn't force itself on people by fire by force, you guys should learn the same thing, that it's not by force to be Igbo.

You asked about what Zik wrote, who am I to say Zik lied, why would Zik lie about his history, what was he going to gain by claiming Benin ancestry.

I also reference another Anambra man Olaudah Equiano that wrote and described himself as the subject of Benin in 1776.

Benin empire is not the same as Benin city, Benin empire comprises of various tribes. A unified language was not imposed on the subject the way the Igbos are forcing and blackmailing everyone from Anioma to Ekpeye and Ikwerre in Rivers to become Igbo. I doubt if the average Igbo man from Okar understand most of Ika dialects.

Long before the words Yoruba and Igbo were coined, there was Benin. Benin empire also had people from various tribes the way current Igbo and Yoruba comprises of various tribes today. If Benin had forced the various tribes within it's influence to speak Benin, you all and most tribes in today's south south would have been speaking and answering Benin names.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by RedboneSmith(m): 9:29am On Apr 30, 2020
samuk:

To answered your question about why will a Benin bears Chime.

I already told you that there are Benin people in today Benin city that neither bear Benin names or even speak Benin language and that doesn't deny them of Benin ancestry.

To your second question of alternative history that disproved and tribe Benin oral history.

My answers to that in my post, is you will hardly see Benin people claiming anyone, but when any tribe traces their root to Benin we acknowledge them.

As to your claim that there was centuries old tradition of Benin Bronze being influenced from Ife.

That is a big fact lie, there is no centuries old tradition of Benin art coming from Ife. Show me any written accounts that says so before the end of Benin empire in 1897. All the fabrications some of you are regurgitating as Benin history started after 1897.

There is nothing written, recorded and documented about Benin/Ife for the first 500 years of Benin history.

The current Benin/Ife history was written in 1930, but Benin/Lagos relationship was documented as far back as 1603.

The Igbos are having the same problem as the Yorubas. There was no such thing as a unified Igbo ethnicity or the word Igbo until recently. There are still people in Anioma that denies being Igbo. The Dein of Agbor being one of them. He even changed his title from Obi to Dein.

There are people in Rivers state that doesn't see themselves as Igbo.

Igbo is a political creation to bring various independent tribes together under one umbrella called Igbo.

You don't force your Igboness on people that are not comfortable with it. We are on this thread debating because the Dein of Agbor is not happy that his people culture is being Igbonised.

Benin doesn't force itself on people by fire by force, you guys should learn the same thing, that it's not by force to be Igbo.

You asked about what Zik wrote, who am I to say Zik lied, why would Zik lie about his history, what was he going to gain by claiming Benin ancestry.

I also reference another Anambra man Olaudah Equiano that wrote and described himself as the subject of Benin in 1776.

Benin empire is not the same as Benin city, Benin empire comprises of various tribes. A unified language was not imposed on the subject the way the Igbos are forcing and blackmailing everyone from Anioma to Ekpeye and Ikwerre in Rivers to become Igbo. I doubt if the average Igbo man from Okar understand must Ika dialects.

Long before the words Yoruba and Igbo were coined, there was Benin. Benin empire also had people from various tribes the way current Igbo and Yoruba comprises of various tribes today. If Benin had forced the various tribes within it's influence to speak Benin, you all and must tribes in today's south south would have been speaking and answering Benin names.

I was not even talking about whether Anioma should be Igbo or not, but about the variety within oral traditions.

This is a very deflective response. But it's okay.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 9:36am On Apr 30, 2020
RedboneSmith:

I was not even talking about whether Anioma should be Igbo or not, but about the variety within oral traditions.

This is a very deflective response. But it's okay.

The variety within Ora tradition should be respected, I have consistently say this.

If a man from Agbor says he is from Nri, it shouldn't be in our place to say he is lying because we don't like what he said. Likewise if a man from Onitsha says his ancestors were from Benin, we should also respect that man's history and not try to rewrite his history for him.

We shouldn't be telling people who they should be. You can't force me to be a Yoruba person when I don't see myself as one, I have to be comfortable with it. Same way I will not force anyone to be Benin or Igbo if they are not comfortable with it.

We must respect and allow people to be what they want to be. If the Dein of Agbor is not comfortable being Igbo we should respect that and allow him to be who he and his people want to be.

Anytime an Anioma or Rivers person say they are not Igbo, you guys equates that to mean they are claiming Benin, even without the people saying so.

The tribes that made up old Benin empire were allowed to maintain near total independence, independence that some of them would like to still maintain if they have to be part of the new kid on the block, the Igbo nation. These tribes are only resisting being called Igbo because of the fear of totaling losing their languages and cultures to the larger Igbo, which didn't happen in the past when Benin was in charged, even with guns blazing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by IDENNAA(m): 12:48pm On May 02, 2020
samuk:

How many Igbos and people of south south people bear English names and does that make them English people, I guess former president Godluck Jonathan must be an English man.

I also guess the following Agbor names are Igbo names.

1. Ovia

2. Obaze

3. Obaigbena

4. Igunbor

6. Ogbemudien

And the Agbor traditional title Dein is an Igbo title.

Far more people in Agbor have Benin names compared to people of Edo North in Edo state, it doesn't makes them less of the descendants of the old empire.

Benin empire was a conglomerate of various people, tribes and languages just as Nigeria comprises of various tribes but all Nigeria. The same way the people that call themselves Igbo of today have various dialects.

Benin empire didn't force its subjects to speak one general language.

In your ignorant mind, Benin empire equates to Benin City. Even inside Benin city of today, not all Benin people bear Benin names.

Long before your anthropologists was born, a freed Igbo slave, Oluadah Equiano who is probably the first writer of Nigeria descent, wrote in 1776 that his Anambra native land was under the kingdom of Benin and the Oba of Benin was their overlord. You can now see that Benin empire didn't mean Benin City.

1n 1920 people of Onitsha and Anioma told your anthropologists the same thing.

1970 Nnamdi Azikiwe said the same thing.

In 2020 there are people in that area and beyond still claiming Benin. What more evidence do you require.

Your example of Igbo or people of south south bearing English name doesn’t hold water because English were invaders who literally imposed their culture on these people. On the other hand , the whole Ezechima clan never for one day spoke a word of Bini. You are beginning to sound pathetic with your lame comparisons. We are not invaders or empire builders, you are the one running around and terrorizing and killing Ezechima people. They left the vicinity of Bini because of war and arrived in my fathers land. We took them and cleaned them up and blessed them with our culture.

Agbor , indeed has a sizable Bini migrants but its eternerlly Igbo despite the Bini influence....when two cultures meet we will know who be oga. Ask Dein of Agbor to practice what he preach and change his name to non Igbo. At the end you can never claim Agbor because they are beginning to master Anioma central Igbo.....hahaha

Language and not name is the most important factor used to determine origin. Wouldn’t you agree

Olaudah Equanor left a child in a time the whole southern Nigeria was a thick rain forest. There were many inconsistencies with his book. If Onicha or anybody claim they are Bini then prove it , simply.

You can’t win this: all facts are squarely against you. If you claim you have found a medicine that could cure a certain disease you must prove it. The British anthropologist proved his knowledge with undeniable facts.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 7:21pm On May 02, 2020
IDENNAA:

Your example of Igbo or people of south south bearing English name doesn’t hold water because English were invaders who literally imposed their culture on these people. On the other hand , the whole Ezechima clan never for one day spoke a word of Bini. You are beginning to sound pathetic with your lame comparisons. We are not invaders or empire builders, you are the one running around and terrorizing and killing Ezechima people. They left the vicinity of Bini because of war and arrived in my fathers land. We took them and cleaned them up and blessed them with our culture.

Agbor , indeed has a sizable Bini migrants but its eternerlly Igbo despite the Bini influence....when two cultures meet we will know who be oga. Ask Dein of Agbor to practice what he preach and change his name to non Igbo. At the end you can never claim Agbor because they are beginning to master Anioma central Igbo.....hahaha

Language and not name is the most important factor used to determine origin. Wouldn’t you agree

Olaudah Equanor left a child in a time the whole southern Nigeria was a thick rain forest. There were many inconsistencies with his book. If Onicha or anybody claim they are Bini then prove it , simply.

You can’t win this: all facts are squarely against you. If you claim you have found a medicine that could cure a certain disease you must prove it. The British anthropologist proved his knowledge with undeniable facts.

you are the one running around and terrorizing and killing Ezechima people

You know what you wrote above couldn't be further from the truth and a big lie you wouldn't be able to back up.

You claimed to be from Anambra or Imo but here to start making spurious claims on behalf of Anioma Ezechima people.

If the Dein of Agbor doesn't like his people promoting Igbo culture, why is that the fault of Benin.

If it was true Benin terrorised Ezechima people, the descendants will not trace their root to Benin, Zik will not claim Ezechima people are from the Benin royal household. Why will Benin terrorise her own people.

Olaudah Equiano never said anything about Benin terrorising his people of Anambra who were not Ezechima. He wrote in 1776 that although his people were under the Benin kingdom but they were allowed to rule themselves from minimum interference from Benin City, the kingdom's capital city.

There are still tribes across Anioma that still claim Benin ancestry, why would they be claiming those that once terrorised them.

The only people Benin used military force on were those rulers and kings that were rebellious, those that fell inline, never had any troubles from Benin.

Even though it's well established that Benin had a military garrison in Lagos as far back as 1603, have you ever read anywhere that there was war between Benin and Lagos.

BRIEF HISTORY OF ISSELE-UKU

As chronicled by Prince Chris Afumata Akeh- Osu in The History of Great Isi-Ile-Uku (Issele-Uku) Kingdom

Isi-Ile-Uku, “Issele-Uku” Kingdom was founded by the Binis in about 1230 AD by Oba Eweka 1 of Benin Empire and first Ogie of the kingdom was Prince Uwadiaie who was the second son of Oba Eweka 1.

The original name of the new kingdom carved out of Benin Empire “Isi-Ile-Uku” signifies relationship with the Benis and Oba of Benin-City ‘Uku akpolokpolo Omonoba n’edo’.

When Oba Eweka 1 created the new Benin outpost of Isi-Ile-Uku now pronounced Issele-Uku, his main objectives was to check and stop the influx of the movement of people from East of the River Niger, and people from Igala land into the Edo land West of the River Niger, for farming and fishing operations. Also to use Isi-Ile-Uku, the new outpost and kingdom, as a defensive outpost to the Benin Empire and moreover for expansion purposes.

Prince Uwadiaie, the second son of Oba Eweka 1, was crowned Ogie ‘King’ by his father Oba Eweka1 of Benin Empire about 1230 A.D. and sent to rule the Bini new kingdom of ISI-ILE-UKU in company of a group of Binis, worriors, administrators, chiefs and other princes of the royal family of Benin from Ogbe, Ehaekpen, Idumu Inaleibiwe, idumu Igun, Idumu Iken, Idumu Isama and Idumu Ugboka. Members of the royal family of Benin were settled at Ehaekpen of Issele-Uku.

These Bini quarters – Ogbe and Idumu are now called Isheakpe, Ogbidibo, Idumu-Inele Ebigwe, Idumu Uzu, Idumu Ikem, Idumu Ozoma, Idumu Onishe, Idumu Ihama, Idumu Isama and Idumu Edemoka “Umu edomoka” at Ogboli. The present language of the people of Issele-Uku has changed slightly the original pronounciations.

The Oba of Benin in the days of old had real suzerainty over the kingdom of ISI-ILE-UKU. The new kingdom of ISI-ILE-UKU was gladly hailed in Benin then as an Eastern extension of Benin empire. In fact, the kings of ISI-ILE-UKU have paraphernalia and relics of kingly office as the Oba of Benin and performs the same yearly festival – Ugie ro ‘Oba – “Uje ine Aho Obi” at Issele-Uku.

The kings of ISI-ILE-UKU “ISSELE-UKU” are the true representatives of the Oba of Benin in the area lying to the West of the River Niger and as such the Obi “king” of Issele-Uku has a position of authority as the oba’s authentic representative in the Eastern extremeties of the great Benin Empire

The custom and tradition of Benin is the same at Issele-Uku and the influence of Bini language can be noticed or traced in the Ika-Ibo language of the people of ISI-ILE-UKU “ISSELE-UKU”.

The Oba of Benin continues to crown the Obis of Issele-Uku until presently when he sends Chiefs to officiate for him on the crowning of any new Obi “king” of ISI-ILE-UKU “ISSELE-UKU”. Although the Ika-Ibo Language predominates at Issele-Uku nowadays and it was due mainly to the fact that there were more interactions with the later Ibo founded towns around Issele-Uku than Benin-City which is situated a long distance away

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 02, 2020
samuk:

you are the one running around and terrorizing and killing Ezechima people

You know what you wrote above couldn't be further from the truth and a big lie you wouldn't be able to back up.

You claimed to be from Anambra of Imo but here to start making spurious claims on behalf of Anioma Ezechima people.

If the Dein of Agbor doesn't like his people promoting Igbo culture, why is that the fault of Benin.

If it was true Benin terrorised Ezechima people, the descendants will not trace their root to Benin, Zik will not claim Ezechima people are from the Benin royal household. Why will Benin terrorise her own people.

Olaudah Equiano never said anything about Benin terrorising his people of Anambra who were not Ezechima. He wrote in 1776 that although his people were under the Benin kingdom but they were allowed to rule themselves from minimum interference from Benin City, the kingdom's capital city.

There are still tribes across Anioma that still claim Benin ancestry, why would they be claiming those that once terrorised them.

The only people Benin used military force on were those rulers and kings that rebellious, those that fell inline, never had any troubles from Benin.

Even though it's well established that Benin had a military garrison in Lagos as far back as 1603, have you ever read anywhere that there was war between Benin and Lagos.

BRIEF HISTORY OF ISSELE-UKU

As chronicled by Prince Chris Afumata Akeh- Osu in The History of Great Isi-Ile-Uku (Issele-Uku) Kingdom

Isi-Ile-Uku, “Issele-Uku” Kingdom was founded by the Binis in about 1230 AD by Oba Eweka 1 of Benin Empire and first Ogie of the kingdom was Prince Uwadiaie who was the second son of Oba Eweka 1.

The original name of the new kingdom carved out of Benin Empire “Isi-Ile-Uku” signifies relationship with the Benis and Oba of Benin-City ‘Uku akpolokpolo Omonoba n’edo’.

When Oba Eweka 1 created the new Benin outpost of Isi-Ile-Uku now pronounced Issele-Uku, his main objectives was to check and stop the influx of the movement of people from East of the River Niger, and people from Igala land into the Edo land West of the River Niger, for farming and fishing operations. Also to use Isi-Ile-Uku, the new outpost and kingdom, as a defensive outpost to the Benin Empire and moreover for expansion purposes.

Prince Uwadiaie, the second son of Oba Eweka 1, was crowned Ogie ‘King’ by his father Oba Eweka1 of Benin Empire about 1230 A.D. and sent to rule the Bini new kingdom of ISI-ILE-UKU in company of a group of Binis, worriors, administrators, chiefs and other princes of the royal family of Benin from Ogbe, Ehaekpen, Idumu Inaleibiwe, idumu Igun, Idumu Iken, Idumu Isama and Idumu Ugboka. Members of the royal family of Benin were settled at Ehaekpen of Issele-Uku.

These Bini quarters – Ogbe and Idumu are now called Isheakpe, Ogbidibo, Idumu-Inele Ebigwe, Idumu Uzu, Idumu Ikem, Idumu Ozoma, Idumu Onishe, Idumu Ihama, Idumu Isama and Idumu Edemoka “Umu edomoka” at Ogboli. The present language of the people of Issele-Uku has changed slightly the original pronounciations.

The Oba of Benin in the days of old had real suzerainty over the kingdom of ISI-ILE-UKU. The new kingdom of ISI-ILE-UKU was gladly hailed in Benin then as an Eastern extension of Benin empire. In fact, the kings of ISI-ILE-UKU have paraphernalia and relics of kingly office as the Oba of Benin and performs the same yearly festival – Ugie ro ‘Oba – “Uje ine Aho Obi” at Issele-Uku.

The kings of ISI-ILE-UKU “ISSELE-UKU” are the true representatives of the Oba of Benin in the area lying to the West of the River Niger and as such the Obi “king” of Issele-Uku has a position of authority as the oba’s authentic representative in the Eastern extremeties of the great Benin Empire

The custom and tradition of Benin is the same at Issele-Uku and the influence of Bini language can be noticed or traced in the Ika-Ibo language of the people of ISI-ILE-UKU “ISSELE-UKU”.

The Oba of Benin continues to crown the Obis of Issele-Uku until presently when he sends Chiefs to officiate for him on the crowning of any new Obi “king” of ISI-ILE-UKU “ISSELE-UKU”. Although the Ika-Ibo Language predominates at Issele-Uku nowadays and it was due mainly to the fact that there were more interactions with the later Ibo founded towns around Issele-Uku than Benin-City which is situated a long distance away

Ezechima, Issele uku and that's the defense then Bini.

Lol.

Chaiii.

people can be funny at times and this is one hell of it.

Abeg the Bini dey two or the one down there?

mtcheew.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 9:12pm On May 02, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Ezechima, Issele uku and that's the defense then Bini.

Lol.

Chaiii.

people can be funny at times and this is one hell of it.

Abeg the Bini dey two or the one down there?

mtcheew.

If the defence is not enough, what about this from Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe.

Excerpt:
“One day I asked her (grandmother) the meaning of the word ‘Onitsha’. She explained that it had historical significance. The terminology meant one who despised another. It is a contraction of two words, Onini to despise, and Ncha meaning others. So that the two words when joined together mean one who despises others. Then I asked her why we despised others. She patted me on the back and told me that it was due to our aristocratic background and tradition. I insisted that she should explain to me the basis of this supercilious social attitude. She told me that we despised others because we descended from the Royal House of Benin and so regarded ourselves as the superiors of other tribes who had no royal blood in their veins, “
“I continued to belabor my grandmother to tell me more of the history and origins of the Onitsha people. She narrated that many many years ago, there lived at Idu (Benin) a great Oba who had many children. Due to a power struggle regarding the right of precedence among princes of the blood and other altercations, there was a civil war in Benin. One day, the supporters of one of the princes insulted and assaulted Queen Asije, the mother of of the Oba of Benin, who was accused of having trespassed on their farmland. Enraged at this evidence of indiscipline and lawlessness, the Oba ordered his war chief and brother, Gbunwala Asije to apprehend and punish the insurgents. In the attempt to penalise them, Chima, the ultimate founder of the Onitsha city-state, a prince of the blood in his own right, led the recalcitrants against his Uncle, Gbunwala. This intensified the civil war which rent the kingdom of Benin in two and led to the founding of Onitsha Ado N’Idu, , ” “As the great trek from Benin progressed, some did not have the stout heart of the pioneer-warrior, and decided to settle at different places, known today as Onitsha -Ugbo, Onitsha-Olona, Onitsha-Mili, Obior, Issele Ukwu, Ossomari, Aboh, etc,
” SOURCE – Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) “My
Genealogy and Nativity” p 11 – 12
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 02, 2020
samuk:

If the defence is not enough, what about this from Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe.

And you still believe that Benin was terrorising her people and the people are all still very happy to identify with Benin.

Excerpt:
“One day I asked her (grandmother) the meaning of the word ‘Onitsha’. She explained that it had historical significance. The terminology meant one who despised another. It is a contraction of two words, Onini to despise, and Ncha meaning others. So that the two words when joined together mean one who despises others. Then I asked her why we despised others. She patted me on the back and told me that it was due to our aristocratic background and tradition. I insisted that she should explain to me the basis of this supercilious social attitude. She told me that we despised others because we descended from the Royal House of Benin and so regarded ourselves as the superiors of other tribes who had no royal blood in their veins, “
“I continued to belabor my grandmother to tell me more of the history and origins of the Onitsha people. She narrated that many many years ago, there lived at Idu (Benin) a great Oba who had many children. Due to a power struggle regarding the right of precedence among princes of the blood and other altercations, there was a civil war in Benin. One day, the supporters of one of the princes insulted and assaulted Queen Asije, the mother of of the Oba of Benin, who was accused of having trespassed on their farmland. Enraged at this evidence of indiscipline and lawlessness, the Oba ordered his war chief and brother, Gbunwala Asije to apprehend and punish the insurgents. In the attempt to penalise them, Chima, the ultimate founder of the Onitsha city-state, a prince of the blood in his own right, led the recalcitrants against his Uncle, Gbunwala. This intensified the civil war which rent the kingdom of Benin in two and led to the founding of Onitsha Ado N’Idu, , ” “As the great trek from Benin progressed, some did not have the stout heart of the pioneer-warrior, and decided to settle at different places, known today as Onitsha -Ugbo, Onitsha-Olona, Onitsha-Mili, Obior, Issele Ukwu, Ossomari, Aboh, etc,
” SOURCE – Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) “My
Genealogy and Nativity” p 11 – 12

Is that all.

I am just laughing here.

Any other article so we can read as usual.

LMAO.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 9:21pm On May 02, 2020
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 9:22pm On May 02, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Is that all.

I am just laughing here.

Any other article so we can read as usual.

LMAO.

You still believe that Benin was terrorising her people and the people are all still very happy to identify with Benin. The Dein of Agbor said his people should stop promoting Igbo culture, Zik traces the history of Onitsha to Benin and Issele uku and numerous other Anioma people traces their root back to Benin. I don't see why the Igbo east should have any problems with this. Mind you it's not Benin that are making all these claims or forcing these people to claim Benin root. But some of you just can't respect and allow people to be who they want to be.

Which other Anioma tribe do you want to know their history.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 02, 2020
samuk:

You still believe that Benin was terrorising her people and the people are all still very happy to identify with Benin. The Dein of Agbor said his people should stop promoting Igbo culture, Zik traces the history of Onitsha to Benin and Issele uku and numerous other Anioma people traces their root back to Benin. I don't see why the Igbo east should have any problems with this. Mind you it's not Benin that are making all these claims or forcing these people to claim Benin root. But some of you just can't respect and allow people to be who they want to be.

Which other Anioma tribe do you want to know their history.

Lol

More and more continue writing then after go and change their names and culture to Obaseki and una oba name

Lol.

Seriously people are funny in this life aswear.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 9:37pm On May 02, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Lol

More and more continue writing then after go and change their names and culture to Obaseki and una oba name

Lol.

Seriously people are funny in this life aswear.

So I have been wasting my time with you, I never knew you were even this ignorant about history, for your information, the Obaseki family are from Anioma.

Chief Agho Obaseki (died September 9, 1920) was a paramount Chief in the Benin Empire from 1898 to 1914, and then Iyase of Benin from 1914 until his death in 1920.[1]

Background Edit
Agho was the last of his father, Ogbeide's children. Ogbeide held the Bini Ine title under Oba Adolo. He was originally from Agbor. The Ine was the head of the palace society of Ibiwe and was responsible for raising the heir apparent and princes.[2] When he was about 25 years old, he got into some trouble in the village of Iguovinyoba, when he was entangled with a married woman. He thereafter left for Benin City to start a new life and there he met Crown Prince Idugbowa, later Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi who took Agho under protection and a friendship between the two men ensued. A young Agho became a trader for Prince Idugbowa.[1]
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 02, 2020
samuk:

So I have been wasting my time with you, I never knew you were even this ignorant about history, for your information, the Obaseki family are from Anioma.

Chief Agho Obaseki (died September 9, 1920) was a paramount Chief in the Benin Empire from 1898 to 1914, and then Iyase of Benin from 1914 until his death in 1920.[1]

Background Edit
Agho was the last of his father, Ogbeide's children. Ogbeide held the Bini Ine title under Oba Adolo. He was originally from Agbor. The Ine was the head of the palace society of Ibiwe and was responsible for raising the heir apparent and princes.[2] When he was about 25 years old, he got into some trouble in the village of Iguovinyoba, when he was entangled with a married woman. He thereafter left for Benin City to start a new life and there he met Crown Prince Idugbowa, later Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi who took Agho under protection and a friendship between the two men ensued. A young Agho became a trader for Prince Idugbowa.[1]

LMAO

Bro all these are fairly tales though funny and appealing to read buy Bini and Igbos are way damn two different people.

You just funny on how serious u are writing all this and to me it is just funny and fun..

Igbos and Bini are two different people way apart .

Nothing is similar to be compared at all.

Check tribes that has similar names with you people probably Yorubas and compare all these there will be positive results.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 9:52pm On May 02, 2020
Juliusmalema:

LMAO

Bro all these are fairly tales though funny and appealing to read buy Bini and Igbos are way damn two different people.

You just funny on how serious u are writing all this and to me it is just funny and fun..

Igbos and Bini are two different people way apart .

Nothing is similar to be compared at all.

Check tribes that has similar names with you people probably Yorubas and compare all these there will be positive results.

Your advice should be for the people you are trying to shove your igboness down their throat. I repeat, it's not Benin people making these claims but the people themselves and for some reasons best known to you, you will simply not allow the people to be what they want to be.

Maybe you take your advice to the Palace of Dein of Agbor and Obi of Issele-uku and lecture them on their Igboness. It's possible you know something they don't know.
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 02, 2020
samuk:

Your advice should be for the people you are trying to shove your igboness down their throat. I repeat, it's not Benin people making these claims but the people themselves and for some reasons best known to you, you will simply not allow the people to be what they want to be.

Maybe you take your advice to the Palace of Dein of Agbor and Obi of Issele-uku and lecture them on their Igboness. It's possible you know something they don't know.

I have heard you. LMAO

He even mentioned Obi isselu uku and still saying people are shoving Igboness to them.

Are you this funny man?

Just asking.lol

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 10:03pm On May 02, 2020
Juliusmalema:

I have heard you. LMAO

He even mentioned Obi isselu uku and still saying people are shoving Igboness to them.

Are you this funny man?

Just asking.lol

I know you are probably thinking Obi is Igbo title, don't forget the popular saying in Igbo is "Igbo enwe eze", which translates to "the Igbo have no king

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 02, 2020
samuk:

I know you are probably thinking Obi is Igbo title, don't forget the popular saying in Igbo is "Igbo enwe eze", which translates to "the Igbo have no king

Mr I am not thinking anything ooo.

Na u go tell me igbo proverb and how what it means.

Continue wasting your energy.

Funny mortals everywhere.Lol

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by IDENNAA(m): 10:45pm On May 02, 2020
samuk:

Bros , please don’t delve into what you know little about. Anioma weren’t the only ones with Obi title. Nnewi in Anambra has Obi from precolonial time. Contrary to your understanding of Igbo enweze saying....Igbo proverbs are not interpreted in the literal. It means no man dictates to the Igbo like you Bini that see your Oba as a god. Igbos will dethroned any king because oramelueze.

You need to understand that Igbo operates a version of democratic system. We also operate a noble institution, in the Nze na Ozo who are like the lords of the land. Bros, you don’t understand the Igbo man, neither do you want to humble yourself and learn.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by AreaFada2: 11:26pm On May 02, 2020
samuk:

Samuk, they said Zik knew nothing. That they know far more than Zik's grandmother. A woman probably born around 1840, time of Oba Osemwende. When Lagos was still under Benin control. About 22 years after sacking of Akure in 1818 and beheading of Deji Arakale for refusing Oba's traditional confirmation instrument/chalk of his Dejiship, and killing of Oba's emissary Osague. These are stories that would have been told around the whole empire back then.

Then they also say the writings of Olaudah equiano are not true. An eye witness and victim of slavery.

The issue is that Benin people have been very modest, though sanguine about our history despite the marginalisation began by the British. But Benin public seem not too much aware of the grand conspiracy of larger tribes to rewrite history using population politics.

People travel through Benin from East to Lagos/SW and from SW to East and feel "oh, Benin City is not that big, it couldn't have been as powerful as people claim". If you go by that logic, Timbuktu is still full of mud houses. We would also conclude that it didn't have those universities and scholars from Middle East and beyond as claimed.

People have made up their mind that what we now called "minorities" should be absorbed. Their history should be denigrated and relegated until people actually believe so. No first hand account you will give will suffice. They will rather find some dubious publications to copy and paste.

Even within a tribe, people may not even agree on exact history, but at least evidence gives us some consensus.

But tribalism runs very deep. The previous generations did a bad job of poisoning the youth's mind. Especially due to tough economic problems over the past 50 years and failure to learn from the Civil War of 1967-70.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 7:18am On May 03, 2020
IDENNAA:

Bros , please don’t delve into what you know little about. Anioma weren’t the only ones with Obi title. Nnewi in Anambra has Obi from precolonial time. Contrary to your understanding of Igbo enweze saying....Igbo proverbs are not interpreted in the literal. It means no man dictates to the Igbo like you Bini that see your Oba as a god. Igbos will dethroned any king because oramelueze.

You need to understand that Igbo operates a version of democratic system. We also operate a noble institution, in the Nze na Ozo who are like the lords of the land. Bros, you don’t understand the Igbo man, neither do you want to humble yourself and learn.

You shouldn't have given him the benefit of such explanation.

I laughed when he wrote such with the attached explanation and that shows how Ignorant and desperate one can be.

All these Bini theories are just fabricated and whenever you try to follow such stories up, it breaks loosely and easily on the way.

Before the white man stepped foot in Igboland, many towns already has kings but there is no need engaging people with pathetic histories of non existent scenario.

Anyone interpreting Igbo proverbs straight will miss road. The words are deep rooted send tactical.

His explanation of Igbo enwe really shows he knows nothing.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 7:23am On May 03, 2020
AreaFada2:

Samuk, they said Zik knew nothing. That they know far more than Zik's grandmother. A woman probably born around 1840, time of Oba Osemwende. When Lagos was still under Benin control. About 22 years after sacking of Akure in 1818 and beheading of Deji Arakale for refusing Oba's traditional confirmation instrument/chalk of his Dejiship, and killing of Oba's emissary Osague. These are stories that would have been told around the whole empire back then.

Then they also say the writings of Olaudah equiano are not true. An eye witness and victim of slavery.

The issue is that Benin people have been very modest, though sanguine about our history despite the marginalisation began by the British. But Benin public seem not too much aware of the grand conspiracy of larger tribes to rewrite history using population politics.

People travel through Benin from East to Lagos/SW and from SW to East and feel "oh, Benin City is not that big, it couldn't have been as powerful as people claim". If you go by that, Timbuktu is still full of mud houses. We would also conclude that it didn't have those universities and scholars from Middle East and beyond as claimed.

People have made up their mind that what we now called "minorities" should be absorbed. Their history should be denigrated and relegated until people actually believe so. No first hand account you will give will suffice. They will rather find some dubious publications to copy and paste.
Even within a tribe, people may not agree even agree on exact history, but at least evidence give us some consensus.

But tribalism runs very deep. They previous generations deep a bad job of poisoning the youth's mind. Especially due to tough economic problems over the past 50 years and failure to learn from the Civil War of 1967-70.

Just remove Igbo out of the useless logic.
Tell me one thing that can be compared with Bini and an Igbo man. Nothing.

Bini and Igbo has no history because it breaks easily with no link unlike Bini and SW that the ties and history are so strong that it can be dragged for so long.

The samuk finished himself and shot himself von the leg by using Igbo enwe Eze which proves Immediately that he is desperate and doesn't understand what he quoted.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by AreaFada2: 8:22am On May 03, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Just remove Igbo out of the useless logic.
Tell me one thing that can be compared with Bini and an Igbo man. Nothing.

Bini and Igbo has no history because it breaks easily with no link unlike Bini and SW that the ties and history are so strong that it can be dragged for so long.

The samuk finished himself and shot himself von the leg by using Igbo enwe Eze which proves Immediately that he is desperate and doesn't understand what he quoted.
Who says Benin wants anything to do with the general Igbo? But those parts that are now considered part of wider Igbo that trace their origins to Benin, nobody has any right to deny them their history. Not you. Not me.
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by AreaFada2: 9:12am On May 03, 2020
Juliusmalema:

History Indeed or fabrications?

History of how many years with no strong backing and can't even stand any slightest scrutiny.

More I like I will go to one town in Bini and said they migrated from Abia state. Then they left Abia to Bini and that's their ancestry.

Some things ain't worth even discussing at all and one of them is this Illogical fabrications called logic.

Trace Indeed. Look at yourself and see how you guys sound most of the times.

Where the binis them come from? grin

Mtcheew.
Lol. What did Zik's grandmother have to gain by fabricating Benin origin over 100 years ago?
What did Zik have to gain by writing it in his book in 1970?
Nothing but simply to say the truth as they knew it. People of that generation were a million times more honest and truth seeking than the bitter and tribalistic ones we have today. grin
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 9:15am On May 03, 2020
AreaFada2:

Who says Benin wants anything to do with the general Igbo, but those parts that are now consired part of wider Igbo that trace their origins to Benin, nobody has any right to deny them their history. Not you. Not me.

This was the danger the Dein of Agbor saw and he is doing everything possible to discourage Igbo culture. Imagine someone coming from Abia or Imo to tell the Dein of Agbor that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

The traits of the Igbos is to come to your land and try to dominate everybody. The reason the Sardauna of Sokoto refused them job opportunities in the northern region of early 1960s, he preferred white expatriates and other Nigerians linstead.

You can now see the reason the Anioma opted to be part of mid west region and south south rather than being part of the south east.

This is the same way they are forcing Ikwerre, Ekpeye and others in Rivers state to become Igbo. Both in Anioma and Rivers, the people are fighting back.

Unlike the Yorubas, Igbo unification project seems to be having far more problems from the south southerners they are trying to forcibly annexed.

When look at the attitude of some of these people, you begin to appreciate Sani Abacha for putting the final nail on their expansion in the south by creating the South south. Should Nigeria be restructured in the future, Biafra will not go beyond the current 5 states of south east.

If you guys think, the people you are claiming in Rivers and Delta will foolishly give up their freedom to become second class Igbo in Biafra, you most be dreaming.

The people of south south cherished their independence.

This is how the Sarduana described the Igbos in the first republic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6coimsqIyw
Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 9:17am On May 03, 2020
AreaFada2:

Lol. What did Zik's grandmother have to gain by fabricating Benin origin over 100 years ago?
What did Zik have to gain by writing it in his book in 1970?
Nothing but simply to say the truth as they knew it. People of that generation were a million times more honest and truth seeking than the bitter and tribalistic ones we have today. grin

Zik Zik Zik and still an Igbo woman and igbo man you are still mentioning.

Seriously you Bini guys has lost the remaining credibility to any of these Government.

There is nothing , I mean nothing to link Bini and Igbo tale. The bulk stops at fabrications.

1 Like

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by samuk: 9:20am On May 03, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Zik Zik Zik and still an Igbo woman and igbo man you are still mentioning.

Seriously you Bini guys has lost the remaining credibility to any of these Government.

There is nothing , I mean nothing to link Bini and Igbo tale. The bulk stops at fabrications.

Benin have nothing to do with south east, just let south southerners be who they want to be. You can't come to south south and want to dominate the people.

It was this same altitude of the Igbo trying to greedily appropriate everything for themselves that partly lead to the Nigeria civil way and you guys losing your top position in Nigeria.

After your boys killed the Sarduana and other top Northerners to have their way to every section of Nigeria, Ironsi, changed the regional system of government to the current unitary system and the Igbo quickly moved to the North, asked all the expatriates to leave their jobs and they took the jobs for themselves.

The North had no choice but to fight back, till now the North is still very suspicious of the Igbo man, will anyone really blame them.

Re: Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor by Nobody: 9:25am On May 03, 2020
samuk:

Benin have nothing to do with south east, just let south southern be who they want to be. You can't come to south south and want to dominate the people.

Stories from people looking for where to crutch.

They know who they are. Stop over beating yourself and losing sleeping when we are sleeping soundly.

https://www.nairaland.com/5818476/anioma-igbo-trends-twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/UcheOkoyep/status/1254411102714310657

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

History Of The Internet In Nigeria / Igbo: A Tribe Or A Nation? / Yorubas Too Are Jews - New Research

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.