Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,962 members, 7,810,660 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. - Agriculture (74) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. (277921 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / 200 Graduates Get N74m, Free Land In Ogun / Irrigation For One Plot Of Land on Low Budget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (127) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okorookwus(m): 5:17pm On Mar 28, 2020
Really enlightening. grin grin
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by AshinzeNonso: 6:27pm On Mar 28, 2020
HornyTave:

Vegetable farming is very technical, the stress would be less if she wants to use animals not humans, and for a girl, you know na, those guys go try to intimidate her.

if she can kick off 3 plots max with modern systems and hybrid seeds, she would profit more than an hectare
Sure true
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by mirabel9(f): 6:46am On Mar 29, 2020
HornyTave:

are you the gal who want to start cucumber on hectare for the first time.

no am not,

but will also love to know more about growing cucumbers on a commercial basis,

although has anyone used seeds gotten from cucumbers sold in the market to plant before?

Was thinking is it a must we buy hybrid seeds or else the plant productions will be of low yield

why dont we get seeds from fresh cucumbers as we do with fresh tomato and peppers?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by HornyTave: 6:55am On Mar 29, 2020
mirabel9:

no am not,

although has anyone used seeds gotten from cucumbers sold in the market to plant before?

Was thinking is it a must we buy hybrid seeds or else the plant productions will be of low yield

why dont we get seeds from fresh cucumbers as we do with fresh tomato and peppers?

Pepper is more diseases resistant than cucumber and pepper also there are lots of cucumber seeds from heirloom to opv, to hybrid and green house varieties. to be on a safer side it is advised to plant hybrids due to it's resistance to diseases and crazy yeilds.

I haven't done tomatoes though I'm planning to do tomatoes this year.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Mrkellz: 12:02pm On Mar 29, 2020
okoroemeka:
many farmers I know are pulling back on planting this trying period for reasons that are quite obvious panic, recession, etc ,caused by the global health crisis but whatever happens the economics of supply and demand will always manifest because by the time the produce that supposed to be planted now are to be harvested there will be a sharp drop in supply due to less crops were planted during the health crisis and the demand and prices may go up,but the Outlook is not so Rosy in the long run considering the low prices of oil,but it is obvious that the aftershocks of the low oil prices will strike but not immediately maybe in 3-5 months,by then any farmer that is brave and crazy enough to do a large scale operation this time will cash out.

I believe prices will shoot up... Nigeria cannot lock down because people will die... People will rather be sick than die. Im facing my farming head on boss. I believe foodstuff over fruits will sell, except more generally accepted and cheaper Fruits. Pls can you help me with a reputable seed seller's contact? Thanks.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 2:16pm On Mar 29, 2020
Mrkellz:

I believe prices will shoot up... Nigeria cannot lock down because people will die... People will rather be sick than die. Im facing my farming head on boss. I believe foodstuff over fruits will sell, except more generally accepted and cheaper Fruits. Pls can you help me with a reputable seed seller's contact? Thanks.
what type of seed do you want?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 2:27pm On Mar 29, 2020
mirabel9:

no am not,

it is better to use proven hybrid seeds for commercial cucumber farm to save yourself from had I known,we have used seeds extracted from ripe cu 999 fruits and replanted,it germinated 90%,the growth was fantastic but the yield was a mess,all the fruits were short and turned yellow like local cucumber before 4 days it could be harvested,it was a total disaster, since then we have had unpleasant experience with even some hybrid varieties that are total flops like monalsa or lion seed forever f1, we don't mess with any unproven variety ,if it is not Murano,,darina or cu 999 I am not interested these 3 varieties has been proven under rainy,dry and harmattan seasons and they stood strong.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by lizdammy: 4:40pm On Mar 29, 2020
okoroemeka:
it is better to use proven hybrid seeds for commercial cucumber farm to save yourself from had I known,we have used seeds extracted from ripe cu 999 fruits and replanted,it germinated 90%,the growth was fantastic but the yield was a mess,all the fruits were short and turned yellow like local cucumber before 4 days it could be harvested,it was a total disaster, since then we have had unpleasant experience with even some hybrid varieties that are total flops like monalsa or lion seed forever f1, we don't mess with any unproven variety ,if it is not Murano,,darina or cu 999 I am not interested these 3 varieties has been proven under rainy,dry and harmattan seasons and they stood strong.
Thanks
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Mrkellz: 9:01pm On Mar 29, 2020
okoroemeka:
what type of seed do you want?

California wonder
Tatase
Heat and split resistant cabbage.

Please do you have experience with California wonder?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 10:21pm On Mar 29, 2020
Mrkellz:

California wonder
Tatase
Heat and split resistant cabbage.

Please do you have experience with California wonder?
California wonder is heirloom or opv and is produced by many seed companies,so it depends on the one you want.tatase from nihort is available,for cabbages that will be tricky,I have a friend that planted Olsen seed Gloria cabbage and it worked like a charm,if you can find that use it.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Mrkellz: 12:35am On Mar 30, 2020
okoroemeka:
California wonder is heirloom or opv and is produced by many seed companies,so it depends on the one you want.tatase from nihort is available,for cabbages that will be tricky,I have a friend that planted Olsen seed Gloria cabbage and it worked like a charm,if you can find that use it.

My question is who can i can get them from here on NL because I've searched my city but nothing.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by westliverenterp: 9:14am On Apr 02, 2020
Gud morning how much is cucumber seed and where can I get them in porthacourt?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by calixjabs(f): 1:38pm On Apr 02, 2020
westliverenterp:

contact Mr okoromeka, he's the best bet.
he will do it waybill for you from IMO state
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tpben: 2:50pm On Apr 02, 2020
Are you sure waybill is still working?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 4:14pm On Apr 02, 2020
tpben:
Are you sure waybill is still working?
my brother you are correct,I still have some farmers waybills that are trapped by the lockdown, crossing from our side to anambra state is like crossing seme border there are policemen even in the bush paths to restrict movement 24 hours daily,or less you wait till the dust settles.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by pipi84(m): 8:52pm On Apr 02, 2020
westliverenterp:

Which seed do you want to plant in portharcourt? Hope you've done your market survey very well, else you go and do it very well . thanks
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:05pm On Apr 08, 2020
HornyTave:

The lockdown coupled with economic downturn would make some vegetable crops , less profitable.
the law of supply and demand is a fickle mistress,if someone predicted that buyers will be coming from far places looking for cucumbers and other veggies to buy in this current lockdown I will not believe,the only problem with sales of cukes now is the policemen blocking the roads,the demand is strong and price is still good,this are good indicators that market will remain strong through next month because many farmers and labourers ran away to their homes for Corona hibernation.

2 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by HornyTave: 1:11am On Apr 09, 2020
okoroemeka:
the law of supply and demand is a fickle mistress,if someone predicted that buyers will be coming from far places looking for cucumbers and other veggies to buy in this current lockdown I will not believe,the only problem with sales of cukes now is the policemen blocking the roads,the demand is strong and price is still good,this are good indicators that market will remain strong through next month because many farmers and labourers ran away to their homes for Corona hibernation.

Regional factor also played a big role.
I've seen numerous advert on Facebook lamenting how they'll sell their cukes also I've seen one in the east, still on Facebook.

The east is not shutdown unlike the west.

I think that's the reason
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Psalmy2cute(m): 8:42am On Apr 09, 2020
HornyTave:

Regional factor also played a big role.
I've seen numerous advert on Facebook lamenting how they'll sell their cukes also I've seen one in the east, still on Facebook.

The east is not shutdown unlike the west.

I think that's the reason
my mom is in delta state.. and even in this current lockdown ... shes going to another local government to buy garri today.. was suprised when she told me.. most states in ss and se.. are only observing the interstate lockdown.. talking about staying at home and no coming out is a no go area for them
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by HornyTave: 9:57am On Apr 09, 2020
Psalmy2cute:

my mom is in delta state.. and even in this current lockdown ... shes going to another local government to buy garri today.. was suprised when she told me.. most states in ss and se.. are only observing the interstate lockdown.. talking about staying at home and no coming out is a no go area for them

That's my point actually unlike some part of other region.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by codeQue: 2:27pm On Apr 21, 2020
okoroemeka:
exactly,the market don't like what it's not familiar with,my farmer friend planted that long variety sometime and I had the opportunity to taste it,the taste was better, crisp and super slimy,but the market don't like the long size,I think in veggies it's best to play safe and plant what is in local demand,you can't go wrong with those varieties in the pics.

Oga okoroemeka, kindly confirm, this are Okra Hire and Clemson Spineless right? I want to plant some okra and all seeds im seeing is clemson spineless.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 3:34pm On Apr 21, 2020
codeQue:

Oga okoroemeka, kindly confirm, this are Okra Hire and Clemson Spineless right? I want to plant some okra and all seeds im seeing is clemson spineless.
Clemson spineless ,nihort nh-43ae,kirikou are the varieties I know that will be sold before it is even harvested,and the best season for okra is around the corner,target to harvest between july-august okra are usually scarce and costly by that time.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by OluchiDelly: 6:29pm On Apr 21, 2020
codeQue:

SW open markets don't like Clemson for reasons best known to them, they only manage to buy it when Hire and other short pods varieties are scarce in the markets, that's usually Feb to April. Let your market dictate what you plant.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by codeQue: 10:51am On Apr 22, 2020
Thanks for the detailed tip.

okoroemeka:
Clemson spineless ,nihort nh-43ae,kirikou are the varieties I know that will be sold before it is even harvested,and the best season for okra is around the corner,target to harvest between july-august okra are usually scarce and costly by that time.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by codeQue: 10:51am On Apr 22, 2020
Thanks OluchiDelly

OluchiDelly:

SW open markets don't like Clemson for reasons best known to them, they only manage to buy it when Hire and other short pods varieties are scarce in the markets, that's usually Feb to April. Let your market dictate what you plant.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Ebbybam: 11:05am On Apr 23, 2020
Please can I plant okra on where I want to plant pepper? because the paper is still on the nursery bed, but I want to make the ridges now and plant okra, (the one of 40 days)

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 1:25pm On Apr 23, 2020
Ebbybam:
Please can I plant okra on where I want to plant pepper? because the paper is still on the nursery bed, but I want to make the ridges now and plant okra, (the one of 40 days)
well ,the peppers will spend 30 days in nursery and will need transplanting by then the okra will be flowering and I doubt there's any okra variety u harvest in 40 days,but the best alternative is to retrransplant the pepper in single grow bags for more growth till the okra gives up then you transplant the pepper.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Futurejoy(f): 4:38pm On Apr 23, 2020
I did a research on cucumber production during my undergraduate years and I can tell you that cucumber production is one sweet business
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:26pm On Apr 23, 2020
Futurejoy:
I did a research on cucumber production during my undergraduate years and I can tell you that cucumber production is one sweet business
it is sweet if everything worked according to plan,and it will be bitter more than quinine if it didn't work out and you will start to hear the sound of koboko on your back and Monday hammer on your head,and believe me my head has received more hammer blows than I care to remember.

2 Likes

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Futurejoy(f): 10:17pm On Apr 23, 2020
okoroemeka:
it is sweet if everything worked according to plan,and it will be bitter more than quinine if it didn't work out and you will start to hear the sound of koboko on your back and Monday hammer on your head,and believe me my head has received more hammer blows than I care to remember.
Lol....I failed at my first attempt plus the fact that it was my project work, I had to start all over again and it went well. Though the research duration extended to about 7months instead of 3 3 .
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Victornezzar: 10:31pm On Apr 23, 2020
Futurejoy:

Lol....I failed at my first attempt plus the fact that it was my project work, I had to start all over again and it went well. Though the research duration extended to about 7months instead of 3 3 .
What caused the 1st failure
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 6:34am On Apr 24, 2020
Victornezzar:

What caused the 1st failure
seems you are eager to learn let me give you some insights on the things that has caused total failures on our farm. (1)we have sprayed high dose of insecticide by 1 pm,sun is blasting and a whole 5 weeks farm withered and died in 4 days (2) soil nematodes (3) insufficient and unplanned irrigation (4) reckless application of urea (5) too close density planting (6) using old bamboo and old ropes for staking (7) spraying the oyibo recommend dose of Haifa/450 gram per knapsack (coolDowny mildrew (9) trying to save bees by not spraying insecticide the result was not funny (10) experimenting with unproven seed varieties

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (127) (Reply)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.