Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,495 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard (75593 Views)

Tinubu Hosts Sanwo-Olu, Ambode, GAC Members In Lagos / Sanwo-Olu Attends Completion Ceremony Of GAC Assembly Plant In Lagos (pics) / Adeleke Storms Out Of Eid After Clash With Ajibola Basiru, Ex-Senate Spokesman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by cuteboy2: 8:28am On Sep 30, 2018
Ahead of All Progressives Congress, APC, governorship primary in Lagos State, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and the Governor’s Advisory Council, GAC, yesterday, endorsed Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu for the party’s ticket for the 2019 elections.

In a reaction, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, also in the race for the party’s ticket, said 237 Councillors, 3,900 Community Associations were supporting him.

Meanwhile, the state chapter of the APC has postponed the governorship primary, scheduled for today, to tomorrow.

Announcing the outcome of the GAC meeting, held at Tinubu’s Ikoyi, Lagos residence, to party loyalists that had stormed the Lagos APC Secretariat, Senator Anthony Adefuye, a member of the group, said that the meeting, which commenced at 10am, ended after several hours of deliberations.

He said: “There was a GAC meeting held this morning, which was attended by Vice President Osinbajo; Majority Leader of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila; Speaker, House of Assembly, Mudasiru Obasa, among others.

“This meeting was chaired by our National Leader, Tinubu. This is a meeting that we started at 10am. And we couldn’t finish early. After the meeting, I have been mandated by the GAC to announce this to you.

The governorship primary, earlier scheduled for tomorrow, September 30, has been shifted to Monday, October 1.

“Also, the GAC was informed by Dr Obafemi Hamzat of his decision to graciously step down and he endorsed Jide Sanwo-Olu.

“GAC has endorsed Babajide Sanwo-Olu as its preferred candidate ahead of the primary,”

Adefuye disclosed that Tinubu had earlier planned to address the party members at the state APC secretariat but could not leave his residence “because various organs of the party had decided to meet him on other issues in the state.”

A source told Sunday Vanguard that the leadership of the party may have agreed to give the deputy governorship ticket to Hamzat, who stepped down for Sanwo-Olu, leaving the incumbent Governor Akinwunmi Ambode and Sanwo-Olu to slug it out for the party’s ticket.

It was also gathered that Ambode, who attended the meeting of the GAC at Tinubu’s residence, stormed out in the course of the deliberations apparently due to the unfavorable stance to his candidacy.

Why I stepped down – Hamzat

Hamzat, who addressed journalists, yesterday, morning shortly after meeting with Sanwo-Olu in his Ikoyi, Lagos residence, said he decided to step down based on the shared vision he had with Sanwo-Olu on the future direction of the state.

Hamzat, an aide to the Minister of Works, Lands and Housing, Dr. Babatunde Fashola, was, however, quick to discountenance the claim that it meant a reconciliation between the Abuja and Lagos groups. He said that such insinuation of a feud was implausible given that Tinubu was the political father of everyone of them involved in the contest.

Speaking after the meeting, Hamzat, who was flanked by Sanwo-Olu, his wife, Dr. (Mrs.) Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu, his (Sanwo-Olu’s) campaign manager, Mr. Tayo Ayinde and Otunba Lekan Osifeso, said:

“After due consultations with my numerous supporters and in deference to the wise counsel of those I consider my political mentors, I have resolved to step down from the governorship race in Lagos on the platform of our party and, instead, poll resources together with my brother and friend, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

“So, my supporters are hereby directed to vote for Sanwo-Olu to emerge the candidate of the APC in the primary scheduled for tomorrow (today) across the state.”

Source : https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2018/09/lagos-apc-osinbajo-tinubu-gac-seal-ambodes-fate-endorse-sanwo-olu/amp/

2 Likes

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by cuteboy2: 8:35am On Sep 30, 2018
Continued..... Page 2

Lawmakers back Sanwo-Olu

In a related development, members of the state House of Assembly unanimously expressed support for Sanwo-Olu as the candidate of the APC in the 2019 governorship election in the state.

According to a statement by the Chairman of the House Committee on Information, Strategy and Security, Adefunmilayo Tejuoso, the decision was taken at a meeting of the lawmakers which took place yesterday.

The meeting was presided over by Speaker Mudashiru Obasa. Of the 40 members of the House, 36 were present at the meeting and all endorsed the decision and duly signed the statement announcing the decision.

The lawmakers stated that they were in agreement with the leadership of the party and the GAC which had endorsed Sanwo-Olu for the governorship ticket.

The statement read: “At the parliamentary meeting, held on the 29th of September, 2018 at the Lagos State House of Assembly Complex, members do hereby unanimously resolve to support the position of the leadership of All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Governor’s Advisory Council(GAC) in Lagos State on the endorsement of Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu as the APC gubernatorial candidate in the 2019 elections.

“The meeting was attended by 36 out of the 40 Honourable members in the House of Assembly.”

I will be party’s candidate – Ambode

Reacting to the situation, last night, Ambode asked his supporters to remain calm and peaceful, saying the will of the people will prevail and he will become the party’s flag bearer for next year’s elections.

The Director General, Ambode Mandate Support Group, AMSG, Hakeem Sulaimon, disclosed this during a press briefing in Ikeja, arguing that the governor’s status alone was a tool that would swing votes in his favour during the primary.

Sulaimon stressed that Ambode was capable of winning the APC governorship primary.

The DG noted that Ambode was not worried about the rash of endorsements of Sanwo-Olu ahead of the primary, saying Ambode has huge supporters across the state.

He disclosed that supporters of the governor held meetings across all 20 local governments and 37 local council development areas, on Friday, and that the support for the governor was overwhelming.

“We had a meeting here yesterday and the Chairman of all LGA Chairmen in Lagos State was here and she spoke on behalf of her colleagues as having endorsed His Excellency Mr Akinwunmi Ambode. Here also yesterday, we equally had about 200 ward chairmen here in that meeting and they were equally led by their chairman who is the chair of chair of all ward chairmen in the state,” Sulaimon said.

“You see, what truly constitutes the structure of the party is the ward and of course the LGA. Beyond the ward and the LGA, we also have the Councilors because we have 377 of the creation of Lagos State Councilors; we have 377 of the creation of Lagos State ward chairmen and so on.

“But again, just this morning, we had an assembly of over 237 Councilors here and at the end of the day, in giving the vote of thanks, one of them stood up to say they were now convinced beyond any reasonable doubt that the only person that would work for their interest and that they have realized that the most endangered political class are the councilors and that they would ensure that they work for His Excellency the Governor in their respective wards and they have assured us that we would get victory.

“We have had also groups within the party, we have had the Ndigbos who are party members; we have had market men and women who are party members and of course the biggest endorsement any one can ever get can only come from Community Development Committee (CDCs) and Community Development Associations (CDAs) because everyone of us is a member of one CDA or the other and if all the 3900 CDAs in Lagos State have openly endorsed His Excellency and their representative still came here yesterday to affirm that same endorsement and if you look at this as translating to acceptance, those who are claimed to have endorsed the others, we are supposed to do direct primary if we are going to do that anyway and in direct primary, every vote must count; and at the stakeholders meeting today, 85 per cent of the people in that assembly are actually supporters of Mr Akinwunmi Ambode.”

‘Show of Sportsmanship’

Also, yesterday, the Director General of Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu Campaign Organisation (BOSCO), Mr. Tayo Ayinde, described the decision of Hamzat to step down for his principal as a show of sportsmanship.

Ayinde made the remarks in a statement by BOSCO’s Director of Publicity, Sesan Daini.

2 Likes

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 8:37am On Sep 30, 2018
grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by inkon: 8:42am On Sep 30, 2018
Ambo needs to be a man for once.

112 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by dafemnet: 8:48am On Sep 30, 2018
Tinubu's reign is coming to an end in lagos.I said it first here,God is with Ambode.

136 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by millhouse: 8:48am On Sep 30, 2018
inkon:
sure he has agreed to go into the direct primaries contest and accept the outcome ..but why a last minute twist of tongue by the party elders that he should step down completely to allow Sanwolu as the consencous candidate .. ?

139 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by cuteboy2: 8:50am On Sep 30, 2018
inkon:

Being a man for once will lead him to political golgotha. I'm not crying for him anyway. I have always described him as a bus stop governor.

He does not have what it takes to successfully fight the political establishment that produced him. And after they kick him out, he dare not open his mouth to rat on the financial malfeasance of his godfather, the Jagaban himself. Else, he will rot in EFCC cell till his brain returns to factory settings grin

137 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by AgbariOjukwu1: 8:53am On Sep 30, 2018
Hotfreeze:
Politics lesson no 1: The most important people in politics are voters, not supporters.

Most of those supporting Ambode don't vote in Lagos.
Most of those voting in Lagos don't support Ambode.

100%

88 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by cuteboy2: 9:11am On Sep 30, 2018
dafemnet:
Tinubu's reign is coming to an end in lagos.I said it first here,God is with Ambode.

How did you come about this conclusion? Did you see vision?

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by gaby(m): 9:37am On Sep 30, 2018
I'm truly beginning to believe that there is something inherently not right with Ambode.

An almost 100% gang-up of this nature would be technically impossible for an incumbent Governor who is truly open, approachable and acceptable by all party faithful. It's even difficult to pinpoint anyone standing with him aside from the opposition waiting to capitalize on his misfortune to try exploiting it.

He's apparently not a politician but an administrator.

I feel sorry for him though, but at least he is settled and will live to be referred to as an ex-Governor of Lasgidi.

Enjoy my siggy

136 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:40am On Sep 30, 2018
I don't understand this much ado about nothing!

I mean it's not as if Tinubu performed half of Ambode's achievements when he was the governor undecided

The jazz Tinubu is using on these people must be strong!

Ambode was working though he has some loose ends to tie so what is ALL these drama about

Mtcheeew
Tinubu is the leader
He is the contractor
He is the commissioner
He PRO
He is the tax collector
He is everything!

How will Ambode even perform when he is not in charge undecided

Ambode's biggest mistake is not borrowing a leaf from Fashola

He allowed Tinubu to dictates for him undecided
Then he was known as Tinubu's boy!

He (Ambode) still couldn't please him neither did he please Lagosians

If the people of Lagos are still willing to give him a chance, why can't Tinubu do the same

93 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by romenna: 9:41am On Sep 30, 2018
He dined with the devil with his bare hands.

6 Likes

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by wristbangle: 9:47am On Sep 30, 2018
Wiseandtrue:

I mean it's not as if Tinubu performed half of Ambode's achievements when he was the governor undecided

Ambode was working though he has some loose ends to tie so what is ALL these drama about

Mtcheeew
Tinubu is the leader
He is the contractor
He is the commissioner
He PRO
He is the tax collector
He is everything!

If the people of Lagos are still willing to give him a chance, why can't Tinubu do the same

It's because you're not living in Lagos. Ambode is a step down from Fashola and Tinubu performance.

Are you telling me you are pleased with the environment filth and poor road condition in the state?

Fashola was at loggerhead with Jagaban but his excellent performance spoke for him.

185 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 30, 2018
Ambode na overblown ballon...

Give a fight man...

8 Likes

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 30, 2018
I made the first comment on this thread and one silly mod removed it Again!
Thunder will soon fire some people

11 Likes

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Hotfreeze: 9:54am On Sep 30, 2018
Let him be storming about like an overgrown bully.
Today is Primaries. Let him contest.

If he wins, we'll give him the treatment that was given to Maryam Ali in 2007 in Delta state.

2 Likes

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Hotfreeze: 9:55am On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:
Ambode na overblown ballon...

Give a fight man...

You Igbos are very wicked and evil people. You want to push him to fight but you won't be there to give him a single vote.

Better don't infect Ambode with your bad luck like you did to Adeleke and Eleka.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Benekruku(m): 9:55am On Sep 30, 2018
grin grin grin

The end is here Ambode

Just swallow your pride and back out

7 Likes

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Hotfreeze: 9:55am On Sep 30, 2018
Wiseandtrue:
[s]I don't understand this much ado about nothing!

Mtcheeew
Tinubu is the leader
He is the contractor
He is the commissioner
He PRO
He is the tax collector
He is everything!

[/s]

Most of you talking nonsense don't know what we're facing in Lagos under Ambode.

Let the elections come and those who matter are ready for Ambode. We have a surprise package for him.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by sammyj: 9:55am On Sep 30, 2018
Is it by force to run through the party. If Ambode truly want to rule Lagos let him go to another party and test his popularity. Anyways if you believe Ambode will win the next election click share and like if you believe he will loose.

73 Likes 44 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Hotfreeze: 9:56am On Sep 30, 2018
dafemnet:

Which God is with Ambode? Shuku Obuko Eponmalu or the pythons you worship in your backward cave?

Ambode sacked and humiliated a man of God and God is punishing him for that. I suggest you don't put mouth so that God won't punish you too.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by rentAcock(m): 9:56am On Sep 30, 2018
Ambode the 2nd worst governor in Lagos state history after Maruwa. He shouldn't run for re-election, the man is a disgrace.

18 Likes

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by baliyubla: 9:56am On Sep 30, 2018
The guys ball finally grew bigger.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by rentAcock(m): 9:56am On Sep 30, 2018
Hahaha
Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 30, 2018
TRIBALISM is worse than RACISM

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Benekruku(m): 9:57am On Sep 30, 2018
Wiseandtrue:

Mtcheeew
Tinubu is the leader
He is the contractor
He is the commissioner
He PRO
He is the tax collector
He is everything!

You are hungry

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Racoon(m): 9:57am On Sep 30, 2018
"Many are the devices in the heart of a man; nevertheless only the counsel of the Lord that shall stand.."-(Proverbs 19:21)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Bobby4090: 9:58am On Sep 30, 2018
Am shocked that a sitting Governor with more than N25 billion internally generated revenue every single month cannot get or buy himself a renomination ticket after 4 years. What was he doing through out? Sleeping on duty?
With half of that amount I'll get myself a presidential ticket in PDP and upstage any God father. This is Nigeria for God sake.
He must have messed up so badly that people are ready to take his money and still vote him out. No wonder he's crying and begging from Bourdilon to Aso Rock. I just wish him luck anyway.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by AlhajaChinyere: 9:58am On Sep 30, 2018
dafemnet:
Tinubu's reign is coming to an end in lagos Abia. I said it first here,God is with Ambode.

4 Likes

Re: Ambode Storms Out Of GAC Meeting - Vanguard by Benekruku(m): 9:59am On Sep 30, 2018
dafemnet:

Which of the Gods? Sango, Oya, Ogun or Esu Laalu

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Diezani Allison-Madueke's House Used As COVID-19 Isolation Centre In Lagos / The Spiritual Side Of Aso Villa By Reuben Abati / Throwback Picture Of Buhari & Hameed Ali In Military Uniform

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.