Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,050 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. (278350 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / 200 Graduates Get N74m, Free Land In Ogun / Irrigation For One Plot Of Land on Low Budget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (127) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by hoyze24: 8:24pm On Dec 20, 2018
okoroemeka:
our cabbage experiment failed,it germinated 50% but start dieing when exposed to sunlight,we treated damping off but it died off,I believe the crop is strongly attached to the weather anything above 25c is trouble,we have done garden egg to plant on the land prepared for the cabbage.at least green garden eggs are heat loving crops they love and cherish the blasting sunlight.
Nice thread. How about watermelon? Does it require such special attention like cukes and other vegies?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 8:29pm On Dec 20, 2018
okoroemeka:
that is the million dollar question, there's never a fixed number of times u will harvest before it all dies off,it depends on management, weather,soil,variety,etc.I think the least number u will harvest even in a downy midrew infested farm is 4-5 times and the maximum is 10-12 times.

If one can harvest a maximum of 10 times on say a plot of land, d person don blow like balloon be that o
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 8:30pm On Dec 20, 2018
okoroemeka:
most of the veggies u mentioned are bolters ,its life depends on weather and temperature. they will be tricky to grow,I have done nursery of green garden egg,

Looking at the number of plants in that nursery, how will u be able to successfully pick them "ONE-BY-ONE" to transfer them to the field?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:45pm On Dec 20, 2018
Yampotatocarrot:

Looking at the number of plants in that nursery, how will u be able to successfully pick them "ONE-BY-ONE" to transfer them to the field?
we will start next week to transplant them in single grow bags they will stay there for another 3-4 weeks before going to the field,they are filling nylon bags with soil and manure now,we need 3000 plantlets and by next week u will see the work,the nursery is bigger in size now it was done 3 DEC that pic is an old pic
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:51pm On Dec 20, 2018
Yampotatocarrot:

If one can harvest a maximum of 10 times on say a plot of land, d person don blow like balloon be that o
a friend planted on a cleared virgin forest,the land has not been cultivated in history of mankind, the guy harvested 15 times,I resisted the temptation of.going.there,the cost of clearing tropical forest jungle is too much i beg
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:56pm On Dec 20, 2018
hoyze24:

Nice thread. How about watermelon? Does it require such special attention like cukes and other vegies?
yes all veggies require attention moreover WM planting is timed with military precision with rainfall pattern,too much rain destroys the crop.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by funsoul: 7:57am On Dec 22, 2018
Please great farmers how do you deal with rodents (suspecting rats) on the farm.
My matured cucumbers are being eaten up by these rodents. Applied rodenticide and the attack stopped for some days n now it has resumed
Is there a more effective way of dealing with these rodents
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ogbongenet: 10:40am On Dec 22, 2018
The best solution to rats problem is cat,its more organic than all this chemical.
funsoul:
Please great farmers how do you deal with rodents (suspecting rats) on the farm.
My matured cucumbers are being eaten up by these rodents. Applied rodenticide and the attack stopped for some days n now it has resumed
Is there a more effective way of dealing with these rodents

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by funsoul: 1:51am On Dec 23, 2018
ogbongenet:
The best solution to rats problem is cat,its more organic than all this chemical.
Thank you. Will definitely consider it
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Functionoftime(m): 8:45am On Dec 24, 2018
okoroemeka:
we harvested it 5 times and got 32 bags then my workers used urea fertilizer on it ,because I traveled to Enugu and the crops died I was hoping we will get 50+bags,but we have replanted it 7 days ago..
Sorry for your loss, but sir, why not go with organic compost. I believe it would reduce losses due to fertilizer application. Please enlighten me
The compost I'm talking about here is the one that would be treated for weeks, if not months.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Functionoftime(m): 8:53am On Dec 24, 2018
Bigfellas:
Hello sir . I am interested in planting cucumber next year. I did a test run around June this year on a plot of land just to gain some experience . I planted directly to the soil. It was a ploughed land . I didn't stake it at all and used just one variety of insecticide which I can't remember the name. didn't apply fertiliser at all. I noticed some came out big while others are just small . I got 3bags at least although I did not measure it. Shared among friends and family. now I really want to give it a go this coming raining season so here are my questions

1.. which month is favorable to plant next?
2..In absence of manure, what could be used as replacement?
3.. Is it compulsory to apply fertiliser?
4.. do you have any idea of buyers around Ilaro, Ogun state cos that's where my farm is located.
5.. which is the best seed to plant.

I will be expecting your reply to this questions and other advice you can give. sent you a message on WhatsApp now. You can reply there or here. Thanks
@okoroemeka, please reply here. Thanks.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by moko123: 8:59am On Dec 24, 2018
U can't compare north becos dey are consistent on agriculture and thier by-product
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:38pm On Dec 24, 2018
Yampotatocarrot:

@yampototocarrot this how the garden egg will grow in single grow bags for some weeks before going to the field,

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:11pm On Dec 24, 2018
Bigfellas:
Hello sir . I am interested in planting cucumber next year. I did a test run around June this year on a plot of land just to gain some experience . I planted directly to the soil. It was a ploughed land . I didn't stake it at all and used just one variety of insecticide which I can't remember the name. didn't apply fertiliser at all. I noticed some came out big while others are just small . I got 3bags at least although I did not measure it. Shared among friends and family. now I really want to give it a go this coming raining season so here are my questions

1.. which month is favorable to plant next?
2..In absence of manure, what could be used as replacement?
3.. Is it compulsory to apply fertiliser?
4.. do you have any idea of buyers around Ilaro, Ogun state cos that's where my farm is located.
5.. which is the best seed to plant.

I will be expecting your reply to this questions and other advice you can give. sent you a message on WhatsApp now. You can reply there or here. Thanks
1.Cucumbers can be grown all year so long u have irrigation but the period for abundant yield is the rainy season but that is also when u have high disease attack.2.manure must be used as basal before planting then u can use NPK and foliar fertilizer to push it.3.yes,at vegetative 20 10 10,flowering 15 15 15 or you can use foliar spray. 4.my area is imo and anambra state, if u are in my axis I will give u one buyer u can't meet up.5,for your area it will be murano 2 f1.but my side is Cu 999.if u are not ready to put manure,fertilizer, stake,spray insecticide and fungicide please forget about cucumber.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 10:07pm On Dec 24, 2018
Functionoftime:

Sorry for your loss, but sir, why not go with organic compost. I believe it would reduce losses due to fertilizer application. Please enlighten me
The compost I'm talking about here is the one that would be treated for weeks, if not months.
yes u are right.we have stopped using chemical fertilizer but we apply foliar fertilizer for micro nutrients, going organic all the way.more stress but u can reuse the same soil indefinitely, we have now planted 6 times with the same soil in our sack farm,we top it with manure every 2 weeks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FMCASH(m): 11:57am On Dec 25, 2018
okoroemeka:
yes u are right.we have stopped using chemical fertilizer but we apply foliar fertilizer for micro nutrients, going organic all the way.more stress but u can reuse the same soil indefinitely, we have now planted 6 times with the same soil in our sack farm,we top it with manure every 2 weeks
I thought you said we should adhere to foliar spray this dry season to avoid burnt?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 4:13pm On Dec 25, 2018
FMCASH:
I thought you said we should adhere to foliar spray this dry season to avoid burnt?
it depends on soil,some soil are so infertile that fertilizer is a must,while some will give a good yield with only manure and foliar sprays,and also in very big farms using manure every 2 weeks is almost impractical,moreover the 1500 batch we planted without chemical fertilizer is out we have harvested twice and it is still like new..inorganic fertilizer is a double edge sword it will give u good healthy crops ,if used well but it will gradually destroy the land,if manure is used on a land it reconditions the soil and the microfauna that the soil can be used indefinitely without losing fertility. if given a choice I will take manure we don't have large lands for crop rotation in the east.and also note that chemical fertilizer do not increase yield it only makes the crop healthy what gives yield is the genetics of the seed,A GOOD YIELD STARTS FROM THE SEED!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FMCASH(m): 9:09pm On Dec 25, 2018
okoroemeka:
it depends on soil,some soil are so infertile that fertilizer is a must,while some will give a good yield with only manure and foliar sprays,and also in very big farms using manure every 2 weeks is almost impractical,moreover the 1500 batch we planted without chemical fertilizer is out we have harvested twice and it is still like new..inorganic fertilizer is a double edge sword it will give u good healthy crops ,if used well but it will gradually destroy the land,if manure is used on a land it reconditions the soil and the microfauna that the soil can be used indefinitely without losing fertility. if given a choice I will take manure we don't have large lands for crop rotation in the east.and also note that chemical fertilizer do not increase yield it only makes the crop healthy what gives yield is the genetics of the seed,A GOOD YIELD STARTS FROM THE SEED!
you're making sense boss

2 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 6:26am On Dec 29, 2018
okoroemeka:
1.Cucumbers can be grown all year so long u have irrigation but the period for abundant yield is the rainy season but that is also when u have high disease attack.2.manure must be used as basal before planting then u can use NPK and foliar fertilizer to push it.3.yes,at vegetative 20 10 10,flowering 15 15 15 or you can use foliar spray. 4.my area is imo and anambra state, if u are in my axis I will give u one buyer u can't meet up.5,for your area it will be murano 2 f1.but my side is Cu 999.if u are not ready to put manure,fertilizer, stake,spray insecticide and fungicide please forget about cucumber.

Now, I wish I'm in IMO, so that I can have that buyer
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 11:44am On Dec 29, 2018
Yampotatocarrot:

Now, I wish I'm in IMO, so that I can have that buyer
the demand for foodstuff around here is terrible,you can even collect the money of prioduce not yet harvested.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Idemujoseph: 6:53pm On Dec 29, 2018
okoroemeka:
the demand for foodstuff around here is terrible,you can even collect the money of prioduce not yet harvested.
Good to hear this! I wish some youths or graduates can engage in Agriculture unemployment rate would have reduce to a great extent.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cocoboms(m): 8:34pm On Dec 30, 2018
okoroemeka:

Sir, have you ever thought about growing a paethernocarpic variety of cucumber?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:29pm On Dec 30, 2018
Cocoboms:

Sir, have you ever thought about growing a paethernocarpic variety of cucumber?
from the little I know,that cucumber variety is only meant for climate controlled greenhouse it produces only female flowers and need no pollination, it is not meant for the open field and will not survive tropical conditions.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cocoboms(m): 9:57pm On Dec 30, 2018
okoroemeka:
from the little I know,that cucumber variety is only meant for climate controlled greenhouse it produces only female flowers and need no pollination, it is not meant for the open field and will not survive tropical conditions.

That's not necessarily true. Some paethernocarpic cukes can survive tropical conditions.i have a friend growing one in kaduna currently. I have also done a very small trial here in abuja. The results were good.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 10:10pm On Dec 30, 2018
Cocoboms:

That's not necessarily true. Some paethernocarpic cukes can survive tropical conditions.i have a friend growing one in kaduna currently. I have also done a very small trial here in abuja. The results were good.
pls how can I get the seed
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 10:41pm On Dec 30, 2018
Cocoboms:

but cocoboms how will u prevent bees from cross pollinating it with other monocieous and gynaocieous varieties
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 4:51am On Dec 31, 2018
okoroemeka:

I am currently putting down my fungicide schedule from ur write up in the first page, since organic might just not cut it for me

U said saaf and ridomil gold every week, then insecticide should only be applied once signs of insect attack are noticed (Laraforce if not fruiting, then actara if crops are already fruiting). Please, any adjustment to this should be stated.

Also, what's the schedule for fertilizer application, although I'm gonna apply poultry manure to the soil in the bag before planting.

Do I need to buy a sprayer to spray them, if not, how do I spray?

Starting with 150 bags, two seeds per bag

#Happy New Year# to everyone on this thread, may it be a year of divine favour for us all, Amen.

2 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:35am On Dec 31, 2018
Yampotatocarrot:

I am currently putting down my fungicide schedule from ur write up in the first page, since organic might just not cut it for me

U said saaf and ridomil gold every week, then insecticide should only be applied once signs of insect attack are noticed (Laraforce if not fruiting, then actara if crops are already fruiting). Please, any adjustment to this should be stated.

Also, what's the schedule for fertilizer application, although I'm gonna apply poultry manure to the soil in the bag ibefore planting.

Do I need to buy a sprayer to spray them, if not, how do I spray?

Starting with 150 bags, two seeds per bag

#Happy New Year# to everyone on this thread, may it be a year of divine fav20our for us all, Amen.
anyone between the two fungicides can do,not necessary the two together its dry season fungal spread is very low.you can also use imiforce insecticide all through very low dosage and very active(5-10 ml per knapsack).20 10 10 NPK at vegetative growth(15-20 days)15 15 15 NPK at flowering (28 days)also spray foliar weekly.yes you will need 15 ltr capacity knapsack.but 150 bags is small now or do u want a pilot program.

2 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cocoboms(m): 11:30am On Dec 31, 2018
okoroemeka:
but cocoboms how will u prevent bees from cross pollinating it with other monocieous and gynaocieous varieties

You'll have to plant that variety alone.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cocoboms(m): 11:35am On Dec 31, 2018
okoroemeka:
pls how can I get the seed

My friend bought her cuke seed from Johnny seeds. They are expensive. Parthenocarpic cuke seeds are usually expensive. But their yield more than makes up for d cost of buying them. The one I bought in Nigeria last 2 years has been discontinued. But East west seeds has a parthenocarpic beit alpha variety in Nigeria called Basimah f1. Very very expensive 1000 seeds cost about 35k. Crazy!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by evelynqueen(f): 1:24pm On Dec 31, 2018
Good afternoon Sir/Ma. I am a broker for a Lagos company. We have DL-Methionine 99% purity, used in livestock feed formulation.
It is available for auction in Lagos. Price is 20,000 per 25kg bag.
Some of the bags has been touched by water during shipping, that's the reason for the auctioning.
Contact me on WhatsApp 08106875262 for further information. Thank you.

P.S: Below are the sample pictures of Methionine

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 3:23pm On Dec 31, 2018
Cocoboms:

My friend bought her cuke seed from Johnny seeds. They are expensive. Parthenocarpic cuke seeds are usually expensive. But their yield more than makes up for d cost of buying them. The one I bought in Nigeria last 2 years has been discontinued. But East west seeds has a parthenocarpic beit alpha variety in Nigeria called Basimah f1. Very very expensive 1000 seeds cost about 35k. Crazy!
blood of Jesus!!!!my brother I can't chance that seed on the open field,it will yield like crazy in an enclosed greenhouse with drip fertigation

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (127) (Reply)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.