Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

What Did You Learn From Acrimony? - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Did You Learn From Acrimony? (9698 Views)

Acrimony:what Did You Learn In The Movie. Let's Share Our Views And Learn From / The Movie 'acrimony / After Seeing "Acrimony" I Felt Like Crying... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by Sterope(f): 8:51pm On Aug 06, 2018
Too much emotions, so much stereotypes!

It could have been better and shorter.
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by Sterope(f): 8:52pm On Aug 06, 2018
How do you compensate emotional investment?
Hanseel1:

This sounds funny.
She spent $1.2m on him and he compensated her with $10m and a house, what could be more generous than that?
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 06, 2018
Sterope:

By showing appreciation?

It seems like you people don't know the meaning of divorce.

Divorce is only finalized when issues within a marriage are irreconcilable.

When you divorce someone everything between you and that person seizes to exist. All formalities are officially broken.

Robert didn't even have to pay her $10m.
She lost her womb because of her stupidity.
She divorced him because of her self centredness.
All these emotional whatever wouldn't have existed if Roberts didn't make it later.
Only a fool would leave Diana in such situation.
Melinda called robbert a failure.. and others, what else do you want Robert to give her? his life?

1 Like

Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by VERDA: 9:44pm On Aug 06, 2018
zicoraads:
Who else? It's the guy of course. He planted that seed of doubt when he first made out with that girl in the trailer. Before then, she trusted him completely.

And he didn't give her much to go on with tbh. She gave everything and she tried to have endured that much suffering, even after giving everything financially. Very few ladies can wait that long for a man. It's really sad that things went south when the lines were finally falling into place.

But, the man was at fault all day long.

The woman tried no doubt but I don't understand you bringing up him sleeping with a girl in the trailer...they were fu*cking teenagers and he never cheated on her since then....she had stayed with him that longer,if not for pressure from her sis she would have remained....plus when he made it,he gave her almost 8 times what she ever spent on him plus her mothers home as appreciation,what else do you expect from him??
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by babyfaceafrica: 11:40pm On Aug 06, 2018
kazyhm:
Robert should be blame.......if i were him, i would go back to my wife

i just watch the crazy movie this night
after she divorced him and jumped to another d1ck........if I hear...that is why divorce should be gradual....once done..all ties are cut off
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by babyfaceafrica: 11:42pm On Aug 06, 2018
NoToPile:
I am surprised peeps are shouting 10milliln dollars, how much is that in the scheme of things. Now they are equating it to the over 1million dollars she spent. 18 years later not 18days not 18months.

Are we all forgetting that it's because of the allegation of cheating she divorced him. Any woman would break under those circumstances.

I hope the ladies are learning. He doesn't work to support you for 18years because of his dream, did his dream stop him from working

He only loved her because of the support she offered, he should have offered to marry her back after clearing himself of the infidelity accusation and getting the contract. And he shouldn't have married that same lady he cheated with irrespective of wether she was helpful or not, any other person but her, he should have paid her off not Melinda.

I hope the ladies are learning.
did he cheat on her after they got married... no?..she overreacted and emotionally unstable.... the guy is a jerk..agreed.....but the gal sef no get sense
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by Teespice(f): 5:42am On Aug 07, 2018
one huge lesson I learnt from the movie is not to lose my sense of self either in a relationship or marriage.

undue interference by third parties in a marriage is wrong on all levels.

as humans, we all have our breaking point, I guess Melinda reached hers the day she asked for a divorce.

1 Like

Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by kazyhm(m): 7:22am On Aug 07, 2018
babyfaceafrica:
after she divorced him and jumped to another d1ck........if I hear...that is why divorce should be gradual....once done..all ties are cut off

well, i dont konw if one can't re-marry after a legal divorce but i won't marry Diana either.......thats very mean of him
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by Teespice(f): 9:12am On Aug 07, 2018
Saff:
After watching the film I can say I put more fault on Melinda. Why?

Because Robert didn't force her to give him money for his tuition fee, for the car and all the other expenses. He suggested it, and she chose to be superwoman and take on the responsibility without looking at the possible consequences. She gave this man everything out of stupidity and love and she lost all her senses in the process. In the end, she initiated the divorce because she was tired. But somehow she felt entitled to half of his money ( the money he made after the finalization of the divorce)? This is what happens when you allow your emotions to delude your brain, and logic falls out of the window. You have to be smart at all times, and put yourself first before anything. Thats exactly what Robert did. He put himself first, even when they offered him 800,00 , he refused to take it knowing that they were in debt. but he knew he was worth more, and he focused on himself. Robert is not 100% innocent but I put more blame on Melinda.

Moral of the story: Don't waste your young years as a woman trying to be superwoman, and feel entitled to his money when he finally makes it. Life doesn't work that way. It happens a lot all the time. Robert would've divorced Melinda anyways even if she didn't. Diana was the woman he truly wanted from the start, the cheating in the beginning was symbolic. He was using Melinda for the come up and really wanted to be with Diana in the end. Diana hardly did anything, yet she got everything in the end. Diana was the smartest one in the whole film. Ride or die chicks always lose in the end. They always end up being miserable and bitter later on. Well maybe if they think more with logic and less with emotions like diana, they'll be in better positions. grin

over all didn't like the ending but the film was good.

gbam!!! your first paragraph is the reason I always emphasise that women should not lose their sense of self either in a relationship or marriage. somehow, a party who gives too much and expects so much in return gets hurt. who wouldn't be scorned at the end of the day.
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by Nobody: 11:22am On Aug 07, 2018
Teespice:

gbam!!! your first paragraph is the reason I always emphasise that women should not lose their sense of self either in a relationship or marriage. somehow, a party who gives too much and expects so much in return gets hurt. who wouldn't be scorned at the end of the day.

This is about men who give so much in a relationship or marriage with the hope or aim of impressing their partner and they keep on expecting the receiver to reciprocate it in one way or the other.

That's why I advocate for equal giving in both relationship and marriage.
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by 2buffagain(m): 4:30pm On Aug 07, 2018
Sterope:

With cash. What else?
You women drawl on and on about your ducking emotions I swear.

1 Like

Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by somehow: 5:58pm On Aug 07, 2018
Saff:
After watching the film I can say I put more fault on Melinda. Why?

Because Robert didn't force her to give him money for his tuition fee, for the car and all the other expenses. He suggested it, and she chose to be superwoman and take on the responsibility without looking at the possible consequences. She gave this man everything out of stupidity and love and she lost all her senses in the process. In the end, she initiated the divorce because she was tired. But somehow she felt entitled to half of his money ( the money he made after the finalization of the divorce)? This is what happens when you allow your emotions to delude your brain, and logic falls out of the window. You have to be smart at all times, and put yourself first before anything. Thats exactly what Robert did. He put himself first, even when they offered him 800,00 , he refused to take it knowing that they were in debt. but he knew he was worth more, and he focused on himself. Robert is not 100% innocent but I put more blame on Melinda.

Moral of the story: Don't waste your young years as a woman trying to be superwoman, and feel entitled to his money when he finally makes it. Life doesn't work that way. It happens a lot all the time. Robert would've divorced Melinda anyways even if she didn't. Diana was the woman he truly wanted from the start, the cheating in the beginning was symbolic. He was using Melinda for the come up and really wanted to be with Diana in the end. Diana hardly did anything, yet she got everything in the end. Diana was the smartest one in the whole film. Ride or die chicks always lose in the end. They always end up being miserable and bitter later on. Well maybe if they think more with logic and less with emotions like diana, they'll be in better positions. grin

over all didn't like the ending but the film was good.

If he cheated with Diana and also wanted Diana, how come the cheating only happened once and he never kept in touch with her again until almost 20 years later?

How come when he was thrown out of the house by Melinda, he went to a shelter to live and work at a restaurant even though he knew where Diana was working?

How come he didnt also try to manipulate or sell himself cheap before Diana just to win her over?

He rejected the money because he knew what the project caused him. He loved Melinda to the core, apart from being so self centered (ambition wise), he always put Melinda in all the did. Was just trying to be a superman to her while she just kept releasing money without following up on what he was doing with the money. Apart for the money she gave, she didnt follow up his project, left him alone to deal with his mess, she didnt key into it to see it work out for good.

This is where Diana did, she was engrossed in his work and in short time came results.

One thing is to help people with money, another is to make sure what they do with the money actually yeild the result its suppose to yield.

The man shed tears for her, the man loved her dearly and gave her more than 1000% what she invested in the project, bought back her mum's house. A man who never loved her wouldn't do this.

She was just too unstable, listening to virtually everyone and in the process lost what drew her to Roberts in the first place.

So please, don't go that route that Robert loved Diana and not Melinda.

1 Like

Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by somehow: 6:00pm On Aug 07, 2018
2buffagain:

With cash. What else?
You women drawl on and on about your ducking emotions I swear.

Like the man didn't invest emotion too.

Do you know how many times Roberts got humiliated by her and her family?

Sometimes they treated him like shitts..Melinda had to stop her sisters in some case when the emotional poisioning was going on against Robert.

1 Like

Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by somehow: 10:42pm On Aug 07, 2018
She gained a great sex master who handled her completely and knew all the curves on her body. After leaving him, she couldn't get such a sex master anywhere else.

Secondly, Roberts listened to her alot, treated her with respect after the cheating goof and never cheated on her again.
vhickky:
please what are you saying? what did Melinda gain from the man?.... cos i don't know what he stopped offering in the marriage
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by somehow: 10:44pm On Aug 07, 2018
What were you expecting? she already divorced him, she he not give her what he felt was befitting of her financial sacrifice knowing fully well that he didn't make it while they were together?
prettyesther20:
Robert is to blame please. He is a lazy man living on an unnecessary "hope". For 18 years u stay at home doing nothing!! please who does that

At least work and help your wife and still be hopeful your battery hits jackpot. How could u live seeing your wife be miserable for so long without helping her in any way. That's terrible, at least have a side job!

Then, when everything goes well u decide to pay her off, like WTF... she divorced u because she was angry, depressed, paranoid and fed up. That moment he made it, he would have re married her and they start a new beautiful life again because c'mon she did everything for u and got tired cause u weren't contributing anything. Rather he decides to stab her in the back with the same woman he cheated on her with! that's low.

Robert is to blame. Melinda is not crazy please.
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by somehow: 10:48pm On Aug 07, 2018
Go back and watch the movie again, the man only cheated once and that was like 15 years earlier in their relationship. they weren't even married then and never cheated again nor did he even keep contacts with Diana he cheated with for 18 years.

How can you call such a man a cheat? just a one of thing that never repeated itself again. Lazy for not working at least to support the house while hoping on his battery, YES, but never on cheating.

Taiwoces:
Personally I think 3 parties deserved to be blame in that movie.
1. Her siblings: never supported the relationship from day one because they believed he is a gold digger which led them to keep piling pressure on the couple. Thereby making it hard for the wife

2. The husband: the man loved his wife whole heartedly but kept on indulging in an unholy relationship with an old acquaintance. I frowned at cheating.

3.The wife: loved her husband but because of pressure and unfaithfulness on the husband part, she let go of the relationship. To me she wasn't patient enough

Felt sorry for her, but she was compensated handsomely. She just want her man back which made her so desperate, thereby leading to her dead.

Personally I think she deserves more in the movie not financially. Love u Taraji P. Henson
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by LordsApostle: 12:16am On Aug 08, 2018
So u never knew?? I'm disappointed...
Hanseel1:

You're right. If Robert didn't make it later, I'm sure she wouldn't have wanted him back.

This only shows that many women are in relationships and marriages today because of what the men have to offer and immediately they stop offering those things, the marriage will hit the brick.
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by jaybee3(m): 7:50am On Aug 08, 2018
luminouz:

The commonality in character of most successful people is deeply rooted in their passionate driven ambition to succeed at all cost.

He was definitely overly comfortable with the dependable support of Taraji but doubting oneself wasn’t an option either.

Great lessons all round though even if they are unrealistic.

I don’t expect any woman/man to support their other half if they aren’t bringing equity into the relationship in any shape or form

We all know how outside noise (Third party interference) can spell doom for the relationship so no point in stressing how important it is to solve problems within

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by bobphrisel(m): 4:39pm On Sep 25, 2018
Teespice:
one huge lesson I learnt from the movie is not to lose my sense of self either in a relationship or marriage.

undue interference by third parties in a marriage is wrong on all levels.

as humans, we all have our breaking point, I guess Melinda reached hers the day she asked for a divorce.

you dont understand, Melinda didn't divorce him cos of all his years of brokeness, Melinda would have stayed with him more 100 years in that his broke state, it was just because she taught he cheated, that was what made her divorce him,
Lesson to ladies, find proof first before taking decisions
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by Mizblack(f): 6:24pm On Sep 25, 2018
Saw d movie 2 days ago. At d end, i said; this is wat happens wen two people who have no biz been 2gether, get involved. The foundation of dat relation was all shades of wrong, we nid 2 tackles certain bad character traits, anger destroyed mel's life, it took her ability 2 have children, broke her marriage and ultimately took her life. Oh Mel thou, wat an enabler!! Hw do u love a man 4 18 years and nt demand he takes a job. Rob neva loved dat woman, he was thankful 4 her. Gratitude alone, dat's y he paid ha, nt becos he loved her but becos he was indebted 2 her.

1 Like

Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by 2buffagain(m): 8:44pm On Sep 25, 2018
Mizblack:
Saw d movie 2 days ago. At d end, i said; this is wat happens wen two people who have no biz been 2gether, get involved. The foundation of dat relation was all shades of wrong, we nid 2 tackles certain bad character traits, anger destroyed mel's life, it took her ability 2 have children, broke her marriage and ultimately took her life. Oh Mel thou, wat an enabler!! Hw do u love a man 4 18 years and nt demand he takes a job. Rob neva loved dat woman, he was thankful 4 her. Gratitude alone, dat's y he paid ha, nt becos he loved her but becos he was indebted 2 her.

I agree.
Love would make you take a job to support the woman who loves you enough to support you.
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by daviesblaze(m): 9:00am On Sep 26, 2018
2buffagain:

I agree.
Love would make you take a job to support the woman who loves you enough to support you.
you my friend, is a fvcking asslicker
Re: What Did You Learn From Acrimony? by 2buffagain(m): 5:56pm On Sep 26, 2018
daviesblaze:
you my friend, is a fvcking asslicker

God bless you smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Unforgettable Love Letter. / Why Are Nigerian Girls On Nairaland So Bummy And Fugly? / Woman Regularly Posts Videos Of Herself Breastfeeding Her Sons (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.