Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,531 members, 7,816,297 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (311) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (795663 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by heeedreeez: 9:04pm On Feb 22, 2019
Hi guyz, I have 3 admissions(2PhD and 1Msc) and one pending decision(Msc) for fall 2019. I am still waiting for graduate assistantship decisions from the three schools. However, I have been asked to send in SOA for the three schools in order to process I20. My question is, can i send one SOA to the three schools to generate three I20s because i don't know the exact school that might give me assistantship before fall 2019 resumption. thanks.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Gospelozy(f): 9:37pm On Feb 22, 2019
Please guys, is taking a part time program for masters in the States a red flag or is it a normal thing?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 10:05pm On Feb 22, 2019
Gospelozy:
Please guys, is taking a part time program for masters in the States a red flag or is it a normal thing?

Yes. You won't even get visa for a part time program.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by hansmond93: 10:27pm On Feb 22, 2019
heeedreeez:
Hi guyz, I have 3 admissions(2PhD and 1Msc) and one pending decision(Msc) for fall 2019. I am still waiting for graduate assistantship decisions from the three schools. However, I have been asked to send in SOA for the three schools in order to process I20. My question is, can i send one SOA to the three schools to generate three I20s because i don't know the exact school that might give me assistantship before fall 2019 resumption. thanks.

Congratulations on your admission decisions.
From what I have read here, I think your I-20 has to show that you have funding for the VO's at the embassy to actually believe that a school has decided to fund u during your interview.
If you go ahead and forward SOA to receive ur I-20s, your I-20 may likely show that you have a sponsor different from your proposed funding. You may later need an updated I-20 to show that your have Assistantship/funding when u end up getting funded. So, why not relax till you get funding before requesting for your I-20...

I stand to be corrected as this may not be entirely correct.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by twittycutey(f): 10:43pm On Feb 22, 2019
Good evening to the gurus on this forum, please I need someone to clarify this for me. What do they mean if a school says that "assistantships are only available to graduate students regularly accepted into a degree program or academically eligible (must be enrolled full-time into a specific degree program )"
Does it mean that an applicant into a program ( not yet admitted ) cannot apply for their graduate assistanship?
Please I need answers. Help me a sister. This is my first time of applying?
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 11:15pm On Feb 22, 2019
twittycutey:
Good evening to the gurus on this forum, please I need someone to clarify this for me. What do they mean if a school says that "assistantships are only available to graduate students regularly accepted into a degree program or academically eligible (must be enrolled full-time into a specific degree program )"
Does it mean that an applicant into a program ( not yet admitted ) cannot apply for their graduate assistanship?
Thanks

Most schools don't have separate application for Graduate Assistanship. So it's awarded to those admitted to a degree program. For schools that have separate application, you can apply for GA after you have gotten admission as your student number will be requested when you are filling the assistantship form.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by heeedreeez: 11:27pm On Feb 22, 2019
In some admission letter, they state clearly that you have been offered admission into regular degree program. Hence, i think in this case, you need to be admitted before applying for assistantship.

twittycutey:
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by heeedreeez: 11:29pm On Feb 22, 2019
Thank you for the hint, I'll just spread my mat and relax

hansmond93:

Congratulations on your admission decisions.
From what I have read here, I think your I-20 has to show that you have funding for the VO's at the embassy to actually believe that a school has decided to fund u during your interview.
If you go ahead and forward SOA to receive ur I-20s, your I-20 may likely show that you have a sponsor different from your proposed funding. You may later need an updated I-20 to show that your have Assistantship/funding when u end up getting funded. So, why not relax till you get funding before requesting for your I-20...

I stand to be corrected as this may not be entirely correct.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Abigalbee98(f): 11:51pm On Feb 22, 2019
Chiezzh:
ANY ETSU APPLICANT HERE FOR FALL 2019?
u are the one calling yesterday ryt
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Davidkking(m): 12:15am On Feb 23, 2019
Guys abeg is Utah valley university a red flag?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by 1stdami(m): 1:14am On Feb 23, 2019
Abigalbee98:
u are the one calling yesterday ryt

� hello, are you at ETSU?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by PortableGlo: 1:25am On Feb 23, 2019
Hello house
Am new here but I wanna ask a question.
Does the school you applied to/ gained admisson to send your documents to the embassy or consular office where your scheduled for interview? please i need answer to this.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Auditmonkey(f): 2:54am On Feb 23, 2019
Any UTDallas alumni or student here? I have a few questions about applying for assistanships.

I have been admitted for the MS accounting program and awarded the Deans Scholarship($1000 plus in-state tuition waiver) for Fall 2019.

I want to know if I can start applying for assistanships now, or do I have to wait till after first semester first? And if anybody can explain the process, I'd be extremely grateful.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by PortableGlo: 3:41am On Feb 23, 2019
please guys... Is Pacific state university California a red flag?

pls i need answers to this. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by domex007: 3:46am On Feb 23, 2019
Davidkking:
Guys abeg is Utah valley university a red flag?

no. i have a friend there
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Rickramzy(m): 4:36am On Feb 23, 2019
Good morning every one, I'm new here, I have been reading this thread, following it from the past threads, its been helping.
I got admission at Houton Community College, I have gotten my I-20, I was given Biological Science (Biology) please who has idea on this course and what it can offer back here in Nigeria?
I'm going as a sec school grad, going for four years course at the College in US,
And please how and where in Abuja can i pay my servis fee(i-901), do agents pay servis fee?

Please guys help me out with these questions, i may have more questions later.
My interview is by March.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by shayhune: 5:08am On Feb 23, 2019
seunnuga:

Yes, I did. Let me PM u.
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I can't access the account I used for this NL account at the moment, hence my inability to respond to PMs. I'm glad you found this forum. There's a wealth of information here for free. Just keep following and reading past/present posts. In no time, your aspirations would be fulfilled.

Also, I can deduce from your previous question that you intend to fund your studying here in the US. Please don't. I've seen guys live miserable lives here all in the name of hustling to pay bills and tuition. Try to get some scholarship, even if it's just tuition waiver. That will go a long way in settling in easily when you eventually come over. I wish you all the best.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by domex007: 6:02am On Feb 23, 2019
PortableGlo:
Hello house
Am new here but I wanna ask a question.
Does the school you applied to/ gained admisson to send your documents to the embassy or consular office where your scheduled for interview? please i need answer to this.

the school sends your admission letter and i-20 to you directly usually through fedex. goodluck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by seunnuga: 6:26am On Feb 23, 2019
shayhune:

Unfortunately, I can't access the account I used for this NL account at the moment, hence my inability to respond to PMs. I'm glad you found this forum. There's a wealth of information here for free. Just keep following and reading past/present posts. In no time, your aspirations would be fulfilled.

Also, I can deduce from your previous question that you intend to fund your studying here in the US. Please don't. I've seen guys live miserable lives here all in the name of hustling to pay bills and tuition. Try to get some scholarship, even if it's just tuition waiver. That will go a long way in settling in easily when you eventually come over. I wish you all the best.

Wow! Thanks a lot for this advise.

I wanted to know your name. Since you said you recognize me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Rickramzy(m): 7:22am On Feb 23, 2019
Rickramzy:
Good morning every one, I'm new here, I have been reading this thread, following it from the past threads, its been helping.
I got admission at Houton Community College, I have gotten my I-20, I was given Biological Science (Biology)

1. please who has idea on this course and what it can offer back here in Nigeria?

2. I'm going as a sec school grad, going for four years course at the College in US how well will the VO see this

3. I learnt I was supposed to say I applied to more than two schools, please someone should help and suggest an affordable University and a college too, aprt from the one i applied so can research on them.

Please guys help me out with these questions, i may have more questions later.
My interview is by March.

Please I'll appreciate it if someone helps me out in my questions
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Mikel2150: 7:43am On Feb 23, 2019
Please someone help me with this. I'm applying for an undergraduate study and am told to send my result to the school(high school records) please is this just my O level result or. All secondary program.Help a brother in need
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2Smile(m): 7:49am On Feb 23, 2019
Auditmonkey:
Any UTDallas alumni or student here? I have a few questions about applying for assistanships.

I have been admitted for the MS accounting program and awarded the Deans Scholarship($1000 plus in-state tuition waiver) for Fall 2019.

I want to know if I can start applying for assistanships now, or do I have to wait till after first semester first? And if anybody can explain the process, I'd be extremely grateful.
What are the funding options mentioned on the Department website. Is your program under JSOM(Javel Jindal School of Management)and is it classified as STEM ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Auditmonkey(f): 8:08am On Feb 23, 2019
Time2Smile:

What are the funding options mentioned on the Department website. Is your program under JSOM(Javel Jindal School of Management)and is it classified as STEM ?

Thanks for the response. My program is under JSOM. It's not STEM. On the website, the scholarship and assistanships are mentioned.

However, it seems that the admission application, scholarship and assistanship require separate applications.

I submitted a separate application (essay) for the scholarship. But I do not know how to go about the application for assistanship and I don't understand the rules as stated on the website.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2Smile(m): 8:35am On Feb 23, 2019
Auditmonkey:

Thanks for the response. My program is under JSOM. It's not STEM. On the website, the scholarship and assistanships are mentioned.

However, it seems that the admission application, scholarship and assistanship require separate applications.

I submitted a separate application (essay) for the scholarship. But I do not know how to go about the application for assistanship and I don't understand the rules as stated on the website.
Ok. If I will be honest with you, funding is not readily available for Social Sciences and Arts especially at Masters level. You already have in state tuition which cuts your tuition in half, and the truth is that that there are a lot of Chinese and Indian students ready to pay the fees.

However, the good thing is that JSOM is highly ranked, has excellent alumni network and really help with job placement. Dallas economy is really doing well and there are a number of big companies with headquarters or substantial presence in Dallas.

I checked the website and it seemed only enrolled students can apply for a Graduate Assistantship. I think you can try to apply once you get your net ID and password if you accept the admission. But am afraid you it is really after a semester that you will be seriously considered for an assistantship. The other option you can explore is on campus job, and even those are few and far between. So, I will advise you to consider your options carefully. I really should be asleep.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Auditmonkey(f): 8:51am On Feb 23, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to give this response. I actually thought the same thing but I just wanted to be sure.

Time2Smile:

Ok. If I will be honest with you, funding is not readily available for Social Sciences and Arts especially at Masters level. You already have in state tuition which cuts your tuition in half, and the truth is that that there are a lot of Chinese and Indian students ready to pay the fees.

However, the good thing is that JSOM is highly ranked, has excellent alumni network and really help with job placement. Dallas economy is really doing well and there are a number of big companies with headquarters or substantial presence in Dallas.

I checked the website and it seemed only enrolled students can apply for a Graduate Assistantship. I think you can try to apply once you get your net ID and password if you accept the admission. But am afraid you it is really after a semester that you will be seriously considered for an assistantship. The other option you can explore is on campus job, and even those are few and far between. So, I will advise you to consider your options carefully. I really should be asleep.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by PortableGlo: 9:21am On Feb 23, 2019
Ok thanks
domex007:

the school sends your admission letter and i-20 to you directly usually through fedex. goodluck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by PortableGlo: 9:26am On Feb 23, 2019
Ok thanks.[quote author=PortableGlo post=76020464][/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 10:30am On Feb 23, 2019
Rickramzy:
u

Thanks sp very much it took me ages to get this link never knew it can be this easy, I really appreciate!

Be careful though, make enquiry well before using them
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ubigurl: 11:23am On Feb 23, 2019
Goodmorning beautiful people ,i love the work you guys are doing here thanks and God bless. Please i am confused and need the best suggessions ,please dont read my post and pass without helping. I am a mum of two toddlers 4 and 3 years old and we have a running b1/b2 vis a and plan to further my studies in the usa ,i have a bachelors degree in chemistry from a nigerian university with a gpa of 2.6/5.0 .My initially plan was to go for my masters in chemistry but i feel it will be very tasking and almost impossible running a masters with 2 kids all by myself and the possibility of getting a good paying job is not that high and someone suggested my going for my PHD after my masters,im not sure i want to spend that long schooling,my second option is to go apply to a community college for a chemistry programme (just to get a an f1 visa at the embassy),or do i just get to the us and then get a school and apply for a f1 visa instead of passing through all the hurdles in nigeria embassy then when i get to the usa i change it to nursing (run a 2 year programme in nursing ) and upgrade my RN to BSN with time. I still dont know if this is a better option for me and please what are the best ways to get assistantship for this programmes. please help me out.

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.