Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,973 members, 7,814,308 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. (278383 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / 200 Graduates Get N74m, Free Land In Ogun / Irrigation For One Plot Of Land on Low Budget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (127) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by aka12(m): 2:41am On Dec 17, 2018
Woow, God bless you for the quick response sir. Thanks
okoroemeka:
(1)binding wire is used for tying bamboo,while nylon rope is used for cucumber to climb on.(2)yes u can mix all fungicides, insectides,foliar fertilizer.(3)maxi force is JAT product its in liquid form and its good fertilizer,they are the same contents.(4)again at 28 days and every three harvest.(5)fungicides and fertilizer spray start at 20 day and continue every week till they die.(6)Saaf co recommended 15gram per lknapsack of water,it seem small to us so we made it 25 grams to a knapsack,one pack of 250 gram is used for 10 knapsack.(7)imiforce is better kills aphids,whiteflies and leaf miners(10 ml per knapsack)that fighter will not kill this three trouble makers.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by feran15(m): 1:53pm On Dec 17, 2018
What of the cucumbers in sacks, how are they faring
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cocoboms(m): 5:22pm On Dec 17, 2018
@ okoroemeka,

why don't you grow tomatoes though, I'm wondering, cos the price of tomatoes in the east is so so attractive. A report I got from Nnewi market shows it's still fluctuating around 15k for 50kg basket. Kind of seems like it would be more profitable than cucumber smiley what do you think ?

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 5:33pm On Dec 17, 2018
Cocoboms:
@ okoroemeka,

why don't you grow tomatoes though, I'm wondering, cos the price of tomatoes in the east is so so attractive. A report I got from Nnewi market shows it's still fluctuating around 15k for 50kg basket. Kind of seems like it would be more profitable than cucumber smiley what do you think ?

While we wait for him to answer, I think tomatoes require more care.... Too risky a venture compared to cucumber and even pepper.

Haven't planted t yet, but Jethro has a down-to-earth thread about t
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cocoboms(m): 5:45pm On Dec 17, 2018
Yampotatocarrot:

While we wait for him to answer, I think tomatoes require more care.... Too risky a venture compared to cucumber and even pepper.

Haven't planted t yet, but Jethro has a down-to-earth thread about t

Honestly, I think differently. If you are growing tomato using ground culture, it's not that complicated. It's only when it's rainy season that it's quite hectic becos of the need to trellis.

For tomatoes, you don't have headache with pollination like you do with cukes. For cukes, you have to spray weekly, so I feel if you can do that, you'll have no problem spraying tomatoes weekly, cos they have similar pests.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 6:20pm On Dec 17, 2018
Cocoboms:

Honestly, I think differently. If you are growing tomato using ground culture, it's not that complicated. It's only when it's rainy season that it's quite hectic becos of the need to trellis.

For tomatoes, you don't have headache with pollination like you do with cukes. For cukes, you have to spray weekly, so I feel if you can do that, you'll have no problem spraying tomatoes weekly, cos they have similar pests.

U correct about the pollination stuff, although I didn't have to self pollinate my cukes when I planted them. I'm looking at t that tomatoes require more care, right from the nursery stage till its planted... N they r more susceptible to diseases than cukes

On the commercial aspect, I believe cukes give more return than tomatoes on the sane piece of land (might be wrong with this though)
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:26pm On Dec 17, 2018
feran15:
What of the cucumbers in sacks, how are they faring
we harvested it 5 times and got 32 bags then my workers used urea fertilizer on it ,because I traveled to Enugu and the crops died I was hoping we will get 50+bags,but we have replanted it 7 days ago..

2 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FMCASH(m): 8:56pm On Dec 17, 2018
okoroemeka:
we harvested it 5 times and got 32 bags then my workers used urea fertilizer on it ,because I traveled to Enugu and the crops died I was hoping we will get 50+bags,but we have replanted it 7 days ago..
sorry for the loss bro, does your rain gun works effectively for the sack?
2) did you turn the soil in the sack before replanting or just wet and replant direct?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:16pm On Dec 17, 2018
Cocoboms:
@ okoroemeka,

hmmm,my dear I think in all veggies tomatoes are the most delicate and easily prone to disease,you have to know what you are doing,if any disease enter tomato farm is bye bye to the crop it is unforgiving you have to be consistent on fungicides protocol,but never the less we are flexing to try east west padma 108 f1,its the best or nothing.

2 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:25pm On Dec 17, 2018
Cocoboms:

bacterial wilt,furasurim wilt,mosaic virus,blossom end these are some disease that attack tomatoes, it is not easy as u are saying,if you plant 5 crop at your backyard it will do well,try and plant 2000-3000 on open field and see wahalla from all angles

3 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:31pm On Dec 17, 2018
Yampotatocarrot:

U correct about the pollination stuff, although I didn't have to self pollinate my cukes when I planted them. I'm looking at t that tomatoes require more care, right from the nursery stage till its planted... N they r more susceptible to diseases than cukes

On the commercial aspect, I believe cukes give more return than tomatoes on the sane piece of land (might be wrong with this though)
I have a strong suspicion that cucumbers gives the highest financial return per plot of land,a friend planted weed in the deep bush the returns didn't compare to cukes,so he is now doing veggies cukes and fresh pepper

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:34pm On Dec 17, 2018
FMCASH:
sorry for the loss bro, does your rain gun works effectively for the sack?
2) did you turn the soil in the sack before replanting or just wet and replant direct?
no need wasting time with raingun,hose and pipe will water 500 bags in 30 mins,we just use water pressure to churn the soil then planted

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:49pm On Dec 17, 2018
East west padma 108 f1 tomatoes staked

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:53pm On Dec 17, 2018
okoroemeka:
intensive pruning they removed 80% of the leaves so the plant will focus all its energy in producing flowers and fruits not maintaining leaves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FMCASH(m): 9:55pm On Dec 17, 2018
okoroemeka:
but if u plant more than 2 crops in a sack the watering will increase more than twice daily especially when fruiting, I wander how vanpelle managed to plant 4 in one sack it looks impossible to me.
he planted 4 can and harvested 87 bags I think due too disease.
Moral: over population increase rate by which disease spread.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FMCASH(m): 9:59pm On Dec 17, 2018
okoroemeka:
do you have a manual of this, I also plan to test run 5g padma and avenir 5g next year if time permit.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FMCASH(m): 10:01pm On Dec 17, 2018
okoroemeka:
intensive pruning they removed 80% of the leaves so the plant will focus all its energy in producing flowers and fruits not maintaining leaves.
what's your take if we start pruning cucumber leaves during pruning?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 10:07pm On Dec 17, 2018
FMCASH:
do you have a manual of this, I also plan to test run 5g padma and avenir 5g next year if time permit.
no need testing avenir just plant it,less trouble and more resistance to disease than tomato

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 10:08pm On Dec 17, 2018
FMCASH:
what's your take if we start pruning cucumber leaves during pruning?
pls don't touch cucumbers I beg

2 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FMCASH(m): 10:16pm On Dec 17, 2018
okoroemeka:
no need testing avenir just plant it,less trouble and more resistance to disease than tomato
thanks for the spirit
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FMCASH(m): 10:18pm On Dec 17, 2018
okoroemeka:
pls don't touch cucumbers I beg
thanks very much
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by kyriannelson(m): 11:10pm On Dec 17, 2018
Following I will ask question on chilli pepper later
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by kyriannelson(m): 11:11pm On Dec 17, 2018
Following I will ask question on chilli pepper later
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cocoboms(m): 11:35pm On Dec 17, 2018
Yampotatocarrot:

I must also add that tomato is one of the highest demanded veggies in any market globally, even in our local markets. Every farmer has his or her specialty though.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cocoboms(m): 11:40pm On Dec 17, 2018
okoroemeka:
hmmm,my dear I think in all veggies tomatoes are the most delicate and easily prone to disease,you have to know what you are doing,if any disease enter tomato farm is bye bye to the crop it is unforgiving you have to be consistent on fungicides protocol,but never the less we are flexing to try east west padma 108 f1,its the best or nothing.

That's why the first and most important thing to do is start with d right variety for d particular time of the year. By the way, there's also Emerald f1 tomato seeds by Sakata seeds. It's high yielding and disease resistant. There are some determinate tomato varieties from continental seeds with excellent disease resistance.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cocoboms(m): 11:48pm On Dec 17, 2018
okoroemeka:
bacterial wilt,furasurim wilt,mosaic virus,blossom end these are some disease that attack tomatoes, it is not easy as u are saying,if you plant 5 crop at your backyard it will do well,try and plant 2000-3000 on open field and see wahalla from all angles

Believe me, as an experienced farmer, if you can comfortably do cucumber on a reasonable scale, tomato would not be all that complicated. The weekly spray program you give your cukes is d same spray program you give tomatoes with all d important agrochemicals mixed in d knapsack. There are quality tomato varieties with high resistance to those diseases you mentioned. Blossom end rot would be far from your tomato if you follow your calcium fertilization religiously. All these issues have solution, it all depends on how well you can follow a lay down program for tomato cultivation.

But like I said earlier, every farmer has his or her specialty. There are some crops that give you joy to grow than others.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cocoboms(m): 11:53pm On Dec 17, 2018
okoroemeka:

This picture is not padma sha. Those are cherry tomatoes in d attached picture.

3 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:33am On Dec 18, 2018
Cocoboms:

This picture is not padma sha. Those are cherry tomatoes in d attached picture.
I have even start to wonder if tomatoes can produce like that even in greehouse
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:38am On Dec 18, 2018
Cocoboms:

Believe me, as an experienced farmer, if you can comfortably do cucumber on a reasonable scale, tomato would not be all that complicated. The weekly spray program you give your cukes is d same spray program you give tomatoes with all d important agrochemicals mixed in d knapsack. There are quality tomato varieties with high resistance to those diseases you mentioned. Blossom end rot would be far from your tomato if you follow your calcium fertilization religiously. All these issues have solution, it all depends on how well you can follow a lay down program for tomato cultivation.

But like I said earlier, every farmer has his or her specialty. There are some crops that give you joy to grow than others.
this is encouraging, to do tomato profitable it will be during the rainy season when the Hausa products are off and prices ate high, but that time humidity is high
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:00am On Dec 18, 2018
okoroemeka:
I have a strong suspicion that cucumbers gives the highest financial return per plot of land,a friend planted weed in the deep bush the returns didn't compare to cukes,so he is now doing veggies cukes and fresh pepper

Yeah, the returns on cucumber per plot z really high, only veggies like watermelon n cabbage might rival t... But considering it has shorter harvest time compared to the others, it'll still come top
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cocoboms(m): 12:02pm On Dec 18, 2018
okoroemeka:
this is encouraging, to do tomato profitable it will be during the rainy season when the Hausa products are off and prices ate high, but that time humidity is high

You are right about the rainy season. That's where tomato varieties like padma f1 from east west, cobra 26 f1 from technisem and Emerald f1 from sakata seeds shine brightly above most conventional varieties. There's less pest invasion during d rainy season. Fungal issue and bacterial spot wahala come to d fore.
Here in Abuja markets, tomato price goes up from beginning of April which is when I'm targeting this dry season.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Bigfellas(m): 1:27pm On Dec 18, 2018
Hello sir . I am interested in planting cucumber next year. I did a test run around June this year on a plot of land just to gain some experience . I planted directly to the soil. It was a ploughed land . I didn't stake it at all and used just one variety of insecticide which I can't remember the name. didn't apply fertiliser at all. I noticed some came out big while others are just small . I got 3bags at least although I did not measure it. Shared among friends and family. now I really want to give it a go this coming raining season so here are my questions

1.. which month is favorable to plant next?
2..In absence of manure, what could be used as replacement?
3.. Is it compulsory to apply fertiliser?
4.. do you have any idea of buyers around Ilaro, Ogun state cos that's where my farm is located.
5.. which is the best seed to plant.

I will be expecting your reply to this questions and other advice you can give. sent you a message on WhatsApp now. You can reply there or here. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (127) (Reply)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.