Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,131 members, 7,811,195 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

"Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey (40998 Views)

Things That Can Weaken A Man's Erection By Dr Olufunmilayo / Some Labs Are Giving False HIV Results In Lagos - Doctor Olufunmilayo / Doctor Olufunmilayo: "3 Minutes Is Enough For Sex, You Don't Need Drugs At All" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by KanwuliaExtra: 2:13am On Jun 21, 2018
They are going to meet, great and treat BUHARI na?

They are very patriotic! cheesy
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by nahzyla: 2:15am On Jun 21, 2018
Nobody should fall for this scare tactics of doctors relocating, everybody wants to leave Nigeria lwkmd, not just doctors. Times are hard for many people in Nigeria. In my family sef my brother in law relocated to the UK recently and two of my cousins are also planning to relocate. Doctors can go if they want.

Goodbye.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 2:28am On Jun 21, 2018
Colourich:
I doubt, more doctors will always flood the Nigeria labour market. The demand for labour will always be below the supply for labour as far as many Nigerians see investment in human capital as a way of alleviating future poverty. So there ain't no fear.

You might want to think through your post again...
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by Kabaka100: 2:31am On Jun 21, 2018
mikaj:
This is happening.

You will be shocked how much people in the medical fields are earning in the Middle East; Dubai, Kuwait, Saudi.

Can u give me a rough estimate please
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by Kabaka100: 2:37am On Jun 21, 2018
CaptJeffry:
You're informed. US messes with foreign doctors no be small. I know many Nigerian and Philippine doctors who have given up with and have settled as Nurses.

Especially with that board exams wey dem go take like five times and still no go fit pass am. The residency issue na another wahala wey u no wan talk about
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by Nobody: 2:49am On Jun 21, 2018
missyadorable:

Sorry, I don't contact internet men.
Nothing but bunches of f****k boys
I bet you passed your bar exams after so many trials ... Lawyer's they say are 'learned' but you sound downright dumb and stupid ... Please if you can't borrow or buy a brain at least rent one and save us the embarrasment of having to deal with your stupidity each time ...

7 Likes

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by emmanuelex1(m): 3:08am On Jun 21, 2018
Please this is not news, nurses, lab scientists, engineers, accountants, farmers,etc are traveling every day, yet we keep graduating more than the number that is traveling. Please tell us something else.
oludyke:
Nigeria is in big problem” – UK-based Nigerian doctor warns
herald.ng Jun 15, 2018 11:18 AM

A UK-based Nigerian doctor, Dr Harvey Olufunmilayo, has decried the huge number of Nigerian doctors seeking greener pastures abroad.

Olufunmilayo, who practises in Leeds, said about 1,000 Nigerian doctors passed the Plab1 exam in March 2018 to enable them practice in the UK.

The Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) had in January 2018 said that there were 4,000 patients to one doctor in Nigeria, describing the trend as unacceptable.

Olufunmilayo, who took to his Twitter handle, explained that four million Nigerian patients would be denied access to a doctor should the 1,000 doctors leave Nigerian shores.

He said, “In March, about 1,500 doctors wrote the Plab1 exam to work in the UK and about 1,000 passed. In a country that 1 doctor cares for about 4,000 patients; losing 1,000 doctors means 4million Nigerians will find it harder to see a doctor. We are playing with fire as a nation.

“Remember this analysis is based solely on the March 2018 Plab Exams alone. The same exam is written twice a year in Nigeria. And with more hardship, more doctors will be writing by November 2018. And we are yet to talk of those going to other countries like USA or Canada.

“We have a big problem on our hands. There is a big fire burning and everyone is looking away thinking all is well. We largely have under-equipped hospitals with underpaid/overworked staff and overpopulated patients. Now with more health professionals’ exit, what will happen?

“Have we decided that we will wait till our hospitals turn to museums with antique outdated equipments that has no professional to utilise them for sick and dying patients before we realise the grave danger associated with this continuous exit of medical workers from the country?

“I was having a chat with a younger colleague friend preparing for the exam. She’s part of a WhatsApp group that is already full to the brim – with 256 doctors preparing to take the same exams to leave the country. And she said she knows at least 2 of such full groups. Oh Lord!

“My people, let’s be clear – doctors are working on their exit on a daily basis. This fire we are ignoring, when it burns, and it wil, no one will be spared. Even if you are rich, even if you are powerful, someone you know will fall victim of this same health sector you are destroying.

“And as I stated earlier, 1 Nigerian doctor should take care of 4000 Nigerians. Losing 1,000 doctors (based on the March 2018 Plab UK exams alone) is effectively making it extremely difficult for 4 million Nigerians to see a doctor. How are you in government and comfortable with this?

“And if you are a government official and you are thinking you have the money and/or the means to always take care of yourself or your family in some overseas country if you fall sick, then let me explain to you why that reasoning is retarded and very daft. Because sadly, it really is.

“There are medical calamities that befall a person and requires immediate intervention. If you have a sudden heart attack or a serious stroke or severe sepsis, such an emergency can’t wait for you to get on a private jet. You will be taken to the same hospitals that you ruined.

“I don’t need to mention names but many government officials have also been rushed to the same under-equipped hospitals with underpaid unmotivated staff, and those your colleagues in government died from things that could be easily prevented IF you ever paid any attention to the health sector.”

https://www.herald.ng/nigeria-is-in-big-problem-uk-based-nigerian-doctor-warns/
TN

2 Likes

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by KingTom(m): 3:10am On Jun 21, 2018
N0favors:
Kingtom hmmmm are you also planning to leave?
man's not hot brah grin
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by talk2emma: 3:13am On Jun 21, 2018
Britishcoins:
Let them go now, we have native doctors.
They will take over the mantle of health sectors.
On a serious note thanks almighty God for my health, I can't even remember when last I took injection.
Oh I remember that 21 years ago, during children immunizations.
Glory to God for my health..

Was it a native doctor that gave you the injection
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by emmanuelex1(m): 3:16am On Jun 21, 2018
If you think Nigeria is going to lack doctors, I laugh in Swahili becos Nigeria has less jobs to offer, please tell more of your doctors to leave. In fact every profession is running out of Nigeria not just doctors alone. It is only remaining our soldiers that will start traveling to serve in other countries. do
tensazangetsu20:

grin grin. How many universities in Nigeria have license to do medicine. And how many doctors are produced yearly. Our leaders don't care anyway since they receive topnotch healthcare abroad.

4 Likes

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by emmanuelex1(m): 3:25am On Jun 21, 2018
Is this one a threat or news? As if there are more jobs in Nigeria. If doctors want government to recruit them they should go straight to the point instead of putting up one sided statistics.
oludyke:
Nigeria is in big problem” – UK-based Nigerian doctor warns
herald.ng Jun 15, 2018 11:18 AM

A UK-based Nigerian doctor, Dr Harvey Olufunmilayo, has decried the huge number of Nigerian doctors seeking greener pastures abroad.

Olufunmilayo, who practises in Leeds, said about 1,000 Nigerian doctors passed the Plab1 exam in March 2018 to enable them practice in the UK.

The Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) had in January 2018 said that there were 4,000 patients to one doctor in Nigeria, describing the trend as unacceptable.

Olufunmilayo, who took to his Twitter handle, explained that four million Nigerian patients would be denied access to a doctor should the 1,000 doctors leave Nigerian shores.

He said, “In March, about 1,500 doctors wrote the Plab1 exam to work in the UK and about 1,000 passed. In a country that 1 doctor cares for about 4,000 patients; losing 1,000 doctors means 4million Nigerians will find it harder to see a doctor. We are playing with fire as a nation.

“Remember this analysis is based solely on the March 2018 Plab Exams alone. The same exam is written twice a year in Nigeria. And with more hardship, more doctors will be writing by November 2018. And we are yet to talk of those going to other countries like USA or Canada.

“We have a big problem on our hands. There is a big fire burning and everyone is looking away thinking all is well. We largely have under-equipped hospitals with underpaid/overworked staff and overpopulated patients. Now with more health professionals’ exit, what will happen?

“Have we decided that we will wait till our hospitals turn to museums with antique outdated equipments that has no professional to utilise them for sick and dying patients before we realise the grave danger associated with this continuous exit of medical workers from the country?

“I was having a chat with a younger colleague friend preparing for the exam. She’s part of a WhatsApp group that is already full to the brim – with 256 doctors preparing to take the same exams to leave the country. And she said she knows at least 2 of such full groups. Oh Lord!

“My people, let’s be clear – doctors are working on their exit on a daily basis. This fire we are ignoring, when it burns, and it wil, no one will be spared. Even if you are rich, even if you are powerful, someone you know will fall victim of this same health sector you are destroying.

“And as I stated earlier, 1 Nigerian doctor should take care of 4000 Nigerians. Losing 1,000 doctors (based on the March 2018 Plab UK exams alone) is effectively making it extremely difficult for 4 million Nigerians to see a doctor. How are you in government and comfortable with this?

“And if you are a government official and you are thinking you have the money and/or the means to always take care of yourself or your family in some overseas country if you fall sick, then let me explain to you why that reasoning is retarded and very daft. Because sadly, it really is.

“There are medical calamities that befall a person and requires immediate intervention. If you have a sudden heart attack or a serious stroke or severe sepsis, such an emergency can’t wait for you to get on a private jet. You will be taken to the same hospitals that you ruined.

“I don’t need to mention names but many government officials have also been rushed to the same under-equipped hospitals with underpaid unmotivated staff, and those your colleagues in government died from things that could be easily prevented IF you ever paid any attention to the health sector.”

https://www.herald.ng/nigeria-is-in-big-problem-uk-based-nigerian-doctor-warns/
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by Nobody: 3:26am On Jun 21, 2018
Kabaka100:

Especially with that board exams wey dem go take like five times and still no go fit pass am. The residency issue na another wahala wey u no wan talk about

When people hear US, UK them feel its heaven. Their is a joke in N.Y that the best place to have a heart attack is in a cab.

So many qualified medical doctors and surgeons are cab drivers, Canada is the most painful, they happily let you into the country but you would be shovelling sh|it forever.

5 Likes

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by aribs(m): 3:30am On Jun 21, 2018
missyadorable:
So after relocating to paradise ,you are writing epistles to discourage others from joining you.
Kolewerk!
PLAB, USMLE and other foreign exams on point.

Nigeria doesn't need medical doctors.
After all nobody even appreciates them.
Patients and other health workers including cleaners are fighting them.

I implore every medical doctor to gather resources and leave this country...
God bless you.
I am a lawyer and I am on my way out already.
See you in paradise
Are you planning to continue being a lawyer?
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by Nobody: 3:37am On Jun 21, 2018
Grupo:

In Nigeria today, almost everyone is leaving. Almost all the good tech guys I know in Lagos have left. These days, to see a good "common front end developer" is

Tech is far easier to get into, but the jobs are not as good as you think, the Indians and eastern Europeans will do a job for 60 to 70% less of the market price. The really good tech jobs are heavily racially skewed, in the states black participation is less than 5%, you either european, asian or indian. So I am not sure what kind of tech jobs these guys are doing abroad, that they cant do remotely if they are that good.

As for your frontend palava, jump on upwork and get shit done for kobos on the dollar

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by Baroba(m): 3:51am On Jun 21, 2018
UK just relaxed laws on taking in nurses and doctors from non EU countries, the problem is we are losing our experienced doctors to UK health services..I was shocked to see the number of young physios, Drs, Nurses and pharmacists working in remote parts of UK when I visited my sister.. I don't blame everyone is searching for better life for themselves and there families.. When a Register locum doctor can easily make £500 a shift, why would he hang about in Nigeria fighting with the likes of JOHESU..

3 Likes

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by adeniyisamuel59(m): 3:51am On Jun 21, 2018
Ekitiparapo:
Everyone keeps shouting doctors are leaving Nigeria for greener pastures, nurses are also leaving the country also and writing foreign professional exams like N clex, CG FNS, let's the doctor stop the foul cry, whoever wants to leave should go
Best comments ever
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by africanusvu(m): 4:02am On Jun 21, 2018
Re-phrase this to"Doctors ar in big problem as more plan to leave Nig for cab driving overseas"These doctors own don't too much

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by Jayloy: 4:13am On Jun 21, 2018
I am apologising on behalf of this stupid doctor, Olufunmilayo that wrote this article with an intent of hate in a bid to prevent his fellow doctors from practicing in a saner clime like him. If he is so patriotic why is he not in Nigeria.
I am also apologising to Nigerians who feel that doctors make too much noise about their leaving. The truth is most of us who are planning to leave don't even loud it and we are so mad at this Dr Olufunmilayo of a guy. Who send am message. Now people are thinking we are sounding like a loud bass.
Nigerians don't worry, you will have doctors to treat you and you won't notice the doctors exit as you'll have new graduate from medical schools, JOHESU members and quacks parading as doctors readily available.
And to many NHS doctors in view, let your soul rejoice as you stand a good chance of treating Buhari when he next visits. The door as been thrown wide open to more non EU doctors. Just write IELTS, PLAB 1 and PLAB 2 and Issagoal.
I'm already learning to say, "God bless the Queen"

8 Likes

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by merits(m): 4:18am On Jun 21, 2018
rentAcock:
Na so. They think it is that easy. All the gra gra of getting a visa alone will discourage many. How about my church member who was a doctor in Nigeria? The guy sold his house and traveled to the US with his family over 16 years ago, only to hear that he has given up on his dream of practicing as a medical doctor in the states and has settled for menial jobs like nursing assistant. People are lured by the nice salary doctors earn overseas like how some doctors earn over $200,000 a year and with specialty that number balloons to over $300,000. What they don't realize is how difficult it is to get residency. So many American trained medical students are even finding it difficult to get residency let alone foreigners. Moreover, they sometimes require them to take some other exams or fufill a course requirement which many fail to accomplish.

If these doctors are threatening to leave the country, they should let them, after all, there are many students praying to gain admission for medicine to replace them.
please tell them oooo,going abroad is not the solution,have been privileged to traveled out of the country and i see alots nothing special about overseas.some Nigerian are roaming about to earn a living over there but pretending as if everything is okay."i must make it here in Nigeria", that's my own motto and slogan.what about you?

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by merits(m): 4:24am On Jun 21, 2018
Britishcoins:
Let them go now, we have native doctors.
They will take over the mantle of health sectors.
On a serious note thanks almighty God for my health, I can't even remember when last I took injection.
Oh I remember that 21 years ago, during children immunizations.
Glory to God for my health..
you think only for yourself,have you forgotten you will be aged one day?more over if you think you have no health issues, what about your families?stop be a shallow thinker.

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by Born2Breed(f): 4:28am On Jun 21, 2018
This is fact and those disputing it are doing so on their peril.

Visit these general hospitals, you got to see the main doctors once a week.

I know a doctor who left in the 90's. He living life in the states.
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by bidemi1190: 4:34am On Jun 21, 2018
True talk. There is high discrimination there.you cant match more than primary health if you eventually scale true. Infact canada will tell inspite of you schooling, there is no assurance of residency, In Usa even if you school there to even enter med school
They will tell to pay 4yrs in ewcrow, uk will tell you that after matching their citizens they will consider img. They should be deceiving the gullible masses. We should tell ourselves the truth e no easy anywhere.
Kabaka100:

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by seunayantokun(m): 4:36am On Jun 21, 2018
They are not the only ones leaving. They're free to go. There are many of them looking for government jobs here.
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by SheikhMuniru(m): 4:36am On Jun 21, 2018
BETTER, THEY SHOULD LEAVE WE'LL TRAIN BUBU AND HIS BROTHERS IN COW BIZ ON HOW TO HEAL AND CURE DISEASES
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by MAURI: 4:42am On Jun 21, 2018
doubt, if doctors are scarce in Nigeria, then they won't be grossly underpaid, in short its when the demand for them exceed their supply that will make them not to be underpaid in Nigeria. Its a very simple something

This line of arguement is flawed dear. Are politicians scarce in Nigeria? Is that the reason they are grossly overpaid? It is a matter of priority & wrong value system.

3 Likes

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by ednut1(m): 4:43am On Jun 21, 2018
Y not come bk
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by bigsmoke2(m): 4:43am On Jun 21, 2018
NovaCare:
This news is both good and bad!

If they leave, i guess we the Naturopathic practitioners will take over
All this comment make me wanna weep. would you allow your relatives that need surgery to be treated by native doctor . Nigerian joke about everything thing . This is a serious problem. Virtually every doctor I know has travel plans even though they may still be practicing in the country. The void their absence will create will lead to a lot of quackery and people will just be dying like fowl. Dont worry when Drs finish it is small doctor Omo iya teacher, that will be employed in our hospital.

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by jagbajantus: 4:54am On Jun 21, 2018
TALK IS CHEAP! Oga Hypocrite.
Dr. Olufunmilayo Harvey, easy for you to say. Why don't you begin by practicing what you preach? Teach by example.
Follow your own teaching and pack up all your portmanto and leave the UK and move back to Nigeria.
You are telling others to go back but you yourself just siddon there jeje just dey miliki. tongue

2 Likes

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by Nobody: 4:55am On Jun 21, 2018
Texazzpete, they are here again. The people who are most vulnerable making the most dismissive noises

They think doctors roll off an assembly line.
They probably have no health insurance
They expect doctors to be rewarded in heaven

2 Likes

Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by godofuck231: 5:06am On Jun 21, 2018
They can't treat cows so tohell with them, they are even more curupt, if not careful efcc will investigate their sources of wealth
Re: "Nigeria Is In Big Problem!" - Doctor Olufunmilayo Harvey by themodernman: 5:11am On Jun 21, 2018
sayisayi:
Many jobs here in the UK for doctors..mlook at NHS Wales too, they are hungry for African doctors. Just leave ego and village practices in naija when you board plane

What do you mean by the ego and village practices please?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Family Confirms Death Of Lagos Diploma Holder Who Jumped Into Lagoon / Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid / How Can A Female Get Rid Of Her Muscular Arms?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.