Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,361 members, 7,812,024 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment (26975 Views)

Hospitals Demand Child's Tribe Before Treatment / Man Die In Rivers Because Hospital Insist They Get Paid Before Treatment / Stories Of Why Hospitals Insist On Payment First Before Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by crazysam001: 5:03pm On Jul 18, 2018
Jaqenhghar:

You talk as of you actually save the lives in the first place. SMH

A man has no brain.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 18, 2018
Jaqenhghar:

It wasnt the payment that was the problem. Its the service that was rotten. Hlw do you give someone who is diabetic glucose drips
If the person is hypoglycemic, he will be given glucose to return that in his blood back to normal. Also, when there's hyperglycaemic crisis, glucose drip will be given at a point during the treatment. Please kindly research more on things before u give any info about them. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Jaqenhghar: 5:55pm On Jul 18, 2018
Vickygarl:

If the person is hypoglycemic, he will be given glucose to return that in his blood back to normal. Also, when there's hyperglycaemic crisis, glucose drip will be given at a point during the treatment. Please kindly research more on things before u give any info about them. Thanks
I wasnt the one who gave the dose. I didnt kill the woman. Im saying what happened. If I need your opinion Ill ask for it
Thanks for nothing
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by sisisioge: 6:04pm On Jul 18, 2018
LaudableXX:

Most of you do NOT understand how health insurance is structured in Nigeria. shocked Most health insurance companies prefer to insure employees of an organisation en bloc, rather than single individuals who walk in, expecting to buy health insurance packages, off the shelf.

Secondly, your health insurance is tied to a provider hospital which means that you can only use that particular hospital under your health plan.
If you decide to switch to another hospital, you need to wait for a period of time (1-3 months in some cases) before you can start receiving treatment under your health plan, in that new hospital.

Thirdly, if you buy health insurance today, you cannot start enjoying the benefit today, you need to wait for 1 month before it kicks in. sad If you need medical care during that 1 month window, you pay out of your pocket.

Fourthly, for emergency care - if you are rushed to a different hospital from the one you are registered with under your health care plan, that new hospital still has to get in touch with your medical insurance providers before they can agree to treat you. If your health insurance provider withholds their consent, then that new hospital cannot treat you. Some hospitals do NOT even accept health insurance - it is strictly cash and carry. undecided

Finally, not every medical or surgical procedure is covered by health insurance. It all depends on the kind of ealth care plan you have in place.

There I was thinking you would say HMO providers do NOT absolutely accept private individuals. Well, yes they prefer to cover people from a coy because of a guarantee of premium payment and it's generally easier to manage. However, private individuals too can buy the package.

Any other thing you said there isn't out of ordinary as even people with cash at hand have to contend with what their money can pay for at the hospital. Same way my 5k will only cover seeing a consultant for an eye issue as opposed to getting full treatment and the whole works inclusive of my glasses. Essentially, there are different classes of the insurance plan with your premium determining your coverage.

Conclusively, every healthy insurance provider worth its salt has at least one registered hospital in your local government. Even if you find yourself in your bestie's LGA in an emergency, your card is your first ticket to attendance. You can't help not having an HMO, its the cheapest first step to medical assurance you can give yourself.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Scout60(m): 6:07pm On Jul 18, 2018
QualityHealthCa:

And the same Nigerian Patient will come on Nairaland to say:

"That shít only happens in Nigeria. In other countries, patients are treated first! People's lives matter not here! Even if you're dying here, they'll ask to go and purchase card, wait in line for the doctor SMH"

Greatest Nigerian Patients! Great!!! cheesy

as in eee

but something should be put aside for patients especially emergency. we can not predict next hour of our life and no one carry money around
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 18, 2018
Jaqenhghar:

I wasnt the one who gave the dose. I didnt kill the woman. Im saying what happened. If I need your opinion Ill ask for it
Thanks for nothing
If u were not in support of the query u wouldn't have put up the post at all. Was only trying to correct a misconception, not accusing u of anything. Moreover, if u don't want people to comment on a post, don't put it up here.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by mfm04622: 8:38pm On Jul 18, 2018
LaudableXX:

Most of you do NOT understand how health insurance is structured in Nigeria. shocked Most health insurance companies prefer to insure employees of an organisation en bloc, rather than single individuals who walk in, expecting to buy health insurance packages, off the shelf.

Secondly, your health insurance is tied to a provider hospital which means that you can only use that particular hospital under your health plan.
If you decide to switch to another hospital, you need to wait for a period of time (1-3 months in some cases) before you can start receiving treatment under your health plan, in that new hospital.

Thirdly, if you buy health insurance today, you cannot start enjoying the benefit today, you need to wait for 1 month before it kicks in. sad If you need medical care during that 1 month window, you pay out of your pocket.

Fourthly, for emergency care - if you are rushed to a different hospital from the one you are registered with under your health care plan, that new hospital still has to get in touch with your medical insurance providers before they can agree to treat you. If your health insurance provider withholds their consent, then that new hospital cannot treat you. Some hospitals do NOT even accept health insurance - it is strictly cash and carry. undecided

Finally, not every medical or surgical procedure is covered by health insurance. It all depends on the kind of ealth care plan you have in place.

1. NHIS, the government owned Health Insurance Company do not have that issue.
2. For NHIS, you chose the hospital you want as long as the hospital is registered with NHIS. You even chose two.
3. That is very true. Coverage is not immediate. However, the way insurance works is you have the insurance BEFORE you need it! Or do one buy his car insurance after being involved in accident?
4. For emergency care, your insurance provider cannot withhold treatment except the condition is excluded. No important procedure is excluded. However, private health insurance provide cheap options that withhold some important procedure. However, the buyer knew what he was buying before paying or choosing that plan
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Jaqenhghar: 9:55pm On Jul 18, 2018
XhosaNostra:

Sigh. IMO, in Africa, the most incompetent people seek power. Personally, I believe in a multi-cultural society because it brings with it a broader spectrum of thinking. With that said, it's not like we haven't evolved as a whole because there're some very progressive black people (a prime example are Venda people. Will touch on that at the end of this post). It's just that the majority of black people are too emotional imo. No thinking, just an ocean of emotions. That's dragging us back in more ways than one.

Back to Venda people. These people are the smartest & hardworking individuals (usually very stingy too) in my opinion. They go to other provinces to make money, so they can build these big, beautiful homes without any assistance. They make the best of any situation. Plus they support each other a lot. Wish more people were as wise as they are, because trust me, Africa would be a much better place if we all supported each other's dreams, instead of being envious of people who are doing much better than us.

This is rural Venda, btw. You'll be shocked to know some of the people owning these houses probably flip burgers in the city for a living.

hmmm. Thats a lot you put out there. I agree the multiculturalism is key. But when you have a people who do not have a learning culture honestly multiculturalism (or any effort at exposure)becomes a waste. The we have this self centredness. Whe a people cant think of (or care about)how their actions affect others then dont expect anything meaning full. I think these Venda people might be the sort you will entrust to run a country. I mean if we were as progressive, peole will want to study their culture.. to understand why they think the way they do

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by jack00000: 7:17am On Jul 19, 2018
Ayoswit:
I understand their reasons for demanding payment or deposit before treating a patient but if I was the one, I would treat the patient regardless of the fact that money wasn't paid because I can't watch a patient die when I can be able to treat him, it's hard though but saving a life is worth it.
how many lives do u want to save? its easy for you to say that because you don't work in the hospital. my hospital current outstanding bill is about 1.5m, both surgical and medical cases, who suffers it? and the same people will criticize you when you don't have ordinary suture or I.v fluid when emergency comes...... if you are dying can u rush to bank to get a loan? or rush to a pharmacy to buy drugs on credit! most times people think hospitals are not working, let both private and public hospitals go on strike and tell me the death rate after 2days. let's appreciate hospital staffs and pay our bills it motivates us. God bless
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by jack00000: 7:25am On Jul 19, 2018
desthan:
There was a senerio we had to convey a man who was hit by a lady to the hospital, only to be told to deposits a huge amount before they could start any form of treatment. Now this was about 1pm, we paid and left only to be called by the hospital at 2.30pm that the man is dead.

We rushed to the hospital and the family of the man were accusing the hospital of not doing anything even after pay ment. undecided
where were they between 1 and 2? is there any sane doctor that will have a patient whose deposit has been settled and refused to attend to such? brother there is joy when you attend to a patient and he gets better. they are not God, the condition seems bad
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by XhosaNostra(f): 7:30am On Jul 19, 2018
Jaqenhghar:
hmmm. Thats a lot you put out there. I agree the multiculturalism is key. But when you have a people who do not have a learning culture honestly multiculturalism (or any effort at exposure)becomes a waste. The we have this self centredness. Whe a people cant think of (or care about)how their actions affect others then dont expect anything meaning full. I think these Venda people might be the sort you will entrust to run a country. I mean if we were as progressive, peole will want to study their culture.. to understand why they think the way they do

You may not be aware of it, but TBH, I see a lot of similarities between what is happening over there & what is happening here. Even here we have people who refuse to think for the benefit of everybody. They're only interested in what will benefit them, even if it means destroying the country in the process. Currently blacks are divided. Some are becoming very racist. If you don't agree with some of the stupid policies that they want, they call you a "Clever black", which is just another name for an Uncle Tom. Well, we can't all share the same views. It's a sign of impeding doom when people start to label & insult people they don't see eye-to-eye with. TBH, I hope I never live to see the day when certain people come to power in this country, because I feel everything we achieved so far, would be in ruins.

Btw, our current president is Venda & he's not doing too shabby but it's still too early to get our hopes up. Politicians are after all, untrustworthy.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by LaudableXX: 2:45pm On Jul 19, 2018
mfm04622:
1. NHIS, the government owned Health Insurance Company do not have that issue.
2. For NHIS, you chose the hospital you want as long as the hospital is registered with NHIS. You even chose two.
3. That is very true. Coverage is not immediate. However, the way insurance works is you have the insurance BEFORE you need it! Or do one buy his car insurance after being involved in accident?
4. For emergency care, your insurance provider cannot withhold treatment except the condition is excluded. No important procedure is excluded. However, private health insurance provide cheap options that withhold some important procedure. However, the buyer knew what he was buying before paying or choosing that plan

1. For NHIS, you chose the hospital you want, but if you need to receive treatment in a different hospital from the one you are registered with under NHIS, your insurance would not cover the new hospital. You can only change hospitals after informing NHIS, and it takes 2-3 months or even longer for the change to be effected. Let us assume you are registered under a hospital in Marina area of Lagos and you have to go to Minna in Niger state for a short assignment. If you fall ill in Minna, your NHIS plan, would not cover your medical expenses at a different hospital in Minna. Do you get it?

2. Yes, you chose the hospital you want, but after choosing that hospital and you need to undergo treatment in a different hospital, your medical expenses in that new hospital (which is different from the one you registered with under NHIS), will not be covered. Try it, if you are in doubt. The new hospital will just look through their list of enrollees which has been sent to them by NHIS, and they would tell you that your name is not on their list. I know many people who had this experience. undecided Some hospitals will even tell you that their last set of bills under NHIS has not been paid, so unless you pay out of your pocket, they cannot give you medical treatment.

3. I am glad you know that coverage is not immediate. sad Many people do not know, and they have to be informed. So, until the coverage comes into effect, even if you are registered with NHIS, you would still pay medical expenses, out of your pocket.

4. Some important procedures are excluded. Please do not say what you do not know. sad Cancer is excluded from NHIS. So is dialysis. Your NHIS provider/HMO can decide to withhold consent for any procedure that is not part of their plan. Go and check. You even contradicted yourself by saying "No important procedure is excluded. However, private health insurance provide cheap options that withhold some important procedure....." So if important procedure is not excluded, why would health insurance companies withhold some important procedures?

Under NHIS, Normal Delivery for a pregnant woman is capped at 7,000 naira per patient. If there are any additional charges, the patient has to pay out of her pocket. And the same scenario, plays out in many different cases. So you people should stop making it seem as if health insurance is an all-inclusive cure for all medical issues. It helps to a small degree, but patients need to be aware they would still make a whole lot more payment out of their pockets, for different types of surgeries or complicated ailments.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by LaudableXX: 2:57pm On Jul 19, 2018
sisisioge:
There I was thinking you would say HMO providers do NOT absolutely accept private individuals. Well, yes they prefer to cover people from a coy because of a guarantee of premium payment and it's generally easier to manage. However, private individuals too can buy the package.

Any other thing you said there isn't out of ordinary as even people with cash at hand have to contend with what their money can pay for at the hospital. Same way my 5k will only cover seeing a consultant for an eye issue as opposed to getting full treatment and the whole works inclusive of my glasses. Essentially, there are different classes of the insurance plan with your premium determining your coverage.

Conclusively, every healthy insurance provider worth its salt has at least one registered hospital in your local government. Even if you find yourself in your bestie's LGA in an emergency, your card is your first ticket to attendance. You can't help not having an HMO, its the cheapest first step to medical assurance you can give yourself.
As long as you guys understand that there are several limitations with using an HMO or subscribing to a health insurance plan, there is no problem. undecided People should stop touting health insurance plans as the be-all and cure-all for all issues pertaining to patients and their ability to get access to medical treatment in Nigeria.

It is one thing for your HMO to have a provider hospital in an LGA different from where you originally registered, it is another thing for that new hospital in their network to offer you medical services, if you are not registered with them. I have seen situations where even registered hospitals with a particular HMO will decline to offer you medical care, if you do not pay cash, simply because that HMO has not settled their bills for the past 2-3 months.

Others will merely offer you palliative care, instead of curative measures because your HMO has capped treatment under your plan to a specific amount.

Many hospitals in Nigeria are only registered with 4-5 HMOs at a maximum, even though there are over 170 registered HMOs which are meant to cater to hundreds of hospitals, medical centres, clinics and healthcare providers, nationwide. sad And in 7 cases out of 10, you might discover that if you go to a different LGA for treatment in a new hospital, they may not even be equipped to handle your case. There are over 774 local govt areas in Nigeria, so what makes you think the average reputable HMO will have a provider hospital in each of these LGAs? Please do not use Lagos or Abuja or Port-harcourt hospitals to judge, o! shocked In many LGAs, you are still left with no choice, but to scout around and pay cash out of your pocket. shocked I always advise people to set aside 10% - 15% of their monthly salary in an emergency fund, to be used for health-related expenses. Life is too important to be left to HMOs and an ill-equipped NHIS scheme, in Nigeria.

brownhawk:
sorry o if truly someone died but the health insurance I have is serviced by me every month. I pay 7k monthly as service. Different packages for different persons. Maybe their insurance didn't cover their demanded services. Still services will be rendered. Health insurance work for certain hospitals not all

Thank you for telling the truth, my brother.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by mfm04622: 3:01pm On Jul 19, 2018
LaudableXX:

1. For NHIS, you chose the hospital you want, but if you need to receive treatment in a different hospital from the one you are registered with under NHIS, your insurance would not cover the new hospital. You can only change hospitals after informing NHIS, and it takes 2-3 months or even longer for the change to be effected. Let us assume you are registered under a hospital in Marina area of Lagos and you have to go to Minna in Niger state for a short assignment. If you fall ill in Minna, your NHIS plan, would not cover your medical expenses at a different hospital in Ife. Do you get it?

2. Yes, you chose the hospital you want, but after choosing that hospital and you need to undergo treatment in a different hospital, your medical expenses in that new hospital (which is different from the one you registered with under NHIS), will not be covered. Try it, if you are in doubt. The new hospital will just look through their list of enrollees which has been sent to them by NHIS, and they would tell you that your name is not on their list. I know many people who had this experience. undecided Some hospitals will even tell you that their last set of bills under NHIS has not been paid, so unless you pay out of your pocket, they cannot give you medical treatment.

3. I am glad you know that coverage is not immediate. sad Many people do not know, and they have to be informed. So, until the coverage comes into effect, even if you are registered with NHIS, you would still pay medical expenses, out of your pocket.

4. Some important procedures are excluded. Please do not say what you do not know. sad Cancer is excluded from NHIS. So is dialysis. Your NHIS provider/HMO can decide to withhold consent for any procedure that is not part of their plan. Go and check. You even contradicted yourself by saying "No important procedure is excluded. However, private health insurance provide cheap options that withhold some important procedure....." So if important procedure is not excluded, why would health insurance companies withhold some important procedures?

Under NHIS, Normal Delivery for a pregnant woman is capped at 7,000 naira per patient. If there are any additional charges, the patient has to pay out of her pocket. And the same scenario, plays out in many different cases. So you people should stop making it seem as if health insurance is an all-inclusive cure for all medical issues. It helps to a small degree, but patients need to be aware they would still make a whole lot more payment out of their pockets, for different types of surgeries or complicated ailments.

For number 3, if you patronize private HMOs, it is what you pay for that you get. They have different levels of care for different amount. So you already know what you are paying for. You know upfront what is excluded.
For NHIS, i will confirm is cancer treatment and dialysis are excluded. All i know is for surgeries, patient need to confirm if it is included before the hospital will treat it. For my family, no care that is required have ever been denied by NHIS. As long as the Health Insurance method is the one patient pay for and not the one that automatically covers every citizen (in some countries, every resident) some treatment will always be excluded. However, it is always better with insurance than without
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by LaudableXX: 3:13pm On Jul 19, 2018
mfm04622:
For number 3, if you patronize private HMOs, it is what you pay for that you get. They have different levels of care for different amount. So you already know what you are paying for. You know upfront what is excluded.
For NHIS, i will confirm is cancer treatment and dialysis are excluded. All i know is for surgeries, patient need to confirm if it is included before the hospital will treat it. For my family, no care that is required have ever been denied by NHIS. As long as the Health Insurance method is the one patient pay for and not the one that automatically covers every citizen (in some countries, every resident) some treatment will always be excluded. However, it is always better with insurance than without

Oga, even under NHIS (not just HMOs) there are various procedures that are excluded. sad And even under NHIS, many hospitals will give you only basic level treatment, rather than specialised care or intensive treatment. NHIS has capped the payment they would give any hospital for each type of procedure. So several hospitals would not want to take a chance, by giving you specialised treatment that exceeds the fee capped by NHIS. In some cases, it is even better to sign up with a private HMO, than with NHIS.

Even for NHIS, you also make payment for the annual premium, or their annual registration fee is deducted from your salary. sad Kindly go and check. So your excuse that "As long as the Health Insurance method is the one patient pay for and not the one that automatically covers every citizen (in some countries, every resident) some treatment will always be excluded...." does not hold water. The bottom line is that NHIS does not cover every procedure.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by mfm04622: 3:27pm On Jul 19, 2018
LaudableXX:

Oga, even under NHIS (not just HMOs) there are various procedures that are excluded. sad And even under NHIS, many hospitals will give you only basic level treatment, rather than specialised care or intensive treatment. NHIS has capped the payment they would give any hospital for each type of procedure. So several hospitals would not want to take a chance, by giving you specialised treatment that exceeds the fee capped by NHIS. In some cases, it is even better to sign up with a private HMO, than with NHIS.

Even for NHIS, you also make payment for the annual premium, or their annual registration fee is deducted from your salary. sad Kindly go and check. So your excuse that "As long as the Health Insurance method is the one patient pay for and not the one that automatically covers every citizen (in some countries, every resident) some treatment will always be excluded...." does not hold water. The bottom line is that NHIS does not cover every procedure.

Go back and read then digest what i wrote before rushing to comment.

Of course the level of the care a patient will receive under private HMO will be better because the cost is higher. No argument.

All over the world, there are 2 ways of funding healthcare. Either by taxing the workforce or by citizens paying for health insurance. UK healthcare is funded by tax, US is by buying insurance. What i mean is the coverage from buying insurance is usually inferior to that provided by taxes except you are very rich and can pay a lot.

Am not saying present way health is managed is the best. What i said is having health insurance (NHIS or private) is better than having none
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by LaudableXX: 3:31pm On Jul 19, 2018
mfm04622:
Go back and read then digest what i wrote before rushing to comment.

Of course the level of the care a patient will receive under private HMO will be better because the cost is higher. No argument.

All over the world, there are 2 ways of funding healthcare. Either by taxing the workforce or by citizens paying for health insurance. UK healthcare is funded by tax, US is by buying insurance. What i mean is the coverage from buying insurance is usually inferior to that provided by taxes except you are very rich and can pay a lot.

Am not saying present way health is managed is the best. What i said is having health insurance (NHIS or private) is better than having none
Oga, you are the one that rushes to comment without bothering to read and digest all that has been said. undecided

Look at your recent comment: "What i mean is the coverage from buying insurance is usually inferior to that provided by taxes..." Really? shocked Oga, this statement does not apply to Nigeria. It is the other way round, here. Medical care provided to Nigerians under NHIS cannot be said to be superior, to the one obtained under an insurance plan provided by HMOs.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by mfm04622: 3:41pm On Jul 19, 2018
LaudableXX:

Oga, you are the one that rushes to comment without bothering to read and digest all that has been said. undecided

Look at your recent comment: "What i mean is the coverage from buying insurance is usually inferior to that provided by taxes..." Really? shocked Oga, this statement does not apply to Nigeria. It is the other way round, here. Medical care provided to Nigerians under NHIS cannot be said to be superior, to the one obtained under an insurance plan provided by HMOs.

That is where you are making mistake. Is our healthcare funded by taxes in Nigeria? NO!
If it were, the Government won't set up a health insurance company and ask you to buy health insurance. That was why i gave you examples of where both systems exist.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by jaksmillioniar: 5:54pm On Jul 19, 2018
sisisioge:
grin grin grin

Funny! We are indeed funny folks in this country. I won't stop saying families should get health insurance for themselves... If you deem yourself eligible enough to get married, please be eligible enough to pay about just a 100k per a whole year premium covering yourself, wife and four kids. This will save you a lot of headache... Don't compromise on this.
hi dear I see wen u put pains of love in ahny blog is well dear
in love u face a pains and challenge.distance kills love. I wish to be a friend dear
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by sisisioge: 6:02pm On Jul 19, 2018
jaksmillioniar:

hi dear I see wen u put pains of love in ahny blog is well dear
in love u face a pains and challenge.distance kills love. I wish to be a friend dear

Me ke? Is someone bearing my moniker elsewhere? Ahny blog? Checking it out...thanks.

Modified:
Just did, it's Spanish grin. I love to learn the language.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by phase1: 6:06pm On Jul 21, 2018
QualityHealthCa:

See why I told this Ser Dontos to go to hell?

Do you know the commonest complication of Diabetes is Hypoglycaemia?

I'm sure if a white skinned doc told you that, you'll accept even if it doesn't make any sense to you.

I see your gullible type daily in hospitals in the North, getting fleeced and flayed of their hard earned money whenever they see "white skinned" individuals wearing ward coat, even though some of them might just be assistants or lab scientists sef from the country they come from.

I laugh heavily when I see some of their diagnosis sef.

Like:

"Sleeping for a long time second day to unknown cause"

Bwahahahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy

A licensed Medical labpratory scientist trained in US, UK, Aussie or any advanced country is far more medically knowlegeable than you nigerian mbbs mor0ns.

If you attempt the AIMS, IBMS, ASCPi exam for Medical scientists you won't make more than 15%.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by phase1: 6:27pm On Jul 21, 2018
IMASTEX:

What of the hospital that will ask you to deposit for blood for in case of emergency need. And when the blood isn't eventually used on the patient at the time of discharge only 50% of the initial deposit was refunded? And no better reason was given why you cant get full refund, well as the blood was donated for free. Still they charge high at the hospital. This happened even in a government hospital recently in my State.

Actually you are not paying for the blood, No one can pay for blood. Blood is life and you can't pay for it. Blood is a tissue made up of complex cells just like your liver, the fact that it is easily auto-replaceable doesn't make it less valuable than your liver and kidneys.

When you make payment at the blood bank in the medical laboratory in cases like you mentioned, what you are paying for is not the blood per se. You are paying for the Blood bag, Reagents used in screening it for hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, VDRL, HIV 1 and 2, Crossmatching, storage and expertise of the Scientist who ensure the blood is safe. All these things cost money.
So even if the blood was not later transfused as planned, the right thing was done to ensure the patient gets safer blood if need be. Consumable and reagents were expended and they have to be paid for.

Blood is free (you cannot buy it) consumables, reagents, expertise are not .

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 9:08pm On Jul 21, 2018
phase1:

A licensed Medical labpratory scientist trained in US, UK, Aussie or any advanced country is far more medically knowlegeable than you nigerian mbbs mor0ns.

If you attempt the AIMS, IBMS, ASCPi exam for Medical scientists you won't make more than 15%.

Your gullibility is in it's 1st Phase... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 21, 2018
phase1:

Why should he write the exam when he is not a Medical lab scientist? You have no point.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 21, 2018
phase1:

Actually you are not paying for the blood, No one can for blood. Blood is life and you can't pay for it. Blood is a tissue made up of complex cells just like your liver, the fact the is easily auto-replaceable doesn't make it less valuable than your liver and kidneys.

When you make payment at the blood bank in the medical laboratory in cases like you mentioned, what you are paying for is not the blood per se. You are paying for the Blood bag, Reagents used in screening it for hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, VDRL, HIV 1 and 2, Crossmatching, storage and expertise of the Scientist who ensure the blood is safe. All these things cost money.
So even if the blood was not later transfused as plan, the right thing was done to ensure the patient gets safer blood if need be. Consumable and reagents were expended and they have to be paid.

Blood is free (you cannot buy it) consumables, reagents, expertise are not .
100% accurate
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by phase1: 11:15pm On Jul 21, 2018
QualityHealthCa:

Your gullibility is in it's 1st Phase... cheesy cheesy cheesy

You know it and I know it. You are not more knowledgeable than many Medical Scientists. You must be daft to think that you empty-skulls can insult and blame medical scientists (Some of us feed your likes and pay your salaries) for your quackery.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 11:36pm On Jul 21, 2018
phase1:

You know it and I know it. You are not more knowledgeable than many Medical Scientists. You must be daft to think that you empty-skulls can insult and blame medical scientists (Some of us feed your likes and pay your salaries) for your quackery.

The words of a typical JOHESUite, all loud, aggressive and tinkling cymbal, but bereft of sense or meaning.

Only in a sham of a country called Nigeria do we have your type feeding doctors. Have you fed the doctors abroad with your "fat" paycheck?

Abeg swerve inside gutter jarey, you're just an attention seeking distraction of a troll. I've indulged your sorry ass enough. No go to bed with sweet dreams that you blasted a doctor and put him in his place.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by phase1: 6:46am On Jul 22, 2018
QualityHealthCa:

The words of a typical JOHESUite, all loud, aggressive and tinkling cymbal, but bereft of sense or meaning.

Only in a sham of a country called Nigeria do we have your type feeding doctors. Have you fed the doctors abroad with your "fat" paycheck?

Abeg swerve inside gutter jarey, you're just an attention seeking distraction of a troll. I've indulged your sorry ass enough. No go to bed with sweet dreams that you blasted a doctor and put him in his place.

You make too much noise to have any worthy stuff tucked inside your skull. There are nurses, physios Scientists who pay your salary.

Elizabeth holmes had training as a medical laboratory technician (not even a Scientist) yet paid the salary of physicians and medical professional in the US you may never be qualified and educated enough to do their laundry.

Get lost in your world of buffoonery if you think you can continue to spite Med Lab. Scientist because you bear interprofessional grudges with them.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Laird(m): 12:19pm On Jul 22, 2018
It's a Simple but Appearingly Perplexed Issue;

As A Medical Student; I paid several traffic fines despite sometimes claiming to be rushing to the hospital.

I sometimes bought drugs despite being a Medical Student

I paid for exams, fees, books, extra exams etc and medical education is not cheap even in Anerica

Practicing Now; I have bills and expenses which are paid for in cash. Rents, buy branded drugs occasionally for.myself, fuel or commercially transport myself, pay cable bills which gotv cut offs if no payment is made, electricity bills, I still feed well for the work I do, I buy professional outfits, I pay yearly practice fees, I go out once in a while if Bae pushes,; pay for haircut, cream, toiletries, internet and mobile.phone bills, .
Mechanic or electrician won't hear please Give Me free service. Drug or drip seller won't hear give Me free Drugs or drips or free syringes. My food seller won't hear give Me free food because I am a doctor
I owe it my duty to my employer to ensure people pay for the HealthCare services they want...the same way My Barber, flat security, vulcaniser, food seller, bikeman, petrol seller, recharge card seller, Mechanic, Fela's Shrine lounge UPFLOOR BOUNCER who Collected 500 each for Me and My Partner to just Seat on the upstair floor of the Balcony, demand for money for services rendered

Some patients come in in Emergency with relatives screaming and crying, When the Doctor has fought and broken protocols like taking extra time and energy to attend to the patient, personally collecting drugs and materials on credit to use for the emergency patient from the pharmacy, some patients when they begin to feel a little bit better begin to query why they are in the hospital, rundown the effort and resources the doctor and nurses put in stabilizing the patient, query the bill and will not want to pay and start Insulting the professionals involved. Very few are grateful though
My employer has to pay Me as I have to pay those whose services I make use of so either the patients Health insurance or the patient pays my employer.
A good manual BP machine costs about 30000.
Diagnostic equipment coat Millions. Hospitals pay electricity, water, generator, tax, sewage disposal bills, salaries, print folders, forms, medical.board fees, and these cost money.
Occasional stabilization is fine and urgent referral if Financial payment is an issue.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

80-Year-Old Man Commits Suicide In Lagos / Ladies, See How To Escape Cancer In Your bosom!! / Dr Osahon Enabulele For Inauguration As President Of World Medical Association

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.