Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,319 members, 7,811,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment (26968 Views)

Hospitals Demand Child's Tribe Before Treatment / Man Die In Rivers Because Hospital Insist They Get Paid Before Treatment / Stories Of Why Hospitals Insist On Payment First Before Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Jaqenhghar: 9:16am On Jul 18, 2018
HolyHero:
Medicine is the nobliest of profession... they can't just have the heart to let someone die
Not in Nigeria. The doctors will watch you die even after you have paid for everything. They will watch you and wont blink.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Hahnemann: 9:17am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
I understand their reasons for demanding payment or deposit before treating a patient but if I was the one, I would treat the patient regardless of the fact that money wasn't paid because I can't watch a patient die when I can be able to treat him, it's hard though but saving a life is worth it.

I'm sure u will gladly watch ur hospital liquidate because humanitarian services you render to ingratitude patients
It is easy for u to say because u were not d one

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by AkpaMgbor(m): 9:18am On Jul 18, 2018
tlops:

That is why you are not a doctor or a business person. Assuming you do that for five patients in a month with total cost of time and medicals of about 500k. The patients come promising to pay you but after treatment they start begging you in the name of God. Trying to blackmail you with emotions. Then you don’t have money to replace used medication and cannot pay your struggling staffs, who later cannot pay their own bills. And the chain continues.
But assuming the patient rushed in is a friend of the doctor or a family member, will help wait for police report or deposit before attending to the patient?
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by AkpaMgbor(m): 9:20am On Jul 18, 2018
sshyne:

You have a good heart but let's be realistic, how many lifes do you wanna save before you run into debts and your hospital folds up. I really don't blame those that request for money before treatment. Some people will make you pity them at the end of the day they run after treatment. The solution is to make sure majority of Nigerians are on health insurance scheme. It's gonna help that way
Again I ask, what if the patient who was rushed in to the hospital is a family member or a close friend will the said doctor demand for police report or deposit before attending to the patient?
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 9:25am On Jul 18, 2018
desthan:
There was a senerio we had to convey a man who was hit by a lady to the hospital, only to be told to deposits a huge amount before they could start any form of treatment. Now this was about 1pm, we paid and left only to be called by the hospital at 2.30pm that the man is dead.

We rushed to the hospital and the family of the man were accusing the hospital of not doing anything even after pay ment. undecided

You must understand that paying money doesn't guarantee your survival. Infact the earlier you pay the better, because there's always a time frame when it comes to health issues.

This is the reason why you should pester and blackmail your govt to ensure NHIS is widespread & functional.

I personally hate working in a private setting cos of all these money issues, I love to focus in the job and save lives, but I know for that to continue, I also need to make money. If only the government can be held responsible for the health sectors failure and not the health workers.

Perhaps then and only then will there be an improvement in the country's health index.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 9:30am On Jul 18, 2018
RichManPikin:
Still not worth the peace of Mind u get when you save life cry

Nothing concern you, your own na just to "save life".

Even if the doctor has to goan steal to fund his hospital.
Afterall when they're about to lynch him he'll tell them RichManPikin said: "still not worth the peace of mind u get when you save life".

Or when his workers dump his sorry ass hospital due to lack of funds to pay his workers, he'll do the work of everyone in the hospital since "he's a doctor!!!, he took an oath!!!"

Just continue saying nonsense okay?

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by DozieInc(m): 9:34am On Jul 18, 2018
Quite pathetic... most times I don't blame hospital management, if they continue free treatment sooner there won't be a hospital.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 9:34am On Jul 18, 2018
Awoo88:

There is no where people are treated first without insurance. In US, if you can not afford treatment you are going to be getting first aid which you will pay by the way before the hospital kick you out.

Bwahahahaha! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 18, 2018
mfm04622:

Whose fault is it they don't have access to Health Insurance? It is surely their fault! Health Insurance exist in Nigeria. They should take advantage of it

A lot of people are ignorant of this. I know that some responsible pple like my family are aware though. We even use a private health insurance company, hygeia. They have different packages. There are numerous private health insurance companies in Nigeria too. Many companies (indigenous and multinational) use them for their staff and their families. They just deduct from their salaries.

Trust some greedy Nigerians though, they'll rather buy a new car to flaunt or waste and gamble money than get insurance for the most important thing in their life. When they now fall seriously ill they'll turn to beggars, disturbing the responsible pple. And they keep comparing themselves to America. America where ur compelled to have health insurance as an adult. Mscheew!

3 Likes

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 9:37am On Jul 18, 2018
anselm791:
this matter is simple from the way I see it. every emergency should be stabilized first, and patient sent home to get money for definite treatment. damn, this should even be in the constitution.

Our leaders might be corrupt but they're not daft, so I think that's why it's not in our constitution.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 9:40am On Jul 18, 2018
86bee:
Ds is just one out of alot of cases we experience. There was a patient i used all my energy n resources to treat like dt. See me o to d extent of standing in for ds woman in d lab n pharmacy. Only for me to come and do my routine wardrounds after 1 week n discover she escaped with her mother wen she noticed d nurses were distracted.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Trust Nigerians at your peril.

They take advantage of people's trust in them and they're not ashamed of it, heck they even brag about it!

The average Nigerian sees paying for health as a curse, even if they have the money, they'll rather abscond.

Nigeria must be cursed.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 9:50am On Jul 18, 2018
omakay:

If it were possible to hack nairaland and give you 10000 likes, i would do that right now.

You have said the truth

The whole truth

Nothing but the truth.

People acquire assets at the cost of huge funds but cannot get a simple health insurance scheme.

A simple health insurance scheme ooooooooooooo!!!!!

Okay, i think i know where all the H.I.S money is. Its in the church in the form of tithes and offerings!!!!!!

This is epic my brother!
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 9:51am On Jul 18, 2018
magicminister:

It’s unfortunate you’re still a victim of mental slavery. The fact that you or your family would not act the same way implies that not every black person behaves like that. Nothing is wrong with the black race and just like every race, we have our fair share of idiots!!!

Waoh, I dey gbadun the last statement meen. The thing dey sweet me for belle.

In other words, no race has the monopoly of idiots!!! *in Yahaya Bello's voice...
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by thesicilian: 9:53am On Jul 18, 2018
QualityHealthCa:

Nigerians are responsible for corruption not the politicians. Amaechi rightly said: "we steal because you don't stone us"

Health insurance money meant to be borne by government is squandered on government recurrent expenditures and lavish lifestyle, yet we ask "anything for the boys?" when they flash our commonwealth in our faces.

But when the doctor asks for his right, we transfer our aggression to him with correct stoning.

Nigerians are wonderful people! cheesy

Indeed we are wonderful people. There's a lot of misplaced anger against doctors and hospitals in this country, it's unsurprising that they the doctors and nurses are leaving the country in droves.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 9:54am On Jul 18, 2018
PHIPEX:
Hospitals need money to survive and they are in business but the occurrence of these kind of things in a particular hospital is low. How many patients are rushed to a specific hospital and fail to pay in a month? If you check well, it may not be more than 5% of their patients. So why watch people die for failing to deposit about 50k.

So they should wait first for the hospital to collapse

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by thesicilian: 9:55am On Jul 18, 2018
IMASTEX:

I was even the one that asked, if it wasn't used what happens? Because i was kind of certain it might not be used. I was told right there that only 50% is refundable with no explanations whatsoever.
1. I'm not sure of it been bought. It was the blood bank of the government hospital that the whole deal took place. They even have free donation centre just at the front which was even running as at the time.
2. Will that translate to paying #16k for two pan of blood. You can only get back #8k. And you're also told to wait until someone else pay for blood from which you can get the said refund.
There may be some unscrupulous people in the system tarnishing the image of the many good ones though.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 9:55am On Jul 18, 2018
Thegamingorca:

The first aid doesn't come cheap

Nothing is free in even a teaching hospital.

Common dressing pack and suturing [/b]the management here will bill you an [b]incredible 500 naira

Can anyone sense the paradox in this statement?
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 9:57am On Jul 18, 2018
blackgold2018:
Says who? From experience not all of them. Infant majority are after the money the profession provides.

So it's a crime to be after money for a job well proffered?
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 10:01am On Jul 18, 2018
jaxxy:

Both my parents were practitioners in the govt federal and state. I understand u very well. I didn't study same cos i didn't hv the passion or heart to do wat doctors do bt i have alot of respect for them. The professional ones. They deserve accolades.

Reserve your accolades to your "professionals".

Since your own definition of professional is someone who treats you for free and let's you walk away.

I don't need your accolade nor respect, na just the wayo wey una Nigerian Patients dey use fleece doctors, now our eye don tear after our ear don hear am.

Not to worry, you'll still have enough "professional" doctors in Nigeria. So no stress bra.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by larrybabanla(m): 10:10am On Jul 18, 2018
Exwizard:
Pls when is premier league starting?
so u dnt av data to check,
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by sisisioge: 10:12am On Jul 18, 2018
brownhawk:
it's like u don't know what substandard is. Or maybe u are limiting medical service to malaria and typhoid drugs. Do u know how health insurance is serviced and with what amount Do u even have an health insurance. Lol. Or u think our national insurance is like the #3500 crap offer u see being advertised on naira land. Anyway. I'll rest my case with u here cost most u of siding hospitals don't even have health insurance neither have u done proper findings on how health insurance is funded by persons and with what amount

Gibberish! Spoken like the word itself! Enjoy your day biko.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by docayo: 10:12am On Jul 18, 2018
Ayoswit:
I understand their reasons for demanding payment or deposit before treating a patient but if I was the one, I would treat the patient regardless of the fact that money wasn't paid because I can't watch a patient die when I can be able to treat him, it's hard though but saving a life is worth it.

Then how do you pay staff salaries? How do you replenish medical supplies? How do you power your generator etc. You can be certain that they will always tell you that they don't have any money at the end of the day. I run a private practice and I am speaking from first hand experience. I have had several experiences with Keke accident victims and the story is always the same in the end. I have learnt to refer them to the Teaching hospital if they don't have money.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by jaxxy(m): 10:17am On Jul 18, 2018
QualityHealthCa:

Reserve your accolades to your "professionals".

Since your own definition of professional is someone who treats you for free and let's you walk away.

I don't need your accolade nor respect, na just the wayo wey una Nigerian Patients dey use fleece doctors, now our eye don tear after our ear don hear am.

Not to worry, you'll still have enough "professional" doctors in Nigeria. So no stress bra.

My definition of professional is making the right decisions based on the issue at hand. I never said treat for free or allow patient walk away without payment. Bt u do understand the importance of time saving lives.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 10:19am On Jul 18, 2018
jaxxy:

My definition of professional is making the right decisions based on the issue at hand. I never said treat for free or allow patient walk away without payment. Bt u do understand the importance of time saving lives.

Continue deceiving yourself. You'll meet yourself where you put yourself.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by jaxxy(m): 10:35am On Jul 18, 2018
QualityHealthCa:

Continue deceiving yourself. You'll meet yourself where you put yourself.

Nobody shud know the value of life better than a doctor. I expect exceptional professionalism from them. Its the lack of it dats destroying this country. I also know the govt is contributing to our poor health care system.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 10:42am On Jul 18, 2018
Jaqenhghar:

Even with the money. Even with the buying its not like anything is done. This is a serious problem and you are here laughing about it You can laugh about it because like anyone in this shithole it doesnt concern you. End of the month you get your money thats all

E be like sey na wetin dey pain you gangan be this. Sey doctors go get their money for services rendered.

You prefer they suffer like everyone else. This I believeis your grouse, your grievance.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by docayo: 10:43am On Jul 18, 2018
jaxxy:

Nobody shud know the value of life better than a doctor. I expect exceptional professionalism from them. Its the lack of it dats destroying this country. I also know the govt is contributing to our poor health care system.

You are just interested the obligations of doctors to society. What of the obligations of society to doctors? I mean government and patients.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 10:45am On Jul 18, 2018
jaxxy:

That's d major issue, whack the doctors on the head and just pat the government on the palm.

As I said, continue deceiving yourselves, that I'm sure will help improve Nigeria's health index.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by QualityHealthCa: 10:46am On Jul 18, 2018
docayo:

You are just interested the obligations of doctors to society. What of the obligations of society to doctors? I mean government and patients.

Nobody cares about that one na, afterall, the duty of a doctor is to die for a patients.

I believe it's in the oath!!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by jaxxy(m): 10:52am On Jul 18, 2018
docayo:

Im only speaking on emergency situations not even case a doctor handles are emergency ones. Professionalism is for all professions. In this case doctors shud treat human lives with respect and fulfill their call/obligation to save them where need be. Thats all im saying. Money for treatment can be sorted along side or afterwards. I know the govt has failed in the health care system and dats is a factor affecting general performance.

A professional does all he can to maintain standards to the best of his ability inspite of challenges.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Shortyy(f): 10:53am On Jul 18, 2018
QualityHealthCa:

I just wanted to see the shit face of the person that spewed this bollocks, and to be honest I'm so disappointed that a cute girl like you could spit such horseshit.
Your health care sucks! Kiss the truth.
Re: Twitter Users Explain Why Hospitals Insist On Payment Before Treatment by Shortyy(f): 10:54am On Jul 18, 2018
Thegamingorca:

Whom may be attending to other emergencies. Shut your trap and stop being self centred
Fvck off. Truth is bitter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lagos Hospital Allowed Baby To Die, Dumps Corpse Near Waste Bin - Family Member / 80-Year-Old Man Commits Suicide In Lagos / Ladies, See How To Escape Cancer In Your bosom!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.