Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,990 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment (26973 Views)

Hospitals Demand Child's Tribe Before Treatment / Man Die In Rivers Because Hospital Insist They Get Paid Before Treatment / Stories Of Why Hospitals Insist On Payment First Before Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Awoo88: 7:05am On Jul 18, 2018
Shortyy:
That shít only happens in Nigeria. In other countries, patients are treated first! People's lives matter not here! Even if you're dying here, they'll ask to go and purchase card, wait in line for the doctor SMH
There is no where people are treated first without insurance. In US, if you can not afford treatment you are going to be getting first aid which you will pay by the way before the hospital kick you out.

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by henrygale(m): 7:06am On Jul 18, 2018
Shortyy:
That shít only happens in Nigeria. In other countries, patients are treated first! People's lives matter not here! Even if you're dying here, they'll ask to go and purchase card, wait in line for the doctor SMH

You seem to be the type that would refuse to pay after treatment, and never come back when they magnanimously allow you to go with promise to come back to pay! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by sisisioge: 7:07am On Jul 18, 2018
brownhawk:
health insurance exists but how many can afford it?how many hospitals in Nigeria are well equipped and trained to accept or deny health insurance card or documents. Wtf.most of these hospitals are just equipped with drugs and auxiliary nurses and doctors who don't have standard access. And Oga, pls I hope u are on health insurance, ba?

HMO is every where! At least the substandard facilities we have is able to save 8 out of ten if quick access is granted. Just enable yourself the access is all that is required of you since you can't afford to fly to the US each time you have an emergency.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Shortyy(f): 7:07am On Jul 18, 2018
Awoo88:

There is no where people are treated first without insurance. In US, if you can not afford treatment you are going to be getting first aid which you will pay by the way before the hospital kick you out.
But in Nigeria, even first aid you'll not get. If you don't have card, and see doctor first. No one will attention to you! I I've been there. I know what I'm saying.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by anselm791(m): 7:07am On Jul 18, 2018
this matter is simple from the way I see it. every emergency should be stabilized first, and patient sent home to get money for definite treatment. damn, this should even be in the constitution.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by HSfoundation(m): 7:08am On Jul 18, 2018
tlops:

That is why you are not a doctor or a business person. Assuming you do that for five patients in a month with total cost of time and medicals of about 500k. The patients come promising to pay you but after treatment they start begging you in the name of God. Trying to blackmail you with emotions. Then you don’t have money to replace used medication and cannot pay your struggling staffs, who later cannot pay their own bills. And the chain continues.

The hospital will just become BMC BUHARI MEDICAL CENTRE characterized by no drugs, no consumables, poor amenities and underpaid staff and salary but with good body language

Yeye

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by brownhawk: 7:15am On Jul 18, 2018
sisisioge:

HMO is every where! At least the substandard facilities we have is able to save 8 out of ten if quick access is granted. Just enable yourself the access is all that is required of you since you can't afford to fly to the US each time you have an emergency.
it's like u don't know what substandard is. Or maybe u are limiting medical service to malaria and typhoid drugs. Do u know how health insurance is serviced and with what amount Do u even have an health insurance. Lol. Or u think our national insurance is like the #3500 crap offer u see being advertised on naira land. Anyway. I'll rest my case with u here cost most u of siding hospitals don't even have health insurance neither have u done proper findings on how health insurance is funded by persons and with what amount

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by 86bee(f): 7:15am On Jul 18, 2018
Ds is just one out of alot of cases we experience. There was a patient i used all my energy n resources to treat like dt. See me o to d extent of standing in for ds woman in d lab n pharmacy. Only for me to come and do my routine wardrounds after 1 week n discover she escaped with her mother wen she noticed d nurses were distracted.

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
I understand their reasons for demanding payment or deposit before treating a patient but if I was the one, I would treat the patient regardless of the fact that money wasn't paid because I can't watch a patient die when I can be able to treat him, it's hard though but saving a life is worth it.
Trust me, if u run a private hospital like that, the hospital will run down within a short while. A government hospital might still be able to bear it for a while.
In the state hospitals where I've worked sef, provision for emergency was almost non-existent. The patient's relatives had to buy everything including gloves. Sometimes, I had to dip my hands in my pocket to provide some with funds and even had to borrow from other patients but how many time would one do that?
And like someone said, a lot of people abuse good will. Once the patient is out of the life-threatening state, the relatives or even the patients themselves start misbehaving not considering what u had to pass through to keep him alive.

3 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 18, 2018
V
86bee:
Ds is just one out of alot of cases we experience. There was a patient i used all my energy n resources to treat like dt. See me o to d extent of standing in for ds woman in d lab n pharmacy. Only for me to come and do my routine wardrounds after 1 week n discover she escaped with her mother wen she noticed d nurses were distracted.
Seen a lot of cases like that. There was even a pregnant woman that was rushed in after been mismanaged at a mission house. I had to go to the pharmacy to stand in for the CS materials and medications worth about #20,000. Even had to beg them at the theatre to allow them pay the theatre fees later. After the CS was done and the woman got to the ward, the relatives started complaining about the cost of the whole thing. I had to involve hospital security before they paid the money. Since then ehn........

4 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 7:22am On Jul 18, 2018
dominique:
Hospitals are run with money not goodwill. They have bills staff salaries to pay, supplies are bought with money too. Most of us don't have health insurance yet we expect hospitals to treat us first before collecting money. We're seriously not serious in this country.

That's why most of them like private hospital where they can goan beg doctor to reduce bill or even forgo it sef.

They know no one has their time for govt setting. Hence they tarnish the image of docs in govt settings, telling the world they're useless and worse than private hospitals just so as to get back their pound of flesh.

Only a foolish person will believe a doctor working in a PRIVATE hospital is better than that working in a TEACHING hospital.

4 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by IMASTEX: 7:25am On Jul 18, 2018
thesicilian:

They'll use your blood to stabilize the victim abi?
What of the hospital that will ask you to deposit for blood for in case of emergency need. And when the blood isn't eventually used on the patient at the time of discharge only 50% of the initial deposit was refunded? And no better reason was given why you cant get full refund, well as the blood was donated for free. Still they charge high at the hospital. This happened even in a government hospital recently in my State.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 18, 2018
anselm791:
this matter is simple from the way I see it. every emergency should be stabilized first, and patient sent home to get money for definite treatment. damn, this should even be in the constitution.
Stabilized with what? The only places that I think might have the necessities for emergency are probably federal teaching hospitals and some private hospitals. And even at that, the patients still have to pay for things used or replace them. In a country where health care funding by government is seen as a waste of money, it will be very difficult.

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by hustla(m): 7:26am On Jul 18, 2018
Shortyy:

That is because they have a database and each person has a serial number just like our Bvn. - ssn or sin

No where wey u wan run go especially as they will have your fingerprint too..but in Nigeria, if the person runs away, where will you locate that person?

So blame your government

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 7:27am On Jul 18, 2018
post=69479790:
Still not cool enough.....
No amount of money is worth a life....

So when the hospital exhausts all its materials on "hit & run" patients, what logistics will it use to treat you the day you're in need of aid? When the workers don't get their salaries despite working their asses off, thus can't afford to feed nor clothe their children as a result, because of trying to save another life, what advice will you have for them then?

This is d mentality that'll make Nigerians continue to lose its doctors...just continue...soon enough you'll have no doctor to blackmail anymore except Dr Sid and Small Doctor.

4 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by omakay(m): 7:27am On Jul 18, 2018
sisisioge:
grin grin grin

Funny! We are indeed funny folks in this country. I won't stop saying families should get health insurance for themselves... If you deem yourself eligible enough to get married, please be eligible enough to pay about just a 100k per a whole year premium covering yourself, wife and four kids. This will save you a lot of headache... Don't compromise on this.

If it were possible to hack nairaland and give you 10000 likes, i would do that right now.

You have said the truth

The whole truth

Nothing but the truth.

People acquire assets at the cost of huge funds but cannot get a simple health insurance scheme.

A simple health insurance scheme ooooooooooooo!!!!!

Okay, i think i know where all the H.I.S money is. Its in the church in the form of tithes and offerings!!!!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Awoo88: 7:27am On Jul 18, 2018
Shortyy:

But in Nigeria, even first aid you'll not get. If you don't have card, and see doctor first. No one will attention to you! I I've been there. I know what I'm saying.
We are talking places you are calling Nigeria. Don't you know Nigeria is special?? We do things differently in the wrong way
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by magicminister: 7:29am On Jul 18, 2018
MrBigiman:
I have seen a thousand of such occurrences. Many Nigerians are grossly unreasonable. You save someone at the point of death, wen the person recovers and u give a bill, the story changes. Instead of u to be thanked and payed, you become an enemy. There is something definitely wrong with the black man.

It’s unfortunate you’re still a victim of mental slavery. The fact that you or your family would not act the same way implies that not every black person behaves like that. Nothing is wrong with the black race and just like every race, we have our fair share of idiots!!!

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by anselm791(m): 7:31am On Jul 18, 2018
Vickygarl:

Stabilized with what? The only places that I think might have the necessities for emergency are probably federal teaching hospitals and some private hospitals. And even at that, the patients still have to pay for things used or replace them. In a country where health care funding by government is seen as a waste of money, it will be very difficult.

cannula cost about a hundred naira, and normal saline about one hundred and fifty, you will be amazed at how far these can go for stabilization. doctors took an oath, its about time they start taking it pretty seriously.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 7:31am On Jul 18, 2018
hustla:

That is because they have a database and each person has a serial number just like our Bvn. - ssn or sin

No where wey u wan run go especially as they will have your fingerprint too..but in Nigeria, if the person runs away, where will you locate that person?

So blame your government

Are you minding them, Politician go pass by now them go hail am: "Baba oh! Anything for the boys?" Despite being responsible for their misery. But a poor doc trying to eke out a honest living living for himself and his family is shit in their eyes.

I really pity any Nigerian Doc still having hope in this country. They really dunno they're an endangered specie in this shithole.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by DeOTR: 7:34am On Jul 18, 2018
Pavore9:
That is why it is really important to have a health insurance plan.

It's not that simple.
It has to be where you're registered to receive care. You can't just walk into any hospital and expect to receive care, unless of course, you were referred there from your primary healthcare facility. A lot still has to be done.
The first step is making health insurance mandatory for all.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by PHIPEX(m): 7:34am On Jul 18, 2018
Hospitals need money to survive and they are in business but the occurrence of these kind of things in a particular hospital is low. How many patients are rushed to a specific hospital and fail to pay in a month? If you check well, it may not be more than 5% of their patients. So why watch people die for failing to deposit about 50k.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
I understand their reasons for demanding payment or deposit before treating a patient but if I was the one, I would treat the patient regardless of the fact that money wasn't paid because I can't watch a patient die when I can be able to treat him, it's hard though but saving a life is worth it.

Not at the expense of ur hospital lifespan grin.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by thesicilian: 7:38am On Jul 18, 2018
IMASTEX:

What of the hospital that will ask you to deposit for blood for in case of emergency need. And when the blood isn't eventually used on the patient at the time of discharge only 50% of the initial deposit was refunded? This happened even in a government hospital recently in my State.
You should have asked them why they withheld the 50%.
I wasn't there, but these are the likely reasons:
1. If they actually bought the blood, then there's a time limit after which they can't return it . In such a scenario, they either discard the unused blood, or give it to someone else at a much discounted rate hence the 50% refund.
2. The money they kept back (the other 50%) was for the necessary tests they needed to do, like blood grouping, crossmatching, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Jaidooo(m): 7:39am On Jul 18, 2018
Olalan:
Some Nigerians abuse goodwill.........
Many Nigerians**

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
easier said than ......

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Thegamingorca(m): 7:40am On Jul 18, 2018
Shortyy:

The first aid doesn't come cheap

Nothing is free in even a teaching hospital.

Common dressing pack and suturing the management here will bill you an incredible 500 naira

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Almustaphaaa(m): 7:41am On Jul 18, 2018
Thats what we call pay b4 service
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Thegamingorca(m): 7:42am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
grin grin grin

Guy it's not practicable.

We are not heroes

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by blackgold2018(m): 7:43am On Jul 18, 2018
HolyHero:
Medicine is the nobliest of profession... they can't just have the heart to let someone die
Says who? From experience not all of them. Infant majority are after the money the profession provides.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by DrAmazing: 7:44am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:

If you treat a patient for free today and he escapes, where will you get money to buy supplies to treat the next patient tomorrow? This simple act of "lemme help because I don't want to watch a patient die" is almost always abused by patients and their families, this has led to so many private practices folding up very quickly.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Thegamingorca(m): 7:46am On Jul 18, 2018
post=69479790:
Still not cool enough.....
No amount of money is worth a life....

grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

80-Year-Old Man Commits Suicide In Lagos / Ladies, See How To Escape Cancer In Your bosom!! / Dr Osahon Enabulele For Inauguration As President Of World Medical Association

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.