Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,047 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. - Agriculture (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. (278253 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / 200 Graduates Get N74m, Free Land In Ogun / Irrigation For One Plot Of Land on Low Budget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (127) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:57pm On Sep 19, 2019
we also planted an oyibo variety Clemson spineless,we will compare the two to know which is best for huge commercial farm,it's better to fail with 1 plot or 2 ,than with 10-20 plots.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 10:09pm On Sep 19, 2019
okoroemeka:
I don't know what to call this,our okra plants are fruiting without flowering,fruits are everywhere with not even one flower in sight,I know some okra varieties can self pollinate like pepper,but having fruits develop straight without any sign of flowers,I will not deny this is my first time of seeing such,and if it continues like I suspect it will then the nihort NH-Ae47 variety is really full of surprises.
I don't think they are fruits yet. They are flower buds. They wl soon split open to bring out the flowers, then the fruits wl follow.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Cocoboms(m): 12:10am On Sep 20, 2019
Lol....@op, those are okro flower buds. The flower is yet to open. The okro flower is too conspicuous and beautiful to be hidden wink

okoroemeka:
I don't know what to call this,our okra plants are fruiting without flowering,fruits are everywhere with not even one flower in sight,I know some okra varieties can self pollinate like pepper,but having fruits develop straight without any sign of flowers,I will not deny this is my first time of seeing such,and if it continues like I suspect it will then the nihort NH-Ae47 variety is really full of surprises.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by nuel2good: 10:15am On Sep 20, 2019
Wizs2019:
Hello my people, how una dey.

The next season of cucumber is going on well. God is great. So I thought I should update and encourage everyone.

For this season, we planted mostly dark green Darina cultivar but also planted Cu999 (my ever sure!). The total plant population is just over 7000. Some are at Day 28 and others at Day 30. We will be harvesting next week by the special grace of God.

Is anyone using the recipe I posted a few weeks ago? If they are trying please I would love to hear how you're progressing.

Special mentions to my lil bros (Bros Emeka's sons) it's good to see the entrepreneurship spirit! The young shall definitely grow. But Bro Emeka I didn't know you were that old eh wink That's why you also have to be respectful in any platform because you never know the person you interacting with. My only little one is bearly 2 years old, I have a long way to go before he can start his own summer project.

Stay blessed.
Good day Wizs2019,
I observed the trellising was done with bamboo crosslinked with binding wire. Do you ever have a situation where the weight of the cukes pull down the lines or bend over the bamboo poles?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by nuel2good: 10:28am On Sep 20, 2019
Good day Okoroemeka,

Thanks for the enlightenment. I have tried several seasons of cucumber with very little results but have started noting the mistakes I made from your posts on this forum. I have a few questions please:

1. How do you manage furrow irrigation on your farm ie is it just the pumps and delivery hose or are there added equipment and techniques( I must confess it is almost impossible relocating hoses once full)

2. When you use sunphosate for weed control, doesnt it affect the cukes when using furrow irrigation method?

3. Please how did you manage to replant the cukes damaged by rodents? Did you raise a nursery bed in anticipation or you used rodenticides on the seeds?

4. What is your irrigation regime as you had a mixture of furrow and sprinklers?

God bless your hustle.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Wizs2019: 11:08am On Sep 20, 2019
nuel2good:

Good day Wizs2019,
I observed the trellising was done with bamboo crosslinked with binding wire. Do you ever have a situation where the weight of the cukes pull down the lines or bend over the bamboo poles?

Hey,

This happens more than I would like it to especially when there is a strong cross wind. What I try to do is check all the bamboo poles and top wires before every planting season and replace any weak ones. I am still looking for a permanent solution.

PS. From your other question permit me to suggest one thing, For cucumber, drip irrigation is the easiest irrigation solution to have success with as it negates all the bad points from all other types of irrigation.

Regards
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by TangoAlpha: 11:59am On Sep 20, 2019
Wizs2019:

Hey,

This happens more than I would like it to especially when there is a strong cross wind. What I try to do is check all the bamboo poles and top wires before every planting season and replace any weak ones. I am still looking for a permanent solution.

PS. From your other question permit me to suggest one thing, For cucumber, drip irrigation is the easiest irrigation solution to have success with as it negates all the bad points from all other types of irrigation.

Regards

Hello bro,

If you are willing to commit additional funds for staking, then the 'A-Frame' staking design might be the way to go. It is a sturdier method. But you are likely going to need almost three times the amount of bamboo you currently use.

And I am not surprised you have that challenge particularly going by the volume of yield you record for your production.

Nuel2good, if funding isn't much of a limitation, drip system is what you should be looking at (as advised by Wizs2019). Even if funding is an issue, plan on how you can gradually implement drip system.

If irrigation is your biggest challenge with cucumber, then we can say you have identified the solution to your biggest headache; pending implementation.

Cheers
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by westliverenterp: 3:56pm On Sep 20, 2019
What is the cost of a hectare of land in oyo state or ogun?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:47pm On Sep 20, 2019
nuel2good:
Good day Okoroemeka,

Thanks for the enlightenment. I have tried several seasons of cucumber with very little results but have started noting the mistakes I made from your posts on this forum. I have a few questions please:

1. How do you manage furrow irrigation on your farm ie is it just the pumps and delivery hose or are there added equipment and techniques( I must confess it is almost impossible relocating hoses once full)

2. When you use sunphosate for weed control, doesnt it affect the cukes when using furrow irrigation method?

3. Please how did you manage to replant the cukes damaged by rodents? Did you raise a nursery bed in anticipation or you used rodenticides on the seeds?

4. What is your irrigation regime as you had a mixture of furrow and sprinklers?

God bless your hustle.
for questions no1,we don't use furrow irrigation,it's best left for the northern farmers,we have expert workers that use flexible hose and pump during dry season,but we will port over to drip this coming season.no2-we use herbicides 2 weeks or more before planting so the chemical residue can dissipate,in as much glyphosate base herbicides is not soil residual but you can't trust these China products not to misbehave occasionally.no-3 we do nursery to replant dead or weak crops, even during the peak of rainy season or cold harmattan perods we do nursery through out and cover it and transplant in 6 -7 days ,no-4 if you use drip it will enhance efficiency of your farm,but if you are not financial buoyant to afford it you can use hose and pump with the hole system it's tested and trusted but it comes with a price,more labour.during the hottest period of the year jan-march if you are not using drip you really have to think out of the box to aviod producing bitter cukes,and that period is when it's costilest,it has to be for a reason.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by nuel2good: 8:24pm On Sep 20, 2019
Thanks a million @TangoAlpha @Wizs2019 @Okoroemeka for the quick responses and detailed explanations. Will consider the drip system probably next year.

Will make arrangement for farm land beside a steady flowing stream in my villa to try out the hole system.

Will update progress when its ready so my teachers can guide appropriately.

Thanks once again.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:35pm On Sep 20, 2019
I normally receive calls and WhatsApp msgs by fellow farmers about effective management of vegetables farm for maximum production,I was discussing with a farmer in Benin,on how to best manage cabbage crops to aviod bolting and he said that one satchet (50 grams) of cu 999 normally gives him 100 bags of cucumbers and he usually harvests for 12 times, incredible it may sound but it's true,if the soil is super fertile and the management sound it's not a big deal,I have seen a friend pull such yield from a dry alluvial flood plain, however incredible it may sound but it's true,give cucumbers a fertile soil and good management you will see then go crazy with yield,
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:47pm On Sep 20, 2019
nuel2good:
Thanks a million @TangoAlpha @Wizs2019 @Okoroemeka for the quick responses and detailed explanations. Will consider the drip system probably next year.

Will make arrangement for farm land beside a steady flowing stream in my villa to try out the hole system.

Will update progress when its ready so my teachers can guide appropriately.

Thanks once again.
you can easily do that,I have a crazy farmer friend that used 2 hoses and two water pumps to irrigate more than 1 acre of cucumbers last year December crazy it may sound but it worked and they got 800 bags of cucumbers from that farm@#5,000 per bag you will see the reason he and 4 workers worked like jaki on the farm
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by anelka78: 9:40pm On Sep 20, 2019
Mr okoro our able teacher please sir what is the average number of bags every four days from a 3acre pepper farm with the best agronomy? Thanks
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FarmTech(m): 9:57pm On Sep 20, 2019
okoroemeka:
we are using 30cm spacing it gives more crop population and that means more fruits, with good management it has overall better yield, using 60cm is just waste of space,there is a 4 plot farm we are preparing to plant next week Thursday,it will be 30 cm or 1 feet spacing on ridges and 2-3 feet between ridges
I'm happy to hear this. I will try it small scale and see.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FarmTech(m): 10:06pm On Sep 20, 2019
okoroemeka:
for questions no1,we don't use furrow irrigation,it's best left for the northern farmers,we have expert workers that use flexible hose and pump during dry season,but we will port over to drip this coming season.no2-we use herbicides 2 weeks or more before planting so the chemical residue can dissipate,in as much glyphosate base herbicides is not soil residual but you can't trust these China products not to misbehave occasionally.no-3 we do nursery to replant dead or weak crops, even during the peak of rainy season or cold harmattan perods we do nursery through out and cover it and transplant in 6 -7 days ,no-4 if you use drip it will enhance efficiency of your farm,but if you are not financial buoyant to afford it you can use hose and pump with the hole system it's tested and trusted but it comes with a price,more labour.during the hottest period of the year jan-march if you are not using drip you really have to think out of the box to aviod producing bitter cukes,and that period is when it's costilest,it has to be for a reason.
Pls what do u mean by the hole system, is it furrow system?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:19am On Sep 21, 2019
anelka78:
Mr okoro our able teacher please sir what is the average number of bags every four days from a 3acre pepper farm with the best agronomy? Thanks
that is a very big project and for perennial crops on a land that size you don't wait 4 days to harvest it will be harvested everyday,the farm will have 5 workers that their work will only be harvesting ripe pepper if you wait 4 days you will get roughly 65-70 bags and lots of damaged and spoiled fruits because no matter the type of labour used it can never be harvested in a day,but if you harvest daily 15-20 bags everyday 3-4 plots,we used that system on a 22 plot garden egg farm we did in partners hip with eagle foods,we harvest 5 plots daily before we cover the whole farm the first 5 plots we harvested are 4-5 days old and ready for harvesting again,steady continuous production,no stopping,from my estimates if you plant a mixture of avenir,big sun and efia habaneros on a land that size and got the management spot on,you will see daily revenue of #100,000naira easily,if you have contacts of bulk buyers in east or especially south south prices of veggies there are crazy.i know a marketer that comes with his Peugeot jumper bus to your farm and be taking the produce to PH,Calabar,warri,etc,

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:28am On Sep 21, 2019
FarmTech:

Pls what do u mean by the hole system, is it furrow system?
we used the hole system below on our okra farm it makes application of manure/fertilizer easy, irrigation is also efficient you can use hose and pump and water into individual holes it will retain a good quantities of water and be sipping down into the soil,if you try all these things on a flat ridge without hole you will understand what I mean,but the spacing below is for okra,if for cucumbers use appropriate spacing for cukes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FarmTech(m): 10:20pm On Sep 21, 2019
okoroemeka:
we used the hole system below on our okra farm it makes application of manure/fertilizer easy, irrigation is also efficient you can use hose and pump and water into individual holes it will retain a good quantities of water and be sipping down into the soil,if you try all these things on a flat ridge without hole you will understand what I mean,but the spacing below is for okra,if for cucumbers use appropriate spacing for cukes
Thanks. Which type of pump can someone use? The 6.5hp pump i have will devastate them and cause erosion.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 12:16pm On Sep 22, 2019
FarmTech:

Thanks. Which type of pump can someone use? The 6.5hp pump i have will devastate them and cause erosion.
reduce it from the 2 or 3 inch discharge blue flexible hose to a smaller 1 inch or 3/4 white hose and reduce engine speed it will not cause erosion
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Liadi2(m): 2:45pm On Sep 22, 2019
I have NPK 20:10:10 for sale in ibadan Ido local government area Omi-Adio
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by geekulture: 7:32pm On Sep 22, 2019
Wonderful thread. I've been following this for a long time, I'm just setting up my farm and i am about to do 10ha of hot pepper (rodo).

I planted a test acre of Avenir F1, the yield was over superb. However I noticed the following

1. The taste of the pepper is slightly different to that I buy from the open market in Lagos.

2. The sizes are very big, they are not like the hot pepper (rodo) I get in the lagos market.

The gurus with vast experience, please I have this question, as i intend supplying markets in south west, oyo, ogun and lagos state.

1. Are Avenir F1 accepted in these markets based on your experience?

2. What are the hot pepper (rodo) species that are well accepted in these markets.

Thank you all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by FarmTech(m): 8:58pm On Sep 22, 2019
okoroemeka:
reduce it from the 2 or 3 inch discharge blue flexible hose to a smaller 1 inch or 3/4 white hose and reduce engine speed it will not cause erosion
ok thanks.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:16pm On Sep 22, 2019
geekulture:
Wonderful thread. I've been following this for a long time, I'm just setting up my farm and i am about to do 10ha of hot pepper (rodo).

I planted a test acre of Avenir F1, the yield was over superb. However I noticed the following

1. The taste of the pepper is slightly different to that I buy from the open market in Lagos.

2. The sizes are very big, they are not like the hot pepper (rodo) I get in the lagos market.

The gurus with vast experience, please I have this question, as i intend supplying markets in south west, oyo, ogun and lagos state.

2. What are the hot pepper (rodo) species that are well accepted in these markets.

Thank you all.
to me the taste of avenir pepper in a fresh pot of soup is heaven on Earth,I am still looking for a pepper that can give that wierd goat meat flavour,that spicy scent is linked with the crops fertility,it's one early warning system that your crops need nutrients,if you can't smell the pepper,it's time to fertlize,the big size is another potential problems because buyers associate small size peppers with spicy and considers big size peppers not spicy,you can solve the size problems by planting other medium sized varieties like efia and mixing it with the avenir to get a good mix of big and small sized fruits,you can also use big sun,Etna or safi.but seriously anybody that likes good food that uses avenir will look for it again.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 10:12pm On Sep 22, 2019
geekulture:

1. The taste of the pepper is slightly different to that I buy from the open market in Lagos. How did not you now dispose off your test acre if the size is a problem

Thank you all.
how did you now dispose off the produce from your test acre if the size is a problem
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by geekulture: 11:12pm On Sep 22, 2019
Olaleyeabdullah:
how did you now dispose off the produce from your test acre if the size is a problem

The size is not the problem it's a consideration.
The acre was segmented into quarter plots. Each planted separately. The quarter plot we used drips and mulch performed best. It started flowering way before the others. The quantity of produce was very encouraging, but not enough to push to market. We gave permission to our workers to harvest and use.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by geekulture: 11:13pm On Sep 22, 2019
okoroemeka:
to me the taste of avenir pepper in a fresh pot of soup is heaven on Earth,I am still looking for a pepper that can give that wierd goat meat flavour,that spicy scent is linked with the crops fertility,it's one early warning system that your crops need nutrients,if you can't smell the pepper,it's time to fertlize,the big size is another potential problems because buyers associate small size peppers with spicy and considers big size peppers not spicy,you can solve the size problems by planting other medium sized varieties like efia and mixing it with the avenir to get a good mix of big and small sized fruits,you can also use big sun,Etna or safi.but seriously anybody that likes good food that uses avenir will look for it again.

Thanks, was considering this option as well.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 1:47am On Sep 23, 2019
okoroemeka:
that is a very big project and for perennial crops on a land that size you don't wait 4 days to harvest it will be harvested everyday,the farm will have 5 workers that their work will only be harvesting ripe pepper if you wait 4 days you will get roughly 65-70 bags and lots of damaged and spoiled fruits because no matter the type of labour used it can never be harvested in a day,but if you harvest daily 15-20 bags everyday 3-4 plots,we used that system on a 22 plot garden egg farm we did in partners hip with eagle foods,we harvest 5 plots daily before we cover the whole farm the first 5 plots we harvested are 4-5 days old and ready for harvesting again,steady continuous production,no stopping,from my estimates if you plant a mixture of avenir,big sun and efia habaneros on a land that size and got the management spot on,you will see daily revenue of #100,000naira easily,if you have contacts of bulk buyers in east or especially south south prices of veggies there are crazy.i know a marketer that comes with his Peugeot jumper bus to your farm and be taking the produce to PH,Calabar,warri,etc,
what are the features of d efia nd big sun?what feature compares to avenir? is any of them as spicy as avenir? also can monthly application of only chicken dung manure compare with varied fertilizer application?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 5:55am On Sep 23, 2019
ideepaul:

what are the features of d efia nd big sun?what feature compares to avenir? is any of them as spicy as avenir? also can monthly application of only chicken dung manure compare with varied fertilizer application?
I think efia is pure habanero(danjarawa)while avenir and big sun is scotch bonnet,big sun is slightly same with avenir but it has smaller fruits and less spicy smell,efia is the normal pepper planted by northern farmers so it blends well in the market, monthly application of manure is good,if you can handle the logistics and headache that comes with organic manure,but crops do best on a diet of organic manure and inorganic fertilizer together.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by vosquare: 7:54am On Sep 23, 2019
Wizs2019:

Hey,

Regards
It will cost more money o.. I also use wire method for some sections too but I make the bamboo more closer. Can use up to 13 14 bamboos on a 40m ridge. But anyways, these are other methods.

The first 2 pictures are from jethro2 farm.. She's also a nairalander
The last 2 are from my own farm... I'm also a nairalander grin

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 7:30pm On Sep 23, 2019
vosquare:

It will cost more money o.. I also use wire method for some sections too but I make the bamboo more closer. Can use up to 13 14 bamboos on a 40m ridge. But anyways, these are other methods.

The first 2 pictures are from jethro2 farm.. She's also a nairalander
The last 2 are from my own farm... I'm also a nairalander grin
seems your farm is located next to a bamboo forest and you have excess materials,that Jethro style is the best in economizing material,but we remove that support leg that made the scaffold look like a FIFA goal post,just two bamboo dug in deep like 1ft and half in ground with a cross pole is enough,we used the A frame of crossing two poles,but later found out it's waste of materials and it restricts movement of people/air and clutters the whole farm

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Yemighty2(m): 9:03pm On Sep 23, 2019
Wizs2019:
Hello my people, how una dey.

The next season of cucumber is going on well. God is great. So I thought I should update and encourage everyone.

For this season, we planted mostly dark green Darina cultivar but also planted Cu999 (my ever sure!). The total plant population is just over 7000. Some are at Day 28 and others at Day 30. We will be harvesting next week by the special grace of God.

Is anyone using the recipe I posted a few weeks ago? If they are trying please I would love to hear how you're progressing.

Special mentions to my lil bros (Bros Emeka's sons) it's good to see the entrepreneurship spirit! The young shall definitely grow. But Bro Emeka I didn't know you were that old eh wink That's why you also have to be respectful in any platform because you never know the person you interacting with. My only little one is bearly 2 years old, I have a long way to go before he can start his own summer project.

Stay blessed.

Bros I hail ooo

please kindly help me with this questions

1)Did you make ridges for the plants.
2) pls how did u get (buy)ur driptapes.
3) Did you apply organic manure.

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (127) (Reply)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.