Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,433 members, 7,812,288 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

"Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady (53587 Views)

What Country Abroad Is The Best Where I Can Study A Professional Course? / Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Babyvet: 4:34pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

So, you all actually think that non-citizens are eligible for all those food stamps you hear of? Do you know the implication of receiving those benefits at all?

Yes, receiving benefits when you are not qualified can prevent that person from gaining citizenship in the future and they can be criminally charged.Below is a link on qualifications for receiving foods stamps.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/snap-policy-non-citizen-eligibility

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 4:36pm On Aug 16, 2018
Sourcethe:
She is an idiot. She must be lazy from birth. As a student you are entitled to work. In America you can wake up and get a job that will put food on your table within 24 hours. Can you get that in Nigeria

Where do you guys get erroneous information like these from?
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 4:43pm On Aug 16, 2018
trapQ:
Girl don't act like you know it all. I know exactly what my friend does and she's 100% legit. There is always a way where there seems none. I'm not a novice and have much travel experience to know these things. There are so many things you can do to earn legit in America which don't involve full time or off campus jobs. Even here in Nigeria you have people crying for jobs but thousands of opportunities abound which they're blinded to.

Why not mention what your friend does and let's see if it's truly legit?

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 4:45pm On Aug 16, 2018
Babyvet:

Yes, receiving benefits when you are not qualified can prevent that person from gaining citizenship in the future and they can be criminally charged.Below is a link on qualifications for receiving foods stamps.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/snap-policy-non-citizen-eligibility

That is what I'm trying to tell that guy lefulefu who is saying she could just go get food anywhere. Does he know that doing that on a student visa makes you a public charge in the US? Does he know the implication of this?
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

That is what I'm trying to tell that guy lefulefu who is saying she could just go get food anywhere. Does he know that doing that on a student visa makes you a public charge in the US? Does he know the implication of this?
when i applied in some of these foreign schools i saw the section they highlighted the things u have to pay for when u get the addmission. U pay for ur tuition fee,ur SUG fee,then u pay for the meals,then for accomodation that will be provided for the school if u choose to reside on campus. A friend of my mom...her son is doing medicine in the ukraine. Now ukraine is a poor country by european standards but the guy said they get fed by the school and the food is satisfying and cheap. The west has its problem but food will be the least of their problems. Where u might feel the pinch when buying food is nigerian meals cos nigerian meals are damm expensive there.Nobody is saying the west is easy and a place where u pluck money with ease but for a place where the system works and where u can get a menial job to support ur schooling i dont see why someone would be whining about the west being unfair to him.afterall those nigerians that work and school over dere no get five heads.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 5:11pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:
when i applied in some of these foreign schools i saw the section they highlighted the things u have to pay for when u get the addmission. U pay for ur tuition fee,ur SUG fee,then u pay for the meals,then for accomodation that will be provided for the school if u choose to reside on campus. A friend of my mom...her son is doing medicine in the ukraine. Now ukraine is a poor country by european standards but the guy said they get fed by the school and the food is satisfying and cheap. The west has its problem but food will be the least of their problems. Where u might feel the pinch when buying food is nigerian meals cos nigerian meals are damm expensive there.Nobody is saying the west is easy and a place where u pluck money with ease but for a place where the system works and where u can get a menial job to support ur schooling i dont see why someone would be whining about the west being unfair to him.afterall those nigerians that work and school over dere no get five heads.

You keep getting the whole thing wrong. And the big problem with you is that you keep dwelling on hearsay. You are talking about your friend here or there. Have you been to these countries yourself to experience what it actually feels like? You can't just be passing judgements based on what you hear. Now, I can't talk about Ukraine or any other country except America which is where I live. Do you know that the side hustle or menial jobs you are talking about is illegal if you are a student in the US? And your friends doing these things without five heads, what happens when they get caught? In addition, it's different for everybody. You can't compare someone studying in the US on a scholarship with someone who has no scholarship. You can't compare someone who studies in a cheap school with someone in an expensive school. You can't compare someone who has an EAD with someone who doesn't. You don't know the situation of this lady in question, and you don't know the typical situation of your friends. So, don't just make baseless comparisons.

4 Likes

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Babyvet: 5:17pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:

When you say menial job, what type of jobs are you talking about? Are you implying that they work under the table? Any legitimate place is suppose to check to make your allowed to work in the United States. If they are caught, the place can be fined and the worker can get in trouble. Like a previous poster said, there are work limitations when your here on student visa because your goal is to come here to study. Some school programs also prevent people from working even for the native born residents because the curriculum is tough, like medical school. Things are more tough theses days and they check things more properly now. A lot of people can not get citizenship now because of the illegal things they did in the past.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

You keep getting the whole thing wrong. And the big problem with you is that you keep dwelling on hearsay. You are talking about your friend here or there. Have you been to these countries yourself to experience what it actually feels like? You can't just be passing judgements based on what you hear. Now, I can't talk about Ukraine or any other country except America which is where I live. Do you know that the side hustle or menial jobs you are talking about is illegal if you are a student in the US? And your friends doing these things without five heads, what happens when they get caught? In addition, it's different for everybody. You can't compare someone studying in the US on a scholarship with someone who has no scholarship. You can't compare someone who studies in a cheap school with someone in an expensive school. You can't compare someone who has an EAD with someone who doesn't. You don't know the situation of this lady in question, and you don't know the typical situation of your friends. So, don't just make baseless comparisons.
i dont want to argue guy. If u feel moving out of your hometown is bad for you u can forever remain in ur comfort zone.nobody is forcing you to travel out na or are they? Ppl will migrate to where they want to migrate to cos from time immemorial humans have been migratory beings. Whoever wants to travel out has the freedom to travel out but the most important thing to have in mind is have a clear mission on what u going to do there and be well financed. If travelling is bad for u dat doesnt mean it should be bad for everybody.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 16, 2018
Babyvet:

When you say menial job, what type of jobs are you talking about? Are you implying that they work under the table? Any legitimate place is suppose to check to make your allowed to work in the United States. If they are caught, the place can be fined and the worker can get in trouble. Like a previous poster said, there are work limitations when your here on student visa because your goal is to come here to study. Some school programs also prevent people from working even for the native born residents because the curriculum is tough, like medical school. Things are more tough theses days and they check things more properly now. A lot of people can not get citizenship now because of the illegal things they did in the past.
K
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Babyvet: 5:23pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:
i dont want to argue guy. If u feel moving out of your hometown is bad for you u can forever remain in ur comfort zone.nobody is forcing you to travel out na or are they? Ppl will migrate to where they want to migrate to cos from time immemorial humans have been migratory beings. Whoever wants to travel out has the freedom to travel out but the most important thing to have in mind is have a clear mission on what u going to do there and be well financed. If travelling is bad for u dat doesnt mean it should be bad for everybody.

I think your misunderstanding him. If you want to travel to a country, know the laws of the land you are going too. Just because your friend or relative got away with doing something, does not mean you will too.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 5:30pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:

I'm currently in the US, and what you're saying is not even in any way related to the subject of discourse. If you want to be defensive, at least you should do it logically. This misyarn wey you just do no follow at all. Instead make una humble learn, una go just dey misfire.

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Beautyaddy: 5:31pm On Aug 16, 2018
Why would people on US student visa subject themselves to applying for US loans?

How do they plan on paying for it?

I was under the belief that applicants who were granted US student visas gave the VO's the impression that they would be able to afford the total cost of school attendance without resulting into getting loans.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

I'm currently in the US, and what you're saying is not even in any way related to the subject of discourse. If you want to be defensive, at least you should do it logically. This misyarn wey you just do no follow at all. Instead make una humble learn, una go just dey misfire.
learn wetin from u ogini? Abeg i dont want to argue with u.if u feel that yankee is hell for u then naija border is still much open for u. Trump wont prevent u from coming back to settle in nigeria.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 5:42pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:
learn wetin from u ogini? Abeg i dont want to argue with u.if u feel that yankee is hell for u then naija border is still much open for u. Trump wont prevent u from coming back to settle in nigeria.

I no talk sey make you learn from me. Even the OP, you no wan learn from her. The person wey you wan learn from na your friend's friend wey dey yankee dey take side hustle build manshion for naija. Kontinu.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by NothingDoMe: 5:42pm On Aug 16, 2018
Rockyrascal:
una too like food smiley
My brother food is like air. You can't live without it.....for long
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

I no talk sey make you learn from me. Even the OP, you no wan learn from her. The person wey you wan learn from na your friend's friend wey dey yankee dey take side hustle build manshion for naija. Kontinu.
dont be surprised if the twitter girl dat op shared the story posted that story from the comfort of her home in ojuelegba.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 5:44pm On Aug 16, 2018
Beautyaddy:
Why would people on US student visa subject themselves to applying for US loans?

How do they plan on paying for it?

I was under the belief that applicants who were granted US student visas gave the VO's the impression that they would be able to afford the total cost of school attendance without resulting into getting loans.

The school and embassy require proof of financial support for the entire cost of attendance for the first year of studies. When life happens after the first year, students may have to resort to loans.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 5:47pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:
dont be surprised if the twitter girl dat op shared the story posted that story from the comfort of her home in ojuelegba.

Lol, possibly. However, that does not dispel the fact that there are truths in some of those words, because there are people here experiencing what she described, and they aren't lazy. The main way to make it comfortably here in the US if you come on a student visa is to have enough money before coming, or get scholarships/grants. Without either of these, life can be hell, and most students in that situation will eventually fall out of status. Once you fall out of status, you have only one solution; marry a US citizen!
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by djon78(m): 5:50pm On Aug 16, 2018
Let me say it again schooling in us is not easy. You must have enough financial back up or a relative to get an iota of progress.
My cousin that went to do his masters in 2013, his dad paid then 3.5 million for his school fees, then he was given extra money.

Over there he got job. But it was menial. Can't even pay his rent with. Although his saving grace was our aunt a nurse over there has her own house so he was living in her house.

Presently he is just managing life. Not done anything tangible. He did contract marriage to legalize his papers. Even 2 of my sisters that went there to give birth saw the kind life they live over there.

So people should be told the truth.

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 16, 2018
LesbianBoy:
Did I just read Nigerians are "kind" people? We are only kind because we expect something from God grin grin grin grin
lol,...guy abeg na where u come from
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 5:51pm On Aug 16, 2018
djon78:
Let me say it again schooling in us is not easy. You must have enough financial back up or a relative to get an iota of progress.
My cousin that went to do his masters in 2013, his dad paid then 3.5 million for his school fees, then he was given extra money.

Over there he got job. But it was menial. Can't even pay his rent with. Although his saving grace was our aunt a nurse over there has her own house so he was living in her house.

Presently he is just managing life. Not done anything tangible. He did contract marriage to legalize his papers. Even 2 of my sisters that went there to give birth saw the kind life they live over there.

Them no go hear. Even many US citizens still struggle, let alone someone on a student visa. Student visa of all types of visas.

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Lol, possibly. However, that does not dispel the fact that there are truths in some of those words, because there are people here experiencing what she described, and they aren't lazy. The main way to make it comfortably here in the US if you come on a student visa is to have enough money before coming, or get scholarships/grants. Without either of these, life can be hell, and most students in that situation will eventually fall out of status. Once you fall out of status, you have only one solution; marry a US citizen!
i am not saying there are no challenges u will experience when u travel out. But to say she no see food chopcheesy...who believes dat? If she said her parents or guardian was unable to pay her tuition and she's experiencing diffculty over that cos the school is threatning to whitdraw her..i go believe dat one. But to say she no see food chop,she is homeless haba na how will dat be easy to believe.you travelled all to the way to the US as a student and just became homeless. So are there no campus hostels? Maybe next she will be telling us that she's suffering powercut and now using generator in america cos the american govt is unable to provide electricity.Not everything on social media should be believed.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Beautyaddy: 5:55pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

The school and embassy require proof of financial support for the entire cost of attendance for the first year of studies. When life happens after the first year, students may have to resort to loans.

Now that's the problem.

That requirements has led to more than a number of student visa holders to drop out school when they can no longer afford that high total cost of school attendance after the first year and the ones who do get loans end up not being able to pay it back which results into their credit being destroyed.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by resurgent2019: 6:01pm On Aug 16, 2018
djon78:

But why do you wanna discourage people from leaving Nigeria? Is it that your misery loves company or what?

You know we have argued this issue on another thread?
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Beautyaddy: 6:02pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:
i am not saying there are no challenges u will experience when u travel out. But to say she no see food chopcheesy...who believes dat? If she said her parents or guardian was unable to pay her tuition and she's experiencing diffculty over that cos the school is threatning to whitdraw her..i go believe dat one. But to say she no see food chop,she is homeless haba na how will dat be easy to believe.you travelled all to the way to the US as a student and just became homeless. So are there no campus hostels? Maybe next she will be telling us that she's suffering powercut and now using generator in america cos the american govt is unable to provide electricity.Not everything on social media should be believed.

That's not impossible to say the least. Depending of where she attends school some areas of renting are very expensive to just afford on a minimum wage talk less of working part-time on the same minimum wage.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

. The main way to make it comfortably here in the US if you come on a student visa is to have enough money before coming, or get scholarships/grants. citizen!
na now u don talk the main truth. Not all dat abroad is hell or u can never make it overseas yearning wey some of una dey yarncheesy. If u want to travel then be financially prepared. Thats d main point of it all.its just like those ppl dat travel thru libya to europe and they think they will live a grand life.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 6:02pm On Aug 16, 2018
Beautyaddy:

Now that's the problem.

That requirements has led to more than a number of student visa holders to drop out school when they can no longer afford that high total cost of school attendance after the first year and the ones who do get loans end up not being able to pay it back which results into their credit being destroyed.

You are right. But that is the best they can ask for. Imagine asking to show proof of financial support for the entire duration of studies! Then, this means that no one will be able to travel to the US for studies. How will anyone be able to show proof that they got all it requires financially for study for four years in the US. Where will an international student find a proof of $120K to $200K. If the US government starts doing this, then there will no longer be international students in the US, and the US will suffer severely for this, so they dare no try it! Don't forget, they need international students in the US, otherwise their graduate programs will shut down! So, it is not like they are all so really benevolent doing us a favour like that, they actually do need us here.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 6:08pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:
na now u don talk the main truth. Not all dat abroad is hell or u can never make it overseas yearning wey some of una dey yarncheesy. If u want to travel then be financially prepared. Thats d main point of it all.its just like those ppl dat travel thru libya to europe and they think they will live a grand life.

I'm sure no one has ever said you can never make it overseas. This is just what people in Nigeria try to accuse us of doing whenever we just try to tell them some truths. And regarding overseas being hell, trust me, it can be worse than hell sef if you are not here with legal papers. And when I say legal papers, I mean green card. Now, how many people in Nigeria are trying to come to the US with green cards. Most people in Nigeria trying to come to the US do not have the money needed to support themselves here, they are actually coming because they are suffering in Nigeria and need a better life. So, when you say be financially prepared, how many people are indeed financially prepared? Thing is, even without being financially prepared, you can still make it here, however, you will need to get involved in illegal stuffs such as working without authorization. During this time, you will experience a little bit of the hell. If you are lucky, you will pull through, otherwise, omo, life fit be tough o especially if you no find woman wey you wan marry, because that's your only escape route.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by djon78(m): 6:09pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Them no go hear. Even many US citizens still struggle, let alone someone on a student visa. Student visa of all types of visas.

My first sister that went to deliver her baby, do you know my relatives over there collected her daughters social security number because her baby got her American passport after delivery. It really caused serious problem between she and her husband. The second one that went. That my sister dey mean she told them point blank never. They reported her to my mum that they will deal with her.

The only relatives I know that are doing very well two of them are top medical doctors. It took them time but presently they are big time professionals
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Babyvet: 6:10pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:

Okay so have you secured any visa?
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 6:12pm On Aug 16, 2018
djon78:

My first sister that went to deliver her baby, do you know my relatives over there collected her daughters social security number because her baby got her American passport after delivery. It really caused serious problem between she and her husband. The second one that went. That my sister dey mean she told them point blank never. They reported her to my mum that they will deal with her.

The only relatives I know that are doing very well two of them are top medical doctors. It took them time but presently they are big time professionals

Exactly, yet someone in Nigeria who has no skill, no much education, no money, will be planning to come to America on a student visa and expect to make it big just like that. Even the doctors who went to medical school have huge loans to pay off. In those days, it used to be easy for Nigerian doctors to just come here and start working, now that USMLE process is very difficult, and most doctors who come here from Nigeria start by doing master's in public health, but still do not find their way to residency; hence, they end up settling for something like nursing, yet, it still takes years for them to arrive there. How much more someone who has no legal papers?

2 Likes

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by resurgent2019: 6:17pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Exactly, yet someone in Nigeria who has no skill, no much education, no money, will be planning to come to America on a student visa and expect to make it big just like that. Even the doctors who went to medical school have huge loans to pay off. In those days, it used to be easy for Nigerian doctors to just come here and start working, now that USMLE process is very difficult, and most doctors who come here from Nigeria start by doing master's in public health, but still do not find their way to residency; hence, they end up settling for something like nursing, yet, it still takes years for them to arrive there. How much more someone who has no legal papers?

So your contention now is that you don’t want Nigerians to come to America anymore? Just be specific with your objective on this thread.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

VACATION: Mid-Air Pictures Of How Another Airplane Accompanied Our Flight. / ₦250k Fare: Lagos To Anambra/Asaba Flight Almost Empty (Video) / I Drove Through The 3rd Mainland Bridge Before Closure (pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.