Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,036 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment (26976 Views)

Hospitals Demand Child's Tribe Before Treatment / Man Die In Rivers Because Hospital Insist They Get Paid Before Treatment / Stories Of Why Hospitals Insist On Payment First Before Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Pavore9: 6:33am On Jul 18, 2018
dominique:
Hospitals are run with money not goodwill. They have bills staff salaries to pay, supplies are bought with money too. Most of us don't have health insurance yet we expect hospitals to treat us first before collecting money. We're seriously not serious in this country.

Many Nigerians feel it is a waste of money having health insurance and still feel hospitals have an obligation to treat before talking of money when there is no assurance of getting paid after treatment.

6 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Asquare84(m): 6:33am On Jul 18, 2018
Remember the youth corp member that was shoot by a policeman in Abuja last two week
Remember the incidence that follow when garki hospital treated the lady free and try to save her life

Now the family of the lady are blackmailing the hospital

Truly Nigerian abuse goodwill

8 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by thesicilian: 6:33am On Jul 18, 2018
Shortyy:
That shít only happens in Nigeria. In other countries, patients are treated first! People's lives matter not here! Even if you're dying here, they'll ask to go and purchase card, wait in line for the doctor SMH
In other countries, a large part of patients bills are taken care of with health insurance put in place by a responsible government. You people should always do your research before opening your mouth in public.

14 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Majesticniyi(m): 6:33am On Jul 18, 2018
Shortyy:
That shít only happens in Nigeria. In other countries, patients are treated first! People's lives matter not here! Even if you're dying here, they'll ask to go and purchase card, wait in line for the doctor SMH

undecided undecided undecided
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by MrBigiman: 6:34am On Jul 18, 2018
Chiedu4Trump:

No be hospital no go threat u with police report when u get shot?

Even with the truth showing that she was attended to. Even with an abdominal drain shown in the picture of her death. We hold on to unhealthy believes and refuse to let go of them even when the truth somehow emerges.

7 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by brownhawk: 6:35am On Jul 18, 2018
dominique:
Hospitals are run with money not goodwill. They have bills staff salaries to pay, supplies are bought with money too. Most of us don't have health insurance yet we expect hospitals to treat us first before collecting money. We're seriously not serious in this country.
u can't blame people for asking for help first. It's not as if we have good access to health insurance. And health breakdown is usually unpredictable and deadly. Moreover not all people have savings habit. Some may have drop saving habit due to lots of responsible demands. The best hospitals could do is not to turn dying people away but to demand for valuable collateral in exchange for immediate service
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by justmi1: 6:37am On Jul 18, 2018
post=69479790:
Still not cool enough.....
No amount of money is worth a life....
but how will they replenish supplies they have used for a dying patient who didn't pay, in other to save life of a future patient? Just thinking. Bad people have made others incredible.

11 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Partnerbiz(f): 6:37am On Jul 18, 2018
We have no means of identification in naija.

Getting that will make everryone responsible..
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by AngelicBeing: 6:37am On Jul 18, 2018
dominique:
shocked

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Thejustw14(m): 6:39am On Jul 18, 2018
Every job's got its downside.:!!:.The medical line is mostly castigated coz of the compassion of life.:!!:.But money is needed to keep the balance.:!!:.
Money is everything.:!!:.I know it ain't though.:!!:.But you've got to be a rich folk to remind me.:!!:.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:39am On Jul 18, 2018
justmi1:
but how will they replenish supplies they have used for a dying patient who didn't pay, in other to save life of a future patient? Just thinking. Bad people have made others incredible.
You make a very good point here also bro.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Shortyy(f): 6:40am On Jul 18, 2018
thesicilian:

In other countries, a large part of patients bills are taken care of with health insurance put in place by a responsible government. You people should always do your research before opening your mouth in public.
What research again should I do? When you just posted my previous comment. Pls kip kwayet
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by iluvpomo(m): 6:40am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
I understand their reasons for demanding payment or deposit before treating a patient but if I was the one, I would treat the patient regardless of the fact that money wasn't paid because I can't watch a patient die when I can be able to treat him, it's hard though but saving a life is worth it.
Yeah right .... easier to post that than actually go out and do it.

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by mfm04622: 6:41am On Jul 18, 2018
nuti:
Let govt ensure that National health insurance scheme covers all these emergency cases

It does if you have Health Insurance. Do you have Health Insurance? How many people have Health insurance in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by IbnAbdullah1(m): 6:42am On Jul 18, 2018
Drinokrane:
Surely, no amount of money is worth a life, but after reading these tweets, you might understand why Nigerian hospitals insist on receiving payment before they treat ailing patients.

Tweets shared by various Twitter users narrate incidents where doctors, out of the goodness of their hearts, treated patients for free, only to end up with a debt that the family members refused to pay.

Read tweets below;

https://www.torimill.com/2018/07/twitter-users-explain-why-hospitals-insist-on-payment-before-treatment.html

When you see something such as these you just cringe with fear.
Nigerians are no different from their leaders, there is hardly any difference.
I personally hate owing people no matter what.
Even if my wife(s) have some other need for money while I am in debt I would rather settle that debt than make her happy while somebody is breathing down my neck.
Debt is so bad that it ruins good will and relationships.
People should learn to pay up what they owe because everyone has got a family to feed.
How would it feel if somebody who is owing you some money you suddenly see that same person buying some material things more than what he/she is owing you.
To God, the sight can really be psychologically devastating.
We should learn to pay people what we owe them.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by desthan(m): 6:42am On Jul 18, 2018
There was a senerio we had to convey a man who was hit by a lady to the hospital, only to be told to deposits a huge amount before they could start any form of treatment. Now this was about 1pm, we paid and left only to be called by the hospital at 2.30pm that the man is dead.

We rushed to the hospital and the family of the man were accusing the hospital of not doing anything even after pay ment. undecided
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by HSfoundation(m): 6:43am On Jul 18, 2018
Odikwa serious
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by mfm04622: 6:44am On Jul 18, 2018
Majesticniyi:

With what, please? Drugs and injections bought from suppliers with goodwill? Truth is, it is no way the hospitals' fault. Blame the government with no sustainable health insurance scheme for citizens.

You can't blame the government on this. There is a functioning Health Insurance Scheme in Nigeria that provides cover for only 15,000 per year. That is about 1,250 per month. Yet, many Nigerians don't avail themselves of it. So don't blame government for this

3 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by mfm04622: 6:48am On Jul 18, 2018
thesicilian:

There is health insurance in Nigeria. It was put in place by OBJ along with the pension sceme. Reason i respect OBJ with his wuruwuru ways.

There are two ways you fund Health Insurance scheme. 1, ask people to buy insurance (Nigerian way) or 2, deduct it along side other taxes. We all know second option won't work in Nigeria for now. It is left for people to buy the scheme in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by HSfoundation(m): 6:49am On Jul 18, 2018
phr0nesis:
I was in an emergency unit of a hospital recently when I saw an assault victim in serious pain. I later confirmed that he was stitched at night but was denied pain killers just because he was yet to pay for those.

And you didn't pay for him Good Samaritan

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by mfm04622: 6:50am On Jul 18, 2018
brownhawk:
u can't blame people for asking for help first. It's not as if we have good access to health insurance. And health breakdown is usually unpredictable and deadly. Moreover not all people have savings habit. Some may have drop saving habit due to lots of responsible demands. The best hospitals could do is not to turn dying people away but to demand for valuable collateral in exchange for immediate service

Whose fault is it they don't have access to Health Insurance? It is surely their fault! Health Insurance exist in Nigeria. They should take advantage of it

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by RichManPikin(m): 6:51am On Jul 18, 2018
Still not worth the peace of Mind u get when you save life cry
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Oblitz(m): 6:51am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
I understand their reasons for demanding payment or deposit before treating a patient but if I was the one, I would treat the patient regardless of the fact that money wasn't paid because I can't watch a patient die when I can be able to treat him, it's hard though but saving a life is worth it.

I love you for what you just said.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by nawtyme: 6:57am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
You are not a doctor. If you are, you just graduated.

4 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by tlops(m): 6:59am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
That is why you are not a doctor or a business person. Assuming you do that for five patients in a month with total cost of time and medicals of about 500k. The patients come promising to pay you but after treatment they start begging you in the name of God. Trying to blackmail you with emotions. Then you don’t have money to replace used medication and cannot pay your struggling staffs, who later cannot pay their own bills. And the chain continues.

8 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by HSfoundation(m): 7:00am On Jul 18, 2018
brownhawk:

Like what sir? I mean the collateral to ask from tgem grin
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 7:01am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
so if you administer treatment worth 100k on a person, only for that person to bail without paying, are you willing to foot the 100k bill yourself? And if so, how many 100k bills can you foot monthly on your meagre salary? I don't think you got the point of the OP.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by brownhawk: 7:01am On Jul 18, 2018
mfm04622:

Whose fault is it they don't have access to Health Insurance? It is surely their fault! Health Insurance exist in Nigeria. They should take advantage of it
health insurance exists but how many can afford it?how many hospitals in Nigeria are well equipped and trained to accept or deny health insurance card or documents. Wtf.most of these hospitals are just equipped with drugs and auxiliary nurses and doctors who don't have standard access. And Oga, pls I hope u are on health insurance, ba?
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by sisisioge: 7:02am On Jul 18, 2018
grin grin grin

Funny! We are indeed funny folks in this country. I won't stop saying families should get health insurance for themselves... If you deem yourself eligible enough to get married, please be eligible enough to pay about just a 100k per a whole year premium covering yourself, wife and four kids. This will save you a lot of headache... Don't compromise on this.

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by henrygale(m): 7:02am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:

Just imagine that you keep treating everyone like that without any payment made by them, by the time u will treat the 10th to 20th patient, U would have run out of supplies of basic things to use, and where will you get those from? Aren't you gonna buy dem? Except you run a charity hospital, or have a good supply of funds for running the hospital, my dear, u will just close shop!
I have seen a fair part of these ill metted out to medical practitioners and it is disheartening.
Where I practise, I have a shelf filled with folders of patients who are owing us as far back as 2010, whom we allowed go after much begging and several promises to pay up, but who didnt show up till today; except they show up this morning sha.
And when I calculate the money involved, it runs into millions. Now who is at a loss? Not watching a patient die is easier in a public hospital because it is government owned and the more reason govt should make health insurance compulsory, but in a private hospital struggling to exist, it might be a lil hard except if the hospital has a good financial base.

4 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by inoki247: 7:03am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:

out of goodwill u will plunge ur sef to debt paying back the hospital for alot of years.. if u haven't experience dat u will still b nice until debt start chocking u nd u av family to feed at home...

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by brownhawk: 7:04am On Jul 18, 2018
HSfoundation:

Like what sir? I mean the collateral to ask from tgem grin
house documents, vehicle or bike documents, land documents, educational or BSc documents. Name whatever valuable documents. Any of these signed with an agreement form.

#think

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

80-Year-Old Man Commits Suicide In Lagos / Ladies, See How To Escape Cancer In Your bosom!! / Dr Osahon Enabulele For Inauguration As President Of World Medical Association

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.